Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Cash you should have 5 appointments with your gp over the course of you being pregnant (6 when it's your second baby) there is a kind of general schedule laid out and it's every second visit is gp but it's not as rigid as that. If your gp just did those general checks it sounds like a maternity visit to me and you should have had it marked as one of those combined care appointments. I am lucky to have a brilliant gp (took ages to find one I liked!) and she always makes my visits combined care when pregnant and I think I went over my alloted amount of visits (I think you can get extra for specific maternity related issues) . I would definitely question why you had to pay 55 for that last visit, it's not fair on you. And you shouldn't be put off visiting your gp for a real pregnancy issue because of money, i reckon that is why this free service is in place so that you get the care you need and not ignore problems.

Cash I should have also said that I would definitely change gp if the one you have is useless or doesn't suit you. I learned my lesson the hard way when it came to other health issues and went through 4 GP's before I found one who I liked and who was up to scratch in my eyes and I am happy I did that. Not sure how changing mid pregnancy with the combined care but is something you should look into even after. Why pay for an inferior service, your health is your wealth as they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes and you’ll be seeing a LOT of your GP as the pregnancy progresses, especially in the third trimester. So gotta have one you like and trust.

Last pregnancy, I had a couple of extra GP visits due to antenatal depression and she didn’t charge me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yes and you’ll be seeing a LOT of your GP as the pregnancy progresses, especially in the third trimester. So gotta have one you like and trust.

Last pregnancy, I had a couple of extra GP visits due to antenatal depression and she didn’t charge me.

It probably balances out for them, i didn’t use all my GP ones because I was transferred back to the consultant for almost everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Jodee08 wrote: »
    I was just told in the hispital to see GP between hospital visits - nothing concrete. I had my booking appt at 12 weeks and next hospital appt is at 21 weeks so I’m gonna see my GP at 17 weeks.
    GP checks urine, BP, does an abdominal exam and if far enough along will use a doppler to listen to baby’s heartbeat.

I saw consultant at 14 weeks it's usually closer to 12 but I was late booking. Was told see gp between then and 20 weeks only if something was bothering me. After 20 weeks it's every 4 weeks between consultant and gp so 24 and 28 and I think and not sure when it goes to every 2 weeks either at 30 or 32.

I had my booking appointment at 12 weeks and have an appointment with the Consultant at 17.5 weeks which is in line with this http://www.welldonemum.ie/A_MatInfantcare.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

My booking appointment won't be until 16w5d! Seems really late to me.

Only for I paid for a private scan at 10 weeks, and have been hospitalised twice with morning sickness, no doctor would have seen me at all! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Cash_Q wrote:
    Were you told to do this by your midwife at the booking appointment or scan? Or did your GP?

I was told by my gp at original appointment to come back to her in 1 months time, I had booking appointment for hospital 5 weeks after original gp visit so didn't bodder going to gp.
    The midwife said the gp should give you appointments but most of them don't so I should organise it myself.
    If i only get 5 visits I might spread mine out more.

My booking appointment won't be until 16w5d! Seems really late to me.

Only for I paid for a private scan at 10 weeks, and have been hospitalised twice with morning sickness, no doctor would have seen me at all! :-(

What hospital is that? I know someone in the rotunda who will be 17 weeks which is mental.

• Advertisement

What hospital is that? I know someone in the rotunda who will be 17 weeks which is mental.

Yep Rotunda.

I rang them at 8 weeks to make a booking appointment and that's all they offered. :-/

Yep Rotunda.

I rang them at 8 weeks to make a booking appointment and that's all they offered. :-/

Honestly I’d be onto the media, that’s a disgrace is you ask me. Sure it’s incredibly late for a dating scan too

Ha! I won't call Joe Duffy just yet! It looks like October is a busy time in the Rotunda.

Honestly I did expect to get an appointment sooner. It is my first time but I'm 36, from all the reading I've been doing it'd make you paranoid that you need extra checking on.

I mean I don't have any health complications, but they don't know that!

Honestly I’d be onto the media, that’s a disgrace is you ask me. Sure it’s incredibly late for a dating scan too

Holles St do their dating at the 22 week anomaly scan! As many women don’t get a 12 week scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Yep Rotunda.

On my last pregnancy I was booked in and scanned at 17 weeks and my friend was even later. It wasn't the rotunda and it was a dating scan not an anomoly scan.unfortunately Anomoly scans still aren't guaranteed in all hospitals. I think the hospital I'm attending does if you are over 35.

I know it's so hard not to worry and the waiting is a killer but you've got your dates from an early scan and how many babies, which is what you would have got from an earlier booking scan. It's just a pity that there is no standard rules between the hospitals. They should give you your next appointment before you leave the booking one so hopefully the wait won't be as long,

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Yeah i had my dating scan at the booking appointment at 13 weeks and my next one isn’t until 36 weeks to check the placenta but we’re booking a private anomaly scan for peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

greenttc wrote:
    Cash you should have 5 appointments with your gp over the course of you being pregnant (6 when it's your second baby) there is a kind of general schedule laid out and it's every second visit is gp but it's not as rigid as that. If your gp just did those general checks it sounds like a maternity visit to me and you should have had it marked as one of those combined care appointments. I am lucky to have a brilliant gp (took ages to find one I liked!) and she always makes my visits combined care when pregnant and I think I went over my alloted amount of visits (I think you can get extra for specific maternity related issues) . I would definitely question why you had to pay 55 for that last visit, it's not fair on you. And you shouldn't be put off visiting your gp for a real pregnancy issue because of money, i reckon that is why this free service is in place so that you get the care you need and not ignore problems.

greenttc wrote:
    Cash I should have also said that I would definitely change gp if the one you have is useless or doesn't suit you

I only moved to this practice about a year ago and so far have found them good between one male and one female doctor. There's been a replacement female doctor for my last two visits and she's fine but I was so confused after my first appointment and then the other day I thought she kind of could have just mate it a full 'combined care' visit so I'll ring them and see if I can get my money back or of I can book in again for whatever she may have done at a combined care visit that she didn't do on Thursday?!

I have my first consultant appointment on Wednesday 16th of May so I kind of don't really care about seeing the GP but would be great to get that 55 back!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I only moved to this practice about a year ago and so far have found them good between one male and one female doctor. There's been a replacement female doctor for my last two visits and she's fine but I was so confused after my first appointment and then the other day I thought she kind of could have just mate it a full 'combined care' visit so I'll ring them and see if I can get my money back or of I can book in again for whatever she may have done at a combined care visit that she didn't do on Thursday?!

I have my first consultant appointment on Wednesday 16th of May so I kind of don't really care about seeing the GP but would be great to get that 55 back!

So the two regular doctors were good, well that is great, if that is the case just specify that you want to see one of them and don't go see the locum, she seems to be the problem for you. I never go see a locum if they are the only option, I am sure lots are okay but if I am paying (or even if I am not due to combined care) I want to see the doctor I know and who knows me.

I have a friend who feels the same and after one bad appointment she had with a locum she actually went to the reception desk and said she was not happy with the appointment and the receptionist didn't charge her as she understood. I thought that was really fair and my friend saw the proper doc the next day and paid.

Don't accept less than the best, cash!

Interested in hearing how you get on with getting your 55 back.

You can ask about the magnesium in the 16th if may so, hopefully the migraines will have passed by then though!

Funny enough I saw a locum doctor today and I didn’t think anything of it, having worked as a locum myself for many years and knowing I do a great job. But he was really not great and I wasn’t happy at all. €65 down the drain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have asked for specific doctors at my own doctor surgery, especially for maternity appointments because locums can be very hit and miss.
    I don't mind one of us going in with a throat/ear infection or something I'm fairly sure of, to see any doctor in the surgery, but if it's maternity, or something else, I prefer to wait and get an appointment with the doctors there that I know and I am happy with, and will ask for that.

Funny enough I saw a locum doctor today and I didn’t think anything of it, having worked as a locum myself for many years and knowing I do a great job. But he was really not great and I wasn’t happy at all. €65 down the drain.

Are you a doctor caitriona? Funny how we all know so much about each other but we really know very little (and why would we on a public discussion bored anyway!) every little thing you learn ads new dimensions to things though doesn't it!

I think I would have taken a lead out of my friends book though and said something about the doctor not being great though!

Shesty you sound sound like me, I always ask for specific doctors, I just feel in safer hands that way.

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote: »

Are you a doctor caitriona? Funny how we all know so much about each other but we really know very little (and why would we on a public discussion bored anyway!) every little thing you learn ads new dimensions to things though doesn't it!

I think I would have taken a lead out of my friends book though and said something about the doctor not being great though!

Shesty you sound sound like me, I always ask for specific doctors, I just feel in safer hands that way.

Nope not a doctor, but another type of health professional (would rather not say!).

I thought about complaining at reception, but I was feeling so ill and was really lightheaded and just didn’t have the energy.

I thought about complaining at reception, but I was feeling so ill and was really lightheaded and just didn’t have the energy.

That's how I was on Thursday, couldn't face arguing my case to be covered under combined care so just figured I wouldn't be charged if it was covered.

I don't know that she's a locum because she seems to be there all the time now, maybe the sitting doctor is on leave now, I must ask. She's fine like but I just don't feel well informed when I leave there. Although I haven't felt well informed leaving midwife/sonographer either. I never think of questions at the time but then hear so much from others after that I wonder should I have been told about e.g. taking iron/not taking iron; sleeping on your back/side/left side only...probably kind of trivial stuff but it's like they check you over and send you off with zero information and we just have to wing it and basically carry on as normal.

Very wary of locums here after one told me I was over reacting about my lad and there was nothing wrong with him (he was around 18 months). Then he checked his temperature and had to strip him off and keep him there for over an hour until his temp came down. He then told us there was no throat issue and to just keep an eye on him

Less than 10 hours later we were in A and E with a sky high temperature and strep throat (which the A and E doc was stunned he didn’t see as apparently it was brutal). Was very unimpressed so I try not to go now if it’s a locum

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Lots of action here! Hope everyone's migraines clear up. Can't believe the late booking appts...I understand the hospitals are busy but still. The lack of a routine anomaly scan is a national scandal.

Had a 16 week appt with consultant on Monday, great to get another scan! He changed my due date to October 11. I am actually a week behind going on my LMP which really makes me think I had a failed implantation last time...

Turns out my haemoglobin is getting low so have to start Galfer, at least every alternate day which I hope does not worsen my ahem MOVEMENTS which are already shall we say SLUGGISH... using Dulcosoft and eating prunes every morning so he told me to keep going with that.

Has anyone else had days where they just can't get enough food into them? I had one today - is that normal, or a growth spurt or am I just a pig? Answers on a postcard...

Clacla82 I was a pig on Monday night and ended up being sick for ages. Can't get dinners into me but all the junk in the world goes down a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

I wont have my next scan until week 34. Anyone any recommendations for a private anomaly scan. Around Meath/Louth but can travel to Dublin.
    Would prefer place that does Saturday appointment

Clacla82 I was a pig on Monday night and ended up being sick for ages. Can't get dinners into me but all the junk in the world goes down a treat!

Oh no! I can get dinners AND junk into me, lucky me (CRIES)

My appetite is rubbish at the moment as I’ve been sick for over a week now with a virus. Just as my morning sickness started easing up too. I’m hoping it clears soon but the pessimist inside me says that as soon as it does, SPD will be waiting for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Jutton wrote: »
    I wont have my next scan until week 34. Anyone any recommendations for a private anomaly scan. Around Meath/Louth but can travel to Dublin.

We used babyscan.ie for our early scan at 9 weeks think it was 99 euro, would highly recommend! so nice and friendly.. God that's a long gap until next scan, I am 16 weeks today back in the hospital next Tuesday to see the consultant again and that will be my forth scan in 17 weeks.. I have my big scan in the Coombe 7th June and I will be 21 weeks then, is anyone dying to know the sex of their baby yet!? Still havent bought anything going to wait until after June.. Another question girls, if you are planning on breastfeeding are you buying bottles steriliser etc or not??

Orange369 wrote:
    I am 16 weeks today back in the hospital next Tuesday to see the consultant again and that will be my forth scan in 17 weeks.. Another question girls, if you are planning on breastfeeding are you buying bottles steriliser etc or not??

I'm public in the Coombe and seeing consultant on 16th of May will I get a scan that day?

I'm hoping to breastfeed but also open to combined or bottle if breast doesn't work out. My friend bought me a Tommee Tippee set with breast pump, pouches, bottles, steriliser, teats etc called the Ultimate Breast and Bottle Set. She got it on sale and I figure it's ideal as it covers both scenarios! She got it in Mothercare so there's a good chance they'll have another sale before baby comes you could keep an eye out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Orange369 wrote:
    I am 16 weeks today back in the hospital next Tuesday to see the consultant again and that will be my forth scan in 17 weeks.. Another question girls, if you are planning on breastfeeding are you buying bottles steriliser etc or not??

I'm public in the Coombe and seeing consultant on 16th of May will I get a scan that day?

I'm hoping to breastfeed but also open to combined or bottle if breast doesn't work out. My friend bought me a Tommee Tippee set with breast pump, pouches, bottles, steriliser, teats etc called the Ultimate Breast and Bottle Set. She got it on sale and I figure it's ideal as it covers both scenarios! She got it in Mothercare so there's a good chance they'll have another sale before baby comes you could keep an eye out

Oh great thanks a mill! Yes you should get a scan too! I did at my 1st consultant visit.. its very confusing on your 1st one if you dont know where you have to go.. first get your pink chart at reception then go do a urine sample, go to the back left and you will have a ticket number, the midwife will call you and they test your urine and do your blood pressure.. they take your file and tell you which room to sit outside and listen for your name.. then the consultant will call you, quick feel of stomach and then a scan! the scan only last 2 mins but great reassurance we got to see the spine and little ribs last week, crazy the baby develops so quick.. hopefully we get a scan at each consultant visit

Orange369 wrote: »
    Jutton wrote: »

We used babyscan.ie for our early scan at 9 weeks think it was 99 euro, would highly recommend! so nice and friendly.. God that's a long gap until next scan, I am 16 weeks today back in the hospital next Tuesday to see the consultant again and that will be my forth scan in 17 weeks.. I have my big scan in the Coombe 7th June and I will be 21 weeks then, is anyone dying to know the sex of their baby yet!? Still havent bought anything going to wait until after June.. Another question girls, if you are planning on breastfeeding are you buying bottles steriliser etc or not??

I had this dilemma on my first as I wanted to breastfeed but was worried it wouldn’t work out. So I bought the MAM bottles - they self-sterilise in the microwave so no need for s steriliser. I didn’t buy any formula because I figured it’s available in almost every corner shop and they have it in the hospitals anyway, so worst case scenario we would be able to get it in a few minutes if need be.

If you’re 100% bottle-feeding then a few MAM bottles likely wouldn’t be enough and then it would be worth investing in a proper set of bottles and steriliser. But BFing went well for us. I expressed milk and gave him a bottle every day or two, so the four MAM bottles and microwave sterilising was more than enough for us.

Also just to add, newborn babies only need a few tiny drops of colostrum in the first few days, plus they are generally very sleepy and don’t feed a lot - so feeding them generally isn’t too onerous at the very beginning. They need so little that it’s not like they will starve if you don’t have formula on hand right away (although if you feel more reassured having some in the cupboard anyway, that’s okay too!).

It is very rare for a woman not to make enough colostrum or to be totally unable to feed, and worst case scenario you can always hand-express a few drops and feed it to baby with a syringe or spoon. They do this a lot with premature babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Orange369 wrote: »
    Oh great thanks a mill! Yes you should get a scan too! I did at my 1st consultant visit.. its very confusing on your 1st one if you dont know where you have to go.. first get your pink chart at reception then go do a urine sample, go to the back left and you will have a ticket number, the midwife will call you and they test your urine and do your blood pressure.. they take your file and tell you which room to sit outside and listen for your name.. then the consultant will call you, quick feel of stomach and then a scan! the scan only last 2 mins but great reassurance we got to see the spine and little ribs last week, crazy the baby develops so quick.. hopefully we get a scan at each consultant visit

Yes, I found the setup in the Coombe very confusing if you haven't been through it before. You go in to the place on the right to the 'Check in/out' desks where you went for your booking appt. They give you your file, a ticket, and a urine container. Wee in the container then down through the double doors to where the telly is and queue up till they call your number. A quick check of your urine and blood pressure and they'll tell you which door to wait near till your name is called.

I got a scan too, which was fantastic, and after asking nicely I got a couple of fuzzy pictures for Himself cos he wasn't with me. A quick feel of your belly (or a slightly longer one if you get a med student like I did), and away you go back to the check-out desk to get the dates for your next appointment on your pink card.

I'm back for my 20week scan in June and my glucose test in July.

Thanks for all the details on finding my way around, I had my booking appointment at a midwife clinic in Tallaght but was in the Coombe at the emergency room and it did look so confusing seeing everyone queuing all over the place and so many people looking confused.

My appointment is for 8.30, do they just give the same time to loads of people? Or will I actually be seen near enough the time? Should I show up a good bit earlier to get checked in etc?

Well I failed the hearing test in hidden hearing. GP has me referred for an audiogram and to see an ENT so we’ll see how that goes.

Throwing up is easing off though I’m still nauseous a lot. And omg the round ligament pain when I sneeze..... Ouch!! Still needing lactulose regularly too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I’ve been off form for the last few days after catching that cough that’s going round. Plenty of sleep seems to help.

Had a dream last night that the baby had been born. We’ve been referring to it as a He, but apparently my subconscious thinks it’ll be a girl. Though that could just be because the only names we’ve been able to agree on are girl’s names.

I am so done with being sick now. Have had sinusitis, and the most incredible headache, for 10 days now. It is agony. Been to the GP twice and yesterday got given amoxicillin and codeine. Paracetamol wasn’t even making a dent in it. I called in sick to work earlier this week but am due in again tomorrow and Sunday and I reeeeeaaalllllllyyyyyy don’t wanna call in sick again but it’s going to be excruciating, as any movement of my head makes the pain even worse. And the pain is stopping me sleeping and is even waking me from my sleep.

Have also been a totally useless mammy. Thankfully my Aunty is a childminder and she’s taken my toddler the last three mornings, thank God. My husband is taking him to the UK tomorrow until Monday, so at least I won’t have to feel so guilty for a few days (although I’ll probably cry every day over how much I miss him).

Being sick is hard at any time, but so much harder when pregnant! Although if I wasn’t pregnant, my immune system would probably have beaten this by now too.

Any ideas on what the cause of this might be..

I get these waves of feeling really 'weird' and they mostly happen at work.

It's like I get really dizzy/light headed/queasy and my vision is distorted and I need to sit down. I feel really heavy weight in my legs and it can take a good ten minutes to pass. It's as if I could instantly fall asleep.

I'd say it's happened 5 or 6 times. Today I drank a bottle of water and ate loads of chocolate and jellies and then started to improve.

Anyone care to speculate? Blood pressure? Blood sugar? dehydration? Just generally pregnancy symptoms? Seeing consultant on the 16th so figure I'll wait til then to ask but if anyone has an idea on how I can avoid it recurring that'd be great

• Advertisement

I get something similar this pregnancy and on the last one. I have low blood pressure which is usually the cause, and also low iron.

However if it’s new, it wouldn’t hurt popping to your Gp to get a check.

If it’s new I’d get it checked. My sister developed a heart condition in pregnancy so I’d always err on the side of caution

I've been getting it every week or two once becoming pregnant I suppose. I really don't think I need to go to the GP do I? I hate going over any little thing and I bet I'll be charged again. I haven't chased up the other week with them, I'm going to say it in person nect time I'm in.

Ps when she checked BP last week she said it was slightly low and nothing to worry about. Can it go up and down? Also would have had iron checked at booking appt so presumed that was ok as I heard nothing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Hi Ladies,

Just been catching up on all the posts. First time poster here, baby no 2 due 14th October cant wait😀 had a bad start with sickness and an underactive thyroid but over the worst now. Glad to see everyone is doin well.

Seen a post where someone was on about the price of pregnacare and just thought I'd share with ye that I buy mine in boxes of 3 thru amazon

Pregnacare Vitabiotics Plus, 60 Tablets, Pack of Three https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017EUJWSO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RdH7AbR5N9XKB

I get them delivered to parcel motel so works out under €30 for the 3 delivered compared to the €60 you'd pay in a shop.

Hope its of some help to ye ladies.

Welcome audi02! We share the same due date :D

• Advertisement

We must all be getting close to our big scans now! How’s everyone feeling?

Mine is on the 29th and I’m definitely more nervous about it than I was on my first baby. Still undecided whether to find out what we are having.

Mines June 6th. I’m terrified tbh. Way more get up about it this time around and it really helped by the discussions of FFA (don’t get me wrong, I’m voting yes and I don’t think the stories should be buried, just that there’s a lot of them right now)

Mine's June 5th, raging as the appointments my consultant had the previous week were taken, I will be almost 22 weeks then.

I have had Panorama so certain things have been ruled out and a 17 week scan which was good but still, yes, nervous and can't even imagine coming up to it.

Definitely not finding out what we are having! Still convinced it's a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Mine's on 6th June.

I'm looking forward to telling my daughter if it's a brother or sister she will have to share her toys with.

17 weeks today. Nearly half way there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Possibly low blood pressure yep, maybe a bit of low iron.Had it on my second, slightly low.At it's worst in second trimester.
    Someone told me at about 39 weeks that salt and sugar tend to make you feel better when you have it, which explained to me why I was having such ridiculously huge chocolate cravings everyday during that pregnancy!!!Mostly I held out against them, but were really strong!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement