Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

If you’re planning to breastfeed, the Next2Me is amazing. I got one second hand for my son (it was like new) and found it great.

May not be worth the same investment (they’re pricey) if you’re using formula as you’ve to get out of the bed anyway. But if you BF you can just roll over, latch baby on, and fall back to sleep yourself (once baby is past the newborn stage where you’ve to supervise the latch etc).

We bought the next to me when my first was two weeks old after two weeks of very little sleep. It’s the best bloody thing ever and I highly recommend it. My sister has used it for her two and we’ll have it back in October all going well for this one. It was a spur of the moment, 10 minutes before boots closed purchase (husband sent out for it!) and was the best money we spent on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Oh sounds great! I definitely want to get one :) any other must buy items? Really not sure what buggy to go for, is it worth spending a fortune on a travel system!? Not really sure where to start with buying the essentials!

My travel system wasn’t my finest purchase but the car seat was the maxi cosi which I was happy with. I ended up buying the joie Mirrus at about six months old after a particularly brutal walk with the maxi cosi loola and loved that though the child minder essentially robbed it as she loved it too! This time I’m skipping the system and going with the adaptors for my out n about nipper which I got as a running buggy when my lad was about 2 and absolutely adore. I may splash out for the pram section too but I baby wear so if not the car seat on the out n about will do for short stuff and i’ll have my carrier with me for longer

What else did I love? Em... sleepsacks, our lad hated being swaddled. The tomee tippee perfect prep was an indulgence (bottle feeding only) which we loved. Aldi’s Muslins are still in use at 3.5 years old. Sleepsuits that are NOT over the head and either button all the way down the front or the side.

There’s more but it’ll come back to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Honestly, people tell you that you need so much but you need very little. We live in a tiny house so bought the bare minimum.

So many muslins you can’t believe. Even if you think you’ve got a ridiculous amount, you’ll still need more! We bought a few swaddleme blankets which were really good too.

A bouncy chair of some sort to put baby in, and something to put them on the floor when really tiny. We have the fisher price kick and play piano mat which was great entertainment when he was a few months old.

Something for baby to nap in downstairs - we just used the pram rather than a Moses basket.

We bathed him in the sink and just used normal soft towels rather than the baby towels. Didn’t miss having a baby bath at all.

Waterproof bedsheets!!!!!! You have no idea how many times baby will poo and spew on your bed. Our mattress is ruined.

We had a couple of changing mats you can just throw behind the sofa or down the side of the bed for easy changing around the house.

A thermometer is essential too. I’d also highly recommend a sling.

Thanks so much for all the tips girls!! Is this anyone elses first baby!? I feel like I will have a lot to learn lol! As for buying clothes are you better off to buy 0-3 months? I hear some people saying the baby is too big when its born for new born stuff! Probably better off waiting a while to see what size the baby is later in pregnancy

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the tips girls!! Is this anyone elses first baby!? I feel like I will have a lot to learn lol! As for buying clothes are you better off to buy 0-3 months? I hear some people saying the baby is too big when its born for new born stuff! Probably better off waiting a while to see what size the baby is later in pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Orange369 wrote: »
    Oh sounds great! I definitely want to get one :) any other must buy items? Really not sure what buggy to go for, is it worth spending a fortune on a travel system!? Not really sure where to start with buying the essentials!

Travel system was such a waste imo,spent loads on a lovely fancy yoke and should have not gotten it at all. For me, the carry cot was used twice maybe so totally not needed (lots and lots of people will disagree with me on that though and have gotten loads of use out of theirs) if i was starting over i woulf get something like the citi mini with a car seat or the out and about with a car seat.in saying that though if hou are having number two soon after this is a waste too asi now have a single travel system that cannot be adapted to a double and will have a 20 month old who will still need a buggy. So not sure what to get now, wish i had the bugaboo donkey from the start of even the uppababy vista. I dont know but be practical about your choices!!

Other must haves for me are perfect prep if/when you bottle feed. Gro bags, loads of muslins,loads of babygros (no over head ones no matter how cute they are) loads of vests, no actual clothes needed till they are At least three months.

We got a deadly fold up bath made by stokke which was brilliant, we still use it even though it says to stop after they are ten months old (dont know why they say that). We don't have a bath in our house so this was perfect but would also be brill if in an apartment or something.

I love love love my tripp trapp high chair but its not needed till 6 months, it was my big indulgent spend and is a proper piece of furniture. If i hadnt splurged though the ikea white one is by far the best, best by a mile and super cheap.

Will think lf more points later but honestly, like a midwife kn our antenatal class said, forget the gadgets, they need clothes and somewhere to sleep, everything else is a luxury that you could do without really.

Caitriona, when did we have the spd the last time, i think we had it this stage didnt we? I have escaped it so far too, hope it stays that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Orange369 wrote:

My first as well, trying not to think too much avout buying stuff until after the scan on the 6th. Also bear in mind that people will give you a lot of lovely presents, some handy and some not so, so you'll need space for them. Also people will try to offload stuff on you so be selective in what you agree to accept.

My friend is offering me a big pram I can't remember the brand; I was reluctant to take it because I thought a travel system with car seat would be better?

I drive an 03 micra do the travel systems all have/need an isofix base? I don't know if my car can take one..

P.s. maybe a silly question - muslin cloths are handy for spit ups right? Anything else? I know they spit up a lot lol so will be investing in plenty!

• Advertisement

Greenttc, my SPD started at 25/26 weeks but AFAIK your due date was a couple of weeks after mine, and you already were suffering with it when I first posted about it so you def got it earlier.

cash_Q, isofix is just a quicker, easier and safer way to secure the car seat. However you can use a seatbelt on most of them instead. It’s a bit more of a faff but not worth changing your car over!!

As for muslins, so many uses. Throwing over baby if you’re a bit shy breastfeeding, or throwing over the pram if you’re trying to get baby to sleep in public and you want to make it darker/calmer-shield from the sun. Allllllll the sick. Grabbing to mop up other things too like spilt milk. Nowadays we use one as a bib with every meal, as they cover him so much better than a wee small bib and keep his clothes way cleaner. And wiping his nose!

Cash I am fairly sure micra have isofix, I had a micra a few years ago and I remember the garage saying they have them. You will see easily though, you will feel little metal loops if you push your hand down between the seat and back cushion of the seat, alot of the time there is a little tag sewn in to say they are there too. Isofix is just so much easier to use but seat belt Is totally grand, just whatever you get used to I suppose.

God you are right with the people trying to offload stuff thing, I ended up with a bit of junk I didn't want for that reason! Most of it was taken away when I put it on adverts free page though so not too bad.

Caitriona, was it that late when it appeared? Maybe you are right and I had it before you, seem to remember having it for the big scan cause it is painful to swing your legs up on to their high bed and I vaguely remember it when having to do that. Could be wrong. God I really hope I don't get it!!

Actually, just went back if the February thread caitriona and in my post about my 20 week scan I describe the spd pain and wondered what it was, was clueless at that stage!

So if anyone has pain standing one one leg or having to get in and out of cars or get in/out of bed where you move your legs one at a time and the pain is kinda muscular feeling in your very low tummy or pelvis, it might be spd!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yeah so so sick of the unsolicited advice. Being pregnant seems to make people think they can say whatever they want to you and of course they know best. One girl in work argued with me that I should be using the liquid gaviscon because it's better than the tablets which I prefer. Despite me saying I'd choke on that stuff I'm told I should really be using it because herself and her sister found it great. Pi$$ off!! Lol!

I also trust the hygiene procedures of ice cream factories and reputable restaurants so I won't be avoiding ice cream unless my midwife or consultant tells me to! Same goes for all the other crap people try to tell me to do or not do!

You'd really have to work hard to find unpasteurised ice cream in the EU - It seems like a minor thing but we have to avoid so much (hello, wine) people should at least be mindful of the latest advice and not just tell us to cut out everything to be sure to be sure.

My husband's brother was here earlier and I was talking about the holiday and said, oh it will be tough not being able to have a glass of wine with dinner... and he says "ah sure, you'll be grand without it, it's only for a few months."

Oh right...because you would know. Mansplaining!!!!

I wasn't told to be wary because of it being unpasteurized but more so because the machine e.g. for a 99 could be dirty....luckily in Ireland our food safety and hygiene practices are under a lot of scrutiny and closures are well publicised so I think we'll be Ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

I wasn't told to be wary because of it being unpasteurized but more so because the machine e.g. for a 99 could be dirty....luckily in Ireland our food safety and hygiene practices are under a lot of scrutiny and closures are well publicised so I think we'll be Ok!!

Yes it's different with soft-serve the risk of listeria is there but I KNEW THAT NURSE aghhhh. I also think if people were falling down poisoned from a. runny eggs, b. medium steaks c. 99s we all would have heard. It's obviously better to be safe than sorry but IMO a lot of it is based on data from years and years ago and no one is bothered updating it.

I full intend on enjoying my holiday, eating some ice cream (from a tub!) and some nice pasteurised feta

I’m driven demented with post nasal drip. I’m saline rinsing 4-5 times a day and it’s not even touching it. Waking up with a sore throat every morning and I’m still coughing. So pissed off. And there’s almost nothing that’s safe for pregnancy for the nose. I just want it to stop running

I’m driven demented with post nasal drip. I’m saline rinsing 4-5 times a day and it’s not even touching it. Waking up with a sore throat every morning and I’m still coughing. So pissed off. And there’s almost nothing that’s safe for pregnancy for the nose. I just want it to stop running

oh god, i have the same thing, its horrific. I had read about people having it and thought that its not such a bad thing but obviously karma has happened and i have been inflicted with it this pregnancy.

Mine isnt making me cough or have a sore throat though, it gathers at the back of my throat/ nasal passage in an inaccessible area that no amount of saline rinse, gargling, spiting etc, nothing can clear it. Every morning i retch trying to get rid of it, it makes me feel pukey, like someone is constantly tickling my gag reflex.

Mirrorwall if you find any solution over the next while, please do tell me.

It’s horrific. They’re going to have to try and do something for me or I’ll end up in and out of hospital all summer because I can’t get the asthma to settle with it. Super frustrating

Nasal drip sounds horrible :( I haven't had this but not feeling too good today at all. I got into work for 8am but felt very light headed and sick so had to leave work soon after 9. Has anyone had this? Unsure if I should go to the doc today now or not

• Advertisement

Nasal drip sounds horrible :( I haven't had this but not feeling too good today at all. I got into work for 8am but felt very light headed and sick so had to leave work soon after 9. Has anyone had this? Unsure if I should go to the doc today now or not

Ha, I sound like I am just identifying with everyone's complaints, I feel like crap today too, very weak but not a huge amount of nausea and today is an important day in work so have stayed in so far.

My instinct is not to go to the doc, i know baby is fine and i also know that the doctor is going to be able to do nothing for me really. But that is my situation and how I am feeling, you may feel different and the one constant message is that when pregnant no visit to the hospital or gp is stupid, your peace of mind is important so if you are worried definitely make an appointment.

greenttc wrote: »

Ha, I sound like I am just identifying with everyone's complaints, I feel like crap today too, very weak but not a huge amount of nausea and today is an important day in work so have stayed in so far.

My instinct is not to go to the doc, i know baby is fine and i also know that the doctor is going to be able to do nothing for me really. But that is my situation and how I am feeling, you may feel different and the one constant message is that when pregnant no visit to the hospital or gp is stupid, your peace of mind is important so if you are worried definitely make an appointment.

Thank you! I just booked in to see the nurse just in case, I have had high BP during pregnancy and before so no harm getting it checked out I suppose. Hopefully you feel better soon, nothing worse than being in work and just not feeling right

I’ve been feeling dizzy, lightheaded and weak every day for weeks now. Almost fainted in the queue in Lidl last week, and I regularly have to stop and sit down when I’m walking with the buggy or going round a few shops. As for public transport, well, it’s a nightmare! Nobody gives you their seat even when you stand in front of them rubbing your bump!

I had this on my last pregnancy and it was just low blood pressure so I’m not worried. But if it’s new, and as you said you had high BP on your last, I would probably get it checked.

I’ve been feeling dizzy, lightheaded and weak every day for weeks now. Almost fainted in the queue in Lidl last week, and I regularly have to stop and sit down when I’m walking with the buggy or going round a few shops. As for public transport, well, it’s a nightmare! Nobody gives you their seat even when you stand in front of them rubbing your bump!

I had this on my last pregnancy and it was just low blood pressure so I’m not worried. But if it’s new, and as you said you had high BP on your last, I would probably get it checked.

Thanks just back from the doc, glad I went now, my blood pressure high again higher than last week and my urine is showing ketones she said which means dehydration 😥 just need to chil and drink plenty of water and hav to go back weekly for checks.. God I thought week 19 almost it would be plain sailing from now on but I seem to have more symptoms compared to first trimester!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm feeling dizzy and lightheaded today too, it must be to do with the air pressure and blood pressure.

Yeah I felt it was very warm and stuffy this morning too, the weather is only due to get hotter too so good luck to us!!

I've also had the dizziness/feeling weak/faint/overall just feeling funny, on multiple occasions. When it happens now I just tell myself it'll pass to stop myself feeling too overwhelmed. I did go home from work with it once and that time it developed into an ocular migraine.

My consultant in the Coombe said it is just low blood pressure and nothing can be done really. He did tell me to slow down and just mind myself in general. I said it happens when I've not been exerting myself at all and he just reiterated to slow down and remember there is a huge impact on the entire body now.

Mind yourself it's horrible when it hits.

How are the bumps getting on? I feel bloody huge! I still haven’t told my employer as I’m not long in the job. Hoping to last til early June but it’s kind of ridiculous. They must all know already.

How many weeks are you now!? I dont no like if I wore loose clothes I could still hide it! Not too big yet but really want a definite bump! I told my job at 11 weeks but was so nervous as I recently took a promotion while pregnant at 7 weeks pregnant and didn't tell them until 11 weeks but they were totally understanding and supportive. You should tell them soon just incase you become unwell at work at least they will know what is wrong with you

• Advertisement

I’m 19 weeks tomorrow. As it’s my second, I’m a bit bigger than last time. I’m wearing loose tops and blazers. They’ll either think I’m oregnant or having really piled on the pounds...

I'm 19 weeks and I'm massive. Feels like it's spreading round to my side's too and not quite a neat little bump at all more a gigantic belly. Does look like a pregnant belly though for sure just more like 7 months than 5 months!

I'm under a huge amount of stress right now, got some bad news in work that I'm having to ride out for a while and not allowed to discuss with my colleagues which is really frustrating. Been crying since I came home from work and can't get any straight answer from my union which has me even more stressed. In bed since 8.30 but don't think I'll be sleeping. Coming on here isn't going to get me to sleep but I'm just tossing and turning. I know that stress is not good for baby but I can't control the situation or get any reassurances so I'm driven mad.

I'm 19 weeks and I'm massive. Feels like it's spreading round to my side's too and not quite a neat little bump at all more a gigantic belly. Does look like a pregnant belly though for sure just more like 7 months than 5 months!

I'm under a huge amount of stress right now, got some bad news in work that I'm having to ride out for a while and not allowed to discuss with my colleagues which is really frustrating. Been crying since I came home from work and can't get any straight answer from my union which has me even more stressed. In bed since 8.30 but don't think I'll be sleeping. Coming on here isn't going to get me to sleep but I'm just tossing and turning. I know that stress is not good for baby but I can't control the situation or get any reassurances so I'm driven mad.

God thats awful, sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time.. Sometimes we just have to think is this more important than my baby? If the answer is no (which it always will be) then I try not to worry as much! Easier said than done though.. I have an exam this weekend as part of my QFA and the last thing I want to do is study! Life is difficult enough and pregnancy makes it harder

Orange369 wrote:
    God thats awful, sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time.. Sometimes we just have to think is this more important than my baby? If the answer is no (which it always will be) then I try not to worry as much! Easier said than done though.. I have an exam this weekend as part of my QFA and the last thing I want to do is study! Life is difficult enough and pregnancy makes it harder

Definitely easier said than done. Of course nothing is more important than the baby but it's the uncertainty and fear that I can't control, totally fuelling the worry and stress. I just wish I knew where I stood then I could start to think beyond the worry.

Cash Q I’m sorry. School can be unimaginably stressful. Ours is just insane right now, we’re all barely functioning between NEPS, guards, minding the students etc. 11 days to the summer holidays and counting

I hope evening works out ok for you xxx

Cash Q I’m sorry. School can be unimaginably stressful. Ours is just insane right now, we’re all barely functioning between NEPS, guards, minding the students etc. 11 days to the summer holidays and counting

Thanks mirrowall14. We've 6 weeks left and I love it I really do. I could just do with knowing where I stand right now/for the future.

• Advertisement

Relieved to say my union are very much behind me and I'm feeling a lot more reassured. Basically there's a high chance I could lose my job owing to a cut in staff numbers which came from out of the blue, but I've been assured I'll be redeployed rather than made redundant. It's not ideal and a nightmare to be honest but at least I'll be looked after. Hoping for a nice long sleep now.

Relieved to say my union are very much behind me and I'm feeling a lot more reassured. Basically there's a high chance I could lose my job owing to a cut in staff numbers which came from out of the blue, but I've been assured I'll be redeployed rather than made redundant. It's not ideal and a nightmare to be honest but at least I'll be looked after. Hoping for a nice long sleep now.

How are they cutting numbers in your school and they are saying there is a teacher shortage? A very insecure time for you I am sure cash and not something you want to be facing when going on mat leave. If it is any solace though you are somewhat protected by being pregnant there are lots of laws around that. Glad to hear you will be looked after anyway, a bit of a relief for you!

How are they cutting numbers in your school and they are saying there is a teacher shortage? A very insecure time for you I am sure cash and not something you want to be facing when going on mat leave. If it is any solace though you are somewhat protected by being pregnant there are lots of laws around that. Glad to hear you will be looked after anyway, a bit of a relief for you!

Depends on the area unfortunately for primary school, and the subject for secondary school. Massive shortages in Irish, home ec, maths etc in our area

We're a special school and the enrolment numbers are the same. Principal is as surprised as I was when I read the figures online. Seemingly the staffing schedule issued in February doesn't cover us so the SNA and teacher allocations for Special Schools announced on Friday is how we learned of it.

As I'm Montessori trained I'm limited in where I can be redeployed so I was really concerned I was facing redundancy. Coinciding with a mortgage we've just started paying and maternity leave I was out of my mind with worry. I still feel anxious about it and would hate to leave this school but at least I know my income is secure.

So that is my "twenty week" scan done, all good and totally normal, the relief is unbelievable. The irony if having that scan and the referendum vote on the same day, the impact that the campaigning had on my anxiousness around the scan is overwhelming. I am so glad the scan is done and went well and I am also very happy that I don't have to hear campaign stories from now on too.

Didn't find out the gender as planned, the temptation was huge but we said no when asked if we wanted to know. So exciting seeing the baby and all its different parts, he/she was asleep so no moving around but it was soooo amazing, don't think scans ever get less amazing. It really is the same feeling as I had the last time, it's mad that there are three people in a room watching this small person on a screen and that small tiny baby has no idea that people are watching it at that moment in time. Such a surreal feeling.

• Advertisement

So that is my "twenty week" scan done, all good and totally normal, the relief is unbelievable. The irony if having that scan and the referendum vote on the same day, the impact that the campaigning had on my anxiousness around the scan is overwhelming. I am so glad the scan is done and went well and I am also very happy that I don't have to hear campaign stories from now on too.

Didn't find out the gender as planned, the temptation was huge but we said no when asked if we wanted to know. So exciting seeing the baby and all its different parts, he/she was asleep so no moving around but it was soooo amazing, don't think scans ever get less amazing. It really is the same feeling as I had the last time, it's mad that there are three people in a room watching this small person on a screen and that small tiny baby has no idea that people are watching it at that moment in time. Such a surreal feeling.

Aww that's great news!! Huge congrats to you, must be amazing to know all is well and you can relax a bit more! Mine isnt until the 7th of June I cant wait.. Congrats again :):)

Wow greenttc that's amazing, incredible milestone in your pregnancy. In some ways lovely that is was today, there's enough tension in the air so it's good to get good news.

Great news about your scan Green! What a day for it... my scan is on tuesday and I’m pretty nervous.

We have put our house on the market and started looking for a new one but struggling to find much that we like in the areas we want to live in. We’ve not even started placing offers, or getting offers on our own house, yet, and I’m already stressed! It seems that me and my husband often want different things.

First viewings are tomorrow so I’m frantically cleaning every last inch of the place and loading the car up with all our junk and all the baby stuff/toys... all with a very frustrated and bored toddler to contend with!

Congrats on the scan greenttc! Mine is pulled forward to next Thursday. I’m ****ting a brick to be honest.

School is incredibly tough right now. Counting down the days until the 1st and I’ve never been so glad that it’s the weekend in my career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My scan's not for another 2 weeks, which will make it basically 22 weeks. and I'm getting really impatient now! I want to check everything's ok!

I'm still not feeling any movement, but trying not to worry about that. How are the other first timers getting on?

kylith wrote: »
    My scan's not for another 2 weeks, which will make it basically 22 weeks. and I'm getting really impatient now! I want to check everything's ok!

I'm still not feeling any movement, but trying not to worry about that. How are the other first timers getting on?

Ah dont be worrying about that - I didn’t feel any movement until 21+3 on my first - and that’s totally normal.

It’s magical when it first starts!

Yeah if it's your first kylith don't worry about not feeling anything yet, it's only now that I know on my second that I could recognise everything much earlier. I didn't feel anything for ages on my first too. But sometimes things that you think are your tummy gurgling or just bubble in your tummy is actually the baby, kinda like popcorn popping or a bubble bursting sensation. Try pay attention to feelings like that and you might notice something, it's not easy though!

Yeah if it's your first kylith don't worry about not feeling anything yet, it's only now that I know on my second that I could recognise everything much earlier. I didn't feel anything for ages on my first too. But sometimes things that you think are your tummy gurgling or just bubble in your tummy is actually the baby, kinda like popcorn popping or a bubble bursting sensation. Try pay attention to feelings like that and you might notice something, it's not easy though!

I have been feeling little movements the last few days, I am 1st time too! I notice it more after I have eaten or sitting still, dont feel anything when I am moving around. I am looking very pale the last while not looking the best, no pregnancy glow for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Just wondering how organised / unorganised other 1st time moms are. I have done nothing yet apart from starting house clear out. Didn't look for pram, cot etc yet.
    I'm afraid to jinx things by having everything got too soon. Also the sooner I start shopping the bigger chance I have of going over board and getting loads of crap I don't need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement