Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Orange369 wrote: »
    Omg all the fast labour stories are making me nervous! First baby here, I am lucky I only live 10-15 mins from the Coombe and only the dog to worry about lol so should be ok to make it in a hurry if I need to! I am back in with the consultant next week and will be 24 weeks then, I feel 24 weeks is a milestone! When is everyone starting their maternity benefit form with work and social welfare process? What week should I start all that?

Don't stress, I'm the only person I know in real life who went that fast!

I have to go 2 weeks before the end of the week I'm due so for me that means maternity leave will start 9 days before my due date to maximise it. Hoping to make it that far but will depend on all the other stuff staying ok for me not to need sick leave! You can't apply for maternity until you are 26 weeks and its the MB1 form you need to complete

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They are right purplelemons, shout loud.I discovered that the hard way on my first....she had a night in NICU, five days of antibiotics, where getting info was like pulling blood from a stone, then i had a postpartum haemorrage, four more nights in hospital (again getting info.was a struggle), amd a D&C.I learned that time to keep shouting and telling them.Mind you, I felt this time they had improved a lot.

I even felt on my last birth there....the midwife checked me around four hours in and I was 6cm, and in the next 45 mins I went to 10cm and gave birth....I got the impression she was kind of looking at me struggling to cope a bit and thinking I was making a fuss out of nothing, but I could hear she got a surprise when my waters broke all of a sudden and baby crowned moments later (all 10lbs + of him, to add to her surprise). I was in no fit state to tell her where to go or even what I was feeling (was only using gas and air), but I knew that baby was coming and I wasn't over reacting!!

They are the professionals....but you know what you are feeling and you know your body.Especially if you have done it before.

Mirrorwall, i don't think that stuff would matter to a Doula?No harm asking, be one more support in case you don't get there on time....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

On the note of maternity, do you have to use any holidays you’ve accrued before you go, or is it possible to tag them on to the end of your mat leave instead (seeing as our maternity leave will span 2018 and 2019)? I have a few weeks holiday but feel they’d be much more useful to me at the end of mat leave than before baby arrives.

That said, with SPD there’s a reasonable chance I may end up needing to be signed off sick some weeks before I finish anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

On the note of maternity, do you have to use any holidays you’ve accrued before you go, or is it possible to tag them on to the end of your mat leave instead (seeing as our maternity leave will span 2018 and 2019)? I have a few weeks holiday but feel they’d be much more useful to me at the end of mat leave than before baby arrives.

That said, with SPD there’s a reasonable chance I may end up needing to be signed off sick some weeks before I finish anyway.
    In terms of the annual leave,it probably depends on what your workplace allows you carry over year to year. So we are allowed carry over a week every year if we don't use them up. I'll be doing that, I am sure all employers are different so you will have to talk to them.

I'll start my mat leave the two weeks before due date. And it will be a few days less than the two weeks I think cause of that Monday before rule, whatever it is. I would advise anyone to absolutely take the minimum amount before that you can as you will want them when the baby arrives, the time goes so fast! And then if you really need to finish earlier cause your just not able for the work anymore look I to getting sick leave instead (controversial I know but most people do it) . My doctor has been trying to make me take weeks off for rest already which I have resisted (due to a stupid loyalty to work and it just being ingrained in me that you don't go sick for just anything) but I am sure that I will be going earlier than the two weeks, I did last time, while I didn't feel in any rush to get the baby out I was really exhausted and worn out so had to take it easy.

I thought it may be at the discretion of the employer alright. Will have to check that out. Thanks.

Hats off to you working fulltime with a one year old while pregnant, green. If you need a few days off for rest as per your GP, you should definitely take it though. I know what you mean about loyalty, and o also only ever call in sick when I’m nearly dying, and even at that I still feel guilty. But sometimes a few days here and there can mean you come back able to do a much better job and work for further into the pregnancy, so it could end up better for your employer too.

Took the plunge and bought a second-hand mountain buggy duet yesterday. It seems good. Wee man comfy in it and it’s a nice smooth ride. Also super easy to fold and unfold, although quite bulky still when folded so you’d definitely want to test it in your boot first.

I was also just in mothercare there to buy the wee man some shoes, when I saw they’d loads of adorable baby clothes half price.. couldn’t resist! Think we’ve the going home outfit sorted now. So tiny and cute!

We are selling our house and sorting a new mortgage, and starting looking at new places now so it’s all go.

I thought it may be at the discretion of the employer alright. Will have to check that out. Thanks.

Hats off to you working fulltime with a one year old while pregnant, green. If you need a few days off for rest as per your GP, you should definitely take it though. I know what you mean about loyalty, and o also only ever call in sick when I’m nearly dying, and even at that I still feel guilty. But sometimes a few days here and there can mean you come back able to do a much better job and work for further into the pregnancy, so it could end up better for your employer too.

Took the plunge and bought a second-hand mountain buggy duet yesterday. It seems good. Wee man comfy in it and it’s a nice smooth ride. Also super easy to fold and unfold, although quite bulky still when folded so you’d definitely want to test it in your boot first.

I was also just in mothercare there to buy the wee man some shoes, when I saw they’d loads of adorable baby clothes half price.. couldn’t resist! Think we’ve the going home outfit sorted now. So tiny and cute!

We are selling our house and sorting a new mortgage, and starting looking at new places now so it’s all go.

Ha! You have sympathy for me working full time and having a one year old and there you are going through one of life's major stresses, buying and selling a house!! You can't get a sick note from that!

Yeah I would definitely take the day off if I needed it but don't think I am that bad yet and would feel more justified taking it later on and closer to due date anyway.

Think I will have to try get to euro baby to try that mountain buggy duet in my boot. According to the dimensions it's only a couple of cm bigger all round than my current buggy. Have you been trying it out as a single with the little bag thing to the side of the seat? Liked how it could be used as a single as well as a double!

Any of you first time mums with the intention of having another baby, definitely definitely definitely consider getting a buggy that can eventually accommodate two babies, it will take away the pain of what I am trying to do now and get another buggy (getting a buggy I should have bought in the first place)!

Nope the one I bought didn’t have the Joey tote bag so I’ve just had the two seats in it. I was thinking of getting a carrycot for newborn, but it lies flat anyway and with the seat liner it seems cosy enough so don’t think I’ll bother. The main advantage of the carry cot is that baby can face you, but it is a small carry cot and I can see baby growing out of it by 3-4 months so I don’t think it’s worth it for me.

There will hopefully be another baby after this one so we will use it as a double for a few years to come, then go back to our silver cross pioneer when only the last child still needs a buggy. I love my silver cross and will definitely go back to it over using the mountain buggy with a tote bag at the side - silver cross is narrower and has a huge basket in the bottom so I won’t need the extra shopping space!

Nope the one I bought didn’t have the Joey tote bag so I’ve just had the two seats in it. I was thinking of getting a carrycot for newborn, but it lies flat anyway and with the seat liner it seems cosy enough so don’t think I’ll bother. The main advantage of the carry cot is that baby can face you, but it is a small carry cot and I can see baby growing out of it by 3-4 months so I don’t think it’s worth it for me.

There will hopefully be another baby after this one so we will use it as a double for a few years to come, then go back to our silver cross pioneer when only the last child still needs a buggy. I love my silver cross and will definitely go back to it over using the mountain buggy with a tote bag at the side - silver cross is narrower and has a huge basket in the bottom so I won’t need the extra shopping space!

I have a silvercross too! How does it compare in size when folded up! I think I will probably sell my silvercross because by the time I am done with a double buggy I would probably prefer some kind of stroller, while the silvercross is so so nice and luxurious it is a heavy ol yoke to
    Be lifting in and out of a boot

greenttc wrote: »
    I have a silvercross too! How does it compare in size when folded up! I think I will probably sell my silvercross because by the time I am done with a double buggy I would probably prefer some kind of stroller, while the silvercross is so so nice and luxurious it is a heavy ol yoke to
    Be lifting in and out of a boot

It’s wider, obviously, but it all folds down in one bit, whereas with the silver cross you’ve your chassis and your seat. We generally put the silver cross chassis in the boot first and then rest the stroller seat on top of it. So although the mountain buggy is wider, it’s also shallower when it’s stacked in your boot if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement

It’s wider, obviously, but it all folds down in one bit, whereas with the silver cross you’ve your chassis and your seat. We generally put the silver cross chassis in the boot first and then rest the stroller seat on top of it. So although the mountain buggy is wider, it’s also shallower when it’s stacked in your boot if you know what I mean?

Yep I know exactly what you mean cause I do the same. Is it that much wider though, website says its oy 5cm wider than the silver Cross, I could cope with that!

greenttc wrote: »
    Yep I know exactly what you mean cause I do the same. Is it that much wider though, website says its oy 5cm wider than the silver Cross, I could cope with that!

Do you have the silver cross pioneer? It feels wider when you’re pushing it as the handlebar is wider and squarer, but when you push it through a single doorway you realise it’s not a huge amount wider! One of the differences is that with the pioneer, the wheels are the widest point. But with the mountain buggy, the wheels aren’t at the outer edge so it’s the buggy itself that’s the widest. So silver cross looks a good bit narrower with the eye, and the handlebar feels a good bit narrower. But then when you try to push the silver cross through tight spaces and the wheels get caught, you realise it’s a bit wider than you thought!

Do you have the silver cross pioneer? It feels wider when you’re pushing it as the handlebar is wider and squarer, but when you push it through a single doorway you realise it’s not a huge amount wider! One of the differences is that with the pioneer, the wheels are the widest point. But with the mountain buggy, the wheels aren’t at the outer edge so it’s the buggy itself that’s the widest. So silver cross looks a good bit narrower with the eye, and the handlebar feels a good bit narrower. But then when you try to push the silver cross through tight spaces and the wheels get caught, you realise it’s a bit wider than you thought!

Its one of the soecial edition silvercross ones which are modled on the pioneer (not the wayfarer) just has fancy extras! Its what drew me in when buying it and caused me to ignore the need for a potential double buggy! Stupid!!! Yep it has big wheels alright. Really must go try out this mountain buggy soon before all the deals are gone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's mat leave, then unpaid leave then annual leave.Your company should be ok with you using them next year I presume?

Cannot walk more than 2-3 minutes without getting the mother of all stitches in my side. Its horrific :(

On the plus side, 24 weeks today-viability! I celebrated by sorting out two massive bags of clothes I got back from my sister with additions to what I had given her. Very little newborn. Need some additional newborn and 0-3 but tons of every other age which is great. Next step is to tackle the attic for the stuff that I couldn't bear to give away after my first. That should give me more of the early stuff.

Also started browsing adverts for second hand stuff. I want a proper wooden changing station with drawers this time. The ikea one was grand but the boxes were a bit of a pain in the ass tbh and if I can get one relatively cheaply I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Cannot walk more than 2-3 minutes without getting the mother of all stitches in my side. Its horrific

I was like this but not stitches moreso round ligament issues, is it possible you could have this too? I was given a belt from the physio dept in the coombe and it's worked wonders

Also 24 weeks today and feeling so content and well all weekend. So glad to be at this stage.

We were going to buy the ikea changing table, why did you find the boxes such a pain? Ours will be for downstairs as we have a good bookcase of similar height upstairs that we'll just put a mat on and use the shelves for clothes/supplies. For 60 feels like we can't go wrong!

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I was like this but not stitches moreso round ligament issues, is it possible you could have this too? I was given a belt from the physio dept in the coombe and it's worked wonders

Also 24 weeks today and feeling so content and well all weekend. So glad to be at this stage.

We were going to buy the ikea changing table, why did you find the boxes such a pain? Ours will be for downstairs as we have a good bookcase of similar height upstairs that we'll just put a mat on and use the shelves for clothes/supplies. For 60 feels like we can't go wrong!

To be fair my husband was happy to stick with IKEA even though he's partially the reason I want to switch. He could never find anything in it and I spent my whole time finding things for him. The boxes are very big and deep when the clothes are tiny and there's a decent gap at the back of the shelf too if you use the big boxes for crap to fall into, and the boxes are really shallow if you use the long ones. When the baby got moving he'd haul the boxes off it too! But its a very personal preference to be honest, we used it solidly for 2 years so it really did serve us well!

I'm in the Coombe on Wednesday for my 24 week appointment and I'll talk to them then about it. I'm pretty sure its just ligaments, its the same side I've been having back and hip pain on for the last month

I'm in the Coombe on Wednesday for my 24 week appointment and I'll talk to them then about it. I'm pretty sure its just ligaments, its the same side I've been having back and hip pain on for the last month

Definitely ask them to send you to the physio. I had my first physio class a few weeks ago and described the pains to the lady running it but said I wasn't currently in pain so figured there wouldn't be much can she do. She fitted the belt on and I instantly got relief, even though I hadn't been in pain at the time. I couldn't walk more than a few feet before without getting pain, but was at the zoo last week and didn't have any issues.

+1 on the stitch! Didn't have it with my first. Weird.

I am 24 weeks tomorrow. My nausea has returned in the evenings over the last week or so. It's generally very mild and tolerable, but last night it was overwhelming. I had soup for dinner but didn't even manage half a bowl of it.

Speaking of which, my diet is awful and I just have no motivation to eat anything other than carbs. But despite that, I've only out 9lbs on, which Google tells me is outside of the recommended range. I had put on close to 20lbs at this stage with baby #1!

Anyone getting a 4D scan? It was the absolute highlight of the pregnancy last time so I'm definitely gonna try to save a few pennies and get one done within the next 4-8 weeks!

+1 on the stitch! Didn't have it with my first. Weird.

I am 24 weeks tomorrow. My nausea has returned in the evenings over the last week or so. It's generally very mild and tolerable, but last night it was overwhelming. I had soup for dinner but didn't even manage half a bowl of it.

Speaking of which, my diet is awful and I just have no motivation to eat anything other than carbs. But despite that, I've only out 9lbs on, which Google tells me is outside of the recommended range. I had put on close to 20lbs at this stage with baby #1!

Anyone getting a 4D scan? It was the absolute highlight of the pregnancy last time so I'm definitely gonna try to save a few pennies and get one done within the next 4-8 weeks!

Are you me? :D I'm throwing up again in the mornings and nausea comes on very fast if I haven't eaten in a while. My diet is appalling because nothing appeals and with the nausea back I'm a disaster

We may not do 4D but we are going to bring our little lad to a gender confirmation scan. Picked up a little book for him on amazon here. He absolutely loves it and it has a page about ultrasounds so we think it might be fun to bring him along

Ah it's so lovely that he's old enough to understand! Liam hasn't a notion as he's only a baby himself. However I did buy a doll last week to get him used to being gentle eye and he was so sweet. Picking it up so carefully, giving it a bottle while making little sucking noises, nd kissing it- all without me prompting him to do so! My heart is going to just melt when they meet one another for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

24+2 here. So excited to have that viability milestone out of the way. It feels like now I can start making solid plans.

I got a present of a Kari Me wrap over the weekend, so I had a bit of a practise with that and it feels like it’ll come in really handy.

I’ve started making lists for my hospital bag now.

Coming from a huge family I’m getting most stuff as hand-me-downs, which is a massive saving, but I also feel like I’m missing out on the fun of getting to do all the baby shopping. I think all we’ll need to actually buy is the cot, car seat, and play pen. Maybe not even those.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

24+4 here and getting so so excited! God love you girls with the nausea again - that is so unfair. I can't stop myself with the treats - especially in this ice -cream weather! I have put on 17lb now..not sure how normal that is..I am still in the gym 4 times per week so I feel great, it could just be boobs, bump and fluid.

I went for a pre-birth physio assessment with a women's health physio the other day - turns out my pelvic floor is very overactive so I have to work on relaxing it before birth. She also recommended a wedge pillow for sitting, at desk and driving etc.

Re buying stuff, I have started on the hospital bag! Got a couple of nighties in Dunnes - not the maternity ones, just normal roomy ones with buttons.

And any thoughts here on the Cocoonababy vs Sleepyhead? My brother is buying me one so have to decide.

kylith wrote: »
    24+2 here. So excited to have that viability milestone out of the way. It feels like now I can start making solid plans.

I got a present of a Kari Me wrap over the weekend, so I had a bit of a practise with that and it feels like it’ll come in really handy.

I’ve started making lists for my hospital bag now.

Coming from a huge family I’m getting most stuff as hand-me-downs, which is a massive saving, but I also feel like I’m missing out on the fun of getting to do all the baby shopping. I think all we’ll need to actually buy is the cot, car seat, and play pen. Maybe not even those.

Play pen!! Do people still use those???? My MIL is always going on about them and how she used to leave the kids in them for hours at a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I'm 23+4 I feel like my nausea has come back a little in the last few days. Just short patches here and there though so no where near as bad as weeks 6-12.

We ordered our travel system at the weekend. We went with the Babyzen yoyo+. I don't drive so the ease of fold and lightness for public transport were big attractions for me in making the final decision.

I'm also considering getting a sleepyhead. It doesn't look like a must buy but it just looks really cosy. I feel like I'd like a giant one for myself. I figure it'd be handy for daytime sleeping downstairs (for the baby not me).

Clacla, are you sure you want one of those? My friend is a PHN and was warning against them - they are essentially pillows and no pillow is safe for baby as they increase the risk of SIDS.

Clacla, are you sure you want one of those? My friend is a PHN and was warning against them - they are essentially pillows and no pillow is safe for baby as they increase the risk of SIDS.

My brother swore by the Cocoonababy for naps and my nephew was a very very cross baby... I don't think I would use it at night but just during the day? When I looked into it, they were developed in French neonatal wards and supposed to help newborn feel snug etc...

clacla82 wrote: »
    My brother swore by the Cocoonababy for naps and my nephew was a very very cross baby... I don't think I would use it at night but just during the day? When I looked into it, they were developed in French neonatal wards and supposed to help newborn feel snug etc...

Oh there's no doubt they help with sleep. But any pillow increases the SIDS risk, whether that's daytime naps or night time sleeps (and lets be honest, with a newborn both sleeps are as long as the other!). A lot of people aren't aware of It, though.

Personally I'd rather not take the risk as I worry enough about them in the early days!

We had a travel cot as a play pen initially, then a proper playpen once he was bigger. Invaluable in the kitchen when cooking, and for throwing him into for quick jobs around the house. He had a ton of stuff in there so never bothered him.

I'll give a shout to the graco contour electra, really worked for us the last time and we got it on sale for a good price

Playpen we got a babydan one on adverts

My sis has the cocoonababy I think, she offered it to me. I'd be cautious though. Will see what this lad is like for naps

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Ah I am the same with the nausea today! I was blaming the heat.. I will be 24 weeks on Wednesday and I cannot wait for Wednesday to come, its another milestone for us.. I am back in with the consultant tomorrow in the Coombe, is the 24 week visit the same as the rest? I presume we will have appointments now every 2 weeks is it?

Ah I am the same with the nausea today! I was blaming the heat.. I will be 24 weeks on Wednesday and I cannot wait for Wednesday to come, its another milestone for us.. I am back in with the consultant tomorrow in the Coombe, is the 24 week visit the same as the rest? I presume we will have appointments now every 2 weeks is it?

I think that kicks in at 30 weeks. Fairly sure its 24 weeks, 28 weeks then every two weeks until 36 weeks

• Advertisement

I think that kicks in at 30 weeks. Fairly sure its 24 weeks, 28 weeks then every two weeks until 36 weeks

Oh great thanks a mill :) I suppose I will find out tomorrow now when the consultant wants to see me back etc, depends on BP which has been ok lately, seemed a lot higher in the 1st trimester..

Puked about 10 times last night!!

Then had blood tests this morning for my thyroid so showed up fasting; for the first time in 2 years 9f regular blood tests I was told I didn't need to fast for thyroid tests ffs! I was soooo hungry after being so sick the night before!!

Omg you poor thing. And the empty stomach makes the nausea so much worse too. Feeling very sorry for all the sick ladies, but also relieved I'm not the only one! Thankfully no vomiting over here though.

I had a girl give me her seat on the luas today which was great. Usually people just put their heads down and pretend not to see you.

Made it worse that I was left waiting until 9am despite showing up on time for my 8.30am appt, and having been awake since 4.30am! I could clearly see the nurse pottering around in the back and she had no patient before me as mine was the earliest they offer. Thought I was going to pass out with the hunger and heat. No apology for the delay either. Things like that would annoy me anyway but combined with pregnancy hormones I was fit to kill her.

Made it worse that I was left waiting until 9am despite showing up on time for my 8.30am appt, and having been awake since 4.30am! I could clearly see the nurse pottering around in the back and she had no patient before me as mine was the earliest they offer. Thought I was going to pass out with the hunger and heat. No apology for the delay either. Things like that would annoy me anyway but combined with pregnancy hormones I was fit to kill her.

Oh God that's awful! I haven't fasted for any bloods yet but have an appointment for gestational diabetes in July and dreading that for that fact I have to fast and hang around for a while.. Has anyone else had this test?

I can only imagine the heat in the hospital tomorrow its warm in the Coombe normally never mind with this heatwave! U can never tell how long u will be it could b one hour or 4 hours, my app is 9am

Oh God that's awful! I haven't fasted for any bloods yet but have an appointment for gestational diabetes in July and dreading that for that fact I have to fast and hang around for a while.. Has anyone else had this test?

I can only imagine the heat in the hospital tomorrow its warm in the Coombe normally never mind with this heatwave! U can never tell how long u will be it could b one hour or 4 hours, my app is 9am

I'm in on Wednesday, not looking forward to it. Last time It was after 1 when I got out!

I've had the GD test and have it at the end of July again. I hated it but primarily because fasting made me nauseous and then once I drank the drink the heartburn was horrific. I'll never forget it. I was already medicated for horrendous heartburn but couldn't take the tablet that morning. Apart from that its just a lot of hanging around. I'm getting my Anti D shot that day, and seeing clinic so its going to be a lot busier than last time which is good because it was boring

clacla82 wrote: »
    Play pen!! Do people still use those???? My MIL is always going on about them and how she used to leave the kids in them for hours at a time :D

I think one would be best since I have a dog, just to give the baby and the dog some space from each other so I can let the baby have some time on the ground without the hound sticking his nose in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

I think one would be best since I have a dog, just to give the baby and the dog some space from each other so I can let the baby have some time on the ground without the hound sticking his nose in.

What’s your plan for introducing the two? My wee pup is 18 months and pretty lively ( ok a lot :D) and I’m wondering how best to make introductions

Panda18 wrote: »

What’s your plan for introducing the two? My wee pup is 18 months and pretty lively ( ok a lot :D) and I’m wondering how best to make introductions
    Going to start carrying a doll soon, but he’s pretty chilled around small children in general so I’m not too worried about him. We’ve played audio of crying babies and he doesn’t bat an eyelid. He had a pretty hefty sniff of a baby blanket belonging to a relative, but that was it.

I’ll send Himself home with a worn babygro so the dog can get familiar with the scent, and obviously keep them separated when there’s any chance of the baby scaring him, hence the play pen, and the dog takes himself off to his crate if he’s feeling unsure about anything, so I think that as long as we’re calm he’ll be calm. He’s a lurcher, which tends to be a fairly gentle dog, I’d be more concerned about terriers or small breeds that are more reactive.

• Advertisement

Had a huge kick this morning that put my belly completely out of shape. The little one must have been stretching. Very cool to see!

Awh thats lovely Kylith.

I'm officially dying with the heat. Its 4 o clock ffs and my poor little lad keeps getting dragged back inside so I can cool down!! Though I am looking forward to a bbq later

Panda18 wrote: »

Going to start carrying a doll soon, but he’s pretty chilled around small children in general so I’m not too worried about him. We’ve played audio of crying babies and he doesn’t bat an eyelid. He had a pretty hefty sniff of a baby blanket belonging to a relative, but that was it.

I’ll send Himself home with a worn babygro so the dog can get familiar with the scent, and obviously keep them separated when there’s any chance of the baby scaring him, hence the play pen, and the dog takes himself off to his crate if he’s feeling unsure about anything, so I think that as long as we’re calm he’ll be calm. He’s a lurcher, which tends to be a fairly gentle dog, I’d be more concerned about terriers or small breeds that are more reactive.
    I am very worried about this! I have a almost 9 year old jack russell and she is very attached to me, she sometimes wont even eat or drink when I am not around and suffers from seperation anxiety too.. Any tips to introduce baby would be great! She loves her sleep and as shes that b older she wouldnt b hyper so I am hoping she will be ok.

All good with the consultant today and they had the air con on in the Coombe so it was nice and cool! I am 23 weeks 6 days and baby measured 23 weeks 4 days today so all good thank God

I am very worried about this! I have a almost 9 year old jack russell and she is very attached to me, she sometimes wont even eat or drink when I am not around and suffers from seperation anxiety too.. Any tips to introduce baby would be great! She loves her sleep and as shes that b older she wouldnt b hyper so I am hoping she will be ok.

All good with the consultant today and they had the air con on in the Coombe so it was nice and cool! I am 23 weeks 6 days and baby measured 23 weeks 4 days today so all good thank God
    In your case I would very much recommend getting a good behaviourist in. There are tips online about how to introduce babies to dogs but with an anxious or very attached dog I really would advise getting a professional in; the pet forum would be able to recommend someone in your area.

Feck feck feck. Baba is grand, transverse but good heartbeat and movements. Me on the other hand? High blood pressure again. Its been so stable this time!!! It came down by the end of the series but now all I can see is the bloody torture that was my last six weeks on my first with worry, three day a week BP series in the hospital, admission when it wouldn't stabilise but then going all the way to bloody term before being induced. I do NOT want to do that again.

Plus I'm supposed to fly to London in three weeks and I won't be allowed fly if it doesn't stay down. Feck it!!!!

Oh Mirrorwall14 what a nightmare :( I take it they can't give you anything to lower it? Bad enough for anyone but especially as you've been through it before so you know well how tough it'll be.

If I were you I'd express very clearly how you feel and ask for an early induction if you felt that going full term was too much last time.

• Advertisement

Oh Mirrorwall14 what a nightmare :( I take it they can't give you anything to lower it? Bad enough for anyone but especially as you've been through it before so you know well how tough it'll be.

If I were you I'd express very clearly how you feel and ask for an early induction if you felt that going full term was too much last time.

Won't need it unless it stays up but yeah I'll take it if needs be. Its funny, I feel so differently about it this time. Last time I was completely wired about meds, BP and growth restriction etc. This time having been through it I know they'll look after me and bubs and that it'll all be fine so I'm just pissed off about the inconvenience instead :mad: Like I really really want to be back at school in September, even if only for a week or two so that I can hand classes over properly!

I will push for an earlier induction this time if it comes down to that. Those last two weeks were un-necessarily stressful and being admitted then sent home the weekend before my induction was torturous. Having had a very fast labour too I'd be more comfortable being monitored.

Cross that bridge when we come to it. Maybe, just maybe it will stay down. That happens people right? :D

Well hopefully it happens for you!
    I know what you mean about handover. I'm due 14th so should be only back 5 weeks but everyone in work is telling me I won't be back at all as I'll be too big and uncomfortable. I teach in a special school and it's so important to have a good handover and set the class up with a good routine which we can establish in those first few weeks. A sub covering maternity would be really thrown in the deep end and it wouldn't be fair on anyone, kids or staff!

Well hopefully it happens for you!
    I know what you mean about handover. I'm due 14th so should be only back 5 weeks but everyone in work is telling me I won't be back at all as I'll be too big and uncomfortable. I teach in a special school and it's so important to have a good handover and set the class up with a good routine which we can establish in those first few weeks. A sub covering maternity would be really thrown in the deep end and it wouldn't be fair on anyone, kids or staff!

Fingers crossed :) I'm due the exact same day!

Yeah. I have 3rd/6th year Music and maths classes to be handed over plus the school show :eek: They're probably one of the best 6th year music class (and largest) we've had in the school (music still a fairly new subject) so I really want to make sure they are done justice if I can't be there.

The show is another story entirely. Its timetabled so at least the music sub will have time to get to grips with it but its all the miscellaneous stuff that needs to be passed off, ticket printing, budgets, rights, sound etc etc. Gives me a headache thinking about it to be honest and while I'm enjoying the summer it feels a bit like suspended limbo whenever I think about September.

And then I remember all the other stuff like choir to be handed over, first year welcome night, open night, christmas concerts and I decide to put it on the back burner and try and relax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Hi all,

24+3 here now...the time is just flyin by, defo quicker with no.2... how are ye all findin the heat? Im not too bad but I pity some ppl I know who are heavily pregnant. For all the teachers out there ye need to enjoy yere holidays and your maternity leave, work will always be there. In my job we always say were only a number when it comes to work, theres far more important things im life. Im sure yere subs will do a great job while yere off xx

audi02 wrote: »
    Hi all,

24+3 here now...the time is just flyin by, defo quicker with no.2... how are ye all findin the heat? Im not too bad but I pity some ppl I know who are heavily pregnant. For all the teachers out there ye need to enjoy yere holidays and your maternity leave, work will always be there. In my job we always say were only a number when it comes to work, theres far more important things im life. Im sure yere subs will do a great job while yere off xx

Time is going very fast!

You are dead right. And when I'm not a hormonal mess thats what I remember :D In my bad moments I'm like the music department will fall apart!! :eek:

I literally can't go out during the day tbh, I overheat so quickly. Even going out after three with my toddler I'm in full hat suncream, glass of water and shade if possible. Really glad I'm not further along

• Advertisement
Advertisement