Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

GD meds aren't covered by the DPS?! that's shambolic!
    I know, was shocked when i was told this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Well MW, you've inspired me. I wrote a list for the hospital bag and washed some nighties and some giant pants. I also finally hoked out some maternity clothes from last time and washed them, although they're winter clothes so of no use! I still have no idea where all the newborn clothes are though.

It's funny how much less excited you get about doing this stuff when it's second time around.

Any other second time mamas feeling worried about balancing the newborn with the other child? I'm dreading the cluster feeds because my toddler just doesn't understand that mammy needs to sit down and that we can't go outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Also feeling inspired I ordered a bunch of bits from boots, maternity pads, breast pads, all that other glamorous personal care stuff :P really handy though it's all paid for and I can just collect the box of stuff from the shop on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ha ha, everyone’s inspired! It’s funny I’m actually appreciating that my lad is 3.5 now even though I was devastated at the age gap. While he’s still very young he does accept that at times Mammy needs to sit etc. I imagine it’s harder with a younger child.

Plus we got him a board book and he’s hilarious. It has the ultrasound machine on it so now every time I got to the doc he’s telling me about the ‘chine. “The doctor will put gel on you and a strange picture will come up on the ‘puter”. Unbelievably cute (machine and computer lol)

Bought our travel system today in Smyths, so between that, the co sleeper, and my order with boots, I'm feeling super organised this weekend! Gotta sort the house out a bit as our two spare rooms are just overflowing with junk. As much as the baby will be in with us, and the changing table downstairs will be well stocked, we still need to sort the baby's room into more of a bedroom than a dumping ground!

All that's left to buy really is the changing table and changing bag and then stock up on wipes and nappies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Orange369 wrote: »
    I am just back from my GP now and I got the whopping cough vaccination, she said worst thing will be a dead or sore arm! It's 25 euro you have to pay for that.. Next appointment is 2.5 weeks in the Coombe for glucose test and meeting the consultant, does anyone know how many blood tests are involved in the glucose test? I am not too keen on blood tests.. Our travel system arrived so feeling very real now! I haven't bought much clothes etc but we are painting the baby room this weekend too

I didn’t have to pay for mine?

I have GD test next Friday too as my mum has type 2... sounds like 3 blood samples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The oozy boobs have started.

kylith wrote:
    The oozy boobs have started.

How many weeks are you? I suspect mine start soon but hoped it was too early I'm only 26 weeks...but noticing a bit of change in my nipples..

I have a friend who didn't know she was pregnant until 26 weeks... First symptom was leaky boobies!

I have a friend who didn't know she was pregnant until 26 weeks... First symptom was leaky boobies!

OMG!!!!

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    How many weeks are you? I suspect mine start soon but hoped it was too early I'm only 26 weeks...but noticing a bit of change in my nipples..

26 weeks yesterday. Was just giving myself a check and noticed it.

I know it's all part of the hormones and to be expected, but tbh I'm kinda freaked out! Its' a sign of how close it's all getting, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

My boobs have been leaking now about 4 weeks, ill be 26 weeks on Wednesday! I amnt feeling the best this weekend I dont know if its the whopping cough injection or the heat! My arm is very sore after that needle, I had similar injections for travelling to Asia as few years ago and I reacted the same way, I cant imagine how the poor babies feel after all their needles.. All you girls are so organised, when you are pre washing your baby clothes are you just using regular washing powder? I only use Aldi one myself

Orange369 wrote: »
    My boobs have been leaking now about 4 weeks, ill be 26 weeks on Wednesday! I amnt feeling the best this weekend I dont know if its the whopping cough injection or the heat! My arm is very sore after that needle, I had similar injections for travelling to Asia as few years ago and I reacted the same way, I cant imagine how the poor babies feel after all their needles.. All you girls are so organised, when you are pre washing your baby clothes are you just using regular washing powder? I only use Aldi one myself

Just make sure it's non-bio powder and you should be fine.

Weve used Aldi non bio liquid for the first and now the second.

Finding myself fierce grumpy today. Wanted to strangle my other half a couple of times but trying to be better to acknowledge when I’m being irrational. I had trouble sleeping last night and hurt my hips yesterday so I’m achey, headachey and overtired which does not make for a good combination in mood!

My bag is semi packed, not a labour bag/baby bag exactly yet but I ended up on a couple of overnights in the last trimester so it’ll be in the boot at the rest of my appointments. It was easy enough for my OH to come in with stuff the last time but with a three year old that’s not mad practical.

Just want to throw a pair of pj’s into it and it’s pretth much there. Oh and a word of advice, get a 3m charging cable for your phone girls, invaluable since the plugs tend to be over your head behind you!

+1 on the grumpiness. I nearly filed for divorce last night and this morning. Actually glad to be working yesterday and today, otherwise we would have killed one another.

Boots box arrived! Definitely feeling well organised now lol

Boots box arrived! Definitely feeling well organised now lol

Got mine today too! I was showing my sister the babygros and vests we've bought, just swooning over how small they are :)

Got mine today too! I was showing my sister the babygros and vests we've bought, just swooning over how small they are :)

Awh so cute!!! I only had bibs in mine that were half price, it was the maternity pads I was like ‘oh God I forgot how big these are’!!

On the other hand the box was sitting beside me waiting to go upstairs and I had forgotten the really distinctive smell of new packets of nappies, smells like babies!!!

Oh yeah the babygros were bought a few weeks ago, I just had to show her cure stuff after showing her to contents of the boots box...maternity pads, disposable knickers, nipple shields, nipple balm, perinium balm, etc etc etc...all the glamorous stuff :P

Need to get nappies and wipes next, have none in yet. Probably a silly question but 96 Pampers nappies for 10 in Tesco...how long will they last? A week? 10 days? Would you buy two boxes?

Anyone used a changing table that converts to a bath? There's one for 80 in Mothercare seems like good value but I'm concerned that the stuff stored below will end up wet..

Oh yeah the babygros were bought a few weeks ago, I just had to show her cure stuff after showing her to contents of the boots box...maternity pads, disposable knickers, nipple shields, nipple balm, perinium balm, etc etc etc...all the glamorous stuff :P

Need to get nappies and wipes next, have none in yet. Probably a silly question but 96 Pampers nappies for 10 in Tesco...how long will they last? A week? 10 days? Would you buy two boxes?

Anyone used a changing table that converts to a bath? There's one for 80 in Mothercare seems like good value but I'm concerned that the stuff stored below will end up wet..

It does depend on the baby, but generally newborn go through around 10 nappies a day. I'm not sure if they poo less if they're formula fed though?

This does reduce quite quickly, to 8 nappies and then 6 and so on. But I'd factor roughly 10 a day for the first couple of weeks anyway!

• Advertisement

Ok thanks Catriona. Did I read here or elsewhere that the size 1 might not last long? I'm thinking of buying two boxes of 96 to see how they fit, are others buying more?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Are you girls buying many newborn size clothes? The few bits I bought so far are all 0-3, I ordered a few lovely bits on Boots they had a sale on mini club, raging I missed the next sale some really cute bits for cheap!

I had almost no newborn the last time and my little 6lb lad was lost in 0-3 so I’ve a better balance this time. However on costs it is better to go 0-3 in terms of time. I’ve got a bit spare now because I have all the clothes from last time so it was easy to pick up 3/4 extra newborn size

Nappies wise I have two bags of size 1 and two of size 2 so about 100 each. Won’t be buying anymore for now. That’ll get us through the start and they go on our weekly shop then from aldi. I only used pampers on the big deals last time or between sizes. We found we went pampers size 3, aldi size 4, pampers size 4 etc as going from size to size always was a disaster!

I’m on the watch for Mam bottles now and a changing station. Most other stuff is done

Oh and is anyone else doing GentleBirth? I didn’t get into the Hypnobirthing class in the Coombe so I just got the app and am subscribing for the next three months

Re: size 1 nappies- they have weight limits which is a good guide in general I find. Size 1 and 2 overlap a lot, so if in doubt just buy a few size 1 and more size 2. You'll definitely use the size 2 at some point as baby grows, and can always pickup some more size 1s as needed if baby is small or slow to gain.

Re: newborn clothes- depends on the baby, but most don't get long out of them, or they never fit in the first place! My man was 7,11 at birth and only dropped to about 7,5 before gaining again. He could fit into newborn for a couple of weeks and then it was onto 0-3.

I personally am not going to bother with newborn this time. Maybe just have a couple of babygros in case baby is particularly small, and send someone out to get more if you need them.

Next and a few other places (Mothercare too) do an Up to 1 Month size, which means up to 10lbs or so. I feel like they are the best compromise. We have around 5 or 6 outfits in this size and I think it's the best of both worlds.

I have 3 newborn vests and 3 newborn babygros, and the same in 0-3 months.

How many of each size should I have altogether to start off? I figured they'll be enough for the hospital and I want to have plenty but not overdo it either.

I have 3 newborn vests and 3 newborn babygros, and the same in 0-3 months.

How many of each size should I have altogether to start off? I figured they'll be enough for the hospital and I want to have plenty but not overdo it either.

Depends on how often you want to wash.

Honestly I went through about 5 outfits in the second day in hospital lol! I liked to keep about 8-10 of each where possible (either babygros/outfits) so I wasn’t washing all the time

We got a lot of gifts tho, I didn’t have that on day 1

We got a lot of gifts tho, I didn’t have that on day 1

Yeah everyone says we'll be inundated with gifts but I don't want to depend on that and the first couple of weeks will only really see family; I always buy 6-9 months as gifts as I figure people have lots of newborn/0-3 and I imagine others do too. Also people tend to buy cutey outfits as gifts when really at the start you just need the basic onesies and vests. Think I'll stock up a good bit more so we're not under pressure with washing when exhausted at the start. Just finding it hard to find nice gender neutral stuff, all white in everything is fine but hard to get excited by :P

Where are you all buying little cardigans? Haven't seen any.. maybe it's the season?

Holy mother of foot and leg cramps! Up half the night demented with them. I only have to think about a cramp and it comes on at night. So annoying.

Anyone any tips on dealing with them? I find that elevating my legs against the wall for as long as I can tolerate does help.

• Advertisement

Anyone any tips on dealing with them? I find that elevating my legs against the wall for as long as I can tolerate does help.

Have you tried pointing and flexing your feet? Thankfully I haven't experienced cramps in my legs but my yoga teacher said that those exercises should be preventive. Typically dehydration can cause cramps but don't know if this is the same in pregnancy, and anyway it's hard enough to get water in. I find I'm sick if I drink with a meal and am getting heartburn over the slightest thing too.

Holy mother of foot and leg cramps! Up half the night demented with them. I only have to think about a cramp and it comes on at night. So annoying.

Have had horrific cramps all pregnancy, up at least every hour trying to walk them out. And then I discovered magnesium, it's a powder you get in health food shop, take it half an hour before bed and voila cramps gone, (for me anyway) took a week to kick in so don't get disheartened when it doesn't work straight away

Omg every hour, you poor thing! I'll try the magnesium. A friend did suggest a magnesium spray on the affected areas. How does the powder work - do you dissolve it and drink it or something?

Yeah everyone says we'll be inundated with gifts but I don't want to depend on that and the first couple of weeks will only really see family; I always buy 6-9 months as gifts as I figure people have lots of newborn/0-3 and I imagine others do too. Also people tend to buy cutey outfits as gifts when really at the start you just need the basic onesies and vests. Think I'll stock up a good bit more so we're not under pressure with washing when exhausted at the start. Just finding it hard to find nice gender neutral stuff, all white in everything is fine but hard to get excited by :P

Where are you all buying little cardigans? Haven't seen any.. maybe it's the season?

The list from my hospital says 6-8 babygros and 6-8 vests, think I have that now, all newborn - I am being very optimistic in that I hope my baby is not over 7.5lb! Bought a few 0-3 too but they do seem to run big, as I saw from my nephew who was 6lb 13 but nearly lost in some of the newborn stuff. Didn't spend a lot on most of them, Dunnes, Mothercare, Next basic but i do have some unbelievable stuff from Gap and Zara and H&M too.
    I got a beautiful white jacket for coming home in Debenhams the Jasper Conran stuff, it's light enough but warm enough for October.

And I can't WAIT to buy blue or pink! So hard not knowing!

clacla82 wrote:
    The list from my hospital says 6-8 babygros and 6-8 vests, think I have that now, all newborn - I am being very optimistic in that I hope my baby is not over 7.5lb! Bought a few 0-3 too but they do seem to run big, as I saw from my nephew who was 6lb 13 but nearly lost in some of the newborn stuff. Didn't spend a lot on most of them, Dunnes, Mothercare, Next basic but i do have some unbelievable stuff from Gap and Zara and H&M too. I got a beautiful white jacket for coming home in Debenhams the Jasper Conran stuff, it's light enough but warm enough for October.

Yeah I'm more curious about how much we'll need beyond the hospital, don't want to be glued to the washing machine so think I'll buy another 6 or 8 sleepsuits and vests in 0-3, I'd rather have too many than not enough.

I'm wondering do we need a jacket at all? Not recommended for baby to wear them in the car but to cover with blanket instead, so what will we need the jacket for? Getting from the hospital to the car?

It's cardigans to wear over sleepsuits that I can't seem to find anywhere,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I guess you'd need a jacket if you plan on bringing them for a walk?

• Advertisement

How long is the average hospital stay? I’m only a few minutes from the Coombe.

I’m probably being wildly naive, but 8 sleepsuits seems like a lot for a day or two.

Yeah I'm more curious about how much we'll need beyond the hospital, don't want to be glued to the washing machine so think I'll buy another 6 or 8 sleepsuits and vests in 0-3, I'd rather have too many than not enough.

I'm wondering do we need a jacket at all? Not recommended for baby to wear them in the car but to cover with blanket instead, so what will we need the jacket for? Getting from the hospital to the car?

It’s a super light little jacket, no heavier than a cardigan. Just to have them wrapped up going out, and yes as Lunamoon said would have it for a walk afterwards.
    Waiting to see sex before buying anymore now, want to buy colour and the hospital in Waterford is ten seconds drive from Tesco/Next so will be stocking up again once born.
    My mother has already promised to do my washing - she’s unreal but I won’t say no :D

kylith wrote: »
    How long is the average hospital stay? I’m only a few minutes from the Coombe.

I’m probably being wildly naive, but 8 sleepsuits seems like a lot for a day or two.

Some people stay 3 nights and they could go throughout 3 or more a day by all accounts.

Good to know. I’m trying to put the hospital bag together, which is hard cos I have stuff coming from family all over the place, so I don’t know what I actually have.

I’ll bring 4, I’d say, and if needed Himself can go home and get fresh ones.

Ours had a wool allergy so didn’t really wear cardigans as a result. Kept him well wrapped in cellular blankets with long sleeve vests (January baby) and he was fine. We had a little cotton sweater style jumper in 0-3 which he wore if needed usually in other people’s houses, he was fine at home. I had one of the big all in ones for the pram (which he honestly hated) and then we got a coat and a thick fleece blanket for it instead.

I used every outfit with me in the Coombe over the two nights. It settled after a few days though. Looking at my numbers now I have about 8 sleesuits in each age group 0-3,3-6,6-9 etc and increasing numbers of outfits as he got older and I was more inclined to dress him up! They became pyjamas as we moved from 6-9 into 9-12 and onwards we moved into pj’s mostly

• Advertisement

Omg every hour, you poor thing! I'll try the magnesium. A friend did suggest a magnesium spray on the affected areas. How does the powder work - do you dissolve it and drink it or something?

Haven't tried a spray, it doesn't make sense to me that spraying a mineral on the outside of your leg would help, just can't get my head around that! The magnesium I take is a powder, a teaspoon in a cup, pour a small bit of hot water on and it reacts by fizzing up and going smoky, like a science experiment! Then top up with cold water and drink it all. Stirring the whole time of course! It has really worked for me! No cramps at all since which is honestly a miracle in my book considering how bad I was

In terms of baby gros, I think you should have at least ten. What I did was to get sandwich/freezer bags and make up sets. So a baby gro (always button down the front, no over head ones) a vest and a nappy in each sandwich bag. And then in the hospital you were super organised and just pulled put a bag when you needed a change. Don't underestimate the number of poo explosions and spit ups you will experience in the first while that will necessitate a change! It's not a big deal of you have all 0 to 3 baby gros and the arms and legs are a bit big, just roll up the sleeves, it's not like they are walking around.

Oh, also, I had a box for the boot with all those freezer bags prepared and a freezer bag for me too with pyjama changes and knickers etc, everything clearly labelled. That way I just had to tell my husband what I needed and didn't have to worry about him not getting things matching correctly. Also, lots of plastic bags for him to bring home dirty clothes. You only have a small space for a bag in the hospital so you can't have everything with you so a back up box in the boot to replenish stock on request worked well for me

greenttc wrote: »
    Oh, also, I had a box for the boot with all those freezer bags prepared and a freezer bag for me too with pyjama changes and knickers etc, everything clearly labelled. That way I just had to tell my husband what I needed and didn't have to worry about him not getting things matching correctly. Also, lots of plastic bags for him to bring home dirty clothes. You only have a small space for a bag in the hospital so you can't have everything with you so a back up box in the boot to replenish stock on request worked well for me

I’ll second this, I did it for our lad and I’ll be doing it again. I had a small baby bag for the ward and a big one in the boot of his car so I could just say bring me up ‘x’.

We put shelves into the space room today so I got to reclaim the spare room bed but I’m exhausted now from helping with the shelves, lugging stuff and clothes and I’m going to suffer because my hips are killing me.

On the plus side I know where everything is in there now in terms of set up, I know what I’ve left to get.

Oh and my hip stuff arrived today (ball, balance circle thing for chairs and satin sheets). Hopefully that’ll all help

Oh yeah thanks haven't thought much beyond getting baby home but will want a coat for walks.

Also planning to organise things into sandwich bags for the hospital.. I made a list today of everything I have so I know what I have left to get, then I'll start washing and organising. Summer is going to fly by!

My husband doesn't drive so I'll be relying on my dad to get me to hospital when in labour. They seem to be very strict on storage space etc, will I be allowed to bring in my bigger bag plus nappies etc when I'm initially in labour, or just my labour bag? Won't have my car outside to store the extra bits for after labour..

Oh yeah thanks haven't thought much beyond getting baby home but will want a coat for walks.

Also planning to organise things into sandwich bags for the hospital.. I made a list today of everything I have so I know what I have left to get, then I'll start washing and organising. Summer is going to fly by!

My husband doesn't drive so I'll be relying on my dad to get me to hospital when in labour. They seem to be very strict on storage space etc, will I be allowed to bring in my bigger bag plus nappies etc when I'm initially in labour, or just my labour bag? Won't have my car outside to store the extra bits for after labour..

Just a labour bag for the Labour ward. In holles st they have lockers and hubby stores the other bags there

Edit: I was induced tho, so had an overnight bag with me from the previous night. I imagine if you've gone into spontaneous labour, they'd expect you to just arrive with the Labour bag.

I asked this on the pregnant in Ireland Facebook group and loads of people brought both with them. The Labour rooms are big, it’s the wards that are small. I had everything with me because I was induced

I'm in the Coombe. I'm just going to have to bring both bags with me, otherwise hubby will have to dash home to get the rest of my stuff, f3ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Ugh feeling pretty ill this morning, belly is gurgly and feeling pretty sick.also baby is kicking up a storm today so that could have something to do with it

Oh no you poor thing panda18 :( hope you feel better soon.

I've gotten sick the past 3 evenings and have had terrible heartburn throughout the day and night. Limiting water with food and changing what I eat hasn't helped. Baby also extremely active and I was miserable with it last night. Trying to eat very small amounts today and will discuss it with the midwife at my appointment on Friday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement