Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think we are all sick this morning! Threw up yesterday but just about held everything down this morning. Ick.

Cash_q talk to them about a ranitidine prescription. I got mine at the 24 week appointment and I'm doing way better on the heartburn front. Though she did offer me a nausea med too but I thought it was just heartburn and declined. I do regret that a bit now as I'm still throwing up every few mornings and it doesn't actually seem to be heartburn related. If it keeps it up I'll ask at the 28 weeks appointment.

I booked my BP check (before flying next week) and my whooping cough vaccine for Friday. Fingers and toes crossed but its been absolutely spot on this week so I'm not too worried

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

The morning sickness must be starting up again, I had two lovely weeks illness free, hopefully this bout passes quickly! I’ve started getting heartburn too now that you mention it. I must say it to the doc when I’m in next week. Hope it clears quickly for both of you too!
    I was having a massage yesterday and the lady mentioned she had her placenta encapsulated. Have any of you ladies had it done before or heard of it? I was looking it up last night and it seems like it might be benificial to us afterwards.

Panda18 wrote: »
    The morning sickness must be starting up again, I had two lovely weeks illness free, hopefully this bout passes quickly! I’ve started getting heartburn too now that you mention it. I must say it to the doc when I’m in next week. Hope it clears quickly for both of you too!
    I was having a massage yesterday and the lady mentioned she had her placenta encapsulated. Have any of you ladies had it done before or heard of it? I was looking it up last night and it seems like it might be benificial to us afterwards.

Do. Slugging gaviscon all day does not help nausea, at least in my case.

I’ve read up on it but it’s not for me though I am doing the gentle birthing stuff now and it wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea. I like that they aren’t completely anti intervention and instead focus on dealing with whatever gets thrown at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Cash_q talk to them about a ranitidine prescription.

Can the midwife give a prescription? I fear she'll refer me to the GP and there's another 60 euro gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yeah apparently the placenta encapsulation is a waste of time and money. When the placenta is heated to the temperatures required by the process, all the decent stuff gets destroyed - I think it's a bit of a fad thing. If you want the benefits, you've got to eat it!

Best thing to do to make sure you're feeling as good as possible after the birth is to get your iron levels up to the higher end of normal before you give birth - in my experience at least. And keep on the iron after birth for a few weeks too. They also have postnatal/breastfeeding vitamins you can take.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Can the midwife give a prescription? I fear she'll refer me to the GP and there's another 60 euro gone.

I'm not sure tbh. Though are you not on combined care with GP? You can get zantac OTC though they don't like giving it to pregnant women unless its prescribed. But its only 1/2 the dose the hospital give

Do. Slugging gaviscon all day does not help nausea, at least in my case.

I’ve read up on it but it’s not for me though I am doing the gentle birthing stuff now and it wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea. I like that they aren’t completely anti intervention and instead focus on dealing with whatever gets thrown at you

I’ve been looking into it too, it seems like a nice mindset to be going in to it with. Hopefully I stay calm enough to remember it though! :)

Yeah apparently the placenta encapsulation is a waste of time and money. When the placenta is heated to the temperatures required by the process, all the decent stuff gets destroyed - I think it's a bit of a fad thing. If you want the benefits, you've got to eat it!

Best thing to do to make sure you're feeling as good as possible after the birth is to get your iron levels up to the higher end of normal before you give birth - in my experience at least. And keep on the iron after birth for a few weeks too. They also have postnatal/breastfeeding vitamins you can take.

Oh man really?! I don’t fancy tucking in to that! :D i’ll Stick with my Galfor iron tablets so!
    Thanks for the heads up

I'm not sure tbh. Though are you not on combined care with GP?

I am but attending midwife clinic on Friday so presume next GP visit is in 4 weeks, at which I don't even see the GP I see the practice nurse who is a fully trained midwife, so if she can't prescribe it either they'll possibly charge for the GP to do it..

• Advertisement

Ah ok. Well I’d imagine the midwife will be able to organise it for you in some way tbh even if it has to be sent to you? I’d ask anyways, no harm

Yes I definitly will, thanks for the suggestion. I had melon and kiwi for dinner so I wouldn't puke at my yoga class :P came home and had to have two sandwiches so I suspect I'll be suffering again soon although I have been very careful today to eat light

Heartburn is awful, you poor thing. Definitely get some ranitidine. It saved my soul towards the end of my last pregnancy!

My appetite and diet has been so poor all pregnancy. And now as bump grows im getting full even quicker - anyone else struggling to eat meals? Last time i had put on 20lbs, maybe a little more, by now. At 26 weeks, I'm 10lb up this time.

But hey, at least my MIL hasn't had the opportunity to tell me I'm getting a "right fat arse" on me this time around! I know she's been dying to all pregnancy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had my GD clinic today. Lots of information, it appears that the needles and test strips aren’t covered by the HSE, which sucks, but i’ll Apply for what I can there.

The only thing is that the portion sizes seem tiny! I’m actually worried now that my calorie intake won’t be enough without the carbs in my diet. I see a major food planning session in my future.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

kylith wrote: »
    Had my GD clinic today. Lots of information, it appears that the needles and test strips aren’t covered by the HSE, which sucks, but i’ll Apply for what I can there.

The only thing is that the portion sizes seem tiny! I’m actually worried now that my calorie intake won’t be enough without the carbs in my diet. I see a major food planning session in my future.

God Kylith it sounds like such a pain. I have my test tomorrow and am hoping against hope I don't have it. Did you have any symptoms?

clacla82 wrote: »

God Kylith it sounds like such a pain. I have my test tomorrow and am hoping against hope I don't have it. Did you have any symptoms?
    I didn’t really have any, you often don't cos it’s not like normal diabetes.

Meal planning is going to be a big thing, like a ‘portion’ of oven chips is 4 chips, and you can have 2 portions with dinner and that’s it for your dinner carbs. So if you do test positive learn to love leafy veg (root veg have a lot of sugar).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Clacla82 said she didnt have to pay for her gd stuff when I was saying about it not being covered on the dps a few pages back, maybe see what she did...

It seems like a tough thing to have to deal with kylith, ontop of everything else too!

greenttc wrote: »

Clacla82 said she didnt have to pay for her gd stuff when I was saying about it not being covered on the dps a few pages back, maybe see what she did...

It seems like a tough thing to have to deal with kylith, ontop of everything else too!

It was covered up to about 4/5 years ago. Some people seem to get approved to have it funded, it probably depends on the mood of whoever opens your application. If you can find a chemist that will sell you all you need in one go you can claim it under the drugs scheme. Other than that it’s shopping around for where does a good deal on the stuff, cos apparently test strips can vary between €25 and €40

Adds to expense for expectant mums, it really should be covered.

Is anyone else exhausted? I actually cannot function. I slept fairly well last night, napped for two hours earlier and I'm still like a zombie. Its mental. I'm living for bedtime already.

Mirrorwall14 I am more tired than ever this week. Maybe it's because I'm finally finished work (was on a course last week), and having stopped it's all grinding to a halt. GP did say my thyroid levels are lower than they should be meaning my meds might be too high, which would be causing the rest of my organs to work in overdrive to keep up.

Thyroid or no thyroid, the heartburn and being sick all week has meant I've had crap sleep and then napping til midday, which I'm very lucky to be able to do. Midwife appt is 9am tomorrow, dreading having to be up and dressed at that hour!

Mirrorwall14 I am more tired than ever this week. Maybe it's because I'm finally finished work (was on a course last week), and having stopped it's all grinding to a halt. GP did say my thyroid levels are lower than they should be meaning my meds might be too high, which would be causing the rest of my organs to work in overdrive to keep up.

Thyroid or no thyroid, the heartburn and being sick all week has meant I've had crap sleep and then napping til midday, which I'm very lucky to be able to do. Midwife appt is 9am tomorrow, dreading having to be up and dressed at that hour!

Ick, hope the thyroid settles for you! My sisters have problems with it but I've been lucky so far. Midwife mentioned my Iron had dropped but I've been back on it with additional supplements for nearly two weeks now. To be fair I know the quality of my sleep isn't great but its actually way better than it was for first trimester and I was at work then. I'm just a zombie right now. I see the GP tomorrow so I think I'll say it to him!

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a pain, it took 18months for them to diagnose it and get my dose right, then 3 months later I got pregnant so it was all out the window again! Could be worse, it's just hard when everyone around me is saying they remember how tiring it was to be pregnant - yes it is, but when you've no thyroid function it's harder again!

I am wondering if my iron is low too, I think it was tested around 18 weeks and nothing was said, I must ask her tomorrow to check it as I'm vegetarian and definitely have not been eating well enough.

Adds to expense for expectant mums, it really should be covered.

I went into the chemist today and asked how much the test strips would be. The chemist just said 'expensive'.

greenttc wrote: »

No sorry, I think that was a mistake, what I said was I didn't have to pay for the whooping cough vax!

Midwife couldn't prescribe the ratinidine unfortunately, she said to ask the GP when I'm back there in a few weeks. Meanwhile I'm eating gaviscon morning til night!

Anyone around Liffey Valley, Dunnes Stores have a small amount of maternity night wear on sale, dressing gowns 7euro and nightdresses 5euro. They're strappy nighties so maybe not the warmest for October but handy for breastfeeding. Also a good sale on baby wear in M&S, got a grobag for 10euro down from 30, a few little cardigans for 4euro each which I was struggling to get anywhere else. They also have cosy all in one/outdoor sleepsuit things in pink in a few sizes. Lots of girls clothes in general and hard to find gender neutral stuff, but I got a few bits and the girl at the till said the sale is online too.

Midwife couldn't prescribe the ratinidine unfortunately, she said to ask the GP when I'm back there in a few weeks. Meanwhile I'm eating gaviscon morning til night!
    o.

I took omeprazole, not ranitidine and it did the trick for me. Took a few days to kick in but worked a treat. Have a feeling it may be over the counter so might be worth asking for and trying?

Ok great thanks greenttc!

Have felt like I've gone back to the first trimester over the last few days. Overwhelming exhaustion and nauseous all day long. Not fun.

Does third trimester start at 27 or 28 weeks? Not sure how I'll get through another whole trimester if I continue to feel like this. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get either - the exhaustion is just the same.

Thanks greenttc for the magnesium recommendation - I got a spray and it definitely has helped. Unfortunately I left it in a hotel at the weekend so need another one now! I also find that elevating my legs up high against the wall for ten mins before bed helpful.

Have felt like I've gone back to the first trimester over the last few days. Overwhelming exhaustion and nauseous all day long. Not fun.

Does third trimester start at 27 or 28 weeks? Not sure how I'll get through another whole trimester if I continue to feel like this. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get either - the exhaustion is just the same.

Thanks greenttc for the magnesium recommendation - I got a spray and it definitely has helped. Unfortunately I left it in a hotel at the weekend so need another one now! I also find that elevating my legs up high against the wall for ten mins before bed helpful.

I’m in the same boat if it makes you feel any better! The past few days have been rough getting used to the sickness again. It seems to be a constant feeling of nausea and then the tiredness is starting to come back again. One or two of my apps says the third trimester starts on week 28 :)

I started to buy a few bits of clothes for the baby yesterday to get the hospital bag started. Between it and stuff for home is there anything STM would recommend to get? I’m constantly running through a checklist in my head and I’m worried i’ll Forget something

Panda18 wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat if it makes you feel any better! The past few days have been rough getting used to the sickness again. It seems to be a constant feeling of nausea and then the tiredness is starting to come back again. One or two of my apps says the third trimester starts on week 28 :)

I started to buy a few bits of clothes for the baby yesterday to get the hospital bag started. Between it and stuff for home is there anything STM would recommend to get? I’m constantly running through a checklist in my head and I’m worried i’ll Forget something

Don't worry, you won't leave anything out using those lists, you will have too much! I just recommend my organising tip as mentioned in a previous post, the overflow box in the boot.

I didn't need it but I think it is a good idea to bring options for nightwear. Bring what you always use, I always wear pjs so brought those (don't be bringing something new and different if it's not what you usually wear, it's all about comfort not a fashion show) but I also Brought two night dresses (which I hate wearing) cause if I ended up with a cesarean I didn't want a waist band of pjs irritating a wound etc.

If you are breastfeeding bring things like lanolin cream and multi mam compresses, you will need them!!!

Most other things you will see on those lists like flip flops and slippers and maternity pads etc. I reckon don't just go with always night time, get the actual maternity pads, the always ones are just not up for the job, they weren't for me anyway, not until maybe two weeks after.

Apparently they recommend changing the mattress in cosleeper/cot/pram with each new baby. Is everyone doing this? I wasn't gonna bother but now I'm worried that if I don't, something will happen.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so rubbish, Panda18. Please God it's just a rough few days and you'll feel better again soon.

• Advertisement

Anyone used the Chico Next2Me co-sleeper in the past?

Just looking at the sheets, they're quite expensive for one sheet. Do standard cot sheets fit? Or does any other cheaper brand fit?

Just looking at the sheets, they're quite expensive for one sheet. Do standard cot sheets fit? Or does any other cheaper brand fit?

We have one (it's great). I just bought flat cot sheets, rather than fitted ones, and fit them snugly around. Nice and tight so they can't bunch up. All the specific Next2Me stuff is so dear. I was looking at replacement mattresses and couldn't believe the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Jumping in from the august thread. I bought the next2me in sale a few weeks back and was raging after when I saw the price of the sheets.

Was in baby elegance then a few weeks later and asked them she recommended their travel cot fitted sheets which were I think 13.50 for 2 so I got them. Slightly on the big side, like you’ll notice the elastic is further around it on the opposite side if that makes sense but theres no loose corners and when mattress is in properly it looks like a properfitted sheet! Went to ikea yesterday and took a pick of the sheet measurements to see if I could grab any of theirs, none matched up but I’ll keep looking, the measurements were 68cm x 97cm if you are looking around, hope that helps

Apparently they recommend changing the mattress in cosleeper/cot/pram with each new baby. Is everyone doing this? I wasn't gonna bother but now I'm worried that if I don't, something will happen..

Yeah I have read that loads of times, everywhere recommends changing mattresses for each new child. Seems so annoying when my first only used his very fancy top of the range crib mattress for like four months. Anyway, I'll get a new one for baba two, not taking any chances but he/she also won't be getting the fancy one their older brother got.

Tip for first time mums, don't be buying fancy expensive things, there is no point and your baby hasn't a clue and won't benefit any more than a baby with a normal priced product. Sure they could (and do in some cases) sleep in a cardboard box for all they care!

Very true! Or they may refuse to sleep anywhere except on your chest, and the fancy co-sleeper gets no use at all!

Did you buy your double buggy, green?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

I just bought the chicco Co sleeper, littlewoods had it on special.
    Thanks for advise on sheets, didn't look into that.. Stupidly.

What is everyone doing for pram/travel system. We had a look in eurobaby swords yesterday. This is baby 1 so a bit mind boggling.
    Thinking of going with the venicci soft travel system. Has anyone any experience of these? Reviews online are limited unfortunately.

Had my second hospital appointment today, its great getting to listen to heart beat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

We are almost at the 3rd trimester now! I havent been feeling too sick but I am extra hungry these days.. worst part is the back pain for me :( ill be back in hospital Tuesday week for my 28 week check with consultant and GD test too, really hoping I don't have it! I am starting to buy more now which is exciting and hav decided to paint half the house and get new carpet etc too..

Very true! Or they may refuse to sleep anywhere except on your chest, and the fancy co-sleeper gets no use at all!

Did you buy your double buggy, green?

Yes! I ended up trying the Mountain buggy and it was like a centimeter too big for my boot, annoying!! So in the end I got the City select which I am actually delighted with now, perfect single buggy and will be a good buggy for what I am guessing will be a short time using it as a double! Wee man loves walking and is not too fond of the buggy at the mo.

Tip number two for new mamas, especially if you know you will be having a second child. Get a buggy that can be made into a double!!! It is one of my regrets that I bought a single. So bugaboo donkey, city select, mountain buggy duet, uppa baby vista, or there are the likes of the Phil and Ted ones too. You will save yourself money and time doing this!!!

Ah it's a relief to get the biggest thing sorted, isn't it! Have you sold your silver cross? I can't bear to part with mine as I love it so much!

• Advertisement

Jutton wrote: »
    I just bought the chicco Co sleeper, littlewoods had it on special.
    Thanks for advise on sheets, didn't look into that.. Stupidly.

What is everyone doing for pram/travel system. We had a look in eurobaby swords yesterday. This is baby 1 so a bit mind boggling.
    Thinking of going with the venicci soft travel system. Has anyone any experience of these? Reviews online are limited unfortunately.

Had my second hospital appointment today, its great getting to listen to heart beat again.

We bought the Uppababy Vista, based on online reviews and then trying it in shop. The latest version especially seems to have been upgraded significantly. Wasn't into the Bugaboo despite its popularity!

Must look at sheets too for Next to Me, my brother giving us his

Ah it's a relief to get the biggest thing sorted, isn't it! Have you sold your silver cross? I can't bear to part with mine as I love it so much!

Haven't sold it yet but definitely am going to, we have far to many buggys and things around the house!! Including that tricycle yoke, kinda regret buying that now too, he didn't use it that much and is now far too into walking to care about it. May sell that also!

Update! Bought Next to Me sheets here https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222386619342?ViewItem=&item=222386619342

Used Parcel Motel for delivery - 4 for 20 as opposed to 2 for 25 euro.

In London for a few days and my god the walking and stairs with the tube, I’m dead on my feet. Nearly died when the hotel put us on the fourth floor (no lift) l. We were going to leave this morning and they moved us thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Hi All,

We have the uppababy from our first and love it. Going to get the adaptors now to make it a double buggy. Seen this offer on Amazon for prime day for anyone thats looking for one.. seems like a great deal:

UPPAbaby VISTA Pushchair and Carrycot, Denny Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FQWX1X4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GMBtBbT0Q8H7Z

We also have the maxi cosi axisfix car seat and love it..just bought a second one on amazon aswell, best price I've ever seen them at:

Maxi-COSI Axiss Group 1 Car Seat, Nomad Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T4X5PD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QQBtBbKRJCMET

Some other great offers on seats/buggys but its only til 12 tonight.

clacla82 wrote:
    Update! Bought Next to Me sheets here

Will you let us know what they're like please? Says compatible with next2me but I suppose you never know until you try them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Hey all!
    Looks like everyone is getting organised with cots and buggies and hospital bags!!
    I'm slowly getting my head in gear - have started to put things aside like nighties and slippers and newborn clothes for the hospital bag, and we bought a maxi cosi carseat and a Joie buggy, but other than that, I feel very disorganised! The moses basket is buried upstairs in the attic, and I haven't even considered a new mattress or sheets for it!

Had my GD test done on Monday and unfortunately, came back positive. So I'm back in next Monday to meet the team and the dietician. This is my 3rd baby, and the first time I've had it, so was initially very annoyed as everything else was going so smoothly! Anyhoo, have done a fair bit of research since, and am finding changing the diet not too bad. Looking forward to getting the monitor and seeing exactly where I'm at.

Otherwise, all else going well. My BP which was always a nightmare in pregnancy is surprisingly low, and baby is very active at 25 weeks, so lots to be positive about!

I’m barely prepared at all! I’n Getting everything from family so I have to wait for them to dig out their boxes of clothes and get the Moses basket out of the loft. I’m feeling so panicky just due to this inability to organise.

With the GD I’m going to talk to the dietician because i’ve basically cut out carbs entirely. I’m certain I follows good diet, I just want to make sure my lack of carbs isn’t an issue in itself. If you come up with some way for your fingers not to be covered in pricks let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

With the GD I’m going to talk to the dietician because i’ve basically cut out carbs entirely. I’m certain I follows good diet, I just want to make sure my lack of carbs isn’t an issue in itself. If you come up with some way for your fingers not to be covered in pricks let me know!

Have you had GD before Kylith?

Jodee08 wrote: »

Have you had GD before Kylith?
    No, this is my first pregnancy. However, my family is riddled with GD and diabetes in general so I was kind of expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In London for a few days and my god the walking and stairs with the tube, I’m dead on my feet. Nearly died when the hotel put us on the fourth floor (no lift) l. We were going to leave this morning and they moved us thank god!

Ah yes, London is brutal like that. I had my two babies there and commuting was seriously hard going by the end!

I use Mothercare crib fitted sheets on the Chicco Next2Me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement