Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Lidl have baby items on offer tomorrow, anyone any experience of their quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Jutton wrote:

My friend says the clothes wash really well and are generally good quality. Another girl online was saying she has the thermometer a few years and she swears by it

Anyone know when Aldi might have a baby event coming up? Their mamia changing unit looks great but impossible to know if it'll come back in before baby comes

In other knews, I'm bloody starving. Wide awake and don't want to get up and eat because the heartburn isn't worth it

Midwife couldn't prescribe ratinidine but I got Maalox over the counter and it's great in case anyone else is suffering, I just don't want to bring it on at this hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

How's the insomnia going for you all? I've been doing great the last few months. But for three nights in a a row, my 17 month old has woken up crying around 2am and I've been unable to get back to sleep afterwards. Bloody wrecked. Zzzzzzzzz.

How's the insomnia going for you all? I've been doing great the last few months. But for three nights in a a row, my 17 month old has woken up crying around 2am and I've been unable to get back to sleep afterwards. Bloody wrecked. Zzzzzzzzz.

Oh you poor thing :(
    I've been awake at 3.30 a few times and 5.30 lately when hubby gets up which is fine, but with this being first baby and time off work I don't need to be anywhere and have been getting good naps in.
    It is impossible to get back to sleep in the middle of the night, can't imagine how tired you are to have to get up with your toddler :(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Jodee08 wrote: »
    Hey all!
    Looks like everyone is getting organised with cots and buggies and hospital bags!!
    I'm slowly getting my head in gear - have started to put things aside like nighties and slippers and newborn clothes for the hospital bag, and we bought a maxi cosi carseat and a Joie buggy, but other than that, I feel very disorganised! The moses basket is buried upstairs in the attic, and I haven't even considered a new mattress or sheets for it!

Had my GD test done on Monday and unfortunately, came back positive. So I'm back in next Monday to meet the team and the dietician. This is my 3rd baby, and the first time I've had it, so was initially very annoyed as everything else was going so smoothly! Anyhoo, have done a fair bit of research since, and am finding changing the diet not too bad. Looking forward to getting the monitor and seeing exactly where I'm at.

Otherwise, all else going well. My BP which was always a nightmare in pregnancy is surprisingly low, and baby is very active at 25 weeks, so lots to be positive about!

That's annoying Jodie, did you hear straight away? I had mine last Friday and no word so am hoping it's negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

clacla82 wrote: »

That's annoying Jodie, did you hear straight away? I had mine last Friday and no word so am hoping it's negative.
    Where did you get it done? The Coombe let me know within the day, and said that if you didn’t hear then you didn’t have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Jutton wrote: »

I have actually found all their stuff really good, as cash said the clothes are great and wash and wear really well, still getting them for my toddler now and they are good quality.

Haven't looked at the aldi changing table cash but I would say to really think about what you are getting. I don't think the ones with a bath are worth it at all as you would only use the bath for a very short time and then you are left with this big contraption in your house. In my experience get one that looks like a set of drawers (or just buy an actual set of drawers!) as it will be a piece of furniture you will use long after you have finished changing nappies!

greenttc wrote:
    Haven't looked at the aldi changing table cash but I would say to really think about what you are getting.

Yeah the Aldi one has a little press and two drawers so it looks great, but sure it might never come back in. I had considered those bath top trolley type ones but really they're not very aesthetically pleasing plus I fear things stored underneath will get wet. It's for downstairs too, so do want it to look nice.

I have a little bookcase that's about waist height and am considering clearing that off and using it as a changing table by just placing the mat on top. Ok there's no lip around the edge but sure baby would never be unattended at it or at a 'proper' changing unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kylith wrote: »
    With the GD I’m going to talk to the dietician because i’ve basically cut out carbs entirely. I’m certain I follows good diet, I just want to make sure my lack of carbs isn’t an issue in itself. If you come up with some way for your fingers not to be covered in pricks let me know!

Ok, apparently don’t do this. Despite eating a little carbs through the day (oats at breakfast, crisp breads and rice cakes for snacks) they want you having a little at every meal to avoid keytosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yeah the Aldi one has a little press and two drawers so it looks great, but sure it might never come back in. I had considered those bath top trolley type ones but really they're not very aesthetically pleasing plus I fear things stored underneath will get wet. It's for downstairs too, so do want it to look nice.

I have a little bookcase that's about waist height and am considering clearing that off and using it as a changing table by just placing the mat on top. Ok there's no lip around the edge but sure baby would never be unattended at it or at a 'proper' changing unit.

Downstairs we just used the kitchen table and had all the changing stuff in a basket beside it so was easy to take out and clear away.

I suppose I am just trying to pass on lessons learned from my first time round cause I made so many mistakes with all the stuff i bought and thought I needed. Buying a downstairs changing unit is something someone else told me not to do and I am so glad I didn't.I used drawers upstairs so they don't go to waste. One time I actually made a good decision! You could actually pack your house with stuff you dont really need!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm really trying to not go overboard buying unnecessary crap but our house isn't that big and I want it more for the storage of all the bits and pieces downstairs, using the top as a changer is a bonus. My friend has her nappies and wipes and bibs and cloths etc stored on every surface in the living room, I just want to have a specific spot for it all, and with an open plan living room/hall we have space to store a unit under the stairs. It can be used for baby's clothes eventually too. Cant justify spending mad money on it though!

For downstairs, we just stored nappies/wipes/cream in a fabric storage box from Ikea, and put a few changes of vests and onesies in another. Took up very little space and easy to slot away in a cupboard or on a chair around the table (We also just put a changing mat on our dining table).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

clacla82 wrote: »
    Yep! I left the hospital at 11am and had a call at 2pm!
    I was told they would call me the same day and if not, the result was negative!
    So sounds like you’re in the clear!

kylith wrote: »
    Ok, apparently don’t do this. Despite eating a little carbs through the day (oats at breakfast, crisp breads and rice cakes for snacks) they want you having a little at every meal to avoid keytosis.

I’m looking forward to seeing the dietician on Monday!
    I’ve done my own research and am trying my best with my new diet but I haven’t a clue if I’m eating the right amount of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Hi girls.. I am in the Coombe Tuesday for my GD test and consultant app.. how many blood tests do you get like my app is starting at 8.10am so any idea what time it would finish? Have we to fast from the night before? And can you even have small amounts of water? I love my cereal first thing I eat breakfast before work so I will struggle Tuesday morning not eating til late morning or close to 12!

Orange369 wrote: »
    Hi girls.. I am in the Coombe Tuesday for my GD test and consultant app.. how many blood tests do you get like my app is starting at 8.10am so any idea what time it would finish? Have we to fast from the night before? And can you even have small amounts of water? I love my cereal first thing I eat breakfast before work so I will struggle Tuesday morning not eating til late morning or close to 12!

My letter said to fast from 8 the night before, and drink sips of water if thirsty.

Blood tests will be roughly 8.30, 9.30, 10.30 and then you can eat! But the sweet drink does pretty much keep you going and you aren't that keen on eating after drinking it!

Same here. Fasting from 8pm the night before. Allowed water but once the first blood test is done & you take the drink nothing else past your lips til after your 3rd blood test.
    Also, the drink has to be taken within 5 minutes.
    They’ll ask you to have something to eat before you leave the hospital.
    I found it very hard going not eating for that long! It took me a couple hours after eating to feel okay again.

Thanks girls! I never got a letter just got the appointment wrote down on my pink appointment card.. I am due in work after do you think it would be better to go home instead?

Orange369 wrote: »
    Thanks girls! I never got a letter just got the appointment wrote down on my pink appointment card.. I am due in work after do you think it would be better to go home instead?

No I reckon you'd be fine! I was and I can be a bit of a weakling :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Home safe and sound but exhausted! Ended up emailing DAA for assistance from Ryanair back to arrivals yesterday. Slightly mortified but it was worth it, they were lovely and I was much more mobile today as a result. Pain has settled a bit this evening after a lot of ball work and careful sitting/resting. It’s really going to be a matter of keeping it under control because any aggravation is really sore.

Apart from that sorry to hear about the GD. My test is next week, I avoided it last time so I’m crossing fingers and toes this time around!

Busy appointment next week for 28 weeks with RH- shot, GD and a consultant appointment!

You were just right to get assistance at the airport - there's no way I would've managed it when my SPD was bad last time. The only thing for it is rest, really. And doing your exercises and all the wee tricks to minimise impact. Its great that you have the summer off work - i had to cut down to 3 days a week around this stage and then stop altogether at 34 weeks.

It may be wise to do some contingency planning though, as going back in September may be too much for you. All the walking you've to do around schools too - tough.

You were just right to get assistance at the airport - there's no way I would've managed it when my SPD was bad last time. The only thing for it is rest, really. And doing your exercises and all the wee tricks to minimise impact. Its great that you have the summer off work - i had to cut down to 3 days a week around this stage and then stop altogether at 34 weeks.

It may be wise to do some contingency planning though, as going back in September may be too much for you. All the walking you've to do around schools too - tough.

That’s on the cards now alright. The first three days are meetings so they’ll be fine. But teaching may be rough enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NeeNeeAW

Hi girls,
    Completely forgot about this thread for the last few months and disgusted cos you all are so much more organized than me!
    This is baby number 1 and I have a sum total of 6 vests and 6 cloths bought! I need to sort my ****!

I read through the last few pages to try keep up!
    Re: GD - if you know anyone with non pregnancy diabetes ask them to get needles and strips for you! My dad in law seems to have a constant supply of them!

Re: foot and leg cramps - keep tonic water beside your bed and have a couple of mouthfuls before you go to sleep!

Had GD test the other day and don’t have it TG, my friend does and she isn’t taking it seriously at all, it’s really bugging me! But who am I to comment!!

Really struggling the last week or so! Haven’t been sleeping as apparently baby is in “the most awkward position ever” according to consultant! Have a constant pain under my breast bone! No sleep is no joke! But I may get used to it I suppose! Feeling a little on my own in all this and a little overwhelmed I guess!

My friend is giving me a changing table and black out curtains!
    She’s giving me an iso fix base too but I don’t know how to get it from her to find out which car seat would be compatible with it! Are they all the same? It’s about 3 years old!

Really trying to figure out if we need the next to me or just a normal bassinet for baby! A friend of mine got it for second baby and said it’s amazing! But I don’t know! Hubby works away 4 nights a week so I will be feeding (bottle) in the room always cos I won’t be disturbing anyone!

Also - in relation to bottles does anyone do room temperature bottles? Really considering it, it seems like a really clever and time saving idea!

NeeNeeAW wrote:
    Really struggling the last week or so! Haven’t been sleeping as apparently baby is in “the most awkward position ever†according to consultant! Have a constant pain under my breast bone! No sleep is no joke! But I may get used to it I suppose! Feeling a little on my own in all this and a little overwhelmed I guess!

I had a rubbish day yesterday. I was feeling sick and uncomfortable all day long and just generally not great, thankfully sleeping well these days as I'm off work for the summer so I can sleep late and nap if I need to. I am also feeling a bit on my own in all this..one of my best friends had a baby in December and she's been great for asking how I am and generally being excited, but she is also quite different to me in her approach to labour, birth, feeding, parenting etc and her opinions are quite loud so I don't feel I get much chance to express my position. My sisters sometimes express a bit of excitement but it's always me texting them first. My mam has not once asked me how I am or how appointments went etc but that's just her, she never asks me anything about my life. I do feel I'm on my own with the pregnancy, as supportive as my husband is, he is still a man and doesn't get what it's like, he is amazing and so excited and supportive but the physical and mental side of it he will just never experience or understand.
    NeeNeeAW wrote:
    She’s giving me an iso fix base too but I don’t know how to get it from her to find out which car seat would be compatible with it! Are they all the same? It’s about 3 years old!

Could you just ask her what car seat it's compatible with? They're not all the same so you need to know what it is so you can buy the correct car seat. Surely she won't mind answering? Alternatively you could just collect it from her and go from there? Make sure to check that there are no cracks in it and ask her if it has ever been in an accident or collision of any kind.
    NeeNeeAW wrote:
    Really trying to figure out if we need the next to me or just a normal bassinet for baby! A friend of mine got it for second baby and said it’s amazing! But I don’t know! Hubby works away 4 nights a week so I will be feeding (bottle) in the room always cos I won’t be disturbing anyone!

We got the next2me and I'm hoping to breastfeed so figure it will be easiest to just sit up in bed and be able to pick baby up. I don't know what the advantage or disadvantage of having a bassinet would be, I just really like the idea of having the baby as close to us as possible when it is so tiny.

Try to remember to post more often in here or even just read it, I definitely find it a great source of advice and support and many of us have gone through similar fears/worries/queries, so that definitely takes the isolation away.

Just a heads up for first timers, I had periods where sleeping upright In a recliner was much more successful in third trimester on my first when he was in funny positions!

I have the next to me. It’s bigger than a bassinet so will last longer, we got the full six months out of it. I adore it. Honestly the best money we ever spent and I was bottle feeding too. We did bottles whatever way they came, straight from the fridge or at room temperature if straight from the perfect prep machine. It was great that he would take them cold because it removed the faffing about with warming them. Oh and if making them from the kettle and cooling to give it to him always check it on your wrist, bottle might feel cool but the milk could be roasting!

It can be hard if you feel on your own girls so do keep chatting. Heck I’m still in a Facebook group from my 3.5 year old we set up from our original boards pregnancy group. There’s also a pregnant in Ireland facebook group which is really active and great for quick responses and discussions relevant to Ireland. I’m in a few uk October groups too on fb. . I also follow babybumps on reddit but not all that closely this time around. It can be pretty American based. Steer clear of babycentre and the like, some of them are totally mental!!

Clearly I use the online communities a lot though I have a best friend who is excellent. Family are pretty decent but there’s an awful lot going on for everyone right now. And sometimes they don’t get things, I’m already feeling like I can’t complain about SPD because ‘everyone gets pain and pressure’.

• Advertisement

Mirrorwall14 I'm in an October mams Facebook group based in Ireland and the support is great. I think I prefer the relative anonymity on here sometimes even though I don't know any of the girls in that group. I joined it through rollercoaster if you're interested in joining.

Mirrorwall14 I'm in an October mams Facebook group based in Ireland and the support is great. I think I prefer the relative anonymity on here sometimes even though I don't know any of the girls in that group. I joined it through rollercoaster if you're interested in joining.

Me too! I find it very good. Are you in the original group or the one that splintered off after the drama?

Feeling pants today. Very nauseous and like I've been hit by a bus. My back/pelvis is killing me too, as my job is basically all turning/twisting/stretching/leaning over patients and equipment. I only work sat/sun/mon but I'm in bits!

I tried getting in there but they couldn't find me apparently!

Me too! I find it very good. Are you in the original group or the one that splintered off after the drama?

Feeling pants today. Very nauseous and like I've been hit by a bus. My back/pelvis is killing me too, as my job is basically all turning/twisting/stretching/leaning over patients and equipment. I only work sat/sun/mon but I'm in bits!

Oh thats rough going catrionanic. Have you been for physio?

I'm in the original group, I missed most of that drama and it all seemed pretty blown out of proportion, then the posts on rollercoaster by the new group were pretty off putting so I stayed put! No need for drama at a time like this, least of all from strangers online!

Ah that's a pity Mirrorwall14, I don't know how to add you otherwise I would!

I've just eaten crisps and chocolate for breakfast...and am feeling a bit better :P it'll be a different story when the heartburn kicks in and it's all repeating on me, but trashy tv and junk food is just fine for now!

• Advertisement

Girls I am in a group on Facebook called Help Im having a baby! It's hilarious, some decent posts and advice but then again some crazy ones too, I found it through the help im getting married group.. I am getting married next March but the baby situation has taken over and wedding planning is taking a back seat at the min.. I am the same up and down, waking up a lot at night and back and pelvic pain is my biggest complaint.. Looking forward to my hospital app Tuesday its always great reassurance getting a little scan.. A friend of mine just had a baby this morning her little rainbow baby too so I got very emotional when I saw that on FB.. i feel I will be very emotional when my baby is born cause she is due 7 days after the date we lost our baby last year

Orange369 wrote:
    Girls I am in a group on Facebook called Help Im having a baby! It's hilarious, some decent posts and advice but then again some crazy ones too, I found it through the help im getting married group.. I am getting married next March but the baby situation has taken over and wedding planning is taking a back seat at the min.. I am the same up and down, waking up a lot at night and back and pelvic pain is my biggest complaint.. Looking forward to my hospital app Tuesday its always great reassurance getting a little scan.. A friend of mine just had a baby this morning her little rainbow baby too so I got very emotional when I saw that on FB.. i feel I will be very emotional when my baby is born cause she is due 7 days after the date we lost our baby last year

I'm in that group too but there's too many people in it I feel and lots of posts after baby is here which is just not relevant to me now, I really like the October one as there's only about 70 members but like here it's the same core of regular posters. Plus we're all in around the same stage which helps. I loved the one for Getting Married but I left it a few months after getting married. Fair play to you planning your wedding for March, it will be amazing to have your little one as part of your day.

That's great news for your friend, and bound to be very emotional for you when your own rainbow baby comes. Maybe discuss it with your midwife or consultant and see if they have advice? Mothercare have little babygros with 'My rainbow baby' on them, they're part of the Jools Oliver Little Bird range, could be cute for your friend's and your own baby.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost a baby, Orange369. Have you found yourself more anxious this pregnancy as a result of that?

Amidst all the complaining I do about sickness and exhaustion and pains, I never forget how lucky I am.

So sorry to hear that Orange369 I’m sure the next few weeks will be bittersweet for you xx

Slept on the couch again last night, it’s far more comfortable as I have to sleep on my side, in bed I tend to half roll onto my front!

I must have a look for those groups, always good to see different discussions!

NeeNeeAW wrote:
    I must have a look for those groups, always good to see different discussions!

The October babies one is a secret group so you need to be added to it by admin, if you look on rollercoaster there is a thread there about getting added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Anyone else super undecided whether to breastfeed? It’s not something I can see myself doing long term but I was thinking about trying to do it for a week or two or maybe combination feeding? I’ve been trying to find articles online but everything I come across seems to aimed towards breastfeeding.

Panda18 wrote: »
    Anyone else super undecided whether to breastfeed? It’s not something I can see myself doing long term but I was thinking about trying to do it for a week or two or maybe combination feeding? I’ve been trying to find articles online but everything I come across seems to aimed towards breastfeeding.

What makes you unsure about it, out of interest? I fed my wee man for 13 months (was pregnant again when I stopped), so if you've any reservations or worries I could see if I can help at all?

Getting the colostrum into them in the first three days is a really great start, even if you don't go any further. Honestly, every additional day you do breastfeed for is a bonus, and even if you only do a few weeks of it, your baby has benefited from it. So try not to focus on how long you go, just take one day at a time and be proud of yourself for doing that.

Combination feeding works well for many families, but I would be wary of introducing it too early because it can affect your supply. The first six weeks are the most important for building up a good milk supply. With each bottle you introduce, your body produces a bit less milk. And then because you have less milk for baby, you introduce another bottle, and another, and supply dips further. Kind of a vicious cycle. So you have to be a bit careful in the early days if you're doing a combination.

I would highly recommend speaking to a lactation consultant - they're the real experts and will have lots of experience in combination feeding so be able to give you better advice that most stuff you read online.

There are also some good cuidiu and la leche league meetings around, and they welcome expectant mums with questions.

It's great that you're up for giving it a try though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

I’ve decided not to feed! There’s no reason for this only the fact that the idea of it just freaks me out! I can’t explain it but that’s just me! I also don’t like baby bumps (barely coping with my own - but can’t look at myself in the mirror) but again it’s just a personal thing! I think anyone that does breastfeed is amazing and hats off to them! It’s a wonderful, natural thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

I feel there's a lot of pushing towards breastfeeding alright and it's something I won't be doing for my own reasons (I didn't even dare say it at the antenatal class. I'm aware of the benefits). I would say do what feels right to you.

What makes you unsure about it, out of interest? I fed my wee man for 13 months (was pregnant again when I stopped), so if you've any reservations or worries I could see if I can help at all?

Getting the colostrum into them in the first three days is a really great start, even if you don't go any further. Honestly, every additional day you do breastfeed for is a bonus, and even if you only do a few weeks of it, your baby has benefited from it. So try not to focus on how long you go, just take one day at a time and be proud of yourself for doing that.

Combination feeding works well for many families, but I would be wary of introducing it too early because it can affect your supply. The first six weeks are the most important for building up a good milk supply. With each bottle you introduce, your body produces a bit less milk. And then because you have less milk for baby, you introduce another bottle, and another, and supply dips further. Kind of a vicious cycle. So you have to be a bit careful in the early days if you're doing a combination.

I would highly recommend speaking to a lactation consultant - they're the real experts and will have lots of experience in combination feeding so be able to give you better advice that most stuff you read online.

There are also some good cuidiu and la leche league meetings around, and they welcome expectant mums with questions.

It's great that you're up for giving it a try though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

Thanks :) the idea of breastfeeding has always made me feel kinda uncomfortable and whenever I’ve thought about having a child breastfeeding never came into it. I totally get that breast feeding is best all round but I can’t see it as a long term thing and i haven’t a clue whether to buy bottles or not.
    My husband is a farmer and he mentioned that about the first milk being the best and most nutrious so I was willing to see how I got on and take it day by day. Would exclusively pumping be an option or is that just crazy?

• Advertisement

Nessel wrote: »
    I feel there's a lot of pushing towards breastfeeding alright and it's something I won't be doing for my own reasons (I didn't even dare say it at the antenatal class. I'm aware of the benefits). I would say do what feels right to you.

Thanks! I’m completely undecided at the minute I’m just going to wing it and see how it goes but that’s making me feel very unprepared :D

NeeNeeAW wrote: »
    I’ve decided not to feed! There’s no reason for this only the fact that the idea of it just freaks me out! I can’t explain it but that’s just me! I also don’t like baby bumps (barely coping with my own - but can’t look at myself in the mirror) but again it’s just a personal thing! I think anyone that does breastfeed is amazing and hats off to them! It’s a wonderful, natural thing!

Yeah it freaks me out too! Dunno why though. I think it’s great when a woman is comfortable and able to do it, I wish I was more sure either way :)

Thanks :) the idea of breastfeeding has always made me feel kinda uncomfortable and whenever I’ve thought about having a child breastfeeding never came into it. I totally get that breast feeding is best all round but I can’t see it as a long term thing and i haven’t a clue whether to buy bottles or not.
    My husband is a farmer and he mentioned that about the first milk being the best and most nutrious so I was willing to see how I got on and take it day by day. Would exclusively pumping be an option or is that just crazy?

Is it just the thought of it That you find offputting then? As in the thought of a baby on your breast? Understandable- over the last couple of generations boobs have been sexualized so much, and it's fairly uncommon to see them used to feed a baby (even though that's what they are designed for), so a lot of people feel that way.

You may find that when baby comes and all the hormones rush in and you're doing lots of skin to skin, that it comes to you more naturally than you think it will. Either that or you'll just get used to it! Your body changes so much after having a baby that a few parts of the body are no longer fit for sexual purposes for a while at least.... !!!

Some mums do exclusively pump, but to be honest with you, it's a LOT more work! It can also be harder to build up a supply with pumping than with having baby on the breast (a baby is way more efficient than the world's best pump, after all). Most exclusively pumping mums end up doing so because of problems they had with breastfeeding, or because they had to go back to work when baby was very small (which is why so many Americans pump... the poor women only get six weeks maternity). Just start on the boob and see how you go. You have options from there. I wouldn't go out investing in an expensive pump yet though as it may end up being a waste of money.

Re: bottles, I was pretty sure I wanted to breastfeed on my first baby, but was aware that sometimes things don't go to plan so I just bought a few bottles. MAM bottles are good because they self-sterilise in the microwave, so you can see how you go with the breastfeeding but have a couple of MAM bottles in the cupboard and not have to have bought a steriliser too. If you then decide that you want to go down the formula route, you can buy a steriliser and a bigger stock of bottles then.

You can also pick up wee bottles of readymade formula in supermarkets and give it straight to baby. They're expensive to use every day, but it's good to know you can always run out and grab some if needed. I got food poisoning when baby was three weeks old, and my husband picked up a couple of them to give to baby so I could get a few hours sleep.

Your husband is totally right about the first milk, by the way. Full of goodness, and antibodies to help the immature immune system. Plus the baby's tummy is so tiny at the beginning that they actually only need about a teaspoon of colostrum at each feed in the first few days. It's so dense with the right nutrients that they don't need much.

Hats off to everyone who does it but it isn't for me. I've a myriad of reasons why I will not, the first is generally what I say when under pressure and to be fair its legitimate (need a medication particularly in Winter, pumping/work wouldn't be an option for me, sharing and balancing the household with my husband etc) but really I am not comfortable with it. Particularly as a plus size woman, I don't want to be on display any more than I already am. I'm full of praise for those who do though, fair play to you all

Brilliant, thank you so much! You’ve explained it better than any article I’ve read. I’ll get a couple of bottles just incase but take it day by day and see how I get on. I feel better about it now, it was making me worried to think I’d be screwing up by starting and not being able to continue for whatever reason. Sorry I over think stuff like this and make it a bigger deal in my head

quote="catrionanic;107587593"]What makes you unsure about it, out of interest? I fed my wee man for 13 months (was pregnant again when I stopped), so if you've any reservations or worries I could see if I can help at all?

It's great that you're up for giving it a try though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that![/quote]

Panda18 wrote:
    I feel better about it now, it was making me worried to think I’d be screwing up by starting and not being able to continue for whatever reason. Sorry I over think stuff like this and make it a bigger deal in my head

I am hoping to breastfeed but the operative word there being *hoping*

There's every chance that the milk won't come in/supply will be low/I will just be so driven demented by lack of sleep and cluster feeding that I'll have to stop for both mine and baby's sake. I think it's really important to prepare ourselves that with the best will in the world, it might not work out, and we can't beat ourselves up about it.

That said, I am going to give it 100% as I really do want to breastfeed for the first 6 months if I can. I think it's really important to arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible, e.g. not to offer the bottle in those early days until supply is established. It's only by discussing with others that we can be empowered to make decisions when exhausted after labour. I've seen somewhere that it should be in your birth plan that you intend to breastfeed and for staff not to offer the baby bottles while you recover. Obviously no-one can predict what way labour will go and no-one will allow baby to starve, but our preferences should be respected when possible.

There is no right or wrong or failure or 'screwing up' as you put it, once baby is fed that's the main thing in my view

Good for you girls for giving it a go! It’s great to see it being normalised these days

Edit: Cash_q from my sisters experience they will not go anywhere near a bottle with a breastfed baby even if Mum is keeling over. They are not allowed to suggest one. A doc is the only one who can bring it up if the baby is seriously underweight apparently

Edit: Cash_q from my sisters experience they will not go anywhere near a bottle with a breastfed baby even if Mum is keeling over. They are not allowed to suggest one. A doc is the only one who can bring it up if the baby is seriously underweight apparently

Unfortunately I have heard the opposite too, so it makes sense to put it in your birth plan.

I am hoping to breastfeed but the operative word there being *hoping*

There's every chance that the milk won't come in/supply will be low/I will just be so driven demented by lack of sleep and cluster feeding that I'll have to stop for both mine and baby's sake. I think it's really important to prepare ourselves that with the best will in the world, it might not work out, and we can't beat ourselves up about it.

That said, I am going to give it 100% as I really do want to breastfeed for the first 6 months if I can. I think it's really important to arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible, e.g. not to offer the bottle in those early days until supply is established. It's only by discussing with others that we can be empowered to make decisions when exhausted after labour. I've seen somewhere that it should be in your birth plan that you intend to breastfeed and for staff not to offer the baby bottles while you recover. Obviously no-one can predict what way labour will go and no-one will allow baby to starve, but our preferences should be respected when possible.

There is no right or wrong or failure or 'screwing up' as you put it, once baby is fed that's the main thing in my view

I am 100% the same as you Cash_Q, I actually thought pretty much everyone who could tried it and it either worked out or didn't, I had no idea people found it weird!

I do realise now however that sometimes it just doesn't work out. My SIL had an awful time despite the best will in the world - she got mastitis three times and thrush - she never had a good milk supply either and was eventually advised to give it up as the child was clearly hungry. She was devastated but it wasn't to be. My mother breastfed all of us for at least nine months so I just automatically assumed I would be able to but now realise I better get the bottles in just in case because you never know.

The only thing is being self employed I will have to go back to work at around 3/4 months in, I work from home but have to go to meetings or events the odd time so I am thinking the full six months may be difficult if not impossible...might have to switch to combination feeding. Will just have to see how it goes.

Didn't someone recommend a book/chapter on breastfeeding here before? I booked in for the class in September too.

• Advertisement

What Cash_q said about preparing yourself is good advice. One thing I wished I had known about before I started was cluster feeding, and in particular Night Two. My baby wanted to be on the boob for literally 10 hours straight. I thought there was something wrong, and sat up all night worrying and crying. I had nobody in my family or group of friends who had breastfed, and everyone was telling me it wasn't normal and there's something wrong with him. Then, when the midwife arrived the next morning and I said, "Ah, night two! Sure they all do that!", I burst into floods of tears!

It's also important to be aware that in 95%+ of cases, where there's a breastfeeding problem, there's also a breastfeeding solution. Too often, women are told that they should just give up, despite not wanting to, because their supply is low or they have mastitis or baby's latch isn't good... when in reality, if they were just given the right help, it could have been sorted. It is only in a small percentage of cases where breastfeeding just is not possible. But we live in a society where even GPs and public health nurse often don't have much experience of breastfeeding, and don't know the solutions to the problems.

Plenty of online support too. There's a good breastfeeding support thread on boards.

Advertisement