Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

growth scan/clinic booked for 32 weeks. Very productive day

Are these growth scans standard? I'm due with GP at 29 weeks and midwife clinic at 32 weeks..

Also wondering how late can we get the whooping cough vaccine? Was thinking of getting it at my GP checkup next Friday, but if I have a reaction to it/dodgy arm for the whole weekend I'm a bit put off getting it..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Thanks for the tips on the monitors! some of them are mad money so I didnt know where to start.. I am due to go to the GP in 2 weeks and back in hospital in 4 weeks as thats what the consultant said.. No harm in going to the GP at 30 weeks for BP urine etc.. I didnt feel the best after that whopping cough vac kinda flu like symptoms for the weekend and sore arm.

I havent even thought of sheets or blankets yet I feel so under prepared equipment wise, I need to start packing my hospital bag this weekend I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Growth scan for me is because my first was born far smaller than expected and they suspect undiagnosed IGUR (restricted growth).

Yeah I think I’ll do GP tbh! Better safe than dory with my history with BP too.

Blankets wise I had one lovely heavy cellular blanket as a gift, one fleece blanket for the pram (January baby) and about 4 of the aldi light cellular blankets for at home. Got given a bucket load of knitted and crochet ones but unfortunately our lad is allergic too wool!

I’m hoping for an aldi event shortly, there seems to have been one in August last year. I want their Muslins and cellular blankets!

ETA: Sleep Sacks, AMAZING invention! Was delighted when my lad hit the minimum weight limit and he wore them right up to about 20 months or so. Brilliant things

ETA: Sleep Sacks, AMAZING invention! Was delighted when my lad hit the minimum weight limit and he wore them right up to about 20 months or so. Brilliant things

At what point can they wear them? I got a nice one in m&s but don't know when I can use it

Cash_Q wrote: »
    At what point can they wear them? I got a nice one in m&s but don't know when I can use it

Some of them have a minimum weight on the label. Afaik the two we had, one was 7lbs and the other was 8.5lbs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dunnes do a good size thick cellular blanket.Only in white, but I have two and they are great.Much better than the skimpy little mothercare ones.
    Sleeping bags have sizes on them, usually newborn or 0-6 months, then 6-18mths and 18-36 mths.They are a bloody brilliant invention especially in winter, if you have an active baby /toddler who kicks off blankets.Just do not use them if the baby is too small, as there is a danger they could slip down inside them.I usually don't use them til six months myself, but that's because I didn't bother buying newborn ones.
    Also buy a couple of them to have spares for the inevitable nappy leaks and random puking that happens with small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

We also have the angelcare monitor with the mat bit like greenttc we never used the mat but i find the monitor brill...still use it with our 19 month old amd he has pressed every button under the sun on it when he gets his hands on it and its still like new. With regards blankets we also got mountain loads of knitted ones etc that were never used with our first. I got the foot muff for the maxi cosi which i found great, there was never any hassle of tuckin blankets in etc so will be using that again and we had 2 cellular blankets at home. Saying that we didnt use them much either, our first was 9lb 10oz so he was in grobags after a couple of weeks. With regards crib sheets I'm gonna buy 3 new ones and during the day we have a baby bean bag...our first loved it so much he even slept in it some nights so gonna use that again. It comes with a removable cover for washing.
    Edited to say a good tip for the hospital is to bring a few pillowcases as sheets for the crib in there as they fit the matresses perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had my first GP appt last Friday and she said she thjnks baby is transverse, and I think she’s right. I have a hard lump in my left side that is likely the head. It is seriously uncomfortable. There’s time to turn, and I hope it does soon!

In good news I found out i’ve a load of holidays saved up I can take at the start of maternity leave :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

From about 5 weeks for both of mine. The ones I had stated a 9lb minimum weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Up half the night worrying my one year old has whooping cough (he's had all his vaccines but he's had a worsening cough the last two weeks and is struggling to breathe and making that whooping sound). So I'm gonna take him to the doc today, however I only had my vaccine six days ago, and he would've been contagious 2-3 weeks ago, so now I'm worrying about the baby.

Hopefully it's not it, but it does fit all the characteristics and the whoop is identical to the videos I've watched of it! This is all we need.

I'm also struggling to walk now as I now have a sharp pain in my bum which I'm assuming is sciatica, in addition to the SPD and back pain. Not sure how I'll even manage to hobble the 1.5km to the GP and back!

Oh no Catrionanic, that's a crap way to start the day! Best of luck with the doctor, hopefully it's not whooping cough :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Could be croup if its only at night caitriona.Croup sounds awful

shesty wrote: »
    Could be croup if its only at night caitriona.Croup sounds awful

It's during the day too but worse at night. Quite distressing to watch as it can last around a minute and he goes bright red and he stops breathing and makes those whooping noises as he's trying so hard to get a breath. He's had it about a fortnight now and it's getting worse so probably sensible to take him in.

I'm afraid I'm one of those, "sure he's grand, it'll pass soon" mammies. His dad suggested the doctors a few days ago so I'll feel bad if it is whooping cough!

I'm a bit that myself, but you know your own child and especially when you're pregnant, some things need extra attention.

I went from one extreme to another recently....two year old had a desperate nose for about 1.5 weeks, ended up in emergency doc to be told she had a chest infection....four year old ran a slight temp for a couple of days last week and wasn't eating much, so brought her to the doctor convinced she had a throat infection....not a thing wrong with her.

Sometimes you just can't win!!!

Its so hard to know at what point ya should go to the doc. For anyone on here with vhi, on the app theres a doctor. She'll video call you and check out the patient, and its free. One of the guys I work with used it 4 times last weekend with his kids. Found it great. Thank god we havent had to use it yet but worth keeping in mind.

On another note I only heard about "push presents" yesterday�� i feel i should take advantage of this����

• Advertisement

Thankfully not whooping cough! But he had a temperature and his chest sounded rattly so on antibiotics for chest infection. Phew! No pregnant woman needs whooping cough in her house! Now the challenge of getting the antibiotic into him 3 times daily for 7 days!

Would frickin love a push present! But not a chance with my husband haha. One thing I've really wanted for ages is some breast milk jewellery to mark my journey with my little lad. You can get charm bracelets with a different colour charm for each wee milestone reached which I think is lovely.

Although to be honest I'd settle for a cleaner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Thankfully not whooping cough! But he had a temperature and his chest sounded rattly so on antibiotics for chest infection. Phew! No pregnant woman needs whooping cough in her house! Now the challenge of getting the antibiotic into him 3 times daily for 7 days!

Would frickin love a push present! But not a chance with my husband haha. One thing I've really wanted for ages is some breast milk jewellery to mark my journey with my little lad. You can get charm bracelets with a different colour charm for each wee milestone reached which I think is lovely.

Although to be honest I'd settle for a cleaner!

Thank god its not whooping cough.

Oh how much would I love a cleaner!!!! Although my husband is very good at tidying up he is not a good cleaner, if that makes sense!!!

Much and all as a cleaner would be a lovely push present though I love something I can look at in a few years and know what it was for. Not sure a clean house would last!

That’s great it’s not whooping cough!

We have a fortnightly cleaner at the moment. It’s a godsend tbh.

How is my day going? Well I wanted pizza and garlic bread. Pregnancy+garlic bread+pizza means I ate the garlic bread and had no room left for pizza 🙈

Aah a cleaner would be lovely... oh but to dream... I'll be very happy with clean sheets the day I get home from hospital as my push present��

So glad its not whoopin cough. Please god the antibiotics will kick in soon

Aah a cleaner would be lovely... oh but to dream... I'll be very happy with clean sheets the day I get home from hospital as my push present😁

So glad its not whoopin cough. Please god the antibiotics will kick in soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Glad to hear of the negative GD tests! Hoping it isn't whooping cough for you Catriona!

Re sheets, those four I got on eBay for the Next 2 Me are perfect. Very cute with little grey stars on them. Bought three sheets in Guineys for the hospital, that's where everyone sent us! Question - do you need sheets for the pram?? So clueless.... :D

On another point, those OTT monitors, I remember reading an article about how sometimes technology was too much, maybe in Sunday Times or something, it was really good and pointed out pitfalls of monitors with breathing sensors etc. Must try find it.

Travelling twice in August so have gotten my fit to fly letters from the doc. I literally haven't been to see the GP once yet though! Should I make an appointment?

I also ordered those sheets clacla so glad to hear they're good! Yes, you need sheets for the pram bassinet too.

How come you've not been to the GP? Aren't you doing combined care? The GP checks your BP, urine and baby's heartbeat roughly halfway between each hospital/midwife appointment. I've been 2 or 3 times now.

I also ordered those sheets clacla so glad to hear they're good! Yes, you need sheets for the pram bassinet too.

How come you've not been to the GP? Aren't you doing combined care? The GP checks your BP, urine and baby's heartbeat roughly halfway between each hospital/midwife appointment. I've been 2 or 3 times now.

What is combined care? I am private so have been to consultant every four weeks - nurse checks urine and BP - and haven't been unwell or anything in meantime. I signed up for the mother and baby when I went for the pertussis vaccine but the nurse gave that. He actually did mention seeing her at the end or after 32 weeks or something. Suppose it's good I haven't had to go in! Total private mentality, avoiding GP at all costs

Ah AFAIK combined care is a public thing whereby your GP and hospital share your care. If you're private, you're likely paying to see your consultant instead!

Ah AFAIK combined care is a public thing whereby your GP and hospital share your care. If you're private, you're likely paying to see your consultant instead!

Oh ok! Yes I certainly am - €2600! I do love the regular scans though, and he just got a new scanner - the last one was unbelievably clear!

Did someone recommend a breastfeeding book? And what about those Breast Angel silver healing cups? Any experience of those? The reviews are beyond glowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I would recommend MultiMam compresses for the first week breastfeeding. They worked wonders.

I read on Facebook girls the Aldi baby event is starting again the 16th of August so hopefully thats true! That would be great timing for us to get a few bits.. Happy Friday I am totally wrecked by the end of the week, one more week then I booked the 1st week of Aug off as annual leave, dying for the break! Working full time and being pregnant is hard, fair play to those that do that and hav other kids at home!!!

Orange369 wrote: »
    I read on Facebook girls the Aldi baby event is starting again the 16th of August so hopefully thats true! That would be great timing for us to get a few bits.. Happy Friday I am totally wrecked by the end of the week, one more week then I booked the 1st week of Aug off as annual leave, dying for the break! Working full time and being pregnant is hard, fair play to those that do that and hav other kids at home!!!

Excellent! And that’s my lads last day at the child minder so i’ll Be out and about anyways! Moves to crèche/playschool this year

Yes the Breast Angel cups get great reviews but they are pricey. Someone suggested once to me that if you've a friend who is also planning to breastfeed, you could go halfers on them, assuming you're not due in the same month. You'll only need them at the start so could then pass them on.

But yes, I second the multi mam compresses recommendation. Cut them in half though as they're too big anyway, and that way you'll get twice as many per box. Lanolin cream also. Witch hazel kept in the fridge and smeared onto a maternity pad is amazing for your stitches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

I'm making use of the combined care and I'm private as well. My doctor wants me to see the gp in between visits and those are all free now which is wonderful. Been there loads now also for the flu and whooping cough vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Yes the Breast Angel cups get great reviews but they are pricey. Someone suggested once to me that if you've a friend who is also planning to breastfeed, you could go halfers on them, assuming you're not due in the same month. You'll only need them at the start so could then pass them on.

But yes, I second the multi mam compresses recommendation. Cut them in half though as they're too big anyway, and that way you'll get twice as many per box. Lanolin cream also. Witch hazel kept in the fridge and smeared onto a maternity pad is amazing for your stitches too.

I have heard so much about these silver cups! Going to give them a go, due in sept. Lansinoh lanolin was the game changer for me last time. I used the avent lanolin but not nearly as good. I also got the multimam this time. So much more prepared this time round!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

‘The womanly art of breastfeeding’ book is brilliant if you are thinking of breastfeeding. It’s only €1 on Amazon kindle at the mo and well worth it even at full price

Hello all, a bit late to the party here but better late than never! I’m 30 weeks on Monday, This is my second baby.
    I’m doing the domino scheme with holles street, anyone else considering a home birth?
    I’ll second the lanolin, it really worked for me last time I used 2 tubes in the first week! And maternity pads!

Welcome and congrats Weatherrocks!

I was born at home, my mams 3rd pregnancy....twins (To her surprise!), both breech, both en caul!

Not to put you off at all, but if she and we survived that, you'll fly it :)

I was born at home, my mams 3rd pregnancy....twins (To her surprise!), both breech, both en caul!

Jesus. Your poor ma!

Weatherrocks, I'm also having my second baby on the domino with holles street and I've had several midwives try to encourage me to have a home birth. Our house is way too small though for starters... and secondly, I want drugs lol.

I am in a high risk clinic cause of a health issue so wasn't allowed onto domino scheme (which I would have loved!) and certainly not allowed a home birth for me!

The gentle birth Facebook page always have lots of home birthers on it though and I think there is often offers of birthing pools from time to time so might be worth a look!

Might be a silly but I always thought about the damage that could potentially be done to my hardwood floors with water sloshing everywhere! That and the damage I may do to neighbours ears if my last experience is anything to go by! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NeeNeeAW

greenttc wrote: »
    I am in a high risk clinic cause of a health issue so wasn't allowed onto domino scheme (which I would have loved!) and certainly not allowed a home birth for me!

The gentle birth Facebook page always have lots of home birthers on it though and I think there is often offers of birthing pools from time to time so might be worth a look!

Might be a silly but I always thought about the damage that could potentially be done to my hardwood floors with water sloshing everywhere! That and the damage I may do to neighbours ears if my last experience is anything to go by! Ha!

Is there an Irish GB Facebook page I can’t find it! Would love to join I love the idea of it!

NeeNeeAW wrote: »
    Is there an Irish GB Facebook page I can’t find it! Would love to join I love the idea of it!

I didn't know there was one that isn't Irish! Presumed the gentle birth brand was Irish, its founder Tracey donergan is Irish anyway!

The Facebook page is useful sometimes, I don't think it is closed or private, you just like it I think! Two years since I joined.

I did the course too and found the info was good and having my husband learn was really good. However the actual gentle birth technique and tracks etc, they all went out the window the minute labour started

Actually, I just checked, it is a closed group but it comes up when you search for it. Gentle birth official.

• Advertisement

Never go to IKEA pregnant and on a Sunday!! The place was mental today, thank God for all the chairs around.. We got loads for the baby room, still need a cot as weren't too keen on the IKEA ones but Smyths seem to have a nice selection.. It isnt cheap preparing for the baby!!

I was in Ikea too today. Never again on a weekend!
    Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll look for the gentle birth fb page. I also listened to all the gentle birth cds last time and felt prepared but ye literally out the window when labour started. I was thinking a Home birth would keep me away from an epidural this time, as I’d like to avoid an episiotomy if poss!

How did your first labour go and was it with domino? If so, was it in a different birthing room in holles street?

Jesus. Your poor ma!

Weatherrocks, I'm also having my second baby on the domino with holles street and I've had several midwives try to encourage me to have a home birth. Our house is way too small though for starters... and secondly, I want drugs lol.

. I was thinking a Home birth would keep me away from an epidural this time, as I’d like to avoid an episiotomy if poss!

I would have thought a home birth is an extreme length to go to just to avoid those two; I like the idea of being at home in bed immediately after baby is born and having my own comforts and privacy, but personally I'd be too nervous to do it.

I also don't want the epidural and will be very vocal about it. I got the impression that the domino midwives don't encourage it at all. You can also specify that you don't want an episiotomy if possible, I'd also like to avoid one. I'm not allowed under the domino scheme as I've an underactive thyroid since before pregnancy but I got the impression they will intervene as little as possible. Speak to your midwife about the epidural and episiotomy and see what they say.

How did your first labour go and was it with domino? If so, was it in a different birthing room in holles street?

No my first was an induction in the normal delivery suite, but I hear the domino midwives have their own rooms.

Don't worry re: epi... domino midwives encourage as little intervention as possible. I was all for avoiding one last time too, but my labour was very fast, very intense, and very difficult to cope with. Thankfully i didnt need an episiotomy or instrumental delivery though. This time, being with domino, I'm more worried about having another very intense labour and them not letting me have the epi!

This may be a bit TMI, but does anybody know what we should do about bedsheets if we get home just a few hours after birth? I remember losing such a crazy amount of blood in the first 24-48 hours that I was lying on those plastic a5-sized pads, in addition to double maternity pads in my knickers. And the bed mattresses in holles st are plastic so they just strip the sheets for you and wipe it clean. I feel like there's no way any normal mattress covers could cope? And I couldn't cope with all the stripping of sheets and washing!

No my first was an induction in the normal delivery suite, but I hear the domino midwives have their own rooms.

Don't worry re: epi... domino midwives encourage as little intervention as possible. I was all for avoiding one last time too, but my labour was very fast, very intense, and very difficult to cope with. Thankfully i didnt need an episiotomy or instrumental delivery though. This time, being with domino, I'm more worried about having another very intense labour and them not letting me have the epi!

This may be a bit TMI, but does anybody know what we should do about bedsheets if we get home just a few hours after birth? I remember losing such a crazy amount of blood in the first 24-48 hours that I was lying on those plastic a5-sized pads, in addition to double maternity pads in my knickers. And the bed mattresses in holles st are plastic so they just strip the sheets for you and wipe it clean. I feel like there's no way any normal mattress covers could cope? And I couldn't cope with all the stripping of sheets and washing!

Just a waterproof mattress protector caitriona, we have left ours on our bed since last time just incase in the first few months wee man had any accidents on the bed, only happened once but was glad to have them! Otherwise it is going to be changing the top sheets etc I'm afraid, no getting away from that.

• Advertisement

Just for the record with episiotomy, I didn't want one the last time and of course don't want one this time (who would want one!) but I really feared it above anything else last time, ended up having to have one and ya know what l, its really not that bad at all. You are of course numbed so you don't feel a thing and afterwards it is a bit sore but not as bad as you would expect, I think everyone is a bit sensitive down there no matter what.

So don't be like me and fearing it and dreading the thoughts of it, it is not that bad on the grand scheme of things

Didn't have epidural last time but am in two minds this time. Would love it to take that pain away, it was awful but at the same time, would love to have a shower soon after. I think I'll be asking for it tbh

greenttc wrote: »
    Just for the record with episiotomy, I didn't want one the last time and of course don't want one this time (who would want one!) but I really feared it above anything else last time, ended up having to have one and ya know what l, its really not that bad at all. You are of course numbed so you don't feel a thing and afterwards it is a bit sore but not as bad as you would expect, I think everyone is a bit sensitive down there no matter what.

So don't be like me and fearing it and dreading the thoughts of it, it is not that bad on the grand scheme of things

Didn't have epidural last time but am in two minds this time. Would love it to take that pain away, it was awful but at the same time, would love to have a shower soon after. I think I'll be asking for it tbh

Same here. I didn’t know when they told me about the ventouse that I would automatically get an episiotomy but it worked out fine

I’m also the same on the epidural. Maaaaan I so wanted it but there wasn’t time. I think I’m equally worried about a fast labour as a really long one now lol. That shower in the labour room after delivery was just amazing though

I'm impressed you girls managed a shower straight after! They took 90 mins to stitch me up and I lost a lot of blood so I fainted when I eventually stood after the epi wore off a few hours later. Plus I was literally too exhausted to talk, let alone move. Couldn't string a sentence together! So wouldn't have managed a shower even without the epi.

I can honestly say that it changed labour from being the absolute worst experience of my life, to the very best. I was all for going it without drugs beforehand, but now that I've experienced the level of pain I was in... I want alllll of the drugs haha.

Although I do think that the Labour being so fast and intense was what made it unbearable. A more conventional labour, with a minute of two break in between contractions even up to the end, would definitely be more feasible unmedicated.

90 minutes!Christ Caitriona!Took 5/10 mins at the most on all of mine, probably only two mins on the last (the biggest one of all!).I did pass out in the shower on my first, underestimated the blood pressure drop after delivery, and then I had the water too hot.Knew better next time round.I was in the shower quite soon after birth though, best shower ever!

90 minutes 😱😱!! Mine was about 10 I think. Just enough time for daddy to do nappy and first outfit. My labour was seriously intense but short and I had no medication except gas and air which hadn’t worked so I was a bit shell shocked but mobility wasn’t a big issue. Having said that I didn’t go for the shower for about 20-30 minutes after stitching. They didn’t move us for well over an hour or maybe even two? I don’t think they expected us to be finished and it was during nurse shift change so we got some lovely quiet time together in the labour room

• Advertisement
Advertisement