Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Yeah I saw online there now that it's two classes. Was going to ask the midwife which two he should come to but our class was cancelled midway through as a poor lady fainted and had a seizure :( she is in the coombe now and I'm here myself waiting to see physio, met the midwife on my way in and she said that the lady is fine. Scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

So so nauseous the last week or so. Blerghhhhhhhh. And only got 3 hours broken sleep last night due to leg cramps/overhesting/toilet trips/worrying.

Although in a couple of months, three hours of broken sleep will be the new normal!

Anyone super thirsty lately? Dunno if this is normal or a sign of diabetes or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Yes. Thirsty, Grumpy, Tired, Big, Hungry but have Heartburn, chugging the Gaviscon.

Third Trimester hit with a bang last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I try and drink lots anyway, especially in this heat, hydration means less cramps, things moving more freely and then the downside, more trips to the toilet!

Think I am going to have to get to a physio this week, spd has me cripples these last few days, it has really and truly hit. Hope the same trick will clear it up as fast as last time!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you're in bits, green. SPD is horrid, even moreso when you have a one year old. It's not easy.

Had my 30 week check with midwife today. All was fine and baby is still head down and pretty low. She said not to worry about the thirst.

Re: Labour, she said one of the big difference between your first and second baby is the time it takes to get into active labour (ie. 2cm+ and contractions pretty close together). You're usually there almost as soon as the pains starts, as contractions are much more effective second time. Then the journey from 2-10cm in active labour is usually close to twice as fast as during your first labour.

I'm just stressed about getting my toddler minded. I was expecting a fast active labour, but had hoped I would have at least a couple of hours of contractions at home before I had to go to hospital. Instead, she said to head straight in as soon as pains start, rather than waiting at home until they're at least 4-5 mins apart like you would with a first time mum.

My family live 2.5 hours away. My sister is closer but at least an hour and 15 mins away if she's in work. So there's a good chance I'll just have to head in to hospital on my own and leave husband with toddler at home, or with the toddler in tow if hubbys in work and meet him there. Probably in a taxi. Ughhhhh.

What are other people's plans, to those who have kids already?

Its all starting to feel very real....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sorry to hear you're in bits, green. SPD is horrid, even moreso when you have a one year old. It's not easy.

Had my 30 week check with midwife today. All was fine and baby is still head down and pretty low. She said not to worry about the thirst.

Re: Labour, she said one of the big difference between your first and second baby is the time it takes to get into active labour (ie. 2cm+ and contractions pretty close together). You're usually there almost as soon as the pains starts, as contractions are much more effective second time. Then the journey from 2-10cm in active labour is usually close to twice as fast as during your first labour.

I'm just stressed about getting my toddler minded. I was expecting a fast active labour, but had hoped I would have at least a couple of hours of contractions at home before I had to go to hospital. Instead, she said to head straight in as soon as pains start, rather than waiting at home until they're at least 4-5 mins apart like you would with a first time mum.

My family live 2.5 hours away. My sister is closer but at least an hour and 15 mins away if she's in work. So there's a good chance I'll just have to head in to hospital on my own and leave husband with toddler at home, or with the toddler in tow if hubbys in work and meet him there. Probably in a taxi. Ughhhhh.

What are other people's plans, to those who have kids already?

Its all starting to feel very real....

We're having our parents in law meet us at the hospital. My labour was very short the last time (0-baby in arms in just over an hour) and the midwife has already told us to get in fast. Even at that there's a likelihood that my husband will be in the car/waiting room with my 3 year old unless I'm induced and timelines are known better. I'm more resigned at this stage to that, it was freaking me out when I first got pregnant

We're having our parents in law meet us at the hospital. My labour was very short the last time (0-baby in arms in just over an hour) and the midwife has already told us to get in fast. Even at that there's a likelihood that my husband will be in the car/waiting room with my 3 year old unless I'm induced and timelines are known better. I'm more resigned at this stage to that, it was freaking me out when I first got pregnant

Do you have a plan for if your husband is in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

I’m due in sept and I’ve asked to be induced. I was induced last time due to having gd and my labour was 1hr 47 min. The doctor is very willing to induce me again this time again so I’m being brought in at 39 weeks this time

Luckily he works from home and my son will be moving into the creche/preschool thats literally in our estate!
    Molly1983 wrote: »
    I’m due in sept and I’ve asked to be induced. I was induced last time due to having gd and my labour was 1hr 47 min. The doctor is very willing to induce me again this time again so I’m being brought in at 39 weeks this time

Molly do you mind me asking is this your second? And where are you attending? I hadn't considered asking because I assumed they wouldn't let me since its only my second, there's no medical reason currently (last time it was BP) and not guaranteed to be fast again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

Luckily he works from home and my son will be moving into the creche/preschool thats literally in our estate!

Molly do you mind me asking is this your second? And where are you attending? I hadn't considered asking because I assumed they wouldn't let me since its only my second, there's no medical reason currently (last time it was BP) and not guaranteed to be fast again

Yeah it’s my 2nd. I’m attending the rotunda. I asked as I said I was very anxious about giving birth at home etc and the doctor agreed straight away. She said that it would probably be just as quick or even quicker this time.

Molly1983 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s my 2nd. I’m attending the rotunda. I asked as I said I was very anxious about giving birth at home etc and the doctor agreed straight away. She said that it would probably be just as quick or even quicker this time.

Ok im definitely asking, thank you so much for sharing. It would literally be a load off my mind as I’ve started dreaming about giving birth unepectedly at home or in the car or at work and as it was pretty terrifying the first time around-they are not pleasant dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Just had an antenatal class this morning.. It was all about when things dont go according to plan! C section rate in May was 37%, ventouse was 16% and forceps was 11%.. all added together thats an awful lot of 1st time mams dont have a straight forward birth!! Not including induction too.. Everyone looked a little terrified after today's class anyway

Orange369 wrote: »
    Just had an antenatal class this morning.. It was all about when things dont go according to plan! C section rate in May was 37%, ventouse was 16% and forceps was 11%.. all added together thats an awful lot of 1st time mams dont have a straight forward birth!! Not including induction too.. Everyone looked a little terrified after today's class anyway

Better to be mentally prepared for anything, certainly doesn't mean any of them will happen to you but imagine hearing about it for the first time in the delivery room? Despite all of them being a possibility, you might have a preference for a natural complication free birth but if you had to have any of the things you mentioned I honestly think they sound way way scarier than they actually are so don't worry about any of them, you will get through the birth no matter what and you will forget it all for the most part!

greenttc wrote: »

Better to be mentally prepared for anything, certainly doesn't mean any of them will happen to you but imagine hearing about it for the first time in the delivery room? Despite all of them being a possibility, you might have a preference for a natural complication free birth but if you had to have any of the things you mentioned I honestly think they sound way way scarier than they actually are so don't worry about any of them, you will get through the birth no matter what and you will forget it all for the most part!

Yeah thats excatly what the lady said doing the class its better to know what to expect in case things go wrong etc so I definitely found it useless for me and the other half! I am all for pain relief LOL I will definitely be taking what I need

Wow that is very high indeed! Are those stats just for first time mums, or does it include all the mums who are having sections due to a previous section?

Which hospital is it? They can vary hugely. I remember reading a comparison of the rates of sections in maternity hospitals across the country, and they varied a lot.

Wow that is very high indeed! Are those stats just for first time mums, or does it include all the mums who are having sections due to a previous section?

Which hospital is it? They can vary hugely. I remember reading a comparison of the rates of sections in maternity hospitals across the country, and they varied a lot.

I think thats for 1st time Mams.. That is with the Coombe! There was an Italian couple there and they were shocked about forceps being used as apparently its banned in Italy

This is pretty interesting. Its from 2011 so things may be a bit different now:

http://aimsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/csectionrates2011.png

http://aimsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dublin.png

So in Dublin, holles st is the best for sections, the coombe for episitomies, and the rotunda for breastfeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

This is pretty interesting. Its from 2011 so things may be a bit different now:

http://aimsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/csectionrates2011.png

http://aimsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dublin.png

So in Dublin, holles st is the best for sections, the coombe for episitomies, and the rotunda for breastfeeding!

The Cuidiu study, published around June, had all the most recent data, google Bump2Baby and you can see rates and comparisons across the country. My hospital has the highest rate of inductions! My consultant said not to blame him, he believes in everything happening naturally, but he did note the rate of C-section in first time mother is 11% and after an induction it rises to 33%.

clacla82 wrote: »
    The Cuidiu study, published around June, had all the most recent data, google Bump2Baby and you can see rates and comparisons across the country. My hospital has the highest rate of inductions! My consultant said not to blame him, he believes in everything happening naturally, but he did note the rate of C-section in first time mother is 11% and after an induction it rises to 33%.

Oh wow, that's a brilliant resource! Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone I was just in with my consultant earlier. I’ve been measuring slightly behind all along but he’s been dismissing it but today I’m measuring two and a bit weeks behind. He just said it’s not the smallest baby but not the biggest baby - it should be 3.3lb and is about 3lb. He’s going to start bringing me in every week to keep an eye on me. I actually cried for about an hour afterwards, usually I skip out absolutely made up clutching my little scan picture. He said he’s just being overly cautious but I feel sick with worry. I won’t be sleep a wink til next Friday.
    Has anyone had any experience with this?

clacla82 wrote:
    Hi everyone I was just in with my consultant earlier. I’ve been measuring slightly behind all along but he’s been dismissing it but today I’m measuring two and a bit weeks behind. He just said it’s not the smallest baby but not the biggest baby - it should be 3.3lb and is about 3lb. He’s going to start bringing me in every week to keep an eye on me. I actually cried for about an hour afterwards, usually I skip out absolutely made up clutching my little scan picture. He said he’s just being overly cautious but I feel sick with worry. I won’t be sleep a wink til next Friday. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Oh you poor thing you must be so worried and upset. I don't have experience of similar but I do keep hearing how wrong these measurements can be. Lots of people told their baby will be big/small and is quite the opposite when born. It is great that they're monitoring things so closely from now on, you will get to see your baby every week, and hopefully all continues to be healthy and well x

Hi everyone I was just in with my consultant earlier. I’ve been measuring slightly behind all along but he’s been dismissing it but today I’m measuring two and a bit weeks behind. He just said it’s not the smallest baby but not the biggest baby - it should be 3.3lb and is about 3lb. He’s going to start bringing me in every week to keep an eye on me. I actually cried for about an hour afterwards, usually I skip out absolutely made up clutching my little scan picture. He said he’s just being overly cautious but I feel sick with worry. I won’t be sleep a wink til next Friday.

Did he talk about centiles? I was under the 10th on some measurements by 28 weeks last time and had extra growth scans as a result. My lad was born 6lbs 3 at full term and was perfect. However they have speculated this time that he didn’t actually grow much from his 37 week scan which had him at 7lbs. He should have been over 8lbs in that case, the scans get more inaccurate in third trimester.

How far are you now? Don’t panic. IUGR (if it gets diagnosed) just means there may be a point where baby will need to come out if the placenta isn’t working well.

They’ll watch you closely which is a good thing!

I’m in for a growth scan (based on my first boy) at 32 weeks. Will be interested to see if all is well. It was at the anatomy scan but it had been last time too. It was a scan for a bleed that caught that he was small

Orange369 wrote:

Orange369 do you mind me asking if you know what will be covered in which class, or what you've already done?
    E.g. week 1 was an intro to what to bring to hospital, recognising signs of labour.
    Week 2..
    Week 3.. etc if you have had that many or been told as much?

Trying to figure out which two my husband should come to, and didn't get to ask the midwife who was running my class as was cancelled midway through as a poor lady fainted and had a seizure

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Orange369 wrote:

Orange369 do you mind me asking if you know what will be covered in which class, or what you've already done?
    E.g. week 1 was an intro to what to bring to hospital, recognising signs of labour.
    Week 2..
    Week 3.. etc if you have had that many or been told as much?

Trying to figure out which two my husband should come to, and didn't get to ask the midwife who was running my class as was cancelled midway through as a poor lady fainted and had a seizure

Yeah no problem at all, I got a little booklet patient information and it has been spot on so far with whats covered.. Class 1 was pregnancy so far, recognition of labour, rupturing of membranes, coping at home in early labour and when to go to hospital, what to bring with you

Class 2 Labour and birth, natural and medical methods of pain relief, epidural, water birth stages of birth and what to expect

Class 3 when things dont go according to plan, induction of labour, complications, forceps ventouse and c section births, neonatal intensive care and special baby care unit (I would 100% recommend this for partners as it is all brand new info my partner knew nothing about any of this)

Class 4 breastfeeding workshop - midwife said to go along regardless of how u plan on feeding baby

Class 5 - life after birth postnatal mother and baby check, baby blood tests, discharge home, community midwife, basic baby care and safety at home, role of public health nurse.. changing relationship sex and contraception.. coping with tiredness and depression, where to get support and back to work ( also think thing would be very useful for partners)

Oh no :( try not to worry, I was measuring a few days behind the whole way and then 2 weeks ago started measuring ahead, I have heard that the measurements aren't very accurate. My sister in law baby stopped growing and they just brought her in early instead.. At least you will get to see baby weekly hopefully the next week goes fast for you

Orange369 you're star thanks so much, that's perfect!

Did he talk about centiles? I was under the 10th on some measurements by 28 weeks last time and had extra growth scans as a result. My lad was born 6lbs 3 at full term and was perfect. However they have speculated this time that he didn’t actually grow much from his 37 week scan which had him at 7lbs. He should have been over 8lbs in that case, the scans get more inaccurate in third trimester.

How far are you now? Don’t panic. IUGR (if it gets diagnosed) just means there may be a point where baby will need to come out if the placenta isn’t working well.

They’ll watch you closely which is a good thing!

I’m in for a growth scan (based on my first boy) at 32 weeks. Will be interested to see if all is well. It was at the anatomy scan but it had been last time too. It was a scan for a bleed that caught that he was small
    I am 31 weeks. Never mentioned percentiles but I could see that the estimated GA was 28+6 and I should be 31+2. I was five days behind at 22 weeks. He said everything else is fine, amniotic fluid level, blood flow through placenta etc. Said it’s the lowest level of concern if he was really worried he’d be bringing me in twice a week and if he was seriously worried I’d be admitted so he said I’m not to worry too much. He’s known for being overly cautious so that is probably just it. He said it’s probably just a small baby as I am small but then mentioned risk of pre eclampsia and genetic disorders... I literally feel like someone is standing on my chest with the anxiety.

I am 31 weeks. Never mentioned percentiles but I could see that the estimated GA was 28+6 and I should be 31+2. I was five days behind at 22 weeks. He said everything else is fine, amniotic fluid level, blood flow through placenta etc. Said it’s the lowest level of concern if he was really worried he’d be bringing me in twice a week and if he was seriously worried I’d be admitted so he said I’m not to worry too much. He’s known for being overly cautious so that is probably just it. He said it’s probably just a small baby as I am small but then mentioned risk of pre eclampsia and genetic disorders... I literally feel like someone is standing on my chest with the anxiety.

Ok big deep breaths, this is monitoring, not a diagnosis so try not to panic. Thats a good thing for baby and you though not necessarily helpful for anxiety! This does sound like me, zero other indicators and like you I nearly had a heart attack but we went to full term and had no issues, just a smaller size perfect baby

Thats about 10 days behind. There's a reason that the 12 week scan is for dating, the margin of error is much higher in third trimester, as far as I remember scans can be out by as much as 15%!

Chin up. The doc will watch you closely and thats exactly what you want. Once I had calmed down a bit it was lovely to get the extra scans to see baby. You can do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

I’ve been measuring about two weeks behind the whole way. When I was in for my gp visit she called the hospital to organise a scan for me to make sure everything was ok. Had my growth scan and baby was measuring right on track at the 50% mark. I know it’s easy for me to say not to panic but trust me you will feel so much better when you get to see your baby at the scans! I find though I still slightly worry because people keep pointing out how small my bump is. It’s not easy is it? It’s great that they’re keeping an eye on you though and you get to see baby every week :)

Ok big deep breaths, this is monitoring, not a diagnosis so try not to panic. Thats a good thing for baby and you though not necessarily helpful for anxiety! This does sound like me, zero other indicators and like you I nearly had a heart attack but we went to full term and had no issues, just a smaller size perfect baby

Thats about 10 days behind. There's a reason that the 12 week scan is for dating, the margin of error is much higher in third trimester, as far as I remember scans can be out by as much as 15%!

Chin up. The doc will watch you closely and thats exactly what you want. Once I had calmed down a bit it was lovely to get the extra scans to see baby. You can do this!

Thanks everyone. @Mirrorwall14 I actually had 6/9/12 week scans so my dates ranged from October 9-11. When it was five days behind at 22 weeks he didn't bat an eyelid and like you said he just said the earlier scans are far more accurate. It's just been getting further behind. I have put on lots of weight and my diet is great, a few treats and lot of good food. Haven't been sick. I just don't understand it.

It does sound like you alright, no other main issues of concern and yes I think I had that heart attack today...it's awful isn't it. Can't imagine being told something was seriously wrong. What weight was your baby in the end?

I was 6lb 6oz when I was born so that's apparently one of the biggest reasons, small maternal birthweight.

I am private so maybe he is just trying to prove his money's worth!

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. At 31 weeks, the measurements aren't accurate. You'll hear countless stories of estimates being way off. I had a scan at 40 weeks and told to expect a 9lb baby. He was born a week later at 7,11. And all the way through the third trimester, my bump was measuring 3-4 weeks smaller too.

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. At 31 weeks, the measurements aren't accurate. You'll hear countless stories of estimates being way off. I had a scan at 40 weeks and told to expect a 9lb baby. He was born a week later at 7,11. And all the way through the third trimester, my bump was measuring 3-4 weeks smaller too.

Thanks. You are totally right. My mum's friend was told her baby would be 7'5, and it ended up being 9'5. They are only estimates. And 3 weeks ago the baby was measuring 1.1kg compared with average of 1.2kg, a little bit below average but nothing concerning, so they could have a spurt in next week.

Anyone else taking iron? How long did it take to feel the benefits? My GP put me on Active Iron last week but no feeling any improvement yet.

My thyroid meds have also been adjusted which I know can take a few weeks to feel any change but even still, I'm so sick of being this tired. All I do is lie around the house. Any short trip out to shops etc leaves me shattered for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Anyone else taking iron? How long did it take to feel the benefits? My GP put me on Active Iron last week but no feeling any improvement yet.

My thyroid meds have also been adjusted which I know can take a few weeks to feel any change but even still, I'm so sick of being this tired. All I do is lie around the house. Any short trip out to shops etc leaves me shattered for the rest of the day.

Popping over from September thread, I’m on iron (floradix) and it took a few weeks of being consistent to feel the benefits. I do feel much better now though and my levels are good. Hope you start feeling better soon!

• Advertisement

I'm on iron the last 4 weeks or so. Was on it for a lot of my last pregnancy too, but levels were still on the low side.

I'm still tired all the time too - I think it's just the third trimester which does that to you regardless! However I've been staying up late (!) til 10 or 11pm this week, whereas I've been in bed between 8 and 9 the entire pregnancy apart from this week, so may be that's a sign of the iron kicking in.

I remember a midwife telling me once that pary of the big deal about iron is how it affects how you feel after the birth. Everyone loses blood, some more than others, and labour is a huge physical effort, and you'll have some recovery to do. With a newborn who is feeding every two hours too. So if you can get your iron levels to a good level, you can cope with the drop you get after the blood loss in childbirth much better than if your levels weren't great to begin with.

I'm gonna try to get mine up to the higher end of normal in time for delivery.

Cameoette wrote:
    Popping over from September thread, I’m on iron (floradix) and it took a few weeks of being consistent to feel the benefits. I do feel much better now though and my levels are good. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Ok thanks a mill, hopefully soon!

I'm still tired all the time too - I think it's just the third trimester which does that to you regardless! However I've been staying up late (!) til 10 or 11pm this week, whereas I've been in bed between 8 and 9 the entire pregnancy apart from this week, so may be that's a sign of the iron kicking in.

I usually sleep about 6 hours at night, then have breakfast and sleep another 3/4 hours...not normal. Then I'm wrecked all day long. Been this way for the entire pregnancy so not just a 3rd trimester thing. I do have thyroid problems too but hoping I will get a bit of energy from the new thyroid meds and the iron before I'm back to work in September. Everyone keeps telling me to just get signed off, and I will if I really have to, but it's the last thing I want. The next 9/11 weeks will be long enough, I'm hoping being busy at work will be a good distraction!

Oh I hear ya! All pregnancy I've slept 9-7, often 9-9 if I can get someone else to get up with my toddler! And then i am tired all day long. It is exhausting.

The point I was trying to make though is that even if you do get your thyroid and iron levels to a good level, youll still not be feeling refreshed and ready for the day even with 8 hours sleep. Hopefully youll feel a bit better, but you'll still need plenty of sleep and feel tired often. Your body is doing an awful lot, and you will feel very tired as a result of that.

The point I was trying to make though is that even if you do get your thyroid and iron levels to a good level, youll still not be feeling refreshed and ready for the day even with 8 hours sleep. Hopefully youll feel a bit better, but you'll still need plenty of sleep and feel tired often. Your body is doing an awful lot, and you will feel very tired as a result of that.

:________(

• Advertisement

Anyone taking ranitidine and if so what dosage? I had it prescribed last pregnancy but can't remember how strong. I'm up north and have bought some over the counter to take as the heartburn has just arrived today and it's brutal. I have 75mg but hesitant to take it in case it's too strong.

Anyone taking ranitidine and if so what dosage? I had it prescribed last pregnancy but can't remember how strong. I'm up north and have bought some over the counter to take as the heartburn has just arrived today and it's brutal. I have 75mg but hesitant to take it in case it's too strong.

Mine are 150mg, one a day

Mine are 150 once or twice a day depending on how I am

Trying to sort the next few weeks in my head. Normally we’d be settling my three year old back into the child minder at this stage working our way back up to 5 days a week (starts the 26th August).

Because he’s moving to a crèche we had organised settling in for Wednesday 23rd (1hr), 24th (2hrs) and 25th (4hrs) and then he’s full time from the Monday 26th as I’m back at school. He then starts playschool within the crèche the following week as well

But I’m nervous about the timeline. He’s shy and not a huge fan of new experiences, it takes him some time. We would have done a longer settling back in period even to his childminder. He doesn’t know anyone in the crèche. I’m a bit worried that my first week back at school I’m going to be coming up on 34 weeks and could be dealing with a seriously disrupted child as well that week and the following week when playschool starts too. Then we’re only weeks off the new baby arriving and more disruption.

By this stage on my first I’d already been signed off work but I’d really like to stay as long as possible this time. I’m just not sure if we’re pushing the timeline too much. Should I ring the crèche and see if they could do settling this week instead (I believe the space is open already), do near full time next week (I can collect early etc as I’m still off) or leave it as is and just hope for the best?

Mirrowall14 if there is a space in the creche this week then why not try out the settling in earlier than planned? If it puts your mind at ease in any way, it's worth it. If it's not a possibility, then just go with the flow and take each day as it comes. Obviously you know your son best and you know that all these changes to his routine will affect him, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. He is a year older than he was this time last year, and starting playschool may be just the challenge he is ready for. Being around the other children may bring out a bit more maturity in him too. Having worked in early years I can tell you that it is extremely rare for any child to remain upset for long after their parents leave, even in the first few days. The staff are experienced and professional, and will be prepared for nervous kids in the first few days. Even though it seems like the transition to new baby is very close to when he will have just adapted to the new setting for playschool, 4-5 weeks is a very long time in the life of a small child. He will be immersed in his new playschool routine and they will celebrate the new baby's arrival and make such a fuss of him, that he will marry the two events together nicely.

Do contact the creche though and ask about extending the settling in period, all they can do it say no, and at least you'll know you've tried alternatives.

Mirrowall14 if there is a space in the creche this week then why not try out the settling in earlier than planned? If it puts your mind at ease in any way, it's worth it. If it's not a possibility, then just go with the flow and take each day as it comes. Obviously you know your son best and you know that all these changes to his routine will affect him, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. He is a year older than he was this time last year, and starting playschool may be just the challenge he is ready for. Being around the other children may bring out a bit more maturity in him too. Having worked in early years I can tell you that it is extremely rare for any child to remain upset for long after their parents leave, even in the first few days. The staff are experienced and professional, and will be prepared for nervous kids in the first few days. Even though it seems like the transition to new baby is very close to when he will have just adapted to the new setting for playschool, 4-5 weeks is a very long time in the life of a small child. He will be immersed in his new playschool routine and they will celebrate the new baby's arrival and make such a fuss of him, that he will marry the two events together nicely.

Do contact the creche though and ask about extending the settling in period, all they can do it say no, and at least you'll know you've tried alternatives.

That’s the plan I think. I’m going to pop them a message now after talking to the other half (who hadn’t quite realised that it’s the 13th lol!). He’s done Montessori playschool five days since last April, it’s just the setting that is changing (and losing his best friend). You are right I’d say, he should be ok once we’re out of the way I hope

Awww he will be great, and I'm sure he'll make a new best friend quickly, sounds like he has lots of support from you anyway and once you're confident and happy when dropping him off he will more than likely feel the same way :)

We are starting our wee man in a creche in the next few weeks too mirror wall so I understand your fear! Our lad is just 18 months though and and it is only half days he will be doing so it will be a bit different. I am super nervous for him, handing over my most precious "thing" to a total stranger!!! We gotta let go though!

Currently selling our house, but not found anywhere to go yet. Resolved to the fact that we may well need to go into temporary rented accommodation for a little while.

Buyers are putting huge pressure on us to complete just two weeks before due date. Even if this is possible with the solicitors and bank (and it would be very tight), it would mean packing and moving to an unknown rental while about to pop, and a lot of stress. Similarly, I do not want to be trying to find rented accommodation and moving house with a brand new baby and toddler while still putting lasinoh on my nipples and witch hazel on my stitches! We need at least six weeks after baby arrives realistically, and even that will be very stressful.

Feeling stressed with it all to be honest.

Omg catrionanic that sounds like the most stressful thing ever :( we moved house in April and it was a nightmare, and that's as first time buyers with no chain, and no pressure to leave where we were. Is there any way you can ask them to wait? Once they've signed contracts they're bound to to the purchase anyway, why should you be the ones to go into temporary rented accommodation? Why can't they do so while they wait for you and your family to be ready? I know you don't want to risk them pulling out but if you can agree a later date and get them locked into contracts it will help to remove the stress big time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement