Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Caitrionanic that's horrendous!We were going to sell/buy in Jan, and I was due very early May, the thought of it gave me the horrors.Thankfully the sale fell through (never thought I'd say that).I was actually relieved.I hope you get sorted, maybe things will pick up in September Mirrorwall, surprisingly the routine of the playschool can help them, it keeps a constant in the upheaval of a new arrival.Definitely ring about a longer settling-in period though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks girls. They want to move because their rental lease is up. But I figure that my childbirth excuse trumps their rental excuse! It'll only mean us having to find new rental as opposed to them staying another 2 months in their own.

We are just gonna stand firm. If they pull out then so be it. It sold easily enough for us so we will get a buyer again. And they'll be in rental for a lot longer than two extra months if they've to start all over again too.

Such stress though. We've not even found somewhere to buy yet, so there's all that stress to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

I also think you should try him this week mirrorwall and see how it goes. He may surprise you. I was also contemplating sending my DS to creche for a few days but I have since decided against it as I thought once he starts playschool next year thats him gone on me😭

Catrionanic youve so much going on ya poor thing but it will all be worth it. We were building our house with our 1st child, was so busy at the time but nothing unmanageable. Take one day at a time.

For all you 2nd time moms out there I feel like I'm forgetting stuff this time, has anyone a list of wat we need. Went shopping at the weekend and got the following:
    New mattress for crib
    Crib sheets
    Adapters for buggy
    Babygrows and vests
    Towels
    Blankets
    Wipes
    Nappies
    Pillowcases for the hospital crib
    Bottles/dodeys

I have the baby bath, monitor,steriliser,changing table and the car seat ready.

Still feel like I'm forgetting something.

Were into single digits ladies....exciting times 😀

Edited to say aldi baby event is on this Thursday and I'll be stocking up on their muslin squares as I found them brill last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thanks girls. They want to move because their rental lease is up. But I figure that my childbirth excuse trumps their rental excuse! It'll only mean us having to find new rental as opposed to them staying another 2 months in their own.

We are just gonna stand firm. If they pull out then so be it. It sold easily enough for us so we will get a buyer again. And they'll be in rental for a lot longer than two extra months if they've to start all over again too.

Absolutely your imminent childbirth trumps their extended rental, stand firm. It's a sellers market, and if they pull out you may even get more money for if as prices have risen. Remind them of the fact they're getting it for a price that probably would have gone up by now if still on the market. Much easier for them to stay put for two months than for you to 1) find somewhere 2) move your whole house temporarily 3) find somewhere to buy and move your whole house again. Feck them, you have the power here and if it costs you the sale so be it.

Thanks for that Cash_q, always great to have someone agree with conviction! Thankfully my husband is dealing with all the emails back and forth so I don't have that stress either.

Audi, I think you sound like you're covered! Ultimately all we need is a place for baby to sleep, a way of feeding the baby, somewhere safe to set them down when we aren't able to hold them, and a way of getting out and about with baby- pram and car seat. Anything else is just extra convenience. I don't have half the stuff you have as my house is too small. We have minimalist babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have a list from my first if anyone wants to PM their email I’ll send it on!

£5 carrier bargain arrived from amazon. Mental price!!

I have a list from my first if anyone wants to PM their email I’ll send it on!

£5 carrier bargain arrived from amazon. Mental price!!

What's it like, mw? I've ordered one too. We have an ergobaby which is great, but I find it very hard to put on myself - ideally I need someone to help clip it on at the back. Is this any easier?

I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot of sling-boobing on this baby, with my one year old to run around after!

What's it like, mw? I've ordered one too. We have an ergobaby which is great, but I find it very hard to put on myself - ideally I need someone to help clip it on at the back. Is this any easier?

I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot of sling-boobing on this baby, with my one year old to run around after!

I have a beco Gemini from my first and its difficult to put on. This is similar but I speculate might be easier just in terms of bulk and strap lengths!

Super productive few days. Creche will start Monday with a full day by Friday (before I go back). We won a battle with our employer over them insisting we send in the whole MB1/2/3 to them even though 1/3 are not applicable. GDPR query has resulted in a new procedure (the one pretty much every other employer has been doing) after a month arguing with us. Finally got a carpenter for the stairs and our bedroom floor. They are booked in for two days in two weeks time to get the work done. We've finally the new baskets ordered for our larder press, just need to sort a door now.

Feel like we're finally getting thing together

• Advertisement

Super stuff Mirrorwall14! Must be something in the air, I finally have some energy this week for the first time since...the May mid term break lol!

Had a lovely day out with hubby yesterday and today did a speed clean of the house. Have people coming to measure for new blinds any minute now, bricklayer coming on Thursday to sort out some exterior walls and planning to upgrade the washing machine at the weekend. Having all the baby gear sorted means we can get back to sorting out the house :p

P.s. delighted they have space for your son a bit earlier :)

Brilliant work Cash_Q. Yeah I'm relieved about that tbh, at least I'll know he'll have had a full day by Friday.

Its mad, I got the baby stuff done largely myself and have been really frustrated with the house stuff but when we are both on the same page (broken banister does tend to light a fire!) things seem to get done in a hurry which is great!

Its mad, I got the baby stuff done largely myself and have been really frustrated with the house stuff but when we are both on the same page (broken banister does tend to light a fire!) things seem to get done in a hurry which is great!

Oh my husband sees nothing wrong with anything around the house! He's happy to overload the dodgt 5kg washing machine when we can get an 8kg one for under 300euro, our front pillar is literally falling down as is a shed out the back, want them knocked down and the back garden walls built up higher, he would leave all that for 10 years without noticing. His only concern or interest is stuff like the telly and electronic stuff. In fairness he bought a cordless vacuum cleaner a few months ago, I went to use it today and I didn't know where to start, so that shows how long it's been since I hoovered :P

All the baby gear I sorted and I wouldn't have it any other way to be fair, he picked a pair of little booties in Dunnes which are cute and we picked the travel system together but realistically he would have just went with whatever I wanted.

Ha he's gas!! My problem is we agree x and y needs to be done. We make a list. We plan it or price it. Then NOTHING happens or I have to keep being the one who brings it up. Then we inevitably get annoyed with each other.... And I'm a bit grumpy this pregnancy, normally we amble along nicely.

Yeah I do most of the baby stuff though he'll listen when I'm bouncing stuff off him and sometimes will insist on something like a new next 2 me crib mattress when I was hemming and hawing a bit

There must be something in the air as I was also productive today! Went into town to get birthday presents and stuff for hospital bag. It is now pretty much packed.

Sorted and washed lots of newborn clothes, and vacuum packed toddlers clothes to make more space.

Then headed out for a 4D scan. It was our second attempt, and both times baby has been curled up in a ball with his face in his lap and we were unable to see much at all! Gonna have one more go in a couple of weeks, but if it's the same story then that's €150 down the drain!

More house stress today- buyers have asked us to pay their rent for 2.5 months until we move out. Nearly took the house off the market just to spite them after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Heya girls...bit upset this evening just wondering if you think I am being over dramatic about this!! But my bf wants to go to Scotland to see a Celtic match on the 28th of September for the weekend Fri til Sun.. I am due on the 17th of Oct.. first baby so very anxious about it all anyway never mind the fact he will be away a whole weekend.. i know most women go overdue on their first but I just dont like the idea of him going away so close to the baby:( what you reckon am I being too sensitive about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Orange369 wrote: »
    Heya girls...bit upset this evening just wondering if you think I am being over dramatic about this!! But my bf wants to go to Scotland to see a Celtic match on the 28th of September for the weekend Fri til Sun.. I am due on the 17th of Oct.. first baby so very anxious about it all anyway never mind the fact he will be away a whole weekend.. i know most women go overdue on their first but I just dont like the idea of him going away so close to the baby:( what you reckon am I being too sensitive about it?

Ok I am all over this! I am going to say a big fat NO. Like it is just too close, you will be so uncomfortable and everything by then, not least the every real chance baby makes an early arrival.

My husband's family are having a party on Sept 21 with me due Oct 11 and he was like GREAT and I was like...ehhh not you buddy. He can have one or two but then I am driving home. I just wouldn't relax I don't think.

I am sure it would be fine...but it's a chance I wouldn't want to take.

In other news, I have had the worst week ever with pure anxiety over what the doc said about the baby being small last Friday. It feels like someone is standing on my chest every time I think about it and I am bursting into tears at random times. I can't wait til the appt Friday in one way, and in another way I am dreading it in case it gets more serious.

From what I have looked up, the baby was in the 30th percentile 3 weeks ago and fell back to 5th percentile last Friday. Just hoping baby had a slow week and is packing on the ounces this week. I am eating two eggs every morning and lots of milk and fish (I know that probably has v little to do with it, my diet would be really good anyway) and just praying he is happy Friday. From my research I don't seem to fit any of the categories for IUGR and he did say the fluid, placenta blood flow etc looked good, plus baby keeps kicking and moving like MAD so I am really really trying to relax.

I have flown through this pregnancy and if there was something wrong with me I could cope but hearing the baby might not be doing ok is just killing me.

More house stress today- buyers have asked us to pay their rent for 2.5 months until we move out. Nearly took the house off the market just to spite them after that!

That's outrageous! What is your response? Surely they don't have a leg to stand on? How unsympathetic can they get, you are heavily fuppin pregnant, you're not stalling for the fun of it. This type of sh1t makes me so mad! Our house purchase was to be delayed by 5 months and we just sucked it up and didn't fight it, in the end they left on time, and I think a lot of that was because we didn't react at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

clacla82 wrote: »
    In other news, I have had the worst week ever with pure anxiety over what the doc said about the baby being small last Friday. It feels like someone is standing on my chest every time I think about it and I am bursting into tears at random times. I can't wait til the appt Friday in one way, and in another way I am dreading it in case it gets more serious.

From what I have looked up, the baby was in the 30th percentile 3 weeks ago and fell back to 5th percentile last Friday. Just hoping baby had a slow week and is packing on the ounces this week. I am eating two eggs every morning and lots of milk and fish (I know that probably has v little to do with it, my diet would be really good anyway) and just praying he is happy Friday. From my research I don't seem to fit any of the categories for IUGR and he did say the fluid, placenta blood flow etc looked good, plus baby keeps kicking and moving like MAD so I am really really trying to relax.

I have flown through this pregnancy and if there was something wrong with me I could cope but hearing the baby might not be doing ok is just killing me.

Dont worry Clacla everything will be fine. Babies vary so much size wise. I was told my last baby was going to be around 7lbs...he was 9lbs 10. At my last meeting with consultant I asked him if I'd be having a section again, he said it depends on the size of the baby, if its 7lbs try naturally if its 9lbs it'll be a section. I asked how we would know the size and he said we'd guess....to which I informed him of how his "guess" on my previous child went. And he is meant to be one of the top consultants in my hospital....

Everything will be ok. Try not to worry..

Orange369 wrote:
    Heya girls...bit upset this evening just wondering if you think I am being over dramatic about this!! But my bf wants to go to Scotland to see a Celtic match on the 28th of September for the weekend Fri til Sun.. I am due on the 17th of Oct.. first baby so very anxious about it all anyway never mind the fact he will be away a whole weekend.. i know most women go overdue on their first but I just dont like the idea of him going away so close to the baby what you reckon am I being too sensitive about it?

I'd be saying no and I'd be seriously pis5ed off that I even had to say so. You'll be so uncomfortable and what if you fell in the shower or something? There will be more matches, this baby's safe arrival and your comfort at such a late stage are far more important. I don't envy you sorting this out :(

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Orange369 wrote:
    Heya girls...bit upset this evening just wondering if you think I am being over dramatic about this!! But my bf wants to go to Scotland to see a Celtic match on the 28th of September for the weekend Fri til Sun.. I am due on the 17th of Oct.. first baby so very anxious about it all anyway never mind the fact he will be away a whole weekend.. i know most women go overdue on their first but I just dont like the idea of him going away so close to the baby what you reckon am I being too sensitive about it?

I'd be saying no and I'd be seriously pis5ed off that I even had to say so. You'll be so uncomfortable and what if you fell in the shower or something? There will be more matches, this baby's safe arrival and your comfort at such a late stage are far more important. I don't envy you sorting this out :(

I would never be the type of girlfriend to say no but I think he is being selfish here, as you said there are loads of matches but your 1st baby only comes once!! I told him I will never forgive him if he goes and missed the baby being born..

clacla82 wrote:

You poor thing :( are you doing any pregnancy yoga or anything like that? There are some basic ones on YouTube that are really relaxing, and might help to take your mind off it. I know it's potentially very serious so a bit of yoga isn't going to alleviate the stress entirely, but even a short bit of time for you and baby to forget it might help.

Fingers crossed the news is positive on Friday, at the end of the day they are on the case and will have a plan in place so that's a big advantage to not knowing, even though it's the last thing you want.

Orange369 wrote: »

Ok I am all over this! I am going to say a big fat NO. Like it is just too close, you will be so uncomfortable and everything by then, not least the every real chance baby makes an early arrival.

My husband's family are having a party on Sept 21 with me due Oct 11 and he was like GREAT and I was like...ehhh not you buddy. He can have one or two but then I am driving home. I just wouldn't relax I don't think.

I am sure it would be fine...but it's a chance I wouldn't want to take.

Thank God you agree! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed today anyway and that just pushed me over the edge now.. I just hav a feeling from the very start that she will come early and I would be so upset if he wasn't there for it.. I am due back in hospital to see the consultant next week for 32 week scan so we will hav to see how baby is measuring etc.. She was measuring ahead a few weeks ago so just cant wait to see how she is getting on now it really is a stressful time without any extra unnecessary stress

Orange369 wrote:
    I would never be the type of girlfriend to say no but I think he is being selfish here, as you said there are loads of matches but your 1st baby only comes once!! I told him I will never forgive him if he goes and missed the baby being born..

I'm the same, we are very easy going and encouraging of each others' social lives, but that's pushing it.

Girls is everyone's baby going bananas in there at this stage? Only 31 weeks but it feels like he/she is trying to punch their way out. Really strong and really frequent kicks/jabs/pushes. I love feeling so much movement don't get me wrong, but some it's bloody sore!

Girls is everyone's baby going bananas in there at this stage? Only 31 weeks but it feels like he/she is trying to punch their way out. Really strong and really frequent kicks/jabs/pushes. I love feeling so much movement don't get me wrong, but some it's bloody sore!

The third trimester- when baby's kicks stop being "aww" and start being "oww!". They will get more painful as baby's space gets more and more constricted unfortunately. All part of it. My wee fella is like a kung fu fighter in there every night. Soon you'll be able to differentiate between elbows and heels and bum and spine, just by feeling your belly... and you can push the little feet back in when they are sticking out the side of your bump (they literally do stick out. Visible hard lumps. It's feeaky).

Orange369- I can't believe your boyfriend is considering going off to watch a feckin football match less than 3 weeks before your due date! I would absolutely kick him into touch on that. Not fair and very risky. My first baby was due 19th January and my husband wanted to go home to his family in the UK for two weeks over Christmas. I was so shocked but he thought I was being dramatic. Men don't get it. Thankfully his mum and sister intervened and he didn't go... but baby arrived 26th jan anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

Clacla82, please let us know how you get on on Friday. I'm sure it'll be nothing. Doctors often say something without realising that we will interpret it to be a much bigger deal than it is... patients often catastrophise things. I regularly have patients coming in or phoning up in a terrible tizzy because they've misunderstood or misinterpreted a small comment one of my colleagues made into something more serious. If you're very anxious about it, you should definitely phone your consultant up (you are a private patient, right?) and explain how worried you are. You'll feel better for having spoken to them about it.

Cash_Q - we told the buyers not to be so ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yep. One side of my belly was going up and down like it was trampolining in there, and it’s started not just waking me up but intruding in my dreams.

Of course, it stops te instant I tell Himself to have a look/ feel.

kylith wrote:
    Yep. One side of my belly was going up and down like it was trampolining in there, and it’s started not just waking me up but intruding in my dreams.

Yeah it's like a water bed or something at time lol

Once my husband touches my belly the baby comes to life it is mad, as if it knows his touch or something...well that's what we've been telling ourselves :P

Good! Total chancers!

Orange I think it’s a discussion between the two of ye tbh and the set up around birth. What happens if you do go that weekend? Will you have some support? If you do then it’s how you feel without him! I’m not sure how I’d feel about it. In our case if it was a wedding or a stag or similar then I’d probabky say yes. I’m not a football fan so I’m not sure how I’d feel about a match, that kinda depends on how football is in your house.

Baby is kicking the crap out of me here too

• Advertisement

The third trimester- when baby's kicks stop being "aww" and start being "oww!". They will get more painful as baby's space gets more and more constricted unfortunately. All part of it. My wee fella is like a kung fu fighter in there every night. Soon you'll be able to differentiate between elbows and heels and bum and spine, just by feeling your belly... and you can push the little feet back in when they are sticking out the side of your bump (they literally do stick out. Visible hard lumps. It's feeaky).

Orange369- I can't believe your boyfriend is considering going off to watch a feckin football match less than 3 weeks before your due date! I would absolutely kick him into touch on that. Not fair and very risky. My first baby was due 19th January and my husband wanted to go home to his family in the UK for two weeks over Christmas. I was so shocked but he thought I was being dramatic. Men don't get it. Thankfully his mum and sister intervened and he didn't go... but baby arrived 26th jan anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

Clacla82, please let us know how you get on on Friday. I'm sure it'll be nothing. Doctors often say something without realising that we will interpret it to be a much bigger deal than it is... patients often catastrophise things. I regularly have patients coming in or phoning up in a terrible tizzy because they've misunderstood or misinterpreted a small comment one of my colleagues made into something more serious. If you're very anxious about it, you should definitely phone your consultant up (you are a private patient, right?) and explain how worried you are. You'll feel better for having spoken to them about it.

Thanks Caitriona - I hope your house situ gets sorted soon. We started looking at bigger houses and two didn't work out - I am half glad, I just have October as my focus!

He did tell me not to worry and said he regretted worrying me as he could tell I was, said it was the absolute lowest level of concern and he is just keeping an eye. I suppose it's just hearing something out of the ordinary completely throws you.

Orange369 you are totally within your rights to say WTF...to be honest they are so clueless about the whole thing when it's the first, it's just that, he isn't the one devouring the whole internet of pregnancy and baby. They say first babies come late but the stats actually don't even really reflect that. He would die if something happened to you or you did go into labour, so I think just getting that across will work. My husband supposed to be going on a stag to Spain in two weeks and I didn't mind at all, but even now he is getting cold feet about it.

You poor thing :( are you doing any pregnancy yoga or anything like that? There are some basic ones on YouTube that are really relaxing, and might help to take your mind off it. I know it's potentially very serious so a bit of yoga isn't going to alleviate the stress entirely, but even a short bit of time for you and baby to forget it might help.

Fingers crossed the news is positive on Friday, at the end of the day they are on the case and will have a plan in place so that's a big advantage to not knowing, even though it's the last thing you want.

Thanks, hoping it isn't serious, and he is happy with what he sees. I actually downloaded Gentle Birth and started doing the meditations so that's helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Aldi seem to be doing Next to me sheets if anyone is still looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Are they the right size? They seem to be different dimensions to what is sold online.

Panda18 wrote:
    Aldi seem to be doing Next to me sheets if anyone is still looking for them

Didn't spot them but I did get a two pack of flat cot sheets for ten euro from Guineys, ordered online and had them delivered but easily bought in the shop too. Found it impossible to find flat and not fitted sheets in any of the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Are they the right size? They seem to be different dimensions to what is sold online.

Oh I’m not sure, I remembered people were looking for ones a few weeks back and they have an image of a co sleeper crib on the pack, I assumed they’d work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Only catching up on some posts now.

Clacla try not to worry too much about baby size as others have said, it really is such an inexact science from so much that I have heard and read, I know it is useless saying not to worry though, it's only natural to worry about everything baby related! Hope the gentle birth tracks help!

Caitriona, dunno how you are doing a house move, mad altogether, can't imagine packing up a house, I struggle just putting washing away. How did it work out with the buyers and the extra two months?

Orange, just no, there would be no going off to football matches for my husband, he would know not to even mention a desire to go to me cause it would be out of the question! You are not making this baby alone he needs to realise that. He should be doing everything to help you instead of heading off to matches in a different country. Saying that, if he does go I am sure you will be fine and you won't go early but you still need the peace of mind.

I am sure I have missed other stuff.... Sorry!

I am so unorganised this time round, haven't packed my bag or babies bag, haven't washed wee mans old newborn baby gros etc which needs to be done. Really need to get moving, have a few things to get like new crib mattress and car seat for the new buggy etc, need to stock up on cotton wool and tiny nappies etc too... Agh!! Only 7 weeks to go for me!

Had physio for my spd early this week, that physio I go to is just like a magician, seriously is, expensive but it almost feels non existant now, worth every penny! You can't put a price on mobility!

Can't believe we are almost there now, really dying to find out gender etc. Can't wait to have a tiny little person to cuddle again, I think i will appreciate it so much more this time round cause it won't be as new and scary after getting the practice in on number two!

Funnily enough I am dreading the return of poonamis to our house the more than any other newborn aspect!

greenttc wrote:
    I am so unorganised this time round, haven't packed my bag or babies bag, haven't washed wee mans old newborn baby gros etc which needs to be done. Really need to get moving, have a few things to get like new crib mattress and car seat for the new buggy etc, need to stock up on cotton wool and tiny nappies etc too... Agh!! Only 7 weeks to go for me!

Once you get going you'll fly, just make a list in your phone and delete items off it as you get them...only problem witj lists is that they tend to get added to rather than ticked off :P

7 weeks ahhh so soon, so exciting!

Ah Jesus I had forgotten about the poonamis! Nasty. On every bloody surface too. Must get the throws back on the couch.

Just home from a wedding and girls, I'm done in! Pregnant women are not cut out for this stuff. So tired and so sore.

Greenttc, we are officially out of our house at the start of December. We have nowhere to go so the thought of that is keeping me awake at night. I haven't started worrying about the logistics of all the packing with a toddler and a newborn either. Stress city.

How's everyone managing in work? I only work 2-3 days a week but I'm really struggling. I sit on a little stool with no back support, and my job involves lots of bending and leaning and twisting over patients, and my back is in bits with it. I only worked one day last week, after nearly two weeks off, and by 11am I was in a lot of pain. I'm working sat, sun, mon this week and am really worried about how I'll cope. I have a combination of walking and Luas to and from work too, rather than just driving up to the door. And my workload is extremely high and can be very stressful. It's not gonna be fun!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your support over the football match trip situation! He hasnt really mentioned it since so I think hes realising oh sh*t this isnt a good idea..

Girls I am struggling with work, I had to phone in sick today, very tired when Friday comes along! I am in an office sitting all day and my feet have really swelled up this week and they usually go back to normal over night but this morning stil swollen and sore.. I am going to go get my BP checked in Boots just in case its high..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I recommend Mama Mio Lucky Legs 'Cooling Energising Leg Gel' for the puffy legs and feet.
    I got it as a present last time after the baby was born, and I was thinking it would have come in handy for the last few weeks of pregnancy!
    It is really good at easing the swelling at the end of the day.

So it’s kind of the same story as last week, baby growing just not that much, and he said he will be seeing me every week til I’m due. He was adamant he’s not worried about the baby, reckons it’s just “constitutionally small”. Fluid, placental blood flow etc looks good still. My blood pressure is perfect. But could be looking at bringing me in at 38 weeks for induction or even 37 weeks. I know that’s not dramatic it happens all the time and I’m not as acutely worried as last week but I’m still devastated baby isn’t plumping up and now thinking they could end up in neonates. Baby only 1.4kg compared to average of 1.7 at this stage.

So it’s kind of the same story as last week, baby growing just not that much, and he said he will be seeing me every week til I’m due. He was adamant he’s not worried about the baby, reckons it’s just “constitutionally small”. Fluid, placental blood flow etc looks good still. My blood pressure is perfect. But could be looking at bringing me in at 38 weeks for induction or even 37 weeks. I know that’s not dramatic it happens all the time and I’m not as acutely worried as last week but I’m still devastated baby isn’t plumping up and now thinking they could end up in neonates. Baby only 1.4kg compared to average of 1.7 at this stage.

Thats good news! Baby is growing away and you are being looked after. The weekly checks will be great. Nice that you are feeling less stressed this week too, you can relax a bit more now

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've asked at the two antenatal classes I've attended and it really is not clear at all..

Those of you who have already had a baby in the Coombe, can you tell me what is the actual set up in hospital for public patients for labour/birth/recovery

At the antenatal class she describes where we'll be for a typical labour like this

1) waters break, come into assessment unit, go home until contractions more regular (unless they keep you in)

2) return to the hospital having laboured at home/contractions more regular, and get admitted to the labour ward

3) have your baby, recover on ward with baby, get discharged when all is well...

It seems to me she's skipping over the actual location of the birth..

My question surrounds the labour ward.. like are there multiplencubicles of women giving birth in a ward??? This sounds horrific and lacking in privacy so I hope I'm right that I'm missing something.

Or are there actual private rooms for delivery regardless of being public/private, and then recovery takes place on a ward if public, or in private room if private patient

Sorry if this is such a stupid question but I kind of presumed birth takes place in a private delivery room, I just find it concerning that the midwife has not mentioned this at all despite me asking twice!

If I'm right that there are private rooms for the delivery, at what point are you moved from the labour ward to a delivery room?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

My question surrounds the labour ward.. like are there multiplencubicles of women giving birth in a ward??? This sounds horrific and lacking in privacy so I hope I'm right that I'm missing something.

Or are there actual private rooms for delivery regardless of being public/private, and then recovery takes place on a ward if public, or in private room if private patient

Sorry if this is such a stupid question but I kind of presumed birth takes place in a private delivery room, I just find it concerning that the midwife has not mentioned this at all despite me asking twice!

If I'm right that there are private rooms for the delivery, at what point are you moved from the labour ward to a delivery room?

hey, had my first in the Coombe, public. You deliver in a private room (I would have, as I laboured in one, but ended up delivering baby in theatre as I was moved there when there were complications). Then I was moved to another private room to recover for a few hours with baby, and a few hours after that I was moved to a ward, there were maybe 4 other women on the ward with me.
    To my knowledge in the Coombe you would not labour and deliver with another woman in the room- it's just you, regardless of public or private or semi private care.

the room I laboured in (and would have delivered in) was nice, spacious with an en suite loo. The private recovery room afterwards had an en suite with a shower, which I used. My baby was delivered at 4.15am and I was moved to the wards by 9am I think. Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement

If admitted but not over 4cm you may be labouring on St Monica’s ward until you progress enough to a labour room. Reasons for that are varied but if you needed pain meds or monitoring while in the very early stages. St Monica’s is also where inductions start (4 to a room I believe).

I was induced at the end of st Monica’s, moved to labour room at 0cm because they couldn’t get a good enough trace (heart rate was poor) to give me pain meds and I had to be in a labour room to be given gas and air. It only took an hour for me to give birth but I was another hour or two before I was moved back to the ward so I also availed of the shower etc while waiting

Monica’s and Labour rooms are grand. Postnatal was bedlam in my experience.

Ah thanks that's perfect! So when she says Labour Ward she means a whole area of these private rooms and not a row of beds in a shared room! Thought it sounded a bit mad, that's great thanks for clarifying :)

Ah thanks that's perfect! So when she says Labour Ward she means a whole area of these private rooms and not a row of beds in a shared room! Thought it sounded a bit mad, that's great thanks for clarifying :)

Exactly!

Monica’s and Labour rooms are grand. Postnatal was bedlam in my experience.

Yeah she explained reasons to be admitted rather than sent home alright.

I dread the postnatal wards. I was waiting on those chairs beside the security desk yesterday and the characters going by...Jesus I'd hate to be sharing a ward with any of them for long. Hoping to get out asap but it's not in our control unfortunately!

Thank God we have our own room to give birth in! I am kinda dreading the after delivery part as God knows who you will get in your room as you said there is loads of character's in the Coombe! Back there tomorrow for physio class and Tuesday for my 32 week consultant app I cant wait to see how baby is getting on now, I feel she is really low down

• Advertisement
Advertisement