Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Girls tbh you will be so much in your own bubble you won’t notice or care about the people you share with! I think I had a brief chat with a girl next to me, she was lovely but we were both so wrapped up in our babies and resting there were only a few words spoken. I was dying to get home mainly because of the heat and I missed my husband. As a second time mam I’m not dreading the hospital stay as much now, in a few weeks time. It’ll hopefully fly by for you and you’ll be back home with baby before you know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've been in bits all weekend with cramps and back pain. Nothing timetable and when I gave in and rang the Coombe today she reckons all is fine. I feel like I'm on day one of my period. Its suuuuper uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I was on postnatal ward for two nights last time, with 5 other mums and babies. Like cameoette said, you won't be doing much chatting with the others- it's so busy trying to manage baby(especially if you're learning to breastfeed) and keeping up with all the texts from people.

Bloody noisy though. I got very little sleep. Good quality ear plugs highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

I've been in bits all weekend with cramps and back pain. Nothing timetable and when I gave in and rang the Coombe today she reckons all is fine. I feel like I'm on day one of my period. Its suuuuper uncomfortable

I feel like this too, only 32 weeks this week and defo getting very painful contractions not regular and no pattern but they are sore!!

Orange369 wrote: »
    I feel like this too, only 32 weeks this week and defo getting very painful contractions not regular and no pattern but they are sore!!

Mines a constant dull ache down low and across my lower back with intermittent harsher pain. Its not fun and its making me super grumpy. Had braxton hicks on top of it last night and was so uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Remember everyone, there is a thing called the early discharge home scheme where you can go home soon after your baby is born. I did this last time, stayed over to give birth (obviously) then stayed one night in post natal ward and was out home the next morning. Then a Midwife checked on me at home for about 4 days afterwards. It was brilliant and I will 100% be doing it this time round again hopefully. Its not available of your private or obviously if you have a section, other than that, if you don't want to stay on post natal ward make sure you ask for it!

Anyone else getting big digs in the cervix? They take my breath away!

Should say, I know they do that in Dublin at least not sure about the country hospitals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

greenttc wrote:
    Remember everyone, there is a thing called the early discharge home scheme where you can go home soon after your baby is born. I did this last time, stayed over to give birth (obviously) then stayed one night in post natal ward and was out home the next morning. Then a Midwife checked on me at home for about 4 days afterwards. It was brilliant and I will 100% be doing it this time round again hopefully. Its not available of your private or obviously if you have a section, other than that, if you don't want to stay on post natal ward make sure you ask for it!

Oh I will 100% be availing of this scheme *if* I can, but it's the fear that I won't be allowed to for whatever reason, birth complications or whatever, but I'll be as insistent as I can be.

I think you have to be in specific catchment areas for the early release?

Just had the most horrendous SPD episode yet. Literally got stuck in the hall unable to take a step from pain. Think I’ll be ringing back the physio tomorrow. Darn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Orange369 wrote: »
    Heya girls...bit upset this evening just wondering if you think I am being over dramatic about this!! But my bf wants to go to Scotland to see a Celtic match on the 28th of September for the weekend Fri til Sun.. I am due on the 17th of Oct.. first baby so very anxious about it all anyway never mind the fact he will be away a whole weekend.. i know most women go overdue on their first but I just dont like the idea of him going away so close to the baby:( what you reckon am I being too sensitive about it?

When I was pregnant with my first my husband went to Liverpool for a match when I was 38 weeks, he did it as a day trip though (we lived in London so just over 2 hours by train) and I ended up going 8 days over.

If he's set on going I'd ask him to do a day trip, a full weekend is excessive. If you're not comfortable with it though he shouldn't go, there will always be other matches he can go to.

I think you have to be in specific catchment areas for the early release?

Yeah you do, luckily I'm in one of the areas covered. First baby but the last midwife I saw said I could be released 5 hours later...seems a bit too good to be true so gonna double check that, but it would be my dream come true! I have no doubt that the support of midwives on the recovery ward is priceless, but I just value my privacy and my own bed so much! They come out every day for 5 days afterwards anyway if you opt for early release, which sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Anyone else getting big digs in the cervix? They take my breath away!
    Yes! Except I would say they are kicks as my baby was still breech at last scan....

Doing spinning babies moves in a desperate bid to encourage them to move Now that I might be getting induced, I don't want there to be any extra chance of a C-section!

clacla82 wrote: »
    Yes! Except I would say they are kicks as my baby was still breech at last scan....

Doing spinning babies moves in a desperate bid to encourage them to move Now that I might be getting induced, I don't want there to be any extra chance of a C-section!

Yes I had a private scan last week and he had gone from being head down since 20 weeks, to breech. He had been head down at another scan just a few days earlier. Wee skitter! However I'm not too worried as we still have quite a bit of time, and they're not TOO big for turning to be an issue.

I also hadn't noticed him turning from head down to breech, so I figure he may turn back of his own accord without me even noticing.

Yes I had a private scan last week and he had gone from being head down since 20 weeks, to breech. He had been head down at another scan just a few days earlier. Wee skitter! However I'm not too worried as we still have quite a bit of time, and they're not TOO big for turning to be an issue.

I also hadn't noticed him turning from head down to breech, so I figure he may turn back of his own accord without me even noticing.

Oh fingers crossed! I don't need that as well as everything else :(

Mine has been breech for the last few weeks though, hoping they aren't too comfortable there!

Most babies do turn so try not to worry too much. And for those who utterly refuse to turn, there's not really anything you can do to make them (other than having a good go at the spinning babies) - so it's not worth too much worry then either!

That said, I've not even entertained the notion of a c section and I know I would be really gutted if things ended up that way!

Most babies do turn so try not to worry too much. And for those who utterly refuse to turn, there's not really anything you can do to make them (other than having a good go at the spinning babies) - so it's not worth too much worry then either!

That said, I've not even entertained the notion of a c section and I know I would be really gutted if things ended up that way!

Yeah that's all true so will just have to get baby out the best way for them, but I would also be gutted if it went that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

At my check up the last day I was told the baby can turn up to 36 weeks so don't worry girls. Our little one also turned head down without me even noticing.

For the sake of my poor cervix, I hope he turns soon! Owwwwwwww!!!!

• Advertisement

For the sake of my poor cervix, I hope he turns soon! Owwwwwwww!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Would anyone know if I didn’t get my maternity applied for on time( 6 weeks before stopping) will I miss out on payments? Work are dragging their heels

Panda18 wrote:
    Would anyone know if I didn’t get my maternity applied for on time( 6 weeks before stopping) will I miss out on payments? Work are dragging their heels

From what I gather you'll still get your money, but it won't come through in time if that makes sense. You may then get the first few weeks' payment together. Put them under pressure, it's their obligation to fill in the form and you're entitled to receive your payments in time.

Panda18 wrote: »

From Google searching for the same reason no. They’ll back pay, it just may not come in week one

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Cash_Q wrote: »
    From what I gather you'll still get your money, but it won't come through in time if that makes sense. You may then get the first few weeks' payment together. Put them under pressure, it's their obligation to fill in the form and you're entitled to receive your payments in time.

From Google searching for the same reason no. They’ll back pay, it just may not come in week one

Ah brilliant, thank you! They’ll hopefully do it this week :) I’m using holidays to finish up the end of this month. I can’t believe how close it’s all getting! Just had a scan and baby’s head is down in the pelvis but is back to back so hopefully i’ll Get them turned around in time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

audi02 wrote: »
    At my check up the last day I was told the baby can turn up to 36 weeks so don't worry girls. Our little one also turned head down without me even noticing.

I was told the same, so I'm not worrying too much. For the last few scans and examinations baby's been sideways. However I'm pretty sure it's moving around the place. I'm getting thumped in the cervix, the ribs, the side, the bladder, and there's plenty of stretching making lumps around my belly button.

• Advertisement

Head well down and growth is bang on here thank god. Back for another one in 4 weeks. Blood pressure up a little but nothing concerning yet. Liver bloods being redone because I’m still itchy but I can’t see there being a problem. Will check me at 38 for an induction but no commitment either way. I can argue that closer to the time if I need to

Wee trip into Holles St this morning due to reduced movements. Thankfully all ok. He was wriggling away on the scan and I couldn't feel it at all - felt like a bit of an eejit. Currently transverse but no doubt that'll change as he was breech last week! New casualty dept in Holles St very impressive.

Are you ladies getting tested for strep b?

Wee trip into Holles St this morning due to reduced movements. Thankfully all ok. He was wriggling away on the scan and I couldn't feel it at all - felt like a bit of an eejit. Currently transverse but no doubt that'll change as he was breech last week! New casualty dept in Holles St very impressive.

Oh glad everything is ok!

I had it on my last. Meant to ask today what the story was. The birth reflection midwife said they usually just assume you’ll have it again

Does anyone else find they're being passed around from Billy to Jack and getting nowhere in terms of care?? I'm public on the combined care scheme. Saw my GP initially, then booking appt at the midwife clinic, she put me under consultant care because I have an underactive thyroid. Saw the consultant in the Coombe and told him that I also see a thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown and he said not to see that consultant anymore as there's a conflict between two teams looking after my care...but then he released me back to the midwife clinic so I continued seeing the thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown because otherwise I'd have no one monitoring it. Loughlinstown wrote to my GP to monitor my thyroid levels, after 3 blood tests with problematic levels, they finally reduced my meds. Under the combined care scheme I see the practice nurse not the GP, so when I have my antenatal appointments I'm then waiting around again to see the GP to prescribe anything and address the thyroid, plus very low iron that was only identified when I asked for it to be tested, despite me flagging the fact I'm vegetarian from the start. Last week I attended the coombe to see the mental health midwife and she tested my thyroid and iron again, and is trying to get me an appointment with the endocrine team there, who I feel I should have been seeing all along, and she said the thyroid and iron are still wrong. Attended Loughlinstown again today and they said to maintain reduced dose of meds that GP prescribed, and to contact the GP about my iron. I have an appointment at the midwife clinic on Friday which is all well and good but I have to attend the GP now anyway to address the iron situation, meanwhile I'm left waiting on the endocrine team and the mental health team from the Coombe to contact me. Sorry for the big rant and it probably doesn't make any sense as it barely makes sense to me, but for fukc sake can I not expect a bit more consistency of care from even one team, rather than jumping between so many professionals. I know I'm public and you get what you pay for, but I'm beyond frustrated with it.

Does anyone else find they're being passed around from Billy to Jack and getting nowhere in terms of care?? I'm public on the combined care scheme. Saw my GP initially, then booking appt at the midwife clinic, she put me under consultant care because I have an underactive thyroid. Saw the consultant in the Coombe and told him that I also see a thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown and he said not to see that consultant anymore as there's a conflict between two teams looking after my care...but then he released me back to the midwife clinic so I continued seeing the thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown because otherwise I'd have no one monitoring it. Loughlinstown wrote to my GP to monitor my thyroid levels, after 3 blood tests with problematic levels, they finally reduced my meds. Under the combined care scheme I see the practice nurse not the GP, so when I have my antenatal appointments I'm then waiting around again to see the GP to prescribe anything and address the thyroid, plus very low iron that was only identified when I asked for it to be tested, despite me flagging the fact I'm vegetarian from the start. Last week I attended the coombe to see the mental health midwife and she tested my thyroid and iron again, and is trying to get me an appointment with the endocrine team there, who I feel I should have been seeing all along, and she said the thyroid and iron are still wrong. Attended Loughlinstown again today and they said to maintain reduced dose of meds that GP prescribed, and to contact the GP about my iron. I have an appointment at the midwife clinic on Friday which is all well and good but I have to attend the GP now anyway to address the iron situation, meanwhile I'm left waiting on the endocrine team and the mental health team from the Coombe to contact me. Sorry for the big rant and it probably doesn't make any sense as it barely makes sense to me, but for fukc sake can I not expect a bit more consistency of care from even one team, rather than jumping between so many professionals. I know I'm public and you get what you pay for, but I'm beyond frustrated with it.

These are the joys of being pregnant with an ongoing condition. The Coombe should probably doing blood tests with you for iron levels I know holles Street do with me but my gp always asks to make sure I have them done too and would have done them in her surgery if not. Holles Street seems a little more organised compared to your story, I am in a high risk clinic which is probably equalish to your consultant led, I wouldn't be allowed near a Midwife clinic with any previous medical history I don't think!

So I go to appointment, see a Midwife first who weighs me, checks to see what tests I might be due (GD, bloods for iron, do I have vaccines done etc) and organises if I need any of them done. Asks how I am and gives any advice I might need. Then I see the consultant who does a scan and blood pressure and anything else that is needed from them, medical issues, prescriptions, liase with my neurologist if necessary. Then I see my haematologist (but not always) and that is just a standard appointment with them. All done within an hour or so if I get in early enough, fairly organised and everything covered.

GP I go to in between holles Street and its really just blood pressure and a check up. Always see gp, never the nurse, only saw the nurse for whooping cough vaccination.

Saw my neurologist too but he was well informed of how I was via letter from Holles Street.

I can see how yours could be all over the place with all the additional people to see like I have but mine seems to flow fairly well. I do always preempt and ask for things I need however, I ask for my blood tests in the hospital and I have my list of prescriptions I need and ask the appropriate person, I kinda just take control myself in a way if that makes sense.

Same with them offering me physio in holles Street I said no because I knew it was useless and just looked after it privately myself. If I had gone with them I would have followed up till I got what I needed. You kinda need to be very proactive and demand what you need to get the best out of the public care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Hi Catriona, jumping in from December thread here. I haven't noticed any movement from my little one since yesterday which is not like him as he's usually active especially at night. How long did you wait before getting checked?

Hi Catriona, jumping in from December thread here. I haven't noticed any movement from my little one since yesterday which is not like him as he's usually active especially at night. How long did you wait before getting checked?

Hi Stella, how many weeks are you? Does your baby have active and quiet times? My wee man is normally really active in the evenings and was quiet last time. I slept on it (which I probably shouldn't have done), and then when he was still pretty quiet around 4 hours after waking (I've been awake since 2.30!), I rang a midwife for advice.

Generally they say to take an hour out to yourself. Drink 2-3 glasses of ice cold water or a fizzy drink, and lie down on your left side in peace and quiet and concentrate on feeling for movement. If still no joy, head on in to get checked.

greenttc wrote:
    You kinda need to be very proactive and demand what you need to get the best out of the public care.

Yeah I think I need to put my foot down now on Friday and insist that I'm back with the consultant only and chase up everything through them. It's too messy and it's all just come to a head now. I'm 32 weeks now, I know things change as the pregnancy progresses but they should have a better handle on all this.

Hi Stella, how many weeks are you? Does your baby have active and quiet times? My wee man is normally really active in the evenings and was quiet last time. I slept on it (which I probably shouldn't have done), and then when he was still pretty quiet around 4 hours after waking (I've been awake since 2.30!), I rang a midwife for advice.

Generally they say to take an hour out to yourself. Drink 2-3 glasses of ice cold water or a fizzy drink, and lie down on your left side in peace and quiet and concentrate on feeling for movement. If still no joy, head on in to get checked.
    I'm 23.5 weeks. He is usually kicking me a lot every evening especially when I am lying down, and had just started doing this noticeably during the day too but I noticed he was v quiet last night. Still nothing definite today although I thought I might have felt something but not sure. I just emailed the midwifes to ask them as I am on the Domino scheme and not sure if I contact my GP or them in this case.

I spoke too soon...he just started kicking again, the relief  :D

Afaik, at 23 weeks the baby is still so small that it's fairly normal to go long ish periods without feeling them. I'm sure the midwife will give better advice than me though. It's generally when you get towards the third trimester that movements are more regular and definite, and hence when changes in the pattern of movement can be more significant.

Glad he's started tumbling around for you now anyway! Always reassuring.

Thanks Catriona...I won't worry so much now if he goes MIA for a day or so until I get further along so :)

Yeah I think I need to put my foot down now on Friday and insist that I'm back with the consultant only and chase up everything through them. It's too messy and it's all just come to a head now. I'm 32 weeks now, I know things change as the pregnancy progresses but they should have a better handle on all this.

Foot down definitely. I would insist that my care be back under the consultant in the Coombe andnproper blood tests are run

Deleted as there's only two of us this could have been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Yes. Ridiculous indeed.
    I have about 3 or 4 letters from Maternity benefit section in Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection   now. They are asking for information that doesn't exist yet.
    My Employer couldn't complete the form right, even when I gave them the exact information to be filled in. They asked me to change the start date to a Monday. I don't even know why that would be necessary!

Saying that... I am becoming more short tempered and emotional this week. Could it be something to do with the hormones? The extra weight of the baby causing pain - not wanting to take paracetamol but having no other option!??

• Advertisement

Christ that’s super frustrating. The Monday thing seems to be recent by employers, I imagine it’s convenience.

And yeah I have to agree, my fuse is incredibly short and I’m weepy again. I’ve been putting it down to being super uncomfortable. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to get through the next 8/9 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carolayna

Hi Ladies,

I'm seeking advice. I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant.
    The work is killing me, commuting over an hour one way each day, standing for 8.5h and the pressure as well as stress work load puts on me.. I have talked to my gp yesterday as I have back pains, low iron levels and swollen feet by the end of the day in work.
    She wont sign me off work as I asked her from next week on.. In work they told me either to get cert from gp or quit..
    Any advice what to do? I feel too exhaused to be working for another 4 weeks.. Even the midwife that sees me told me to get cert off work from gp..

carolayna wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

The work is killing me, commuting over an hour one way each day, standing for 8.5h and the pressure as well as stress work load puts on me.. I have talked to my gp yesterday as I have back pains, low iron levels and swollen feet by the end of the day in work.
    She wont sign me off work as I asked her from next week on.. In work they told me either to get cert from gp or quit..
    Any advice what to do? I feel too exhaused to be working for another 4 weeks.. Even the midwife that sees me told me to get cert off work from gp..

Are you combined care? Could you ask the hospital at the 34 weeks appointment?

Oh carolayna that is so totally unfair! Why on earth won't the doctor support you! I'd ring another practice and ask can they offer you a cert, although it's unlikely. Can you ask to see a doctor at the hospital to get the cert? Or keep going back to the doctor until they hear you out, I'd be so upset if I were you and that surely warrants being signed off on mental health grounds.

As for the heightened emotions, I too am all over the place! Feel fine today but was having proper full on mood swings yesterday like I've never had before, hating the world and everyone in it one minute, and getting all soppy and lovey the next minute. I went to yoga class last night and it cured me for last night and today at least, look some up on YouTube and see if it helps at all?!

The appointments that I have left are either with midwife or gp :(

met my midwife actually today and she is shocked that I didnt got signed off from my gp..
    she told to me go back to gp and ask for another doctor but they cant sign me off as it has to be my own one ..

carolayna wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Did she give a reason for not signing you off?? What a horrible GP! I would be back to her to demand a sick note and to question her decision not to! Although the easier route would be to get a note from the hospital, I know that holles Street gave me a note even though I had one from my gp, I think they are happy to facilitate anyone who needs one.

I would also be looking for a new gp once you have gotten through the while combined care.

There is not a hope I would be able to work at the moment, I am over 34 weeks but have been off for a while now, I just couldn't sit a desk all day long I was so so uncomfortable, I can't imagine what I would be like if I were standing!

Also should add to my post above, do not be tempted to quit or take maternity leave early, you would regret both decisions! Push for that note from whatever source you can

carolayna wrote:
    met my midwife actually today and she is shocked that I didnt got signed off from my gp.. she told to me go back to gp and ask for another doctor but they cant sign me off as it has to be my own one ..

As far as I know you can change practice and remain under combined care, look into this. You will have after care with this GP and your baby will attend them too, you need to be happy with the service they provide. If the surgery you attend has more than one GP then ask for another, your comment above that it 'has to be my own one' says who? Your employer?They cany dictate that. If the practice are saying that to you it's a load of crap. Total unnecessary stress for you :(

Gp said to me "but you are not sick"...
    Back to her tomorrow so fingers crossed ladies other wise I don't know what I'm gonna do..

I'm not planning on leaving work as that would be stupid to do now but I can't stress so much because of it.. Baby is most important now.

• Advertisement

As far as I know you can change practice and remain under combined care, look into this. You will have after care with this GP and your baby will attend them too, you need to be happy with the service they provide. If the surgery you attend has more than one GP then ask for another, your comment above that it 'has to be my own one' says who? Your employer?They cany dictate that. If the practice are saying that to you it's a load of crap. Total unnecessary stress for you :(

The surgery has few doctors and I went up today to see another one hoping to get a cert but the doctor told me it would have to be the one I usually attend.. and left me open door.. I recently changed to that practice and looks like I will have to change again..

Advertisement