Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah Jesus girls, I've just been out with a friend of a friend who has a two week old and she's really struggling. Just not getting any sleep. An hour here and there. And recovering from a c-section. And all weepy and emotional and full of self-doubt. She has no family in Ireland so sent a message of desperation out at 4am asking for someone to come hold the baby for an hour so that she can sleep, God bless her.

Anyway I had him for three hours and thankfully she did sleep (she said it's the longest stretch of sleep she's had since he was born), but it really did put the fear of God into me about how I'm going to cope. She's barely coping with one baby and a partner off work. I'm going to also have a really demanding toddler to contend with, and my husband is only taking the two weeks off and that'll have to include the time I'm in hospital. I was worried about this already, but I'm even more worried now I've witnessed the newborn chaos again. It's funny how much you forget.....

Hope all you ladies get a good rest over the weekend (I work weekends and Mondays so my week starts now!), and that anyone who needs signed off gets it without any hurdles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yes they definitely will cope if I have to bow out...but I know I won't. I have found the summer very long and I thrive on the routine and sense of purpose with work. 34w on Sunday and the thoughts of another 8 weeks (potentially) at home waiting on the birth is just too much. I want to be in work for myself more than anything if I'm honest.

I get that, I'm always ready to get back to school in late August. And I was so delighted to be going back to a routine but unfortunately its just not to be. I'm planning for an alternative structure to my days now because I do want routine. My little had has preschool so I'll still get the "work week" feel and I plan to swim every day/every alternate day.

Catrionac, we've done it before-we'll do it again :rolleyes::eek: I'm nervous of that first period as well particularly on the second but I keep telling myself its just going to be a different experience. I've seen from others a lot of the "first time" worries we won't have time for!

Yes I'm glad that some things will be easier and I'm hoping breastfeeding is a smoother journey this time around (I thankfully won't have to worry about that first period for quite a long time yet!), although I hear the after pains are really bad on your second baby?

After seeing her literally feeding and winding and rocking round the clock, with no sleep at all and all those mad hormones to deal with, I'm even more nervous about how I'm gonna do all of that with a very demanding 20 month old dictator at my heels all day! Like she doesn't even have time to shower (and I remember not having time to shower), let alone make food for herself. How am I gonna do things like feed my toddler and keep him entertained and put him down for his nap and do bedtime with him? I literally won't even have time to wipe my own bum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

OMG your poor friend.. That sounds horrific!! I think I would have to give up thr breastfeeding and let my partner take some night feed turns if I was getting that little sleep.. As its my 1st time I feel so under prepared :( I think cause I am so anxious about the baby getting here safe and being ok that I haven't thought about bringing her home yet and all that's to come with it.

Ughhhhh girls I am just up with the worst pains in my hips. My job involves lots of moving around and walking, and when I do sit I am perched on a stool with no back support. I dunno how I'm gonna do the next 3 days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Ughhhhh girls I am just up with the worst pains in my hips. My job involves lots of moving around and walking, and when I do sit I am perched on a stool with no back support. I dunno how I'm gonna do the next 3 days....

Can you get a gym ball or is it too low down? My back and hips are so sore from work and that wedding, spending today between the bed and the couch with maybe a bit of YouTube yoga in the middle!

Can you get a gym ball or is it too low down? My back and hips are so sore from work and that wedding, spending today between the bed and the couch with maybe a bit of YouTube yoga in the middle!

We live in such a teeny tiny house that I don't even have space for a gym ball! Managed to squeeze one in on my last pregnancy, but now that we have a pram, highchair, toys etc in the house, there's literally nowhere for it at all.

Which is a pity, as it did really help.

Aw pity catrionanic, the stuff really does take over quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

My hips are sore to caitriona but ate the worst when lying down, I find the cushion between the legs helping me this time round although admittedly it didn't work last pregnancy but is working wonders this time, might be worth a try?

• Advertisement

Yes I've had pillow between my legs for months. Can't even lie in the bed for 5 mins without it! I think the sore hips is just due to all the extra weight being piled on them when I lie on my side. Too much for them to handle!

Work today was a killer. I was literally walking like my 88 year old granny by the end of it... I even had to use an umbrella as a walking stick when getting the Luas home!

I'm home now and have got one of those U-shaped breastfeeding pillows on backwards so it supports my lower back when I sit down and it feels great! Toddler is in the UK until Tuesday so at least I can rest when I get home.

6.5 weeks to go girls! Aaaaaarghhhhh!!!! So sick of being pregnant but so not ready for another baby!!!!

I feel you catrionanic!

I feel broken today. Super frustrating. Went for lunch with some friends and I was so not well afterwards, back pain/hip pain, I overheated and I was just so wrecked. Add to that I’ve been seeing stars/getting dizzy on and off for a couple of days I’m like can I just go back to functioning please? BP is still ok I’ve been keeping an eye on it with stars/dizziness. I’m just frustrated. 6 weeks seems like forever right now

The back pain and walking like a granny is me too, I had to go food shopping today and to Smyths for a birthday present and Dunnes for last few hospital bag bits and I was literally wrecked after it.. I really need to go to Liffey Valley tomorrow for a nice new top (my family are throwing me a baby shower next weekend and I want to look half decent lol) and I need a dress.for a wedding in 2 weeks time and the thoughts of walking around the shop kills me!! Lack of energy is awful and so humid this weekend too

Orange369 wrote: »
    The back pain and walking like a granny is me too, I had to go food shopping today and to Smyths for a birthday present and Dunnes for last few hospital bag bits and I was literally wrecked after it.. I really need to go to Liffey Valley tomorrow for a nice new top (my family are throwing me a baby shower next weekend and I want to look half decent lol) and I need a dress.for a wedding in 2 weeks time and the thoughts of walking around the shop kills me!! Lack of energy is awful and so humid this weekend too

Oh Jesus, I wouldn't be able for clothes shopping at all. Last time I was in liffey (granted it was a long time ago), very few shops really had much maternity stuff at all. Would you not be safer shopping online and saving yourself all that extra pain?

Orange369 wrote: »

Oh Jesus, I wouldn't be able for clothes shopping at all. Last time I was in liffey (granted it was a long time ago), very few shops really had much maternity stuff at all. Would you not be safer shopping online and saving yourself all that extra pain?

I know maybe you are right 😅 I am thinking only New Look and H&M have a decent maternity section and even then it's limited.. I think ill try 3-4 shops max and if I cant find anything ill go online.. Has everyone bought everything for baby now!? I still need a monitor and few small bits, rest of baby stuff will defo be bought online.. Wish Aldi would let us do online shopping too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Managed to go for a decent walk today with the dog, thanks to a shillelagh my brother made me, but I had to have a nap when I got home. I definitely recommend getting hold of a walking stick if you can.

• Advertisement

Is a shillelagh one of those old homemade walking sticks that old people in the country used to all have?

I'm currently basking in admiration at myself for fixing an electricity fault we had in the house this evening. I learnt what a fuse box is and how to use one! I can control the lights again... just wish I could control my bladder!!

Is a shillelagh one of those old homemade walking sticks that old people in the country used to all have?

Yep, a nice sturdy black painted ash walking stick.
    I'm currently basking in admiration at myself for fixing an electricity fault we had in the house this evening. I learnt what a fuse box is and how to use one! I can control the lights again... just wish I could control my bladder!!

Well done you! Fuse boards can be a bit terrifying.

My friends threw me a baby shower yesterday. 2 arranged to call in, then a dozen showed up. They'd all made an effort to bring food and treats that I could eat with my GD. I could have cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

kylith wrote: »
    My friends threw me a baby shower yesterday. 2 arranged to call in, then a dozen showed up. They'd all made an effort to bring food and treats that I could eat with my GD. I could have cried.

That is just gorgeous. I would have cried! My mum is throwing me one next weekend and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone before the madness begins.

My due date is October 10 but he is still talking about an early delivery...especially as baby is still breech and he doesn't seem confident they will turn. I am trying everything, including: moxibustion; spinning babies; ice packs; heat pads; torch; music; hypnosis tracks; pelvic rolls on ball; going on all fours. Am I missing anything???!!

Ah kylith that is so so lovely! A really special day for you to treasure forever.

Clacla82, it sounds like you're doing everything possible. I really hope your wee one turns for you soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Hey girls,

Just wondering for those of you that have already applied for maternity benefit, if you've had approval yet?

I sent off my forms in July, and had a text saying they'd been received and they'd be in touch when it had been looked at. Then I got another text saying they were looking after claims beginning end of July (so very delayed by the look of it).

Just wondering if I should be calling them at this stage.

I'm due to be finishing up in work at the end of the month.

Thanks.

Jodee08 wrote: »
    Hey girls,

Just wondering for those of you that have already applied for maternity benefit, if you've had approval yet?

I sent off my forms in July, and had a text saying they'd been received and they'd be in touch when it had been looked at. Then I got another text saying they were looking after claims beginning end of July (so very delayed by the look of it).

Thanks.

My application only just went in. Employer outright refuse to put the correct start date on the form despite confirmation in our terms and conditions of employment, INTO, DES and DSP. I've had to give up and send it in with a note attached saying I can't get them to put the correct date on it. Absolutely livid and my union is not helping

My application only just went in. Employer outright refuse to put the correct start date on the form despite confirmation in our terms and conditions of employment, INTO, DES and DSP. I've had to give up and send it in with a note attached saying I can't get them to put the correct date on it. Absolutely livid and my union is not helping

Oh what a nightmare!!! My principal queried my date too but I just told her it is the correct date according to the INTO calculator. She was querying it for the Dept application as opposed to Maternity Benefit but I won't be losing a week this side of it just because it's what she's always done in the past. You're due the 14th too aren't you? I think the fact its a Sunday works in our favour but is confusing for principals!

Oh what a nightmare!!! My principal queried my date too but I just told her it is the correct date according to the INTO calculator. She was querying it for the Dept application as opposed to Maternity Benefit but I won't be losing a week this side of it just because it's what she's always done in the past. You're due the 14th too aren't you? I think the fact its a Sunday works in our favour but is confusing for principals!

Yup, its a Sunday and its causing all the problems. First off I went through the terms and conditions of employment with them over the phone explaining it and they were just "you can't start your maternity that close to your due date". No matter how many times I pointed out that the paperwork refers to the END of the week I am due they wouldn't accept it. Then it was the INTO calculator is wrong. INTO say calculator is correct and was designed in conjunction with the Department of social welfare and they are completely confident it is correct. IBEC apparently told my employer I'm wrong. So I emailed the Department of Education about the circular/terms of employment and they say my interpretation is correct. At this stage it had been passed to the union so I forwarded that information from the DES last Thursday to the union and there's been no update since.

My head is wrecked over it. Now I've been signed off work too so I'm back filling in more paper work for illness benefit which apparently has to be paid into my bank account too so our budgets (we do a monthly one) is going to be a mess this month and throughout maternity. Plus I'm nervous of issues with tax when only part of my benefits are coming through the salary

Such a nightmare mirrorwall14 :( shouldn't be happening and the last thing you need at this stage in the pregnancy.

I'm also worried about the tax/split payments from SW and Dept of Ed...it's going to be messy I think. Just hoping it sorts itself out in the end :-/

Jodee08 wrote: »
    Hey girls,

Thanks.

Jodee you still have a few weeks yet so I wouldn't be too worried. If you received a text, you know they got your forms. What is your due date? I believe they process them in order of either due date or mat leave beginning usually.

I sent mine in around 3 weeks ago and got confirmation in the post today that I've been approved. The letter was brief but said there'd be more information to follow.

I'm due 16th and mat leave is starting 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Popping in from September thread ladies. In regards to mb I was late sending mine off and recieved the two texts one saying they recieved application and the other saying it was accepted and they were dealing with August claims first. Got 2 letters then last week about 4 weeks after the initial texts saying it was sorted and would be in my account from Sept 3rd and it was thankfully so I wouldn't be worried about it if you've yet to receive the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

hi ladies i was on here a while ago but had to re register and changed username.
    im due 1st october.
    hope everyone is keeping well.

i came on to say jodee08 not to worry yet either because i send mine off in July and they received them and sent me a text saying they were processing whichever week but i have not yet heard anything back and im due to start maternity leave in less than a week and that you have plenty of time yet to hear back from them. but now that i see others have received confirmation i wonder if there is a reason i havent heard about my own.

awe that is so lovely.

Jodee you still have a few weeks yet so I wouldn't be too worried. If you received a text, you know they got your forms. What is your due date? I believe they process them in order of either due date or mat leave beginning usually.

I sent mine in around 3 weeks ago and got confirmation in the post today that I've been approved. The letter was brief but said there'd be more information to follow.

I'm due 16th and mat leave is starting 8th.
    kylith wrote: »

awe that is so lovely kylith

• Advertisement

sorry my posts seem to have gotten a bit confused up there.

has everyone the hospital bag sorted now? or am i the only crazy one

Threepeas, I finally finished it the other day. I just need to get some snacks, a squeezy water bottle for rinsing in the loo (first time mums, this is ESSENTIAL), and pack some clothes for me to wear home.

Still haven't worked out what baby is going to nap in downstairs. We just used the pram last time, but now we have a double buggy and it doesn't look comfy for newborn napping really so I'm probably gonna get a Moses basket.

Who still has baby shopping to do?

Girls, our babies are coming NEXT MONTH!!!!!

Threepeas, I finally finished it the other day. I just need to get some snacks, a squeezy water bottle for rinsing in the loo (first time mums, this is ESSENTIAL), and pack some clothes for me to wear home.

Still haven't worked out what baby is going to nap in downstairs. We just used the pram last time, but now we have a double buggy and it doesn't look comfy for newborn napping really so I'm probably gonna get a Moses basket.

Who still has baby shopping to do?

Girls, our babies are coming NEXT MONTH!!!!!

I have the snacks bought and eaten a few times at this stage. oh dear.
    we live in a one storey so we have a crib on wheels that we use in the living room during the day and move to our bedroom at night its ideal for us. but of no use to you i imagine. what about a travel cot if you have room some of them have changing part on top too multi functional? or a pop up cot? i know its harder if you have pets or small children already coz they need to be off the ground a bit. but would a moses basket on its stand be a little unsteady if a toddler hit off it.

threepeas wrote:
    has everyone the hospital bag sorted now? or am i the only crazy one

Yes all packed and ready to go the past couple of weeks. I do need to add in snacks and squeezy water bottle..this may be a ridiculously silly question, but are any brands of water bottle better?! e.g. more squeezy than others lol!

Thanks girls.
    I’ll give it another week or so then.
    My due date is Oct 27th but am beginning maternity leave on 1st Oct.
    I just remember the approval being a lot quicker the previous two times.
    I’m currently claiming Carers Benefit to look after my eldest so I think I’m just a bit concerned that there’s an issue with moving from one to the other.

threepeas wrote: »
    hi ladies i was on here a while ago but had to re register and changed username.
    im due 1st october.
    hope everyone is keeping well.

i came on to say jodee08 not to worry yet either because i send mine off in July and they received them and sent me a text saying they were processing whichever week but i have not yet heard anything back and im due to start maternity leave in less than a week and that you have plenty of time yet to hear back from them. but now that i see others have received confirmation i wonder if there is a reason i havent heard about my own.
    Thanks three peas. Looks like we applied at similar times!

I’ll leave it another week & then give a ring if I still hear nothing.

In answer to your hospital bag question, baby is completely sorted but I’ve a few more bits to sort for myself. Have to add some vest tops & another pair of jammie bottoms & then finalize my bathroom bag.

Having a section so snacks not relevant to me.

I also have to get to M&S and get measured for some nursing bras! I’m still wearing my usual underwires at the moment.

i have my clothes for baby and myself to wear home separate to everything else. Ill get them brought in on the last day. have no room in the bags for anything else. im sure i have way too much stuff i ran out of some of the essentials the last time and id rather have too much than too little.
    i think i am going to put the labour bag in the car tomorrow too just to have it in there.
    and i have the new car seat mastered. its fitted in the car ready to go. just waiting on the baby now. ha ha

Jodee08 im sure it said they process those claims in order of when you are starting maternity leave rather than due date maybe ours just got put into a different queue for some reason. i should be getting my letter this week anyway if im starting next week given it was in in plenty of time i will let you know when i hear.

I am so slow with the hospital bags but I almost there, feel like i am Forgetting things but can't tell what,ist find my list from last time!

Have only just rewashed all of number ones baby gros and vests so have to sort all them out.

Need to stop being so relaxed about it all and get off my bum!

Four weeks to go for me! Conscious it could be any day now though and also could be 6 weeks away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

If it makes you feel better, I've nothing packed yet.
    Up to 8 weeks to go for me. I took last week off work on holidays, I had it planned for a long time, since I remembered 32-33 weeks being tiring last time - and I was right. The baby put on so much weight in the last two weeks, I was feeling alot of pain, but it seems to have sorted itself out since last Saturday... just in time for me to go back to work.

Blood pressure is on the rise again, same as last time too, but the hospital and the doctors are not too worried about it, since I know when to escalate, and I don't have the mad excessive swelling! ;)

Also, my daughter started pre-school last week... off out into the big bad world now! I'm glad she will have some weeks to adjust to school before another major change in her life.

Hope the blood pressure stays stable for you. So far so good for mine.

Super frustrated here. Traffic was crap so I was longer (hence stiffer) than expected driving to he Coombe. Flew threw midwives and was the only chart in the box. And yet here I am nearly an hour later after literally 20 women after me have been seen. Finally gave up and asked because the seats are so uncomfortable I hurt and apparently one of the docs have it. Clearly it must be room 3 because I’ve watched room 1 and 2 docs (which I was told to sit outside) go and get new charts 4-5 times each since. Pissed. Hurry the hell up so I can go home. No protein, no high BP so this is just painful

Edit: and the doc in room 1 that I asked about my chart just fecked off for coffee. Great.

Edit 2: Eventually got seen, turns out there was a med student in with the doc so I'm guessing they were doing reviews in between every patient. I was super grumpy, the coombe chairs are not comfortable! All is well though. GP next week and back in two weeks for another growth scan and review

Oh mirrorwall that wait sounds torturous. I remember on my last pregnancy closer I got to due date and over due the longer I would be left waiting not in that hospital though. I m thought they were hoping I'd go into labour and be gone to delivery so they wouldn't have to see me ha ha. At least all is well.

Entrophy7 it's good to have the break hope you got a bit of a recharge. I took a few half days recently to break up the week I don't know how people do it to the end. But I suppose it depends on how the pregnancy has gone. I'm really feeling it myself now and blame the lack of food over the past few months. When I do feel like eating then it's only junk I crave and can't manage a dinner at all. Soon I will be back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

About the Maternity Benefit - I sent my completed mb2 form online about two weeks ago. Then Got a form in the post next day asking my employer to fill out my weekly prsi contributions.
    I scanned it and emailed it in and got confirmation last Friday that I will get the benefit. - no letter or text but a message on the mywelfare page. So remember to check that. My maternity leave starts 24th Sep as due 8th Oct.
    I did call them in between all this and although I was waiting a while they were very helpful

About the Maternity Benefit - I sent my completed mb2 form online about two weeks ago. Then Got a form in the post next day asking my employer to fill out my weekly prsi contributions.
    I scanned it and emailed it in and got confirmation last Friday that I will get the benefit. - no letter or text but a message on the mywelfare page. So remember to check that. My maternity leave starts 24th Sep as due 8th Oct.
    I did call them in between all this and although I was waiting a while they were very helpful

Thanks Weatherrocks. Think I'll give them a call today while I'm in work.

Thanks weatherrocks I sent it all off the old fashioned way. Was quite surprised when I got the text actually.
    Have just had a look in there to my account and it says my claim has been awarded so I'm guessing that that's it.
    Might be the same for you too jodee08

• Advertisement

Jaysus girls how are you all gonna spend your €240 a week? Might go shopping in Milan, myself.

Jaysus girls how are you all gonna spend your €240 a week? Might go shopping in Milan, myself.

I didn't actually know it went up from the 235 so got a little surprise earlier when I looked. Mind you i think it was about 270 the last time I was on mat leave.

threepeas wrote: »
    I didn't actually know it went up from the 235 so got a little surprise earlier when I looked. Mind you i think it was about 270 the last time I was on mat leave.

Its the fact that it's taxed which really bothers me. We are only getting it because we've paid enough into the system - we wouldn't be eligible otherwise.

Meanwhile the dole is also around €240, but no tax to be paid, and is usually accompanied by housing benefits, a medical card, back to school allowance and various other top ups.

Working women who take maternity leave are worse off than those on the dole FFS.

Oh yes that's right last time I was on mat leave it wasn't taxable. On the bright side won't be paying any tax on 240 a week if your work aren't topping up the payment. Won't have any problem spending it though I don't think money goes no where now.

Feeling really good this evening for the first time in ages! Physically wrecked but I'm in a lovely positive mindframe. Starting back to work last week has been really tough but I love my job and we had a really good day today and my class are starting to settle. One of my students has Down syndrome and autism and it can be quite challenging to meet his needs, and today he was trying to lift up my top to find the baby, soooo cute! It would melt your heart! we had our last antenatal class yesterday and I'm feeling prepared and realistic, and overall like it really happening soon. I feel like all I've done is moan and whinge in this group so thought I'd share my momentary happiness lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement