Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

Ah a day to yourself is bliss, enjoy it!!! Some days I wish we had our boy in a creche just so I can laze around.

Would anyone risk a wee trip elsewhere in Ireland at this stage? I've 4 weeks to go and am desperate to get up to Belfast for a bit of help with the toddler from my parents. They live around a 2.5 hour drive away from where we are in Dublin. Hmmmmmmm.

I would hate to do a 2.5 hour car journey in labour. No way they can come to you? Or have you any friends that or your partner to take the toddler for a few hours. It's very hard. I know when I was expecting my second my then 2year old was cutting out the naps and I used to drive and drive and drive in the hope of getting her to sleep. Rarely worked.

kylith wrote: »
    No sleep last night for me. Whatever illness is going round Himself has it and snored all night. I ended up rolling him over and using my big pillow to wedge him onto his side. Of course that meant I couldn’t get comfy. Thank gods i’m Off work and can sleep in!

No sleep here either. Probably because I stayed in bed most of yesterday sleeping on and off. This afternoon will be busy with school pick ups home work and activities so I'm hoping if I stay awake I can go to bed at a normal time and sleep at a normal time. Fingers crossed.

Hope your partner gets well very soon.

greenttc wrote: »
    The amount of times I have started posting here and gotten distracted!!

I'm in the no sleeping camp with the rest of you, was awake for hours last night, think I had eaten too much and there just wasn't enough room for the food and I felt uncomfortable, add in pain turning with the spd And then all the hip pain from lying on my side...... 2 weeks to go!!!!!!

I can't wait till the bump is out if the way and I can lie more on my front, it is going to be bliss!! Can't wait to be able to just move properly!!!

Today is the first day I have really had to myself I feel, sitting on the couch here, eating some crisps for breakfast and watching last night's big brother. Wee man is in the creche till 1 and I still have the baby bag to pack but it is not happening today, just no!!!

I can't wait to not be pregnant anymore to sleep on front too. But also just to feel normal again. Feel like I have not had a full Normal day since last year. One problem goes to be replaced with another.

My bag is packed with weeks but sure no such luck that it would be needed! Maybe make a list of what u need and get it online. At least it will be job done then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

threepeas wrote: »
    I would hate to do a 2.5 hour car journey in labour. No way they can come to you? Or have you any friends that or your partner to take the toddler for a few hours. It's very hard. I know when I was expecting my second my then 2year old was cutting out the naps and I used to drive and drive and drive in the hope of getting her to sleep. Rarely worked.

I've been told to expect a fast labour, so if anything happened I think baby would be be I g born in Belfast to be honest! I will probably stay put but just would really like a little respite. All my friends are yet to hit the baby stage and are working full-time so it's just me and the wee mad man for now! Thankfully he still naps for an hour each day - it must've been so tough doing the pregnancy and newborn days with a toddler who won't nap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The sleep thing sucks, I distinctly remember getting significantly better sleep after the baby arrived (this is a bit dependent on you being a good napper-my sister isn't and the newborn phase is horrible for her). Baby has definitely moved here so I'm uncomfortable in a whole new way, (TMI) shooting pains in my ass anyone? And I'm not convinced he's head down, if he is his hands or feet are jammed beside it in my cervix-lovely!

I did my last journey to the inlaws this weekend (35+5). We shared the driving but its a big comfortable car so it was ok yet. TBH though we would have gone to Castlebar if I had gone into labour, definitely not hit the road to Dublin! Can you bring your file from the hospital just on the off chance? I got a bucket ton of naptime down there, the help really is great

I've been told to expect a fast labour, so if anything happened I think baby would be be I g born in Belfast to be honest! I will probably stay put but just would really like a little respite. All my friends are yet to hit the baby stage and are working full-time so it's just me and the wee mad man for now! Thankfully he still naps for an hour each day - it must've been so tough doing the pregnancy and newborn days with a toddler who won't nap!

It was hard. Especially when the baby got colic. But it's all a blur now. And here we are again so it can't have been too bad really.

If you are into stats there's a probability of labour thing online and really only 50% chance of being born before week 40 and less before that. And I mean if you aren't worried about having the baby in a different hospital it might be good to get the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Oh my god it feels like this baby is trying to burrow its way out through my pelvis with its head. Oooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

greenttc wrote:
    Oh my god it feels like this baby is trying to burrow its way out through my pelvis with its head. Oooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!

SNAP!!! My husband keeps jumping with the squeals out of me!!! How many weeks are you? I'm 36w, can I expect this for the next 4weeks??

Me too. Horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

I have my 36 week app 2moro has anyone has this one yet and has it been any different to the rest!? Just wondering if birth plans will be discussed at any stage like I havent been asked about any preferences yet! I am back in the land of the living today, I got an awful dose of diarrhea yday which lasted until early hours today, not sure if it was a bug or something I ate but holy God it was rough :( the cramps were so bad I thought maybe it was the start of labour.. and also for anyone on Galfer tablets too it was horrendous with those! Hopefully it's gone now.. cant wait to see how baby is progressing tomorrow

• Advertisement

Orange369 wrote: »
    I have my 36 week app 2moro has anyone has this one yet and has it been any different to the rest!? Just wondering if birth plans will be discussed at any stage like I havent been asked about any preferences yet! I am back in the land of the living today, I got an awful dose of diarrhea yday which lasted until early hours today, not sure if it was a bug or something I ate but holy God it was rough :( the cramps were so bad I thought maybe it was the start of labour.. and also for anyone on Galfer tablets too it was horrendous with those! Hopefully it's gone now.. cant wait to see how baby is progressing tomorrow

Oh god sounds awful hope you are feeling better. Had the appointment no birth plan was discussed. I don't have one anyway. Trying not to think of it. Denial or what.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    SNAP!!! My husband keeps jumping with the squeals out of me!!! How many weeks are you? I'm 36w, can I expect this for the next 4weeks??

Maybe baby is heading for the exit. So exciting. I have barely had a twinge.

Oh god sounds awful hope you are feeling better. Had the appointment no birth plan was discussed. I don't have one anyway. Trying not to think of it. Denial or what.

Thanks, feeling a bit better now I have stuck to very plain foods all day today.. I dont really have a birth plan either as such just follow a group on FB and everyone on there seems to have something written down! I kinda just want as calm as possible, no pethadine as I dont like the sound of its effects, I will take the epidural for sure! Also want skin to skin straight away if possible and my partner doesnt want to cut the cord as he is very anti blood needles etc lol.. But sure on the day I dont think it matters once baby get here safe the plans wont matter

Thanks, feeling a bit better now I have stuck to very plain foods all day today.. I dont really have a birth plan either as such just follow a group on FB and everyone on there seems to have something written down! I kinda just want as calm as possible, no pethadine as I dont like the sound of its effects, I will take the epidural for sure! Also want skin to skin straight away if possible and my partner doesnt want to cut the cord as he is very anti blood needles etc lol.. But sure on the day I dont think it matters once baby get here safe the plans wont matter

The first time I had the epidural, second time I had gas and air. This time I will probably have everything! I think every hospital does it slightly different with the birth plan anyway so Have a chat with them at the appointment anyway and see. The hospital I'm attending doesn't have facility to water birth or mlu or early transfer or any of that I hear about on here so none of that is affecting my non existent birth plan. If my labour drags on I'm happy to have the epidural and wait it out. If it goes fast so be it.
    Oh definitely stick to the bland foods for a few days hopefully it will pass soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

I’ve just had my 38week(?!) appointment today with the GP. There has been no mention of birth plans yet but I have a sheet in my hospital notes to put my preferences in it. I’m in the MLU though so it may be different for consultant lead?

I am 38 weeks so I suppose this is prime burrowing time!

Don't remember feeling it as much as this on my first baby, they are all different though!

I don't have a birth plan, don't think there is too much point for me as it all went out the window last time, in holles Street I think they just let you bring it up with the Midwife or doctor rather than them starting the discussion

I never had any birth preferences discussed on my first baby. I just wrote a few things down and showed them to the midwife when I got to delivery ward.

This time I'm not even going to bother because I know there's not much point ha!

Threepeas, I totally hear you on the denial. I have been actively avoiding thinking about most things, but am starting to get pretty scared now about everything- the labour, the newborn weeks, the recovery and sleep deprivation, the feeding. I also still have stuff to organise around the house (I don't even have anywhere to put the baby clothes, they're all still in a plastic bag. And the co sleeper etc are still in storage and need washing and to be set up), but seem to have no will to do any of it. It's definitely all contributing to my insomnia!

Orange369 wrote:
    I have my 36 week app 2moro has anyone has this one yet and has it been any different to the rest!? Just wondering if birth plans will be discussed at any stage like I havent been asked about any preferences yet!

At my appt on Friday in the midwife clinic we discussed the birth preference I had written down, and I was 35w5d (or is it 6d? I was 36w on the Sunday but somehow I still don't know how to count the days!)

She went through all that I had written which is just a list of bullet points, all ending with 'if possible.' It was good to discuss it as I had put down that I want a natural delivery of the placenta without the injection that speeds it up, and she explained two reasons why that might not be possible, although they'll stick to it if they can. It was good to know this in advance of the birth, because even though I trust that they'll only act in the best interests of the baby, it's still good to be informed as to what could lead them to deviate from my preference.

She addressed everything else too but that was just one good thing I took from it.
    threepeas wrote:
    Maybe baby is heading for the exit. So exciting. I have barely had a twinge.

I bloody hope so lol! Fanny Daggers in the extreme!

I never had any birth preferences discussed on my first baby. I just wrote a few things down and showed them to the midwife when I got to delivery ward.

This time I'm not even going to bother because I know there's not much point ha!

Threepeas, I totally hear you on the denial. I have been actively avoiding thinking about most things, but am starting to get pretty scared now about everything- the labour, the newborn weeks, the recovery and sleep deprivation, the feeding. I also still have stuff to organise around the house (I don't even have anywhere to put the baby clothes, they're all still in a plastic bag. And the co sleeper etc are still in storage and need washing and to be set up), but seem to have no will to do any of it. It's definitely all contributing to my insomnia!

I like to be organised it's just my nature but found the tiredness a bit of a killer. Maybe try and give yourself one thing to focus on each day. So tomorrow the bed. The next day the basic clothing essentials. Break it down to small tasks and don't be tempted to over do it because then you will be wrecked and won't go near it again for a week.

Do u have room for a small hanging rail for the baby clothes? You can get kind of fabric shelves that strap on to the top of that then for the babygros to go in and nappies and stuff. And you would be able to take it away to the new house. Save you living out of bags. Not sure if I've explained that right.

I'm really dreading the labour and I don't really have reason to other than the fact that this baby is estimated to be much bigger than my last two. I'm not worried about the newborn stage or the tiredness, what gets done gets done your little boy won't remember that he was watching cartoons while you found your feet.

I am bottle feeding though so Id say that does make a difference because I'll buy in the ready made milk for the really rough days. Try and make it as easy on yourself as you can. Ready meals, grocery deliveries, etc. You can get lovely healthy ready meals now from delis to throw in the oven it's doesn't have to be microwave meals.

• Advertisement

threepeas wrote:
    Do u have room for a small hanging rail for the baby clothes? You can get kind of fabric shelves that strap on to the top of that then for the babygros to go in and nappies and stuff. And you would be able to take it away to the new house. Save you living out of bags. Not sure if I've explained that right.

That's a good idea, or if you dont have space for a rail those plastic set of 3 drawers could be handy too and usually around 15euro in Mr Price or Dealz. Nappies, wipes and cream in one drawer, bibs and muslins in another, and vests and babygros in the third..could work as a temporary measure before you move.

Cash_Q, do you mind me asking why you want to avoid the injection for the delivery of the placenta?

Threepeas, thanks for the advice. I think I'll make a list tomorrow of all the jobs i need to do, as I keep forgetting. Hadn't even thought about the meals! Unfortunately we don't have a freezer as that would be so handy for the toddler's meals. He is fussy. I must start an online shopping order actually, as I usually just go to the local Lidl most days (I'm walking past it every day with the buggy) and buy stuff as we go.

I must admit, I'm quite envious of the formula-feeding mums in the early days! Breastfeeding is ultimately so worth it in my opinion, but it's so hard at the beginning and it's one of my biggest worries with a demanding one year old to simultaneously balance. I'm sure I will manage somehow.

And then there's the house move in November! Aaaaarghhhhh. Help!!!!!

Girls I went to bed at 8.30 but been lying here for early 2.5 hours now unable to sleep, hence being back online.

Commiserations on all the fanny head butts you're experiencing. My fine china is actually faring fairly well for now!

Cash_Q, do you mind me asking why you want to avoid the injection for the delivery of the placenta?

One of the midwives told us that the medication used can affect breast milk supply, and a colleague told me that she found it made her really drowsy and affected her recovery. On her third child (in the 1990s) she learned she didn't have to have it and felt it was much better recovery without it. The other reason I feel I just don't need it; our bodies are made to do this so why have any medication put into us unnecessarily. It will take longer to deliver than with the injection but I'd rather try. (Probably smacks of first timer naivety :P )

Midwife said that of course if there is serious bleeding they'll have to give the injection to speed it up which I understand, and also depending on what pain relief given in the second stage it may be necessary as the body just needs help to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

One of the midwives told us that the medication used can affect breast milk supply, and a colleague told me that she found it made her really drowsy and affected her recovery. On her third child (in the 1990s) she learned she didn't have to have it and felt it was much better recovery without it. The other reason I feel I just don't need it; our bodies are made to do this so why have any medication put into us unnecessarily. It will take longer to deliver than with the injection but I'd rather try. (Probably smacks of first timer naivety :P )

Midwife said that of course if there is serious bleeding they'll have to give the injection to speed it up which I understand, and also depending on what pain relief given in the second stage it may be necessary as the body just needs help to deliver it.

This is interesting, the Coombe gave me a birth plan template (when i was still in midwifery led clinic) asking if I’d like a medically managed third stage or not which I believe refers to whether you get this injection or not. I don’t think I have a choice because of my medical history with the last labour also I’m having a section this time most likely so I think I need to get the injection but it’s interesting she felt better in recovery without it.

My only objection to it is that it makes you projectile vomit!! Although with all the vomiting you do in labour, what's another bout of it I suppose! Was talking to a Domino midwife about it recently. She said that, as they're all about minimal intervention, they never used to give it. However, their rates of heavy bleeds and post-partum haemorrhage were noticeably higher than the general labour ward's rates, which obviously would hugely affect your recovery and how you feel in the days and weeks postpartum, so they changed their policy and they saw a marked difference.

Think I'd rather have a big puke than the increased risk of haemorrhage so I'll have it again.

Does anyone have any plans for the last few weeks pre-baby?

Cameoette wrote:
    This is interesting, the Coombe gave me a birth plan template (when i was still in midwifery led clinic) asking if I’d like a medically managed third stage or not which I believe refers to whether you get this injection or not. I don’t think I have a choice because of my medical history with the last labour also I’m having a section this time most likely so I think I need to get the injection but it’s interesting she felt better in recovery without it.

Im also with the Coombe; one midwife said you need to ask that the injection is not administered otherwise it's just routine, while another said you'd be asked first. Same advice about delayed cord clamping, so if it's something you want it's worth popping into your birth preferences. I think it's so important to remember that everything and anything can happen though, hence I added 'if possible' to each of my bullet points listed, as I don't want to be beating myself up if anything doesn't do to plan...baby is in charge and what will be will be.

I would have thought with a section that the placenta is removed after the baby? So therefore you wouldn't need an injection? My understanding is that the injection speeds up the contractions needed to deliver the placenta, but if a surgeon removes yours as part of the section then there's certainly no need for an injection is there?

Just to add the whole idea of things being done to 'speed up' delivery is concerning to me. I understand there's a limited amount of beds and they're in demand, but interventions shouldn't be used unless in the best interests of baby and mother.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that the injection works more on the placenta itself- the placenta is huge (wait til you see it, you'll be shocked!) and is fairly firmly attached to the uterine wall. When it comes away, it leave lots and lots of open, leaking blood vessels. The chemical in the injection works on these blood vessels by helping them to seal up more quickly - hence the reduced risk of post-partum haemorrhage. A faster delivery of the placenta is a welcome side-effect of this, but the faster delivery is not the primary objective of administering the injection- the reduced risk of haemorrhaging is.

That's how it was explained to me, but perhaps I got it wrong.

Of course we are designed to deliver this naturally ourselves, and usually our bodies do a good job of it. But post-partum haemorrhage was a very common cause of death in childbirth up until only a couple of generations ago.

Just my understanding of it, anyway!

I nearly lost the plot when I saw the injection in my birth record because I initially misread it as being administered in labour( my labour was 1hr 6). I was like WTF do you mean you gave me something to speed it up without telling me ? Lol. Having said that I’m ok with it now.

On the other hand skin to skin didn’t really happen the last time although I had requested it for either me or my husband but everything was a bit chaotic. I’d like that this time

Ah mirrorwall, the skin to skin is just the most magical moment after delivery. I did have it in my birth plan last time, along with delayed cord clamping, but apparently both of these are standard practice in Holles St now.

Just make sure they give him a bit of a wipe before they flop him onto your chest, LOL! That gunk they come out covered in really is something else!!

Ah mirrorwall, the skin to skin is just the most magical moment after delivery. I did have it in my birth plan last time, along with delayed cord clamping, but apparently both of these are standard practice in Holles St now.

Just make sure they give him a bit of a wipe before they flop him onto your chest, LOL! That gunk they come out covered in really is something else!!

Yeah, my husband ended up being walked through dressing him etc while I was being stitched/third stage and coming out of distress. Didn’t get proper skin to skin until the ward when his temps were dropping. Looking back his apgars were fine and my husband should have gotten the skin to skin. But as I say, no one expected me to be that fast so I think it was more oversight than anything

Think I'd rather have a big puke than the increased risk of haemorrhage so I'll have it again.
    Hadn't heard about the big puke lol! Yeah I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages to everything and I'm totally open to taking the medical advice on the day.
    That's how it was explained to me, but perhaps I got it wrong.

I more than likely have if wrong-er lol! We only take in so much at the antenatal classes and every midwife will miss bits or focus in on different areas so that's good to have some more information on it.

As for plans for the last few weeks - heading to school for a handover meeting now and feel I'll truly forget about the place once that's done. I have a few diy jobs to dictate to my ever obliging brother, meeting a few friends next week and have a fair few appointments coming up so hoping the weeks will pass quickly.

I could have sworn baby was about to pop out of me when getting up for the bathroom at 3am, felt so low down I couldn't stand straight and was walking like John Wayne...it's gonna be an uncomfortable few weeks if it stays like this. Bump doesn't actually look like anything has dropped though and still feeling plenty of kicks in the ribs and lungs lol. In fairness I'm clinging to any sign at all and deciding baby is about to pop!

• Advertisement

Cash did you do a gentle birth course, you sound like you did as you are so well up in your knowledge of no interventions.

I think ill be going for that injection too, I am all for as little intervention as possible but I can't get my head around the advantages of not having the injection and to me it seems more beneficial to have it. I know I will just want everything to be finished as soon as possible once this baby comes out so if an injection helps get that placenta out quicker it's all good for me. The preventing excess bleeding sounds good to me too, can't say I felt pukey at all with it, all I remember is shaking a huge amount as adrenaline kicked in but that wasn't linked to the injection I don't think!

So not looking forward to labour either, definitely not a walk in the park but I think the best thing to keep thinking is that it lasts for a finite amount of time, there is an end to the pain and every contraction brings you closer to it. Thats the only thing that got me through!

Definitely struggling with names here too, just don't have time to sit and think about them and discuss them, we do have one boy one on mind but it is slightly unusual, I really like it but worry a little that other people will be raising their eyebrows when they hear it. I know I shouldn't care what other people think but that is hard advice to follow!!!

I'm torn on some of the gentle birth stuff but it could just be because I find the facebook group a little too anti intervention for my taste-the first question always seems to be "why would you get induced" etc rather than answering the query if you get me. I'm using the tracks though and I also have a free subscription to Calm running until October. I didn't have time for any pain medication (except gas and air which was awful-asthma!) on the first so I'm hoping maybe some of the stuff will help

Heart attack letter this morning for me, illness benefit rejected because I'm already on Maternity benefit. Eh clearly I'm not wtf?! Anyways onto maternity benefit and they finally have the correct dates from the employer and say its an admin error just ring illness benefit at 10. Fingers crossed because I told payroll it was fine to reduce my paycheque-eeeeeeek!!

greenttc wrote:
    Cash did you do a gentle birth course, you sound like you did as you are so well up in your knowledge of no interventions.

No I started to read 'Birth Matters' by Ina May Gaskin but haven't picked it up in months. I do yoga once a week and the teacher had her third baby at the start of the year with minimal intervention and everything she says about her experience appeals to me. Also all the staff involved in the antental classes at the coombe were very positive in terms of active birth, alternatives to medications etc so that's given me great confidence in them. I just feel that humans have done this since the dawn of time without medical intervention so if I can avoid it I will. But I am totally completely open to all and any advice from the professionals on the day, I've never done this before whereas they do it day in day out, so I'm happy to go with the flow. I have friends who went in seeking an epidural at the earliest stage, one of whom it didn't work for; I'd hate to be convincing myself that I'm dependant on the epidural to cope because where would it leave me if it doesn't work. I am trusting my body to do what it was made for :)

(Again I'm sure that reeks of first time mother naivety :P )

Yeah i did the gentle birth vourse on my last baby and thought the weekend was great for both me and husband to do together somwe weere on the same page and he understood everything. Was good to get an overview of the different hospital policies too. Have to say the tracks were not for me at all, im just not that kind of person i discovered and in terms of intervention, well, i feel like i am fairly clued in when it comes to medical stuff and already know to speak up when i want to but i think we can probably go too far by refusing everything outright. Its really good to be informed though and to have learned the reason behind everything so that i could make my own decision.

Had an induction last time and then natural birth with no pain relief at all which is not something i chose, just the way it worked out,would love an epidurl this time but equally think it would be nuveto have a shower and be able to move around straight after so ill just see how things re going and take it as it happens.

Dont think you are being naive at all cash,it is good to have your plan in your head and it certainky made me more confident facing into labour the last time and anyway you are clever enough to realise that it might all go out the window too,prepared for all eventualities!!! Whatever happens it will happen and we will all get through it

Yeah greenttc it is very important to me to be well informed. A friend chose not to do any antenatal classes or reading etc and I believe it went against her. Obviously labour is out of our control in many ways, but a positive mindset, breathing, even awareness of music and lighting, can have such a positive impact on the hormones required for labour. Without that knowledge, I feel she panicked and was anxious throughout, leading to a horrendous labour and delivery that lasted 24+ hours. Yes it could have happened the way it did anyway, even if she was at educated as possible, but I just feel knowledge is power!

Mirrorwall14 how did the gas and air affect your asthma? My asthma generally isn't bad unless I have a cold but I don't want to aggravate it in labour using gas and air...

Yeah greenttc it is very important to me to be well informed. A friend chose not to do any antenatal classes or reading etc and I believe it went against her. Obviously labour is out of our control in many ways, but a positive mindset, breathing, even awareness of music and lighting, can have such a positive impact on the hormones required for labour. Without that knowledge, I feel she panicked and was anxious throughout, leading to a horrendous labour and delivery that lasted 24+ hours. Yes it could have happened the way it did anyway, even if she was at educated as possible, but I just feel knowledge is power!

Mirrorwall14 how did the gas and air affect your asthma? My asthma generally isn't bad unless I have a cold but I don't want to aggravate it in labour using gas and air...

I found it hard to breathe with it but tbf that may not have been the asthma. My labour was incredibly intense, they had me taking my ventolin inhaler to slow the contractions they were so hard and fast. I wasn't really coping and the gas/air was both distracting and disconcerting in my case

I found it hard to breathe with it but tbf that may not have been the asthma. My labour was incredibly intense, they had me taking my ventolin inhaler to slow the contractions they were so hard and fast. I wasn't really coping and the gas/air was both distracting and disconcerting in my case

Ok thanks good to know, I must ask about it next time I'm with the midwife clinic.

Hopefully it won't be as intense for you this time around!

Ok thanks good to know, I must ask about it next time I'm with the midwife clinic.

Hopefully it won't be as intense for you this time around!

I know I had checked before hand and most asthmatics are fine with it. However they did specifically remind me to bring my inhalers which I did

Feckin gas and air! I was so cross with it when I got to delivery room for the long-promised holy grail that is gas and air! I found that it did precisely nothing to ease the pain, and was angry with them as I felt they were just telling me to suck on it to shut me up lol. I was sure it was just a pathetic attempt to distract me and keep me quiet, and did nothing for pain relief. I was really demented and out of control at this stage though. Maybe I was too far advanced in labour or didn't try it for long enough, though!

Feckin gas and air! I was so cross with it when I got to delivery room for the long-promised holy grail that is gas and air! I found that it did precisely nothing to ease the pain, and was angry with them as I felt they were just telling me to suck on it to shut me up lol. I was sure it was just a pathetic attempt to distract me and keep me quiet, and did nothing for pain relief. I was really demented and out of control at this stage though. Maybe I was too far advanced in labour or didn't try it for long enough, though!

Ha ha, that was me too!! I had been begging for pain relief for an hour and had been tied to the monitor because they wouldn't give me anything until he was doing better (I was still 0cm but contracting like crazy). They finally decided to move me to labour room to get gas and air and see if things would calm down. Got there and I was like "THIS"? "This is all it is" "Its bloody crap"....

Still don't know how much I said out loud versus in my head in that hour :eek::D

• Advertisement

I'm so annoyed with my employer. I was signed off sick on 12th. They only pay two weeks sick pay anyway, and the first three days are unpaid. However HR are saying that those first three days take me to within 4 weeks of my due date, and thus they are going to make me take maternity leave early rather than put me on sick leave. They don't top up maternity, so this way they pay nothing at all.

My mat leave doesn't start til 8th October, so I would be essentially losing three weeks mat leave. If baby is two weeks late, I'll have used up six weeks of leave before he even arrives, and only have 20 weeks leave for after the baby arrives.

Its a British company and this is indeed allowable in the UK (where they get 39 weeks mat leave anyway), so I've challenged it and rang workplace relations, who said they can't find any legislation saying employer can make you go on mat leave early. But HR are adamant.

Really really unimpressed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No I started to read 'Birth Matters' by Ina May Gaskin but haven't picked it up in months. I do yoga once a week and the teacher had her third baby at the start of the year with minimal intervention and everything she says about her experience appeals to me. Also all the staff involved in the antental classes at the coombe were very positive in terms of active birth, alternatives to medications etc so that's given me great confidence in them. I just feel that humans have done this since the dawn of time without medical intervention so if I can avoid it I will. But I am totally completely open to all and any advice from the professionals on the day, I've never done this before whereas they do it day in day out, so I'm happy to go with the flow. I have friends who went in seeking an epidural at the earliest stage, one of whom it didn't work for; I'd hate to be convincing myself that I'm dependant on the epidural to cope because where would it leave me if it doesn't work. I am trusting my body to do what it was made for :)

(Again I'm sure that reeks of first time mother naivety :P )

Oh gosh, not at all.I've had all three with no intervention.Well if you count sweeps on the second and third (and I had already been having contractions for a good fortnight by time the sweeps came around!!)and a bit of assistance from the midwife to pull out no..3, that's it.Gas and air works for me.It doesn't necessarily take away all the pain towards the end, but it takes me out of my mind essentially, allowing me to cope with just moving, groaning and positioning myself as needed (without giving a f&$k what i look like!!!)Pain becomes more of a dull ache at the end.

I went in with an open mind on my first.I felt I was more scared of having a needle in my back, than having a baby, so I basically decided that the epidural just wasn't an option for me.I cannot recommend enough having your baby upright.It is a great experience (so far as it can be), and gravity is your friend in the whole process.Don't be afraid of the pain, just run with it, do what you have to do deal with it and accept it as something your body has to do (and knows how to do) to get the baby out.The Rotunda staff were fab for just letting me at it, I can't praise them enough.There's no experience like it....none.

I'm so annoyed with my employer. I was signed off sick on 12th. They only pay two weeks sick pay anyway, and the first three days are unpaid. However HR are saying that those first three days take me to within 4 weeks of my due date, and thus they are going to make me take maternity leave early rather than put me on sick leave. They don't top up maternity, so this way they pay nothing at all.

My mat leave doesn't start til 8th October, so I would be essentially losing three weeks mat leave. If baby is two weeks late, I'll have used up six weeks of leave before he even arrives, and only have 20 weeks leave for after the baby arrives.

Its a British company and this is indeed allowable in the UK (where they get 39 weeks mat leave anyway), so I've challenged it and rang workplace relations, who said they can't find any legislation saying employer can make you go on mat leave early. But HR are adamant.

Really really unimpressed.

Can you ring Maternity Benefit Section in Donegal? They were happy to provide the correct start date in writing for me for when my employers were being asses. Do you have a union?

Can you ring Maternity Benefit Section in Donegal? They were happy to provide the correct start date in writing for me for when my employers were being asses. Do you have a union?

No union, no. I've rang Workplace Relations and my husband has spoken to a colleague who is an employment solicitor- both of whom confirmed that they can't make me take mat leave early because I'm sick. I will give maternity benefit a call tomorrow and see if I can get a third source! If I can get something in writing from several places then hopefully they'll listen.

They're a British company and just go Anglocentric. Seem to think that Ireland is just a region of the UK and never have a clue about Irish things, whether it's tax or maternity or employment law differences. Ughhh.

No union, no. I've rang Workplace Relations and my husband has spoken to a colleague who is an employment solicitor- both of whom confirmed that they can't make me take mat leave early because I'm sick. I will give maternity benefit a call tomorrow and see if I can get a third source! If I can get something in writing from several places then hopefully they'll listen.

They're a British company and just go Anglocentric. Seem to think that Ireland is just a region of the UK and never have a clue about Irish things, whether it's tax or maternity or employment law differences. Ughhh.

Yeah thats definitely a UK thing, not Irish. Eejits. I also got confirmation from the Dept of Education about my dates so maybe the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation may be able to confirm for you too

Goodness the stress of it all. I do actually think I read somewhere before that if you take sick leave before maternity they could make you start early maybe it was on the old forms or something but if an employment lawyer has confirmed it it must have changed or I imagined it. Hope you get sorted soon

Thats so awful that your job are trying to do that:( not fair at all!! Anyone that applied for illness benefit were u waiting for long to receive it or confirmation letter? I sent my forms in last Tuesday so only a week today but haven't heard anything yet.. Does anyone know how long it takes?

As far as the maternity section told me they only process claims a week in advance.. Just confusion with 2 different claims going in, hopefully it all works out

Thats so awful that your job are trying to do that:( not fair at all!! Anyone that applied for illness benefit were u waiting for long to receive it or confirmation letter? I sent my forms in last Tuesday so only a week today but haven't heard anything yet.. Does anyone know how long it takes?

As far as the maternity section told me they only process claims a week in advance.. Just confusion with 2 different claims going in, hopefully it all works out

I don't know about illness benefit but I sent the maternity form at least 6 weeks in advance. I had started maternity leave before I got official confirmation that I was going to receive it.
    I think there is usually a delay with the social welfare payments by the time they get set up but they back pay to the date you have claimed from as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Hi all

Just wondering could anyone answer my query... I have private health insurance with VHI but I am a public patient. My policy covers private rooms in my hospital. Am I entitled to a private room in the hospital even though I'm a public patient?

Thank you

• Advertisement

I don't know about illness benefit but I sent the maternity form at least 6 weeks in advance. I had started maternity leave before I got official confirmation that I was going to receive it.
    I think there is usually a delay with the social welfare payments by the time they get set up but they back pay to the date you have claimed from as far as I know.

Thanks a mill for that, I get paid monthly by my job and will be weekly from SW so its just getting into a new routine of managing our money I suppose! It will take a month or two for it to be regular, my job are disasters with payroll and one mistake I have to wait until the next month for it to be fixed

Advertisement