Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

Orange369 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that, I get paid monthly by my job and will be weekly from SW so its just getting into a new routine of managing our money I suppose! It will take a month or two for it to be regular, my job are disasters with payroll and one mistake I have to wait until the next month for it to be fixed

It's always that overlap part that is annoying for money management but I suppose the comfort is knowing the money is actually coming. Eventually. Not much comfort to people if they are living on the last few euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

threepeas wrote: »
    It's always that overlap part that is annoying for money management but I suppose the comfort is knowing the money is actually coming. Eventually. Not much comfort to people if they are living on the last few euro though.

Totally agree with this. My illness benefit was messed up and I got nothing for 3 weeks. Some problem with new forms or something. Luckily we dont rely on money every week but I know alot of ppl that do and I would feel so sorry for them to be in that situation, especially with young kids and mortgages.

audi02 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering could anyone answer my query... I have private health insurance with VHI but I am a public patient. My policy covers private rooms in my hospital. Am I entitled to a private room in the hospital even though I'm a public patient?

Thank you

No idea you would be best confirming with the hospital.

In the hospital I'm attending if you are admitted as a private patient you are then liable for all charges as a private patient so no private room if you don't want to pay the inpatient charges.

We did go private this time and no guarantee of a private room anyway so it wasn't the deciding factor. Hopefully it will be a quick stay anyway and won't matter. I think the adrenaline of a newborn keeps us going in the first couple of days.

Oh dear goodness what a night. 3 hours tops. I am on my knees with tiredness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah Jesus you poor thing. I am right there with you. Then toddler woke at 5.45, only about half an hour after I had finally drifted off to sleep.

Why does mother nature do this to us?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No union, no. I've rang Workplace Relations and my husband has spoken to a colleague who is an employment solicitor- both of whom confirmed that they can't make me take mat leave early because I'm sick. I will give maternity benefit a call tomorrow and see if I can get a third source! If I can get something in writing from several places then hopefully they'll listen.

They're a British company and just go Anglocentric. Seem to think that Ireland is just a region of the UK and never have a clue about Irish things, whether it's tax or maternity or employment law differences. Ughhh.
    In the UK they can only make you take maternity leave early instead of sick leave if you are unwell with a pregnancy related illness after 36 weeks. They're taking the piss here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

BP borderline today and with my history my appointments are stepping up darn it. GP on Friday for a series (because the doc noticed where I live!). Perinatal Monday, clinic Wednesday and oh joys physio happens to be Thursday so I’m in the Coombe three times next week!

Ah God that's not easy with your SPD, especially when you've a decent journey into Dublin too. I hope the BP calms down for you pronto.

After losing my engagement ring months ago and being very worried about it, I've just discovered it in a cupboard while hunting for my iPod (on the off chance that I've a long enough labour for music to even matter this time). Delighted! It also still fits perfectly at 36 weeks pregnant so I've managed to avoid swelling.

Anyone ventured out in this storm yet? I'm desperate for milk, bread and loo roll, but don't wanna hurt my back pushing a buggy in those strong winds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

BP borderline today and with my history my appointments are stepping up darn it. GP on Friday for a series (because the doc noticed where I live!). Perinatal Monday, clinic Wednesday and oh joys physio happens to be Thursday so I’m in the Coombe three times next week!

That is annoying! I was there today, GP on Friday, BF consultation on Monday, Midwife clinic next Friday! At least half my appointments are local, and the Coombe isn't that far from me but it's still a pain being in and out like that! I heard the physio will sometimes accommodate you on the same day as another appointment, maybe see if you can reschedule that to the Monday or Wednesday?

Also, I had a dream last night that baby was here but for some reason had been staying with my mum the first two weeks. When I finally got him back, I went to try to feed him myself but he didn't even try to latch as he had been on the bottles. I was totally devastated not to be embarking on another beautiful BF journey with him and was super upset!

Ah god that's alot of appointments you will be worn out.
    Whats a series?

• Advertisement

Ah God that's not easy with your SPD, especially when you've a decent journey into Dublin too. I hope the BP calms down for you pronto.

After losing my engagement ring months ago and being very worried about it, I've just discovered it in a cupboard while hunting for my iPod (on the off chance that I've a long enough labour for music to even matter this time). Delighted! It also still fits perfectly at 36 weeks pregnant so I've managed to avoid swelling.

Anyone ventured out in this storm yet? I'm desperate for milk, bread and loo roll, but don't wanna hurt my back pushing a buggy in those strong winds!

Great news about the engagement ring did u have a feeling it was lost somewhere in the house? My rings still fit too they did on my last two as well and my feet are still fine but I feel this week that my face is going a bit pudgy.
    Bread milk and loo roll I wouldn't be bothered leaving the house for any of those!

That’s brilliant about the ring!!

BP series means take the Bp, then again 20 mins later and again 20 mins later. So you hang around in between. I’m really torn tbh, I’m so done with pregnancy and baby is a great size with no issues. High BP would mean they wouldn’t let me go over which I’d be happy about but it also triggers a LOT of treks to the Coombe.

Though I think I also have the confidence to tell them to F off a bit this time too. Like hospitalising me at 39 weeks the last time then saying actually sure go home we’re inducing you anyways on Monday and we won’t do it now.... but watch your blood pressure and come straight back if any symptoms. Of course there were symptoms I was stressed to the 9’s. One of the issues with BP is still birth, I was having heart attacks and it was all un necessary when I was practically full term already. Last time I was too nervous/shy to kick up a fuss and just did what I was told

Just had a kick in the bump from my one year old, so off to hospital in the morning for anti-D!

That’s brilliant about the ring!!

BP series means take the Bp, then again 20 mins later and again 20 mins later. So you hang around in between. I’m really torn tbh, I’m so done with pregnancy and baby is a great size with no issues. High BP would mean they wouldn’t let me go over which I’d be happy about but it also triggers a LOT of treks to the Coombe.

Though I think I also have the confidence to tell them to F off a bit this time too. Like hospitalising me at 39 weeks the last time then saying actually sure go home we’re inducing you anyways on Monday and we won’t do it now.... but watch your blood pressure and come straight back if any symptoms. Of course there were symptoms I was stressed to the 9’s. One of the issues with BP is still birth, I was having heart attacks and it was all un necessary when I was practically full term already. Last time I was too nervous/shy to kick up a fuss and just did what I was told

Thanks. I think all that waiting for BP to be re measured would stress me out and send it higher. Hopefully you are good at staying calm.
    Definitely understand what you are saying the more you have the more you will question what they are saying to you. And it's not a bad thing either to get clarification.

Just had a kick in the bump from my one year old, so off to hospital in the morning for anti-D!

Oh good luck hope you won't be waiting too long.

BP perfect today, go figure lol! Catrionanic hopefully all went well with the anti D this morning.

Pride comes before a fall for me, the SPD is still coming in waves so I kinda get two days or so where I'm like "maybe its not too bad, maybe he's just hanging out super low or its just RLP or something" and then today happens and I'm reminded just how bloody sore it can be on a bad day. I actually teared up in the kitchen trying to unload the washing machine and seriously stood there going 'I can just stay here until the baby comes, then it won't hurt anymore" it was so bloody sore. Now I'm in the sitting room with an icepack praying for it to calm down. FML.

Booked for reflexology in the morning though so assuming I can make it onto the table I've got that going for me lol

My friend, who has had awful SPD on two pregnancies, swears by reflexology so I hope you get some relief from it. I always found that the more I did, the worse I was - so do try to rest up. They also advise avoiding squatting etc - hence why taking washing out of the machine can be really sore. Best time, try kneeling or being on all-fours when doing laundry maybe? Or even better, get someone else to do it!

Glad BP was good though. One less worry.

Hospital was grand. They did a trace and scan and then gave me the jab. The midwife who did my trace was the one who looked after me when I was being induced on my last baby. She was so lovely in 2017 that I brought her in a card and chocolates afterwards, so it was lovely to see her again.

Awh thats really nice, I love seeing some midwives-they can really be so pleasant!

Yeah hopefully it helps. The culprit is, once again, the actual hospital visit yesterday (drive in, uncomfortable chairs, trying to alternate standing sitting etc, drive home). Washing machine is funny, haven't been able to bend to it or squat to it in a month so I go to kneeling and then have to rock back on my heels to get up. Today though that just failed miserably and by the time I got to standing I was like "Feck I totally broke my pelvis" rofl. Husbands going to have to unload it for me later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Now I'm in the sitting room with an icepack praying for it to calm down. FML.

Booked for reflexology in the morning though so assuming I can make it onto the table I've got that going for me lol

Wonder would you be better off with heat rather than cold? I would have thought heat would have relaxed everything a bit better, but suppose we all feel spd a bit differently! I have used hot water bottles to easy mine sometimes!

This baby feels like it is trying to get out tonight again. Feel some cramps too which has me a bit on edge but there is no pattern so don't think anything is happening. Back is killing too which I have never experienced before, like shooting pains but not sciatica. God its so true when they say no two pregnancies are alike, first baby was a breeze compared to this!

Think we have settled on our unusual baby boy name, so nervous about using it but would be disappointed if we didn't!

Are you going to share the name, green?

I am curious!

Still no name here.

• Advertisement

Class recommended cold packs as being better so i tend to do that for a good hour and then go have a warm bath to alternate it. I find alternating best for my wrists and it doesn’t seem to do any harm with the SPD.

Definitely no two are the same, general pain, low cramps and lower back pain this early is all new to me this time!!

We have a first name, but not second name as yet

Are you going to share the name, green?

I am curious!

Still no name here.

No name here either

Catrionanic that's great things went well and you saw a familiar midwife. Luckily I've only met lovely ones, it can really make your day!

Mirrorwall14 definitely leave the laundry to your husband now, and if it comes to it that he's too busy, get a service wash once a week that he can bring and collect from launderette. Your spd must be killer, plus the muscles are so relaxed in us all at this stage preparing for labour that it's so easy to do damage.

I'm also getting strong aches and pains in my back and period like cramps, nothing to compare them to so presume they're BH?

Greenttc dying to hear this name now I'm intrigued! We have a lot picked out and some strong contenders but nothing definite. There was one girls name I loved but got little to no reaction from his family who then all clearly favoured another name I mentioned and their reaction is sticking out in my mind. Should have just said nothing and also shouldn't care what they think but they're the baby's family too and I can't shake the lack of enthusiasm from them :P boys names we're not sure at all, we have only got about 4 that we both like and I'm not mad on any of them..I'm hoping we'll know once we see the child :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mirrorwall I confess to using an ironing service for the few weeks after nos.2&3 arrived....maybe you should consider something similar for your washing.Ours picks up and drops off....best present from me to me ever!!!

shesty wrote: »
    Mirrorwall I confess to using an ironing service for the few weeks after nos.2&3 arrived....maybe you should consider something similar for your washing.Ours picks up and drops off....best present from me to me ever!!!

Cleaners here this morning for the first time since July as the other fell through. I’m super excited tbh. Floors and bathrooms I just can’t keep on top of

Cleaners here this morning for the first time since July as the other fell through. I’m super excited tbh. Floors and bathrooms I just can’t keep on top of

I had spd on number 2 and have avoided the floors since the minute I found out this time.

Also firmly believe that outsourcing the cleaning is the best gift anyone can give themselves or their marriage at times. I do appreciate it is a luxury though. Enjoy it mirrorwall.

I had spd on number 2 and have avoided the floors since the minute I found out this time.

Also firmly believe that outsourcing the cleaning is the best gift anyone can give themselves or their marriage at times. I do appreciate it is a luxury though. Enjoy it mirrorwall.

How are you finding it this time around? Have to say it would put me off going again!

He’s a mad happy chappy, the girl who was expected has hurt her wrist. Great craic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

I am still feeling guilty about being off work so I am doing all the housework and cooking at the min! Defo overdid it with the hoover during the week and I was suffering with my back, I was even hoovers cobwebs off the ceilings and all LOL!! Now I must admit I dont iron, I only iron things as I go if needed and only doing his shirts for work since I am off work.. The dirty jobs need doing soon like oven etc going to get himself to do that as I hate the smell of the oven cleaner being pregnant and dont think its good to breathe that stuff in either..

How are you finding it this time around? Have to say it would put me off going again!

He’s a mad happy chappy, the girl who was expected has hurt her wrist. Great craic 😂

Honestly I'm fine this time. I avoided the triggers. And I had a good bit of physio after my last baby.I did the exercises religiously and Pilates weekly and there is quite a gap. It really did put me off going again but I like to think all of the above has warded it off this time. I did have three episodes where I thought oh no here we go and was on speed dial to the physio but thankfully one week to go and I'm in much better physical shape than I was on my last pregnancy.

• Advertisement

I am still feeling guilty about being off work so I am doing all the housework and cooking at the min! Defo overdid it with the hoover during the week and I was suffering with my back, I was even hoovers cobwebs off the ceilings and all LOL!! Now I must admit I dont iron, I only iron things as I go if needed and only doing his shirts for work since I am off work.. The dirty jobs need doing soon like oven etc going to get himself to do that as I hate the smell of the oven cleaner being pregnant and dont think its good to breathe that stuff in either..

Do not feel guilty. And please try not to over do it. I know its so tempting but the joints are all looser and its so much easier to over do things. Cut youraelf some slack just for a few weeks. And I do know this is way easier said than done because looking at mess drives me over the edge at times.

Halloween is coming up and the cobwebs are vital decorations. Ha ha. Seriously though is it just me or does it feel like therea loads more cobwebs this year?

Do not feel guilty. And please try not to over do it. I know its so tempting but the joints are all looser and its so much easier to over do things. Cut youraelf some slack just for a few weeks. And I do know this is way easier said than done because looking at mess drives me over the edge at times.

Halloween is coming up and the cobwebs are vital decorations. Ha ha. Seriously though is it just me or does it feel like therea loads more cobwebs this year?

Thanks its hard to get out of work routine and sitting around at home! My house sounds dirty now with the cobwebs lol but you are right they just appear out of no where! I am the same as you I find it hard to relax and just down when there are jobs need doing around the house..We put together the buggy and moses basket last night so getting there slowly! The next to me crib is still in the box, I guessing this isnt difficult to assemble!?

Ah sorry guys, don't really want to share the name, mostly just to maintain my anonymity which is what I like about the boards group. I know it's annoying though cause if it was me reading my posts I would be really curious. I shouldn't have said anything!

greenttc wrote: »
    Ah sorry guys, don't really want to share the name, mostly just to maintain my anonymity which is what I like about the boards group. I know it's annoying though cause if it was me reading my posts I would be really curious. I shouldn't have said anything!

No no don't be silly, a lot of people are the same! Especially if it's a bit unusual.... I'm just nosy!

Orange369, the Next2Me is a doddle to assemble. Only awkward bit is lifting the mattress to attach to the slats... but sure that's a man's job anyway!

Glad to hear you've done well to avoid the SPD threepeas... I was also crippled with it on my last pregnancy but have got off extremely lightly this time. Thank God, because my toddler stops for nobody!

In case we all steal it! Completely understand.

Housework, oh god, I feel like my house is filthy and it's driving me mental bit I am just not able, it's tidy but I would normally have swept and washed floors almost daily but it's just not possible and having a toddler making extra mess makes it even harder. I know it's stupid but I just can't get my head around the idea of a cleaner, a stranger going through my house and cleaning it, don't like the idea of it slightly more than I dislike the idea of a floor that needs washing! My husband does loads in fairness but nobody does it like you would do it yourself eh?

• Advertisement

I've been bouncing on the gym ball for the last 40mins I'm so bored. And lazy.
    We have all the new things put together but the boxes and packaging are still lying around need to move them to the recycling bin.

I've been bouncing on the gym ball for the last 40mins I'm so bored. And lazy.
    We have all the new things put together but the boxes and packaging are still lying around need to move them to the recycling bin.

My green bin is due out today and its jam packed full and I also left the 2 boxes off the buggy beside it, really hoping they take the extra! I left a big TV box a few months ago and they took that so fingers crossed.. We also haven't told the names either we know its a girl and have a few in mind but would rather wait until shes here as we havent fully decided yet, everyone asks and get annoyed when we dont say our ideas!! We just dont want anyones opinions would rather choose the name ourselves then just say this is it with no inputs..

I can’t share either, even family don’t know! I’d be afraid of reactions that would annoy me lol.

Passed out peacefully in reflexology again today but the back massage has definitely helped thank god. Booked next Wednesday again to feck. Nearly there. Great to hear that there’s hope if we ever decide to go again that it might not be as bad (no current plans!!)

I’m barely on top of the house tbh. We had to tidy for the cleaner to come lol. Next to me is really easy to assemble, my OH will put it up again when I’m in hospital. Everything else is nearly there now but there’s still a lot of stuff everywhere and I agree on the recycling and cobwebs!! Have tons of both lol. Not helped by Asda who just shipped six glasses to me in six INDIVIDUAL boxes?! Wtf?! And they are going to parcel wizard so it’ll cost me like 24e lol

I can’t share either, even family don’t know! I’d be afraid of reactions that would annoy me lol.

Passed out peacefully in reflexology again today but the back massage has definitely helped thank god. Booked next Wednesday again to feck. Nearly there. Great to hear that there’s hope if we ever decide to go again that it might not be as bad (no current plans!!)

I’m barely on top of the house tbh. We had to tidy for the cleaner to come lol. Next to me is really easy to assemble, my OH will put it up again when I’m in hospital. Everything else is nearly there now but there’s still a lot of stuff everywhere and I agree on the recycling and cobwebs!! Have tons of both lol. Not helped by Asda who just shipped six glasses to me in six INDIVIDUAL boxes?! Wtf?! And they are going to parcel wizard so it’ll cost me like 24e lol

I would be cancelling that order mirrorwall14!
    And I'm with you on tidying for the cleaner ha ha.

I would be cancelling that order mirrorwall14!
    And I'm with you on tidying for the cleaner ha ha.

They already shipped unfortunately!!! I wouldn’t mind but it’s the clothes I really needed fast and they still haven’t arrived but one of the fecking glasses has already !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was back in the Coombe today. Baby is still pointing the right way and is the right size. She mentioned induction and I told her that I'd rather not; she said that they only would if the size wasn't right, so we'll see how that goes.

I also got to see a midwife about hand expressing and storing some colostrum, so glad about that. She recommended I start in about another week/week and a half, and that even a few drops is great, but while you can store it in the freezer at home they'll only use 2-day-old max in the hospital, so I guess I'll have to go back and get more little bottles.

I joined the local pool last week, so I'm going to head down this afternoon and do some water-walking/floating around.

kylith wrote: »
    Was back in the Coombe today. Baby is still pointing the right way and is the right size. She mentioned induction and I told her that I'd rather not; she said that they only would if the size wasn't right, so we'll see how that goes.

I also got to see a midwife about hand expressing and storing some colostrum, so glad about that. She recommended I start in about another week/week and a half, and that even a few drops is great, but while you can store it in the freezer at home they'll only use 2-day-old max in the hospital, so I guess I'll have to go back and get more little bottles.

I joined the local pool last week, so I'm going to head down this afternoon and do some water-walking/floating around.

Hi Kylith, do you mind me asking about the advice on expressing colostrum - just wondering if this is something they advise in general to all expectant mums, or is there some specific reason you were told to do it? Only because I've not received that advice myself before so I'm wondering whether I'm missing something! How do you collect and store colostrum anyway? I remember from my last baby that you only produce a very small amount?

Thats great the baby is head down! Did they say why you would be induced? I had my 36 week check on Tuesday and I mentioned going overdue and she said its 10 or 11 days depending on availability of induction, also she said they will examine you at 41 weeks to see how suitable or not you are! Can you request getting examined earlier or being induced earlier than the 10 or 11 days?? All new to me being 1st time

Thats great the baby is head down! Did they say why you would be induced? I had my 36 week check on Tuesday and I mentioned going overdue and she said its 10 or 11 days depending on availability of induction, also she said they will examine you at 41 weeks to see how suitable or not you are! Can you request getting examined earlier or being induced earlier than the 10 or 11 days?? All new to me being 1st time

Generally not, no. They'll only induce earlier if it's medically indicated.

Inductions carry with them an increased risk of instrumental or surgical intervention, so they try to avoid them unless necessary.

You don't want an induction orange, I had one and it made everything very intense and fast, you are better off just waiting for things to happen naturally if possible. My waters had started to leak so I had no choice but have an induction and am scared of having to have one again this team. Luckily I didn't end up with any other interventions, it all happened naturally, too naturally for my liking, would have liked an epidural but there was no time!

Hi Kylith, do you mind me asking about the advice on expressing colostrum - just wondering if this is something they advise in general to all expectant mums, or is there some specific reason you were told to do it? Only because I've not received that advice myself before so I'm wondering whether I'm missing something! How do you collect and store colostrum anyway? I remember from my last baby that you only produce a very small amount?
    It seems to be because of 2 factors; I'm an old first-timer at 36, and I have gestational diabetes. The GD can lead to large babies so they are more inclined to induce, inducing can mean a greater risk of C-section, and c-section can mean that you can't feed the baby yourself so it's good to have some saved on-hand so they don't have to bottle feed while you're recovering.

Again it's down to my age and the GD. They don't like letting you go over in case the baby gets too big, which would lead to a greater risk of surgical intervention.

Do you mind me asking kylith did they tell you the size of the baby? Mine is currently bigger than my last two at birth and they were late and I'm just getting a bit anxious because no sign of this baby showing up anytime soon.

Do you mind me asking kylith did they tell you the size of the baby? Mine is currently bigger than my last two at birth and they were late and I'm just getting a bit anxious because no sign of this baby showing up anytime soon.

The baby is measuring as perfect to the date: 36+6. I have my growth scan on Monday, which should be able to give me a more accurate size, but after talking to many people it seems that eventual weight is a very tricky thing to gauge accurately.

Catrionanic I was given an information leaflet at one of the midwife checkups which highlighted various reasons that some women can have difficulty with breastfeeding, and if you tick any of the boxes you can have a consultation with the lactation consultant at the Coombe. I have an appointment on Monday as my thyroid issues may affect feeding so I'll have to express some colostrum and store it too, I presume the consultation teaches how to do this.

Other reasons that entitle mothers to the consultation are: age over 35, multiple births, previous difficulty with feeding, previous breast surgery, no breast changes in pregnancy, elective caesarean, and various endocrine problems e.g. diabetes, thyroid.

Can't remember what hospital you're attending but if you feel you'd like support to try to express in advance it would be worth asking for advice at your next checkup.

You don't want an induction orange, I had one and it made everything very intense and fast, you are better off just waiting for things to happen naturally if possible. My waters had started to leak so I had no choice but have an induction and am scared of having to have one again this team. Luckily I didn't end up with any other interventions, it all happened naturally, too naturally for my liking, would have liked an epidural but there was no time!

Yeah thats it, you are right I am just getting a little inpatient now but I know baby will come when she is ready! I felt from the start she is going to come early, I do think my bump has dropped a bit too so.hopefully all good signs.. I am hoping for an epidural myself but as you said there might not be time!

I got the cutest little Halloween babygrow in Dunnes today! Least baby will 100% be here for Halloween :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement