Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

shesty wrote: »
    Audi the day before my third was born (well that night I went into labour) a consultant scanned me and confidently told me it was a "7-8lb baby."My second was 8lb, so I mentally adjusted to expecting maybe 8.5 lb.

Little man arrived the next day via natural vaginal birth, no epidural.All 10lb6oz of him.

To say that is not exactly an accurate science is an understatement.

Ya I asked how accurate they were before out of curiosity and she said at the time the baby was 5lb and if it was born that night it would've been 5lbs yet my friend was scanned and told her baby was 6lbs 11oz yet when baby arrived 3 weeks later she was 6lbs 8oz so I know well they're not accurate.

I understand what its like for FTM going into the unknown but rest assured I had definately not prepared for my situation and it was completely fine. Just take one step at a time. And I do think its only a few days out of our whole lives that we have to go thru this, for years and years of happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I honestly think it's better not to know the baby's estimated size, unless of course you're diabetic or have had IUGR or there are other medical indications.

I'm doing midwifery-led care so have no idea of baby's size and hence am not at all worried. Even if he was big, I would be going for a vaginal delivery so knowing the size would only stress me more whilst not changing the plan! And as so many people have found, the estimate is often wildly inaccurate anyway.

First baby was 7 lb 11 at 41 weeks so hopefully this next boy will be a similar size. The bump is neat enough but who knows!

Girls, the pressure tonight is unreal. Feels like he could burst out of me. Period pains too. But husband is working in England all day tomorrow so keeping my legs crossed haha.

So what's your plan of things kick off?? Or is the wee man up north at this stage? I have loads of pressure too, feels like the burrowing is continuing, not the nicest feeling!!

God, who knows what size my baby is, I feel humongous! They told me in a thirty something week scan that it would be 7 nearly 8 pounds so same as number one but I feel like it will be way bigger! They will all come out no matter what size and I have read people say bigger was no harder than previous small babies. Gonna try not think about it!

clacla82 wrote: »
    Aw! I have so much movement but I have been scanned every week since 31 weeks and always always breech head straight up! It is all up in the air still for you so! I am 38 and a half weeks now so I can't see it happening before the section but it would be gas if baby turned just as they went to do it..

Its funny you say that because at a private scan lately the sonographer told me that it was highly unlikely my baby would turn now but she said she has seen it happen whereby a woman was bought in to be checked the day before her section and the morning of her section the baby had turned. Someday this week for you...eek thats exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

greenttc wrote: »
    So what's your plan of things kick off?? Or is the wee man up north at this stage? I have loads of pressure too, feels like the burrowing is continuing, not the nicest feeling!!

God, who knows what size my baby is, I feel humongous! They told me in a thirty something week scan that it would be 7 nearly 8 pounds so same as number one but I feel like it will be way bigger! They will all come out no matter what size and I have read people say bigger was no harder than previous small babies. Gonna try not think about it!

Plan still up in the air to be honest! My parents have come down today and will go back on Tuesday just in case anything was to happen while husband in England. They're gonna take the wee man up north on Tuesday to give me a break (I have such bad mammy guilt right now), and he will probably come back to us next weekend.

But if I go into labour while I have the toddler, my plan is just to go straight to hospital with toddler and meet husband there. He will stay with toddler and I will go it alone, if it's all as fast as I've been told to expect. If things are a bit slower, my parents will come down from Belfast and take over toddler duty when they get to Dublin.

Best outcome of all would be to labour at night though, as my sister is only 15 mins away when there's no traffic. However she works in Gorey, so she would be a long time getting from Gorey to Dublin city centre if things happened in the day.

I hope all the rumbles in the jungle mean things kick off for you very soon!

Caitriona, Don't feel guilty, easier said than done I know, but he is a lucky boy to have you around so much, far more than many other children! And he is lucky you are going through this again to give him a life long friend!

I know how you feel though I miss our wee lad when I don't see him for a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

I honestly think it's better not to know the baby's estimated size, unless of course you're diabetic or have had IUGR or there are other medical indications.

I'm doing midwifery-led care so have no idea of baby's size and hence am not at all worried. Even if he was big, I would be going for a vaginal delivery so knowing the size would only stress me more whilst not changing the plan! And as so many people have found, the estimate is often wildly inaccurate anyway.

First baby was 7 lb 11 at 41 weeks so hopefully this next boy will be a similar size. The bump is neat enough but who knows!

Girls, the pressure tonight is unreal. Feels like he could burst out of me. Period pains too. But husband is working in England all day tomorrow so keeping my legs crossed haha.

I have had so much worry re size I completely agree, I hope my little button proves them all wrong and comes out much bigger! They were giving them 5lb 10oz on Friday just gone, which would still point to a 6lb+ baby at full term. They obviously were worried about IUGR at one point but it hasn't been mentioned since. I know there's also the danger of over estimating when the baby is small but still. I'm nearly more obsessed with knowing the weight rather than the sex!

Pressure is on here too. I have weird pains between my Iegs like I ran a 10k yesterday! I am amazed at how much slower I'm getting by the day. I don't walk anymore.. I shuffle

I have had so much worry re size I completely agree, I hope my little button proves them all wrong and comes out much bigger! They were giving them 5lb 10oz on Friday just gone, which would still point to a 6lb+ baby at full term. They obviously were worried about IUGR at one point but it hasn't been mentioned since. I know there's also the danger of over estimating when the baby is small but still. I'm nearly more obsessed with knowing the weight rather than the sex!

Pressure is on here too. I have weird pains between my Iegs like I ran a 10k yesterday! I am amazed at how much slower I'm getting by the day. I don't walk anymore.. I shuffle

Same as that.... I'm just exhausted these days I'm actually in bed already. Really looking forward to a sleep where baby is beside me instead of inside me. I do find myself walking funny when I get up from sitting down. It actually hurts down there for a few mins. Not feeling any pressure though.

audi02 wrote: »
    Same as that.... I'm just exhausted these days I'm actually in bed already. Really looking forward to a sleep where baby is beside me instead of inside me. I do find myself walking funny when I get up from sitting down. It actually hurts down there for a few mins. Not feeling any pressure though.

Oh god maybe it isn't pressure, it's exactly as you say I can't walk properly after I get up from sitting down. But just feeling everything lower down more and more. And the movements are NUTS they're going to just punch their way out of my stomach at this stage, no section required.

Oh god maybe it isn't pressure, it's exactly as you say I can't walk properly after I get up from sitting down. But just feeling everything lower down more and more. And the movements are NUTS they're going to just punch their way out of my stomach at this stage, no section required.

Clacla its funny how alike our pregnancies are. Do you know what youre having? It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the birth for both of us at the end of it all. I had soo much movement last night my OH couldnt get over how my stomach was. I'm sure its turned again. At the gp in the morning so it'll be interesting to see what she says but at my last appointment she told me gps get the position wrong 50% of the time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I absolutely agree.It was the first baby they had ever mentioned size on.And I preferred not to know, it's coming out anyway.If you went in knowing it might be big it would be in your head the whole time.
    Fingers crossed for you Caitriona!

Clacla its funny how alike our pregnancies are. Do you know what youre having? It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the birth for both of us at the end of it all. I had soo much movement last night my OH couldnt get over how my stomach was. I'm sure its turned again. At the gp in the morning so it'll be interesting to see what she says but at my last appointment she told me gps get the position wrong 50% of the time

No I've no idea! I thought a girl for sure until about 24 weeks then I lost it and haven't a clue since then! What about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is there a general time limit on false labour? Been getting cramps since Sunday morning, still getting them, tracking with an app and they seem pretty regular but I don’t know if that’s confirmation bias or psychosomatic. They are like period cramps rather than what I’ve read about labour, but I do have back pain and had a pinky discharge Saturday evening.

I know you can’t give medical advice and I’m not expecting any, just a general idea of if false labour for a day is usual or if i’m over reacting.

kylith wrote: »
    Is there a general time limit on false labour? Been getting cramps since Sunday morning, still getting them, tracking with an app and they seem pretty regular but I don’t know if that’s confirmation bias or psychosomatic. They are like period cramps rather than what I’ve read about labour, but I do have back pain and had a pinky discharge Saturday evening.

I know you can’t give medical advice and I’m not expecting any, just a general idea of if false labour for a day is usual or if i’m over reacting.

I have no idea but I have heard of people having back labour. Maybe ring the maternity ward and see they will reassure you either way.

Labour for me definitely felt like period cramps that gradually got more and more intense. But I think the idea of ringing a Midwife is a good idea, they are well used to talking to people about symptoms and will call you in for a look too if your concerned or unsure

Oh and that discharge could be your show which is the mucus plug going

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Kylith, I was told I was in false labour on my last pregnancy. I ended up having an elective section after 3 solid days of pain & little sleep. The pains were like period pains that peak & then ease off. They were bad enough to wake me up when I tried to sleep but weren’t regular or increasing in length.

When I went into the hospital on the 4th day they told me I wasn’t even slightly dilated. Which is why I asked for the section (had been hoping for a VBAC).

I know the due date post is pages back but I’m due 27th Oct and being sectioned a week early. Hoping to get my date when I’m in clinic this week!

• Advertisement

Called them and they said not to bother coming in until contractions are 2 minutes apart cos they’d just send me home. Been awake since 4 and I just want to sleep. Himself has gone for paracetamol for me. He doesn’t know whether to go to work and I don’t know what to tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

When’s your next appointment Kylith? I’d ring in for advice!

Called them and they said not to bother coming in until contractions are 2 minutes apart cos they’d just send me home. Been awake since 4 and I just want to sleep. Himself has gone for paracetamol for me. He doesn’t know whether to go to work and I don’t know what to tell him.

Ah that’s annoying. Have you tried the bath? Hot water bottle on your back?

Kylith, they all sound like positive signs that your body is getting ready for some action! As some general advice though, for contractions to be strong enough to dilate your cervix (particularly for a FTM), they generally need to be really quite intense. A good guide is whether you are able to talk through them. The real deal contractions will stop you in your tracks and almost take your breath away. And they will get more and more intense, and more and more frequent, as they go.

You generally will know yourself when you're really getting going. You tend to reach a point where you just know it is really happening and you really need to go into hospital. So trust yourself and your body to tell you these things.

For now, try to get as much rest as you can. First labours can be long, and labour is seriously hard work.

Failing rest, try a warm bath or a shower for some pain relief or relaxation. With false labour, the bath may ease or stop the pains.

And if you want to try to encourage things to get going, get as active as you can. I'm talking several hours of squats and lunges, trawling the stairs, doing wide hip circles on the birthing ball, going for a walk, going up and doing the kerbs, etc. Scrub your floors. Anything to get that pelvis open and encourage baby to descend really low into it. The pressure of baby's head on the cervix will stimulate contractions.

If you can face it, and your waters haven't gone, some sexy time with your partner may prove very effective right now too!

No bath, but they said to have a shower. I’m trying to remember where my heat pack is.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Catriona. I’ll see what I can manage.

I genuinely don’t know if my waters have gone. I don’t think they have but (TMI Alert!) i’ve had a bad cough for the last week and have had to break out the super absorbent pads. So if my waters went during a coughing fit yesterday I wiuldn’t Have noticed.

Thanks for the advice Catriona. I’ll see what I can manage.

I genuinely don’t know if my waters have gone. I don’t think they have but (TMI Alert!) i’ve had a bad cough for the last week and have had to break out the super absorbent pads. So if my waters went during a coughing fit yesterday I wiuldn’t Have noticed.

There's an awful lot of fluid in your waters. It doesn't usually come out in one big gush, but when mine went, I was losing fluid in small gushes (a similar volume to when you pass urine each time) for many hours. I needed to wear two maternity pads at a time, and change them every hour. It was happening at totally random intervals and not just when I coughed.

It doesn't sound like your waters, but if you're in doubt then you should mention it to a midwife.

If in doubt definitely say it particularly if you are GBS positive. To this day I don’t know when mine went but when they went to break them they were already gone. I can only assume a slow leak of some kind

I was the same as mirror wall, didn't notice my waters going at all, it was only when I went in for regular appointment and the consultant did a scan that she asked had they gone, I didn't notice a thing really, yeah I was a bit damp but that wasn't very unusual at that time to be honest.

They can check in the hospital and you will just be sent home, not sure what your hospital policy is but holles Street would send you home either way whether waters gone or not until contractions are frequent. We'll, if they have gone you have to be back and giving birth to baby within 24 hours in case of infection so it would mean an induction if nothing starts naturally.

All good advice from caitriona above.

Rest, eat, use a hit water bottle. Up to you what to do with husband, labour can last days so if you are okay home in your own and husband isn't miles and miles away I would send him to work, my way if looking at it was (and still is this time) any days he stays home before birth is taking away from the days after when you really really need him.

When my waters broke at home it was like a trickling of warm urine down my leg that I couldn't stop.

Last contraction was half an hour ago, so may have been a false alarm. I’m sending himself off to work, he doesn’t work long hours so not too worried about him missing the main event if it starts again.

However, I shall be cross if it is a false alarm. I’ve been awake since 4 with this, i’m Exhausted, I spent the wee hours doing the stuff that’s supposed to make false labour stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Kylith do they stop/ease off when you walk around?

Go get some rest now kylith, forget about other stuff and get into bed. If anything does start a good sleep will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

If in doubt definitely say it particularly if you are GBS positive. To this day I don’t know when mine went but when they went to break them they were already gone. I can only assume a slow leak of some kind

Mine was the same went in in labour and asked when my waters had gone. Mystery never solved.

Kylith it might not be false Labour but could be early labour. Hopefully the pains now will be doing something in your body that will help later.
    Try get some rest now while you can. Will be thinking of you.

• Advertisement

I have an appointment today so I'm hoping to find out what the plan of action is for myself. I feel like I've had insomnia for the past month because I'm just every night hoping this baby will arrive.

Tried to tell myself from the start that it will be late but it still didn't sink in.

I don't even want to face the world at the moment because I'm sick of the have you not had the baby yet comments.

shesty wrote: »
    Kylith do they stop/ease off when you walk around?
    They didn’t when I moved position, ate, drank, and walked around during the night. Of course, as soon as I decide to get up they stopped. If i’d Stayed in bed I’d probably have a baby by now!

They didn’t when I moved position, ate, drank, and walked around during the night. Of course, as soon as I decide to get up they stopped. If i’d Stayed in bed I’d probably have a baby by now!

Ah blast that’s super annoying for you.

I’m having a rough morning with SPD. TMI constantly feeling like I need to do a number two and the lower back pain has jumped a notch on the right. And I don’t need to, nor am I constipated. It’s driving me nuts. And it isn’t contractions either so all I can assume is that whatever moving he did last night has stuck a body part somewhere bloody uncomfortable that’s causing it. He was like a bloody acrobat so of course I’m tired too. Rant over lol. I was supposed to go for lunch with friends but that’s not happening now

On the up side, it’s October!! Yippee! And I picked up a light beige version of our travel cot for the sitting room as I couldn’t face putting the bright green one from my first into the new house. It took over the room visually in our rental on the first. We’ve just left it up for now, not much point putting it away as it’s our downstairs changing station tkk

So annoying!!Mine were always the same, I'd be up all night with them but not a peep during the day.

Had my go appointment this morning and she doesnt think baby is head down now so seems its moved again. Crazy how much they move.

Ah blast that’s super annoying for you.

I’m having a rough morning with SPD. TMI constantly feeling like I need to do a number two and the lower back pain has jumped a notch on the right. And I don’t need to, nor am I constipated. It’s driving me nuts. And it isn’t contractions either so all I can assume is that whatever moving he did last night has stuck a body part somewhere bloody uncomfortable that’s causing it. He was like a bloody acrobat so of course I’m tired too. Rant over lol. I was supposed to go for lunch with friends but that’s not happening now

On the up side, it’s October!! Yippee! And I picked up a light beige version of our travel cot for the sitting room as I couldn’t face putting the bright green one from my first into the new house. It took over the room visually in our rental on the first. We’ve just left it up for now, not much point putting it away as it’s our downstairs changing station tkk

Pressure in your bum can be a sign too I believe. Maybe the baby is moving nearer the exit.

Had my go appointment this morning and she doesnt think baby is head down now so seems its moved again. Crazy how much they move.

Awe that's a pity audi but at least you have a plan. When are you back?

I wish threepeas lol

I wish threepeas lol

I'm trying to have hope for everyone else while I have none for myself. Awe mirror at least it's October. It's going to be soon. Spd is a total b@%/€ though but it will get alot better very soon.

• Advertisement

threepeas wrote: »
    Awe that's a pity audi but at least you have a plan. When are you back?

Back at the hospital Thursday so will have a definate plan then.

It'll be great to have a plan Audi02. threepeas thats me right now! Though I decided to work through the pain and do a job on the sitting room on all fours just in case they were some form of contraction. Doesn't seem to be and now I'm wrecked lol. However the sitting room is perfect, I'm delighted. We had furniture to reorganise and toys to sort through. All done now

It'll be great to have a plan Audi02. threepeas thats me right now! Though I decided to work through the pain and do a job on the sitting room on all fours just in case they were some form of contraction. Doesn't seem to be and now I'm wrecked lol. However the sitting room is perfect, I'm delighted. We had furniture to reorganise and toys to sort through. All done now

Yes will be great to have a definate plan in place at this stage. I should also tackle the sitting room but my energy levels are zero today.

I haven't had the energy to do anything in ages but it must have been a premonition this afternoon because as it happens the notification that the armchair is arriving tomorrow just came and we wouldn't have had room to bring it in there was so much stuff! Thank God for adverts free section, few things gone and now we have the space

After the night of excitement not a twinge today.

You are better off having all or nothing than it lingering on for days. Hopefully it will kick off again soon.

• Advertisement

I haven't had the energy to do anything in ages but it must have been a premonition this afternoon because as it happens the notification that the armchair is arriving tomorrow just came and we wouldn't have had room to bring it in there was so much stuff! Thank God for adverts free section, few things gone and now we have the space

It must have been a sign mirrorwall. Great that you are getting organised though.

Is this youre first kylith? Hopefully something will happen soon for you..hang in there

Is this youre first kylith? Hopefully something will happen soon for you..hang in there

It is, so I know it can stretch out for a couple of days. Getting some twinges again now, but probably nothing to get excited about, looks like this baby's just a night owl.

It is, so I know it can stretch out for a couple of days. Getting some twinges again now, but probably nothing to get excited about, looks like this baby's just a night owl.

Sometimes it can stretch out and I know of others that have gone early with their first so ya never know.

You just never know hope things ramp up for you soon. Everything crossed for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement