Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

He has slept since 945 thank the Lord. Obviously had pain somewhere, possibly ear or teeth as he’s scratched his face multiple times today and would explain why he doesn’t want his bottle or soother either. 3hr nap, only woke at 1 for a bottle though woke would be a strong word he was still half asleep and passed back out after a boot change and 2oz

I don’t hear the criticisms a lot of the time but I have a tendency to miss tone anyways so even if comments were sarcastic or mean I might miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Aw Mirrorwall14 that sounds like an awful day, glad he's gotten some sleep now. We had a cranky couple of hours there but she eventually settled in our bed. She woke up at 1am there and took a dribble of a bottle then fell back asleep. Waiting on her to wake again now when she realises she's still hungry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

That sounds like a seriously tough day, mirrorwall. I would be climbing the walls. Does he settle in a sling for you? Some days it is my saviour.

He slept until 6 when I woke up with the mother of all tummy bugs though no vomiting and horrific cramps that honestly felt like late labour. I was doubled over trying not to throw up in pain. Panic call got the mother in law for help with the kidsand I’m in bed. It’s eased off a bit now but is still very uncomfortable. If this is what he had yesterday no wonder he didn’t sleep. Poor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Hearing you all on the comments. I'm shocked at how laid back a mother I am, and the confidence I have in my ability to mother, so I actually do get annoyed at some comments... Mainly my mother's passive aggressive digs about my child's clothes 🙈 she wants to dress the child like an 80s reject and anything cool (Zara/h&m) I put on her or anything not pink all I hear is her saying "oh your mother insists on putting you in that but don't worry granny will make sure you have a nice pink cardigan that brings out your colour"

Ahhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

clacla82 wrote: »
    Hearing you all on the comments. I'm shocked at how laid back a mother I am, and the confidence I have in my ability to mother, so I actually do get annoyed at some comments... Mainly my mother's passive aggressive digs about my child's clothes 🙈 she wants to dress the child like an 80s reject and anything cool (Zara/h&m) I put on her or anything not pink all I hear is her saying "oh your mother insists on putting you in that but don't worry granny will make sure you have a nice pink cardigan that brings out your colour"

Ahhhh

Haha! I still announce on a regular basis that I’m SOO glad I have 2 boys because if number 2 had been a girl there wouldn’t be a frilly pink dress left in the country after my mam hit the shops. Frilly/pink/velvet/flowery- she’d be all over it :)
    I love Zara stuff for smallies. Their stuff is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Everything anyone has given (outside immediate family) us is pink! One SiL even said that she knew I secretly loved pink and just didn’t want anyone to know. Um, no.

Like, there are loads of other colours! It’s not a binary choice!

Had vaccinations today and she slept most of the day, but only on me. Won’t sleep at all now. Has been screaming pretty much constantly since 10. Am wrecked and developing lovely headache. Has dozed off now so am going to try again. She’s bloody lucky i’m Biologically programmed not to kill her.
    shesty wrote: »
    Ditto.
    I am always the one behind the camera.
    typical, isn’t it? On top of everything else we have to do there’s photography. And then it looks like we did nothing cos all the photos are of other people holding the baby.

kylith wrote:
    Had vaccinations today and she slept most of the day, but only on me. Won’t sleep at all now. Has been screaming pretty much constantly since 10. Am wrecked and developing lovely headache. Has dozed off now so am going to try again. She’s bloody lucky i’m Biologically programmed not to kill her.

We had the same here, screamed for 4/5 hours in the evening. It's so stressful. Once we were 24 hours after the jabs she was back to normal and in the best form ever afterwards.

• Advertisement

Luckily that last attempt worked and she slept until just now. I remember how sore my arm was when I got the meningitis vaccine, so I don’t blame her for being off form, but it’s so stressful when you just want to sleep

kylith wrote:
    Luckily that last attempt worked and she slept until just now. I remember how sore my arm was when I got the meningitis vaccine, so I don’t blame her for being off form, but it’s so stressful when you just want to sleep

I find my whole back tenses up with the stress and becomes really painful and uncomfortable. Only when she's crying for a prolonged period and nothing works to calm her. If it's just while being bathed or waiting on a bottle or whatever it doesn't phase me in the slightest, but when nothing is working and she's going on and on I get so stressed by it. I couldn't cope if she was a whingy/cranky baby in general, so lucky she only has the odd fussy hour or two.

Vaccinations tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Three year old has been running a temp since Sunday. Unproductive trip to Tallaght on Monday as temp couldn’t be managed. Slight improvement in temps last night but now he’s throwing up (5 times overnight) so ringing the GP for another check today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh Mirrorwall.Trip to Ddoc here last night too.They were very busy, booked solid everywhere.Fecking hate the winter.

We were meant to be getting vaccines tomorrow, but have all been sick here too and Conor still has a wee rattle in his chest, so they are now delayed until the new year.

Winter sucks.

He slept until 6 when I woke up with the mother of all tummy bugs though no vomiting and horrific cramps that honestly felt like late labour. I was doubled over trying not to throw up in pain. Panic call got the mother in law for help with the kidsand I’m in bed. It’s eased off a bit now but is still very uncomfortable. If this is what he had yesterday no wonder he didn’t sleep. Poor thing

Think I might have this today. Waves of intense tightening pains in upper tummy area. Very similar to contractions, but higher up. No vomiting though.

Wee man was super unsettled yesterday so I'm wondering if he also had these pains? If so, I feel awful for him.

• Advertisement

Hope all the babies enjoyed their first Christmas. And the mammies too of course!

Anyone battling eczema and/or fungal infections? Finding it a little tough over here.

No excema or fungal infections but on our second antibiotic for pink eye. Just had a full hour screaming session tonight, it’s so hard to tell what’s bothering him between teething, sleep, nose (has a snuffly cold) wind or eye. It’s torture when he does it

No excema or fungal infections but on our second antibiotic for pink eye. Just had a full hour screaming session tonight, it’s so hard to tell what’s bothering him between teething, sleep, nose (has a snuffly cold) wind or eye. It’s torture when he does it

You poor thing, it must be so stressful for you all.

Does anyone have any tips on introducing a bottle? Little One is currently EBF, but I'd like to introduce a bottle so that I can have an evening out eventually. I got a Mam bottle with a slow flow teat and would appreciate any advice on introducing it with minimal stress.

kylith wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on introducing a bottle? Little One is currently EBF, but I'd like to introduce a bottle so that I can have an evening out eventually. I got a Mam bottle with a slow flow teat and would appreciate any advice on introducing it with minimal stress.

Do it sooner rather than later is my best advice. Boob babies get very fussy about bottles very quickly! The younger they are, the more likely they are to accept it without hassle. Otherwise it will usually be a bit of a battle.

And don't give it to her yourself. Get someone else to do it, preferably with you not in the room at all. If she knows you're there, she will want the booby cuddles too! Why have it bottled when you can get it on draught, right?!

Does she take a dodie? If they're used to that plasticy teat sensation in their mouth, it is often a smoother transition. Neither of my boys ever had any interest in the dodies though.

• Advertisement

Haven’t even tried her on a dodie. I’ve seen the fight my siblings have had trying to get them to give it up so I figured it was better never to start.

Me being out of the room is a good idea. We tried it last night and she wasn’t impressed, which I found very stressful

Haven’t even tried her on a dodie. I’ve seen the fight my siblings have had trying to get them to give it up so I figured it was better never to start.

Me being out of the room is a good idea. We tried it last night and she wasn’t impressed, which I found very stressful

Another one is to make sure she is good and hungry. Much more likely to accept it then.

Tried her a couple of times now and she will let the teat sit in her mouth and will, eventually, realise that she can swallow what's in her mouth, but hasn't put the two together. We persevere...

Tried her a couple of times now and she will let the teat sit in her mouth and will, eventually, realise that she can swallow what's in her mouth, but hasn't put the two together. We persevere...

And there's nothing more heartbreaking than having to tip expressed breast milk down the sink! All that hard work for nothing!!!

We’ve definitely hit a growth spurt and are on the mend, gone from fighting bottles taking 1-3oz to draining 4-5oz every two hours! Waking up starving from his 5hr stretches at night

And there's nothing more heartbreaking than having to tip expressed breast milk down the sink! All that hard work for nothing!!!

I'm using a Haakaa and just taking an ounce or so at a time, so I don't have to waste too much, but it is heartbreaking.

9hrs third night in a row. There is a god!

9hrs third night in a row. There is a god!

Amazing! We got 11-6 on Saturday night but back to normal last night, she's got a snuffly nose and a cough so I'm on the couch with her now for as long as she needs

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Hi all! Hope everyone is keeping well :) I think we’re starting to hit the dreaded 4month sleep regression...I’m hoping it’s just a couple of bad nights though! Apart from that I think everything is going well. She might be starting to teeth too, she’s chewing on her fists a lot and she’s got little red cheeks.

How’s everyone else doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Our little one is also starting to sleep longer thank god. We had an AWFUL time with colic...8 or 9 hours a night of constant ROARIN until she eventually wore herself out for a couple of hours. Wouldn't settle at all during the day either. Had her at an osteopath and turns out 3 muscles were caught in her back. Shes like a new child since and slept from 8.30 to 6 this morning. Had a feed and went back to sleep until 10. Getting into daytime routine naps too. I feel like we're finally turning a corner. My god the last few weeks have been EXTREMELY tough. Single mothers dont get enough praise cos I could not have got thru it without my partner. 16 weeks next weeks so going to start weaning. Bought the tommee tippee blend and steam machine..has anyone else got this? Is it good?

• Advertisement

Ah I was only just reading up on weaning today! Gonna wait til 26 weeks as apparently that's best for their developing gut, and we have digestive issues and intolerance in the family. But when he hits the six month mark, I'm going to go full BLW this time rather than spoon feeds.

I can't believe we are talking weaning already! It feels like they were only born last week!

17 weeks today but nowhere near ready to wean, still only barely managing 4oz bottles. She was 3 weeks early but measured 5 weeks early when scanned the day before delivery, and that would be closer to my dates. I'm going to a weaning talk next week organised through the local health centre and apparently we all get a free blender that's decent quality, if anyone's interested check with your PHN to see if there's one local to you. Cannot believe the age of her already! Waiting til 6 months to wean anyway as I've heard about digestion problems later in life if weaned too soon.

My little one is very hungry...wolfin 6oz bottles. My last one was the same. Started weaning at 4 months last time and no problems thank god. Apparently weaning now will help with the colic so fingere crossed

I'm getting the feeling that I"m being set up for something; it's all going too well. Easy pregnancy, quick delivery, no colic, or major health problems, and now LO appears to be sleep training herself! The last 2/3 days she's started ripping the eyes off herself, going into her pram/bed, bit of walking or rocking, and the eyes close and away she goes. Naps are up from 30 minutes on me to up to 2 hours 30 minutes in her pram. She's even down for the night by around 10pm and sleeping till 8.

Something is going to go horribly wrong. I just know it. Teething will probably be a nightmare and a half.

Sounds great Kylith! Long may it last! Baby is very good here in general too. Sleeps nothing like that but days are great, she's very content and her personality is coming through now with lots of babbling and smiling and laughing. Not too worried about the sleep as I'm awaiting a 4 month sleep regression... She had a great nap this afternoon 3.30-6 approx but awake an awful lot since falling asleep at 8.30.. Awake at 9.30, 10, 11.30, 12.15, 1.30....but this is not like her. She spat up a bottle at 8.30 and only took an ounce at 10 and another ounce at 11.30. Finally got a full 4oz into her now so hopefully she will settle for a few hours now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

That is a risky move,writing down how good she is,you have probably jinxed yourself now!!! Ha ha! Brilliant that she is so great and hopefully that continues,she may breeze through teething too! It's them teenage years where she will get you,lull you into thinking she is a model child and then all of a sudden.....mental teenager!!!!

Ha ha sorry,I am talking nonsense now!

Ha! That's exactly how I feel, like I'm jinxing myself by saying it :D

Cash, I hope she settles for you soon, it can be so exhausting to be up and down all the time.

kylith wrote:
    Cash, I hope she settles for you soon, it can be so exhausting to be up and down all the time.

It was defo not a typical night so I'm hoping that it'll be a while til I see another night like that!

Looks like I may have spoken too soon. She’s very grizzly today and appears to have a slightly elevated temperature.

Calpol, milk, and cuddles are prescribed today.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote:
    Looks like I may have spoken too soon. She’s very grizzly today and appears to have a slightly elevated temperature.

Oh no, poor chicken! Hopefully the Calpol will keeping down and she'll be ok!

She’ll be grand, I’m sure. Good hardy peasant stock, as my mum says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone know from experience what age collic ends?

Five month old girl who suffers terribly, also spews up a bucketfull once each day, gp useless bar recommending gaviscon

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone know from experience what age collic ends?

Five month old girl who suffers terribly, also spews up a bucketfull once each day, gp useless bar recommending gaviscon

I would have thought colic would be done with by now tbh? And if she’s still spewing up might need something more than gaviscon?

We’re on nutramigen for suspected Cows milk protein intolerance and weaning early for the reflux (it will either help or hinder and it helped enormously on my first)

Is your PHN good? Or could you try a different gp or look for a referral to a peadiatrition .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What is she on - BF or formula?

My third spat constantly all day long, every time I looked at him up from about 10-17 weeks (he was mostly breastfed before that) and was so uncomfortable.I changed his formula-literally from Aptamil comfort to SMA and overnight it stopped.Couldn't believe it.No.1 had silent reflux though and she was on Zantac for months.She wasn't puking though.

Suggest trying a change in formula (not too many changes though) if on formula, your PHN or a different doctor.Sometimes reducing dairy in your diet, if she is BF can help. Often it does start to improve at six months and with solids (not suggesting early solids, doesn't necessarily sort it out).

shesty wrote: »
    What is she on - BF or formula?

My third spat constantly all day long, every time I looked at him up from about 10-17 weeks (he was mostly breastfed before that) and was so uncomfortable.I changed his formula-literally from Aptamil comfort to SMA and overnight it stopped.Couldn't believe it.No.1 had silent reflux though and she was on Zantac for months.She wasn't puking though.

Suggest trying a change in formula (not too many changes though) if on formula, your PHN or a different doctor.Sometimes reducing dairy in your diet, if she is BF can help. Often it does start to improve at six months and with solids (not suggesting early solids, doesn't necessarily sort it out).

Yes we switched from aptamil to SMA lactose free but only difference has been the healthy nappies, prior to that even poo was unhealthy

GP said there is nothing can be done (doctors love telling you that) only ride out, screaming session several times per day every day, surprisingly however, she sleeps sound all night from 9 pm until 7 am straight

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yes we switched from aptamil to SMA lactose free but only difference has been the healthy nappies, prior to that even poo was unhealthy

GP said there is nothing can be done (doctors love telling you that) only ride out, screaming session several times per day every day, surprisingly however, she sleeps sound all night from 9 pm until 7 am straight

Our girleen was sooooooooo sooooooo bad. Like unbearable bad..she used be purple from cryin it was so hard to watch. We bought her to an osteopath and shes like a new child. All her muscles were caught so she couldn't get up wind right. Theres a great osteopath near us that I had booked before baby was even born so had to wait til Jan to get into him but in the meantime I tried other osteopaths who are so gentle with baby that I didn't even think they were doin anything. But with this fella he treated her like an adult and sorted them all out. Everytime we went she used to smile up to him as if to say you're going to make me better I know it.

audi02 wrote: »
    Our girleen was sooooooooo sooooooo bad. Like unbearable bad..she used be purple from cryin it was so hard to watch. We bought her to an osteopath and shes like a new child. All her muscles were caught so she couldn't get up wind right. Theres a great osteopath near us that I had booked before baby was even born so had to wait til Jan to get into him but in the meantime I tried other osteopaths who are so gentle with baby that I didn't even think they were doin anything. But with this fella he treated her like an adult and sorted them all out. Everytime we went she used to smile up to him as if to say you're going to make me better I know it.

Personal experience with quacks has been poor in the past

All is quiet on the western front! How are mamas and babas getting on?

All pretty good here, had a few cranky days and fussy nights but she seems to be through it now. Waking for the day at 5am a lot, not fun..although back to work in 3 weeks so will need to get up at 6am anyway.

Solids(purees) are suiting her and she loves her food. I'm a bit wary of the next stage now of offering her meals...I'm vegetarian and eat a good bit of spicy food so that won't suit her. Not entirely sure what to give her. Need to be practical for the minder too..

Reduce the spice a bit in it CashQ.I thought this on my first too, but my second took to chilli like a duck to water and my 10 month old goes crazy for spicy things!!I just reduce the spice levels a bit and make sure there's no salt or anything.The more you expose them to early on the better because once they get to about 18 months/2, they become quite reluctant to try new things.(yes, I have made this mistake!!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement