Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

kylith wrote: »
    Got to 20k on the Harbour 2 Harbour and decided to stop. My hips had started to hurt and I started to feel hot and unwell. I don't feel like I disgraced myself, and now i’m on the way home to have a bit of a nap cos i’m totally wrecked. I’m blaming the wind: it was blowing A gale the whole time, but having it directly in my face from the halfway mark made it much harder than usual.

Kylith massive well done!!! You certainly did not disgrace yourself, you’re our hero!! Our bodies just aren’t the same as they were a few weeks ago, it’s hard sometimes to accept that. I was in the gym all week and come Friday I couldn’t even walk to the shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

WOW! Well done Kylith! I actually have no idea how you did that!
    I’ve been jogging once a week for well over a year so have been trying to keep that up as long as I can in this pregnancy. I decided to just try do 2km but I couldn’t even keep that going this week!
    Had to stop & walk a couple of times as I started to feel nauseous and figured my body was telling me something!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Lovelemons wrote: »
    Can I join you all. Due the end of September but my first two babies were well overdue so I'm just going to tell everyone it's October.

Will have a read through the rest of the thread.

Any one in kerry

Jumping in from Sept thread too (my edd was 22sept so have been hovering here too but it was moved back to 15th after my scan this week so def a Sept baby)
    Just wanted to say hi and I'm also in Kerry, will be going to KUH. This will be my second there, had no 1 back in 2013.
    Congratulations and best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks folks. Was kind of thinking I could have done more and wussed out, but it’s reassuring to know that everyone’s having difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

kylith wrote:
    Was kind of thinking I could have done more

Good God no, you did incredible! I walked around the block twice this week and it's the most exercise I did in about 5 weeks. My diet is gone to hell too. I know I should be eating well for the baby but I can't face most food and eating comfort food instead.

Can I increase my risk of Gestational Diabetes by eating poorly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You did amazing Kylith, well done!

I’m plus size and had a terrible diet from 9-22 weeks last time with vomiting/nausea. Passed the GD test with flying colours at 24 weeks

Ok thanks mirrorwall. I haven't gained weight on the scales but look and feel like I have and it doesn't look like bloating. I'm on a weekend/hangover diet 7 days per week it's a disgrace. Can't manage even pasta one which is one of my favourite foods the thoughts make me feel sick. Been eating a good bit of fruit which is typical for me but no veggies. I am surviving on crap basically!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Ok thanks mirrorwall. I haven't gained weight on the scales but look and feel like I have and it doesn't look like bloating. I'm on a weekend/hangover diet 7 days per week it's a disgrace. Can't manage even pasta one which is one of my favourite foods the thoughts make me feel sick. Been eating a good bit of fruit which is typical for me but no veggies. I am surviving on crap basically!

I have been surviving on carbs and sugar this week. Some weeks will be better than others from what I remember :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Jumping in from Sept thread too (my edd was 22sept so have been hovering here too but it was moved back to 15th after my scan this week so def a Sept baby)
    Just wanted to say hi and I'm also in Kerry, will be going to KUH. This will be my second there, had no 1 back in 2013.
    Congratulations and best of luck!

Thanks babymakesthree. Thats lovely to have one week less to wait than you think. I had an early scan at nine weeks so we are sure of the due date but not that the baby will arrive on time.

• Advertisement

Well done kylith that is fantastic. That is a great achievement.
    I haven't done any walking with about 5 weeks. When I hit week 7 the energy just went away completely and the nausea and vomiting took over. I hope to get back to some exercise soon.

Cash q no veggies or fruit here. I think this baby is mainly existing on sips of 7up. Feel bad but everything I eat makes me feel worse. Hopefully it will ease off soon. Like you I have put on no weight, think I've lost a few pounds but my clothes are still getting tighter. I guess the weight is redistributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The baby will always have first dibs on the nutritional requirements so no matter how bad your diet for a few weeks it will suck anything it needs from you. It will be you who will suffer but hopefully you’ll feel well enough to make up for it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Lovelemons wrote: »
    Thanks babymakesthree. Thats lovely to have one week less to wait than you think. I had an early scan at nine weeks so we are sure of the due date but not that the baby will arrive on time.

I had a scan at 9 weeks too and baby was measuring spot on for my old date 22 sept so somehow it made up a week in a few weeks! Or it's going to be a big one?! lol I'm delighted to have lost a week along the way, I hopped into trimester 2 hehe

I had a scan at 9 weeks too and baby was measuring spot on for my old date 22 sept so somehow it made up a week in a few weeks! Or it's going to be a big one?! lol I'm delighted to have lost a week along the way, I hopped into trimester 2 hehe

Oh really maybe the same will happen to me. Unlikely though. I thought they used to take your own dates though unless they were way out. It's a while since I was in there 😂

For anyone dreaming of the end, I've just discovered labour gowns on etsy. So many things I want!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Speaking of the end, my in-laws have just gone and booked their ferry over to meet the new baby without consulting us. I’m due 16th, and they’ve booked for the last week in October. When they came over for my last baby, he was two weeks old and they sat on my sofa for 10+ hours a day and wouldn’t even leave when I asked them to go at 9pm. I was breastfeeding and it was still painful and latching took a while, so I wasn’t comfortable feeding in front of them. I spent 6-8 hours a day in my bedroom staring at the walls while feeding him.

I’m so annoyed. I actually hope the baby is two weeks late now to teach them a lesson!! Last one was a week late and the Labour was induced, so there’s a good chance!

• Advertisement

Speaking of the end, my in-laws have just gone and booked their ferry over to meet the new baby without consulting us. I’m due 16th, and they’ve booked for the last week in October. When they came over for my last baby, he was two weeks old and they sat on my sofa for 10+ hours a day and wouldn’t even leave when I asked them to go at 9pm. I was breastfeeding and it was still painful and latching took a while, so I wasn’t comfortable feeding in front of them. I spent 6-8 hours a day in my bedroom staring at the walls while feeding him.

I’m so annoyed. I actually hope the baby is two weeks late now to teach them a lesson!! Last one was a week late and the Labour was induced, so there’s a good chance!

I had stern words with my husband about some of the visitors after our 1st one so that it wasn't repeated the 2nd time.

Oh no! Thats so not on. I'd be setting a time limit on those visits and make sure the other half implements it. Entertaining 10hrs a day? Heck no! And as an aside, sure you haven't even had a dating scan yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Wow! Just wow. Your partner might want to step up here and tell them to rebook for some time in November, maybe even December, a time of *your* choosing! Bloody hell you must have the patience of a saint!

My in-laws are absolutely lovely people, but I will not be shy in telling my husband to get rid of any visitor I've had enough of. :-D

I'm quite relieved to read that I'm not the only one whose healthy living has gone out the window. Mostly I'm eating ice pops and chocolate. Very few meals with any semblance of balance in the last 3 weeks. And fitness has taken a dive. I used to run 3 days a week to work but between snowy paths and nausea, it's been ages. I'm hoping that once my stomach settles and I can handle the bobbing up and down, I'll get back to it slowly.

Mostly I feel like I've had a gastric bypass. I can only handle really small amounts of food at a time, and it feels like it just sits in a lump at the top of my stomach. Cannot wait for this stage to pass. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Mostly I feel like I've had a gastric bypass. I can only handle really small amounts of food at a time, and it feels like it just sits in a lump at the top of my stomach. Cannot wait for this stage to pass. :-/

That's exactly how I feel, can only eat tiny amounts otherwise I feel totally stuffed and a bit sick. I was the same last time but it didn't go away until after the baby was born. I also had bad heartburn at this stage and haven't had that yet so hoping that doesn't surface!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Ah for feck sake caitriona, that is ridiculously annoying, I assume they are not staying in your place at least? Maybe you could get them to take Liam out for full days or something, get a bit of use out of them?

• Advertisement

Oh caitriona what a nightmare!! Could you tell them your dates are off and baby not due until later so they should put off their visit :P

As for baby taking any nutrition...today I have eaten:
    2 sausages on wholegrain bread with ketchup
    Meanies on wholegrain bread
    Chips with lots of salt and garlic naan bread
    Chocolate ice cream
    Peanut m&ms

So the wholegrain bread is the only nutritious thing 🙈 can't even face fruit which I usually love. I'm a fussy eater at the best of times and totally gone off eggs, avocados, bananas and beetroot which are among the most nutritious food I usually eat.

I had been taking pregnacare but ran out and now just taking folic acid as I can't be bothered paying out for the pregnacare, but my body and baby probably need them to be honest..

On the positive side I've had a couple of clear trips to the bathroom today for the first time in a week though I'm not getting my hopes up.

On a weirdly positive side I found a long discussion board of others describing their precipitous labour and I'm actually weepy that others felt like I did. It was so fast. It was so out of control. I'm still mortified at how loud I was when others described their wonderful drug free births. Mine felt like a car crash. Its amazing to know that others found the speed as tough to cope with as me. Yes it was great that we ended up with more time on the labour ward with a baby than without but it was all a bit nuts.

Oh no! Thats so not on. I'd be setting a time limit on those visits and make sure the other half implements it. Entertaining 10hrs a day? Heck no! And as an aside, sure you haven't even had a dating scan yet!

Jesus I would have a meltdown. You nearly wouldn't mind if they at least knew when to make themselves scarce and/or were a MASSIVE help around the place. I am not especially close to my in-laws - they are very old school country people -and we are heading down to tell them today... I reckon we would get more reaction out of telling the stones in the garden...they'd also be the type to turn up for a the day and expect cups of teas on tap. I would have your husband well-prepped - if he can't make them alter their booking then he will have to be firm about telling them visiting time is up and to head off (although most husbands won't say boo to their families - mine included)

Oh caitriona what a nightmare!! Could you tell them your dates are off and baby not due until later so they should put off their visit :P

Chocolate ice cream
    Peanut m&ms

So the wholegrain bread is the only nutritious thing �� can't even face fruit which I usually love. I'm a fussy eater at the best of times and totally gone off eggs, avocados, bananas and beetroot which are among the most nutritious food I usually eat.

I had been taking pregnacare but ran out and now just taking folic acid as I can't be bothered paying out for the pregnacare, but my body and baby probably need them to be honest..

I am exactly the same, usually pure whole foods, wouldn't touch processed stuff, not much of a sweet tooth even with fruit....that has all gone out the window. The sick feeling has passed the last fortnight but the gnawing hunger when my stomach empties is chronic.
    Yesterday I had:

Three mandarins
    Apple
    Bowl of porridge with almond butter
    Two massive bowls of cocoa pops
    Tuna pasta bake
    Burger and cheese fries in Eddie Rockets
    A Coke
    Clubmilk

I believe that's what you call a balanced diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

When I was younger I used to drink fizzy drinks a lot. Not so much as an adult, maybe a 7up if I'm in the cinema or having a burger.

I am drinking bottles of the stuff every day now. I don't know what's got into me. Surely all that sugar can't be good for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SuzieQCork

Chocolate ice cream
    Peanut m&ms

So the wholegrain bread is the only nutritious thing 🙈 can't even face fruit which I usually love. I'm a fussy eater at the best of times and totally gone off eggs, avocados, bananas and beetroot which are among the most nutritious food I usually eat.

There’s a girl on the last page of the November thread giving away a pretty full box ofpregnacare, she is will to post them to someone not in Dublin! I’d get onto her!

clacla82 wrote: »
    Jesus I would have a meltdown. You nearly wouldn't mind if they at least knew when to make themselves scarce and/or were a MASSIVE help around the place. I am not especially close to my in-laws - they are very old school country people -and we are heading down to tell them today... I reckon we would get more reaction out of telling the stones in the garden...they'd also be the type to turn up for a the day and expect cups of teas on tap. I would have your husband well-prepped - if he can't make them alter their booking then he will have to be firm about telling them visiting time is up and to head off (although most husbands won't say boo to their families - mine included)

I too am dreading the parental visit after the birth. My mum’s not the type to demand I wait on them, but I fully expect a critical analysis of how i’m Holding it wrong, dressing it wrong, feeding it too much, not feeding it enough, putting it down at the wrong time, taking it up at the wrong time, etc until I start eyeing the knives.

I learnt to get very blunt very fast. My filter was a little broken after birth!

On the upside the spotting seems to have almost stopped. But I seem to have a UTI. Out of hours is super expensive with my GP, does anyone know if it’s ok to wait until tomorrow or could I damage something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I learnt to get very blunt very fast. My filter was a little broken after birth!

On the upside the spotting seems to have almost stopped. But I seem to have a UTI. Out of hours is super expensive with my GP, does anyone know if it’s ok to wait until tomorrow or could I damage something?

Can you ring your maternity department and ask them?

I had a kidney infection a few weeks ago. When you google UTI/kidney infections in pregnancy, they say to get antibiotics ASAP as can be dangerous (to you more than baby, as your immune system is crappy during pregnancy). However when I rang the midwives, they didn’t seem worried at all and told me just to book in to see my GP within the next few days.

I would ring your GP in the morning.

• Advertisement

Yeah its not killing me right now (I had one in January which was horrific) so I'll wait until the morning and see how it goes. Chucking water at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Hello everyone! :)
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks -> too nervous to commit until now. 10 weeks today.
    This is pregnancy number 5 for me, and I already have 1 daughter.
    I had an early scan last week which looked great (head, torso, arms and legs ... with a heartbeat), and the due date was pushed back by 3 days. Due 16th October.
    I've been feeling nauseous and extremely tired which is making it very difficult to hide in these first few weeks. Yesterday, I woke up with some lower back pain which is lingering. I read up online that it's the hormone relaxin kicking in.
    Just trying to take it easy and pass time for the next few weeks.

Entropy7 wrote: »
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks -> too nervous to commit until now. 10 weeks today.
    I had an early scan last week which looked great (head, torso, arms and legs ... with a heartbeat), and the due date was pushed back by 3 days. Due 16th October.
    I've been feeling nauseous and extremely tired which is making it very difficult to hide in these first few weeks. Yesterday, I woke up with some lower back pain which is lingering. I read up online that it's the hormone relaxin kicking in.

Welcome on board! You have the same due date as me.

Hoping the sickness and uiredness passes soon for you! It really is rotten. I vomited while brushing my teeth this morning ðŸ™

I can no longer wear dresses that fasten at the waist as I genuinely look pregnant when I do. I’m wanting to hide this from work for another couple of months. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to wear office-wear.

Caitriona could you pick up some slacks and tops in Penneys a size up? I wear tops from there for work they usually have some for 7/9euro and they've been disguising my pizza gut well enough for years :P

Entropy7 wrote: »

Welcome! Today was rough in school, teaching all day plus supervision and nausea/exhaustion was a poor combination

Caitriona could you pick up some slacks and tops in Penneys a size up? I wear tops from there for work they usually have some for 7/9euro and they've been disguising my pizza gut well enough for years :P

I’m counting on my pizza gut to hide the pregnant belly till i’m ready to tell work :D

Oh I'm so tired. We are buying a house which had been delayed until later in the year by a sitting tenant but she suddenly left so it's all moving along very quickly. It's great and we are so lucky but I'm absolutely exhausted with chasing house insurance, banks, estate agents, etc etc etc! Doesn't help that my car insurance is also up for renewal this week! So distracted in work and my head is juggling far too much. Not sleeping well and feeling emotional so I'm just burnt out by this stage. Going to be a long and busy week but so worth it and delighted we'll be in long before baby comes. Ugh

Welcome to the new joiners.

I am feeling very sorry for myself. To add to the vomiting I am now suffering from headaches. Nosebleeds and sore legs. Feeling very miserable.

For those trying to hide the bumps try shift dresses in a size up much better than those that skim the bump and make it look bigger. Open blazers with scarves and large handbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Lovelemons wrote:
    I am feeling very sorry for myself. To add to the vomiting I am now suffering from headaches. Nosebleeds and sore legs. Feeling very miserable.

This sounds like pure misery. I feel sorry for you too.

I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself to the point of tears over the last few days as I'm so sick and stomach is so sore, but at least that's all I have to cry about. I've been on holidays for the last week, gonna have to suck it up and get on with things tomorrow in work. :-(

Oh I'm so tired. We are buying a house which had been delayed until later in the year by a sitting tenant but she suddenly left so it's all moving along very quickly. It's great and we are so lucky but I'm absolutely exhausted with chasing house insurance, banks, estate agents, etc etc etc! Doesn't help that my car insurance is also up for renewal this week! So distracted in work and my head is juggling far too much. Not sleeping well and feeling emotional so I'm just burnt out by this stage. Going to be a long and busy week but so worth it and delighted we'll be in long before baby comes. Ugh

Oh I totally get that! We’re in the process of buying a house too and the idea of doing it up has me really excited but so tired at the same time haha! Not sure how hands on I will be this time, think the hubby will be doing most of th hard work hehe

SuzieQCork wrote:
    Oh I totally get that! We’re in the process of buying a house too and the idea of doing it up has me really excited but so tired at the same time haha! Not sure how hands on I will be this time, think the hubby will be doing most of th hard work hehe

We found a painter on adverts who will do us a great price. Thankfully we don't need to do much else other than order and assemble furniture. I'm off for two weeks for Easter so the timing is fantastic but it's just all the logistical stuff that's draining me as it happened so quickly. Feeling more organised now for the afternoons ahead and hopefully we get the keys on Friday without delay :)

Plus it's nearly bed time now so I'm delighted :P

I went to bed with my little boy and fell asleep at 8 I was so tired!! Awake now which is rather irritating considering I’m still wrecked. Spotting again which is also irritating. I think I’m just irritated generally lol. 7 days to the booking appointment and scan though so nearly there.

Buying a house is equal parts terrifying and awesome! We’re a year and a half into ours and it’s still amazing. Jobs starting to crop up that we want done at this stage but the home office is currently going up in the back garden and that’s putting everything else on hold for the moment. We’ll be that spare room back! My husband currently works out of it

I slept from 9.30pm to 6 am OMG!!!! think I'll throw myself a party :P

We are so excited about the house, we've lived in 5 different crappy flats before moving in with my brother to save 6 years ago, it's been a long time coming so we are thrilled. It's just a bit overwhelming trying to coordinate all the finances and legal stuff on top of life in general which is pretty busy as it is. The full nights sleep will help!

Be great to reclaim your spare room Mirrorwall14, but above all else I hope the spotting is as routine as it has been up to now and with just 7 days until your next appointment hopefully you can get through without it causing you too much stress. Roll on the Easter holidays!!!

We were supposed to start building our house in Feb but there have been delays with the planning permission. We're kind of all up in the air at the moment. Ideally we'd like to have the house built before the baby arrives but not looking likely.

• Advertisement

Got the results of the Panorama NIPT screening from Evie yesterday, and baby is very low risk for everything, best result possible. So relieved! Can't wait for my 12 week scan Friday week and to tell everyone!

clacla82 wrote: »
    Got the results of the Panorama NIPT screening from Evie yesterday, and baby is very low risk for everything, best result possible. So relieved! Can't wait for my 12 week scan Friday week and to tell everyone!

What is NIPT screening?

SuzieQCork wrote: »
    What is NIPT screening?

Non invasive prenatal testing. It's a blood test you can do from 9 weeks to check for risk of Downs, Edwards. Patau syndrome, and others. It's €500 in Rotunda/Evie but not many people know about it. I learned about it through work a few years ago and always said I would get it done, any additional peace of mind is priceless.

You can get it for 350e in Evie if you allow your results to go into their global research.

lunamoon wrote: »
    You can get it for 350e in Evie if you allow your results to go into their global research.

Sorry, I meant to say that. We did sign up to that actually, I just had 500 in my head as that's the usual cost. It's madness that it's not more widely discussed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement