Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes Caitriona, I think that got my second going!Not curries, just a few big three course meals and tonnes of water.I had been suffering with contractions for about three weeks mind you, but a few big meals apparently can help kick things off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Orange369 wrote: »
    I have been gettin contractions since 7am, downloaded an app to start timing them and they were between 4/5 to 10 mins until about 10.15am when I went for a shower! Nothing really since just a lot of lower back pain.. Its so hard to know if things are happening cause during the actual contraction and pain I was like oh I think I should go to hospital but then between the pains I feel ok!! Hopefully its the start..

Hope all the new mammies are doing well, any tips on the hospital bag? Was there anything you didnt need or had too much off and anything you forgot? I still feel like I have too much packed

Is this your first? I totally underestimated the size of the knickers I would need post-partum. The maternity pads are massive, and I was wearing two at a time initially. I stupidly only packed a few pairs of black granny pants, and mainly packed my normal underwear. I packed my more conservative knickers - so not thongs or lacy lingerie or anything - but normal underwear absolutely did not suffice! You also get through quite a few pairs with the blood loss. Had to send my mum out on a granny pants dash to Dunnes a few hours after birth!

Other stupid things I packed included hair dryer and straighteners and make-up wipes - there's no way I was wearing makeup in there as I had no time to apply it at all. I did stick on a small bit of concealer and mascara before heading home as I knew we would take photos when we got home, but that was all. Books and magazines were also totally redundant as I seemed to have no spare time at all in there.

Most useful items were a squeezy water bottle for rinsing myself in the loo, ear plugs, witch hazel. Plastic bags for dirty laundry. Nipple cream and multi mams for the nipples.

Yeah my first so its all new to me!! Thanks for all the tips, I got some lovely full briefs in Dunnes so hoping they will be ok post baby! Its all so glam lol.. I have a little mini hair dryer packed and already thinking I doubt I will be doing my hair when I am in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

It's funny how different people want different things! Totally agree with the big knickers and plenty of them and changes of pyjamas too, don't underestimate the amount of blood!!! But nothing to be alarmed about!

I really wanted a bit of make up cause it simply makes me feel more normal, nothing fancy if course, tinted moisturiser put a bit of colour into my skin for me! Also I have to wash my hair when I have a shower or I don't feel clean so a hair dryer is good, you may not get to use it at all depending on where you are or when you have a shower but you may wish you had it! I have packed my travel one anyway.

Snacks in case you get hungry outside meal times, breastfeeding makes you hungry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Omg the snacks!!!! Hospital dinner is at like 4pm and then nothing until breakfast. And you get sooooo hungry when boobing through the night. So snacks of carbs and nuts. And youll get through tons of water (although no need to bring your own!). The thirst you get after let down is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

Yes to the big knickers and plastic bags to send the washing home in.
    Snacks for the midnight munchies. No to any hairdryer or appliances or magazines. You will gaze at the baby if you have any few minutes to relax most likely. You prob won't have time between visitors and feeding anyway.
    Towels for the shower old ones that you are happy to dump. Although I was so suprised this time hardly any bleeding so you never know. Plenty of spare pj's and comfy socks/slippers.
    Even if you didn't retain fluid in pregnancy it can happen after so leave the rings at home and pack lose socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 carolayna

Already 39+6 today, thought she will be out by now. Had my visit in clinic today to be told that she is small baby.. Measuring what she is supposed to be in week 36-37.. Next week back to clinic again and another week waiting as she is not in a rush to get out

Got a call today from maternity section that I'm short two weeks prsi credits to get maternity benefit.. such a disaster day

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Think this pregnancy was just going to easy. It's all turning south now. Had 37 week clinic appointment yesterday, baby heart beat was low, was sent to hospital for trace, they were not happy so kept me in overnight. Thankfully as movements are good they were satisfied to let me out this evening.
    But as a result of scan now baby is measuring on small side. They are giving me scan next week and following week, but until they are happier with size I am now kicked out of mlu.
    I know it's best to have spotted it but still disappointed and annoyed over it.

Its all happening for me now girls.. Thought my waters started leaking yesterday about 6.30pm but wasnt sure then woke up at 6.30am starting getting regular pains every couple of mins...Still leaking fluid so OH persuaded me to call hospital and they said come in! So came in about 5.30pm and they confirmed waters had gone and I needed to start anti biotics as I should have after 18 hours!! Admitted now and getting the antibiotics and waiting for a bed in labour ward, all a bit scary really for me

Oh best of luck to you!!! What was your due date? Hope all goes smoothly and we wake up tomorrow to news of your little munchkin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Best of luck orange369, it is scary for sure but it'll all be over before you know it and you'll be holding your baby feeling love like you've never known, can't wait to hear about baby's arrival x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Best of luck Orange! Can't wait to hear of your little one's arrival :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Its all happening for me now girls.. Thought my waters started leaking yesterday about 6.30pm but wasnt sure then woke up at 6.30am starting getting regular pains every couple of mins...Still leaking fluid so OH persuaded me to call hospital and they said come in! So came in about 5.30pm and they confirmed waters had gone and I needed to start anti biotics as I should have after 18 hours!! Admitted now and getting the antibiotics and waiting for a bed in labour ward, all a bit scary really for me

Best of luck orange!

Oh best of luck to you!!! What was your due date? Hope all goes smoothly and we wake up tomorrow to news of your little munchkin!

Thanks everyone! Due the 17th so a little few days early

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Best of luck orange..and dont worry it will be fine and totally worth it. We're still in hope to be going home tomo. The heat in these places is unnatural

Baby girl arrived safe at 2.21 weighing 6 pound 1 ounce! Shes so small.. Labour progressed really really quick went from 2cm to 10cm in 20 mins so they whole thing was very intense, less than 2 hrs after I arrived in labour ward she was here.. Think I am still a little in shock and BP is high so waiting on meds now from the doc.. Feeling overwhelmed by it all but so in love :)

Oh wow orange, congratulations on your wee cutie! That is extremely fast- were you given meds to speed the labour up?

It's okay to feel shell shocked after it all. Labour is traumatic for many of us. Talk about it lots and lots if you feel you need to. And enjoy the gorgeous newborn snuggles with your little lady.

Congratulations orange, great news!!! I can empathise with the speed and intensity of an induction, it is very overwhelming but you have Done great and baby girl is your reward!

In other news, contractions started for me at 10 last night and baby boy arrived just before midnight, bout 20 minutes after arrival in holles Street, hot tailed it up to delivery and out he came, all 9lbs of him!

So fast but happy with how it all went, no pain relief for me again but I am happy about that now that I am this side of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Congratulations Orange369 and greenttc!

There can’t be many of us still left now! I’m due the 18th. It’s my first so I’m expecting to go over but lots of bouncing and walking to try speed things up.

greenttc wrote: »
    In other news, contractions started for me at 10 last night and baby boy arrived just before midnight, bout 20 minutes after arrival in holles Street, hot tailed it up to delivery and out he came, all 9lbs of him!

So fast but happy with how it all went, no pain relief for me again but I am happy about that now that I am this side of it!

OH MY GOD!!!!! Well done you! Less than two hours from first pains to baby in arms??? Jaysus that must've been mental. Sorry to be grilling you so much, but did the contractions just start suddenly or did you have warm-up period pains? And did they start at close intervals and get closer and closer really quickly? How did you know that you had to get to hospital straight away? I'm trying to prep myself!

You really had no time at all for pain relief. Warrior.

Enjoy him! I take it you've used your slightly unusual name? Ah this is so lovely! Can't believe we are both having two boys too!

• Advertisement

aidom wrote: »
    Congratulations Orange369 and greenttc!

There can’t be many of us still left now! I’m due the 18th. It’s my first so I’m expecting to go over but lots of bouncing and walking to try speed things up.

I think there's about 6 or so of us still waiting. Myself, aidom, kylith, Carolayna, jutton, jodee08.... anyone else?

I'm due 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think there's about 6 or so of us still waiting. Myself, aidom, kylith, Carolayna, jutton, jodee08.... anyone else?

I'm due 16th.

Yep, I'm due tomorrow. Was in this morning and was offered a sweep again, which I said no to, unless she snuck one in to the internal exam which was none too gentle. If no baby in the next week I'm being induced on the 20th. Little fecker is still head down but is curled up a ball, because heaven forbid it makes things easy for the scan.

Delighted to hear about your little fella, greenttc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Jutton wrote: »
    Think this pregnancy was just going to easy. It's all turning south now. Had 37 week clinic appointment yesterday, baby heart beat was low, was sent to hospital for trace, they were not happy so kept me in overnight. Thankfully as movements are good they were satisfied to let me out this evening.
    But as a result of scan now baby is measuring on small side. They are giving me scan next week and following week, but until they are happier with size I am now kicked out of mlu.
    I know it's best to have spotted it but still disappointed and annoyed over it.

Oh no Jutton, so sorry to hear you’re out of MLU. That’s always the concern. Hopefully baba’s size picks up & they let you back in.
    carolayna wrote: »

Got a call today from maternity section that I'm short two weeks prsi credits to get maternity benefit.. such a disaster day

Oh no! Is there anything they can do?
    Baby girl arrived safe at 2.21 weighing 6 pound 1 ounce! Shes so small.. Labour progressed really really quick went from 2cm to 10cm in 20 mins so they whole thing was very intense, less than 2 hrs after I arrived in labour ward she was here.. Think I am still a little in shock and BP is high so waiting on meds now from the doc.. Feeling overwhelmed by it all but so in love :)

Big huge congrats Orange! What a quick labour. Well done Mama!

Another fast labour! Warrior women!
    Big congrats on your little boy greenttc. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Congrats orange369 and greenttc!

I've been in bed in all waking only for 3 hourly feeds...think I'll go back to sleep again now! Bloody wrecked, think the past few weeks have caught up with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Congrats girls, fantastic news! Functioning on low sleep here but happy out

Huge congrats to you. Hope you get the BP sorted now. Enjoy every minute

Huge congrats to you. Wow another speedy delivery.
    Enjoy every minute.

carolayna wrote: »
    Already 39+6 today, thought she will be out by now. Had my visit in clinic today to be told that she is small baby.. Measuring what she is supposed to be in week 36-37.. Next week back to clinic again and another week waiting as she is not in a rush to get out

Awe sorry to hear that hopefully she will have a growth spurt now. Some babies are just small though.

That's so disappointing about the maternity benefit too.

OH MY GOD!!!!! Well done you! Less than two hours from first pains to baby in arms??? Jaysus that must've been mental. Sorry to be grilling you so much, but did the contractions just start suddenly or did you have warm-up period pains? And did they start at close intervals and get closer and closer really quickly? How did you know that you had to get to hospital straight away? I'm trying to prep myself!

You really had no time at all for pain relief. Warrior.

Enjoy him! I take it you've used your slightly unusual name? Ah this is so lovely! Can't believe we are both having two boys too!

Yes we were brave and used our unusual name, lots of people saying they never heard of it etc but we are happy now we stuck with it!

I downloaded A Contraction timer app and used it, you might remember me saying I had regular pains a few nights ago and thought that was it, but they went after a while a never got stronger. These ones started the same, cramps low down, wasn't able to lie down with pain, about 3 mins apart very regular. I had a shower and warm water didn't ease them either, just kept getting stronger do rang Midwife and cried when she started asking questions!!! So she said it sounded like the real thing. Sped to the hospital all the time getting stronger pains and that was it, baby boy shortly after!! Do hard to know if it was the real deal, would have gone in a little sooner had I known it wasn't false.

Lucky to have parents close by to take wee man too, they were with us in 10 minutes and were shocked when they got a phone call an hour later!!!

• Advertisement

Yes we were brave and used our unusual name, lots of people saying they never heard of it etc but we are happy now we stuck with it!

I downloaded A Contraction timer app and used it, you might remember me saying I had regular pains a few nights ago and thought that was it, but they went after a while a never got stronger. These ones started the same, cramps low down, wasn't able to lie down with pain, about 3 mins apart very regular. I had a shower and warm water didn't ease them either, just kept getting stronger do rang Midwife and cried when she started asking questions!!! So she said it sounded like the real thing. Sped to the hospital all the time getting stronger pains and that was it, baby boy shortly after!! Do hard to know if it was the real deal, would have gone in a little sooner had I known it wasn't false.

Lucky to have parents close by to take wee man too, they were with us in 10 minutes and were shocked when they got a phone call an hour later!!!

I would say they most certainly were shocked! So it was all very fast from the start then. My contractions started at 3 mins apart last time too, there was never any more of a break than that. I guess the lesson to take from your story is if in doubt, get the child minded and get to the hospital? I think I'd rather go in with a false start than be driving in in a panic... that car journey must have been awful for both of you! Did husband just abandon the car at the doors of Holles St? That's another practicality I'm not sure how to deal with if all goes super fast. Would rather get a clamp than have him miss the birth though!

Hope you're recovering well and you have a smoother feeding journey this time around. I'm sure big brother will be only delighted to meet him in the coming days!

Advertisement