Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I knew about it but decided against getting it. The results wouldn't make a difference to me. I'm just going to wait until the 20 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

lunamoon wrote: »
    I knew about it but decided against getting it. The results wouldn't make a difference to me. I'm just going to wait until the 20 week scan.

Yeah, I just think people should know about it and have the choice (if they have the money)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

The Rotunda do this testing for €450 (as far as I understand, there's a viability scan and blood taken for genetic testing, they can also tell you gender if you want) from 10 weeks.

If you allow your info to be used in some study they're running at the moment, it's €350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah we’re waiting for anatomy too though I did know about NIPT.

I definitely overdid it yesterday. Lot of red spotting last night and then petered out completely today. Need to slow down a bit. Thank God midterm is coming

The Rotunda do this testing for €450 (as far as I understand, there's a viability scan and blood taken for genetic testing, they can also tell you gender if you want) from 10 weeks.

If you allow your info to be used in some study they're running at the moment, it's €350.

We said we didn't want to find out the gender! Very few surprises in this world anymore!

clacla82 wrote: »
    We said we didn't want to find out the gender! Very few surprises in this world anymore!

I keep changing my mind about wanting to know the gender. Some days I need to know, others I want to use it as an incentive to push harder when the time comes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We didn’t find out on our first, but I think we will this time because I desperately want a little girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

We found out on both of ours and I want to find out again. I can't do surprises at all.

clacla82 wrote:

No I don't want to know either. I'll find out when he/she gets here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

We are not going to find out gender, would like to know but also know that if I found out I would be disappointed I did it straight after cause the suspense of waiting to find out would be gone and yeah I subscribe to the "very few surprises left in life" train of thought.... Saying that I'm dying to find out, especially cause its the second!

• Advertisement

Just posting here to whine about how crap I feel. I’m so nauseous despite taking Cariban (in fact it’s worse the last few days... I’m 10+1 now), I’m bloody exhausted all the time, I’m constipated to the high heavens, and I’m so moody and angry and me and the husband are at each other’s throats 24/7.... resulting in me having an existential crisis and questioning our relationship and what I want in life and how I’m gonna cope with two under two and can I just rewind 10 years when my biggest worries were how skinny I was and whether I was gonna pass my driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Oh no Caitriona :( big hugs!! Remember that these heightened emotions will pass and you and the other half will laugh about the things driving you mad now. Try Fybogel for the constipation, I've heard others recommend it. As for two under two - fair play and it'll be madness, but your kids will be so close growing up and you can't quantify that kind of relationship. My mam had my brother in 82, my sister in 84, then us twins in 85!!! Four kids unde 3!!! So as crazy as it'll be for you, it could always be worse:P

greenttc wrote:
    We are not going to find out gender, would like to know but also know that if I found out I would be disappointed I did it straight after cause the suspense of waiting to find out would be gone and yeah I subscribe to the "very few surprises left in life" train of thought.... Saying that I'm dying to find out, especially cause its the second!

Totally the same greenttc, we'd love to know but would definitely prefer to wait til the birth so know we'd regret finding out.

We will find out again I think. I loved knowing and he was a "he" for months before he was born. TBH my labour and post birth is a complete blur to me and my husband had all the first moments with him after they cleared his neck from the chord. He did the first skin to skin, dressed him and did first nappy etc while I was still seriously contracting then after birth and then being stitched. I regretted a bit missing out on the initial skin to skin but tbh I wasn't capable of paying a huge amount of attention. And his temp took a while to regulate so I got lots of skin to skin under orders from the midwifes in the first 24hrs. To the point that my poor dad (grandad) didn't get to hold him after travelling three hours to the hospital because he had to be with me! He didn't complain to be fair!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Just posting here to whine about how crap I feel. I’m so nauseous despite taking Cariban (in fact it’s worse the last few days... I’m 10+1 now), I’m bloody exhausted all the time, I’m constipated to the high heavens, and I’m so moody and angry and me and the husband are at each other’s throats 24/7.... resulting in me having an existential crisis and questioning our relationship and what I want in life and how I’m gonna cope with two under two and can I just rewind 10 years when my biggest worries were how skinny I was and whether I was gonna pass my driving test.

It's ok caitrionanic I am just angry and cross with everyone the whole way through on nos.2&3 I am finding it has settled now in the third trimester a bit.But god EVERYTHING annoyed me otherwise.I knew it but couldn't help it.Just kept telling myself it wasn't forever.
    Two under is very hard but you will cope....because it doesn't last forever either. That became my mantra on my second maternity leave....tomorrow is another day. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can’t help with the nausea, but I recommend a few things for the constipation. First; get a small stool/box about a foot high and use it to put your feet up when you’re on the loo: it makes it much easier. Dufulac is a stool softener I was recommended in the chemist, but it takes a couple of days to kick in. I’m also eating a lot of grapes, oranges, figs, and stewed prunes. Stay away from apples and bananas as they’re quite binding. Up your intake of veg and look for any way to get more fibre in your diet: brown rice and pasta, whole grain bread etc.

A glass of prune juice every day worked wonders for me last time caitriona,I just built it into my routine and it kept me regular throughout. Easier said than done with the nausea though I know.

Just posting here to whine about how crap I feel. I’m so nauseous despite taking Cariban (in fact it’s worse the last few days... I’m 10+1 now), I’m bloody exhausted all the time, I’m constipated to the high heavens, and I’m so moody and angry and me and the husband are at each other’s throats 24/7.... resulting in me having an existential crisis and questioning our relationship and what I want in life and how I’m gonna cope with two under two and can I just rewind 10 years when my biggest worries were how skinny I was and whether I was gonna pass my driving test.[/quote

Plenty of water too and gentle exercise if you can manage it. It will get things moving. I know easier said than done.

Plenty of water too and some gentle exercise if you can manage it will get things moving. I know easier said than done.

• Advertisement

Got a date for my scan next week can't wait.

Has anyone bought anything for baby yet? I'm trying to wait until we find out boy or girl but I know I may cave and buy some neutrals next week after the scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I was looking at the sets of babygrows in Next... they are lovely! Probably going to wait til May to buy anything though.

I got a free baby box through doing an online quiz on 'baby university'.

Entropy7 wrote: »
    I was looking at the sets of babygrows in Next... they are lovely! Probably going to wait til May to buy anything though.

I got a free baby box through doing an online quiz on 'baby university'.

Can I ask, did you have to collect it or could you get it posted to you? I’ve just sat through all those videos and did the quiz, only to discover I can only collect it from Wexford or limerick! (I’m in Dublin)

I have relatives in Wexford who picked it up for me.

Oh I'm in Wexford in two weeks, what is this thing? I'm off to google!

Felt myself turning green during a whole school assembly this morning, thankfully made it out in time and got sick in the toilet! Had two little pukes weeks ago but nothing like this, my stomach was heaving. Kids arrived back to class about 5 minutes later so I just had to suck it up and get on with it!

Felt odd all afternoon and slept for an hour on the couch. I'm taking both as good signs of hormones at work, I wasn't really having any symptoms for about 10 days so I'm glad my body is at least acting pregnant again!

• Advertisement

Oh god, that sounds horrible!!! You poor wee thing. Did the nausea let up after you threw up?

I’m alsi noticing a worsening in nausea and vomiting in the last week. I’m 10+3 now. I’m on meds for it but I puked again the other day for the first time in a few weeks, and the 24/7 nausea has got stronger.

I’m pretty miserable tbh, and my toddler is driving me crazy.

Oh god, that sounds horrible!!! You poor wee thing. Did the nausea let up after you threw up?

Ah thanks I'm grand now. I was shaky for a bit but I work with a really supportive sna so we just brought them outside and then i took my tea break. Felt **** for a couple of hours at home after eating some toast but ate lots of Meanies and that helped somehow!!

You must be really struggling with the toddler and nausea, hopefully it will ease off once you're out of the first trimester.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Felt myself turning green during a whole school assembly this morning, thankfully made it out in time and got sick in the toilet! Had two little pukes weeks ago but nothing like this, my stomach was heaving. Kids arrived back to class about 5 minutes later so I just had to suck it up and get on with it!

Felt odd all afternoon and slept for an hour on the couch. I'm taking both as good signs of hormones at work, I wasn't really having any symptoms for about 10 days so I'm glad my body is at least acting pregnant again!

You poor thing it's horrible isn't it. I've been caught short a few times even though you would think I would be well used to it. Hope you feeling better now.

How is everyone else feeling? I was hoping the 2nd trimester glow would have kicked in but no my body didn't get that memo yet. Still waiting and my oldest is 8 ha.

Scan on Wednesday so hopefully will start breaking the news then and at least won't have to pretend I feel fantastic.

Is there anything worthwhile in the baby box?
    I've been having a little browse online at all things baby have picked out a couple of things already just don't want to start buying too soon.

I've been fine since thanks lovelemons :) coming down with a cold so feeling like a temperature coming on so taking paracetamol and huffing my inhalers. Went to out of hours doctor today as I really don't want it to develop into a full blown chest infection.

Very bloated going to have to pick up some maternity skirts and jeans this week as nothing is fitting properly anymore. I'm almost 11 weeks. Don't want to buy anything for baby just yet.

My dating scan is not until Wednesday fortnight so booked in with Evie for Wednesday week as I'll be 12 weeks that day and want to be able to tell everyone without worrying or waiting until my dating scan.

• Advertisement

The first trimester is playing with my head. Constant nausea despite being on medication, and occasional vomiting, has me grumpy and glum. Myself and the husband are arguing a lot, and the baby/toddler/whatever-stage-he’s-at is driving me mental. And I’m just so exhausted all the time. I swear I was starting to get a bit more energy at this stage last time.

I’m questioning EVERYTHING. Do I really want this baby? How am I going to cope with two under two? Why didn’t we wait longer? Has our marriage got legs? Am I happy? Would I be happier on my own? How awful would it be being a single mum or two? And everyone would judge. My family would be so disappointed. Etc etc.

I remember going a bit crazy like this on my last pregnancy. Hoping I climb out of this rut soon.

Booking appointment and scan in the Coombe on a Wednesday for me though it’s actually a couple of days before I hit 12 weeks. Still spotting on and off here and gavw myself a heart attack last night with major cramps. Turned out to be constipation so will get on that now. Not that surprising since tummy has been brutal this week so there’s been a lot of plain carbs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Signs are stil good mirrorwall, it may just be a feature of this pregnancy for you but I know it's not nice.

Caitrionanic it is SO hard!I know I've said this before, but I know EXACTLY how you feel.Don't be afraid to say it to your midwife/doctor at appointment that you are finding it very tough emotionally-they can put you in touch with some support in the hospital.Hormones can play havoc with you as much during the pregnancy as after, it's not your fault.But with the toddler too, having an extra (impartial) shoulder to cry on can help so much.I don't know how old your toddler is but they don't get any easier for now!!!!You will be ok with the new baby, you just surround yourself with all the support you can get now and then.My husband is still asking are we really SURE we are doing the right thing having a third....bit late now.... :-)

The first trimester is playing with my head. Constant nausea despite being on medication, and occasional vomiting, has me grumpy and glum. Myself and the husband are arguing a lot, and the baby/toddler/whatever-stage-he’s-at is driving me mental. And I’m just so exhausted all the time. I swear I was starting to get a bit more energy at this stage last time.

I’m questioning EVERYTHING. Do I really want this baby? How am I going to cope with two under two? Why didn’t we wait longer? Has our marriage got legs? Am I happy? Would I be happier on my own? How awful would it be being a single mum or two? And everyone would judge. My family would be so disappointed. Etc etc.

I remember going a bit crazy like this on my last pregnancy. Hoping I climb out of this rut soon.

Awe I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully its hormones and will pass. Have had many of the thoughts you've listed myself. Even gave myself a headache from crying so much yesterday. It must be extra hard with a small baby that needs you so much, try and take any offers of help from your husband or family or friends I'm sure no one would begrudge you a little break

Booking appointment and scan in the Coombe on a Wednesday for me though it’s actually a couple of days before I hit 12 weeks. Still spotting on and off here and gavw myself a heart attack last night with major cramps. Turned out to be constipation so will get on that now. Not that surprising since tummy has been brutal this week so there’s been a lot of plain carbs

Lots of people have spotting and it turns out to be perfectly OK. Wednesday can't come soon enough for you I'm sure. Hope you get a handle on the constipation it's awful isn't it.

Big breath Catrionic, it’s a big decision and there’s a lot of hormones and tiredness rolling around right now. You’ll do great!

Has anyone questions they are asking at booking in? trying to be more organised than first time when I was a bit stunned by it all

I’m asking
    -at what stage does rhesus negative status become a problem with ongoing small bleeds and what’s the change in approach they have posters up about in the hospital
    -am I likely to have HBP and very fast labour again
    -when is GD test (I’m high BMI so I know i’ll get it)
    -growth was low last time, was there ever a cause found for it because the last scan at 36 weeks ended up being his actual birth weight
    -If my labour is as fast and baby is in distress I assume I amnt allowed use the pool?

Big breath Catrionic, it’s a big decision and there’s a lot of hormones and tiredness rolling around right now. You’ll do great!

Has anyone questions they are asking at booking in? trying to be more organised than first time when I was a bit stunned by it all

I’m asking
    -at what stage does rhesus negative status become a problem with ongoing small bleeds and what’s the change in approach they have posters up about in the hospital
    -am I likely to have HBP and very fast labour again
    -when is GD test (I’m high BMI so I know i’ll get it)
    -growth was low last time, was there ever a cause found for it because the last scan at 36 weeks ended up being his actual birth weight
    -If my labour is as fast and baby is in distress I assume I amnt allowed use the pool?

I hadn't thought of having questions ready by my growth scan at about 35/36 weeks wasn't far off the birth weight at 41week so maybe I should ask that too. It sounds like you are well prepared with your questions anyway which is great.

Lovelemons wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of having questions ready by my growth scan at about 35/36 weeks wasn't far off the birth weight at 41week so maybe I should ask that too. It sounds like you are well prepared with your questions anyway which is great.

Yeah, I remember from the last time that I found the 12 week appointment to the next appointment very long and I didn’t have answers to questions I wanted to ask

Oh Caitrionanic I just want to give you a big hug <3 Vent, bitch and moan to anyone who'll listen and sure you've probably been fit to kill your OH at times before and you weathered that storm so you'll get through this one too.

Mirrorwall14 you're super organised with the questions, fair play I'll follow your lead and think of some too. I hadn't really thought about having questions.

I've been really distracted with packing up the house to move so it's helped me not to watch the calendar too closely counting down to the next appt. Of course the baby is still on my mind all the time but the distraction is good too.

Caitriona you will get through this time, you are having a tough time of it now with so many difficult symptoms, of course you are questioning everything but as you said you were the same last time and you managed just fine in the end so you can do it again and you will get through this patch..

I already had a "booking" appointment and scan a few weeks ago so don't have another appointment till 14 weeks. I have less symptoms at this stage than I did the last time which is kinda freaking me out. Just hope the little bean is okay in there.

Dya know what is really not helping and getting to me quite a bit though, it's all the 8th ammendment stuff from both sides, the stories that I am reading about all sorts of horror stories of things that can go wrong especially at the early stage are just everywhere and very hard to avoid, I know they are just trying to illustrate the importance of their argument and it is a hugely important topic but its very hard to read and not worry about my own baby. There is no sensitivity to pregnant women at all. And just to be clear I am talking about both the yes and no voters. Is anyone else feeling the same as me?

• Advertisement

Tbh I am avoiding everything to do with the 8th! I’ve always been pro life, and not for religious reasons, but I feel like there’s now such a stigma to being a young person and pro life, and if you say as much then you are attacked and accused of oppressing all women (and I am very pro-feminism in general).

I know my opinion isn’t going to change, so I’m just not talking about it. But yes, some of the shock stories from both sides are pretty gut-wrenching and it’s harder still when you are pregnant yourself.

Thanks girls for all the supportive comments. I think I’m gonna say to the midwife at my booking appt on 11th April that I’m feeling depressed and see what she says.

The baby box is a cardboard box with a mattress, a babygrow, a mattress cover and a blanket. The pharmacy where I got mine threw in a little present too.

greenttc wrote: »
    Caitriona you will get through this time, you are having a tough time of it now with so many difficult symptoms, of course you are questioning everything but as you said you were the same last time and you managed just fine in the end so you can do it again and you will get through this patch..

I already had a "booking" appointment and scan a few weeks ago so don't have another appointment till 14 weeks. I have less symptoms at this stage than I did the last time which is kinda freaking me out. Just hope the little bean is okay in there.

Dya know what is really not helping and getting to me quite a bit though, it's all the 8th ammendment stuff from both sides, the stories that I am reading about all sorts of horror stories of things that can go wrong especially at the early stage are just everywhere and very hard to avoid, I know they are just trying to illustrate the importance of their argument and it is a hugely important topic but its very hard to read and not worry about my own baby. There is no sensitivity to pregnant women at all. And just to be clear I am talking about both the yes and no voters. Is anyone else feeling the same as me?

Becoming pregnant has actually made me even more pro-choice, but I can understand more where other people are coming from. I don't like the extremes on either side but I do think the graphic imagery used by the No side is very distressing to anyone who has had a miscarriage or FFA or an abortion for any of the range of reasons they have one.

I don't think there is enough support or acknowledgement for pregnant women AT ALL. We are expected to believe it is the most natural thing in the world and to just get on with it.

Being pregnant has made me realise that it really is a man's world. We worry about conceiving, take vitamins, look after ourselves, frantically do ovulation/pregnancy tests, monitor our cycle, our discharge....then we (thankfully) get pregnant and it is a constant worry whether it is spotting, cramps, general anxiety about viability of the pregnancy, health of the baby, complications... never mind tolerating symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, sore breasts, extreme fatigue, rollercoaster mood swings....add in worrying about what not to eat, not being able to take basic medicine for a cold, changes in our bodies...at the end of this there is the terrifying prospect of labour, followed by recovery time, breastfeeding, time off work with possible impact to career...

And men just sail on through. Don't get me wrong, my husband is fantastic, but do I think he woke up every morning and googled miscarriage risk at 5wks 3days, miscarriage risk at 5wks 4 days....no. Does he still slightly panic every single time he goes tot he toilet in case there is blood there? Has he been hiding away for the past 8 weeks avoiding people until the 12 week scan?

I am self-employed and will have to take time off at my own expense, possibly lose clients long term, not to mention have no income for however many months and wait for it to build back up again when I do return. I am the high earner so this is difficult both personally and financially in general, and I may never be able to earn the same money again realistically.... while he will just continue to work and earn as normal.

My number one concern in all of this is OBVIOUSLY the health of my baby but it is a tough time mentally and physically and to reiterate, I do not think we get enough credit, appreciation, or support.

RANT OVER!!!

PS. I am already sick to my back teeth of soda water and FLIPPING lime.

clacla82 wrote: »
    Becoming pregnant has actually made me even more pro-choice, but I can understand more where other people are coming from. I don't like the extremes on either side but I do think the graphic imagery used by the No side is very distressing to anyone who has had a miscarriage or FFA or an abortion for any of the range of reasons they have one.

I don't think there is enough support or acknowledgement for pregnant women AT ALL. We are expected to believe it is the most natural thing in the world and to just get on with it.

I'm the same. I was on the fence beforehand but now that I'm pregnant I am very much pro-choice. Until I got pregnant I just thought the 8th amendment was about abortion. It's so much more than that and effects every pregnant woman.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I've been fine since thanks lovelemons :) coming down with a cold so feeling like a temperature coming on so taking paracetamol and huffing my inhalers. Went to out of hours doctor today as I really don't want it to develop into a full blown chest infection.

Very bloated going to have to pick up some maternity skirts and jeans this week as nothing is fitting properly anymore. I'm almost 11 weeks. Don't want to buy anything for baby just yet.

My dating scan is not until Wednesday fortnight so booked in with Evie for Wednesday week as I'll be 12 weeks that day and want to be able to tell everyone without worrying or waiting until my dating scan.

The bloating is actually so annoying, I have had to buy maternity jeans already but terrified someone will cop them if my top lifts up! My sister-in-law told me she had that and it went after 12 weeks and then she didn't get a bump until 20 wks, so I am hoping there will be a window where I can just wear my own clothes and feel a bit normal!

lunamoon wrote: »
    I'm the same. I was on the fence beforehand but now that I'm pregnant I am very much pro-choice. Until I got pregnant I just thought the 8th amendment was about abortion. It's so much more than that and effects every pregnant woman.

The thing that annoys me the most is being lectured to by people (on both sides) who have never been pregnant, never seen a scan at 5/6 weeks, or a heartbeat at 7 weeks, or watched blood coming on and off for the first trimester, or had a flipping clue how it feels to wonder will that heartbeat be there, will it get to 12 weeks, will it look ok at 20 weeks......it annoys the sh%&e out of me to be preached at by men and women who have never had to experience that.There are two things really bugging me lately, that stupid argument about when life actually starts....and going on about abortion with the focus on the foetus/baby, while totally 100% ignoring the fact that the only person who has to make the decision and has to live with it is the MOTHER.Coz the crowds of pro-life/pro-choicers aren't going to be the ones hearing that news, making that decision, going through that process and having to live with it for their lives afterwards.Annoys me so much.

Sorry.Ranting too, and I'm not even in this thread.....apologies.

Ha, I have definitely sparked a bit of a rant but good to hear I am not alone!

I was always pro choice with no doubt in my mind but having a baby and being pregnant again has firmly put me on the fence now, I am still pro choice in many ways but now also see how precious life is (from the very beginning of conception in my mind) I really take it on a case by case basis and see the need for abortion in some cases but can feel very against it I others but then who am I to say what a women should do, it is her business but then is it our business to advocate for unborn babies. It's a total minefield and I don't know what I think anymore.

Saying all that I didn't mean to start any debate at all, I think it is a very personal vote and will be chasing any campaigners from my door. I just can't stand the social media campaign it is making my nerves work in overdrive and my worries are magnified a million times i am finding it so so tough. If I hear one more story of a missed miscarriage I will explode with anxiety!

The quicker the vote happens the better and the quicker I get my next scan in two week the better too!

Clacla I could not agree more with every single word you've written.

I have always been pro-choice. My health care is no one else's business, and it's not my place to tell anyone else how to manage theirs.

Being pregant now has made me even more sensitive to the arguments for repealing the 8th amendment. Situations like the death of Savita Halappanvar should be a huge wake up call to the people of Ireland. I feel like there's no voice for women like Savita. Are we not allowed to ask "What about me? What about the value of my life?"

As far as I can see, the pro-life side are really just pro-birth. There seems to be no care or compassion for the women who find themselves in very difficult situations, no matter the cause. And once the baby is born, they have no interest in the rearing of that child. Believe me, services for children who don't have a safe home to go to are strained.

We planned this pregnancy and although I'm feeling really sick and sorry for myself at the moment, we are still happy and excited about the long term and have (had to) start telling family and work about the pregnancy. I have a happy supportive home life and know we will be able to safely care for a child. I cannot imagine how a woman in a crisis pregnancy situation would cope with the sickness, secrecy, possibly dread and uncertain future.

For women who receive a diagnosis of fatal foetal abnormalities, I cannot think of anything sadder than waiting for the loss of your child. Prolonging the suffering for these women is so unnecessarily cruel.

Some people support termination in the case of rape or incest. These situations can be very difficult to prove, or may take years to be resolved. Why do the circumstances of conception of a crisis pregnancy make any difference?

I am concerned about how my long term career will be affected by taking a year out. After a health and safety assessment last week, I have a feeling that I will be moved out of the work area I do. I have to try to look at it as an opportunity to learn a new (related) skill while keeping my bump safe, but actually I love the work I do and really don't want to leave it. Also I'm on a contract which will expire while I'm on maternity leave, so I may not even have a job to come back to. I might be replaced in my current role next month and by the time I'd be ready to get back to work, my replacement would have been in my job for well over a year.

I’m pro choice because I believe it is our body and we should get to decide. However I don’t think I could ever have an abortion myself unless in the case of FFA. For me though my miscarriage has made me despise the 8th amendment. The treatment of people miscarrying is awful, essentially wait and see just in case. Pregnancy is 99.9% over but we won’t treat you yet just in case. Or later in pregnancy ‘oh you don’t like our plan for your birth? Tough ****’

And the pro life have burnt all bridges for me with the completely bloody horrific images they are inflicting on me. I didn’t abort. I sill had to see that and it haunts me. F off for yourselves

• Advertisement

Steadfast pro choice here and the more that comes out in this debate I just don't know how anyone in this day and age an still attest to being pro life. I really don't mean to disrespect anyone here as we're all entitled to our opinions but I just cannot understand that side. Irish people are having abortions in this country and abroad even with the 8th amendment in place. We need to support those people who need abortions.

No story is more worthy than another in my view as I feel it is a healthcare issue and is the choice of the pregnant person/couple alone.

That said, the stories really touching a nerve are those of women who are miscarrying much wanted and longer for pregnancies, yet if a tiny heartbeat is detected, they're being made to return for scans week on week until the heartbeat is gone, knowing that growth has stopped and bleeding heavily. The 8th amendment says their doomed pregnancy must continue and they must visit hospitals for repeat scans alongside those with healthy pregnancies knowing their baby is already lost but not being allowed to grieve yet. Where is the compassion for woman or child in that situation?

Another horrific story I read was of a woman whose diabetes led to blindness in pregnancy. Undergoing treatment which multiple doctors said was not harmful to her pregnancy, she was alerted by her maternity hospital that they were going to start giving her steroids to develop baby's lungs and perform an early section so her continued eyesight treatment couldn't harm the baby, despite multiple professionals defending the treatment as safe. They were essentially seizing control of her womb and disregarding her desire to safely carry baby to term. Read 'In her shoes' on Facebook. That's some scary sh1t.

I don't mean any disrespect for anyone pro life here as you are entitled to your opinion and I truly mean that. I am just personally horrified by what the 8th amendment does to women in this country. It's not as straightforward as unwanted pregnancies=abortion.

Sorry if this issue is derailing the thread or upsetting people but it is the elephant in the room for us as pregnant women in this crucial debate.

Advertisement