Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Congratulations Catrionanic, and welcome baby Conor!

Sounds like a lovely birth!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Congratulations Catrionanic!

I’m still waiting for any signs of kick off. 3 days overdue now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Aw congrats Catrionanic, delighted for you! Sounds intense but I'm glad baby is here well ahead of your house move. Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

threepeas wrote: »
    Sounds like baby is heading for the exit. Hope you are ready and best of luck.

Thank you threepeas, here’s hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

Congrats Catrionanic! Sounds like a brill labour.
    I also had a epi on my first and thought the pushing would be much more painful but I didn’t mind it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Had to stay overnight as delivered at 9pm, but got let out at 11 this morning..Didn't get a wink of sleep so delighted to be home.

It was so great for him to come naturally rather than an induction this time. It has totally changed my opinion of childbirth. I was so traumatised after my first, but I genuinely would do it all again tomorrow if it could be the same as this birth.

Recovery so much quicker too. I have control of my bladder this time and am bleeding less, and just generally feel so much less weak and drained. Breastfeeding going okay but latch a bit tricky for now. It's like starting all over again!

His big brother is totally in love with him (and even declared to us how much he loves Baby Conor when he met him), and that's the best bit of all.

Best of luck to the mammies still waiting. I was 40+4. Worth the wait, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Had to stay overnight as delivered at 9pm, but got let out at 11 this morning..Didn't get a wink of sleep so delighted to be home.

It was so great for him to come naturally rather than an induction this time. It has totally changed my opinion of childbirth. I was so traumatised after my first, but I genuinely would do it all again tomorrow if it could be the same as this birth.

Recovery so much quicker too. I have control of my bladder this time and am bleeding less, and just generally feel so much less weak and drained. Breastfeeding going okay but latch a bit tricky for now. It's like starting all over again!

His big brother is totally in love with him (and even declared to us how much he loves Baby Conor when he met him), and that's the best bit of all.

Best of luck to the mammies still waiting. I was 40+4. Worth the wait, of course!

Congrats Catrionanic...great news delighted for you. You went well over ya poor thing was he a big baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Entropy7 wrote: »
    I was told not to actively pump until after 3 weeks breastfeeding. That's just so you set up your supply tailored to the baby's requirements. If you are making more milk than that , you could end up with too much milk... which can lead to trouble (blocked ducts, mastitis).

I'm feeding on demand which is working out at 10-20 mins every 2 -3 hours, using one or both sides. I'm only using the haakaa pump when the stuff is leaking out anyway. I have a medela swing pump which I'm looking to get going in a week or two, to build up a stock in the freezer for one or two date nights over Christmas.

I'm 2.5 weeks in and it's going so well, but I want to know she will take a bottle of expressed milk at some point. I'm feeding on demand and it takes a full hour - twice both sides plus a nappy change and burping - and during cluster feeds these can roll right into one or two more feeds.. It's exhausting. Also now worried I have thrush as I seem to match some of the symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

clacla82 wrote: »
    I'm 2.5 weeks in and it's going so well, but I want to know she will take a bottle of expressed milk at some point. I'm feeding on demand and it takes a full hour - twice both sides plus a nappy change and burping - and during cluster feeds these can roll right into one or two more feeds.. It's exhausting. Also now worried I have thrush as I seem to match some of the symptoms

Cla Cla I remember sitting there for four hour stretches per feed with my first lad and that was his normal so to me a one or two hour stretch sounds like a dream. I ended up combination feeding in the end. Its fairly normal in the early days as far as I know. I had small little baskets packet with everything I might want, remote controls, bottles of water, crackers, muslin cloths, lanolin cream, all the stuff it was impossible to stand up and get cause you were feeding. My little basket was a saviour and I had one upstairs and one downstairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Delighted to hear your little man arrived Catriona.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone with the ‘No, no’; I went with the stereotypical ‘I can’t do this!’ and a bit of a refusal to cooperate with instructions. The midwife had to get quite stern with me.

• Advertisement

Audi02, he was 7,15. This was after he had spent an hour feeding though!

Night Two over here and it's tough. Currently feeding for 7 hours straight and counting. Also getting awful cramps in my womb and thighs. Wish they would stop.

I found the after pains awful! I took painkillers for it they were so bad. Only last a few days, hang on in there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Congratulations Catrionanic! What an amazing birth story. I’m envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Huge congrats!! Sounds like a positive experience for you and great to get home so fast!!

Has anyone experienced high blood pressure after baby? Mine has been high and now on tablets 3 times a day.. Just wondering if anyone is similar, would this been a long term thing!? Also has anyone registered the baby yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Audi02, he was 7,15. This was after he had spent an hour feeding though!

Night Two over here and it's tough. Currently feeding for 7 hours straight and counting. Also getting awful cramps in my womb and thighs. Wish they would stop.

Wow well done you

Orange369 wrote: »
    Huge congrats!! Sounds like a positive experience for you and great to get home so fast!!

Has anyone experienced high blood pressure after baby? Mine has been high and now on tablets 3 times a day.. Just wondering if anyone is similar, would this been a long term thing!? Also has anyone registered the baby yet?

Yep registration all done here, better for me to just get it done and ticked off the list of things to do instead of putting it off, has to be done within three months

I also had horrific after pains, they were awful, like I was still in labour and I was given string pain killers for them. Way worse when breastfeeding too. Thankfully it didn't last too long. It definitely wasn't like that on my first baby so was very unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

kylith wrote: »
    Delighted to hear your little man arrived Catriona.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone with the ‘No, no’; I went with the stereotypical ‘I can’t do this!’ and a bit of a refusal to cooperate with instructions. The midwife had to get quite stern with me.

I went with the i can't do this line too. Although I'm not sure that I was quite as calm as this post comes across

Tmi alert. I am having a bit of a throbbing pain down below on and off. My little one is nearly 3 weeks and this seems to be a new thing that's started up in the past couple of days. It's not bad enough to need painkillers should I get it checked out by gp or would I be time wasting.

Tmi alert. I am having a bit of a throbbing pain down below on and off. My little one is nearly 3 weeks and this seems to be a new thing that's started up in the past couple of days. It's not bad enough to need painkillers should I get it checked out by gp or would I be time wasting.

I don't think anything is time wasting if you are concerned about it. It could be just part of the healing process but peace of mind is always good. I know the Midwife told me to just watch out for discharge or strange smells and they are indicators of infection so if you dont have those it's probably okay. Maybe see how it is in the morning and take it easy this evening /tonight and it might ease off with rest

• Advertisement

I am not sure what I was saying during labour, I certainly was not compliant with Midwife requests until they got quite stern with me although saying that, they did want me to lie on my back at one stage and I outright refused and ended up giving birth leaning over the bed which I am really happy about, it was far less painful that way. I think I swore a bit too and I never ever ever swear in normal circumstances! Poor midwives get awful abuse!

Also TMI, but baby is 10 days old now and I’ve still been bleeding but mostly brown and not much. Just got a gush of bright red bleeding there. Maybe the amount you’d normally get during a gush during your period .. anyone know if this normal?

Also TMI, but baby is 10 days old now and I’ve still been bleeding but mostly brown and not much. Just got a gush of bright red bleeding there. Maybe the amount you’d normally get during a gush during your period .. anyone know if this normal?

That sounds normal enough to me. Sometimes the bright red comes back if you have been more active. I had the same every time I went for a walk on my first two. This time have been taking it as easy as possible but still having brown and bits of red 3 weeks later. I expect it will continue for another while.

greenttc wrote: »
    I don't think anything is time wasting if you are concerned about it. It could be just part of the healing process but peace of mind is always good. I know the Midwife told me to just watch out for discharge or strange smells and they are indicators of infection so if you dont have those it's probably okay. Maybe see how it is in the morning and take it easy this evening /tonight and it might ease off with rest

Thanks
    I think I can see something red down there no idea if it's an infection or a pile or what coz don't know what these things look like. I'll head for the gp anyway no point continuing to Dr Google in only making myself worse.

Had a really tough day today and feeling crap. Husband went back to work last Monday but I found today tougher. I think the monotony really just hit me, washing bottles, sterilizing them, making them, trying to get her to drink them, and the same all over again.

I feel like hubby's life has barely changed, he gets his alone time on the way to and from work, while I'm completely consumed by the baby's needs. He does his bit but it's like I am always switched on and having to think of what's next. He loves her and does feed and change her but not as much as me I suppose.

Just one of those days where everything went wrong any way too and spent hours in traffic to visit his mother and I just wish I hadn't bothered. Spending tomorrow in bed.

That sounds normal enough to me. Sometimes the bright red comes back if you have been more active. I had the same every time I went for a walk on my first two. This time have been taking it as easy as possible but still having brown and bits of red 3 weeks later. I expect it will continue for another while.

Thanks! After a bit of googling it seems it might be normal. I did do more than usual today. Great excuse to have a day in bed tomorrow. I’ll call holles street if it doesn’t stop.
    Holles street told me that I can back anytime up to 6 weeks if there’s any problems with me. But the children’s hospital for baba.

I am dreading my husband going back to work, sounds like you had a rough day.
    I think it’ll take me a while to get my head around two kids. Dreading the first time I’m left to put two kids to sleep :-o

I would ring up about the red blood, personally. They'll only reassure you and stop you worrying!

Mammoth 17 hour cluster feed last night and this morning. Milk is now in and he's not even 48 hours old! Hoping tonight will be better but not counting on it. I haven't slept for one minute in two nights now. He also has only done one wee so I have to wake him regularly to feed for that reason anyway.

Went to the toilet last night to find some placenta in my knickers! The midwife showed me the placenta in great detail (I love all that sort of stuff) so I knew what it was. But I couldn't face going back into hospital so I just kept it in a bag and showed the midwife when she got here this afternoon. Says this doesn't happen often and I've to be careful about bleeding or temperatures or feeling unwell, and go back in if so. Hopefully that'll be it though and there's no more left in there.

Otherwise all is good. I am also dreading my first bedtime on my own with the two of them in two weeks time! How will we cope arghhhhh!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Had a really tough day today and feeling crap. Husband went back to work last Monday but I found today tougher. I think the monotony really just hit me, washing bottles, sterilizing them, making them, trying to get her to drink them, and the same all over again.

I feel like hubby's life has barely changed, he gets his alone time on the way to and from work, while I'm completely consumed by the baby's needs. He does his bit but it's like I am always switched on and having to think of what's next. He loves her and does feed and change her but not as much as me I suppose.

Just one of those days where everything went wrong any way too and spent hours in traffic to visit his mother and I just wish I hadn't bothered. Spending tomorrow in bed.

CashQ that is totally normal.Honest to god, I hate my husband's guts at times.I will try not to rant too much, but he comes in, has dinner, does bedtime with the kids, does a bit of cleaning with me then wants to watch tv while I am still going doing the mounds of laundry, making lunches, putting out clothes, thinking about tomorrow's dinner, and generally tidying.I could go on forever.Unfortunately I am my own worst enemy in some ways, but jeez, would a bit of initiative kill him...do I have to tell him every single thing that needs doing?Then he gets left alone with the three for about two hours the odd time, and I come home to the house a bombsite, and the kids alive.And that's it-nothing done.

You need to give yourself a good ten-twelve weeks to really get a groove.Suit yourself and only yourself.Get OH more involved and leave him with the baby when you get a chance.Be nice to yourself.

But yes.You will hate the sight of him many times over the next few years!!!!

Shesty thank you so much for the honest reply! That's it exactly, no initiative and needing to be asked to do everything and I hate when I find myself thanking him for doing stuff as I never get a word of thanks! But he really needs that kind of positive reinforcement! He does do a good bit but he could leave things waiting to be done where I just can't, and then I feel like I'm nagging him asking him to do things that we've already agreed he is responsible for. Then if I ask him to do anything extra I feel bad even though he doesn't see all the things I do all day every day so he probably thinks I'm just offloading everything on to him!

I'm getting into the habit of leaving all the evening feeds to him and I try to go for a lie down when I can, although I do want to spend the evening with him too. It's all just so new I suppose and we need to find a new rhythm, I just hate that it has to be stated by me and he doesn't just get on with it.

• Advertisement

Me again - ladies does this sound like a little growth spurt or what:

7pm 3oz bottle
    8pm 1oz (end of above bottle)
    9pm 4oz bottle
    11.45pm 3oz bottle

11oz in 5 hours seems like a lot!

She took her usual 3/4oz every 3/4 hours as normal throughout the day, so I can't really understand the hunger! We did some skin to skin tonight for the first time in a while, could this have prompted a bit of extra hunger?

Advertisement