Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

shesty wrote: »
    Guestboarder, I went to 42 weeks with my second, and I had prodromal labour for about 5 weeks!! I remember being in the supermarket breathing through contractions and the woman at the checkout looking convinced I was going to go into full blown labour on the spot (she had been through a few herself!) and me waving at her and saying "ah no, it's going nowhere, it's just a thing it's doing at the moment!".I was 100% convinced from 37 weeks I would go any day, given how bad it was. Little fecker kicked into full blown labour about 3 hours before I was due to head to the Rotunda for an induction. Had the sweep and everything at 41 weeks - it upped the ante with the contractions but that was all! She decided to come exactly when it suited her (and she's still the same!).

In hindsight I wonder if it was because she was facing the wrong way - like towards my....front?...instead of the back. Yoga positions on all fours, swaying, and child's pose and the like can help that, maybe you could try some of them?You poor thing, I absolutely feel your pain, it's a like a slow form of torture.:eek::eek:

Oh wow Shesty this is exactly me right now! And you couldn’t have described it better, slow torture!!!
    I’m 9 days over now and having contractions again every 5-10 minutes since 5am this morning, they are really intense and himself is gone to work so I’m really struggling with the kids!!
    Women are amazing for the **** we push through! I’m on the brink today and just keep crying and hating the world, Ita not even being overdue that I mind it’s the fact I’m in pain all day everyday and it goes nowhere! The exhaustion and deflation of that is just awful :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

kylith wrote: »
    You poor thing! When I hit 40 I was already so over being pregnant; I can only imagine how you feel. Is there any plan to move things along for you?

I am booked in for an induction on the 1st but I really really don’t want that :-( I’ve heard inductions can be very tough due to the speed among other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Ah guest boarder the wait can be crap and I totally empathise with you having other children to look after, that makes it very hard, I would be in tears myself!

But if you have an induction booked for the first you know there is not much time left now either way. Don't worry about an induction, labour and giving birth and are not nice no matter what way they happen (although I know there are a few people put there who would disagree and say they had a lovely birth!) my Labour delivery was a lot quicker this time than in my induction so it's hard to know how it will be for you so don't worry about that in the slightest. I kept thinking throughout the whole thing," there is an end to this pain, it isn't going to last forever" and know that every minute is a minute closer to the end!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I feel like crying for you, I don't know how you're doing it.I had a 21 month old with me at the time and it was hell.And that's exactly it, it's the absolute frustration of the endless pain and no flipping progress.
    The one thing is they felt the induction would literally just be something to tip it all off, and then it would proceed as normal, my labours hve tended to be 5/6 hours anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Ahhhh guestboarder I can only echo the others!! You poor thing, I could hug you. I’ve gone to 41+6 with my two ladies and it is nothing short of torture. Have you had an exam or a sweep? Genuinely you sound like you’re at the stage of just needing a little nudge, I’d be waddling into the hospital after getting the kids organised with “regularish contractions” or something along those lines........ I’m adamant this time I’m not sitting at home past 40 weeks with two kids at home but I have other factors that lead me to think an induction etc is better for me, plus my labours can’t get any faster!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes if you're getting strong enough contractions, maybe you should go in and get checked out? Sounds like your cervix is doing something anyway- a sweep might tip you over.

Can you get some help with the kids? It's only for a couple of days max so you should take help if it's there and get some rest when you can.... there's a lot of hard work ahead of you.

I was induced on my first and it was really straightforward. No drugs needed - just a simple breaking of the waters. The birth was fast, but unusually fast given my situation. It turns out I just labour really fast naturally, because my second baby came without induction and the labour was even faster. I think it's mainly the syntocin drip which makes things very fast, which you may not need. And even if you do, at least you can be prepared for it, and get the epidural ready to go if you want it.

The best thing about a fast labour is that it doesn't take as much out of you, physically. You're less tired and drained by it all. And while the contractions are very very intense, it's over quickly. My labour this time was completely drug free and only 90 minutes from 2cm to baby in arms. And it was an amazingly empowering experience which I would happily do all over again.

You'll get there! And it will all be worth it. In just a few days, this will all be a distant memory for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I am booked in for an induction on the 1st but I really really don’t want that :-( I’ve heard inductions can be very tough due to the speed among other things!

Wow guestboarder you are a warrior dealing with kids while this drags out for you, I really hope we are reading of your baby's birth soon!

I was induced and had a "hyper stimulation" reaction which was very tough, but if it happened again I would be much more vocal about my pain and much more insistent on pain relief sooner. I don't think I was listened to for a long time, so that's the only advice I would give. That said, I was induced at 37 weeks because of pre eclampsia so my body didn't progress whereas you're already making some progress yourself by the sounds of things, so as the others say it might just be the nudge you need. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

I was induced this time after going myself the last two times. After my waters were broken the contractions started themselves and didn't need any more help. It wasn't the days upon days that some people describe and was in many ways similar to my second spontaneous labour.
    You might not make it to the induction date hopefully u will go yourself before then

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Best of luck guestboarder!! How many October babies do we have left now??

Is anybody else experiencing cluster feeding? My little baba never seems to be off me.. It's so tough. Really enjoying it apart from that but she has done 6,7, 8 hour stretches and I slowly lose the will to live during them..

clacla82 wrote: »
    Best of luck guestboarder!! How many October babies do we have left now??

Is anybody else experiencing cluster feeding? My little baba never seems to be off me.. It's so tough. Really enjoying it apart from that but she has done 6,7, 8 hour stretches and I slowly lose the will to live during them..

The cluster feeds are so tough. We had 17 hours straight on night two! I thought I was gonna die.

Nothing for it really other than go with it. Baby is boss, after all. Reassure yourself that it's very normal and is a sign of a growth spurt, and should only last a few days max. In the meantime, make no plans, get really comfy, get a good book or series to watch, and settle down for the long haul.... then sleep as much as you can the next day.

It's really tough but it's how they grow, and it does wonders for your own milk supply too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

The cluster feeds are so tough. We had 17 hours straight on night two! I thought I was gonna die.

Nothing for it really other than go with it. Baby is boss, after all. Reassure yourself that it's very normal and is a sign of a growth spurt, and should only last a few days max. In the meantime, make no plans, get really comfy, get a good book or series to watch, and settle down for the long haul.... then sleep as much as you can the next day.

It's really tough but it's how they grow, and it does wonders for your own milk supply too.

I know, it's so tough though, you think you're losing your mind when they just keep coming for you! It doesn't help that my mother keeps saying me or my siblings never did that, as if there's something wrong... Like you said, baby is boss, what can I do except give her what she needs! She seems to be thriving, getting bigger all the time and loads of wet and dirty nappies so I just think she was so little her growth spurts are a bit more regular

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Baby boy was born Tuesday morning by emergency c section 7lb 14.5 oz, all birthing preferences completely flew out the window but worth everything to be lying here with my little man.
    Tried breast feeding but after 7 hours of cluster feeding last night I couldn't cope with the thoughts of another night of it and decided it wasn't for me.
    Fair play to all you ladies still breast feeding.
    Loving all my cuddles, so in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Jutton wrote: »
    Baby boy was born Tuesday morning by emergency c section 7lb 14.5 oz, all birthing preferences completely flew out the window but worth everything to be lying here with my little man.
    Tried breast feeding but after 7 hours of cluster feeding last night I couldn't cope with the thoughts of another night of it and decided it wasn't for me.
    Fair play to all you ladies still breast feeding.
    Loving all my cuddles, so in love.

Congrats Jutton! Enjoy every minute :) I’m a month in and I still can’t stop staring at my lil cutie.

I was the same with the birthing preferences, literally everything I had planned went flying out the window :D

Congratulations Jutton!

Birth preferences..... I think it was an I stagram post where someone had an alternative name for them, which baby brain has made me forget now! But whatever the alternative name was, it implied that preferences rarely go to plan so they shouldn't be an expectation.... I didn't make a birth plan this time for that very reason and then in a way my delivery this time worked out as I would have preferred, typical!

Congratulations Jutton!

Birth preferences..... I think it was an I stagram post where someone had an alternative name for them, which baby brain has made me forget now! But whatever the alternative name was, it implied that preferences rarely go to plan so they shouldn't be an expectation.... I didn't make a birth plan this time for that very reason and then in a way my delivery this time worked out as I would have preferred, typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Congrats Jutton!

Birth preferences? Didn’t really happen on either of mine! Got a bit closer second time round I guess with instant skin to skin lol.

Had a rough day, ended up getting a second next 2 me on adverts and fully setting up the spare room so that both ours and it are baby friendly. Now curled in the recliner in the spare room watching tv (neither of which we have in our own room) feeding a very grumpy baby. At least my back is happier with me!

Anyone else’s baby sound like they are struggling to breath through their nose a lot? It’s far far worse than anything I remember on my first and he doesn’t seem comfortable with it. No snot or anything but lots of sneezing. I’m wondering if it’s possibly reflux related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Congratulations Jutton, and welcome to your little man!

We’ve had a few nights of cluster feeding here and boy, is it tough. I got very little sleep last night and am totally drained today. Kudos to those of you with older children, I don’t know how you do it.

On the cluster feeding I don’t know how any of ye do it, I’m exhausted without that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Double post

Congrats Jutton!

Birth preferences? Didn’t really happen on either of mine! Got a bit closer second time round I guess with instant skin to skin lol.

Had a rough day, ended up getting a second next 2 me on adverts and fully setting up the spare room so that both ours and it are baby friendly. Now curled in the recliner in the spare room watching tv (neither of which we have in our own room) feeding a very grumpy baby. At least my back is happier with me!

Anyone else’s baby sound like they are struggling to breath through their nose a lot? It’s far far worse than anything I remember on my first and he doesn’t seem comfortable with it. No snot or anything but lots of sneezing. I’m wondering if it’s possibly reflux related

I'm in a Facebook group and a lot of the babies are quite congested at night. It's apparently common in sections or fast deliveries as the babies have a lot of mucous to clear out of their systems. Have you tried saline drops?

Day 12 now. Just waiting on the two week growth spurt and cluster feeding to really hit! He's terribly windy - I spent 4-5 hours last night just winding, with feeds on top of that. Infacol not helping. However I've tried laid-back feeding tonight and so far he has much less wind so hopefully it's not just a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

Congratulations jutton. Ah ya the birth preferences. I literally only had one thing on first time and it went out the window. Second labour got a bit closer. Third not at all how I planned. Hope the recovery is going well

I'm in a Facebook group and a lot of the babies are quite congested at night. It's apparently common in sections or fast deliveries as the babies have a lot of mucous to clear out of their systems. Have you tried saline drops?

Day 12 now. Just waiting on the two week growth spurt and cluster feeding to really hit! He's terribly windy - I spent 4-5 hours last night just winding, with feeds on top of that. Infacol not helping. However I've tried laid-back feeding tonight and so far he has much less wind so hopefully it's not just a fluke.

It’s been all day for the last 48hrs or so but after the bath last night we got lovely green snot so I reckon he actually has a cold (his older brother has a chesty cough too!). Yeah I have the saline drops alright

Hopefully the laid-back feeding works, anything that helps at this stage is wonderful!

It’s been all day for the last 48hrs or so but after the bath last night we got lovely green snot so I reckon he actually has a cold (his older brother has a chesty cough too!). Yeah I have the saline drops alright

Hopefully the laid-back feeding works, anything that helps at this stage is wonderful!

Ah mirror, your congested story sounds just like my baba, it's weird though cause it's only while feeding or shortly after, seems to clear as soon as he gets into a deep sleep. I also wondered was it reflux related as he spits up so so much after bottles,maybe some is going up his nose, but it is not always linked to spit up. I am fairly unsure of myself with it cause I don't k ow what to expect with this stage of bottle feeding, last baby was breastfed so I don't know what is normal!

Jutton wrote:
    Baby boy was born Tuesday morning by emergency c section 7lb 14.5 oz, all birthing preferences completely flew out the window but worth everything to be lying here with my little man. Tried breast feeding but after 7 hours of cluster feeding last night I couldn't cope with the thoughts of another night of it and decided it wasn't for me. Fair play to all you ladies still breast feeding. Loving all my cuddles, so in love.

Yay congrats Jutton! All my preferences flew out the window too. Are you home yet? Or heading home soon?

Having ‘fun’ here since. Definitely a cold, we’re on bottles on demand to keep his fluids up as he’s dropped to about half his intake. That means he’s eating every 1.5-2hrs. Ended up in Tallaght last night because he developed a nasty cough too. Chest is clear though so keep doing what we’re doing and ride it out. Ended up asking my mum to give a hand today so I can get back to bed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mirrorwall,, you've just reminded me I had this with our little guy at just three weeks.It's awful, there's so little you can give them.And the wind!!!Olbas oil for the snuffles, sleeping in a bed with a raised head (or ya know, on you!!) and also sit in a shower/bath and steam the baby (or buy a steamer in a pharmacy, about 50eur).He has it here again at the moment, but he's been given an antibiotic for a sinus infection this time.

shesty wrote: »
    Mirrorwall,, you've just reminded me I had this with our little guy at just three weeks.It's awful, there's so little you can give them.And the wind!!!Olbas oil for the snuffles, sleeping in a bed with a raised head (or ya know, on you!!) and also sit in a shower/bath and steam the baby (or buy a steamer in a pharmacy, about 50eur).He has it here again at the moment, but he's been given an antibiotic for a sinus infection this time.

It’s fairly horrible because you can’t do anything really! Yeah the wind is shocking, last night was hard going though he did eventually pass out

Having ‘fun’ here since. Definitely a cold, we’re on bottles on demand to keep his fluids up as he’s dropped to about half his intake. That means he’s eating every 1.5-2hrs. Ended up in Tallaght last night because he developed a nasty cough too. Chest is clear though so keep doing what we’re doing and ride it out. Ended up asking my mum to give a hand today so I can get back to bed

Oh no poor baby and poor mama :(
    That's great that your mum can help out today. Hope it won't be long before it clears up.

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Oh no poor baby and poor mama :(
    That's great that your mum can help out today. Hope it won't be long before it clears up.

Fingers crossed. Also figured out my mum limit after four years lol. I’ve zero problems with all kinds of grossness, nappies etc etc. However, sucking baby booger’s out of this lads nose is disgusting!!! How can something so little have such an amount of ick up there 🙈

Advertisement