Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yeah the grunting is normal. Both my boys did it. I actually wanted to record him the other night, he was so loud, but was scared of waking him! It's actually hard to sleep through it. I slept so much better when we eventually moved my first lad into his own room at 5.5 months.

I think I probably have a fast let down. He seems to gulp and choke on my milk, usually within a minute of starting a feed, and then has wind from that. Might get a lactation consultant out when we are a bit more settled and in our new house.

Last day in our house today!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Orange369 wrote: »
    .. does anyone elses baby seem to grunt and make a lot of noise while sleeping!? wondering is this a normal newborn thing also lol

All my reading says that that is totally normal

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

My lad kind of groans and squirms more than grunts really, it's as if he is on pain from the wind, sometimes it is that as we lift him and get the wind up but other times we lift him and can't get any wind at all and the groaning continues, feel awful worrying that he is in discomfort or pain :-(

Last day caitriona!!! That's a big deal, a little sad too as it was your toddlers first home! Hope the move goes smoothly!

Are you moving far? Sad not to be near that brilliant ranelagh playground!

greenttc wrote: »
    Last day caitriona!!! That's a big deal, a little sad too as it was your toddlers first home! Hope the move goes smoothly!

Are you moving far? Sad not to be near that brilliant ranelagh playground!

Yes I actually got all nostalgic thinking of our daily trips to the playground last night! Ranelagh has been a great place to live for the last 4 years, and we've so many lovely memories. I'm particularly sad to be leaving my GP and public health nurse, and the catchment area for the holles st domino scheme! And the lovely playgroup we attend with all the great mammies I've met there.

But onwards and upwards! We are heading up to Malahide which I'm really excited about. As much as I've loved living here, I don't think it's necessarily the best place for raising young kids. There's a lovely community feel in Malahide so hopefully we will make new friends there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Best of luck with the move Catrionanic!

Orange369 baby grunts and wheezes all night long. Sometimes has a little cough and like you say it's as if she's stopped breathing, but she's always fine so we just have to get used to it I suppose!

We haven't given infacol..how would I know she needs it?

Last two nights she's had terrible wind. After an hour of crying she was looking hungry again, so gave her the last oz of the bottle that started all the windy pain. She was still looking hungry so made another bottle, which she drank an oz of. Then, without warning, she projectile vomited everywhere, all over herself, us both, and the bed. It looked like all 5oz came up. Once she was settled and changed she took the 3oz left in the bottle.

Any advice? Is this reflux? Is screaming for an hour with wind pains colic? She's been feeding great for the past 7 weeks and suddenly this week she's had a tricky period in the evenings.

Cash_Q wrote: »

Orange369 baby grunts and wheezes all night long. Sometimes has a little cough and like you say it's as if she's stopped breathing, but she's always fine so we just have to get used to it I suppose!

Last two nights she's had terrible wind. After an hour of crying she was looking hungry again, so gave her the last oz of the bottle that started all the windy pain. She was still looking hungry so made another bottle, which she drank an oz of. Then, without warning, she projectile vomited everywhere, all over herself, us both, and the bed. It looked like all 5oz came up. Once she was settled and changed she took the 3oz left in the bottle.

Any advice? Is this reflux? Is screaming for an hour with wind pains colic? She's been feeding great for the past 7 weeks and suddenly this week she's had a tricky period in the evenings.

Infacol helps with wind by joining up all the small wind bubbles into one big wind by Blue so its supposedly easier to get up so if you have a problem with wind you could try it, but as many of us said, we are not sure how effective it has been so far but anything is worth a try eh!?

That projectile vomit is what my wee lad does a few times a day since he was born, I think it is just wind, the pressure of it coming out brings milk with it but sometimes I doubt myself and wonder is it something more, I have the 6 week check up on Monday so will be asking me gp, I'll let you know what she says, I bet she will say its normal for new born, just seems so dramatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

Our first baby vomited up a whole bottle once and it was from her eating too much I think. Our second one used to projectile more bottles than not. She also had colic. I think it was all wind related. Nothing worked and she grew out of it about 4 months.your baby could be hungry and going through a growth spurt maybe that's why they needed the extra food and maybe wind forced it back up or just not used to so much food at one feed.

Colic can start around 6 weeks so it could be the start of it. But it's not 1 hour here and there. For us it was constant crying for about 3 hours every evening. Any bit of high pitched crying is very distressing to listen to though so be kind to yourself and hopefully it will pass.

This baby has had episodes of extreme crying since day one. And we are throwing everything at it to try and get to the root of it. Two nights ago it was 4 hours, last night it was two. It was starting way too soon to be what they call colic but they don't seem to think there is anything wrong and the baby is thriving. It is very trying on all of us in the house but it always passes. And it won't last forever but it is so so hard to listen to I am often crying with him.

It's alot of trial and error unfortunately but if you are ever concerned get your lo checked by the doctor.

Goodluck with the move catrionanic. Hope it goes smoothly.and the babies love their new home.

Thanks greenttc I might give it a go.
    Threepeas aw wow that sounds very tough. Yes it's been 1 hour or less so hopefully it's just been a couple of bad bouts of wind rather than colic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

threepeas wrote: »

Our first baby vomited up a whole bottle once and it was from her eating too much I think. Our second one used to projectile more bottles than not. She also had colic. I think it was all wind related. Nothing worked and she grew out of it about 4 months.your baby could be hungry and going through a growth spurt maybe that's why they needed the extra food and maybe wind forced it back up or just not used to so much food at one feed.

Colic can start around 6 weeks so it could be the start of it. But it's not 1 hour here and there. For us it was constant crying for about 3 hours every evening. Any bit of high pitched crying is very distressing to listen to though so be kind to yourself and hopefully it will pass.

This baby has had episodes of extreme crying since day one. And we are throwing everything at it to try and get to the root of it. Two nights ago it was 4 hours, last night it was two. It was starting way too soon to be what they call colic but they don't seem to think there is anything wrong and the baby is thriving. It is very trying on all of us in the house but it always passes. And it won't last forever but it is so so hard to listen to I am often crying with him.

It's alot of trial and error unfortunately but if you are ever concerned get your lo checked by the doctor.

100% agree with the high pitched crying its very hard to listen too.. I can kinda deal with it but my OH isnt able at all when she gets like that. Its very hard to know what is going on with their little bellies.. Last week my LO was taking 4-5 ounces but now shes gone back to 3 or 4 at times, she is 5 weeks now. She takes the 1st ounce very well then after she starts gagging dribbling and almost like shes choking on the milk. This doesnt happen every feed but its very frustrating as shes hungry and crying but wont take the bottle!

She is really starting to smile at me now and loves to stare at me so when shes awake or feeding I dont like to be on my phone as I feel guilty, shes looking at me and me looking at my phone isnt nice

Cash, obviously my experience of bottle feeding is limited but what you said about her choking at the start of the feed is very similar to what is happening my boy on the boob. I think the milk is coming too fast for him at the beginning, and I've tried changing feeding positions to slow the milk and it seems to help a bit. Are you using the slowest flow teats on her bottles? Could you try sitting her up a bit when feeding so that the milk doesn't flow out of the bottle as fast?

Orange369 wrote: »
    100% agree with the high pitched crying its very hard to listen too.. I can kinda deal with it but my OH isnt able at all when she gets like that. Its very hard to know what is going on with their little bellies.. Last week my LO was taking 4-5 ounces but now shes gone back to 3 or 4 at times, she is 5 weeks now. She takes the 1st ounce very well then after she starts gagging dribbling and almost like shes choking on the milk. This doesnt happen every feed but its very frustrating as shes hungry and crying but wont take the bottle!

She is really starting to smile at me now and loves to stare at me so when shes awake or feeding I dont like to be on my phone as I feel guilty, shes looking at me and me looking at my phone isnt nice

I find I am much more able to cope with the crying when I'm on my own. It's the audience that stresses me out. I took lo out on Monday and the sweat was pouring out of me when he kicked off. I won't be repeating that again for a while until he is more settled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah jesus caitriona, I'm stressed just reading your post!Take it easy on yourself would you, you have had long tough year.I can tell you now two under two, the first year is a hard slog that happens in a haze.You cannot-I repeat this-you cannot be 100% for both of them 100% of the time and you have to be able to forgive yourself for that.It sank home for me when no.2 was about 7 weeks, I made my peace with it and things went better from there.That being said, I was in a BF group and honestly every mother there, bar one, had their own mother pretty much move in with them for the first 12 weeks, on the arrival of their second.You are only one person, and on top of that you are doing a load of other very stressful major life events too.

The staring at cereal boxes doesn't improve however-six months into no.3 here and I cannot process a thought from 7-7.It's only when they all go to bed and shut up can I think.As for the wind, a tonne of patience and slings.....seems to be the only way.Gripe water also helped on 2 of our 3.We had that evening crying too especially on no.1. It's awful.Make sure you are both there, both take turns at holding baba, and your mantra is that it will not last forever, because it won't.But it is very hard during it.I find weeks 4/5 hardest, their digestive systems have really kicked in and they can't cope at all!!!

Orange369 wrote:
    Last week my LO was taking 4-5 ounces but now shes gone back to 3 or 4 at times, she is 5 weeks now. She takes the 1st ounce very well then after she starts gagging dribbling and almost like shes choking on the milk. This doesnt happen every feed but its very frustrating as shes hungry and crying but wont take the bottle!

She was the very same regards amounts and the dribbling/choking. Switched to Variflow teats since last night and about 6 or 8 bottles later it seems to be doing the trick
    Orange369 wrote:

Same here! I love the little interaction. I went to put her down yesterday so I could sort out the washing machine and put away some dry laundry and caught myself and just said it can all wait, there moments interacting with her are so precious. The phone is a life saver in bed at night thought trying to settle her back to sleep up on my shoulder and trying to keep myself awake!
    Cash, obviously my experience of bottle feeding is limited but what you said about her choking at the start of the feed is very similar to what is happening my boy on the boob. I think the milk is coming too fast for him at the beginning, and I've tried changing feeding positions to slow the milk and it seems to help a bit. Are you using the slowest flow teats on her bottles? Could you try sitting her up a bit when feeding so that the milk doesn't flow out of the bottle as fast?

Yes you're so right, although I think it was a size too small making her tire out so often that for a few feeds in a row she wouldn't get enough and would fall asleep, then wake up so hungry that she was lashing it back and choking with the speed and generating so much wind. The variflow teats seem to have made a big difference since last night. Also sitting her upright is helping a lot!
    threepeas wrote:
    I find I am much more able to cope with the crying when I'm on my own. It's the audience that stresses me out. I took lo out on Monday and the sweat was pouring out of me when he kicked off. I won't be repeating that again for a while until he is more settled.

Most definitely, the audience is harder! I never judge anyone else holding a screaming baby but I feel myself being judged even though I'm probably not!
    shesty wrote:
    your mantra is that it will not last forever, because it won't.But it is very hard during it.I find weeks 4/5 hardest, their digestive systems have really kicked in and they can't cope at all!!!

Yes that mantra gets me through! My daughter is 7 weeks old but came 3 weeks early, and is only just about 8 lbs (guessing, she was 7lbs7oz 10 days ago), so I imagine her tummy etc is as small as a slightly younger baby??!

Sorry for the gigantic reply, I just found I could identify with almost every recent post! Thank God for other mammies, it's so reassuring to share experiences!!

I totally understand this(and know what those stressed out sweats are like too!) , you feel like the world is looking and judging and wondering what is wrong with that baby but when is the last time you thought badly about the crying of a baby or their parents, i think most people accept that is what babies do (unless you are on a plane or in a library or something!) when I started thinking like that I quickly stopped minding what people thought and started to realise that for me, being out walking with a fussy crying baby was a lot easier to cope with than sitting in a house on your own with a crying baby, outside was my saviour!

greenttc wrote: »
    I totally understand this(and know what those stressed out sweats are like too!) , you feel like the world is looking and judging and wondering what is wrong with that baby but when is the last time you thought badly about the crying of a baby or their parents, i think most people accept that is what babies do (unless you are on a plane or in a library or something!) when I started thinking like that I quickly stopped minding what people thought and started to realise that for me, being out walking with a fussy crying baby was a lot easier to cope with than sitting in a house on your own with a crying baby, outside was my saviour!

Awe I know it's not that I thought they were judging me I just found it more stressful than usual and visibly noticed the stress going down my back. My middle child was at an activity today so I went out with my older one and the baby and we had a nice bit of time together because the baby slept for the hour. It was bliss.

We have hit the 6 week mark now and really hoping things start to settle soon, but I'm trying to mentally assess what is asmctually going on here so that I can relay it properly to the next doctor, its after the winding that the baby is upset crying not trying to get the wind up. And if I wind half way through a feed thats it he doesn't want the bottle again because he's crying and needs settling which takes at least an hour. So then he is still hungry and then the cycle starts again. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thinking of you all with the unsettled babies. It’s really tough. Make sure you get a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Those with older children...

I've a 3 year old. The Men B vaccine wasn't on the vaccinations schedule in 2015, only added in 2015. I'm considering paying for my 3 year old to have it, starting early in 2019.

My question is related to the cost...

I'm getting the mirena coil in the pharmacy and it's quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can buy the Men B vaccine in the pharmacy in the same month on DPS and pay considerably less for the Men B vaccine... i.e. just pay the cost for the administration in a doctor's clinic.

Any idea if this is possible?

Entropy7 wrote: »

I've a 3 year old. The Men B vaccine wasn't on the vaccinations schedule in 2015, only added in 2015. I'm considering paying for my 3 year old to have it, starting early in 2019.

I'm getting the mirena coil in the pharmacy and it's quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can buy the Men B vaccine in the pharmacy in the same month on DPS and pay considerably less for the Men B vaccine... i.e. just pay the cost for the administration in a doctor's clinic.

I've no idea, sorry, but do you mind me asking how much the Mirena is? Considering one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I've no idea, sorry, but do you mind me asking how much the Mirena is? Considering one.

Someone i know got a mirena put in, a year ago and it was about 400 euro for the coil and the doctors fee for placement of it. It's worth noting there is a fee for removal too, if it doesn't work out, or at the end of the 5 years ,,, about 150 euro.

Sorry I have no idea. I thought the dps limit was per person though? And that would be two different people? But again I'm not sure on that one. I did get the pill in bulk and they told me you can't use more than one month cost towards the dps so even if u buy six months together it's capped. Best bet would be to ask a pharmacy.

Someone i know got a mirena put in, a year ago and it was about 400 euro for the coil and the doctors fee for placement of it. It's worth noting there is a fee for removal too, if it doesn't work out, or at the end of the 5 years ,,, about 150 euro.

I know it doesn't work out much per month but it's alot of money upfront isn't it. I have my pill ready to go just waiting on the witch to arrive. How long was everyone waiting? My baby is 7 weeks now I'm sure I had it before now on my last two

Sorry I have no idea. I thought the dps limit was per person though? And that would be two different people? But again I'm not sure on that one. I did get the pill in bulk and they told me you can't use more than one month cost towards the dps so even if u buy six months together it's capped. Best bet would be to ask a pharmacy.

I think the amount is per family but you have to be listed as a family so the Dps cards have my pps number on both but followed by an a on my card and a b on my husband's.i could be wrong though,it's just how it works out for us.

I bet ya you won't be able to do it though cause there is probably something to say it's not available under the Dps, just like the gestational diabetes meds were not available (we discussed that on here I think),even if you were just getting the coil on its own surely you wouldn't pay the 400 cause of the Dps cap anyway? somebody has to know though.

threepeas wrote:
    Sorry I have no idea. I thought the dps limit was per person though? And that would be two different people? .

My mam and sisters used to be treated as a household so would just split the monthly DPS cap 3 ways and make big savings each. That's a good few years ago though .

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Hey there, wondering how everyone's getting on? My little button is 7 weeks now and we are finally seeing a stretch in her sleep, and the cluster feeding has calmed down a bit.

Can I ask, when did you start putting them to bed, per se.. Like upstairs with the baby monitor? Right now we let her sleep in the living room.. She would often nod off at 8 or so, then bring her up to bed at 10 when we are going.. She wakes up then and I feed her, but I wonder would she be better off going to bed at 8? Or is it wayyy too early for that? I am genuinely clueless here..

We had a lovely and settled 6 weeks and the past 2 weeks have been crazy, feeding really erratically, like 1oz then 5oz then 2oz, sometimes an hour apart, sometimes 4 hours apart, no rhyme nor reason to her. No point waking her for more regular feeds as she won't feed when sleepy. Also bad wind a few nights and bad reflux. Lack of sleep is catching up on me!

Also wondering about a bedtime routine, she sleeps in the pram beside us downstairs and usually I hold her for ages upstairs before putting her down in case she gets upset. I just got into an awful habit of doing it but tonight she was wide awake when I was coming up so I just placed her into the next2me and am hoping she'll fall asleep on her own/without being held. I am also in a habit of putting her into our bed when she wakes at night, when I used to just reach into the next2me and stroke her when we first brought her home and that settled her. I don't mind having her in our bed at all if she's upset but it means we don't sleep properly. She lasts all night in her own bed plenty of nights but going to try not to lift her out tonight and see if just stroking her will settle her back.

I have really found the last 2 weeks tough and she's really not a tricky baby, but she was out of sorts a lot and the screaming with bad wind and reflux and erratic feeding are just all too much when combined!

So yeah any tips for a bedtime routine would be welcome here too!

*edit to add she seems to be much more back to herself this evening, hopefully no screaming with wind or no projectile vomiting with reflux! Don't know how anyone does it when their baby is permanently crying or spitting up or colicky, I'm a wreck from a few unsettled hours across the space of a fortnight!

Caitriona will probably roll her eyes to heaven when she reads this post cause I mentioned it so much in the February thread but I really think it is worth getting and reading Lucy wolfe book the baby sleep solution. It has suggested routines and tips on how to achieve them for each age.

I think the main thing at this age is to have baby awake for the day at 7 and go from there.

She also talks about sleep associations,what the baby uses to get to sleep like the cheek rubbing that was mentioned and the holding etc,so the aim is for them to have associations that help them fall asleep themselves without your help,at this stage you might put them in their cot almost but not fully asleep.

I have put our lad upstairs in the evening of he is asleep just so we get a bit of baby free time in the evenings but hasn't happened too often yet as he is definitely at his fussiest in the evenings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sleep has been on my mind a lot recently (we had a very fussy night last night with little sleep all round) because I'm aware that LO usually falls asleep on the breast and then has to be transferred into the crib, which may wake her up. My mother is very much of the 'put them in another room and let them cry' school of thought, and the only other support I have around here is still going to bed with her 6yo, which is the other extreme.

I don't take her up immediately that she wakes, I give her the chance to put herself back to sleep, but if she starts properly crying I'll take her back up. I've started swaddling her again, which seems to help with the waking on transfer. I was planning on starting training from about 8 weeks.

One good thing at least is that she hasn't gotten into the habit of needing to fall asleep in the car; my brother spent a fortune in petrol driving his kids around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Have you ever read about the Fourth Trimester? https://www.google.ie/amp/s/sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/11/04/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-baby-is-only-happy-in-your-arms/amp/

It’s completely normal for a newborn to only want to be held and to sleep in arms. Sleep training a newborn is really not recommended. They go through so many changes and developments in the first few months. You just have to roll with the punches and sleep when you can. My babies always told me when they were ready to go upstairs by themselves - when they would fall asleep around 8/9pm and not wake again for a good stretch. It was around 3-4 months for all of mine.

Advertisement