Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand smoke and kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The problem is that a lot of smokers are so hooked that they will continue to smoke, while the parent (who doesn't smoke) will feel that the grandparents have chosen smoking over their grandchildren.

They kind of have chosen though.

I see it from both sides - I used to be a heavy smoker so I understand the addiction. I also understand that they can choose do what they like in their own home. Equally, people are also free to choose not to visit that home if they feel it's unsuitable for their child - and that might not be just for smoking. I've seen the same debate crop up on other parenting forums over grandparent's dogs, a pool or a pond not fenced off, their refusal to have bed rails or stair gates in their homes.

The granny I spoke about up thread who refused to quit smoking while her grandchild visited still smokes as much as ever but no longer smokes inside the house because she redecorated. She wouldn't do it for her own grandchild for a few hours a week but happily does it permanently for her new sofa to stay nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zascar wrote: »
    We all know smoking is bad and children should not be around it, but now I'm hearing people say now that 2nd hand smoke can be damaging and that babies should not even be in a room that someone had earlier smoked in. I find this a little over the top. Many of us grew up around smoke, back in the day people would smoke everywhere, homes, pubs etc. This is mostly gone now so kids today are less exposed to it than ever before.

A friend of mine has a new baby and has basically said to her mother that she will no longer visit the house as she sometimes smokes in it, so the mother will barely get to see the child any more. She also will not let her hold the baby if she is wearing clothes that may contain traces of smoke if she had a cigarette earlier. She says all the doctors say this and all her parenting friends agree. Is this true?

don't smoke in the house and wear clean clothes

make the effort to visit the newborn in the child's house while refraining from smoking prior to making the trip

problem solved

unless this grandmother values smoking above a grandchild that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

lukesmom wrote: »
    Completely and utterly over the top. I've 3 children myself and I smoke. I don't smoke in the house unless its very late at night and they are in bed. I would never allow someone to smoke while my kids were in the room. However, I would never tell someone to steralize their hands or no be around my kids if they had been smoking. Its just not something that ever entered my head.

Just because it's okay with you , does not mean that it's okay.
    The research is there.
    We know the facts. Second hand smoke can cause numerous health problems in infants, and has a definite link to SIDS. Knowing these facts, how can you tell someone they are being over the top?

It's very, very, very simple. Do you bring an infant into contact with second hand smoke.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm a teacher and send home reading packs with the children to do at home. Disgusts me when i open one up to hear a child's reading and a pong of smoke hits me in the face. Happens more regular than you'd believe.
    I find it mad to think that people are still smoking around their children in this day and age. The same children will sit "puffing" on the end of their pencil pretending they are smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

heldel00 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher and send home reading packs with the children to do at home. Disgusts me when i open one up to hear a child's reading and a pong of smoke hits me in the face. Happens more regular than you'd believe.
    I find it mad to think that people are still smoking around their children in this day and age. The same children will sit "puffing" on the end of their pencil pretending they are smoking!

it's depressing

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I hate the smell of smoke off children.
    The same children will sit "puffing" on the end of their pencil pretending they are smoking!

In fairness, I would have done that too. Neither of my parents ever smoked, nor did I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I hate the smell of smoke off children.
    The same children will sit "puffing" on the end of their pencil pretending they are smoking!

In fairness, I would have done that too. Neither of my parents ever smoked, nor did I!

And i did it too, especially with the fake fag sweets you could buy for 10p but a lot of children don't see adults smoking any more. They are either going outside for their smoke or children are just not around people who smoke.
    The children i see "smoking" their pencils are the ones with the reading packs that stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

someone made a make do sculpture of a family using those rounded stones you see on beaches at our local beach last summer.

Later that day we passed again and some wag had put sea weed in the nether regions and a real fag hanging out of the mommies mouth.

My five year old asked what was that in the mommies mouth which I thought was great as it shows how far we have come as a people in pushing smoking to the side lines of society ... where it belongs

In my opinion no child should know what a cigarette looks like or be familiar with its smell. What ever way you want to slice and dice it its nots good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My brother smokes in my folk's house, in his own room. If I'm down in the house and drop in to him, my clothes stink of smoke afterwards. So it's definitely still in the air for a long time after the cigarette has been extinguished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

That reminds me, in a previous job, I sent papers out to an external person for marking. When they came back there was a really strong smell of smoke off them. These were marked in another person's home and dropped back to me and they still stank so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have a constant battle with the missus over this
    Our baby is only 2 months old and my other half's dad my child's grand dad smoke's (not around her but in his house) 
    Anytime we visit its straight home out of her clothes and into the bath because she stinks of smoke, her hair and everything, I hate it,
    Now grand dad is in a wheel chair so its next to impossible for him to come visit us,
    I try make the visit as quick as I can and less often then to any other grand parent,
    The missus thinks it's not fair on him but I can't stand the thought of our little girl suffering because of his smoking,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mariemoon

I live with smokers and it really annoys me when I go to the bathroom and it stinks cigarette smoke that I can't even breath properly.

I have never smoked in my life and I feel that all my effort of a healthy life is being thrown away by someone smoking near me.
    Smoking with a window open is not going to help either, want to kill yourself or give yourself a cancer, grand but don't do it around people that didn't choose this lifestyle.

The same goes for people that smokes at bus stop or just before getting a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do you live in a house with an open fire?? If yes then you are exposing yourself and family to 'second hand smoke'. Do you ever go outside? Guess what also exposing youself to smoke from car exhausts, domestic chimneys, industrual stacks. There is no getting away from it and to stop a grand mother from seeing their grandchild is extremely selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Do you live in a house with an open fire?? If yes then you are exposing yourself and family to 'second hand smoke'. Do you ever go outside? Guess what also exposing youself to smoke from car exhausts, domestic chimneys, industrual stacks. There is no getting away from it and to stop a grand mother from seeing their grandchild is extremely selfish

Not quitting your smoking habit to see your grandchild is even more selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They are prioritising their child's health over someone's bad habit. That makes them responsible parents. My parents smoked when we were kids and we hated it. The house and car were rotten with smoke. We were constantly begging them to quit. I don't know any child that likes the smell of smoke. The parents are doing that child a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Your friend is right. I used to smoke and find it difficult to stay off them so I understand from both sides but why should your friend have to be affected by the mother smoking, it’s her bad habit , if her mother wants to smoke she can’t hold the baby.

Medical staff say it to parents and she’s following advice. Also, the smell of stale smoke sticks to babies clothes even after 30 mins or more so you’re friend will most likely have to bath the baby after each visit. There are toxins in these so your friend is right.

Advertisement