Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were a tourist, how would rate Dublin?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Greentopia wrote: »
    Another example is where I live- Stuttgart. The allies bombed it to bits and they built lots new mostly ugly or bland buildings in the city centre to replace them after the war which makes it look like you could be in any mid size middle European city-not much individual character here.

What's left of the old historic buildings are lovely but they're not many. And so much of the city is full of grey industrial parks, retail developments and factories and there's not a square inch of what is allowed to be developed that that hasn't been developed. Fortunately the green belt and aeration corridors make up 60% of the city though and these are inviolable.

Yeh its sad that happened most german cities :( At least some is being reconstructed though, in dresden and frankfurt and potsdam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

wakka12 wrote: »
    Each to their own. Some parts of it are nice but overall I think its one of the least pretty European cities. I'm probably in the minority though.

Then I think you haven't visited Cologne, Rotterdam, Essen, Coventry, Birmingham or a number of other cities in europe which were heavily bombed
    Rotterdam is very nice these days, the Dutch have thrown so much money into it:
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/rotterdam-netherlands-europe-cool-city/index.html?gallery=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

redcup342 wrote: »
    Rotterdam is very nice these days, the Dutch have thrown so much money into it:
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/rotterdam-netherlands-europe-cool-city/index.html?gallery=1

I personally like rotterdam, has some really interesting attractions and a very unique character , in some ways I prefer it to amsterdam, but its hardly 'pretty' compared to other european cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Dollymount strand on the Bull Island, a nature reserve and cracking kitesurf spot. An amazing Island amenity only a few minutes from the city centre, in fact you can see the city centre from it whilst surfing amongst seals and the odd dolphin.

You won't get that in most capital cities!

One of my little pleasures after a night shift is to stop off and sit in one of the bathing shelters and listen to the city wake up.

And telling tourists about the island and how is was formed by the build up of silt from the construction of the north and south walls.

But I really love Howth and Portmarnock, and again amazing people by telling them that there are wallabies living and breeding wild on Lambay Island.

From your posts over the years we both share the same beaches. I sometimes jog on Dollymount but much prefer Portmarnock..

Howth summit looking down over the harbor, Ireland's Eye & Lambay Island's

440200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

With TripAdvisor, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

_Roz_ wrote: »
    With TripAdvisor, probably.
    I can't be the only one who read that as a sarcastic reply to the post directly above yours, instead of to the thread title? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dublin is alright, nice on a good summer's day.

But I care more about this... The Japanese Association of Travel Agents voted Kilkenny as the most beautiful town in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I took this one less than two weeks ago, shows that summer (last photo above) and winter that the views from Howth summit are stunning.

440362.jpg

Yes, I like my bikes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

wakka12 wrote: »
    Then I think you haven't visited Cologne, Rotterdam, Essen, Coventry, Birmingham or a number of other cities in europe which were heavily bombed

It completely depends on where you go and what you consider to be Pretty.

Rotterdam has some amazing modern buildings and some great bars/party locations.

Essen the City Center is hastily re-built post WW2 Structures but it has some really nice parks and attractions.

Coventry ... ehh . has Wetherspoons

Birmingham has some lovely red brick buildings and canals.

Almost all cities in Europe have some crappy area, only one that springs to mind is Bruges, that really is 'pretty' in the conventional sense all over town (inside the walls anyway)

In any case I don't take anyones word for it when they say it's 'pretty', it doesn't really mean anything as it's completely subjective.

Also whether they saw the place in Summer or Winter makes a huge difference, Amsterdam looks really depressing when it's p*ssing rain (as does Dublin)

FFS Malmo is Pretty but it's about as much fun as slapping a dead fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement