Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fixed rate around

• 27-01-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking about fixing for ten years. My LTV would be about 38% and the mortgage is less than 200k.

Who are offering the best rates ? What do you think about fixing now ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

KBC seem to have some very attractive fixed rates. In particular there 10 year rate which gives certainty and peace of mind. I envisage rates staying fairly steady in the short term because of the mortgage war for switchers which we’re seeing across the banks. It’s always a catch 22 when fixing as no one knows what will happen. If you plan on keeping the house for as long as the fixed rate term at least it’s not a bad move to fix as it gives you peace of mind as regards monthly payments. Best of luck it’s what ever you decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

KBC are offering 10 year fixed at 2.95% and giving 3k back in cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭sweet 78

Any one help me .
    I have 20 years left in my mortgage.
    Was going to fix my rate for 5 years at 2.8.
    But I want to start paying my mortgage off early what the best way to do this and pay less interest and hope pay off the loan a few years early
    Do I fix and save for the next five years and then put a lump some in after the 5 years or will this cost more on interest over this time .
    Anybody advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

sweet 78 wrote: »
    Any one help me .
    I have 20 years left in my mortgage.
    Was going to fix my rate for 5 years at 2.8.
    But I want to start paying my mortgage off early what the best way to do this and pay less interest and hope pay off the loan a few years early
    Do I fix and save for the next five years and then put a lump some in after the 5 years or will this cost more on interest over this time .
    Anybody advise

Some banks will allow you to pay a lump off when in a fixed term without penalty so it’d be worth calling your advisor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You can ask your lender to reduce your term by 5 years however this would not be reversible. Some lenders allow you to pay 10% off capital when on a fixed rate so you really need to discuss with your lender. Another alternative is to get a split rate mortgage x amount fixed and x amount variable so that you can make lump sum payments off the variable part when suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Im in the same boat at the moment, im with BOI and they offer 1,3,5 yrs at 3% or 10yrs at 3.3%. I am thinking of switching bank to KBC as there rate is cheaper and a cash back too. Its hard to know what to do, really all your doing is gambling, fixing gives certainty, its hard to see rates coming down much (just my opinion, i know noting about banks) The way i was looking at it is for me if the interest rate drops 1% that would mean a saving of around €70 a month, so if i fixed at 2.9% with KBC and then the rate dropped to 1.9% then id be paying €70 more per month over 10yrs which is €8400. But thats not taking into account the €70 i would be saving if i fixed now without them moving for the next while. Nobody really can answer our questions.

Advertisement