Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician - how much damage is acceptable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mickdw wrote: »
    The last 2 photos with some holes adjacent to and mostly covered by the light fitting could be deemed necessary for what ever reason

They look like a diy hobiest job. If holes are needed above the light, they can easily be kept smaller than the width of the light.

Again, we dont know the exact details, and there are endless possibilities, but it does hint at the electrician sending in the diy enthusiast to finish off.

If all wiring was properly in position somewhere along the length of the light position, then its a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bruthal wrote: »
    Hardly be needing holes to the sides of the lights to sort that.

I wasn’t trying to say he done an acceptable job but unless your there it’s hard to know could be a noggin there and he needed to go beside it might be heating pipes etc, I’m not standing up for the sparks but there may be reasons for making the holes like that but he should have at least patched the cut bits back in ready to be filled and painted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

daheff wrote:
    Has the sparks or his accomplis got a reci license? Could u make a complaint to them for this work?

A reci licence only covers the safety of the wiring. They can be as messy or neat as they want so long as the wiring meets standards

Get the main man in and let him see his partners handy work.

salmocab wrote: »
    I wasn’t trying to say he done an acceptable job but unless your there it’s hard to know could be a noggin there and he needed to go beside it might be heating pipes etc, I’m not standing up for the sparks but there may be reasons for making the holes like that but he should have at least patched the cut bits back in ready to be filled and painted

If all wiring needed is out of ceiling withing the light fitting footprint, no holes need be outside the footprint of the fitting. Either frank spencer came in, or wiring was missing, or hidden by slabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If all wiring needed is out of ceiling withing the light fitting footprint, no holes need be outside the footprint of the fitting. Either frank spencer came in, or wiring was missing, or hidden by slabs.

Yeah I agree with that but neither you nor I have seen more than the photos and read that the OP said the cables were in the right place. Could be they weren’t, it’s a rough way to leave somebody’s ceiling but it is possible the holes were necessary on the day. It may have been the original wiring was wrong or the cables didn’t match up as expected. Again I’m not suggesting it’s okay to leave the ceiling like that but it may have been necessary to do some damage or to have holes outside of the footprint of the fitting

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with that but neither you nor I have seen more than the photos
    As said earlier....
    Again, we dont know the exact details, and there are endless possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

How did you get on?

How did you get on?

Sorry, been working a lot of hours so didnt get a chance to get online.

Main lad appeared, stuck to the story of moving the lights to centre them being the reason for the holes in the roof. Even if true, there are only 2 that would need to have been moved, and yet all 4 need patching up.

Anyway, i made it clear i wasnt happy, he was reasonable about it. He did price it well in the first place (which I was conscious of). We had a cup of tea and a chat. Plasterer popped over and said he can fix it when he's plastering elsewhere in the house (which is grand, though it means i have to get him back sooner than i would have liked, as i want the ceiling in the kitchen fixed, but didnt really otherwise want him back too soon). So I'm starting another house-job that I'd have rathered not start for a little while to get some cash together for it properly.

Upside is that the electrician won me back by doing some extra little bits i didn't ask him to do, but that were useful and helpful.

I am still of the opinion that had i been there when the lights were being fitted that the damage wouldnt be there, but I will live with it for the moment. I was very, irrationally, angry about it for about 2 days, but realised it was only myself i was annoying.

I'm happy with his work overall, his price and his attitude in general. I'd have him back again. His 'business partner', not so much.

Advertisement