Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Has Mars bar got a big brother? There's a poster on boards called king-size mars bar. :)

There's also a battered mars bar around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Luckhurst repeating what Castles says about United going for a midfielder if who they want becomes available by the close of the window.

Wonder who it could be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jorginho is earmarked apparently but there is no way he is leaving Napoli with them being top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Has Mars bar got a big brother? There's a poster on boards called king-size mars bar. :)

Her partner?
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    There's also a battered mars bar around.

Ex partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hasn't Rashford played in every PL game this season. What a load of sh*te.

https://twitter.com/SkyBet/status/957946436955488258

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Hasn't Rashford played in every PL game this season. What a load of sh*te.

Do they actually bother to do the slightest bit of research?

A simple search can show how many times he's played this season.

Absolute garbage which is driven from Sky Producers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Very confused as to what's happening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Should have just called it thready Mac threadface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You will find examples all over the place if silly thread names it's just no one takes offence to a nothing thing in rugby forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Anyway, spurs tomorrow night, massive game

TheDoc wrote: »
    Very confused as to what's happening....

Did you see the hatchet men of Yeovil the other night?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Anyway, spurs tomorrow night, massive game

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3 point Wembley hasn't the same ring as 3 point Lane used to.

3 point Wembley hasn't the same ring as 3 point Lane used to.

Jesse loves a wembley screamer... can see him coming off the bench and scoring the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Listening to a podcast today and the suggestion was that they thought what I had said could happen. Matic, Pogba and Lingard in a central 3 with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez in front of them. If you're playing 433 then it's either Lingard or Herrera. I know Herrera is more naturally suited, but do you try to shoehorn Lingard in for the things he offers? In fairness to Herrera he's shown glimpses of improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jayop wrote: »
    Listening to a podcast today and the suggestion was that they thought what I had said could happen. Matic, Pogba and Lingard in a central 3 with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez in front of them. If you're playing 433 then it's either Lingard or Herrera. I know Herrera is more naturally suited, but do you try to shoehorn Lingard in for the things he offers? In fairness to Herrera he's shown glimpses of improvement.

At the moment that (that exact formation/selection) discussion boils down to whether you select Sanchez over Mata or over Lingard (or Martial).

My personal opinion is that it is over Mata.

If you swap him for Martial you upgrade the quality (based on consistency, imo) but the pace/dribbling/direct threat/style stays the same down that side. I don't see why would should have been looking to upgrade the left side (given we can play Martial or Rashford there).

If you swap him for Lingard I think you miss Lingards addition to the midfield work and you bring in, while maintaining the same drive/attacking midfield threat. Again, you are upgrading the quality of the attacking threat but the style doesn't change - possibly just becoming less defensively solid.

If you swap him for Mata you bring in a much great pace, better dribbling, better direct running and a better goal threat. You lose the passing ability though, and Mata does a lot of defensive work to be fair to him.

You could arguably bring him in for Lingard and play Mata at 10, which means we have pace on either side for Mata to try find with his passing/vision - but Jose really doesn't seem to want to play him at 10 so I don't think it is a worthwhile discussion.

If Sanchez comes in for Martial/Rashford I think the signing was a mistake as the 'different' player was needed on the right - in terms of attacking style/shape I don't think Sanchez differs enough to Martial/Rashford to make it a smart use of funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

jayo26 wrote: »
    Nope we didn't agree to any of that :O

Ah it could've been a couple of Summers ago, can't remember tbh and not arsed looking it up. Just remember it getting out of hand for a week or two and it being curbed.

• Advertisement

Mahrez off to city it seems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Crazy on multiple levels. The fee involved, the panic buying nature.the hypocracy of Pep crying poverty while spending another 150m in a winter transfer window....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If this is Pep thinking he's "working within a budget" then God forbid he actually does ever end up at a club that isn't one of the richest in the world

Any idea on the amounts involved?

Like he doesn't strengthen them at all in any way. Silly move for me.

Any idea on the amounts involved?

Like he doesn't strengthen them at all in any way. Silly move for me.

Looks like Sane could be out for a decent length of time, which has what has caused this late dash for a winger - he would come in for Sane and then offer backup/competition when he returns.

Its just a shame that City don't have a youth side to look to for any talents to come in for a few weeks and be given a shot.

Looks like Sane could be out for a decent length of time, which has what has caused this late dash for a winger - he would come in for Sane and then offer backup/competition when he returns.

Its just a shame that City don't have a youth side to look to for any talents to come in for a few weeks and be given a shot.

Surely they must be near tapped out in terms of squad places now. It's 25 players over 21 for the PL squad with no more than 17 who are not home grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mahrez to City is one of the funniest things I have read today, and I needed cheering up so thank you :)

Brilliant, hope he goes there for a stupid fee. The absolute embodiment of a chequebook manager who has somehow managed to escape that narrative, think its the accent and the clothing style.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bernardo has been the back up winger most of the season. Pep must think hes awful so hes spending probably 50m on a winger who will play for 6 weeks before struggling to make the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mahrez has handed in a transfer request...
    Sky saying 50m+....
    WTF!!!!!

• Advertisement

Surely they must be near tapped out in terms of squad places now. It's 25 players over 21 for the PL squad with no more than 17 who are not home grown.

At the end of the last window it was 18 named, with 4 England trained - so think that leaves them with 3 spaces I think.

This thread title interference has been a bit bizarre, and the content of the current OP is a little inconsistent.

For the last Superthread, we got the following warning (retro-actively) in the OP:
    Slick Ric wrote:

lads, keep the Liverpool chat to a minimum. In fact, just stop it.

No matter how how awesome VVD is biggrin.pngpacman.gifcool.pngtongue.png

And any lurking Liverpool posters, please help keep it that way too.

Thanks.

That was a curve ball, I didn't know until then that we weren't allowed to talk about PL rivals and the strength of their team unless it was kept to a minimum. But anyway, that was an accepted mod warning.

Now in this thread, which has had 4 different names already, we have the OP encouraging talk about Liverpool with the following introduction...
    Looks like it is a good time to start it, will be a lot of happy Man U fans tonight I should imagine.

It was a very good and precise time to have a bit of fun with the new thread and the United posters anyway.

In the 6 years I'm posting here, 8 years lurking, the rules of the the soccer forum have been very clear and well enforced. In the last 2 months though, the charter is still clear, but the enforcement of it isn't and this doesn't seem as objective and fair as its past standards dictate that it should be.

For example, the free-for-all with 'neutrals' that was allowed to occur in here around the Arsenal and City games was a fresh but shítty sight to my eyes. Usually that kind of WUMing in a Superthread is nipped in the bud and punished before it's allowed to fester into what it became. Outside of this thread at the time, 'X player is a scumbag' was used freely and went unpunished in many instances, when historically this was a paddlin'.

Some of the mod behaviour/actions can be very light-handed and selective. Club allegiances and/or dislikes can be too evident at times. With that said, there are some mods around here a fair while who I still have trouble working out which team they support by their mod actions, the way it should be. Also, I quote Slick Ric above, but anytime I've read his posts as a mod or otherwise (beyond the one quoted) I've found them to be fair and well thought-out.

There are just some inconsistencies in here lately, and in the soccer forum in general, where it can be hard to put the head down, ignore it and carry on posting as normal.

Even with Sane missing a few weeks they have

Sterling
    B Silva
    D Silva
    De Bruyne
    Zinchenko
    Brahim
    Foden

and I am sure more I can't think of right now if we look deeper to cover for that.

The league is over, its panic and more power to them, moar pointless signings!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

LoL. I could think of a few thread titles for the City thread. Wouldn't be fare though because they'd still be stuck on the same thread in a few years.

Even with Sane missing a few weeks they have

Sterling
    B Silva
    D Silva
    De Bruyne
    Zinchenko
    Brahim
    Foden

and I am sure more I can't think of right now if we look deeper to cover for that.

The league is over, its panic and more power to them, moar pointless signings!

If they were loaning Mahrez it might make a smidge more sense (loan fee of say 30m be needed). He literally has no prospect once Sane is fit.

Its ridiculous, and the fact that he won't just use what he has in the reserves/youths to get him through this difficult injury crisis is hilarious. I assume the media will cause a **** storm about how he doesn't develop youngsters and how they have no chance of coming through the ranks at City

• Advertisement

Its ridiculous, and the fact that he won't just use what he has in the reserves/youths to get him through this difficult injury crisis is hilarious. I assume the media will cause a **** storm about how he doesn't develop youngsters and how they have no chance of coming through the ranks at City

The problem is that they don't have a Rashford there that everyone can point to as potentially being held back, because no YTS player has gotten the chances that Rashford has to make himself famous at City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You've also got to love the balked at paying the cash for Sanchez cause of his wages, and days after they miss him, they have to go into the market and will end up paying 65m on a very good player but not one near Sanchez' level...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You've also got to love the balked at paying the cash for Sanchez cause of his wages, and days after they miss him, they have to go into the market and will end up paying 65m on a very good player but not one near Sanchez' level...

yep, one that will be 27 in a few weeks so is only 2 years younger than Sanchez and not near as good imo. Put him on a 5 year contract, with wages, fees, purchase price then he'll cost more than Sanchez did but will he even make the bench for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote: »

but but but he's only 26... so its ok to spend that much on him.....

and they're not spending eleventy gajillion bit coins to get him either...

and its always been his dream to play pep ball.... since 4pm this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

With each day goes by this Sanchez business looks a pure steal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Breaking news: FA to charge Mourinho with theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

With these bids it makes it more odd they didn't go for Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Hasn't Rashford played in every PL game this season. What a load of sh*te.

https://twitter.com/SkyBet/status/957946436955488258

The years of being the butt of all the jokes on "A League of Their Own", it's become second nature to him to set himself up for ridicule.

Hococop wrote: »
    With these bids it makes it more odd they didn't go for Sanchez

Or sanchez changed his mind because they wdre trying to be cheap skates and didn't show they wanted him enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or sanchez changed his mind because they wdre trying to be cheap skates and didn't show they wanted him enough.

SKY saying this is second time City approached Leicester this window.

Would love to see exact timeline on when Sanchez decided he was heading to United. Did City immediately turn to Mahrez or did Sane injury force a reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I never bought the whole City thought it was too much money for Sanchez, wages etc.

I mean if you wanted to make something ridiculous up to excuse them not getting him then that would top the lot.

I hope whoever is in charge of their PR department or whoever was responsible saw the utter ludicrousness of it and had a little smile to themselves. If they were thinking they would be taken seriously then they are even more deluded.

I mean I laughed when I read the stories. Up their with the most vulgar of the “money” clubs and they try and peddle that line? **** off!!!

adox wrote: »
    I never bought the whole City thought it was too much money for Sanchez, wages etc.

I mean if you wanted to make something ridiculous up to excuse them not getting him then that would top the lot.

I hope whoever is in charge of their PR department or whoever was responsible saw the utter ludicrousness of it and had a little smile to themselves. If they were thinking they would be taken seriously then they are even more deluded.

I mean I laughed when I read the stories. Up their with the most vulgar of the “money” clubs and they try and peddle that line? **** off!!!

I hope Leicester demand 65m, if Pep is that desperate to get him. It would mean that after Peps "poor" speil the club would have broken their transfer record twice in a week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£500 million spent by Guardiola in 19 months apparently, if the Mahrez deal goes through.

He has it tough.

J. Marston wrote: »
    £500 million spent by Guardiola in 19 months apparently, if the Mahrez deal goes through.

He has it tough.

But they don't spend over 100 million on one player so it's ok.

I didn't know that there are some PL matches happening tonight, dead on.

Mkhi named as a sub away to Swansea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement