Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

Nope

Ooooo maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yes, it’s the first time the club has been here in years which signals that there has been progress.

Being thoroughly unimpressed with an away performance against this Sevilla team doesn't mean I dont recognise there has been progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pogba has done nothing. If he was being rested for Chelsea then not much point if that's what he offers us.

I think he's a great player in the making but I'd find it hard to see anyone defend him tonight, he just doesn't look bothered.

Confidence could be an issue. I don’t think he would be on the bench if it was a fitness issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ooooo maybe

You’d be perfect fit to be VAR man in the van :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pogba has done nothing. If he was being rested for Chelsea then not much point if that's what he offers us.

I think he's a great player in the making but I'd find it hard to see anyone defend him tonight, he just doesn't look bothered.

The entire team has been ****... again

Lukuku is red raw useless at times don't give me the no service I'm talking about when he gets the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

bangkok wrote: »
    The entire team has been ****... again

Matic has been good, attacking wise this team is terrible. No understanding or fluidity and it's been that way for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lukuku is red raw useless at times don't give me the no service I'm talking about when he gets the ball

I wonder will you be interrogated on that as much as others have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder will you be interrogated on that as much as others have.

What was it you said about "snide posts" earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well that was a waste of 2 hours

Thank **** that is over. Brutal

duffman13 wrote: »
    Being thoroughly unimpressed with an away performance against this Sevilla team doesn't mean I dont recognise there has been progress.

But what had you thinking we would be playing good football? Our form ? Our managers tactics ?

I mean, I agree that it hasn’t been great but I didn’t expect much better. Feels like a Jose away euro game all over. Try to knick a goal and sneak a 1-0.

Problem with defensive tactics are the risk of handing initiative to team you are playing and it’s hard to turn things around if you concede. But I remember feeling the exact same with SAF teams. I’m not sure why anybody feels it’s any different under Jose who is trying to build the club up from a low bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Painfully rubbish.

No attempt to play football.

United are an horrendous team to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

People will complain bout the football on display, but I bet Jose won't be too bothered. He played in second gear for the 0-0, and got it. We will kill them at OT. Meanwhile, other han Herrera, he team won't be knackered for Chelsea.

Had plenty of those type of games under Fergie. It was a job to be done and it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    What was it you said about "snide posts" earlier?

My post is directed at no one in particular. Also I'm genuinely curious if he will be subjected to the same flak that I take for expressing my opinion on Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Lord TSC wrote: »
    People will complain bout the football on display, but I bet Jose won't be too bothered. He played in second gear for the 0-0, and got it. We will kill them at OT. Meanwhile, other han Herrera, he team won't be knackered for Chelsea.

Had plenty of those type of games under Fergie. It was a job to be done and it was done.

Duncan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Funny to compare the tone of the commentary and analysis from rte2 to bt by flicking over every 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

United are an horrendous team to watch.

Painful to listen to as well with McManaman on commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can i have my 2 hours back please?

• Advertisement

Kill them at old trafford?? Were you watching the same game i was tonight

More like he got away with it. That was truly dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know what people are expecting. Everyone knows Jose values pragmatism over flair in the away leg. Bar a couple of shaky moments, it was a okay away performance all things considered. No damage done. How many times did Fergie "shut up shop" away from home in the business of the CL?

The worse thing that ever happened is City and Liverpool beating piss-poor opposition last week- gives people a false sense of entitlement that an under-performing United team should be emulating their results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Gadge wrote: »
    Painful to listen to as well with McManaman on commentary.

Ronnie Whelan was a barrel of laughs as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Some people have really poor short term memories.

Fergie's team away in Europe played identically to what we saw tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    Kill them at old trafford?? Were you watching the same game i was tonight

I did. They had two decent chances but were otherwise really poor. They may have had 20 "attempts" but they rarely threatened outside the two saves DDG made. They couldn't score past us despite being at home and being gifted so many "attempts", so I'd have zero fear they'll managed to do **** all against us at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wait until he scores from a through ball against Swansea next month (because he sure as shít won't be scoring against Chelsea and Liverpool) and you'll get the usual parrots going "Oh look, service."

Andy Carroll would've been ashamed of that performance tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’d be delighted if you are correct but I got to be honest I think we are flirting with elimination now as we will need to get 2 goals before we can relax a little in the home tie.

Also this game on the weekend worries me as we seem to suffer hangovers from big games where we go really defensive. We need 2 or 3 games before we look capable of being an attacking force again. In fact since Spurs we’ve been bad.

Not a great watch half decent performance decent result but would much prefer an away goal. There is something still missing from the team but im just not sure what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I don't think Jose told them to play in second gear, that part was not intentional but reflective of our form lately and we have played in second gear at OT at times this season.

Sevilla were there for the taking or at least an away goal was to be had if only some attacking ambition was shown. We had Pogba and Sanchez on the pitch and did nothing really troubling to them.

The 0-0 is a good result but only given our form. You'll watch City, Madrid, Bayern, Barca, Spurs and even Chelsea go away from home and show intent.

Jose's stand off, sit deep let hope they dont get through and hope they make a mistake is such a boring tactic and a chore to watch.

The other side effect of the result is that Jose will feel justified in his tactics and his styles defenders will have something to point to but for me the style of play is unacceptable, Conceding all possession and showing little to zero attacking ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well at least we saw the amazing qualities of Pogba in a 3!

I did. They had two decent chances but were otherwise really poor. They may have had 20 "attempts" but they rarely threatened outside the two saves DDG made. They couldn't score past us despite being at home and being gifted so many "attempts", so I'd have zero fear they'll managed to do **** all against us at Old Trafford.

We cant even pass the ****ing ball to each other!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not pretty viewing but an acceptable result.

Chelsea on Sunday will prove an altogether tougher time.

Thought Lindelof did ok, McT too. Pogs was phoning it in for the most part. Rom was incredibly wasteful with his passing. Sanchez looked our best attacking threat.

We look so utterly flat in the final third it's very concerning. We have a good chance to win the FA Cup and should be coasting to a top 4 finish but I'm not hugely confident of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Headshot wrote: »

The endless Villareal matches....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

We looked solid enough apart from that one really big chance we gave away on the stroke of half time. De Gea should not been given a chance to make the save.

This approach works fine as long as we can kick it up a few gears when we get to OT.

McTominay did well. Pogba was OK but still needs to do more.

Shame we weren't a bit more accurate when the few opportunities did present themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Pure comedy, second gear.... kill them..... we were dire.... disjointed , created very little,
    you can't handle the truth :)

I hope futureguy is having a good sleep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dreading going over to the match on Sunday ! We are such a pooor team to watch ! I might just get hammered at the toll gate !

Fergie didn't have UTD play like this away in the league and at home to City and away to liverpool. Pointing to Fergie doing similar displays in europe is a false equivalency. This is UTD's style the majority of times away from home and at home on occasion also.

Fergie also masterminded great away wins against Bayerns and other top teams. Its only the same on a surface level but dig deeper and the signs are more worrying.

• Advertisement

Considering we're arguably the most expensive team ever assembled that was terrible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Love to hear Fergie's thoughts on that ****e tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Doubt any Man Utd team containing 3 or 4 of Scholes, Sheringham, Solskjaer, Yorke, Cole, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy ever played that negatively in Europe. But maybe that’s down to my memory.

paulbok wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan was a barrel of laughs as well

In fariness to him he made one great point, yes i can't believe I just said that, but late in the 2nd half he mentioned how we had no style or real plan but too stand off and the world of difference in workrate between UTD and Sevilla.

Not showing desire to win possession or get in the oppositions faces is a poor poor tactic after Jose has spent so much money on the squad.

Did ashley young overlap once down the left tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

I've a horrible feeling we'll finish outside the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

In the ens it was a good night for Mc. Lindelof did well in second half. As a group the defending was much better second half.

Annoying was the lack of any link up or focus on working some chances. Too much spread out and hoping to find a killer pass. Rashford and Pogba link up late on or Sanchez, Lukaku and Young link up early in second half needed to happen a lot more.

Links to some of SAFs games are valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

xtal191 wrote: »
    I've a horrible feeling we'll finish outside the top 4

And if we do then rightly or wrongly Jose will likely be out of a job.

Fergie didn't have UTD play like this away in the league and at home to City and away to liverpool. Pointing to Fergie doing similar displays in europe is a false equivalency. This is UTD's style the majority of times away from home and at home on occasion also.

Fergie also masterminded great away wins against Bayerns and other top teams. Its only the same on a surface level but dig deeper and the signs are more worrying.

He did when team was low in confidence or if he felt it was the best approach for a game. Picking random away wins only shows that you remember the good days and discard the majority of the forgetful ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eigrod wrote: »
    Doubt any Man Utd team containing 3 or 4 of Scholes, Sheringham, Solskjaer, Yorke, Cole, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy ever played that negatively in Europe. But maybe that’s down to my memory.

Things changed after utd got hammered by R.Madrid under Fergie. He went over defensive and was awful to watch on alot of away matches.

It got results so it was skimmed over but tonights match is basically fergie mk2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Started to wonder if Rui Faria being Jose’s ever present is a problem? I just found out he never played football either. Is that an issue at all? Is that relationship stale?

Fergie had at least 3 different assistants, maybe 4 from what I remember and would that have freshened up ideas.

Kidd, McLaren, Mullenstein, Phelan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement