Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

And if we do then rightly or wrongly Jose will likely be out of a job.

And that solves what exactly? We get who that has more success and experience then Jose?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Drumpot wrote: »
    He did when team was low in confidence or if he felt it was the best approach for a game. Picking random away wins only shows that you remember the good days and discard the majority of the forgetful ones.

Fergie had over two decades at UTD with some great away results in europe. Discarding them only shows your happy to discard them and remember the defensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And that solves what exactly? We get who that has more success and experience then Jose?

Its not all about success and experience... i mean i wouldnt want wenger near us!!

Pochettinno is the man for me and he has a bit of class about him

Fergie had over two decades at UTD with some great away results in europe. Discarding them only shows your happy to discard them and remember the defensive ones.

What are you talking about? That doesn’t make any sense at all. I never said united never played good away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

bangkok wrote: »
    Its not all about success and experience... i mean i wouldnt want wenger near us!!

I’m completely on board with the Pochettino love but seriously mate we are not getting him. He is Real bound if he even leaves Spurs. We might be able to get him after Real but it’d be probably 3 years from now.

Based on what? A bit of class? What does that even mean? A manager with class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

5 out of our last 8 CL ties in Spain have ended 0-0.

Tonights approach and result is nothing new and will be forgotten about as long as we can win the home leg.

If we are not confident in or capable of beating Sevilla at OT then we don't deserve a place in the quarters.

Headshot wrote: »
    Things changed after utd got hammered by R.Madrid under Fergie. He went over defensive and was awful to watch on alot of away matches.

It got results so it was skimmed over but tonight's match is basically fergie mk2.

No it was more like Moyes mk2. Jose's style is sitting deep and hoping to hold out and the opposition make a mistake. He even does this at home.

Fergie was different, similar at times but not as you say it. He had Welbeck man mark Alonso away too Madrid and we got a score draw, he had more of a plan. Jose's relies on hope and luck more and DDG provided the "luck" tonight.

You can say it all you want but it doesn't make it true. Jose is not the manager he once was, he doesn't have the same fire in his belly anymore, his ego clouds his judgement and he is very negative not just away in europe but away in the league and at home in the league also.

Fergie had fire in his belly right until the last season. He would not have accepted most of what UTD have produced this season. Your comparison is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

S.M.B. wrote: »
    5 out of our last 8 CL ties in Spain have ended 0-0.

Tonights approach and result is nothing new and will be forgotten about as long as we can win the home leg.

If we are not confident in or capable of beating Sevilla at OT then we don't deserve a place in the quarters.

I won't be forgotten for too long if we win the home leg because we will just play the same away in the away leg of the next tie. A better team than Sevilla will likely punish us for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It’s so frustrating to see the absolute dearth of ideas when we get into the final third. Try and put Lukaku through on the keeper seems to be the only tactic we have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jose had managed one away tie in the Champions League knock out stages with United.

One.

Yet you are worried about the signs?

I get why people would complain about the style of play, I see a lack of fluidity in the play. But European away nights are a bad example to use to back up these complaints.

Based on how good he has been for the last few years and how good he has spurs and his players playing this year

No it was more like Moyes mk2. Jose's style is sitting deep and hoping to hold out and the opposition make a mistake. He even does this at home.

Fergie was different, similar at times but not as you say it. He had Welbeck man mark Alonso away too Madrid and we got a score draw, he had more of a plan. Jose's relies on hope and luck more and DDG provided the "luck" tonight.

You can say it all you want but it doesn't make it true. Jose is not the manager he once was, he doesn't have the same fire in his belly anymore, his ego clouds his judgement and he is very negative not just away in europe but away in the league and at home in the league also.

Fergie had fire in his belly right until the last season. He would not have accepted most of what UTD have produced this season. Your comparison is nonsense.

That’s some rose tinted nonsense.

Mourinho being a dick in interview

What are you talking about? That doesn’t make any sense at all. I never said united never played good away!

You said this was normal for UTD in europe under Fergie and I was ignoring all those matches. I pointed out our good results under Fergie and said if you thought this was normal fur us in Europe then you were ignoring some great away performance under Fergie.

I use your exact logic on you. If it doesn't make sense you don't understand your own reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Poch can see auras, apparently :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Headshot wrote: »
    Some people have really poor short term memories.

Fergie's team away in Europe played identically to what we saw tonight
    How could anyone forget? That's been trotted out as an excuse for poor away performances for years since Ferguson left.

Based on how good he has been for the last few years and how good he has spurs and his players playing this year

He has a settled squad, a system that players are expected to fit into (Pogba?!) , lower success targets and has been given plenty of time to organize the team. You are judging Jose after less then 2 years, Give me a break.

He has a settled squad, a system that players are expected to fit into (Pogba?!) , lower success targets and has been given plenty of time to organize the team. You are judging Jose after less then 2 years, Give me a break.

Football has been awful and getting worse

• Advertisement

That’s some rose tinted nonsense.

No its not, its fact. Fergie had more of a plan than sit back and hope in europe. I could go and pick out some great UTD results but I think it would be patronising for everyone else on here (maybe besides you) to have to read it.
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Jose had managed one away tie in the Champions League knock out stages with United.

One.

Yet you are worried about the signs?

I get why people would complain about the style of play, I see a lack of fluidity in the play. But European away nights are a bad example to use to back up these complaints.

Which is why I used other example of utd playing this away in the league and at home in the league to none other than arch rivals City, something Fergie would never have dreamed of. You conveniently choose to ignore all that though.

No its not, its fact. Fergie had more of a plan than sit back and hope in europe. I could go and pick out some great UTD results but I think it would be patronising for everyone else on here (maybe besides you) to have to read it.

Yes, you would pick out the matches that prove something I haven’t said and discard matches that prove you wrong.

Lukaku was shocking tonight. Some of his passes were terrible. Hold up play poor as well

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

More Pochettino madness; the man has never won a trophy and is David Moyes Mark II. He is not the answer. Tonight was poor but we should stick with Jose. Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes destroyed the club and infected the players with a lack of confidence. In Jose we trust.

Which is why I used other example of utd playing this away in the league and at home in the league to none other than arch rivals City, something Fergie would never have dreamed of. You conveniently choose to ignore all that though.

I am not ignoring them for convenience. I am ignoring them as they are nothing to do with Seville away. Europe and the league are not the same.

Yes, you would pick out the matches that prove something I haven’t said and discard matches that prove you wrong.

Of course I would pick out the matches where Fergie attacked and got good results in europe because (a) I'm arguing he did that and (b) those results are fact and actually happened?

Why would I do anything else when that the point I'm making? you do understand this whole having a point and making a case for thing don't you? im not so sure

Plus I never said we didn't ever defend away with Fergie, but it was the standard and at times more tactical then the hope they dont get through style we saw tonight and other times. So I'm not ignoring that either.

• Advertisement

Football has been awful and getting worse

Oh well that explains everything ... I can’t argue with this sort of “logic”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

I could go and pick out some great UTD results but I think it would be patronising for everyone else on here (maybe besides you) to have to read it.

I take it you won't be showing things like us getting beat 0-2 away to Olympiacos in 2013. Right?

More Pochettino madness; the man has never won a trophy and is David Moyes Mark II. He is not the answer. Tonight was poor but we should stick with Jose. Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes destroyed the club and infected the players with a lack of confidence. In Jose we trust.

This has to be a contender for worst post of the year and some of the worst rubbish I have ever read on here.

limnam wrote: »
    I take it you won't be showing things like us getting beat 0-2 away to Olympiacos in 2013. Right?

Probably not since it was in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lukaku was shocking tonight. Some of his passes were terrible. Hold up play poor as well

He was one of our better players when most had below average performances. Some good touches and build up when no one was even supporting him.

Overall poor performance from the team. Need a huge improvement.

• Advertisement

Of course I would pick out the matches where Fergie attacked and got good results in europe because (a) I'm arguing he did that and (b) those results are fact and actually happened?

Why would I do anything else when that the point I'm making? you do understand this whole having a point and making a case for thing don't you? im not so sure

Plus I never said we didn't ever defend away with Fergie, but it was the standard and at times more tactical then the hope they dont get through style we saw tonight and other times. So I'm not ignoring that either.

Having a point on something and ignoring anything that challanges your viewpoint is akin to giving your view and putting your fingers in your ears and going “ la la la la, I’m not listening” if somebody tries to discuss the flaws in your opinion.

Why would I? I'm arguing Fergie had us play attacking football away in europe
    with good results? Why would i pick that result?

Let me guess t hat would mean I'm denying we ever played badly in europe right?

No, I'm not denying any results but pointing to a stye that supports my argument. Jaysus wept how something so basic has to be explained to two seperate posters is beyond me.

You know what they say about broken clocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Maybe i missed it but surely Sanchez deserves some criticism tonight, he was absolutely dreadful, touch awful, decision making awful, effort average.
    I'm not Lukakus biggest fan but felt he did ok with the little help he received yet he seems to be the one getting sent for the high plank. Mc Tominay can be happy with himself but other than the outfield players were poor.

Why would I? I'm arguing Fergie had us play attacking football away in europe
    with good results? Why would i pick that result?

No,no,no don't explain anything.

We have your number.

Having a point on something and ignoring anything that challanges your viewpoint is akin to giving your view and putting your fingers in your ears and going “ la la la la, I’m not listening” if somebody tries to discuss the flaws in your opinion.

Except I didn't ignore anything of the sort and your talking BS. Show me where I said we never played defensively at all in europe.

You wont be able too. I actually acknowledged that he did but not always and pointed to those examples. Your just talking out your hoop now and trying to strawman me.

Maybe i missed it but surely Sanchez deserves some criticism tonight, he was absolutely dreadful, touch awful, decision making awful, effort average.

While playing one of the best passes of the game. sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Wasn't that a Moyes game though not Fergie?

No,no,no don't explain anything.

We have your number.

Funny you cut off the bottom part of my post where i said i didnt deny any results

Are you claiming i think UTD never lost or played badly in europe? Is that actually what your trying to say and all you can come up with because i said Fergie had us attack in europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The most worrying part, for me anyway, is that this is exactly the part of the season where the team should be really hitting its stride. No major disruptive injuries, team has had plenty of time together and time playing under the manager and coaches, plenty of time for the new players to settle in.

They should be pushing on. Instead, the last few matches have, IMO, been some of the worst that we have played. The problem with leaving Lukaku isolated is still there (by all means excuse him based on lack of support, but 2/3rds through the season why has this not been rectified?)

Still no definition of Pogba's role in the match, or apparently even how Jose is going to maximise him.

Rashford continues in his slump. Martial hasn't made the breakthrough.

At best, we are still in the same position, playing wise, as when the season started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

While playing one of the best passes of the game. sure.

Played a sublime ball, doesn't rule out the fact he was pathetic for the rest of the game. The fact i'm defending Lukaku in front of him is reason enough in my head to feel he was very bad because i really like Sanchez and think Lukaku will never become a top drawer striker.

Except I didn't ignore anything of the sort and your talking BS. Show me where I said we never played defensively at all in europe.

You wont be able too. I actually acknowledged that he did but not always and pointed to those examples. Your just talking out your hoop now and trying to strawman me.

It's how many of the posters act in here rather than engage in debate. You made a point, but rather than debate it they just cherry pick one of a minority of instances at odds with that point to try and render your argument invalid.

No way Fergie regularly played like that away in Europe. It was usually tight, safe and defensive but very rarely was it completely devoid of any kind of intensity, control, or attacking threat whatsoever.

Funny you cut off the bottom part of my post where i said i didnt deny any results

Are you claiming i think UTD never lost or played badly in europe? Is that actually what your trying to say and all you can come up with because i said Fergie had us attack in europe?

Fergie played defensively _a _lot_ in th Cl/PL people just remember the success they don't remember all the times we sat off teams.

Put an extra man like ji sung in the middle etc

Your nostalgia is blinding you.

It's how many of the posters act in here rather than engage in debate..

Some just wave around city scarfs.

Each to their own

It was. Haven't seen him correct that yet though, too fast trying to find something wrong with someone else's posts.

Some just wave around city scarfs.

Each to their own

Childish, as per usual.

You know what they say about broken clocks

They dont tell the time??

Questions about league set up in some big matches I can understand.

This is a manager who came to Old Trafford in 2013 and sat back in a 0-0. At a time when Moyes just arrived and Chelsea were after Rooney.

Or in 2015 when on his way to a league title let United have 70% possession at stamford bridge in a 1-0 win for Chelsea. I can see why people don't like that lack of intent to dominate on the front foot and win a specific game. I am not sure how some mix that up with a lack of ambition to win trophies though.

It's how many of the posters act in here rather than engage in debate. You made a point, but rather than debate it they just cherry pick one of a minority of instances at odds with that point to try and render your argument invalid.

No way Fergie regularly played like that away in Europe. It was usually tight, safe and defensive but very rarely was it completely devoid of any kind of intensity, control, or attacking threat whatsoever.

Couldnt have said it better. Fergie had much more control and a solid plan than the rubbish we saw tonight often in europe. Of course we had some bad games and results in europe but the difference is Jose set us out to play like that tonight, it was by design.

For making that point the Jose defender are trying to say I'm ignoring aLL UTD history and bad results. Its laughable that lack of independent thinking and debate on here.

• Advertisement

Well observed sir

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement