Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

limnam wrote: »
    Fergie played defensively _a _lot_ in th Cl/PL people just remember the success they don't remember all the times we sat off teams.

Put an extra man like ji sung in the middle etc

Your nostalgia is blinding you.

No its not because I'm not denying anything you said. You can keep claiming that I am but that won't make it true.

I'm using other cases from our history to support my point. Its a simple point but lost on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    Lukaku was shocking tonight. Some of his passes were terrible. Hold up play poor as well

Shocking? That's extremely harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

No its not because I'm not denying anything you said. You can keep claiming that I am but that won't make it true.

I'm using other cases from our history to support my point. Its a simple point but lost on you.

What history.

Do you want to talk about struggling against Oldham? Crystal Palace in the late 80's/90's?

Filling out the midfield against Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea away from home?

Bottling it against Barca?

What do you want to talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Lukaku was particularly poor this evening, probably the worst I’ve seen him in a United ****, terrible in the air, couldn’t play simple passes and just awful awareness. A waste of 90 minutes spent watching that garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Couldnt have said it better. Fergie had much more control and a solid plan than the rubbish we saw tonight often in europe. Of course we had some bad games and results in europe but the difference is Jose set us out to play like that tonight, it was by design.

For making that point the Jose defender are trying to say I'm ignoring aLL UTD history and bad results. Its laughable that lack of independent thinking and debate on here.

Jose has Been at the club 20 months , not 26 years! The squad has been run into the ground by the last few managers and the owners. But you expect Jose to come in and play organized , confident football at the top level in 20 months?

I posted a piece earlier today from Vidic in 2006 when he joined. United has just lost to Benfica in a piss poor group and went out in Europe. People were calling for SAF Head at that time and Fergie was always at the club. He wasn’t there 20 months, the team was low in confidence and needed time to be rebuilt.

I would argue Jose has a bigger job on his hands and that people whinging about the performance tonight are incapable of patience or awknowledging any of the crap that we had to accept from Fergie teams to get to the good stuff.

So yes, I think you are talking out of your rose tinted memory that’s leading to hyperbolic statements and unrealistic expectations when the reality of the last 5 years are factored into reasonable expectations.

• Advertisement

More Pochettino madness; the man has never won a trophy and is David Moyes Mark II. He is not the answer. Tonight was poor but we should stick with Jose. Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes destroyed the club and infected the players with a lack of confidence. In Jose we trust.

I don’t even know where to begin with this.

What history.

Do you want to talk about struggling against Oldham? Crystal Palace in the late 80's/90's?

Filling out the midfield against Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea away from home?

Bottling it against Barca?

What do you want to talk about?

You just don't see a basic point do you. Why would i want to talk about UTD vs Oldham and Palace in the 90's when I'm comparing Fergies european style vs Fergies? What a bizzare thing to say. Your shifting the argument to something it never was about, if you cant see that I cant help you.

We could talk about UTD hammering Oldham and Palace in the 90's also, wanna talk about our 9-0 win over Ipswich? No because that never was the point.

Talking about our great attacking displays away to Arsenal and Chelsea in Europe and the league would be more on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

More Pochettino madness; the man has never won a trophy and is David Moyes Mark II. He is not the answer. Tonight was poor but we should stick with Jose. Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes destroyed the club and infected the players with a lack of confidence. In Jose we trust.

This has to be a contender for worst post of the year and some of the worst rubbish I have ever read on here.

What on earth are you talking about? Other people might tolerate your confrontational and aggressive posting style, but I won’t.

Which part exactly do you have an issue with?

That appointing a man who has never won a trophy to one of the biggest jobs in football probably isn’t a great idea?

That we made that mistake before with David Moyes?

That the disastrous reigns of David Moyes and Louis van Gaal shattered the confidence of the players at Manchester United?

Or that Jose Mourinho, one of the most successful managers in European and English football history, is the right man for the job?

Which of the above points is “the worst rubbish you’ve ever read”? What’s the crazy point that’s being made that makes it the worst post of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I don’t even know where to begin with this.

Let me help you.

Talking about replacing a proven manager who delivers trophies everywhere he goes with someone who has won fck all is pretty ****ing retarded.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No. Your quotes need adjusting. (as usual)

Drumpot wrote: »
    Jose has Been at the club 20 months , not 26 years! The squad has been run into the ground by the last few managers and the owners. But you expect Jose to come in and play organized , confident football at the top level in 20 months?

Yes. I would expect Jose a manager with lot more than 20 months UCL experience who has the most expensive squad ever assembled to produce more than a footballing display totally void of passion, workrate, possession, attacking threat and style.

I'm not saying he has to win the game, but I want to see him try. I 100% expect more than the dross we got tonight. Do you not? If not your simply the one wearing rose tinted glasses as to the manger Jose used to be and an apologist for mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully Lingard starts at the weekend.

You just don't see a basic point do you. Why would i want to talk about UTD vs Oldham and Palace in the 90's when I'm comparing Fergies european style vs Fergies? What a bizzare thing to say. Your shifting the argument to something it never was about, if you cant see that I cant help you.

We can move it where ever you want.

But just so we're clear.

You dont want to talk about bad results in europe.
    You don't want to talk about negative formations Fergie put out against top teams outside of europe.
    You don't want to talk about negative formations in the PL
    You don't want to talk about negative formation in any non european cups.

You just want to talk about positive results in europe.

Interesting debate your looking for.

44 shots conceded to Sevilla and Huddersfield in the last 2 games compared to the 11 we had, laughable. LVG Served up some of the most stagnant and mediocre football and was heavily critisiced and rightfully so, why is a José exempt? What is there ‘to trust’ ? The lads defending him above are bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jesus that's worrying, you can often read a lot in to what Jose says, the comment in particular about Herreras injury meant he couldn't bring Lingard on with Martial and Rashford (the two fast players) seems to imply but for the injury we wouldn't have seen Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I hope he doesn't turn up in April for the return leg or he'll have missed the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Probably the most disappointing aspect of tonight was the fact Pogba got his chance in a three and looked no better than usual. I'm hoping this Pogba/Jose thing blows over sharpish, them two not getting on just creates a bad feel around the place.

44 shots conceded to Sevilla and Huddersfield in the last 2 games compared to the 11 we had, laughable. LVG Served up some of the most stagnant and mediocre football and was heavily critisiced and rightfully so, why is a José exempt? What is there ‘to trust’ ? The lads defending him above are bonkers.

Hmm

Won the EL.
    Won the League cup
    Got us back into the CL

Has us 2nd in the league.
    Into the last 16 with the upper hand going in tothe home tie. to go into the last 8 in the CL.

In 60 years or so we've won 3 games in Spain. Lost 10 Drawn 10

Worse result ever tonight.

Your right.

Bring back LVG :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What on earth are you talking about? Other people might tolerate your confrontational and aggressive posting style, but I won’t.

Which part exactly do you have an issue with?

That appointing a man who has never won a trophy to one of the biggest jobs in football probably isn’t a great idea?

That we made that mistake before with David Moyes?

That the disastrous reigns of David Moyes and Louis van Gaal shattered the confidence of the players at Manchester United?

Or that Jose Mourinho, one of the most successful managers in European and English football history, is the right man for the job?

Which of the above points is “the worst rubbish you’ve ever read”? What’s the crazy point that’s being made that makes it the worst post of the year?

Its quite simple, the parts I find absolutely laughable are your claim that Moyes and LVG "infected" the players with a lack of confidence and "destroyed" the club, must of been why they won the Europa league last season and the FA cup under LVG.

Laughable nonsense and I stand behind my estimation of it but the cherry on the cake was Poch been Moyes mk2. Yes Moyes who had UTD lose at home to West Brom, Everton, Olympiakos and get hammered at home to City, Liverpool and the infamous games of a 1000 crosses against Fulham all in one season, Moyes who lasted 10 months at utd and had the shortest managerial reign n UTD in 82 years and had us finish outside of the top three for the first time in Premier League history and finished 7th in the league.

Moyes who then went onto to get Sunderland relegated and sacked from Real Sociedad is exactly the same as Poch who lead Southampton to an eighth-placed finish, their highest league position since 2002–03, while also recording their highest points tally since the Premier League began.

Poch who recently had Spurs win 3-1 at home to Madrid, draw 1-1 away to Madrid and come from two goals down at Juve to get a great away goal draw.

Poch who has drawn praise from many areas for his managerial style and team plays.

The fact you think they are the same is absolutely laughable. There are some things that people say that immediately show lack of understanding and are self discrediting and you implied all the above in about two sentences.

Honestly one of the worst posts I've seen on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On seeing the lineup for the spurs game I remember saying that the next 90 minutes would set the tone for the rest of the season and could potentially result in José going back to the drawing board this summer.

José sending out such an attacking team for a big away game seemed so out of character. The experiment blew up in his face regardless of whether it was himself or the players that were to blame.

I think he's resorted back to the ultra conservative approach for these key games now as this cohorts attempt at playing an expansive game simply didn't work.

Hmm

Won the EL.
    Won the League cup
    Got us back into the CL

Into the last 16 with the upper hand going in tothe home tie. to go into the last 8 in the CL.

Your right.

Bring back LVG
    :rolleyes:

Yes you’re right, that’s exactly what I said thank you for clarifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hmm

Won the EL.
    Won the League cup
    Got us back into the CL

Your right.

Bring back LVG :rolleyes:

Don’t forget Jose v Poch

One of them won leagues , European cups with multiple teams (big and not so big) and stopped Barca’s greatest ever side in their tracks, the other has spurs playing good football and challanging for champions league football. Oh and supposedly Poch has class, not sure if that’s a helpful manager trait but it’s on his positive column for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Into the last 16 with the upper hand going in tothe home tie. to go into the last 8 in the CL:

You have to win in OT to go through though. A score draw puts Sevilla through.

Next four games for United are Chelsea (25/2), Palace (5/3), Liverpool (10/3) and Sevilla (13/3).

That's a tricky period with very little turn around time to recover.

If Chelsea and Liverpool win United could be fourth after the weekend. Spurs play twice before United play palace so United might have dropped out of the Top Four by that game.

Lots of ifs there though.

We can move it where ever you want.

But just so we're clear.

You dont want to talk about bad results in europe.
    You don't want to talk about negative formations Fergie put out against top teams outside of europe.
    You don't want to talk about negative formations in the PL
    You don't want to talk about negative formation in any non european cups.

You just want to talk about positive results in europe.

Interesting debate your looking for.

Im debating we had good results in europe yes and giving examples, and I can do that without denying we had bad ones, which I have also acknowledged so you lying when you say otherwise. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Its a very simple point but as this is the third time explaining that to you I don't think you'll get it this time either.

Yes you’re right, that’s exactly what I said thank you for clarifying.

Its obvious he has no point or interest in serious debate or is incapable of it. He justs throws crazy accusations at someone who disagrees with him.

You simply said LVG was open to criticism so why not Jose, a very reasonable and simple point. Never did you mention bringing back LVG.

How he thinks he's doing anything other than looking utterly foolish with his replies is worrying, so are the thanks his rubbish gets.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You have to win in OT to go through though. A score draw puts Sevilla through.

As I said, we've won 3 games in 60 years in Spain. _3_

This is not a shocking result.

Europe is about drawing away winning at home.

Every time a team does it, people say but but but but.

We need to win at old trafford. I'd take that.

Next four games for United are Chelsea (25/2), Palace (5/3), Liverpool (10/3) and Sevilla (13/3).

That's a tricky period with very little turn around time to recover.

League is over.

Whats tricky about it.
    If Chelsea and Liverpool win United could be fourth after the weekend. Spurs play twice before United play palace so United might have dropped out of the Top Four by that game.

Lots of ifs there though.

If me aunty had a bollox she'd be my uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Jose, in the process of alienating a true talent, a mercurial talent the like of which is synonymous with United in Pogba before serving up such a lack of ambition on the pitch against very mediocre opposition says an awful lot to me. This guy is not a United manager. It isn't just about winning, it's about the way you go about it.

Left in situ, he'll win more titles, no doubt, but he'll do it in a pragmatic way with pragmatic players...Pogba will be gone, Martial will be gone, Rashford will be gone and he'll sign a few more Matics... that's where Mourinho want's to take United. But hey you'll get to gloat in work that we won 1 nil on a Saturday.

However I would say that if it comes down to a choice between Pogba and Jose, Woodward will almost certainly pick Pogba, the guy is worth a fortune to the Corporation yo. There's chicken wings to be sold.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Jesus that's worrying, you can often read a lot in to what Jose says, the comment in particular about Herreras injury meant he couldn't bring Lingard on with Martial and Rashford (the two fast players) seems to imply but for the injury we wouldn't have seen Pogba.

We barely saw him as was. Better off with Lingard.

As I said, we've won 3 games in 60 years in Spain. _3_

This is not a shocking result.

Europe is about drawing away winning at home.

The fact that so many lower table sides have gotten points from us and walked through our MF at home is an indication of our poor form and style under this manager and his inability to have us playing well consistently.

Even if we progress against Sevilla at home its easy to see this approach will not work against quality sides, the hold out and hope approach doesn't cut it and its plain to see, but not to Jose and maybe not to you.

The fact that so many lower table sides have gotten points from us and walked through our MF at home is an indication of our poor form and style under this manager and his inability to have us playing well consistently.

Sorry, I'm only talking about europe now.
    Even if we progress against Sevilla at home its easy to see this approach will not work against quality sides, the hold out and hope approach doesn't cut it and its plain to see, but not to Jose and maybe not to you.

How did he win the CL with Inter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sorry, I'm only talking about europe now.

That inter side was a far better and cohesive side than United.

rob316 wrote: »
    That inter side was a far better and cohesive side than United.

Jose managed to make a team cohesive.

Not buying that.

Hopefully we go with Matic - McTominay with Lingard #10, otherwise we leave Lukaku too isolated.

• Advertisement

By Playing a lot better than we are right now. By winning away to Chelsea in the knockouts, by beating the likes of Barcelona and Bayern.

Jose managed to make a team cohesive.

Not buying that.

Something he has failed to do with this UTD squad and it glaringly obvious.

By Playing a lot better than we are right now. By winning away to Chelsea in the knockouts, by beating the likes of Barcelona and Bayern.

But how could they do all that playing jose's philosophy ?

You said it doesn't work against better sides....

Something he has failed to do with this UTD squad and it glaringly obvious.

But did at Porto, Chelsea,Real and Inter?

So the problem might not be Jose is what I hear you saying...or you want to flip flop around something else?

But how could they do all that playing jose's philosophy ?

You said it doesn't work against better sides....

Show me where I said he did the exact same style at each club? In fact I said he's not the manager he once was, he doesn't have the same fire in his belly were my exact words.

You can keep making up false arguments and trying to put words in others mouths but you'll keep getting found out when doing it.

• Advertisement

Show me where I said he did the exact same style at each club? In fact I said he's not the manager he once was, he doesn't have the same fire in his belly were my exact words.

You can keep making up false arguments and trying to put words in others mouths but you'll keep getting found out when doing it.

So how was Inter's "style" different to united's ?

I feel I can learn a lot from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Seriously, I think you're wasting your time pursuing that debate. His goal isn't to discuss anything, it's to just continually undermine anything you say.

But did at Porto, Chelsea,Real and Inter?

So the problem might not be Jose is what I hear you saying...or you want to flip flop around something else?

No thats not what I'm saying, as for what your hearing thats a mystery I think to everyone, its your understanding of basics points or inability to hear a differing opinion thats the problem. I said he was not the manager he once was. Its quite Clear.

Jose lost 9 out of 16 EPL games with Chelsea before getting sacked and coming to us. Did he have that team cohesive?

So how was Inter's "style" different to united's ?

I feel I can learn a lot from you.

i don't think your open to serious discussion or learning, just misrepresenting. Have fun with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

My memory might be a bit hazy so I stand to be corrected but is this not exactly how we got past Barca the last time we won the CL?

Now we might have had a better set of players but my recollection of those two games is us soaking up pressure for the most part and taking one of the very few opportunities that we created.

I could be completely wrong though.

Jose lost 9 out of 16 EPL games with Chelsea before getting sacked and coming to us. Did he have that team cohesive?

It was when he was lifting the PL trophy with them on just 3 occasions.

It's surprising though. How you could win the PL with this "style"

i don't think your open to serious discussion or learning, just misrepresenting. Have fun with it.

Ah, so your all out of ideas then.

Pitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Drumpot wrote: »
    He has a settled squad, a system that players are expected to fit into (Pogba?!) , lower success targets and has been given plenty of time to organize the team. You are judging Jose after less then 2 years, Give me a break.

What system ???. The only player that seems to know what he has to do is DeGea
    How long do we have to give him 5 years 10 years ???
    The football is utter **** and its looking more and more like he hasn't a clue how to get the team playing. The dog and duck play better football in the park of a Sunday

It was when he was lifting the PL trophy with them on just 3 occasions.

It's surprising though. How you could win the PL with this "style"

Another argument you have assigned to me which I didn't make. Again I never claimed he had one style at every club, I said he's not the manager he once was, meaning he's not doing things like he used to.

Thats the fourth or fifth time now I've called you on making stuff up, I'm going to leave it open to the forum to see if you have the decency to actually acknowledge what I said and leave your strawmanning tactic. I don't have much hope.
    Ah, so your all out of ideas then.

Pitty.

I'm not out of ideas, they have remained consistent, I'm done with arguing with you as you create points that are not being made and argue them instead which I've pointed out on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

duffman13 wrote: »

The part bangkok has quoted is not worrying at all, did you listen to the interview? Just the usual desperation is all.

I believe Pogba would have come on anyway and maybe not Rashford if I'm honest, I think Lingard was going to be brought on for the right (where Rashford went) and Martial still would have come on left with Pogba coming in for McTominay or Herrera.

Jose gonna Jose though.

Actually, you know this whole thing with Mourinho/Pogba is further proof as if any were needed that when the media and droolers are **** themselves into a frenzy creating drama to fill the day you are as well off literally saying nothing as you are calling it bull****, which is literally what Mourinho did. Literally said they were lies, and called them bull****ters.

He may as well have said nothing, or yeah me and Paul hate each other, I hate his stupid hair. He hates that I won't let him put Pogboom on his jersey. It is an impasse....

Also, I have just caught a news report on Syria and the kids there again, this **** is only football at the end of the day. Don't stress so much.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement