Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TheDoc wrote: »
    Pogba wouldn't;t get near the city starting line up at the minute,

These arguments typically (and obviously so) just completely eradicate what that manager would be able to extract from them in terms of performance.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying Pogba at City under Guardiola would be playing ahead of Gundagon, and likely even Silva.

And considering how defending is managed in that shape, he'd probably even be there ahead of Fernandhino playing as a deep CM, in a totally different mould to how we see and play our deep CM's in our setup.

Pogba can easily be as good as De Bruyne. Easily. This is the frustrating part, those of us who actually rate Pogba, know how good he can be, and marvel at what he COULD be.

So much of it is of course up to himself, but he also needs help from his manager.
    This is the problem , Pogba has never been what people want him to be,
    At Juve he was a one in 5 player, where he'd have an outrageous game every 5 , he got away with there because they won nearly every game and more importantly they controlled every game so his limitations where not noticed,
    He has always been a player to let games drift by and then do something magic once or twice a game at Juve they won most games so ud look back at his brilliance ,He has always had massive potential but has never really  fulfilled it .
    If you remember the year Juve got to the champions league final with him , Juve played 3 other CM  Pirlo, Vidal and Marchiso (pogba in a free role) as they knew they'd be over ran with Pogba if they didn't;
    He has never been someone to control a game or take it by the scruff as his is indiscipline ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Drumpot wrote: »

I suppose I feel that the club has transfer policy issues that aren't all down to managers. I do feel some players are signed for marketing and popular reasons. Its not that these aren't good players, its that they might not exactly be what the team or manager desperately needs.

At a high level I agree with you. I don't think the club has modernised and put in place structures to ensure the club operates in a way that isn't tied to one managers principles or ideas.

While the club ideally won't "run the transfer policy" that they protect themselves, especially in an environment with the investment we are talking about. And that managers are clearly advised there are expectations set of "We have payers here we believe in, that suit the clubs ethos, and we expect you will provide them the environment to grow and develop and perform"

In the Pogba example, and I know it's an example as you mention, we did have a deficiency in midfield and he is a player that can resolve that adding creativity.

Like our midfield under Van Gaal, look at what it got too. Rooney in midfield, with Carrick and either Fellaini or Herrera, sometimes Schweinsteiger sometimes Schneiderlan.

It wasn't functional and was void of any creativity or drive.

I think as you mention, Sanchez is the perfect example of buying something you don't need, but being unable to turn down the opportunity to sign proven quality. Sanchez we didn't need. End of. But how can you say no to a player like that.

Especially if you think, as like maybe the manager did "Well he's in his prime, I don't need to coach him, I'll drop him in there and he will do the rest".

I think after Mourinho, where we likely will have problems, with a manager coming in who wont play in his style or have his ideas, maybe utilising a squad built in Joses image, where there is only like, a handful of other coaches these days playing that way. So its another rebuild and mountain of money involved. And another ready made excuse of "well these players arnt fit for what I need", that the club put in place a plan to have some hierarchy there, so any incoming manager is very clear there is expectations of utilising existing playing staff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This is a bit random but here goes,

It is amazing how many Players SAF had that he had so much faith in. Many managers now are quick to judge and quick to cast players aside. It gets worse as time goes by and they have more cash to spend.

I get the sense that Jose often has players coming in that fit a profile but that he has no real attachment to them.

He has a role he wants them to do, he will guide them along with his coaches in what he wants but the players need to get it done and fast.

SAF would give players so many chances to prove him right like we saw with someone like Anderson. Jose has no problem deciding, no this is not going to work, move on.

Look at Salah, Guadrado, Felipe Luis, Remy, Scurrle at Chelsea in his last stint. In, out fairly quick as well.

Miki going out so fast shows again that even if he thinks a player is right at the time, if they do not back it up fast, they will be gone.

He is ruthless. Other managers are like that too. Pep and his keepers, Conte and David Luiz etc.

SAF could be ruthless but often with players who were contributing to the team on the pitch but he felt something about them was disruptive. Ince, Becks, Ruud, Stam etc did not get moved on due to what they could do on a pitch.

Why do you think Jose has not settled on a set 11 ? I mean, I think one season at Chelsea he played the same 10-11 for over 30 games.

I can't believe a manager of his calibre and experience didnt walk in the door knowing his exact plan. And that what has happened is he has maybe made wrong assumptions about players, realise he cant get certian players to play X. I don't think he didn't have a plan, I just think his plan didn't work.

Or maybe he didn't have a plan? Who knows.

I think he can't settle on a first XI, because, and this is my opinion, he doesn't know how to coach a coherant attacking structure in a team, because he has never had to. I think his only ideas about how to deal with the problem, is rotating players and people, using his man management tactics to try fire performances out of players. And its been hit and miss.

I think the team outside of the attack generally picks itself. In his eyes.

De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Jones, <LB issue>, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, <RW problem> <10 problem>

If hes changing to a 4-3-3, all well and good to try. But he's been predominantly playing 4-2-3-1. I think he knows his best defence, and maybe recently only shone to Shaw, or maybe it was his plan all along. Defensive changes are based on injuries.

And obviously you factor in performances and how players are.

But I'd imagine he sat down in the summer and thought the below was what his team would be that could compete

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5a9049358dd5dd25d4d2d1c5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pogba wouldn't;t get near the city starting line up at the minute,
    You know what summed Pogba up ,the other night in Sevilla in the first half, he got the ball close to the half way lined produced a brilliant turn to get away from 2 players , Instead of driving forward into the space he rolled his foot over the top of the ball (slowing down play ) and then played it out left to someone level with him
    If he was world class he would have drove forward , there was absolutely no need for the little foot  roll ,its a tiny small thing but sums him up he done the amazing and then does something totally unneeded to look flash but it slowed the attack down, maybe only by a second but still there was zero need for it,

Why does that one sum him up and not the countless times I’ve seen him beat players and drive forward?

• Advertisement

At Juve he was a one in 5 player, where he'd have an outrageous game every 5 , he got away with there because they won nearly every game and more importantly they controlled every game so his limitations where not noticed,
    He has always been a player to let games drift by and then do something magic once or twice a game at Juve they won most games so ud look back at his brilliance ,He has always had massive potential but has never really  fulfilled it .
    If you remember the year Juve got to the champions league final with him , Juve played 3 other CM  Pirlo, Vidal and Marchiso (pogba in a free role) as they knew they'd be over ran with Pogba if they didn't;
    He has never been someone to control a game or take it by the scruff as his is indiscipline ,

Sorry but this type of revisionism on Pogba at Juve is what skewers this debate so much.

I'm not going to pretend I watched Juve every week. But I listen to a lot of podcasts, and he was being praised to high heavens consistently. The only critique against him was his consistency at times, but "he's young so will learn that".

He was a key cog for that midfield. Pogba was the driving force to transition the team forward and also the creative spark, Pirlo bridged from deep with Vidal breaking up play and working the gaps.

I'd ask you to name me a midfielder operating now that "takes the game by the scruff of the neck" and controls the game.

Needs to be some realisation the days of Keane and Viera have been gone absolutely ages, and there is no all dominating all controlling midfielders anymore. Midfield combinations control games, not individual players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

At a high level I agree with you. I don't think the club has modernised and put in place structures to ensure the club operates in a way that isn't tied to one managers principles or ideas.

While the club ideally won't "run the transfer policy" that they protect themselves, especially in an environment with the investment we are talking about. And that managers are clearly advised there are expectations set of "We have payers here we believe in, that suit the clubs ethos, and we expect you will provide them the environment to grow and develop and perform"

In the Pogba example, and I know it's an example as you mention, we did have a deficiency in midfield and he is a player that can resolve that adding creativity.

Like our midfield under Van Gaal, look at what it got too. Rooney in midfield, with Carrick and either Fellaini or Herrera, sometimes Schweinsteiger sometimes Schneiderlan.

It wasn't functional and was void of any creativity or drive.

I think as you mention, Sanchez is the perfect example of buying something you don't need, but being unable to turn down the opportunity to sign proven quality. Sanchez we didn't need. End of. But how can you say no to a player like that.

Especially if you think, as like maybe the manager did "Well he's in his prime, I don't need to coach him, I'll drop him in there and he will do the rest".

I think after Mourinho, where we likely will have problems, with a manager coming in who wont play in his style or have his ideas, maybe utilising a squad built in Joses image, where there is only like, a handful of other coaches these days playing that way. So its another rebuild and mountain of money involved. And another ready made excuse of "well these players arnt fit for what I need", that the club put in place a plan to have some hierarchy there, so any incoming manager is very clear there is expectations of utilising existing playing staff.

I totally agree. I believe the club is actually still in a learning stage of rotating managers and buying squads that can play well with or without a good manager.

It sort of feels like we are City circa 2009/10 trying to buy obviously good players but no real sort of cohesive plan on how it will come together. Just keep buying quality players and eventually something will stick.

What I hope is that Jose at least gives the club some sort of direction that's based on experience building good strong squads.Think of Chelsea when Jose left. They nearly won everything with Avram Grant and won the champions league with Di Matteo! I think that Chelsea squad could of won stuff with Pee Wee Herman at the helm!

I see Jose has publically supported Pogba's reaction to being dropped and coming off the Bench. I hope that this was on some level, a challenge by the manager and that Pogba responded in some way that strengthens their relationship. I worry about Pogba's temperament when he is challenged. I hope he has the skills to harness it into good performances and actually learn from the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

A one in 5 player?? That is nonsense.

Juventus are one of the biggest clubs in europe. You dont stay in the starting 11 every week if you are a 1 in 5 player

'Pep charged over yellow ribbon'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11263888

bangkok wrote: »
    A one in 5 player?? That is nonsense.

Juventus are one of the biggest clubs in europe. You dont stay in the starting 11 every week if you are a 1 in 5 player

I don't think you spend £90mil on a 1 in 5 player either!!!

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    This is a bit random but here goes,

It is amazing how many Players SAF had that he had so much faith in. Many managers now are quick to judge and quick to cast players aside. It gets worse as time goes by and they have more cash to spend.

I get the sense that Jose often has players coming in that fit a profile but that he has no real attachment to them.

He has a role he wants them to do, he will guide them along with his coaches in what he wants but the players need to get it done and fast.

SAF would give players so many chances to prove him right like we saw with someone like Anderson. Jose has no problem deciding, no this is not going to work, move on.

Look at Salah, Guadrado, Felipe Luis, Remy, Scurrle at Chelsea in his last stint. In, out fairly quick as well.

Miki going out so fast shows again that even if he thinks a player is right at the time, if they do not back it up fast, they will be gone.

He is ruthless. Other managers are like that too. Pep and his keepers, Conte and David Luiz etc.

SAF could be ruthless but often with players who were contributing to the team on the pitch but he felt something about them was disruptive. Ince, Becks, Ruud, Stam etc did not get moved on due to what they could do on a pitch.

I guess part of that is the added pressures. We all believed in SAF, the club believed. He gave us every reason to believe he knew what he was doing, because so often he was right, because he was delivering trophies.

But our team was never disjointed, it was never a mess. It had a general ethos, where the blend meant he could put young players in or bring them through, or he could put new signings in and know the rest would cover any deficencies.

It's still unclear if he had lots of money to spend and didnt want to, or if he was being hamstrung by the Glazers. He was old school, he railed against the money coming into agents and players, before they proved their worth. He wanted players hungry, players who wanted to play for the club.

He walked away from Hazard, Aguero, Robben, Lucas Moura and countless others because he didn't like what he was hearing about money. We didn't get blown out of the water, he just didn't want to introduce that sort of thinking into his dressing room. You earned your crust.

He also, persisted with some players FAR too long. When we should have swopped out earlier. So he wasnt always right.

But there is added pressure. We have a precedent set after Moyes. Six year contract, gone within a season for making a bags of it. Talk and preach all we want about longterm, the plan. Van Gaal got the turf because he also believed the club were serious about the long term, the vision. The club arn't angels in this.

They can preach long term, support, stand by the manager all they want. We know the score. They will knee jerk or react like anyone else when serious money is about to be lost or serious creditability about to be throw away. I've no doubt the minute Mourinho loses out on CL football he will or would be fired. No doubt. Theres nothing special about him in this.

So if you have that hanging over you, you know that is the minimum expectations, and you know it's as competitive as ever at the top end of the league, I can fully see why there isn't patience, and players need to perform, and need to perform fast and now.

There is a reason Rashford has started two games in like, ages.

This isn't a manger building anything for the future, he knows he has a very clear mandate, and if he wants to keep his job he knows whats required. So he isnt going to jeapordise that to nurture some people.

And that is perfectly fair enough imo, it is the club that dictate the environment and us as fans with our expectations

Sorry but this type of revisionism on Pogba at Juve is what skewers this debate so much.

I'm not going to pretend I watched Juve every week. But I listen to a lot of podcasts, and he was being praised to high heavens consistently. The only critique against him was his consistency at times, but "he's young so will learn that".

He was a key cog for that midfield. Pogba was the driving force to transition the team forward and also the creative spark, Pirlo bridged from deep with Vidal breaking up play and working the gaps.

I'd ask you to name me a midfielder operating now that "takes the game by the scruff of the neck" and controls the game.

Needs to be some realisation the days of Keane and Viera have been gone absolutely ages, and there is no all dominating all controlling midfielders anymore. Midfield combinations control games, not individual players.
    Your wrong Vidal was the man who drives forward the same way he is at Bayern,
    Pogba floated about the pitch in a free role .,
    Jpw many people hear actually ever watched Pogba play for Juve seems an awful lot just make stuff up, He always played the free role on the left of a 3 always,
    Vidal was the driving force Pirlo the conductor , Pogba dipped in and out of games like he always does, h

I totally agree. I believe the club is actually still in a learning stage of rotating managers and buying squads that can play well with or without a good manager.

It sort of feels like we are City circa 2009/10 trying to buy obviously good players but no real sort of cohesive plan on how it will come together. Just keep buying quality players and eventually something will stick.

What I hope is that Jose at least gives the club some sort of direction that's based on experience building good strong squads.Think of Chelsea when Jose left. They nearly won everything with Avram Grant and won the champions league with Di Matteo! I think that Chelsea squad could of won stuff with Pee Wee Herman at the helm!

Concern I'd have, with a view from afar, is that very few coaches play the game or believe the game is won by playing in his method.

There was A LOT more managers and coaches who you'd hear where "Jose disciples" around his time at Inter and even Real. Very few knocking about now.

I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to players being a single fit for one type of manager either. Jose isn't the big change from Van Gaal people felt, and I said that from the start.

Players want and enjoy playing on the front foot and imposing themselves. Jose hasn't come along and "freed the shackles" from the Van Gaal era as so many people would like to believe, he took the key and unlocked the clasp from the ankles, to put it onto the wrist.

Just thinking, like trying to think of the top of my head. For a squad seemingly in bits, that Jose used Duncan Castles to moan about last season, who bemoaned about the squad he inherited, who has been sent packing?

Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlan, Rooney. Trying to think of anymore

did i anyone else actually watch Juve , he was a free role on the left of a 3 ,
    Vidal was the driving force and Pirlo the conductors or  Marchiso   , Pogba was always about coming in and out of games producing moment of magic and then not doing much for the next 10 minutes or more,

Your wrong Vidal was the man who drives forward the same way he is at Bayern,
    Pogba floated about the pitch in a free role .,
    Jpw many people hear actually ever watched Pogba play for Juve seems an awful lot just make stuff up, He always played the free role on the left of a 3 always,
    Vidal was the driving force Pirlo the conductor , Pogba dipped in and out of games like he always does, h

k

Concern I'd have, with a view from afar, is that very few coaches play the game or believe the game is won by playing in his method.

There was A LOT more managers and coaches who you'd hear where "Jose disciples" around his time at Inter and even Real. Very few knocking about now.

I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to players being a single fit for one type of manager either. Jose isn't the big change from Van Gaal people felt, and I said that from the start.

Players want and enjoy playing on the front foot and imposing themselves. Jose hasn't come along and "freed the shackles" from the Van Gaal era as so many people would like to believe, he took the key and unlocked the clasp from the ankles, to put it onto the wrist.

Just thinking, like trying to think of the top of my head. For a squad seemingly in bits, that Jose used Duncan Castles to moan about last season, who bemoaned about the squad he inherited, who has been sent packing?

Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlan, Rooney. Trying to think of anymore

I wonder if he meant the confidence/temperament of the squad he inherited was not up to scratch ? But like you say, that begs the question why haven't more players been offloaded!

Is Conte's style that different to Joses (when his style is working)? Genuine question, not insinuating it is or is the only thing they share their defencive foundation?

I'm not sure Jose is past it yet and while his tactics may not be popular, I do think that he leaves squads that can adapt if needed. Madrid is the perfect example, he came he won, he left. He made it work at one of the most attack minded clubs in the world, at a club that historically hate spending money on defensive players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm one of those.

I never subscribe to the narrative that "Oh Pep had a better platform to build from, Jose was saving the club from the Van Gaal travesty".

Pound for pound, our squad was and is just, and could be, as good as City. Absolutely no fears or problems for me saying it. The issue is in the performances and the respective managers maximising potential and performance from their respective squads.

Aguero is the only player that sticks out in their squad and always has.

And before you go "ermgad De Bruyne" based on my belief Pogba could be doing the same

he bought pogba he wasnt already at the club so your contradicting yourself there.

tbh anyone who says pep didnt inherit a better squad then jose is being disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It'd be pretty depressing if Martial wants to go. I personally think the guy is the most exciting player we've had in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

ericzeking wrote: »
    It'd be pretty depressing if Martial wants to go. I personally think the guy is the most exciting player we've had in years.

Indeed. There is no benefit to us selling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Had the misfortune of hearing the radio on the way home and learned from Eamon Dunphy that pogba did his best work one season at Juventus on the left of a front three, and now Sanchez had taken away that position from him. That he is a nothing player and Fergie saw that years ago, allowing him to leave for nothing or very little money. No other team will want him if United do try to move him on which they should because of his horrible attitude an lack of ability.

Jesus wept. Then you have them throw it back to some other tit in the studio who "doesn't often agree with eamon" but hes 100% right there... So there you have it, pogba is a nothing player, who did alright one season as a wing forward apparently.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sell Martial, bring Ronnie home :P

Martial isn’t going anywhere, Jose has already said that he will be one of the attacking players he will count on next season..

In other news now, there was more reports last night that Kroos is open to a move to United in the summer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

astradave wrote: »
    Martial isn’t going anywhere, Jose has already said that he will be one of the attacking players he will count on next season..

In other news now, there was more reports last night that Kroos is open to a move to United in the summer..

Contract negotiations these days often tend to be full of drama. I doubt martial is going anywhere. Posturing trying to secure the best deal possible is an agent doing his job as annoying as it is.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

ericzeking wrote: »
    I personally think the guy is the most exciting player we've had in years.

That's pretty depressing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Contract negotiations these days often tend to be full of drama. I doubt martial is going anywhere. Posturing trying to secure the best deal possible is an agent doing his job as annoying as it is.

Pretty much.

We've handed his agent a laundry list of "genuine concerns" for him to bring up in negotiations. He'll get a bigger contract as a result.

limnam wrote: »
    That's pretty depressing.

how is that depressing? Martial is an exceptionally gifted player, will never forget his debut against liverpool.

should never have taken the no9 jersey off him and i also think he should be given a run of games up front

how is that depressing? Martial is an exceptionally gifted player, will never forget his debut against liverpool.

should never have taken the no9 jersey off him and i also think he should be given a run of games up front

It's depressing, that a club like united that Martial is the most exciting he's seen in for years.

Been gifted is great. But if been gifted means showing some great skill to end up falling into 3 defenders after it, it's not very effective.

I think the fact one game of his stands out for you says enough.

• Advertisement

It's depressing, that a club like united that Martial is the most exciting he's seen in for years.

Been gifted is great. But if been gifted means showing some great skill to end up falling into 3 defenders after it, it's not very effective.

I think the fact one game of his stands out for you says enough.

his home debut, against Liverpool, to do what he did was sensational.

Why is it depressing? 17 goals in his debut season and won the golden boy award (best young player playing in Europe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_hVQvHorQ

class

Why is it depressing? 17 goals in his debut season

Rom has over 20 so far and apparently he's rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't think you spend £90mil on a 1 in 5 player either!!!

Based on what we've seen so far, we did.

Rom has over 20 so far and apparently he's rubbish.

Who said he is rubbish? I dont think i have seen one poster on here say he is rubbish

Who said he is rubbish? I dont think i have seen one poster on here say he is rubbish

Was it not you that said he'll be gone in a year?

Maybe it was someone else.

Not a united player, not a natural striker blah blah blah

All combined complaints is close enough to rubbish :pac:

Was it not you that said he'll be gone in a year?

Maybe it was someone else.

Not a united player, not a natural striker blah blah blah

All combined complaints is close enough to rubbish :pac:

Ah come on, he has continuously said that he believes Rom is a good player but in his opinion doesn’t believe he is a top player, and that we need to bring in a top player to replace him.

While that opinion is probably not held by many, he is entitled to that. He’s never once said Rom is a rubbish player.

Can’t believe I’m defending Bangkok here :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah come on, he has continuously said that he believes Rom is a good player but in his opinion doesn’t believe he is a top player, and that we need to bring in a top player to replace him.

While that opinion is probably not held by many, he is entitled to that. He’s never once said Rom is a rubbish player.

I think you've been on the sauce!! :pac:

So Martial is the most exciting player, class. Scored 17 goals in debut season.

Rom's not a top player, should be replaced. Scored 20+ so far.

It's head scratching.

It's head scratching.

It doesn’t help I’m off my head on medication :D

It’s not really head scratching tbh, I think he believes it’s other parts of Roms game that aren’t up to scratch. I don’t agree with him but he’s hardly calling him rubbish

It's head scratching.

Martial was 19, spoke no english and was in his debut season in the premier league and one of the biggest clubs in the world. His skill level is much better than lukaku and he has more composure in front of goal.

Friends xxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pretty much agree with him too. Aguero, Kane and, depending on how he adapts, Aubameyang are the standard bearers in the league and Lukaku is in the second group with Firmino and Morata imo. I think he's a very good player and has the potential to step it up to the level of the top strikers but is yet to show it for United. He's done well in some games where the team has looked bad which were encouraging but I think there are fundamental flaws in his game that are very tough to overcome which aren't present in the truly top level strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Off topic

But realising how unblievable DDG is. The guy signed at the club, taking over a big solid keeper in VDS ( which who was outstanding at this club) with big expections. Had a massively shakey season or two but grew into a stalwhart at united. Thats not to say bad defence or anything makes him look good. We are looking at a world class player every weekend, have to emphasise World Class.

In all this media hype about outfield players and the ****e that goes on, this nervous kid, playing between the posts who was to scared to come out and punch a ball on the corner turned into and always will be a united worthy goal keeper legend.

A class act and an absolute world 11!

Martial was 19, spoke no english and was in his debut season in the premier league and one of the biggest clubs in the world. His skill level is much better than lukaku and he has more composure in front of goal.

He also played on the left in many games.

I saw someone call him "red raw useless" in here very recently which wasn't challenged by anyone because he had the right username.

Some of the rags were reporting yesterday that Darmian has agreed terms with Juventus for a Summer move.

He's been linked with a move away from United for ages now, he's like the anti-Gaitan. I would be surprised to see him still with us next season. A few seasons in now, it's probably safe to say that the move hasn't been a success for him or for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I saw someone call him "red raw useless" in here very recently which wasn't challenged by anyone because he had the right username.

If someone declares a player like Lukaka as "red raw useless" then there is imo no point trying to debate that because it's clearly a nonsense opinion.

My own personal issue with bangkok and his opinion about Rom is that he is the only player that is consistently targeted about "poor performances" while he consistently heaps praise on and defends an underperforming Pogba.

We have seen it in here for years with his consistent criticism and targeting of Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Some of the rags were reporting yesterday that Darmian has agreed terms with Juventus for a Summer move.

He's been linked with a move away from United for ages now, he's like the anti-Gaitan. I would be surprised to see him still with us next season. A few seasons in now, it's probably safe to say that the move hasn't been a success for him or for us.

Very hard for someone who is not a fantastic athlete like Valencia to be able to get up and back quickly enough while to only player on the right.

Far better crosser mind you. Would like to see Aleix Vidal get signed in summer. Probably would still have the confidence and pace to get to the byline and put in a few higher % balls to the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Because we’ve been in a state of flux, the De Gea piece is sometimes forgotten. People always look at their own era through rose-tinted lenses, but I have never seen a better goalkeeper than David De Gea, and I include Schmeichel, Neuer, Buffon, Pat Jennings, Van der Saar...anyone. The man’s performances are supernatural on occasion; he’s like something out of Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

thread does be like conspiracy theories sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You know what I’d do if I really wanted to wind up some Liverpool fans? I would sign up to the soccer forum as a Liverpool fan and spend my time in their thread bitching and moaning about everything Liverpool while fawning over United and Everton. Then whinge about being picked on and nobody taking me serious.

Now I’m not saying that’s going on in here but maybe some people look at other posters and put 2 and 2 together and get 5... or 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Because we’ve been in a state of flux, the De Gea piece is sometimes forgotten. People always look at their own era through rose-tinted lenses, but I have never seen a better goalkeeper than David De Gea, and I include Schmeichel, Neuer, Buffon, Pat Jennings, Van der Saar...anyone. The man’s performances are supernatural on occasion; he’s like something out of Game of Thrones.

This is a quote I found from him online. And it's the one and only thing I'd change about him.

"After a great save or a mistake by a defender I prefer not to shout on him, I prefer to wait and say it inside of the dressing room. I was always like that. I am relaxed, I try to be normal after a mistake, and when I make a mistake I don't want people coming to me on the pitch shouting at me. So I try to do the same with my players, to give confidence to them. That's it, it's football, you have to make mistakes, it's normal."

I really wish he was more vocal with his defence. At all times, not just after mistakes are made. Some defenders need a blast sometimes to keep them on their toes and concentrated. Most of the great keepers I've seen are constantly talking to their defense and visa versa. I think it builds a sort of bunker mentality.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement