Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah fair enough. But I also posted (directed at no one in particular) during the Sevilla game that the game was going exactly how I thought it was.

You responded with:

'Ah it's not, surely your happy enough you got to point that out for example?'

I asked if you get tired of the snide posting and you replied with

'I will never tire of laughing at certain things I'm afraid'

Hardly constructive. Now, would you have responded like that to every other poster in here? I don't think so.

Of course I would, my posting style is pretty consistent. There are always posters you gel with more than others and some you know are purely in a wind up a lot of the time.

I take nothing on this board personally, or overly seriously. That why I laugh at a lot of the stuff. I have nothing against you as a poster or Bangkok for that matter but obviously when someone continually spouts what I consider rubbish I am going to respond at some point.

That would go for whether it was mick, tsc, astradave, whoever. Deliberately misleading posts should be called out for what they are since it doesn't take much for something to become accepted fact on tinternet.

Inconsistency in how someone views one player as opposed to another is always amusing, never gonna get under my skin but if you can't laugh about it then what is the point in it all?

Look at my in, Roy Keane can pretty much do no wrong in my ews, I have him on a pedestal but for sure I would not allow the same leeway to many others. I acknowledge that, it's just part of who I am.

I also feel that you have a little chip on your shoulder, a hangover from the Rooney days maybe and one I do hope you can move on from as you do make good contributions when you stick to the football discussion. Even if I don't agree with them. You may obviously disagree with that, that's fine too.

It really is just a discussion board, about just a game.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I would take no pleasure in Jose leaving (either by choice or the sack) mainly because I don’t think there is anyone else with any assurity to do the job better.

I worry Diego Simeone is the last high profile manager available but I think we are swapping like for like there again. Maybe someone with better knowledge of Simeone and his tactics can enlighten me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GSPfan wrote: »
    I would take no pleasure in Jose leaving (either by choice or the sack) mainly because I don’t think there is anyone else with any assurity to do the job better.

I worry Diego Simeone is the last high profile manager available but I think we are swapping like for like there again. Maybe someone with better knowledge of Simeone and his tactics can enlighten me.

My understanding of Simeone is he's even more "negative" than Jose, in terms of trying to maintain a super solid defence and being happy to grind out wins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

My ears are burning all morning. Whats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My understanding of Simeone is he's even more "negative" than Jose, in terms of trying to maintain a super solid defence and being happy to grind out wins...

Yeah he regularly used two banks of 4 on occassion. Always had 2 proper holding midfielders, then Koke/Saul on one of the wings coming in very central to join the holding mids. Then just burst out on a counter attack after stifling out the would be attack. Devasting when executed but far far from offensive football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Look at my in, Roy Keane can pretty much do no wrong in my ews, I have him on a pedestal.

You chose the right player.

He's never made a misstep in his life.

While he has never managed a real or barcelona when you look at his teams goals scored and conceded over the past few years you get a fair idea of what his team is about. Not a criticism more an observation on my part

bangkok wrote: »
    My ears are burning all morning. Whats going on?

I think your hats on fire its ok though jayo will still eat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While he has never managed a real or barcelona when you look at his teams goals scored and conceded over the past few years you get a fair idea of what his team is about. Not a criticism more an observation on my part

I actually like Atletico and admire their work ethic. Its just for people who dislike Jose's style they certainly wont like Simeone's

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah he regularly used two banks of 4 on occassion. Always had 2 proper holding midfielders, then Koke/Saul on one of the wings coming in very central to join the holding mids. Then just burst out on a counter attack after stifling out the would be attack. Devasting when executed but far far from offensive football.

Just looking at the Spanish league, he's in second with 36 goals in 24 games, with only nine conceded. The worst goal scored rate of the top four but the best defence.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the Spanish league, he's in second with 36 goals in 24 games, with only nine conceded. The worst goal scored rate of the top four but the best defence.

Similar to us if you take top 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I really think if it does end up that it don't work out here for Jose the club needs to look at its self long term and say where do we want to go.

We would have tried 3 different managers with 3 totally different directions and varying degrees of success.

The way forward will have to be answering first what style of football do we want the team to play then what what profile of manager do we want. Do we want someone to coach players and bring in kids or do we want a manager to keep buying new players.

It's going to have to get to the stage where the club's needs to have a style and chose managers around that style instead of looking at different style managers and changing players to suit.

For what it's worth I think Jose is doing fine at the moment but he needs to pull the team out of these lacklustre performances of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

We are hardly gonna sack Jose if he doesn’t bring us Top 4..

We will need consistency to win back to back Champions leagues!

jayo26 wrote: »
    For what it's worth I think Jose is doing fine at the moment but he needs to pull the team out of these lacklustre performances of late.

It's a fickle aul sport sometimes.

if we look back to Mark Robbin's goal saving SAF from getting the sack and going on to be one of the most successful managers of all time.

A loss tomorrow could potentially put a top 4 position in jeopardy and potentially his job. To a win pretty much locks down top 4 and the end of the jose's getting sacked in the morning for another year at least.

Who'd want to be a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

@donkey

If you think everyone is picking on you because of your username report it if not grow up and talk about United.

Your the one calling people simpletons and it's not the first time either you have brought childish attacks on others.

Act like a child all you want but don't expect people to give a toss about your opinion.

I'm not claiming anyone is picking on me over my username, my point is people are more readily prepared to challenge others on their opinion depending on who they are and I've cited plenty of examples of that.

When have I brought childish attacks on others? I try and refrain from attacking others but I used simpletons in relation to those claiming myself and bangkok aren't actually United fans. We have been posting in this forum for years, it's pretty obvious that we are United fans and we watch pretty much every game like every one else in here. Yet when posters who know full well that we are United fans continuously claim that we are secretly City fans or Liverpool fans that are just here to wind others up (for years) then those comments do absolutely nothing for the thread and don't contribute to discussion in any way shape or form and I'll call them out for what they are: childish, simple, bullsh*t.

Finally, I don't expect anyone to give a toss about my opinion. Respond to me if you want, thank my posts or quote my posts if you want or put me on ignore if you want. I honestly couldn't care less.

limnam wrote: »
    You chose the right player.

He's never made a misstep in his life.

Exactly :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

At the end of the day we are all on boards for a reason.. that’s discussion ( and posting of the gifs).. I’m not trying to backseat mod here but can we all just draw a line under this **** that’s been going on the last few pages and have some proper discussion?

Jose was bigging McTominay up again yesterday in his press conference so we could see a good 3 man midfield featuring Pogba Matic and McTominay from the start tomorrow.. personally I think we should go 352 with wingbacks and those three in the middle with Sanchez and Lukaku up top

• Not sure if posted already

if we look back to Mark Robbin's goal saving SAF from getting the sack and going on to be one of the most successful managers of all time.

A loss tomorrow could potentially put a top 4 position in jeopardy and potentially his job. To a win pretty much locks down top 4 and the end of the jose's getting sacked in the morning for another year at least.

It is true I wouldn't be calling for the managers head if we lose tomorrow but I know alot more people will be in here doing the same and saying how embarrassed they are and if we win it will be like we all went out and got drunk and ended up going home with Kate Upton.

I always maintained that the time to judge the manager and team properly is at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

When have brought childish attacks on others? I try and refrain from attacking others but I used simpletons in relation to those claiming myself and bangkok aren't actually United fans. We have been posting in this forum for years, it's pretty obvious that we are United fans and we watch pretty much every game like every one else in here.

Considering the one thing you like about Mick is he doesn't take anything too seriously. It might be a good idea to follow suit.

Is it not obvious to you that if someone in this thread said your not a united fan there was at least some tongue and cheek involved ?

Especially after rooneygate :pac:

• limnam wrote: »

They will get over it, they get paid enough :pac:

Of course I would, my posting style is pretty consistent. There are always posters you gel with more than others and some you know are purely in a wind up a lot of the time.

I take nothing on this board personally, or overly seriously. That why I laugh at a lot of the stuff. I have nothing against you as a poster or Bangkok for that matter but obviously when someone continually spouts what I consider rubbish I am going to respond at some point.

But what I said wasn't rubbish? I simply said that it was sad that the game was going exactly how I thought it would. You could have asked what way I thought the game would go, or what way I would have liked the game to go, or you could have just not responded at all but instead your post was, to paraphrase here "ah it's not so bad, at least you got to point out that you were right". Which incidentally, was exactly why I didn't post before the game on how I thought it would pan out because, as I've seen before, it would have likely been met with posters claiming that I hope we play bad or we lose so that my opinion is vindicated.

I also feel that you have a little chip on your shoulder, a hangover from the Rooney days maybe and one I do hope you can move on from as you do make good contributions when you stick to the football discussion. Even if I don't agree with them. You may obviously disagree with that, that's fine too.

It really is just a discussion board, about just a game.

Again, I believe it's the opposite and that some people are entrenched in their opinion of me over my stance on the Rooney thing. I have more than moved on from it, I've barely even mentioned him since he left. The few times I have has been to contribute to a discussion in which he was already named and even then on one occasion I was met with the "I see you still have the Rooney alerts" nonsense.

I'm not claiming anyone is picking on me over my username, my point is people are more readily to challenge others on their opinion depending on who they are and I've cited plenty of examples of that.

When have brought childish attacks on others? I try and refrain from attacking others but I used simpletons in relation to those claiming myself and bangkok aren't actually United fans. We have been posting in this forum for years, it's pretty obvious that we are United fans and we watch pretty much every game like every one else in here. Yet when posters who know full well that we are United fans continuously claim that we are secretly City fans or Liverpool fans that are just here to wind others up (for years) then those comments do absolutely nothing for the thread and don't contribute to discussion in any way shape or form and I'll call them out for what they are: childish, simple, bullsh*t.

Finally, I don't expect anyone to give a toss about my opinion. Respond to me if you want, thank my posts or quote my posts if you want or put me on ignore if you want. I honestly couldn't care less.

Because some people can be shown to have an extreme opinion but can see things from both sides micks jaguar posted that about lukaku the other night and I think it was largely ignored because people were just fed up debating it.

I don't put Bangkok in same bracket as you he has some extreme opinions but can back up them opinions at times too and can side with other people at other times too. I have actually messaged Bangkok at one stage to make sure he knows I have nothing personal against him.

But other posters on the extreme even when things are going well come in with the most negative spin on things and don't back it up.

Even to take yourself for example when Rooney was here even tho he was one of the worst performing forwards for past couple years you defended him to the last Now lukaku is here and yes you might say oh he is a decent player but more then likely you will find fault in him most games or else if he has a good game you won't acknowledge it.

I don't want to go back and forth with you I have no interest in it but just to explain if your going to have such constant negative views then people are not gonna like them.

Because some people can be shown to have an extreme opinion but can see things from both sides micks jaguar posted that about lukaku the other night and I think it was largely ignored because people were just fed up debating it.

I don't put Bangkok in same bracket as you he has some extreme opinions but can back up them opinions at times too and can side with other people at other times too. I have actually messaged Bangkok at one stage to make sure he knows I have nothing personal against him.

What extreme opinions do I have? And when have I failed to back them up? I'm happy to back up what my thoughts on the players and the squad are here, that's why I'm here.
    But other posters on the extreme even when things are going well come in with the most negative spin on things and don't back it up.

Again, what am I failing to back up?
    Even to take yourself for example when Rooney was here even tho he was one of the worst performing forwards for past couple years you defended him to the last Now lukaku is here and yes you might say oh he is a decent player but more then likely you will find fault in him most games or else if he has a good game you won't acknowledge it.

As I said recently, I generally offered more of a reasoned perspective on Rooney. There was enough people here hammering him for everything ranging from a poor touch, to his diet, to his contract negotiations etc. Some of it valid, a lot of it well over the top.

Lukaku has made 42 appearances this season. There is no way I am on here after most of him saying something negative about him. My opinion on him is more of a broader perspective, rather than game by game.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I actually like Atletico and admire their work ethic. Its just for people who dislike Jose's style they certainly wont like Simeone's

Yeap.

So you've got the choice then to make. Change philosophies all over again, looking for a manager who'll play in the vein of Klopp, Poch and Pep, which means utterly rebuilding parts of the team again. Or bring in someone like Simeone who'd be playing a similar philosophy of football and would likely have the fans moaning again inside 18 months.

You'd also have the issue that any new manager coming in will need to spend time and money rebuilding the defense, which will hinder a more attack minded manager potentially.

Can anyone genuinely give a candidate for a manager who is realistic for this Summer?

That’s one of two reasons I can’t wish for a manager change. There’s nobody I can think of who I like more that is gettable, and I also think Jose is a winner and he somehow wins trophies.

*Rule out Pochettino as he isn’t going to United. He’ll be at Real Madrid before United.

Can anyone genuinely give a candidate for a manager who is realistic for this Summer?

That’s one of two reasons I can’t wish for a manager change. There’s nobody I can think of who I like more that is gettable, and I also think Jose is a winner and he somehow wins trophies.

*Rule out Pochettino as he isn’t going to United. He’ll be at Real Madrid before United.

Agree I don't think they are any managers out there that would be guaranteed to improve but if it does come to it then I think it will be a manager that will be a bit more of a gamble.

Look at Barcelona they judge managers on style of play first then look at the cv and none of them would have massive top class cvs so its something united will probanly have to do.

Enrique will probably go to Chelsea this summer will he?

What extreme opinions do I have? And when have I failed to back them up? I'm happy to back up what my thoughts on the players and the squad are here, that's why I'm here.

Again, what am I failing to back up?

As I said recently, I generally offered more of a reasoned perspective on Rooney. There was enough people here hammering him for everything ranging from a poor touch, to his diet, to his contract negotiations etc. Some of it valid, a lot of it well over the top.

Lukaku has made 42 appearances this season. There is no way I am on here after most of him saying something negative about him. My opinion on him is more of a broader perspective, rather than game by game.

My opinion of your posts and why i call your views extreme is pretty much negative United majority of your posts. I'm not going to back it up and I don't have to back it up I just feel that's how you come across to me.

I'm not attacking you im giving my opinions on your postsing style I feel you feed off negativity and probably enjoy it and others probably feel the same about you too.

Into 3rd.

The collapse is real :pac:

• Advertisement

Agree I don't think they are any managers out there that would be guaranteed to improve but if it does come to it then I think it will be a manager that will be a bit more of a gamble.

Look at Barcelona they judge managers on style of play first then look at the cv and none of them would have massive top class cvs so its something united will probanly have to do.

Enrique will probably go to Chelsea this summer will he?

Yeah Enrique at Chelsea is an obvious choice in my view.

I know I’ve said it a few times but if let’s say Jose is sacked or walks or whatever I am betting you that Brendan Rodgers is in the running. I think we’ll be so hungry for a more exciting style of play and now that he is at Celtic winning leagues he will be a name dropped in. I actually can’t say I hate the idea either but not something I’d wish for either. Was it Rodgers who came in and got rid of record signing Andy Carroll?

Yeah Enrique at Chelsea is an obvious choice in my view.

I know I’ve said it a few times but if let’s say Jose is sacked or walks or whatever I am betting you that Brendan Rodgers is in the running. I think we’ll be so hungry for a more exciting style of play and now that he is at Celtic winning leagues he will be a name dropped in. I actually can’t say I hate the idea either but not something I’d wish for either. Was it Rodgers who came in and got rid of record signing Andy Carroll?

I just felt a big of vomit in my throat. That will never ever happen.

I am betting you that Brendan Rodgers is in the running.

I'd eat my hat.
    Jayop's hat
    Bankok's hat

And go on MOTD in my boxers if he was to become the next united manager.

I could win the league with Celtic tbh. :pac:

I just felt a big of vomit in my throat. That will never ever happen.

Ha ha ha. I’m telling you mate it’s possible. If I rightly predict Jose goes to PSG and Rodgers ends up at Utd you’ll never hear the end of it. I actually should try find odds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

If Mou were to leave our best option would be Maurizio Sarri. His football is unbelievable.

Definitely would take someone in that mould to make our players really tick.

Rodgers wont get near us. No one with any links to Pool will.
    Into 3rd.

The collapse is real :pac:

3-0 loss to Chelsea tomorrow puts us down to 4th then too, yeah? :(

My opinion of your posts and why i call your views extreme is pretty much negative United majority of your posts. I'm not going to back it up and I don't have to back it up I just feel that's how you come across to me.

I'm not attacking you im giving my opinions on your postsing style I feel you feed off negativity and probably enjoy it and others probably feel the same about you too.

I'll post my honest thoughts on the games, the players, the playing style, the manager and whatever else. If it's too negative for you then so be it, but I won't say a sh*t performance is a good performance or say a player that I don't think is a top player is a top player. I won't be full of positivity following an expected win against Swansea or Brighton one week when I'm fully expecting us to play like sh*t and draw/ lose in a winnable game the next.

Rodgers wont get near us. No one with any links to Pool will(

Does that only apply to managers cause Michael Owen was much more synonymous with Liverpool and we took him on?

Has Emre Can signed for anyone yet? Watch Jose go after him too in the Summer.

Toobz wrote: »
    If Mou were to leave our best option would be Maurizio Sarri. His football is unbelievable.

Definitely would take someone in that mould to make our players really tick.

Honestly have no idea who that is.

Just searched him and there’s no way the marketing team at Utd would have a chain smoker as manager! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has Emre Can signed for anyone yet? Watch Jose go after him too in the Summer.

Apparently he has a precontract with Juve.

• Advertisement

Honestly have no idea who that is.

Just searched him and there’s no way the marketing team at Utd would have a chain smoker as manager! :)

Me too not sure they'd be building a smoking pod in the dressing room either.

Wouldn't he have the same problem as has been stated with poc and many others

Hasn't won anything.

Hasn't won anything.

Well it strikes me that there's now a group who seem to prioritize style of play over winning anything.....

Hasn't won anything.

That’s why it’s a straight fight between Simeone and Rodgers! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Rodgers wont get near us. No one with any links to Pool will.

3-0 loss to Chelsea tomorrow puts us down to 4th then too, yeah? :(

A win puts us back into second :)
    As can West Ham...
    Positivity.

Well it strikes me that there's now a group who seem to prioritize style of play over winning anything.....

The problem is that if your style of play is terrible then you get almost no grace time when you stop winning. Whereas an exciting team winning nothing gives the manager a lot more time.

If you get it right it’s hailed as a miracle. Ask Pep. Only takes half a billion, or the best player who ever lived to achieve it.

In that case I'd like to go for Keith Andrews.

Apparently he had the Irish youth squad playing like Brazil. :pac:

What an end to the Ireland game, it’s over to you Hammers!

Liverpool fans chanting Suarez name and booing every time Evra gets the ball. Classy :rolleyes:

He kicks his own fans in the face so they better be careful.

• Advertisement

But what I said wasn't rubbish? I simply said that it was sad that the game was going exactly how I thought it would. You could have asked what way I thought the game would go, or what way I would have liked the game to go, or you could have just not responded at all but instead your post was, to paraphrase here "ah it's not so bad, at least you got to point out that you were right". Which incidentally, was exactly why I didn't post before the game on how I thought it would pan out because, as I've seen before, it would have likely been met with posters claiming that I hope we play bad or we lose so that my opinion is vindicated.

Again, I believe it's the opposite and that some people are entrenched in their opinion of me over my stance on the Rooney thing. I have more than moved on from it, I've barely even mentioned him since he left. The few times I have has been to contribute to a discussion in which he was already named and even then on one occasion I was met with the "I see you still have the Rooney alerts" nonsense.

I'm on the mobile so I can't get in to too much detail here sorry, I wasn't referring to your post as rubbish. I was speaking about bangkoks posts. The part relevant to you is about holding two different players to different stabdards ala me with Keane. Sorry if that was unclear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement