Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No clue how tomorrow will go.

We obviously have the capability to beat Chelsea as we proved last season, we have a better squad this year but are devoid of anything resembling confidence.

I do think if we lose we will end up missing out on top 4.

Palace away is tricky and then the Scouse.

It will be an utter failure if we fail to make the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

pjohnson wrote: »
    "King Luis" who the **** is that?

Well according to Google, he was the last ever French king :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Have I missed a meltdown on this thread or something? Pretty sure I've been here for the last while and haven't seen one but judging on some comments elsewhere I feel like I must have missed a few lads breaking the computer screens?

Anybody who is butthurt about today or if results today have surprised anybody can you raise your hand and move to the side of the room so I can see you?

I came in here to see these comments. Im guessing by your tone im in for a disappointment :( Guess it saves me scrolling back a few pages looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

irishman86 wrote: »
    I came in here to see these comments. Im guessing by your tone im in for a disappointment :( Guess it saves me scrolling back a few pages looking

It's a strange one alright. The others seen convinced it's happening , I dunno maybe they were looking forward to a reaction and when none came they just ploughed ahead with it anyway .

Don't waste your time going back though no, not much to see there in that regard.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

How good was that bloody Scotland result!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

It's a strange one alright. The others seen convinced it's happening , I dunno maybe they were looking forward to a reaction and when none came they just ploughed ahead with it anyway .

Don't waste your time going back though no, not much to see there in that regard.

Ah tbh the guy that came for a card made my day
    It was brilliant
    Word mastery at its best
    :pac::pac:

astradave wrote: »
    How good was that bloody Scotland result!

Sets up a very interesting game against the English on St. Patrick's Day.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sets up a very interesting game against the English on St. Patrick's Day.

Depends, if we beat Scotland next week, England will have to get a BP result in France and if we get a BP against Sco, they will need one against us too.. looks a lot for them at the mo

Depends, if we beat Scotland next week, England will have to get a BP result in France and if we get a BP against Sco, they will need one against us too.. looks a lot for them at the mo

So let me get this, Ireland beat Scotland, England fall against France, and Ireland beat England on St. Patrick's Day, Ireland win the 6 Nations?

Should watch more rugby..

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So let me get this, Ireland beat Scotland, England fall against France, and Ireland beat England on St. Patrick's Day, Ireland win the 6 Nations?

Should watch more rugby..

If Ireland beat Scotland and England lose to France, Ireland will win the six nations, if they then beat England, they will win the Grand slam( beating every team) if Ireland beat Scotland and score 4 tries, England will need to win both matches with scoring 4 tries in each in the process and then it will go to Points difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

What way do we expect Chelsea to set up tomorrow? Same as what worked fairly well during the week or will they go with Morata/Giroud?

What way do we expect Chelsea to set up tomorrow? Same as what worked fairly well during the week or will they go with Morata/Giroud?

If Conte has any sense at all he will start Giroud, that fecker always seems to cause us hassle

I think he will start with a striker alright, the game against us is a lot more winnable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You’d be surprised what people have time for. I’ve seen some very mental sh*t go on offsite about users here.

This post got thanked a lot. Anyone care to PM me to put me in the picture?

So, never mind what happened with Liverpool today. They have been arguably the form team of the Top 2-6 as of late. We'd want to have been doing exceptional to maintain a decent cushion over them in the last 6 weeks.

It's the fact that a loss to Chelsea tomorrow lets Chelsea back into the mix with us that bothers me. Add in a Spurs win away to Palace, it would leave Spurs just a point behind us and Chelsea. That right there is a battle for Top 4 which we should not have let ourselves get dragged back into.

Some might take a draw tomorrow, but we could badly do with a win. Recent draws against Leicester, Burnley and Southampton and a loss to Newcastle means that we can't just settle for a draw in these big games now.

Jose will know exactly what's at stake tomorrow and won't want his team losing another PL game, or Chelsea/Conte getting yet another one over him. Especially not on home turf. It's the players who have to realise what's at stake and show some desire to win out on the field.

If some of them have other things at the front of their minds, like 'What's the point? The league is gone anyway' or 'I'm feeling a bit unwell, maybe I'll sit this one out coach', well then we're in a lot more trouble than I thought and there's nothing Jose or any manager can do to fix those sort of attitudes.

I think he will start with a striker alright, the game against us is a lot more winnable.

No doubt it’s more winnable. I was just thinking that frontline the other night would cause us a lot more bother than a big man up front.

• Advertisement

No doubt it’s more winnable. I was just thinking that frontline the other night would cause us a lot more bother than a big man up front.

Depends on the defenders, we struggle a lot under the high ball considering the height in the team. Moratas goal against us earlier in the year sticking out, completely free in the middle of the box. We just don't deal great with balls into the box.

I think we would smother the attacking movement well enough of a false 9. The physical teams gave is most problems this season I have it in my head anyway

Depends on the defenders, we struggle a lot under the high ball considering the height in the team. Moratas goal against us earlier in the year sticking out, completely free in the middle of the box. We just don't deal great with balls into the box.

I think we would smother the attacking movement well enough of a false 9. The physical teams gave is most problems this season I have it in my head anyway

In my head it’s pacy, tricky front men we struggle against :pac:
    Suppose we struggle against everyone lately :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Well it strikes me that there's now a group who seem to prioritize style of play over winning anything.....

Define style? Surely any winning team does it with style.

I enjoyed Real and Bayerns Champions League winning sides more than Barca or the other extreme Chelsea. Leicester won the premier league with something more enjoyable to watch for me than what City do. But they all played football the right way for them.

For me it is about function as a cohesive unit. Whole team understands roles, the team set up gets the best from the group, everyone works for the group and shared goals. The best team control where the game is played and set up moments for them to win. Sometimes the other team is so good they will still get their own moments but you at least give yourself a foot hold to get your own chances.

That is what lets this United team down right now. It seems to be too much of a seperation between defence and attack on big games. United don't control enough big games to create game winning moments.

In my head it’s pacy, tricky front men we struggle against :pac:
    Suppose we struggle against everyone lately :)

Eh, you may be right :D that we struggle against all of them at the minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

They were also chanting "one lying bastard" at him as well, so it's slightly more than just being an "ex Man U player", but I think you lot already know that ;)

Evra was the fella that made unsubstantiated (false) allegations against Chelsea ground staff during warm down after a game??But was a reliable when it suited the Fa .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evra was the fella that made unsubstantiated (false) allegations against Chelsea ground staff during warm down after a game??But was a reliable when it suited the Fa .

Yeah I remember the Liverpool fans being cut up about it at the time it happened.

I believe it was the eyewitness account from Dirk Kuyt that was seen as reliable.

Can't believe this hasn't been put to bed yet. He said racist things and got punished.

It’s like people erase the part where Suarez admitted to calling him negro from their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It’s like people erase the part where Suarez admitted to calling him negro from their minds.

That's what they call their buddies where he comes from and they pinch their skin when they doing it for the added affection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Stick McTominay on Hazard today if he can hold him off give the kid a 20 year contract, today is all about stopping them freely moving the ball about if we can neutralise that they will be frustrated enough for us to nick a couple of goals.

I'd stick Mata and Rashford on the bench and go with Lingard Alexis and Martial all behind Lukaku 4-5-1 formation for me today is best chance of blocking their midfield but go with quick style of play up front with the insurance of Mata and Rashford if things are still slow in the second half.

• It’s like people erase the part where Suarez admitted to calling him negro from their minds.

Interesting reading twitter this morning.

Even an ex player is backtracking as he fueled this. I cannot believe this type of ****e is still getting defended.

https://twitter.com/JARiiseOfficial/status/967408037727260672

https://twitter.com/JARiiseOfficial/status/967412727470632961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Interesting reading twitter this morning.

Even an ex player is backtracking. I cannot believe this type of ****e is still getting defended.

https://twitter.com/JARiiseOfficial/status/967412727470632961

It actually is ridiculous. It's almost as if they truly are ashamed to say he was a racist I think the more they deny it and support it the worse it is.

And to make it worse it's not even United fans that can't get over it it's their own fans a that target Evra again 6 years on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyway, back to United...

Very nervous for today. No clue what's going to happen, by do feel it's going to be a season definer. This and the Pool match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Very nervous for today. No clue what's going to happen, by do feel it's going to be a season definer. This and the Pool match.

Be interesting to see if Pogba is brought back into the starting line up.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

Most important game for Jose and this team for some time.
    I'd be worried if the performance level cannot be raised for a game such as this.
    He's got to get them motivated and he's got to get his tactics / team right.
    Its a must win game for moral as it is for position in the table.

limnam wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Pogba is brought back into the starting line up.

With Herrera and Fellaini injuried I’m sure he will be,

I would like to see a 352 today but it’s probably not going to happen, 433 with matic, Pogba and McTominay and then martial, Lukaku and Sanchez up top is what we will see I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Not very optimistic about today.. hopefully we get the win. I’ll be hiding behind a pint glass for the day wondering is there a hole in the end of the glass as I’ve to refil it so often

With Herrera and Fellaini injuried I’m sure he will be,

Ah, Forgot about Ander's knock

Ah, Forgot about Ander's knock

Knock? I didn’t see it but he posted a picture up on Instagram with him holding his Hammy saying he was disappointed he couldn’t help the team, so I thought he did that..

Knock? I didn’t see it but he posted a picture up on Instagram with him holding his Hammy saying he was disappointed he couldn’t help the team, so I thought he did that..

knock/injury/unavailability ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think we'll win or draw. I expect Jose to be very very cautious with his approach and tactics. If we are adventurous and more offensive than defensive today I would be very surprised.

Draw is probably the most likely result today. If we score first I think we'll win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think we win 2 nil today. Hopefully Smalling is dropped and Shaw in at LB, Pogba, Matic, Scott in midfield and Sanchez, Rom and Martial up top.

Dave mentioning 352 got me thinking during his first spell at Chelsea Jose sometimes used a 442 diamond formation and I think that is something that we could really flourish with. Shaw and Valencia providing the width from FB, Matic sitting deep with Pogba and Scott as proper box to box midfielders, Sanchez/Martial at the tip of the diamond in a free role and then any 2 of Rom/Ibra/Rashford/Sanchez/Martial up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pogba coming back hopefully but Matic and McTominay would have to be played behind him.

LeeJM wrote: »
    I think we win 2 nil today. Hopefully Smalling is dropped and Shaw in at LB, Pogba, Matic, Scott in midfield and Sanchez, Rom and Martial up top.

Dave mentioning 352 got me thinking during his first spell at Chelsea Jose sometimes used a 442 diamond formation and I think that is something that we could really flourish with. Shaw and Valencia providing the width from FB, Matic sitting deep with Pogba and Scott as proper box to box midfielders, Sanchez/Martial at the tip of the diamond in a free role and then any 2 of Rom/Ibra/Rashford/Sanchez/Martial up front.

Today is probably not the day to "test" a new formation.

edit: Sorry, Misread your post. You're not suggesting it for today

The other big question is will we be dawning a match thread :pac:

• Advertisement

Today is probably not the day to "test" a new formation.

edit: Sorry, Misread your post. You're not suggesting it for today

Oh yea I'm definitely not suggesting we try it out today. I do think a pacy front 2 with 3 at the back like Dave suggested could work today too. For all our faults at the moment I think Chelseas defence is particularly weak right now and we should cause them problems every time we attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

0-0 is 8/1 on Paddy Power.

Tempted.

Oh yea I'm definitely not suggesting we try it out today. I do think a pacy front 2 with 3 at the back like Dave suggested could work today too. For all our faults at the moment I think Chelseas defence is particularly weak right now and we should cause them problems every time we attack

We played pretty much 3-5 2 for most of the Arsenal game

Worked out well :)

I love the diamond formation, it’s practically a 433 anyways.. though I would have Mata at the tip and Sanchez and Lukaku up top, think they would complement each other.

They only problem is that it would rely on the FB to provide the width and against Hazard and Willian I can’t see them being able to venture forward much, it’s why I would like 352 today as gives an extra man at the back to allow for the wingbacks to push up

I love the diamond formation, it’s practically a 433 anyways.. though I would have Mata at the tip and Sanchez and Lukaku up top, think they would complement each other.

They only problem is that it would rely on the FB to provide the width and against Hazard and Willian I can’t see them being able to venture forward much, it’s why I would like 352 today as gives an extra man at the back to allow for the wingbacks to push up

Somehow I totally forgot about Mata! He would be perfect for the tip of the diamond. I was more suggesting it as a formation to look at for the future and not today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The other big question is will we be dawning a match thread :pac:

It literally took one response for "bus" to be mentioned :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fully expecting Smalling to shít the bed again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

DW4f5kmWsAAFAd5.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Will Scotty be asked to shadow Hazard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Bailey obviously not 100 percent ready for big game yet. Think Lindelof should be ok I'd say Smalling will be the weak link. I'd rather shaw then young to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement