Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lads, it's Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't get the whole, "go for it" thing.

What does it even mean? Try and win the game?
    I expect we do that everytime we play.

rs_245x138-140108144803-tumblr_mtt57jEIxv1s9g37ro1_250.gif?fit=inside|900:auto

• Doesn't look like it sometimes! Ha

Tactically? Im confident Jose knows what he's at.

I'm also confident about tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I don't know how you'd say it's 50/50 based on current form tbh.

Lingard is scoring for fun. Mata goes anonymous in games more often than not. I'd be getting Lingard down as one of the first names at the moment.

After we signed sanchez lingards position is the one thats most under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What's the latest on Eriksens availability?

I do not see José setting up with a back 4 and only matic to help them if we'll be facing a front 4 of Kane, Son, Deli and Eriksen.

And if that's the case only one of Martial, Mata and Lingard will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lol.

"Yeah but what about Sanchez"

Seems to be the new

"Yeah but what about Pogba" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bangkok wrote: »
    After we signed sanchez lingards position is the one thats most under threat.

Surely not? Rashford/Martial have gotta be the more expendable option. Jesse is a creative type midfielder. Now, if you signed Ozil ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm also confident about tomorrow night.

I'm somewhat confident myself especially with Sanchez now adding another element to our attack.

Problem is we have seen United sit back In a lot of big games. Try hit teams on the break worst case scenario we get a point.

I'd much rather we done what we once done best and went out there used players we had and advantage we had over our rivals and attack them.

We can attack teams and beat them without leaving gaps at the back surely.

• I'm somewhat confident myself especially with Sanchez now adding another element to our attack.

Problem is we have seen United sit back In a lot of big games. Try hit teams on the break worst case scenario we get a point.

I'd much rather we done what we once done best and went out there used players we had and advantage we had over our rivals and attack them.

We can attack teams and beat them without leaving gaps at the back surely.

There's been alot of big games this season!
    You can't play wild in every game and Jose knows this.
    That's why I'm confident Utd will finish above Chelsea and Liverpool this season.

And we will build on this and seriously challange for the title next season.

We have already beaten Spurs with our best players missing and without Sanchez.

I'm staying confident of the result.

• Anyone watch Mikis performance for Arsenal tonight?
    He was subbed off after 45 mins apparently.

Was it performance related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

There's been alot of big games this season!
    You can't play wild in every game and Jose knows this.
    That's why I'm confident Utd will finish above Chelsea and Liverpool this season.

And we will build on this and seriously challange for the title next season.

We have already beaten Spurs with our best players missing and without Sanchez.

I'm staying confident of the result.

Hopefully it's a good game and we win one way or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Sure he’s been parking the bus for donkeys years now, he’s a master at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Anyone watch Mikis performance for Arsenal tonight?

Came off the bench and played 30 minutes

Anyone watch Mikis performance for Arsenal tonight?

He came on with ~30 minutes to play, missed a sitter but was offside anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/958483509189935106

"Breaking | Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic signed an agreement with LA Galaxy three weeks ago, according to tomorrow's L'Équipe http://bit.ly/JanDDay2018"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-jose-mourinho-labels-11941379

“Marcus’ story is quite interesting because he started playing with Mr Van Gaal, when the team was really in trouble, to have options,” said Mourinho.

“Then ‘The monster that kills the little kids’ arrived, but he plays every game since then. He plays every game, starting or coming from the bench, as a striker, as a left winger, as a right winger. Then he goes to the national team.

“The kid is having a hell of an experience at every level, so an amazing future waits for him and being surrounded by these players can only help him. But the whole story of Marcus — will he get minutes and matches? — that story is really old, because he’s a very important player for us.”

With Sanchez joining Rashford, Romelu Lukaku, Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard, Mourinho said United now boast one of the most formidable attacks in the game.

“In attack, it’s difficult for us to improve,” he said. “Where are we going to get a better combination of players than we have? We cannot buy Lionel Messi, we cannot buy Cristiano Ronaldo – these are the best players of the last decade.

“Where can we get better players than Mata, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Alexis, Lukaku? In attack, we have an amazing group of players.”

Mourinho said Sanchez, who will make his Premier League debut for United on Wednesday away to old foes Tottenham, will not be fazed by the abuse he will receive as a former Arsenal player.

“He doesn’t care,” said the United boss.

"The monster that kills the kids". Lol. A nice dig at those who laud "nurturing players" by other managers that get the cash out quicker than a virgin in a strip club when one of their team breaks a nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

adox wrote: »
    I never bought the whole City thought it was too much money for Sanchez, wages etc.

I mean if you wanted to make something ridiculous up to excuse them not getting him then that would top the lot.

I hope whoever is in charge of their PR department or whoever was responsible saw the utter ludicrousness of it and had a little smile to themselves. If they were thinking they would be taken seriously then they are even more deluded.

I mean I laughed when I read the stories. Up their with the most vulgar of the “money” clubs and they try and peddle that line? **** off!!!

It's obvious it's a PR stunt, shame how so many lapped it up and laughable some Chelsea fans use it in arguments.

Chelsea and City fans taking moral high ground :eek:

theballz wrote: »
    Sure he’s been parking the bus for donkeys years now, he’s a master at this stage.

One more clueless guy.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Surely not? Rashford/Martial have gotta be the more expendable option. Jesse is a creative type midfielder. Now, if you signed Ozil ...

Martial is ManUtd's best attacker this season and also he scored in all the 3 league games he played in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Strangely looking forward to the game tonight I don't expect us to do anything new against a top six side but I expect it to be more effective with Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Strangely looking forward to the game tonight I don't expect us to do anything new against a top six side but I expect it to be more effective with Sanchez.

Another boring night ahead so if we dont do anything new against a top six side

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »

Same boat.

I think Jose will want to remain solid at the back, but last time against Spurs, we did pin them back in their own half and dominated them in the second half, adding Pogba and Sanchez to the mix, I feel we should be well beating them.

Chance to get 11 clear of fifth tonight is too good to miss (though I'd say Jose will as happily keep that at 8 rather than let it drift to five....)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I watched the last 20 minutes of the Arsenal game last night. Two Mkhi moments stood out. A free header he was offside for and still couldn't bury. And at 90 minutes when he's running at the goals and just passes it straight to a Swansea guy.

For his sake, I hope he has a better time there than he did with us. Yet, at the same time, I'd love if he just kept right on going with his dreadful form to shut up the "Jose wasn't using him right" narrative....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I watched the last 20 minutes of the Arsenal game last night. Two Mkhi moments stood out. A free header he was offside for and still couldn't bury. And at 90 minutes when he's running at the goals and just passes it straight to a Swansea guy.

For his sake, I hope he has a better time there than he did with us. Yet, at the same time, I'd love if he just kept right on going with his dreadful form to shut up the "Jose wasn't using him right" narrative....

Poor Arsenal fans thought they can laugh at Sanchez giving away possession, Mkhitaryan is even worse always trying to nut meg or playing very risky passes which always end up overhitting them.

Di Marzio's crew reported Roma have moved on to next target as they couldn't reach agreement with Manutd.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Di Marzio's crew reported Roma have moved on to next target as they couldn't reach agreement with Manutd.

Jose said no apparently.. probably wants to keep as many players as he can now, especially defensively with Axel gone on Loan.. still a lot of games to go.. only way he was letting someone go is if he had a replacement

I think since it’s Transfer deadline day we should put in a 200m bid for Kane and another 50m bid for Eriksen :D

Did you find the game against Spurs at home boring or did you think it was a well earned 3 points? Was the game at Emirates boring?

I don't expect Jose to all of a sudden dramatically change his approach to these games as there's little to no evidence to suggest him doing so.

Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a boring game though.

Get the complaints in nice and early I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    I think since it’s Transfer deadline day we should put in a 200m bit coin bid for Kane and another 50m pesos bid for Eriksen :D

And don't forget the add ons like wages, taxes, depreciation, medical, driver, hair stylist, photographer, video editor, grand piano... pushing the deal above 9 gajillion some thing something something else....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We will beat Spurs tonight.

Over the coming months.

Zidane will get fired by Madrid.

Poncherello will take the Madrid job.

Kane will go to Madrid.

Spurs will drift back into the mediocrity they are so accustomed to.

The big 6 will revert back to a big 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

We will beat Spurs tonight.

Over the coming months.

Zidane will get fired by Madrid.

Poncherello will take the Madrid job.

Kane will go to Madrid.

Spurs will drift back into the mediocrity they are so accustomed to.

The big 6 will revert back to a big 5.

Conte will be fired in the summer

Chelsea will get a new manager and he'll be promised full control of everything... for a day

Citeh will spend 475.6m and whinge about united/madrid/barca spending 70+m on one single player!!!

Jose will get his targets in and United will be happy

Arsene will be gone and Arsenal continue to slide... now big 4...

Klopp will still be a busted flush and liverpool won't address the glaring squad deficiences...

Its a big 3 all of a sudden...

FYP

Jose said no apparently.. probably wants to keep as many players as he can now, especially defensively with Axel gone on Loan.. still a lot of games to go.. only way he was letting someone go is if he had a replacement

We can definitely afford to cut some defenders without needing replacements. I really like Blind but honestly he is around 6th choice CB (behind Smalling, Jones, Lindelöf, Rojo, Bailly) and 4th choice LB (behind Young, Shaw & Darmian, heck he might even be 5th choice if you count Rojo as LB cover)

pjohnson wrote: »
    We can definitely afford to cut some defenders without needing replacements. I really like Blind but honestly he is around 6th choice CB (behind Smalling, Jones, Lindelöf, Rojo, Bailly) and 4th choice LB (behind Young, Shaw & Darmian, heck he might even be 5th choice if you count Rojo as LB cover)

He can cover DM as well though if worst comes

Actually forgot he could play there so that actually makes sense then. We only really have Matic as I'm not sure unfortunately how much we can rely on Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And that would be worst coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What would be the point though?

Are United strapped for cash and need to free up the wages? Do we need the transfer revenue to pay some bills we couldn't otherwise meet?

Why sell a player now, if we don't need the money, if we can't replace them - still a long way to go in the season and 3 competitions to compete in. We don't know what players we are going to need, or when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Always thought players like Blind who can cover multiple positions were great to have in a squad over a season. Reminds me of Philly Neville or John O’Shea who were handy to cover for first team injuries. Also, O’Shea v Liverpool and Philly v Reyes were particular highlights of their united careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Drumpot wrote: »
    Always thought players like Blind were great to have in a squad over a season. Reminds me of Philly Neville or John O’Shea who were handy to cover for first team injuries. Also, O’Shea v Liverpool and Philly v Reyes were particular highlights of their united careers.

Absolutely, having utility players is vital, if the likes of Blind or Darmian are content being bit part players then it would be mental to sell them unless a completely ludicrous bid came in.

What would be the point though?

Are United strapped for cash and need to free up the wages? Do we need the transfer revenue to pay some bills we couldn't otherwise meet?

Why sell a player now, if we don't need the money, if we can't replace them - still a long way to go in the season and 3 competitions to compete in. We don't know what players we are going to need, or when.

Meh when senior players become 4th+ choice in a position I dont see the point of stockpiling them. Let a youngster step up onto the bench if needs be. Hordeing players incase of unprecedented disaster has never particularly interested me. We dont NEED to sell him but I dont see the point keeping him. The spattering of minutes Blind will get until season end could be allocated to one of the under 23's, ie. Joe Riley (he appears to have gone LB since Mitchell joined Heartd???)/RoShaun Williams.

• Advertisement

Always thought players like Blind who can cover multiple positions were great to have in a squad over a season. Reminds me of Philly Neville or John O’Shea who were handy to cover for first team injuries. Also, O’Shea v Liverpool and Philly v Reyes were particular highlights of their united careers.

Get out. Long live Sheasy's chip against the gunners
    02n_oshea_wideweb__430x247.jpg

02n_oshea_wideweb__430x247.jpg

tumblr_lmltkwlo8J1qa756q.gif

tumblr_lmltkwlo8J1qa756q.gif

I forgot Gifs were a thing haha

Sheasy goal with moving picture complete with a "wtf did I just do" celebration

original?width=500&version=1725527

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nah, last minute winner against Liverpool in front of the Kop can't be beaten. Even GNev said O'Shea had lived out his dream.

Nah, last minute winner against Liverpool in front of the Kop can't be beaten. Even GNev said O'Shea had lived out his dream.

We’ve got Wes brown,
    We’ve got John o’Shea
    Manchester is dreaming
    Of silverware come may!

DetailedFluidEyas-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Always thought players like Blind who can cover multiple positions were great to have in a squad over a season. Reminds me of Philly Neville or John O’Shea who were handy to cover for first team injuries.
    Absolutely, having utility players is vital, if the likes of Blind or Darmian are content being bit part players then it would be mental to sell them unless a completely ludicrous bid came in.

The difference is that the likes of O Shea and Neville consistently played in 25/30 league games a season, they were utility players but importantly they were also utilized. They got gametime and so were up to speed and able to fill that utility role effectively.

In contrast, Blind this season has less than 300 PL minutes, Darmian less than 200. They are versatile players but they are not being picked, and the odd game they do get a start they are understandably way off the pace.

If there is no need to sell then we may as well keep them for emergencies, but the longer this situation goes on the less useful they are actually going to be when called upon, to the point that maybe the club should just cut its losses.

John O'Shea never conceded a goal

315B69E9E9A7491E94C710CB603781F1.ashx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't cut anyone now but expect Blind and Darmian to be close to the exit come summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wouldn't cut anyone now but expect Blind and Darmian to be close to the exit come summer time.

I would keep Blind and get rid of Smalling

• Advertisement

So the reason we refused Roma was that they were only looking for a Loan move.. feck that ****.. Italian teams are bums ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement