Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Love this from Jose :) What a massive win!!

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/967797326298451969

Fair balls, that’s a proper **** you to the media who will try make it out that Chelsea are useless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

astradave wrote: »
    Fair balls, that’s a proper **** you to the media who will try make it out that Chelsea are useless
    They were in the 2nd half to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

But today he couldn't hide his administration for Lukaku. He really praised him, I honestly thought he was possessed as it is alien for him to talk like that.

To be fair he is an admirer of Lukaku and has praised him regularly.

They were in the 2nd half to be fair.

I think he means in the broad sense though, as in they were able to be Champions last year and they played brilliant against Barca. So they aren’t a useless team.. they are a pretty good one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That piece of play at the death from Lukaku is what we need from him. Good control on the ball coming to him, good strength to hold the player off as he turned, strong burst of pace to take it through the space and really stretch the Chelsea side.

Releaved pressure, and was close to creating a real chance from nothing.

Quality bit of leas striker play. Annoys me he doesn't make better use of his pace and strength more consistently. He should be absolutely bullying defenders ever week

I don’t know wether it’s the Meds or what but I’m absolutely Buzzin after that win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Special shout out for mctominey

As I said

3 in midfield and use what we have

I thought he was excellent

Remember this lad is only 21

He kept hazard quite too

Don’t want to rain on your parade but he was the cause of the first goal so excellent is a bit much for me. He is a decent player who is holding his own but he is far from excellent for me.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Don’t want to rain on your parade but he was the cause of the first goal so excellent is a bit much for me. He is a decent player who is holding his own but he is far from excellent for me.

Lindlelof was to blame not mctominey IMO

Seen the note, missed William’s weird run to try catch a glimpse :D

https://twitter.com/beardedgenius/status/967796289185382400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Very very satisfying, particularly after going behind, the comments and the feeling of this squad Not having what it takes to get back into it, very satisfying . Huge win for the club.

Not aimed as a dig at anybody here by the way .

Assume the Liverpool thread is going bananas the same way this thread was yesterday when they blew their load early

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Lindlelof was to blame not mctominey IMO

Even if I agree I still think an excellent midfield performance would mean seeing Lindelofs mistake and staying with the player you are tracking and preventing the shot on goal.

I’m only disagreeing with the excellent bit, he is a good prospect for the future even though I’m not too sure what he does great yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Jose comments about Chelsea were not a dig at their players it was to mote to say we beat a decent Chelsea team because we earned more so then we beat them because Chelsea are crap.

Tactics and performance in second half were spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf the fact he possibly made that goal-costing mistake early on and STILL performed so well after is more credit to McTominay. Far more experienced players than him have struggled to impose themselves on a game if they make a costly mistake early!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

That piece of play at the death from Lukaku is what we need from him. Good control on the ball coming to him, good strength to hold the player off as he turned, strong burst of pace to take it through the space and really stretch the Chelsea side.

Releaved pressure, and was close to creating a real chance from nothing.

Quality bit of leas striker play. Annoys me he doesn't make better use of his pace and strength more consistently. He should be absolutely bullying defenders ever week

Whilst his overall play today was good that bit of play reminded me of Drogba. Selfless and willing to run all day for Jose.

Fúcking deadly, very important 3 points in the bag.

Lukaku was all over the place today, and in the best way possible. On the ball, off the ball, a nicely composed finish in a well-worked team goal, sublime assist for the winner (if only Rom could cross it to himself), bicycle kick, excellent hold-up play which sparked some of our attacks. What is the opposite of anonymous? Whatever it is in a match context, that's what he was today.

Disappointing shift from Martial even though the assist was important. Only a marginally better performance from Sanchez, though I'm not worried about him. A couple of poor performances today, but overall it was one of the better, more cohesive team performances I've seen lately.

3 in midfield - The team were very poor against Sevilla, but weren't actually getting bypassed in CM for a change. A lot of Sevilla's attacks were coming from out wide, rather than Sevilla just running with the ball directly from their box to the fringes of ours. The team were dire in that match, players forgetting the fundamentals, but the CM wasn't a void. Great to see some progression on that today, especially in the second half. I did say previously that if/when Jose implemented a midfield 3, the results would not be instant and it would take some patience and a few games to see the benefits.

Well done to McTom. He was poor for Chelsea's goal (just inexperience IMO) and chose to lose Hazard very easily for another Chelsea attack (which thankfully fizzled out) but for the spotlight which the player has been thrown into this season, he's doing well. Matic has to be quite tired at this point of the season, but he didn't show it out there today. Only for Rom deserving it more, Matic would be my pick for MOTM.

Finally, Jesse Lingard, he doesn't really like scoring unimportant goals, does he? He went off the boil in those few games after his recent goal rush, but is arguably in our Top 5 players this season. Never mind the goals, the type of player he is, we need that. Where Martial will attempt to slow up and enter a game of psychological chess against a defender or two in order to beat them, Jesse just gets the ball and drives on with it without doing that Martial/Valencia stall. For good or for bad. We need both types of attackers, but Jesse's directness and drive can be a breath of fresh air.

Definitely feel a bit better now. A draw would have been no use in terms of keeping us out of a Top 4 battle. At least now there is that breathing room once again. Hopefully the deserved win will also bring a bit of confidence back into the team, it's been in short supply since the humbling Spurs defeat. Just don't fúck it up and throw that good work into the woodchipper against Palace next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember saying last week that when we go goal behind we rarely look like getting the win. A nice change. Happy enough overall.

Any time you beat that lot it's a good day.

Big shout out to poster Mr Pepper if reading this. Have a nice evening

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf the fact he possibly made that goal-costing mistake early on and STILL performed so well after is more credit to McTominay. Far more experienced players than him have struggled to impose themselves on a game if they make a costly mistake early!

Ah here. Did I miss something in this match, did McTominay put in a Keane in Turin performance or something?!

I’m as harsh about over praising players as I am over criticising them.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think Jose comments about Chelsea were not a dig at their players it was to mote to say we beat a decent Chelsea team because we earned more so then we beat them because Chelsea are crap.

Tactics and performance in second half were spot on.

I’ve already stated that, Zerks

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ah here. Did I miss something in this match, did McTominay put in a Keane in Turin performance or something?!

I’m as harsh about over praising players as I am over criticising them.

It was the 16th game of his senior career so I doubt its over praise tbf? Hazard and Willian have made idiots out of far more experienced players than McTominay. He played well beyond his years.

I’ve already stated that, Zerks

You can't zerks an opinion you can only zerks breaking news...... loser ;)

Gonna be a quiet week in this thread is say think I might actually cut the grass.

It was the 16th game of his senior career so I doubt its over praise tbf? Hazard and Willian have made idiots out of far more experienced players than McTominay. He played well beyond his years.

I don't think he was excellent or fantastic he was just solid it's something we need in midfield.

He doesn't pannick and generally his passing is nice and simple it's all we need from him.

He must be so happy Andreas decided to go to Spain.

I’m not putting him down at all for what he is doing but praising someone for getting on with his job after making a mistake that lead to a goal is stretching the norms of praise imo. There’s literally nothing else he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thoroughly enjoyable.

We completely controlled the second half and on the balance of the overall game we deserved the win.

What impressed me most was that when we conceded we didn't lose the heads, we didn't drop the heads, just kept plugging away and got what we deserved. Second half we looked a different team.

Matic, Rom and McT were excellent imo.

Massive step towards securing top 4. A win at Palace and a point against the other lot should be enough.

Today has been a fine day.

Matic best game in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Oh Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

OT but Neville absolutely sowing it into Arsenal on co commentary.

To be fair they have been utterly useless.

Infairness to mkhitaryan he is the only arsenal player that didn't look ****e today :) they are so bad.

• Advertisement

Infairness to mkhitaryan he is the only arsenal player that didn't look ****e today :) they are so bad.

Didn't even know he was playing to be honest!

adox wrote: »
    OT but Neville absolutely sowing it into Arsenal on co commentary.

To be fair they have been utterly useless.

It's true tho they strollig around midfield in a cup final they were only 2 nill down in it is so reminiscent of United's midfield at times this season and games where pogba doesn't try.

He isnt thats why he hasnt looked sh1te

*thats the joke gif*

Dizzy Welbz on to save the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's true tho they strollig around midfield in a cup final they were only 2 nill down in it is so reminiscent of United's midfield at times this season and games where pogba doesn't try.

Maybe they are saving themselves for Thursday to try and consolidate their 6th place.

• Advertisement

I’m not putting him down at all for what he is doing but praising someone for getting on with his job after making a mistake that lead to a goal is stretching the norms of praise imo. There’s literally nothing else he can do.

Well I seem to remember Lindelöf followed up a mistake against Huddersfield that cost us a goal with another mistake against Huddersfield that cost us another goal. So he could have done that.

Lindelöf had one shocking moment towards the end here aswell.

I thought it was admirable. I'll retract my praise.

*thats the joke gif*

You can tell how much the game has gripped me!

No matter how bad things are we are not Arsenal.

From being a team I used to nearly **** my pance playing, to that.

A Genuine case of how the mighty have fallen..

Sorry OT

Well I seem to remember Lindelöf followed up a mistake against Huddersfield that cost us a goal with another mistake against Huddersfield that cost us another goal. So he could have done that.

Lindelöf had one shocking moment towards the end here aswell.

So the second mistake was not a mistake then? It was a result of Lindelof feeling sorry for himself and questioning his life choices right there on the pitch? :)

Lindelof is a defender and the consequences of a bad decision can lead to a goal far more often than a midfielders mistake so it’s a bad comparison.

No matter how bad things are we are not Arsenal.

From being a team I used to nearly **** my pance playing, to that.

A Genuine case of how the mighty have fallen..

Sorry OT

I miss them days they were my favourite times of been a United fan playing arsenal they were such passionate affairs loved them even Liverpool games were never that big over past 30 years.

• Advertisement

So the second mistake was not a mistake then? It was a result of Lindelof feeling sorry for himself and questioning his life choices right there on the pitch? :)

Lindelof is a defender and the consequences of a bad decision can lead to a goal far more often than a midfielders mistake so it’s a bad comparison.

I said its grand. I retract my praise for him. Not arsed arguing. Delete me posts later praising him.

Now for drinkies before I freeze to death!

Even if I agree I still think an excellent midfield performance would mean seeing Lindelofs mistake and staying with the player you are tracking and preventing the shot on goal.

I’m only disagreeing with the excellent bit, he is a good prospect for the future even though I’m not too sure what he does great yet.

You would swear he played for the whole season. That was only his third start in a row

He stepped into this Utd squad with moral at an considerable low in a massive game against Chelsea.

He's only 21 and to play like that in CM, he was excellent today.

You would swear he played for the whole season. That was only his third start in a row

He stepped into this Utd squad with moral at an considerable low in a massive game against Chelsea.

He's only 21 and to play like that in CM, he was excellent today.

And if you factor in the inability to track Willian for the goal it brings his performance back to reality as a good performance with a lesson hopefully learned.

And if you factor in the inability to track Willian for the goal it brings his performance back to reality as a good performance with a lesson hopefully learned.

Nope, Lindelof was the main fault for conceding for getting sucked out of position

I believe you are simply nitpicking because you may have had previous doubts about McTominey working in a midfield three

But anyway, opinions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nope, Lindelof was the main fault for conceding for getting sucked out of position

I believe you are simply nitpicking because you may have had previous doubts about McTominey working in a midfield three

But anyway, opinions!

Lindelof was in the half way line with Hazard running onto the ball out wide, he is coverig Young who Hazard has already run past. Of course he had to go towards him.

McTominay is goal side of Willian and could have covered for his centre back as Matic would in that position. But he leaves to go back and mark hazard. Young also faila to spot the danger while covering and lets Willian in.

Anyway, I think it is just an experience thing for McTominay, broken up play is where mistakes happen.

But anyway, opinions!

Ha ha. I don’t think I’ve even typed the word McTominay before today so that’s some next level “putting words in my mouth” you are doing there.

I think you heard the English national team wanted him and you instantly wanted to over exaggerate his ability so you can tear him down the second he makes a mistake just like the English media do with all young talent.

Actually it is fun to put words in others mouths.

• I don't agree but my buzz is too high to care anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Unfortunately the goal was all about McT IMO. He should never have let will go.

But what was great was he shook it off and cracked on and apart from that mistake he was phenomenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was delighted with the win, we needed that just to get some confidence back.

Thought the players did a great job.

6 points clear of 4th which is great and possibly 9 with City v Chelsea next weekend

Ha ha. I don’t think I’ve even typed the word McTominay before today so that’s some next level “putting words in my mouth” you are doing there.

I think you heard the English national team wanted him and you instantly wanted to over exaggerate his ability so you can tear him down the second he makes a mistake just like the English media do with all young talent.

Actually it is fun to put words in others mouths.

Has McTominay not said he wants to play for Scotland but wants to focus on United first? Dont get the conspiracy theory but yeah not gunna ruin thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement