Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Match of the day in five minutes. Sit back and enjoy.

• astradave wrote: »
    Is that a pisstake :pac:

Yes, yes it is :D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is :D

The fact I had to ask, tells the real story :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Be great if we could clone Lukaku to cross it in to original Lukaku.

I actually think the Morata offside was the right call, You can definitely see his shoulder is offside and you can score with your shoulder :D

• Be great if we could clone Lukaku to cross it in to original Lukaku.

Most certainly. Martial was beyond infuriating with his delivery

As is Valencia

And we really need to get somebody in training to learn how to take corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

After 2 horrendous corners I thought we put 2 of our best corners in a while in today. Pogba seemed to get pretty close to a dangerous out swinger that I believe Young took. The one that took forever for him to run across the field to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Good performances from most players today, in the second half a couple reached excellent level :)

Signs that Sanchez is starting to get with the rest of the team now even though be was no great shakes today . No doubt it will come for him, great effort throughout even when things don't go his way.

Delighted for big Rom, might even get till tomorrow before we have another row on here?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Good performances from most players today, in the second half a couple reached excellent level :)

Now you’re just trying to annoy me! :)

I’m just happy we won today. Feels like so long since we won a league game that actually meant something. To put Chelsea possibly 9 points behind us would be incredible. They may go out of Europe soon which means total focus on the league so we need to have them at arms length. I’d be very happy to see Chelsea finish 5th this year. Have never liked them.

• Advertisement

Also, can someone remind me next time there is someone in to say for Jose it's all about him that he didn't ham it up at the end if the game and take the applause he instead pointed at his players directing the fans to give their cheers to them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Also, can someone remind me next time there is someone in to say for Jose it's all about him that he didn't ham it up at the end if the game and take the applause he instead pointed at his players directing the fans to give their cheers to them.

He was only doing that so people would say how thoughtful he is!! You fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Bit late to the party but very happy with that game. Needed to show something on attack after the previous matches we've played, plus it was a huge game in deciding the top 4.

Haven't checked boards yet but seeing Pogba getting a lot of stick online about the goal we conceded, from when Chelsea won the ball near their box. I actually thought Pogba played very well, and De Gea could have done better with the shot. Was nice to see Pogba actually running with the ball as lately it seems to be one touch pass, he's a brilliant ball carrier and need to use it more.

Lindelof and Smalling barring one or two blips impressed me. I had my concerns when I say they were starting. Lukaku brilliant game, easily said. Thought McTominay was outstanding too. And of course Jesse to the rescue once again. Ironically it was probably DeGea who had the shakiest game yesterday.

Need to push on now next against Palace and see what way the other results go. Could build up to a fiery affair against Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Next weekend’s fixtures must be in serious doubt with the weather forecast?

Next weekend’s fixtures must be in serious doubt with the weather forecast?

Too early to predict, the pitch itself be fine it just depends on conditions around the stadium, travel etc

• Morning..

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Honestly I don't think the performance was great Chelsea by far the best team in the first half and in the second half they just totally coasted and it cost them ,
    Matric was my man of the match bar Lakaku ,De Gea had his worse game in a long time but he's aloud a pass, Pogba bang average,
    McTominay done very well in midfield put he did let Willian go for there goal
    Iv no idea why Conte dropped Luiz and Cahill they are far worse at the back this season,Morata was awful didn't take part in the game at all, another player who was awful but wasn't punished was Alanso never seen him play worse,
    I think what I took most from the day was it shows why City are so far ahead of the rest .
    The football was again dire but good result,

Honestly I don't think the performance was great Chelsea by far the best team in the first half and in the second half they just totally coasted and it cost them ,
    Matric was my man of the match bar Lakaku ,De Gea had his worse game in a long time but he's aloud a pass, Pogba bang average,
    Iv no idea why Conte dropped Luiz and Cahill they are far worse at the back this season,Morata was awful didn't take part in the game at all, another player who was awful but wasn't punished was Alanso never seen him play worse,
    I think what I took most from the day was it shows why City are so far ahead of the rest .

Sickened :pac:

Sickened :pac:
    No just realistic,
    I thought McTominay done well but for a no bias view

McTominay while Hazard was on the pitch
    0 tackles
    0 interceptions
    0 blocked shots
    0 clearances
    0 key passes

Hazard,
    4 key passes
    4 successful dribbles
    3 chances created
    1 assist
    He did play well but lets not go over board ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No just realistic,

0 tackles
    0 interceptions
    0 blocked shots
    0 clearances
    0 key passes

Hazard,
    4 key passes
    4 successful dribbles
    3 chances created
    1 assist

you said pogba was bang average as well, have you got his stats there handy by any chance?

bangkok wrote: »
    No just realistic,

0 tackles
    0 interceptions
    0 blocked shots
    0 clearances
    0 key passes

Hazard,
    4 key passes
    4 successful dribbles
    3 chances created
    1 assist

you said pogba was bang average as well, have you got his stats there handy by any chance?
    No I'm afraid not, I didn't think Pogba was great yesterday an improvement but nothing amazing, I'd like to se his stats , 
    Now take into account I still think McTominay played well yesterday stat do not show the whole game I just don't think it right to say he had Hazard in is pocket as some fans have being saying,
    To be fair I don't even think he was set that job, he just happened to be on the same side as Hazard, it didn't look like he was man marking him like Herrera last year,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jose even said it was Mc's job and it went so far that Sanchez was asked to cover Mc's position when he had to follow Hazard.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Jose even said it was Mc's job and it went so far that Sanchez was asked to cover Mc's position when he had to follow Hazard.
    Really didn't hear that, I thought he played well even if his stats don't point at him nullifying Hazard,
    I guess that shows how good Hazard is but again Mc played very well ,

No I'm afraid not, I didn't think Pogba was great yesterday an improvement but nothing amazing, I'd like to se his stats , 
    Now take into account I still think McTominay played well yesterday stat do not show the whole game I just don't think it right to say he had Hazard in is pocket as some fans have being saying,
    To be fair I don't even think he was set that job, he just happened to be on the same side as Hazard, it didn't look like he was man marking him like Herrera last year,

nothing ever "just happens" on the football field, that would have been planned out and i think even jose said that was the plan and sanchez would drop into the space left behind

nothing ever "just happens" on the football field, that would have been planned out and i think even jose said that was the plan and sanchez would drop into the space left behind
    That's fair enough and as I said he played well but he certainly didn't have Hazard in his pocket as people have said,
    Just on Pogba what is the general expectation from him,
    It seems he is a player that fans have a lot of different perception's of what they expect him to bring to the team when he is on form, With Alexis we all know what he can do and what he is expected to do but with Pogba that seems to change from fan to fan if you get what im saying,
    I think its why when rating a performance people get have different opinions on him

• Advertisement

That's fair enough and as I said he played well but he certainly didn't have Hazard in his pocket as people have said,
    Just on Pogba what is the general expectation from him,
    It seems he is a player that fans have a lot of different perception's of what they expect him to bring to the team when he is on form, With Alexis we all know what he can do and what he is expected to do but with Pogba that seems to change from fan to fan if you get what im saying,
    I think its why when rating a performance people get have different opinions on him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I thought McTominay was great, not going to get wrapped up into how many shots he blocked etc.

Thought he applied good pressure to Hazard for the game. Didn't given him much time or space on the ball for the most part and thought that helped us a lot. Also he was calm on the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Will do the Monday morning "read back" on the pages and pages no doubt of stuff.
    • Thought yesterday was a very important and good result, but it definitely papered over the cracks. The attack was absolutely dribble, again.
    • Thought Pogba did well in the 4-3-3 and was very neat and tidy and drove the team forward plenty.
    • McTominay is impressing me with each passing game. Tough, composed, neat and tidy and while obviously playng within himself a bit to not make mistakes, glimpses of additional stuff he can do.
    • Lukaku was poor first half but just went full beast mode second half. Hoping that performance does him the world of good confidence wise. He was brilliant second half.
    • Sanchez was terrible. He is causing more problems than he is fixing. His ill discipline in terms of his position is shocking. Manager cant let that continue, we had no out ball or any passages of play on the right side with his selfish play and drifting.
    • Ashley Young is utterly pointless in the team. As usual. Little upswing in form, somehow wins tons of credit with the manager, concerning in defence and being useless going forward. Luke Shaw should be in there.
    • Glad to see Lindelof play a game of this stature, wether it was on purpose of forced by injuries. Thought he did well. Needs to be a bit more aggressive around the box, needs to learn a bit better when to intercept and when to step off, but thought he was pretty assured.
    • Was nice for the team to save De Gea for once as opposed the other way round. He was poor yesterday.
    • Matic put in a real leaders performance yesterday. Looked genuinely affronted conceding, and took matters into his own hands. He was brilliant. Team needs to be more like that when we conceded, get genuinely angry and insulted over it. Lindelof looks another that takes personal offence to conceeding. Too often the team just doesnt react emotionally to conceding. I think that was good to see yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was again infuriating how poor United are in possession. Even in the second half, an improvement over the shocking first half, we were so poor.

The amount of times we were forced to play sideways and backwards because of players not showing for the ball is so annoying to see. Matic and the defenders were often forced into direct passes into the channels because there just weren't options for them.

Players not rotating into space is just so annoying.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Bangkok's a Soviet spy?
    Of course I would, my posting style is pretty consistent. There are always posters you gel with more than others and some you know are purely in a wind up a lot of the time.

I take nothing on this board personally, or overly seriously. That why I laugh at a lot of the stuff. I have nothing against you as a poster or Bangkok for that matter but obviously when someone continually spouts what I consider rubbish I am going to respond at some point.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Because some people can be shown to have an extreme opinion but can see things from both sides micks jaguar posted that about lukaku the other night and I think it was largely ignored because people were just fed up debating it.

I don't put Bangkok in same bracket as you he has some extreme opinions but can back up them opinions at times too and can side with other people at other times too. I have actually messaged Bangkok at one stage to make sure he knows I have nothing personal against him.

But other posters on the extreme even when things are going well come in with the most negative spin on things and don't back it up.
    I'm on the mobile so I can't get in to too much detail here sorry, I wasn't referring to your post as rubbish. I was speaking about bangkoks posts. The part relevant to you is about holding two different players to different stabdards ala me with Keane. Sorry if that was unclear
    brinty wrote: »
    Love everyone
    Even Bangkok.....
    He's a good son some times

Think some lady gifs are in order..
    brinty wrote: »
    Rachel is a red

What about the lukaku kid..
    Doesn't do it v top six my eye
    Take a bow kid,way to shut the doubters up ... even Bangkok can't be unhappy after that
    user2011 wrote: »
    No need to be hopping on your Bangkok deaddonkey responses.

all in the past 24 hours.... no wonder my ears were burning!!!

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Will do the Monday morning "read back" on the pages and pages no doubt of stuff.
    • Thought yesterday was a very important and good result, but it definitely papered over the cracks. The attack was absolutely dribble, again.
    • Thought Pogba did well in the 4-3-3 and was very neat and tidy and drove the team forward plenty.
    • McTominay is impressing me with each passing game. Tough, composed, neat and tidy and while obviously playng within himself a bit to not make mistakes, glimpses of additional stuff he can do.
    • Lukaku was poor first half but just went full beast mode second half. Hoping that performance does him the world of good confidence wise. He was brilliant second half.
    • Sanchez was terrible. He is causing more problems than he is fixing. His ill discipline in terms of his position is shocking. Manager cant let that continue, we had no out ball or any passages of play on the right side with his selfish play and drifting.
    • Ashley Young is utterly pointless in the team. As usual. Little upswing in form, somehow wins tons of credit with the manager, concerning in defence and being useless going forward. Luke Shaw should be in there.
    • Glad to see Lindelof play a game of this stature, wether it was on purpose of forced by injuries. Thought he did well. Needs to be a bit more aggressive around the box, needs to learn a bit better when to intercept and when to step off, but thought he was pretty assured.
    • Was nice for the team to save De Gea for once as opposed the other way round. He was poor yesterday.
    • Matic put in a real leaders performance yesterday. Looked genuinely affronted conceding, and took matters into his own hands. He was brilliant. Team needs to be more like that when we conceded, get genuinely angry and insulted over it. Lindelof looks another that takes personal offence to conceeding. Too often the team just doesnt react emotionally to conceding. I think that was good to see yesterday.
    I'd agree with all the above, Id still say Pogba was average and did what you'd expect from a midfielder ,(he didn' play poor or anything ) but when he came in thought he'd be the difference maker in big games,
    But can't argue with any of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

all in the past 24 hours.... no wonder my ears were burning!!!

.... do you regularly search your name? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

One thing I haven't seen much talk about is the early card Kante got. He was a waste of a jersey after that and really helped us move forward. All down to an incredible bit of skill and strength from Pgba to get away from him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Was again infuriating how poor United are in possession. Even in the second half, an improvement over the shocking first half, we were so poor.

The amount of times we were forced to play sideways and backwards because of players not showing for the ball is so annoying to see. Matic and the defenders were often forced into direct passes into the channels because there just weren't options for them.

Players not rotating into space is just so annoying.

Yeah, when Lukaku made the surging run at the end, I ended up more frustrated by the fact the United players seemed to saunter up after him, rather than trying to support him. Pogba was right beside him before Lukaku started the run, only to jog casually after him.

I'd agree with all the above, Id still say Pogba was average and did what you'd expect from a midfielder ,(he didn' play poor or anything ) but when he came in thought he'd be the difference maker in big games,

Sanchez looked lost out there yesterday. I’d love to know what Mourinho's instructions to him were. It seemed like he was being bypassed for most of the first half to be fair.

.... do you regularly search your name? :pac:

no but i did this morning as i seen my name pop up a few times yesterday :)

Sorry lads no idea why that posted twice by me ,

Ironically I'd imagine yesterday is probably one of those games where Pogba can't win.

He plays more disciplined, retains possesion and is neat and tidy as he is, driving the team when on the ball, but because he doesn't score some 40 yard worldy or make an assist people will be like "ugh didnt show up in a big game".

I thought he did. The team as a whole was sluggish and poor first half, but he is just at the heart of anything good or positive we do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Sanchez looked lost out there yesterday. I’d love to know what Mourinho's instructions to him were. It seemed like he was being bypassed for most of the first half to be fair.

I feel ive said it a thousand times. But Sanchez has to be one of the most overrated players in the world
    You see in his performances for United he tries do everything himself
    He sees himself as a rival for Messi/Ronaldo

• Advertisement

Ironically I'd imagine yesterday is probably one of those games where Pogba can't win.

He plays more disciplined, retains possesion and is neat and tidy as he is, driving the team when on the ball, but because he doesn't score some 40 yard worldy or make an assist people will be like "ugh didnt show up in a big game".

I thought he did. The team as a whole was sluggish and poor first half, but he is just at the heart of anything good or positive we do.
    But being neat and tidy is what you expect from  a Drinkwater, Milner, Noble type player, Having that 90 ,million price tag make people expect much more from Pogba ,
    Alexis had his one outrageous season as 9 at Arsenal , he works really hard but without  discipline, He will chase the ball for 90 minutes  but he's not disciplined enough to chase one man for 90 minutes

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, when Lukaku made the surging run at the end, I ended up more frustrated by the fact the United players seemed to saunter up after him, rather than trying to support him. Pogba was right beside him before Lukaku started the run, only to jog casually after him.

Hah thought the same. Was roaring for Lukaku just burning their defence with that pace, but I guess could have been pure adrenaline, was in the last few minutes and I guess I'd forgive our midfield for being knackered.

But being neat and tidy is what you expect from  a Drinkwater, Milner, Noble type player, Having that 90 ,million price tag make people expect much more from Pogba ,
    Alexis had his one outrageous season as 9 at Arsenal , he works really hard but without  discipline, He will chase the ball for 90 minutes  but he's not disciplined enough to chase one man for 90 minutes

That's fine and all, but there needs to be some acceptance he can't do everything, all the time, by himself.

I thought yesterday was a more disciplined Pogba where he wasn't getting caught ahead of the ball all the time, when we attacked he was anchoring it receiving the ball, instead of just charging into the box.

But then at times,and when we needed, he drove forward, he played nice passes, he put us on the front foot.

Sure it wasn't some coming of age performance, but for a big game, in a 4-3-3 (which I guess we need to also accept the team needs some time to adapt to, while it might be "his formation " we have played 4-2-3-1 for a season and a half) I think it was a pretty positive step for the manager, Pogba and the team.

In other types of games, I'm sure we will see him maraud a lot more and probably be an absolute monster, if, this formation continues, Matic and McTominay begin to learn the patterns and that when Pogba goes bombing, we adjust and move accordingly. Apart from the goal itself yesterday where Pogba did get caught from a corner, I don't remember us being steamrolled through much at all, if anytime?

Which has been a massive problem playing Pogba + Matic in the big games, seems team just run straight through us. Not only was Pogba more controlled yesterday, there was also McTominay there being very dilligent (apart from the goal) in his defensive duties. So not only is it a platform to free Pogba and let him do what he does best, it also provides some solidity through the middle, where we have looked soft.

And maybe, the issues in attack with us being so disjointed and a mess, might benefit from Pogba being part of it, or orchestrating it, more often.

I thought a big thing from yesterday was the manager changed formation, and we win a big game. I don't think we went out with a "park the bus" mentality, team just fell into it from their poor start and Chelseas stronger first half. The manager was seen plenty shouting and harranging to push up. Which is good, and credit to him.

It's not about making a change so people can be like "hah, told you so", I think it's fundamentally important, if Jose is going to work out and really drive this team to success, that he realises it's no longer about "winning the Jose way" but that he just becomes more flexible to win with the players he has and their strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

no but i did this morning as i seen my name pop up a few times yesterday :)

Well do it properly then because the one you quote from me was 2 days ago ya luala.

Jaysus you fuk everything up!!!!

:)

That's fine and all, but there needs to be some acceptance he can't do everything, all the time, by himself.

I thought yesterday was a more disciplined Pogba where he wasn't getting caught ahead of the ball all the time, when we attacked he was anchoring it receiving the ball, instead of just charging into the box.

But then at times,and when we needed, he drove forward, he played nice passes, he put us on the front foot.

Sure it wasn't some coming of age performance, but for a big game, in a 4-3-3 (which I guess we need to also accept the team needs some time to adapt to, while it might be "his formation " we have played 4-2-3-1 for a season and a half) I think it was a pretty positive step for the manager, Pogba and the team.

In other types of games, I'm sure we will see him maraud a lot more and probably be an absolute monster, if, this formation continues, Matic and McTominay begin to learn the patterns and that when Pogba goes bombing, we adjust and move accordingly. Apart from the goal itself yesterday where Pogba did get caught from a corner, I don't remember us being steamrolled through much at all, if anytime?

Which has been a massive problem playing Pogba + Matic in the big games, seems team just run straight through us. Not only was Pogba more controlled yesterday, there was also McTominay there being very dilligent (apart from the goal) in his defensive duties. So not only is it a platform to free Pogba and let him do what he does best, it also provides some solidity through the middle, where we have looked soft.

And maybe, the issues in attack with us being so disjointed and a mess, might benefit from Pogba being part of it, or orchestrating it, more often.

I thought a big thing from yesterday was the manager changed formation, and we win a big game. I don't think we went out with a "park the bus" mentality, team just fell into it from their poor start and Chelseas stronger first half. The manager was seen plenty shouting and harranging to push up. Which is good, and credit to him.

It's not about making a change so people can be like "hah, told you so", I think it's fundamentally important, if Jose is going to work out and really drive this team to success, that he realises it's no longer about "winning the Jose way" but that he just becomes more flexible to win with the players he has and their strengths.
    Do you think he will stick with that shape for the Liverpool game,
    Hazard and Willian tend to start centrally, and that left Young and Valencia up against Alanso and Moses, but against Liverpool they will have Salah and Mane starting in wide position (looking to come inside) which will cause trouble if there one on one with Young and Valencia, Plus Firmino will be a lot more trouble than Morata was ,
    Its going to be very interesting how both teams line up,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We need 3 CB's against Liverpool to be solid.

Hazard and Willian tend to start centrally, and that left Young and Valencia up against Alanso and Moses, but against Liverpool they will have Salah and Mane starting in wide position (looking to come inside) which will cause trouble if there one on one with Young and Valencia, Plus Firmino will be a lot more trouble than Morata was ,

If I was him, I'd do the same again.

Having three midfielders, and McTominay being more defensive minded (which I think is impressive considering his age) allows for the team to be more robust, but can let Pogba drive us forward.

McTominay and Matic can provide a base of protection against a counter, while allowing Pogba to orchestrate at the base of an attacking four.

Our attack definitely needs to wake up though. This fixture in reverse derailed our season and started all of the problems we are still talking about.

A ruthless, effective performance against Liverpool at home could bring things full circle.

I'd definitely expect to see Luke Shaw in that team though over Ashley Young. And I won't be shocked to see Sanchez not immediately starting. He has shown to be utterly unreliable in occasions where our LB needs protection or help, so unless he accepts he requires discpline in this team unlike his free reign in Arsenal, he might well find himself on the bench. Be a big call from the manager, but I'd totally understand it.

It will also be an opportunity for Pogba to show he can be a more well rounded midfielder. As well as driving us forward and being the creative spark, he needs to marshall that channel of the pitch where Salah has been so devastating. So Pogba and our selected LW will have to be vigilant to the Salah threat. And that's fine, and it needs to happen. We can't be totally gung ho and neglect to respec the strengths Liverpool have.

At the same time, need to exploit their weakness. They have a blunt midfield that is tough but lacks any creativity, and they still have, in my eyes, a rickety defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sanchez is only at United a few weeks and is working hard in a vital period of the season. To arrive in January is a difficult task for any player. He is performing different roles in games and was tasked with a central one yesterday.

While it would be great to have him firing, in an attacking position, United need to get through this period or have the whole season wasted.

League games include(d) Chelsea and Liverpool, also champions league tie to completion and two rounds of the FA cup. The league games provide a big chance to make up for bad results earlier in the season.

Sanchez, like others can do more, Jose needs to get them doing a lot more to be a top side. We all know that. For me I understand a cagey approach right now.

If I was him, I'd do the same again.

Having three midfielders, and McTominay being more defensive minded (which I think is impressive considering his age) allows for the team to be more robust, but can let Pogba drive us forward.

McTominay and Matic can provide a base of protection against a counter, while allowing Pogba to orchestrate at the base of an attacking four.

Our attack definitely needs to wake up though. This fixture in reverse derailed our season and started all of the problems we are still talking about.

A ruthless, effective performance against Liverpool at home could bring things full circle.

I'd definitely expect to see Luke Shaw in that team though over Ashley Young. And I won't be shocked to see Sanchez not immediately starting. He has shown to be utterly unreliable in occasions where our LB needs protection or help, so unless he accepts he requires discpline in this team unlike his free reign in Arsenal, he might well find himself on the bench. Be a big call from the manager, but I'd totally understand it.
    For me the centre of the park is pretty even against Liverpool ,so it'll interesting to see which defence copes better with the opposite front 3
    Then there is the one obvious advantage which is De Gea I think he could be the match winner ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In a Mourinho team, it's easy for him to get bypassed in games like that. José likes to be solid and direct. rotation of positions while in possession is not really encouraged too much either, and possession is very much safety first.

it doesn't play to his strengths.

he's not great at keeping possession, and is at his best when he's given the licence to try things, without fear of a mistake.

he still had a key role in the goal when Utd did actually manage to get it down in the final third, but that sort of game is tough for him generally. he's there to produce 'moments' and you could argue he did produce something with his role in the goal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement