Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me the centre of the park is pretty even against Liverpool ,so it'll interesting to see which defence copes better with the opposite front 3
    Then there is the one obvious advantage which is De Gea I think he could be the match winner ,

Another obvious advantage is their front 3 look a far better unit, far more cohesive and far better in terms of movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

DM_7 wrote: »
    Sanchez is only at United a few weeks and is working hard in a vital period of the season. To arrive in January is a difficult task for any player.

While it would be great to have him firing, in an attacking position, United need to get through this period or have the whole season wasted.

League games include(d) Chelsea and Liverpool, also champions league tie to completion and two rounds of the FA cup. The league games provide a big chance to make up for bad results earlier in the season.

Sanchez, like others can do more, Jose needs to get them doing a lot more to be a top side. We all know that. For me I understand a cagey approach right now.

Think Sanchez just needs a word, be sat down and told a few things. He's very frustrating to watch, I was raging at him constantly yesterday, and all down to his positioning.

While it feeds into my narrative and there is bias there obviously, that I don't think this manager coaches attacking players, he's not stupid. While there is obvious method to letting attacking players operate themselves and interchange, there are still times structure needs to be intact.

Sanchez was totally clueless and I'd say more selfish yeesterday than anything. He wanted to be involved, he wanted to be the centre of it, even though he was playing crap. But his drifting infield smothered the centre and left, which let Chelsea easily mark and defend everything, and it smothered Martials space.

All the while, there was a gaping void over on the right. So many times Valencia or McTominay got the ball, looked right to see no Sanchez and had to turn infield. Valencia lashed him out of it a few times.

I think it's cool for Sanchez to be given some free reign here and there, but at the same time, there needs to be some sacrifice for the team and there needs to be some intstruction giving to him.

I've always found him a selfish player, and like that it might be self serving bias to my own opinion, but I thought he was just a problem yesterday, and the sort of performance Jose made examples of out of the likes of Mhiki, Martial etc previously.

As I watched that match was a bit like, ****, imagine we signed Willian. Those right side problems, wouldn't be problems.

Too early to call anything on Sanchez, he's a great player, but thus far I'm massively underwhelmed and feel its causing more problems than its solving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For me the centre of the park is pretty even against Liverpool ,so it'll interesting to see which defence copes better with the opposite front 3
    Then there is the one obvious advantage which is De Gea I think he could be the match winner ,

Another obvious advantage is their front 3 look a far better unit, far more cohesive and far better in terms of movement.
    I think it even's it out due the defensive units , that why I think De Gea will be a huge difference ,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

At the cost of a weak defence open to mistakes on a regular basis.

It is the risk v reward. They are not like city when it comes to control of a game. They don't have the midfield to do that. They are very good at setting up moments for their attack and have absorbed loss of Coutinho very well.

United could do more in attack but when United open up they concede bad goals like yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

People seem to forget that some of the best midfielders in the world were not about “40 yard screamers”. The likes of Keane Xavi and Pirlo would be worth well more than 90m these days.. playing a disciplined game, controlling and driving the team on is much more important. Playing the correct pass over and over.

I’m not comparing Pogba like for like with these. But yesterday he did the fundamentals great, coming in from poor form it’s exactly what he needs to settle himself down, get the basics right and make the correct decisions. Time and time again we have given out about him playing the wrong ball, taking way too much time on the ball and trying to be a hero.. he doesn’t need to be. Sometimes less is more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wait what's happening here? I thought it was us that were ment to go running to the pool thread after a win????

They must of got tired waiting for it and decided to come looking as they were fed up talking about united on their own bless them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »
    Wait what's happening here? I thought it was us that were ment to go running to the pool thread after a win????

They must of got tired waiting for it and decided to come looking as they were fed up talking about united on their own bless them.

"Taking one for the team"

"I come in peace etc."

TheDoc wrote: »
    Think Sanchez just needs a word, be sat down and told a few things. He's very frustrating to watch, I was raging at him constantly yesterday, and all down to his positioning.

While it feeds into my narrative and there is bias there obviously, that I don't think this manager coaches attacking players, he's not stupid. While there is obvious method to letting attacking players operate themselves and interchange, there are still times structure needs to be intact.

Sanchez was totally clueless and I'd say more selfish yeesterday than anything. He wanted to be involved, he wanted to be the centre of it, even though he was playing crap. But his drifting infield smothered the centre and left, which let Chelsea easily mark and defend everything, and it smothered Martials space.

All the while, there was a gaping void over on the right. So many times Valencia or McTominay got the ball, looked right to see no Sanchez and had to turn infield. Valencia lashed him out of it a few times.

I think it's cool for Sanchez to be given some free reign here and there, but at the same time, there needs to be some sacrifice for the team and there needs to be some intstruction giving to him.

I've always found him a selfish player, and like that it might be self serving bias to my own opinion, but I thought he was just a problem yesterday, and the sort of performance Jose made examples of out of the likes of Mhiki, Martial etc previously.

As I watched that match was a bit like, ****, imagine we signed Willian. Those right side problems, wouldn't be problems.

Too early to call anything on Sanchez, he's a great player, but thus far I'm massively underwhelmed and feel its causing more problems than its solving.

Sanchez was told to operate in the middle though. Not out wide.

Jose said as much, that he thought Uniteds best chance of success was to get at them centrally as Chelsea were so good out wide. Sanchez was also asked to help cover midfield space. In the middle he used his talent to make a chance, Martial and Lukaku linked well with him ro get a goal from the centre. It was no perfect game but he was under instruction.

As far as coaching goes you could well be right about Jose. I expect he has a team to work with players though, not just himself. But I can't reallly argue that matter.

Sometimes an outside view is nice,
    There are still grow ups who can talk objectively about football and can see con's and pro's in there own teams and there rivals,

There are still grow ups who can talk objectively about football and can see con's and pro's in there own teams and there rivals,

Not everyone on the forum has this mindset. Some get extremely upset if a rival fan attempts to discuss Liverpool in their thread.

• Advertisement

Jose said as much, that he thought Uniteds best chance of success was to get at them centrally as Chelsea were so good out wide. Sanchez was also asked to help cover midfield space. In the middle he used his talent to make a chance, Martial and Lukaku linked well with him ro get a goal from the centre. It was no perfect game but he was under instruction.

As far as coaching goes you could well be right about Jose. I expect he has a team to work with players though, not just himself. But I can't reallly argue that matter.

Oh that's fair enough then.

I didn't see the after match interview or press conference. I thought he was being a dick just hanging around the middle when we had ACRES of space out wide and no outball.

But if that's what the manager asked that's fair enough.

Interesting approach from the manager too. Only thinking about it now, but I don't remember Valencia hassled at all. Which is weird, Alonso is typically good down that channel. You'd think taking a body out of there would give him and Hazard free reign down that channel. Don't remember it materialising much if I'm honest.

I personally think its a fascinating time in the Prem , You have United two big rivals and all 3 play completely different styles of football
    United = Very pragmatic safety first style, more direct, more powerful
    City = possession based, they try to kill you by keeping the ball, somuch so they buy defenders not on there defending but on how comfortable they are on the ball,
    Liverpool = at there best when they catch you in possession and team that thrive on counters from deep in the opposition half and rely on pace and quick release of the ball,

I didn't see the after match interview or press conference. I thought he was being a dick just hanging around the middle when we had ACRES of space out wide and no outball.

Interesting approach from the manager too. Only thinking about it now, but I don't remember Valencia hassled at all. Which is weird, Alonso is typically good down that channel. You'd think taking a body out of there would give him and Hazard free reign down that channel. Don't remember it materialising much if I'm honest.
    I thought this watching yesterday , Alanso was really really poor but he is only good when he can run in straight lines with the ball out in front Valencia played him very well by staying close,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are too busy celebrating the "we went above United for a few hours" trophy. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I saw an article yesterday after the game that basically said United were playing 4-2-2-2 for large portions of the game.
    Lukaku - Martial
    Sanchez - Pogba
    Matic - McT
    Young - Smalling - Lindy - Val

Have no problems at all with outside views I've said it all along even when I felt like posting in pool thread but it is amusing when I had read of pool thread this morning the comments were AWW wait for them to all come on here now and blah blah blah while in fact there was minimal talk of pool here and no one went near the thread but it was actually the pool fans and thread all talk about United.

Again I have no problems I enjoy all interacting banter and serious chat as long as it ain't hateful it's just amusing reading what was said.

We set up as a diamond with Sanchez at the tip and he was dropping back, young and Valencia were playing high up the pitch too, I found it interesting as I thought Jose would have told them to stay back but they were providing all the width.. when Jesse came on he slotted into the tip and Sanchez pushed up

Yeah, full backs did well for United.

Willian took advantage of it all. It was a very interesting game and well done to Jose for getting it right. Just, it was very close. Could have swung the other way.

Missed the match on tv live, so listened on radio and Kilbane was great describing what was going on. Comments from United backed up his summary very well.

Have no problems at all with outside views I've said it all along even when I felt like posting in pool thread but it is amusing when I had read of pool thread this morning the comments were AWW wait for them to all come on here now and blah blah blah while in fact there was minimal talk of pool here and no one went near the thread but it was actually the pool fans and thread all talk about United.

Again I have no problems I enjoy all interacting banter and serious chat as long as it ain't hateful it's just amusing reading what was said.

I’ve said it before here and over on the Pool thread, the Majority of posters are very welcome to discussion, hell ive has some great discussions over there and they are more than welcome over here, sure Emmet was practically a regular here and never got any stick for it.. where is he btw

To be fair the way I see football you should only think about who's ahead of you ,
    That makes the game at Old Trafford huge for Liverpool as its a chance to make the points difference up themselves without relying on other results, Can understand the talk of yesterdays game as it gives an insight in what to expect in 2 weeks,
    But 2 games for Liverpool , 1 for United before then and in football with injuries an form god knows  what way both teams will be going into it,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

salah was the one we should have signed in the summer. best player in the league now imo, although Willian is an excellent player as well and can actually take a corner kick

bangkok wrote: »

salah was the one we should have signed in the summer. best player in the league now im
    He's been unreal but he is giving a role at Liverpool that he would not be afforded at Old Trafford, Its no surprise teams target Liverpool right full its because Salah is allowed "cheat" he doesn't have to cover as much as Mane on the other side,
    He is basically a centre forward who's starting position is wide right, Firmino drops deep and Salah moves into that space , The United set up wouldn't suit him as Lakaku does not vacate the space,
    He'd be a good player but no where near as effective at old Trafford,

As I watched the replay of his goal, I thought "Jose only brought him to Chelsea to keep him away from Spurs, fúck sake."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

salah was the one we should have signed in the summer. best player in the league now imo, although Willian is an excellent player as well and can actually take a corner kick

WE GET IT.

WE GET IT.

7549b32feef6869e20b10cd5a3deffd4.jpg

7549b32feef6869e20b10cd5a3deffd4.jpg

tumblr_otzkv4ybqw1w1msh7o7_400.gif

I think its fair enough for us to draw conclusions as to why we didn't sign Salah.

I think it's also a bit of hindsight being 20/20 in terms of the price he went for, the form he has been in this season and then applying "omg why didnt we sign him".

But I think it's clear why we weren't interested, and in some respects that's fair enough. Can't force players onto a manager, and Salah isn't someone I would have jumped to first conclusions on this summer, and I wasn't exactly pushed when I saw him sign for Liverpool.

Just worked out nicely for them and him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Great to see Baily back on the field. Haven't looked as strong defensively since he got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know I've been very critical of the recent performances, mainly on attack, and that a lot of people aren't happy still with yesterday but have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The overall mentality hadn't changed much and we still maintained the same attacking approach, but I felt at least yesterday there were more times where we saw actual intent to run with the ball, thread a pass, and Lukaku wasn't isolated as much. Pogba was looking to get on the ball and actually carry it rather than pivot and offload, thought there were a couple of times where we actually tried fast counters which was nice to see, also the closing down of the defenders on the ball and Sanchez drifting more centrally I think helped open things up for Lukaku, who was brilliant.

Again, isn't changing the overall opinion massively, but nice to see when I had very low expectations of how we would go forward. Think Liverpool will be a total different ball game though. They have been killer on the attack and we will have our work cut out. Think it may be a game where our midfield will be pinned back again and we will end up falling into familiar habits. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know I've been very critical of the recent performances, mainly on attack, and that a lot of people aren't happy still with yesterday but have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The overall mentality hadn't changed much and we still maintained the same attacking approach, but I felt at least yesterday there were more times where we saw actual intent to run with the ball, thread a pass, and Lukaku wasn't isolated as much. Pogba was looking to get on the ball and actually carry it rather than pivot and offload, thought there were a couple of times where we actually tried fast counters which was nice to see, also the closing down of the defenders on the ball and Sanchez drifting more centrally I think helped open things up for Lukaku, who was brilliant.

Again, isn't changing the overall opinion massively, but nice to see when I had very low expectations of how we would go forward. Think Liverpool will be a total different ball game though. They have been killer on the attack and we will have our work cut out. Think it may be a game where our midfield will be pinned back again and we will end up falling into familiar habits. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though.

Number of things were positive yesterday but one of the best for me was how we played in the final 30 minutes we didn't just sit back on the lead we looked to control the game and make opportunities it worked well.

Yes Liverpool will be a total different game but no one knows what teams will show up. Liverpool have won 4 games on the bounce but they haven't played anyone exceptional either since they were beaten by the two bottom clubs in premier league.

I would hope bailly Will be able to start that game and if he does I think we are a lot better team defensively yo couple with their attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Number of things were positive yesterday but one of the best for me was how we played in the final 30 minutes we didn't just sit back on the lead we looked to control the game and make opportunities it worked well.

Yes Liverpool will be a total different game but no one knows what teams will show up. Liverpool have won 4 games on the bounce but they haven't played anyone exceptional either since they were beaten by the two bottom clubs in premier league.

I would hope bailly Will be able to start that game and if he does I think we are a lot better team defensively yo couple with their attack.

True. Hard to see how it will go.

I know many would disagree but Pool's style and ours is like fire and ice in my opinion. Liverpool are forming their season over moving the ball fast and quick attacks, which would open up chances to catch them on the counter. While we have been playing a more slow build-up game, seemingly designed to starve the other team of possession, but allows teams the time to get back and regroup.

Your thinking is very flawed, "they haven't played anyone exceptional either since they were beaten by the two bottom clubs in premier league"
    They played Spurs who are higher than Chelsea, so you could easy say United  haven't played anyone exceptional since losing to Newcastle ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Your thinking is very flawed, "they haven't played anyone exceptional either since they were beaten by the two bottom clubs in premier league"
    They played Spurs who are higher than Chelsea, so you could easy say United  haven't played anyone exceptional since losing to Newcastle ,

Don't think I seen him say united "HAD" played anyone exceptional. Do you normally take 2 and 2 and get 5?

Why are you making arguments or debate when there is none.

Don't think I seen him say united "HAD" played anyone exception.  Do you normally take 2 and 2 and get 5?

Why are you making arguments or debate when there is none.
    Keep your nickers on ,I'm just being realistic ,
    Spurs are one of best sides in the league and Europe at the moment so to say they haven't played anyone exceptional is not correct ,
    Unless of course you count City are the only exceptional team in the league which would be your own opinion ,

True. Hard to see how it will go.

I know many would disagree but Pool's style and ours is like fire and ice in my opinion. Liverpool are forming their season over moving the ball fast and quick attacks, which would open up chances to catch them on the counter. While we have been playing a more slow build-up game, seemingly designed to starve the other team of possession, but allows teams the time to get back and regroup.

There was a spell yesterday in the second half where it was like the team smelt blood. I think it was maybe when Lingard came on, or just before. But we just stepped up a gear in terms of tempo and movement and we very quickly had pinned Chelsea back.

We didn't make any chances from it, but we just flipped the flow of the game around. Matic and Pogba were the main causes of it.

We do tend to be slow and methodical, but I put that down to there basically being no plan or idea so its everyone figuring it out. We can be awfully static in the final third, no real movement or running across the 18 yard box.

But there are these points where we just, step up. The pace, the tempo, the speed, its more one,two touch. And you can see teams get real "****ing wow whats happening here".

That is the frustrating part. We can do it, we could lure teams in, really let them come onto us, then smack them around on counters or just step it up.

The team looks best when playing instinctivly and fast, we don't seem to play well slow. We don't have those sort of players. We just have Pogba. But Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingaard, Mata, Hererra, Sanchez, they all seem to be at their best, and we look our best, when its so quick they can barely think.

We've a great instinctive attack, our first goal with Martials little lay off is another great example of it. We just can't seem to consistently lay down a pattern in the game where we are exploiting teams with our strengths. And I guess that can be kind of fair enough, in the majority teams sit off us.

But you maybe think that our slow build up play will get that way to the final third or opposition box, then you expect to see crazy quickfire movement and crossing runs to create space and then little give and go's and bang chance created.

• Advertisement

Spurs are one of best sides in the league and Europe at the moment so to say they haven't played anyone exceptional is not correct ,
    Unless of course you count City are the only exceptional team in the league which would be your own opinion ,

I actually missed the spurs game I donno how think I only picked out the teams they won as they drew that game.

Either way I wasn't saying it to compare pool to United it was more in response to someone saying pools attack is lethal or whatever.

I said we don't know what teams will turn up and that goes for United also but the teams pool put to the sword in past few games haven't been exceptional so United hopefully will be a different test too.

I actually missed the spurs game I donno how think I only picked out the teams they won as they drew that game.

Either way I wasn't saying it to compare pool to United it was more in response to someone saying pools attack is  lethal or whatever.

I said we don't know what teams will turn up and that goes for United also but the teams pool put to the sword in past few games haven't been exceptional so United hopefully will be a different test too.
    Id agree with you there, they can also be got at as there own defence is not exactly stellar

Either way I wasn't saying it to compare pool to United it was more in response to someone saying pools attack is lethal or whatever.

I know it will be tough for many fans to admit, say or accept.

But I know for me personally, with the way the season has transpired, I'm giving Liverpool full respect when they come to OT. I'm under no fan bias or illusion, this is one of the best attacks in Europe rocking up to OT.

Still believe they are dog**** in defence, but it will only count for something if we try go at them. And Jose, in his recent outings in big games, has been more positive and adventurous.

The first encounter this season was so frustrating and derailing because we were in class form and Liverpool were playing muck.

The only big fear I would have had, is Jose going in with a severe counter attack plan, sitting back and letting Liverpool swarm us. I think they probably would score, and we are brutal coming back from behind.

But then yesterday happened, so hopefully that injects some belief in the team, if things do go south or against the plan, they can turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

irishman86 wrote: »
    I feel ive said it a thousand times. But Sanchez has to be one of the most overrated players in the world
    You see in his performances for United he tries do everything himself
    He sees himself as a rival for Messi/Ronaldo

He doesn't try do everything himself though. He had some nice moments yesterday and good involvement in a goal and a couple of opportunities created.

He needs time to get with his team, there has been some encouraging signs to this point. It's not 100% yet for sure

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I still maintain with 100% confidence that the best way to beat Liverpool is allow them to have the ball and catch them on the Hop.. if you play highly up the pitch their front three will destroy you

Also I don’t think the first match against Pool earlier in the season was the wrong tactics, it was more the players couldn’t pass 5 yards away from them.. every time we tried to counter it was broken down by a misplayed pass before we even got out of our half

• Advertisement

We play nothing like Liverpool, ie we don't play to his strengths and don't have the personnel /tactical approach to get the best of him the way klopp does.

Things don't exist in a vacuum unfortunately, more then individual abilities go into great performances .

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

astradave wrote: »
    I still maintain with 100% confidence that the best way to beat Liverpool is allow them to have the ball and catch them on the Hop.. if you play highly up the pitch their front three will destroy you

Also I don’t think the first match against Pool earlier in the season was the wrong tactics, it was more the players couldn’t pass 5 yards away from them.. every time we tried to counter it was broken down by a misplayed pass before we even got out of our half

Spurs played the same tactic against them and tore them apart because the execution was much better than ours.

The blueprint is there it's a matter of execution

I still maintain that every player is world class until they join United then they are the most overrated player since Andy Carroll......... Just saying

astradave wrote: »

Spurs played the same tactic against them and tore them apart because the execution was much better than ours.

The blueprint is there it's a matter of execution
    I'm not so sure wasn't that the day Lovren had a melt down and was subbed after 20 minutes , Chasing a game away to Spurs is never easy ,

We play nothing like Liverpool, ie we don't play to his strengths and don't have the personnel /tactical approach to get the best of him the way klopp does.

Things don't exist in a vacuum unfortunately, more then individual abilities go into great performances .

i would say in our current team we dont play to a lot of our players strengths.

Lukaku would probably have more goals if we had proper wingers who could cross a ball.

we would be raving about Pogbas performances if he was played in a more advanced role.

Rashford seems to have stalled a lot this season and i think he is an outstanding talent.

Luke Shaw is just being wasted, he would offer so much more that young if he was played down the left

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awh man, I was hoping we could go more than the 24 hours without resorting back to moaning about problems again, with a dose of "Aren't Liverpool great" thrown in :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Awh man, I was hoping we could go more than the 24 hours without resorting back to moaning about problems again, with a dose of "Aren't Liverpool great" thrown in :(

Ahh here he comes moaning about people moaning :)

Focusing on the match this weekend.. palace seem to be a hell of a lot more resolute, and while they gave Spurs a few chances yesterday, they probably came out of it with a lot more confidence.. is Zaha back for them?

We should be confident in beating them anyways, just don’t think it will be as easy as some people think. Hopefully Jose goes with the 442 diamond again and Mata/Jesse coming in to the tip with Sanchez and Lukaku up top..

yea we are, United game finished 3.50 yesterday, so thats 24 hours and 50 mins :)

Just channelling the great Roy Keane..
    Of course. You have to enjoy the success, but I never enjoyed it as much as maybe I should have. You'd enjoy the night of a big win or victory, but the next day it was back in the thread, looking to the next game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement