Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    The gaitan dream is over, he has moved to china

Look at paulinho there is always hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    The gaitan dream is over, he has moved to china

Carrasco too, what a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

An avalanche of players linked to us in today's papers.
    David,Kessie,Gelsin Martins,Isco.

Guti tipped to take over from Zidane and end any interest in De Gea.

United have reservations about dealing with Levy over Alderweireld.

You missed the Robben links, by far the most amusing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just noticed the FA Cup quarter final match is on St Patricks Day an 7:45pm nice time to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Carrasco too, what a waste

Whatever about Gaitin at the tale end of his career, theCarrasco love is a shocker. Very talented player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    Whatever about Gaitin at the tale end of his career, theCarrasco love is a shocker. Very talented player

Think they were saying on the TFS podcast yesterday that they think he will go over there for a year, earn a huge amount, and then come back.

Think they were saying on the TFS podcast yesterday that they think he will go over there for a year, earn a huge amount, and then come back.

I doubt his World Cup place is in jeopardy with the move anyways. Still, really enjoy watching him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just noticed the FA Cup quarter final match is on St Patricks Day an 7:45pm nice time to watch it.

On after the egg chasing too. A few might be a bit tipsy for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Weird thought this morning, and maybe spurned again by a quote I saw by Jermaine Jenas on Jesse Lingard.

Considering Dele Alli was having a poor season (not sure how he's done since Christmas) is it fair to suggest Lingard should be ahead of Alli in the First team XI for England, and is actually having a better season?

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2017/2018/dele_alli/819/819/18185/0/p|premier_league/2017/2018/jesse_lingard/819/819/3837/0/p#attack_score/key_passes/assists/chances_created/goals_scored/shot_accuracy#90

Lukaku is on to something here...

Would be a fun thing to see pre season or at the end of the season. Not sure about the north vs south idea though. Imagine Utd, City and Liverpool fans all together vs the London clubs :P

https://twitter.com/RomeluLukaku9/status/968220624354234368

Always would have loved an all star game.

I loved the idea of the PFA Teams of the Year from England, Spain, Italy and Germany playing a little tournament.

I'd imagine the problem is no one wants anything fun that you cannot extract $$$$$ from, worries about injuries, fatigue if its a tournament year etc.

Be cool to see something like that though.

I liked the idea I read from the Hillsborough stuff last year of a charity match with the current United and Liverpool squads all bundled up playing each other. A reminder to fans and the likes while there is obviously a rivalry, it's a sport, and there has been some friendly and honourable stuff that has happen through the years, relating to the major incidents that occured on both sides.

Be hilarious to see a manager 5 aside, or 9 aside. Sure some of them getting on a bit and couldn't play, but they could manage the managers. So much hostility can grow there, among peers, all under immense pressure. Definitely think the league could use a few more laughs and lighthearted stuff, use it as drives for charity or whatever. I'm always watching those legend matches that happen every few summers, or the ones we host. They are always great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

TheDoc wrote: »
    Always would have loved an all star game.

I loved the idea of the PFA Teams of the Year from England, Spain, Italy and Germany playing a little tournament.

I'd imagine the problem is no one wants anything fun that you cannot extract $$$$$ from, worries about injuries, fatigue if its a tournament year etc.

Be cool to see something like that though.
    I think a nice by-product of something like that would be that it would actually encourage those voting for the team of the year to choose teams/players who would be most deserving, in addition to being able to work as a team with the others on the list.

It would encourage the team to be compiled of players who can play in compatible partnerships, formations, and tactics.

Maybe that's reading into it a bit too much, but I would love to see the result of that. :)

Weird thought this morning, and maybe spurned again by a quote I saw by Jermaine Jenas on Jesse Lingard.

Considering Dele Alli was having a poor season (not sure how he's done since Christmas) is it fair to suggest Lingard should be ahead of Alli in the First team XI for England, and is actually having a better season?

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2017/2018/dele_alli/819/819/18185/0/p|premier_league/2017/2018/jesse_lingard/819/819/3837/0/p#attack_score/key_passes/assists/chances_created/goals_scored/shot_accuracy#90

Yeah, but Alli is a Spurs player so they will continue to fellate him at every opportunity and ignore the gaping pile of nasty that sits at the heart of his over rated ass.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

While I agree that Jesse has done better of late I always felt that the problem with English teams going to the tournaments is by and large they never have a settled tèam there is always instances like this as to who is the flavour of the month.

The English team should be a team not a group of the inform players of the past six months I just think that's what causes unsettleness in the squad and players no knowing their roles.

I'm sure Jessie will go to the world cup but I don't think he should be picked in front of dele (as much as i dislike him) just because he has been the inform player of recent months.

If both players play to their best in the tournament then dele is better player in my opinion and he may drive on the big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Alli has his name established now. It would take another year or 2 of poor performances for him to be dropped.

New CL structure is a joke, grand for clubs like United etc but a **** you to any of the league that are not England,Spain,Germany,Italy

It keeps getting harder and harder for teams to break through unless they have mega bucks.

I find Lingard really interesting.

Is he a good player in a great run of form, or a great player hitting his standard.

I always thought he was an intelligent footballer and a hard worker - i could never fault what he was attempting to do, but his execution would let him down or just not quite be good enough. This season everything is coming off for him. Is it a measurement of Lingard, or just a bit of luck?

Is he a good player in a great run of form, or a great player hitting his standard.

I always thought he was an intelligent footballer and a hard worker - i could never fault what he was attempting to do, but his execution would let him down or just not quite be good enough. This season everything is coming off for him. Is it a measurement of Lingard, or just a bit of luck?

I don't think he is a great player, up there with some of the best like. I do think he is a very intelligent player, very clever and instinctive movement. Much like yourself, I think he will have runs where his form is extremely good and I think he will have plenty of parts during the season where he just isn't contributing as much for various reasons.

He is a great squad player for sure, he has a knack for popping up in important moments in big games too which is a fantastic skill to have in the locker.

Find myself in the readjustment stage of where I used to think Lingard was and what he could be.

If this type of form continues until the end of the season ,through the champions league?

Find myself in the readjustment stage of where I used to think Lingard was and what he could be.

If this type of form continues until the end of the season ,through the champions league?

His form doesn't continue though in terms of consistency in a relatively straight line.

He was playing very well, scoring great goals and looked great for a couple of weeks, then he wasn't playing so well for a couple of weeks, deservedly lost his place in the starting XI. He has come off the bench to score the winner against Chelsea so obviously we are all happy with that, but it is just a continuation of Lingards form this season for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He doesn't do it often enough that's his problem, If you start him week in week out you notice a lot of games he just doesn't preform , I don't see the problem with continuing to use him how Jose is at the moment, Its working so why change it,
    Ud have to worry about Rashford, Surely there will be another attacker bought in the summer, He will have Alexis, Lakaku , Martial , Jesse, Mata and who ever is brought in ahead of him .,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He doesn't do it often enough that's his problem, If you start him week in week out you notice a lot of games he just doesn't preform , I don't see the problem with continuing to use him how Jose is at the moment, Its working so why change it,
    Ud have to worry about Rashford, Surely there will be another attacker bought in the summer, He will have Alexis, Lakaku , Martial , Jesse, Mata and who ever is brought in ahead of him .,

Jose said he does not want another attacker.

I think he be after midfield options and full backs.

His form doesn't continue though in terms of consistency in a relatively straight line.

He was playing very well, scoring great goals and looked great for a couple of weeks, then he wasn't playing so well for a couple of weeks, deservedly lost his place in the starting XI. He has come off the bench to score the winner against Chelsea so obviously we are all happy with that, but it is just a continuation of Lingards form this season for me.

Yeah I guess I mean, if he still delivers in the general sense, I'll probably need to re-evaluate. There was a season or two he was making nice runs and looked good, but had no end product.

This has been a generally good season. And sure form will come and go, but he has stepped up pretty well.

The thing with Jesse is that he seems like he has been around so long but he actually hasn't played that much due to injury and what not.

He is the same age as pogba but has only played little over 100 games for United and all them are in the past 3 years mainly.

We all know what he was in the youth teams and how good he was but he didn't get a chance to show that in the senior squad until he was 21 years old so maybe now we are seen what his level can be.

DM_7 wrote: »

In fairness he is operating under the assumption no one leaves.

I sincerely envisage the Martial and Rashford situation to become a problem, and this summer may well be the first little test of that.

I don't see how we keep both medium term

Wouldn't be too sure, Jose has said he is now happy with his attacking options and just wants to work with what he has to get them playing better together.

Rashford is so young, he still has plenty of time. He is seeing plenty of game time too to aid his development. He isn't a player we should need to rely on and now we don't thankfully. Nothing wrong with that, hopefully he turns into the guy his potential indicates he could be.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be too sure, Jose has said he is now happy with his attacking options and just wants to work with what he has to get them playing better together.

Rashford is so young, he still has plenty of time. He is seeing plenty of game time too to aid his development. He isn't a player we should need to rely on and now we don't thankfully. Nothing wrong with that, hopefully he turns into the guy his potential indicates he could be.

In an ideal world Rashford accepts he is the future and is chill, as do we.

Reality is it only takes a few murmurs in his ear, and agent, some musings from somewhere to make him believe he could get more gametime somewhere else. Same for Martial.

I think Martial is the bigger risk, as I think hes the better talent, and he might start becoming frustrated at his rotation and inability to reach the level many think he should be at.

In an ideal world Rashford accepts he is the future and is chill, as do we.

Reality is it only takes a few murmurs in his ear, and agent, some musings from somewhere to make him believe he could get more gametime somewhere else. Same for Martial.

I think Martial is the bigger risk, as I think hes the better talent, and he might start becoming frustrated at his rotation and inability to reach the level many think he should be at.

Yep, I agree Martial is definitely the bigger risk to want out to another team in the short to medium future. I hope it doesn't happen as I think his ceiling is much higher than Rashfords.

Rashford being a local lad should buy a bit of time ala Welbeck, but ala Welbeck there will come a point where he needs to be a starter week in week out (hows that working out Danny?) and he may want to up sticks but it isn't a big concern for me, both due to his age and due to having Martial in the squad.

Of the two I would rather lose Rashford but realistically if it comes to it I think Martial will push for a move first. I don't think we are near that point though.

Yep, I agree Martial is definitely the bigger risk to want out to another team in the short to medium future. I hope it doesn't happen as I think his ceiling is much higher than Rashfords.

Rashford being a local lad should buy a bit of time ala Welbeck, but ala Welbeck there will come a point where he needs to be a starter week in week out (hows that working out Danny?) and he may want to up sticks but it isn't a big concern for me, both due to his age and due to having Martial in the squad.

Of the two I would rather lose Rashford but realistically if it comes to it I think Martial will push for a move first. I don't think we are near that point though.

Only reason I say this summer might be the first test, is that I can see a situation where both miss their respective World Cup squads, get the hump, and are a lot more receptive to other influences and ideas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Martial started Liverpool (a), Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Spurs (a), Chelsea (h).

Came on v Spurs (h), Chelsea (a).

He is getting chances in big games. He is positioned to make an even bigger impact as time goes by.

Rashford is 20 and still gettings lots of appearances.

Manager has spoke about his plans so why would they not back themselves to get games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Martial started Liverpool (a), Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Spurs (a), Chelsea (h).

Came on v Spurs (h),  Chelsea (a).

He is getting chances in big games. He is positioned to make an even bigger impact as time goes by.

Rashford is 20 and still gettings lots of appearances.

Manager has spoke about his plans so why would they not back themselves to get games?
    Since the City came at the start of December Rashford has started 2 Prem games, the other 3 games he started where bristol. Derby , Yevoil, 
    Clearly he's fallen down the pecking order and he could do with more starts ,

• Advertisement

Since the City came at the start of December Rashford has started 2 Prem games, the other 3 games he started where bristol. Derby , Yevoil, 

He missed a few games through injury, to be fair. We don't know what would have happened if he was not injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He was injured. Up until that I think he was the only Utd player to make an appearance in every game Utd had played this season up until then.

Himself and Martial have gotten loads of game time, especially Rashford.

It’s incorrect to say he has fallen down the pecking order.

Thought just popped into my head, is mctominay the fellaini replacement?

Central Midfielder, could be pushed up top as a target man, will do exactly what his manager asks him to do tactically. Tall, will likely bulk out, tidy on the ball.

With it looking like fellaini could be off, could Jose see Scott as a near perfect replacement? Also, as a youth product his use would also draw less ire than fellaini.

Thought just popped into my head, is mctominay the fellaini replacement?

Central Midfielder, could be pushed up top as a target man, will do exactly what his manager asks him to do tactically. Tall, will likely bulk out, tidy on the ball.

With it looking like fellaini could be off, could Jose see Scott as a near perfect replacement? Also, as a youth product his use would also draw less ire than fellaini.

That’s a good call and then we bring in someone like Savic or Jorginho.. it’s going to be interesting to see who we go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We could still do with a proper right winger. Mata is turning 30 this year too

It's about priorities tho. Yes we need a right winger but that's probably down the list behind 2 midfielders and a central defender and a right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mata still has a lot to offer if given the chance hoping we keep him for a couple more years at least. If we'd kept the momentum going at the start of the season throughout we'd be up at city's door not on the same points as them mind you their run is a very seldom seen thing but what with the injuries we have had and the crazy stuff going on to be in 2nd place is a major miracle if we can win the next two league games and results for the chasing pack go belly up it can take pressure off and allow concentration to be focused on the Champions League there is still a cup double available which would be some coup. The season is not over yet and we still have a hand in two pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If Bale comes available United will be front of the line for him. Other than that I don’t see United being that bothered with the position. Jose has transformed our obsession with number 10’s into an obsession with right footed left forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

GSPfan wrote: »
    If Bale comes available United will be front of the line for him. Other than that I don’t see United being that bothered with the position. Jose has transformed our obsession with number 10’s into an obsession with right footed left forwards.

I'd say the Bale ship has sailed at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whydo we need a RB with TFM having a pretty succesful loan at Palace to compete with Valencia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

pjohnson wrote: »
    Whydo we need a RB with TFM having a pretty succesful loan at Palace to compete with Valencia?

I'm assuming it's an age thing.

And a positional thing :) TFM is a centre back and won't be a man United right back in any sort of permanent role imo

Anyway I want our next right back to be a "specialist" to use mourinho phrase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

And a positional thing :) TFM is a centre back and won't be a man United right back in any sort of permanent role imo

I meant tony's age :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Remember when Griezmann to United felt like it was a matter of when we opposed to if.

Feels like so long ago now.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Remember when Griezmann to United felt like it was a matter of when we opposed to if.

Feels like so long ago now.

The window on that (if it ever really was open) is passed I reckon, think Sanchez coming in firmly closed it.

If Martial was to go, maybe, but I don't think that is likely and I wouldn't be in a rush to push him out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

According to don balon De Gea has named three players utd must sign in order for him to stay. Umtiti, Dybala and pjanic. Id like if this were true if for no other reason than woodward being demoted in the transfer stakes. Maybe he could run a few suggestions by De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't believe it and it would be such a stupid transfer policy.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    According to don balon De Gea has named three players utd must sign in order for him to stay. Umtiti, Dybala and pjanic. Id like if this were true if for no other reason than woodward being demoted in the transfer stakes. Maybe he could run a few suggestions by De Gea.

Whoever Don Balon is, you should remember this as the day you had conclusive proof he was full of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

He's in no way a cb he has played in every position his best position is rb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Whoever Don Balon is, you should remember this as the day you had conclusive proof he was full of ****.

Its a spanish football magazine. I didnt say i believed it i said i found the idea of the keeper dictating the summer transfers funny. With woodward and mourninho coming to him with suggestions or requests.

Personally I think De Gea is and will be happy to stay. Once we stay on an upward track. Some positions need strenghtening but I think Mourninho and club are ahead of him on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement