Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have to laugh. We had football training last monday .... -15 degrees. That said we are inside tonight, ground is so hard that it's like tarmac and risk of damaging our ankles too high. Else we'd be out there again. :P

Switzerland is used to cold conditions but even -15 in my region is exceptional.
    Anyway hope you all used your day off to watch old Man u games while I was stuck in work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dreamt last night that yee sent Pogba on loan to Moyes at West Ham. Woke up 100% sure it had happened, till reality and logic started to settle in.

Was a fun dream though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

astradave wrote: »
    For once your talking sense :pac:

Its a once in a 30 year event :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dreamt last night that yee sent Pogba on loan to Moyes at West Ham. Woke up 100% sure it had happened, till reality and logic started to settle in.

Was a fun dream though.

dreaming about United now too..... the obsession is real :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jayo26 wrote: »
    dreaming about United now too..... the obsession is real :)

Ha, touche!

Was so weird though, just a really boring, incredibly realistic dream of watching something like sky sports news on tv, and seeing Pogba beside Moyes, holding a West Ham jersey.

I could've been flying around Saturn with Miss World, but instead I'm dreaming of football news on tv. Bit of a waste really.

I live a 3 minute walk from work. No time off for me :(

Are you the fella off the news :D

*Insert slip gif*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Are you the fella off the news :D

*Insert slip gif*

I seen that clip in a bar in Gran Canaria on a Spanish TV show about 6 or 7 years ago. It’s more famous than I originally thought but no... it’s not me unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I’d love our game on Monday to be a victim of the weather as I’m due to work so sorry for the selfishness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

LVG interview today
    Van Gaal: 'Most important thing for Manchester United is money'

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/2018/fussball/louis-van-gaal-interview-alaba-mueller-lahm-54945910.sport.html

Thoughts on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The guy is worse than Keane for holding a grudge

Obviously there is a lot of bitterness in the comments, I agree but it leads to a deeper discussion.

If you look at it rationally there is nothing incorrect about what LVG has said, money is important to us and necessary for us to stay in the elite tier or too get back there becuase currently we are not quite there, on the pitch at least.

Then there was the way in which LVG was let go. The club handled it very poorly and disrespectfully . Yes LVG was'nt cutting it but it wasn't a lack of effort, there is a way to properly handle things and in that aspect I think the club failed.

Then you look at the sponsor deals. The Glazers and Woodward have done fantastic deals and its important to eat into that debt, then some deals are a little bizarre and cringey, noodles and tractors etc.

Has some of the focus been lost? Look at City's transfer policy, its been very good imo, they have a great group of youngsters and have invested heavily in youth hence they are at a very high level now, they also sold themselves to Pep as one of the biggest and most exciting projects in football and seem to be coming good on that promise .

At UTD we don't have a director of football and its not quite coming together on the pitch and managerial wise so far.

Has the lcub lost a little focus in one area over commercial/financial success? Just something to think on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Obviously there is a lot of bitterness in the comments, I agree but it leads to a deeper discussion.

If you look at it rationally there is nothing incorrect about what LVG has said, money is important to us and necessary for us to stay in the elite tier or too get back there becuase currently we are not quite there, on the pitch at least.

Then there was the way in which LVG was let go. The club handled it very poorly and disrespectfully . Yes LVG was'nt cutting it but it wasn't a lack of effort, there is a way to properly handle things and in that aspect I think the club failed.

Then you look at the sponsor deals. The Glazers and Woodward have done fantastic deals and its important to eat into that debt, then some deals are a little bizarre and cringey, noodles and tractors etc.

Has some of the focus been lost? Look at City's transfer policy, its been very good imo, they have a great group of youngsters and have invested heavily in youth hence they are at a very high level now, they also sold themselves to Pep as one of the biggest and most exciting projects in football and seem to be coming good on that promise .

At UTD we don't have a director of football and its not quite coming together on the pitch and managerial wise so far.

Has the lcub lost a little focus in one area over commercial/financial success? Just something to think on....

Good points and without going into too much nit picking I agree with the overall point re the club looking at sponsors etc over the results on the pitch.

On a different note the club have taken up their option to extend Ashley Young, Dailey Blind and Sam Jonstones deals by an extra year until 2019

I think the club has made mistakes since fergie retired yes but I don't think there is any less desire there to win.

For sure they want to make money no one is saying otherwise but you could say out of all the money spent especially under Jose every sign was to improve a certain position the pogba deal was a lot of money so yes the club needs to capitalise on his name but lukaku wasn't an advertising buy.

Lvg presided over some of the strangest transfer dealings ever in the club so he can't really judge on clubs focus.

He also said so much stuff about the clubs ambition of what the fans should be wanting and comparing us to other clubs for that I have no pity whatsoever for how he was booted out I loved how he handled the media that's about all he got right.

He is talking about his affection for Bayer one if the biggest hungry grabbing clubs out there. They refuse to readjust how money is spread out in the german leagues because they get the biggest amount each season then they go raid all the other clubs for the best players and nearly always when they are after running down their contracts. They have held back the german league for so long now.

• Advertisement

While the word is that city are doing great things in their academy it is yet to be proven really. But I cant agree that about the transfer policy they have been throwing money at the team for nearly 10 years ( no idea is it 10 years kinda feels like it) they were bound to get some right.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lukaku's equalizer against Chelsea was the 100th goal of José's tenure as Man United boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Lukaku's equalizer against Chelsea was the 100th goal of José's tenure as Man United boss.

League goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While City have spent insane amounts of money,the one thing they did do was add to the squad from a good position of strength.
    We had a fading team that Ferguson won a league with and only now are we seeing the first bit of proper rebuilding.
    We still have no proper wingers and the right side has been woefully neglected. Jose is addressing these issues but LVG's transfers and Moyes not being able to get transfers right put us well behind our blue neighbours.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    astradave wrote: »
    League goal?

No it was 100th goal at old Trafford :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

LVG interview today
    Van Gaal: 'Most important thing for Manchester United is money'

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/2018/fussball/louis-van-gaal-interview-alaba-mueller-lahm-54945910.sport.html

Thoughts on this?

That man is a failed Manchester United manager; his views are meaningless. His tenure was nothing short of disastrous and his bulls..t “philosophy” set the players back years in their development. The man was worse than David Moyes and should be hiding away in shame for fear of bumping into a disgruntled United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the most disappointing thing about LVG was the players he let go for less than half their value. Kagawa, Nani, Evans and Rafael let go for circa 20m total and then the likes of Powell, McNair Blackett and the rest getting gametime? In hindsight that reads like lunacy. That's leaving out a lot of others too.

Liam O wrote: »
    I think the most disappointing thing about LVG was the players he let go for less than half their value. Kagawa, Nani, Evans and Rafael let go for circa 20m total and then the likes of Powell, McNair Blackett and the rest getting gametime? In hindsight that reads like lunacy. That's leaving out a lot of others too.

Yeah he dismantled the club so badly every agrees it had to be done over time but he did did wrong and didn't have a plan of action about what he wanted to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Liam O wrote: »

Would he have had a say in the transfer values? Id have thought the club would negotiate a price, based on whether the player was in the managers plans or not.

Louis Van Gaal commenting on anything to do with Manchester United is akin to David Drumm sharing his views on good governance within the Irish banking sector.

Of course the most important thing is money. It is a business that trades in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The-Shining-e1467238980519-1600x898-1504286544-726x388.jpg

If anyone wants a movie to watch during this weather :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Louis Van Gaal commenting on anything to do with Manchester United is akin to David Drumm sharing his views on good governance within the Irish banking sector.

he was correct in his assessment on how jose treated Schweignsteiger

bangkok wrote: »

he was correct in his assessment on how jose treated Schweignsteiger

How so? Bastien was a has-been when United signed him. He was an abject failure at Old Trafford; Jose demoted him for underperformance and then promoted him before letting him move to the US. There are no hard feeling between Jose and Bastien.

Van Gaal is just a bitter old man who football has passed by; he’s John Giles with a funny accent, and his anti-United comments stem from abject failure at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Arsenal been torn apart too easy here

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »

It's like boys against men.

I'm worried that jizz will start pouring out of my TV with the wankfest of commentary that's going on. Even Neville can't help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm worried that jizz will start pouring out of my TV with the wankfest of commentary that's going on. Even Neville can't help himself.

Don't get me wrong there is some great plays but the defending has been cat

Hococop wrote: »

It’s hard to take, but City are exceptional. They’re basically us in our pomp under Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mkhitaryan, just the guy you want out there now.

A jack russell would put up more fight.

J. Marston wrote: »

Jack russels are little ****ers and always fighting/niggling

One difference between us and city seems to be that as soon as they lose the ball they hunt it down where as we drop off into a defensive shape and invite pressure while relying on the opposition to make a mistake and us to counter.

J. Marston wrote: »

Despite Sanchez having a slow start, we really got the better of that deal. Mhkitarian seems to have no bottle whatsoever; there’s more than a hint of “magic beans” to getting one the league’s best players in exchange for a player who has failed in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Someone on here said the other day Pogba would get in the City team ahead of Gundagan not a hope the lad is awesome , unsong hero in that City midfeild

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Someone on here said the other day Pogba would get in the City team ahead of Gundagan not a hope the lad is awesome , unsong hero in that City midfeild

Opposition teams have so much to worry about trying to mark and cover KDB and David Silva that anyone playing the DM role would have a relatively easy time of it, particularly when the attacking players around you also work their boll0x off to win possession back.

Besides, gundogan is nothing like Pogba in terms of style of play and natural position. Better off comparing him and Matic.

• Advertisement

At least with us playing away to Palace on Monday,the game should go ahead. Seeing the pictures from Manchester we'd have had no hope, getting to the stadium would be a huge problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

ffs arsenal

cant even score a peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

One difference between us and city seems to be that as soon as they lose the ball they hunt it down where as we drop off into a defensive shape and invite pressure while relying on the opposition to make a mistake and us to counter.

Something I use to love about Barcelona a lot more than their ticky fckn tacka was how quickly they could regain possession from any position on the park.

Watching this Game and city really are a world apart at the moment. The transitions between the lines and to the wing from midfield, it so quick and effective, they get from their half to your box with such ease in seconds. Sane looks so dangerous and Bernardo Silva too is starting to shine.

Its hard to resist admiring football of that quality. Such a shame we didn't get Pep, I would love to see his brand of football at Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Watching this Game and city really are a world apart at the moment. The transitions between the lines and to the wing from midfield, it so quick and effective, they get from their half to your box with such ease in seconds. Sane looks so dangerous and Bernardo Silva too is starting to shine.

Its hard to resist admiring football of that quality. Such a shame we didn't get Pep, I would love to see his brand of football at Utd.

Normally I don't take much notice of what Liam Brady says but before the Sevilla game last week when he was criticising Mourinho he claimed that the "real united manager" was across at Man City. I can't help but feel he was right to be honest.

While city have been class tbf

You were going on about the disrespect United showed LVG in letting him go but when Pep has inline for City, Pelegrini was still in charge and with chances to win things that season only for it to fall to pieces after they announced Pep.

We were at least technically never in for Pep as LVG was doing moderately ok to good at the time with us.

I wonder if we had signed Pep under them circumstances would you view on LVG be different aswell?

• Advertisement

While city have been class tbf

You were going on about the disrespect United showed LVG in letting him go but when Pep has inline for City, Pelegrini was still in charge and with chances to win things that season only for it to fall to pieces after they announced Pep.

We were at least technically never in for Pep as LVG was doing moderately ok to good at the time with us.

I wonder if we had signed Pep under them circumstances would you view on LVG be different aswell?

Bit of a weird question but of course my views would be the same. Yes City were also disrespectful to Pelegrini as much as UTD were to LVG, both were handled poorly.

Yes I would have loved Pep and if UTD went about it the same way City went about I would have been happy with the acquisition of Pep but could still have acknowledged a less then ideal way to out the current manager.

I don't have to pick between either scenario, two wrongs don't make a right but what I will say if you have to out a manager somewhat unceremoniously to get a very sought after manager, I think City got the hottest property out there and the bad feeling left behind was more worthy of the bad blood to get Pep rather than Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pep knew he’d get the fincancial backing to build a team of killers. Why else would he pick Manchester City as a supposed football purist. The players he bought and inherited are a different level.

We are actually having a good season, a season that reflects the squad we have. 7 or 8 good players but never going to really threaten a top team or win a CL. We have a lot of players who go missing consistently and nobody who plays to a high level every week. We are kidding ourselves if we believe any manager in football could get this group to perform consistently for 8 months to win the league. The first thing Pep would do in charge is buy 5 new players.

Marginally better than Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs is not bad, although we need to be very careful as Liverpool have made significant grounds in my view in terms of their squad and have players to come in, and Chelsea have a similar squad but have underperformed.

Next season we need Pogba to just stop being average or be dropped. His performances are not good enough and positions and tactics are a silly excuse. Hopefully Sanchez will grow into the team, but we need a wide player. Martial, Mata and Lingard aren’t starting for a title winning team, that is the reality. Lukaku has done well and will improve, another midfielder is needed and we need to sort out the fullback problem too.

We need at least 3 players, and also hope City don’t go crazy again.

Bit of a weird question but of course my views would be the same. Yes City were also disrespectful to Pelegrini as much as UTD were to LVG, both were handled poorly.

Yes I would have loved Pep and if UTD went about it the same way City went about I would have been happy with the acquisition of Pep but could still have acknowledged a less then ideal way to out the current manager.

I don't have to pick between either scenario, two wrongs don't make a right but what I will say if you have to out a manager somewhat unceremoniously to get a very sought after manager, I think City got the hottest property out there and the bad feeling left behind was more worthy of the bad blood to get Pep rather than Jose.

Sorry for the weirdness :) and thats a fair response.

Its just some people use everything Jose based as a negative and I was wondering how you would have felt it pep instead.

People talk about Pep at united but we don't have a clue if he ever wanted it or maybe he had a choice looked at the 2 squads and choose citys

I'm not even sure we were ever in for him given how LVG was doing at the time

Sorry for the weirdness :) and thats a fair response.

Its just some people use everything Jose based as a negative and I was wondering how you would have felt it pep instead.

People talk about Pep at united but we don't have a clue if he ever wanted it or maybe he had a choice looked at the 2 squads and choose citys

I'm not even sure we were ever in for him given how LVG was doing at the time

No worries :pac:

I'm not anti Jose even if it s seems that way, I'm all for giving him more time but we are playing some dour football lately and our form has been wildly inconsistent since the City defeat, so it must be called out.

I was advocating for LVG and even Moyes to be given more time despite their failings so I do find it a bit of of a standard when there is such a pushback against criticism of Jose but people have every right to do that.

I would like to see our squad issues sorted this summer and a serious title push next season with more creative football. If Jose cant do that given the money spent I think its time to float serious questions of a replacement as he will have had more time than LVG and Moyes by then.

Given City's level and if they can maintain that, I'm not even looking at a title win but a better push. Right now though we deserve a better level of football.

No worries :pac:

I'm not anti Jose even if it s seems that way, I'm all for giving him more time but we are playing some dour football lately and our form has been wildly inconsistent since the City defeat, so it must be called out.

I was advocating for LVG and even Moyes to be given more time despite their failings so I do find it a bit of of a standard when there is such a pushback against criticism of Jose but people have every right to do that.

I would like to see our squad issues sorted this summer and a serious title push next season with more creative football. If Jose cant do that given the money spent I think its time to float serious questions of a replacement as he will have had more time than LVG and Moyes by then.

Given City's level and if they can maintain that, I'm not even looking at a title win but a better push. Right now though we deserve a better level of football.

Ya I'd agree with that. And while the football has been poor at time under Jose I do feel he had improved the squad and first team with good signings so even if/when he leaves whoever comes in after wont have such a big rebuild job to do and will be able to get straight to putting their stamp on the team.

I do feel more hopefull after the Chelsea game we are moving in the right direction but as we all know its the hope that kills ya :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement