Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

What would be the point though?

Are United strapped for cash and need to free up the wages? Do we need the transfer revenue to pay some bills we couldn't otherwise meet?

Why sell a player now, if we don't need the money, if we can't replace them - still a long way to go in the season and 3 competitions to compete in. We don't know what players we are going to need, or when.

Spot on. Wasn't it just after last January's clear out we had a dreadful injury list? We still have Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Shaw who are likely to miss parts of the remaining season. Blind may be well down the pecking order but his versatility can't be understated.
    And he won't be looking to leave now to protect a world cup place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember Nick Powell,it seems Brighton, Bournemouth,Swansea and Palace are all looking at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’d love Arsenal to tell Chelsea to feck off at last minute and leave them with no-one.. Conte could walk :D

• Never Forget

Ozil signs contract :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Remember Nick Powell,it seems Brighton, Bournemouth,Swansea and Palace are all looking at him.

He has been outstanding this year. However that has been in League One. Would think it would be a bit of a risk for a PL side to rely on him just yet. Crazy to think he's still only 23, seems like he's been around forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was just looking at the, so called Fair Play 2, regulations coming in this summer. Rather than focusing on a club being able to spend it's profits there is a regulation setting a limit on the amount clubs can buy before they have to sell.

No club will be allowed a deficit of more than 100m euro in any season. So clubs will have to sell to buy. This appears to make it very difficult for a club to buy a superstar even if they have the profit.

I am wondering how this will affect us versus City PSG etc ?

Edit: They are also imposing only 25 players over 21 in a squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »

Meh he opted for mediocrity. Let him on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »

Yeah. Agreed with that. It certainly seems he's decided he'd rather get a paycheque at a team struggling for top four, than move up a step. Fairplay, and on we move quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Would have like Ozil but not sure he'd work out at united defo think we should get someone with more pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. Agreed with that. It certainly seems he's decided he'd rather get a paycheque at a team struggling for top four, than move up a step. Fairplay, and on we move quickly.

Could be that he is looking at the direction Arsenal are going and thinks he (and the players they are targeting for the summer) will have them competing.

He may have been told, and given assurances, over the short term transfer backing the squad is going to get. Might also have insight on Wenger's future etc.

Just as I think it was unfair to label Sanchez a merc, the same courtesy has to be applied to Ozil, imo.

Had he signed for United, for example, the pay probably would have been just as good - so I don't think wages were the sole factor here.

Could be that he is looking at the direction Arsenal are going and thinks he (and the players they are targeting for the summer) will have them competing.

He may have been told, and given assurances, over the short term transfer backing the squad is going to get. Might also have insight on Wenger's future etc.

Just as I think it was unfair to label Sanchez a merc, the same courtesy has to be applied to Ozil, imo.

Had he signed for United, for example, the pay probably would have been just as good - so I don't think wages were the sole factor here.

No but id say he is happy with the lifestyle, pay package, no consequence if they lose, zero pressure, no title or european ambitions, just a club to make money for the owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Discodog wrote: »
    I was just looking at the, so called Fair Play 2, regulations coming in this summer. Rather than focusing on a club being able to spend it's profits there is a regulation setting a limit on the amount clubs can buy before they have to sell.

No club will be allowed a deficit of more than 100m euro in any season. So clubs will have to sell to buy. This appears to make it very difficult for a club to buy a superstar even if they have the profit.

I am wondering how this will affect us versus City PSG etc ?

Edit: They are also imposing only 25 players over 21 in a squad.

Going to see far more swap deals like Sanchez/Miki to get around this a little.

Think its well possible that we'd have offered comparative wages, given he'd have been in on a free.

I just don't see how you'd look at the direction Arsenal are going verses the direction we're going, and take the paycheque at Arsenal. They've regressed massively this year. I'm in agreement with Bangkok when he says...

"No but id say he is happy with the lifestyle, pay package, no consequence if they lose, zero pressure, no title or european ambitions, just a club to make money for the owners "

Arsenal are a dumpster fire now, and have shown very little ambition for years now. Fair play if he's happy to be the star player at a team battling for forth. Id have liked him at United, but I'm not as heartbroken over this one now we've got Sanchez.

I'd imagine it will let us focus on a proper CM as well come the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This has been an impressive window for Arsenal tbh. Özil may just believe they are moving in the right direction.

paulbok wrote: »
    Going to see far more swap deals like Sanchez/Miki to get around this a little.

that only works if the value of the players being swapped is considered to be the same. If Sanchez had 3 years left on his contract that swap would not have happened or would have had 10's of millions on top.

Players still have a value, that has to be accounted for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Think its well possible that we'd have offered comparative wages, given he'd have been in on a free.

I just don't see how you'd look at the direction Arsenal are going verses the direction we're going, and take the paycheque at Arsenal. They've regressed massively this year. I'm in agreement with Bangkok when he says...

"No but id say he is happy with the lifestyle, pay package, no consequence if they lose, zero pressure, no title or european ambitions, just a club to make money for the owners "

Arsenal are a dumpster fire now, and have shown very little ambition for years now. Fair play if he's happy to be the star player at a team battling for forth. Id have liked him at United, but I'm not as heartbroken over this one now we've got Sanchez.

I'd imagine it will let us focus on a proper CM as well come the summer.

Buy Fred NOW :D

pjohnson wrote: »
    This has been an impressive window for Arsenal tbh. Özil may just believe they are moving in the right direction.

Signing Ozil to a new contract is great news.

I don't rate Mkhi at all, and don't think a new club will do much for him. I think they've taken a massive step backwards with their attempt to replace Sanchez with him.

Auba could go either way; he did great in Germany but that doesn't translate always (don't we know it) and he's very obviously got massive behavioral issues.

EDIT: Thats before we get to the fact they've sold their top scorers, Sanchez and Giroud, for the last three years to two direct rivals as well.

Be interesting to see if they can turn the season around, but I think the best they can hope for at this stage, as per usual, is 4th.

pjohnson wrote: »

It feels weird, to me, though.

Auba doesn't replace Sanchez positionally - feels more like direct competition for Lacazette. Losing Giroud to get the deal done also feels odd - they now lack the 'other option' Giroud offered.

It seems Arsene has been playing Fifa 17 a bit too much lately.. he’s gone full pace whore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

bangkok wrote: »

I think that’s harsh, they do look to be building a nice team now and making some good signings. Arsenal have also won as much as United in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Johner wrote: »
    I think that’s harsh, they do look to be building a nice team now and making some good signings. Arsenal have also won as much as United in the last 3 years.

Possibly building a nice team but the biggest thing they need at this stage is not new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Was just about to post that above tweet, Ballague really cant hide his hate for UTD, he's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is tonights game been shown on any TV Channel ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Xenophile wrote: »

Live on BT 1 and hundreds of stations around the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

It's on BT sports

Edit: **** you guys!

Though it’s probably on plenty of others in countries around the world :D

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »

Nice team.

Thats where arsenal have gone wrong for the past 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Signing Ozil to a new contract is great news.

I don't rate Mkhi at all, and don't think a new club will do much for him. I think they've taken a massive step backwards with their attempt to replace Sanchez with him.

Auba could go either way; he did great in Germany but that doesn't translate always (don't we know it) and he's very obviously got massive behavioral issues.

EDIT: Thats before we get to the fact they've sold their top scorers, Sanchez and Giroud, for the last three years to two direct rivals as well.

Be interesting to see if they can turn the season around, but I think the best they can hope for at this stage, as per usual, is 4th.

I agree, think it very much remains to be seen if this is/was an impressive window for Arsenal. I'm not overly impressed when I look their team now to be honest. It doesn't seem very balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My guess with Ozil is that he's a big fish in a small pond and will always start at Arsenal. There were rumours (at Madrid) that he likes a night out and being a big player at a club does afford you more leniency in these sort of things so I would say his lifestyle might of played a factor.

If money is the same on the table and you were to join United or city over Arsenal, I would say that you want to win things. Joining Arsenal over the other two wouldn't suggest you are ambitious from a footballing perspective, more you feel you would be more happy with the other conditions that comes with the deal (like a choice of living in Manchester or London!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

When will we find out the day and time of our next FA Cup match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think it's incredibly harsh to criticise Ozil and say it's only for the money for staying at Arsenal. Showing a bit of (well paid) loyalty is rare enough in this age and if someone in any walk of life is happy in their work and where they live then staying there shouldn't be perceived as a bad thing. Unless your name is Shearer.

I met Ballague once, I can confirm he's an arsehole who's full of his own self importance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I met Ballague once, I can confirm he's an arsehole who's full of his own self importance.

Bangkok has taken cantonas collars phone!!!!!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bangkok has taken cantonas collars phone!!!!!

IIRC Bangkok likes Balague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Don't you dare go all bangkok on us mate...

BTW i played soccer with Xabi alonso as a teen, can say he was sound lad for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

brinty wrote: »

BTW i played soccer with Xabi alonso as a teen, can say he was sound lad for sure

I thought he only hurled that summer?? :confused:

brinty wrote: »

Playing fifa does not count for playing with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ozil gets a stein of mead everyday and £200,001 a week he's special

City going all out for Mahrez,£65 million including a player going the other way is their final offer.......and Pep is broke??

City going all out for Mahrez,£65 million including a player going the other way is their final offer.......and Pep is broke??

What player?

Jayop wrote: »
    I thought he only hurled that summer?? :confused:

He hurled from some of the kicks we gave him in frustration. But he took it all in his stride. But i'm quite proud his penalties improved under my tutelage... :rolleyes:
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Playing fifa does not count for playing with someone.

Feck off you know well that story.

Kirsty has the guns out on SSN.

Ozil gets a stein of mead everyday and £200,001 a week he's special

I hear its a gold plated and diamond encrusted stein made from waterford crystal....

Its valued at £100k a week to hire....

What player?

Dunno, it's just breaking on Sky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Kirsty has the guns out on SSN.

Reported.

Come on man, pics for those stuck in work :)

Kirsty booooom!!!!!! <3

What player?

Laporte

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement