Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Drumpot wrote: »
    Team is 2-0 down - sack Jose
    Team wins 3-2 - well played team

Manager very composed and did well.

Or

Team is 2-0 ****ing Ed Woodward, always getting a pass. His fault
    Team wins 3-2, well done Jose, very composed. Did well

:D

Ah sure I suppose we can all laugh now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

adox wrote: »
    Not trying to have a go at you but surely Pogba does too? I thought the two of them were Utds worst players over the 90 minutes.

lo3XbR3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well played Jose. Good to see the fans writing him off so quickly giving him some credit ... Oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully now Shaw will be starting ahead of Young going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Thought Lukaku has been head and shoulders our best player the last few games.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Massive 3 points that was and hopefully the dressing room is buzzing now after that late winner but we will need to play much better on saturday or we will be hammered.

Sanchez also needs a huge kick up the hole couldnt believe how bad he was

Yeah himself and Pogba were utter ****e for the majority of it. Both had a big say in the win in the end though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As I said already, a complete overreaction in here

Wonderful result to win that after going 2-0 down

The spirit is in this team

And credit to Jose he made the right changes at the right time in the game

I literally screamed my head off with that winner, the wife is actually not talking to me lol, told me to **** off and calm down :pac:

I honestly don’t think there were many if any over reactions Mick. We were awful. The result doesn’t change that really.

There’s still quite a lot wrong and it keeps repeating itself. We turned it around tonight which is great and I’m buzzing but let’s not ignore or underplay that first 60 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

For all the neutrals that have suddenly gone missing

duf_Znd_N.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Woeful first half but the response after going 2 nil down was very encouraging. I'd say it's been a while since we won a game after going 2 down. Seems like a long time since we had a late winner too, nice to have that feeling back.

I love when you're in this mood.

*hugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mata needs to play instead of Sanchez on Saturday. Got away with a player giving the ball away 30 times against Palace, will be severely punished against Liverpool.

Mata does the simple things well and is capable of special moments too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

People talking absolutely pony about Pogba for weeks now and again I'm seeing comments tonight like 'can't play simple passes'.

Pogba was the only player in the last 5 minutes, along with Mata, who was trying to get the team playing. Palace were out on their feet and Mourinho knew it and was screaming at the team to pass the ball. Sanchez was ridiculous with his decision making.

Pogba has had 2-3 poor games recently. Spurs game stands out but Mourinho got that game completely wrong from a tactical point of view. Still doesn't excuse Pogba's performance in that game. He was clearly carrying a knock in Newcastle game, shouldn't have played.

Other than De Gea, Pogba is by a considerable distance United's best and most important player imo. He get's the team up the pitch and creates chances. He is not the finished article by any means however. The team is lacking balance and I think its vital Mourinho gets his recruitment in the summer right.

Matic has been getting away with murder for the past number of months. The odd good game but I think he's been passive too often. Was patchy again tonight but what a winner.

Sanchez needs to let the game come to him. Trying to hard. It will come I think though.

Mata must play next weekend.

De Gea is ridiculous

Well played Jose. Good to see the fans writing him off so quickly giving him some credit ... Oh wait...

Do you need every post to mention it? Cause it has been mentioned, by more then one of us.

I haven't wrote him off though at any point so maybe I don't count. Do you have to have wrote him off for your credit to have some credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I honestly don’t think there were many if any over reactions Mick. We were awful. The result doesn’t change that really.

There’s still quite a lot wrong and it keeps repeating itself. We turned it around tonight which is great and I’m buzzing but let’s not ignore or underplay that first 60 minutes.

Ah now c'mon.

Was like a disgruntled playground

Headshot wrote: »

I wouldn't hold your breath dude.

Or

Team is 2-0 ****ing Ed Woodward, always getting a pass. His fault
    Team wins 3-2, well done Jose, very composed. Did well

:D

Ah sure I suppose we can all laugh now

Woodward is a clown. He’s the one constant during United’s last 5 years. Been saying it for years. He’s nothing on his CV that warrants the support he gets.

Jose is one of the top coach’s in the world and proven over and over again in his profession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mata needs to play instead of Sanchez on Saturday. Got away with a player giving the ball away 30 times against Palace, will be severely punished against Liverpool.

Especially against Liverpool #juanfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Headshot wrote: »

I don't think it will happen and I'd love to see it. Don't think Jose trusts him at all even when he had those run of good games.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a LB bought in the summer.

In fairness to J. Martson though, the likes of Herrera, Matic and Pogba haven't exactly filled us with confidence when they step up to take a shot with many of their previous attempts.

Actually...well done J. Marston, you put the reverse jinx on Matic and maybe there's a method to your 'match live' scorching of some players.

On the subject of CMs...

Thought McTom did alright. We can't expect too much from him yet, just to be solid, and I thought he was that.

Pogba had one of those games, and his performances of late can be summed up perfectly by Gennaro Gattuso...

Pogba is by no means out of his poor patch yet, and it's not even his non-effect on our attacking play which is irritating me in particular. His attitude just seems off.

For example, it was around 77 minutes and 2-2 when Palace were putting a rare attack together - Pogba just stood and watched their player pick up the initial winnable ball in CM, then made a half-ass attempt to pursue when he saw that he was the nearest United player to the Palace wide attacker. Palace still got their ball in across goal and we were lucky to punt it clear.

That Palace attack at an important time in the game should not have happened in the first place, except for the apparent nonplussed attitude of Pogba. He just seems way too laid back at times when the team needs him to be more involved.

Not scathing Pogba. Rather than just saying 'Pogba was pathetic', I'm offering at least one detailed reason why. We need much more from him in our next match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    Great mentality shown by Lukaku tonight I thought. Was a leader when the team were looking lost and not afraid to give anyone a dressing down.

Also running to cover full back late on when Van Aanholt ran forward showed some morw awareness/maturity. Don't want him doing it often, like Rooney used to, but that tracking back was important in that moment.

Won’t happen and shouldn’t anyway imo.

Sure we will have Mata having a couple of poor games and people saying he should be dropped.

I’d have as pacy a forward line as possible against Liverpool. I think Mata might get swallowed up by Liverpool’s press if he starts.

Anyway there is zero chance of a fit Sanchez not starting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How the **** have Sky picked Smalling MOTM.

Don't mind me:P

yabadabado wrote: »

It was Jose.

Just realized I get bonus points for Valencia assist... sweet.

yabadabado wrote: »

Jose picked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Hate to say it but I wouldn't blame Jose for his usual big-game antics against Liverpool - a piss-poor draw would be a wise result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've no hair left to pull out Saturday, it will be distressing one way or the other Salah isn't Suarez but he's still better than most of our defence can handle another performance like tonight and we'll be picked clean hit em hard hit em fast get an early lead and try to isolate their centre and cut off the supply line and we just might do them, they like to pass the ball mainly through two or three players isolate them and they will falter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hate to say it but I wouldn't blame Jose for his usual big-game antics against Liverpool - a piss-poor draw would be a wise result.

Playing a high line, swashbuckling football isnutter suicide against Pool.

Just need to make sure we know how to actually launch a counter attack this time

Yeh I fear you might be Right. In saying that , with a 9 point cushion it would be nice to go toe to toe with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Am I alone in thinking Palace's 2nd goal shouldn't have stood? The advantage they got which led to the goal was purely a result of taking a quick free kick about 5 or 6 feet away from where the foul for the free actually happened. A free kick outside the box and the ref will mark with spray exactly where the free should be taken based on where the offense occurred. Linesmen are very particular about a corner being taken within, or on the line of the quadrant and we regularly see players being called up on it and told to reposition the ball. A player can be called offside for even the slightest hint of a goalscoring bodypart being ahead of the last defender. Why then are the officials so lax when it comes to goalscoring advantages which arise from taking a free kick in an obviously incorrect position further out in the pitch? If Palace took the free from where the foul actually happened then they most likely don't score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If ever you want an example of how Sky look for an angle to create controversy, it's them looking for an offside in a 30 yard strike from Matic. Coincidentally, they have not looked at the Matic foul in the lead up to their second goal.

Lingard playing as a sort of fullback made a big difference in the second half on the right hand side. Not for one minute suggesting playing him there but he’s the sort of guy that makes the most of and finds space.

Think he could be very important at the weekend.

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Fúck this playstyle. Lump it, lump it, lump it against Roy Hodgson's Palace who have an injury crisis.

It's pathetic.
    Quandary wrote: »
    There aren't many teams in the l3ague playing worse football than us right now.

Slow, turgid, unimaginative and desperately predictable.

All that coupled with the players not completing 5 yard passes and falling over the ball.

Pogba in particular has been shockingly poor.

Bitterly disappointing, and infuriating.
    Fúck these players, to be honest. Chelsea lose yesterday, Liverpool go ahead of us and they put on this performance against one of the worst teams in the league.

Also, fúck Mourinho if he doesn't change to wingers in the second half.
    Woeful performance. Unfortunately it’s something iv come to expect. Just a bunch of individuals out into a team.
    We have some very good players but we are a sh*t team.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    McTominay has been crap too, just remember that if we win and someone wants to claim he was excellent! :)

We will limp to a 4th place finish this year and it’ll be seen as a step in the right direction but we will be further from winning the league as City have gone so far ahead of where Chelsea were last year.
    It's been obvious for most of the season that our attacking play is poor. They either aren't coached very well or aren't coached at all in terms of attacking moves. We bring a genuinely world class attacker into our side in January and it makes no noticeable difference to how we play whatsoever. Just a different name struggling to perform in our disjointed attack.
    Are we arsenal in disguise
    Matic is a fúcking idiot.

@Adox

Now I'm not trying to stick it to these posters. (I love you all :)) So please don't take offence but IMO this is the type of overreactions I'm talking about

It was a poor half against a side battling for points

We pretty much dominated the 2nd half, I even think we started it the minute it kicked off bar the lapse in concentration for the 2nd Palace goal

But as I said this was a great comeback whatever anyone wants to say

And when I read the above while we sit 2nd in the League behind a team who are playing on another level then I do think it's a complete overreaction every week in here when something goes wrong

This criticism against this Utd team is deserved at times and I've done it myself multiple times but no need for it to be consistently over the top

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think Snachez gives the ball away alot in geneal but jt is worse now as he has a greater sense of urgency and want to force things. At United he does not have an Ozil.

I would bw interested to see both of Sanchez and Mata v Liverpool. Mata knits stuff together and with him in, maybe Sanchez can make runs rather than coming to the ball and needing to force it.

Liverpool game is great example of why Jose wants/wanted Pogba to be able to play with Matic. So he can get Mata in the team and still use Lingard or Martial. Pogba could play ball long quickly to Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingard/Martial or shorter to Mata to slow things down and build up play as required. He can't go with that though so it will be interesting to see what happens, might just go with what faced Chelsea again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

That comeback was incredible. We were appalling for more than 60 minutes, really really bad, but to come back and win from 2 nil down meant digging deep and bit of fighting spirit which I didn't think we had in us.

Brilliant 3 points but our performance in the early parts of games lately are a huge cause for concern

Next week I expect Jose to drag Liverpool down into the mud with us. It won't be a pretty match but as long as the result is the right one I couldn't give a hoot.

All that bwing said, our performances really need to start improving, both from an individual pov a team pov.

If ever you want an example of how Sky look for an angle to create controversy, it's them looking for an offside in a 30 yard strike from Matic. Coincidentally, they have not looked at the Matic foul in the lead up to their second goal.

They did beforehand to be fair and said it wasn’t a foul.

Thought the rgame f should have called the play back too. Free wasn’t taken from the correct position.

• Advertisement

My criticism is borne of frustration.

Why does it take us to go behind before we try and play a bit.

Wtf is wrong with the players that they don't go out and burst their bollix from the start rather than waiting til the second half or when our backs are against the wall.

We want to be challenging for the big trophies and the level of performance we have put in time and again is simply not good enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

It was a Fergie-esque comeback.

A great result and importantly it looks like Top 4 is probable with a 9 point cushion and Chelsea playing Spurs and Liverpool.

However, some really dark clouds in there; Pogba, Sanchez, and Lindelof were absolutely toxic...they were horrendous. Sanchez has looked like a fella who won a competition to play for United...bizarre really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They did beforehand to be fair and said it wasn’t a foul.

Thought the rgame f should have called the play back too. Free wasn’t taken from the correct position.

Must have missed that. Consider me back in my box

Lingard playing as a sort of fullback made a big difference in the second half on the right hand side. Not for one minute suggesting playing him there but he’s the sort of guy that makes the most of and finds space.

Think he could be very important at the weekend.

He'd do well as a wing back in a 352 I reckon which if I remember correctly LVG picked him in his first league game untill he got injured in it

It was a Fergie-esque comeback.

A great result and importantly it looks like Top 4 is probable with a 9 point cushion and Chelsea playing Spurs and Liverpool.

However, some really dark clouds in there; Pogba, Sanchez, and Lindelof were absolutely toxic...they were horrendous. Sanchez has looked like a fella who won a competition to play for United...bizarre really.

I think Sanchez did well his first few games. He’s been brutal the last two games for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    @Adox

Now I'm not trying to stick it to these posters. (I love you all :)) So please don't take offence but IMO this is the type of overreactions I'm talking about

It was a poor half against a side battling for points

We pretty much dominated the 2nd half, I even think we started it the minute it kicked off bar the lapse in concentration for the 2nd Palace goal

But as I said this was a great comeback whatever anyone wants to say

And when I read the above while we sit 2nd in the League behind a team who are playing on another level then I do think it's a complete overreaction every week in here when something goes wrong

This criticism against this Utd team is deserved at times and I've done it myself multiple times but no need for it to be consistently over the top

We were sh*t for the majority of that match. Sh*t for a lot of the Chelsea game. Sh*t against Sevilla. Sh*t against Newcastle...

That last 35 minutes tonight was great but that’s not what we’ve been used to lately. Don’t kid yourself into thinking that’s how we play.

Sanchez did create 2 or 3 decent chances in the first half even playing so poorly he is a very high risk player which is also more acceptable from a winger and he works his bollocks off for the team so you can't question his effort.

We will need that work ethic versus Liverpool so hopefully he cant reduce the errors. I do like that he tries to play through the middle more as its something Ive felt we have lacked but he did way over do it tonight.

Also fair dues Lukakua didnt see much of the 2nd half due to dodgy internet but sounds encouraging

• We were sh*t for the majority of that match. Sh*t for a lot of the Chelsea game. Sh*t against Sevilla. Sh*t against Newcastle...

That last 35 minutes tonight was great but that’s not what we’ve been used to lately. Don’t kid yourself into thinking that’s how we play.

Newcastle, yep I hold my hands up
    And I was utterly browned off but that was Joses fault as much as the players IMO

Oh I'm not kidding myself, I just want to wait until the end of the game to Judge a performance

We still beat Chelsea
    We still got a draw away at Sevilla

All room to improve, just not as bad as some make it out to be that's my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pogba shouldn't get massive praise for "getting the team up the pitch". Was this the one or two times towards the end when he ran with the ball through the middle with palace playing deep and nobody around him?

He takes too much out of the ball, he trotts back when we lose the ball a lot, his positional sense off the ball sometimes is bizarre, and he always, like Sanchez, has two or three misplaced easy balls per game.

He has talent, physicality and speed, and he will improve. I have no confidence in him doing a job.

Lukaku was good tonight, Mata was excellent when he came on. De gea another worldy.

Shaw and Lindelof at times make Smalling look good. Our defense is shaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Lindelof needs to get back on the bench. Such a cowardly player. Some people seem to think he has settled in but he’s just sh*te now instead of unbelievably sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Defensively terrible all match imo. Lucky not to concede a 3rd after the equaliser - great save from ddg.

Both centre backs were dominated all match in the air and we were second to the second ball every time.

Don't know what tactics Jose was trying to employ in the first half. Unless we were just ignoring the tactical plan. No width, everyone compacting the centre. Needed to use young and valencia wide much more and needed Pogba getting beyond the midfield rather than sitting back. Dunno whether Pogba was instructed to play simpler and more in midfield or just wasn't arsed trying to get into attacking positions.

Bleh.

Got out of jail massively, that was not a good performance.

We were sh*t for the majority of that match. Sh*t for a lot of the Chelsea game. Sh*t against Sevilla. Sh*t against Newcastle...

I don’t think anybody is under any illusion with regards to the quality of football being played. Certainly Not enough to win the league.

But after over 75% of the season, it’s enough for second spot. That’s progress when benchmarked against the last 5 seasons. We don’t have to be happy with the football but some fans need to take a step back and reflect on where the club has come from even 2 seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sanchez had a shocking game but it genuinely looked like he was over trying at times, forgivable to an extent in his 5th league game with us.

Pogba has very little to hide behind now, and I think the media will get on him very soon.

Cannot fault Lukaku’s work rate and his season as a whole has been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Woodward is a clown. He’s the one constant during United’s last 5 years. Been saying it for years. He’s nothing on his CV that warrants the support he gets.

Jose is one of the top coach’s in the world and proven over and over again in his profession.

Have you anything to substantiate this opinion? evidence or facts will do.

Woodward has signed some fantastic players for us, some haven't worked out but that's not his fault, how can anyone predict whether a signing will be good or not?

He's got us marquee names, signed some of our direct rivals best players, got some non-marquee decent players the managers have asked for and got Rooney to sign a contract at a time when it was unsure. I can't think of what more he could done.

Its laughable he is getting blamed still years later for goings on on the pitch when he has nothing to do with team selection and training.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement