Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sanchez had a shocking game but it genuinely looked like he was over trying at times, forgivable to an extent in his 5th league game with us.

Pogba has very little to hide behind now, and I think the media will get on him very soon.

Cannot fault Lukaku’s work rate and his season as a whole has been good.
    Get on Pogba? TF you talking about? They've been at him since he arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Drumpot wrote: »
    Woodward is a clown. He’s the one constant during United’s last 5 years. Been saying it for years. He’s nothing on his CV that warrants the support he gets.

Jose is one of the top coach’s in the world and proven over and over again in his profession.

Woodward is a clown? How so and what do you do for a living??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I was thinking the same thing, wtf are they going to do to him now :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't know what Woodward has to do with any discussions about the teams on field fortunes.

He has signed the players he was asked to sign in the main and does not interfere in any way with footballing activities.

He is great imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Why was there even a match thread, barely a United fan posting in there? Nothing too gloaty in there even when we were two down. A 3-0 win the weekend would be ideal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Maybe Sourness and Carragher have, but I think the neutral media will start to get on his back. The narrative I’ve been reading in the papers the last couple of months is that Jose is holding him back and the formations and the tactics, rather than him being generally shít

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I don’t think anybody is under any illusion with regards to the quality of football being played. Certainly Not enough to win the league.

But after over 75% of the season, it’s enough for second spot. That’s progress when benchmarked against the last 5 seasons. We don’t have to be happy with the football but some fans need to take a step back and reflect on where the club has come from even 2 seasons ago.

A lot of times during that 75% you are talking about we have been lucky that the opposition were too poor too punish us or that DDG worked a miracle for us yet again. Tonight both happened, great save at 2-2 and Palace were attacking strong after that and squandered chances with poor delivery in the final third.

Again we started so poor and devoid of creation until we went behind, just like we did with Chelsea. We got away with it tonight, it could have easily gone the other way, if we keep doing this we won't finish second, better teams will take advantage.

As for Pogba getting the ball up the pitch at the end? If that's what warrants praise now, well we have lowered the bar sl low for what good is if that's the case. He was hands down our worst player out their tonight (Sanchez a close 2nd), nothing praise worthy imo, he botched simple passes time and time again. Before Matics goal he attempted a shot that was swinging wide by quite a bit, he was rash and disinterested tonight as he has been in a lot of games.

Yes we showed good heart after we went 2 goals down but that should not be the case, we should start better and maintain a high level throughout. Our form is not good and this lucky win has again papered over the cracks. Starting like this against Pool will be very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    @Adox

Now I'm not trying to stick it to these posters. (I love you all :)) So please don't take offence but IMO this is the type of overreactions I'm talking about

It was a poor half against a side battling for points

We pretty much dominated the 2nd half, I even think we started it the minute it kicked off bar the lapse in concentration for the 2nd Palace goal

But as I said this was a great comeback whatever anyone wants to say

And when I read the above while we sit 2nd in the League behind a team who are playing on another level then I do think it's a complete overreaction every week in here when something goes wrong

This criticism against this Utd team is deserved at times and I've done it myself multiple times but no need for it to be consistently over the top

Ha. You’ve purposely left out your mates in these carefully selected examples. Dying for some likes?

My comment was half a joke (regarding McTominay) and half realism considering ours, Spurs’s, and Liverpools run ins. There were comments from others going mental who you obviously didn’t want to call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have you anything to substantiate this opinion? evidence or facts will do.

Woodward has signed some fantastic players for us, some haven't worked out but that's not his fault, how can anyone predict whether a signing will be good or not?

He's got us marquee names, signed some of our direct rivals best players, got some non-marquee decent players the managers have asked for and got Rooney to sign a contract at a time when it was unsure. I can't think of what more he could done.

Its laughable he is getting blamed still years later for goings on on the pitch when he has nothing to do with team selection and training.

There’s no coordinated transfer strategy since he took over. First season he was pathetic. Made a balls of the fellani transfer while flying around the world failing to convince anybody join the English champions. Buys mata (wonderful player who is one of my favorite) to make him look good when mata was never going fit into a Moyes team in any scenario! Doesn’t matter Moyes was sacked, it was the first example of a player being bought for the look of it as opposed to what the team needed.

There are plenty of signings that haven’t worked out (like Di maria) or that the club didn’t need. Funny to read people giving out about how they wish we had a player who could cross and the one player we missed out on was a winger.

I don’t rate Woodward cause he has a near blank chequebook so he should be able to make big signings. Let’s rememeber sanchez is only at united because city pulled out so let’s not pretend.

And yes, he has played a role in the state of the squad, the managers who have come in and the deficiencies. That’s what he’s paid for. But his qualifications are in marketing and it’s where he excelled. It’s hard not to feel like sometimes the marketing potential of players is such an important role when under Fergie and Gill it was always about improving the squad and first team.

• Advertisement

• A lad, you ****ing legend. He did the same thing as me in the sitting room!

https://twitter.com/TheManUtdWay/status/970787384592863232?s=19

There’s no coordinated transfer strategy since he took over. First season he was pathetic. Made a balls of the fellani transfer while flying around the world failing to convince anybody join the English champions. Buys mata (wonderful player who is one of my favorite) to make him look good when mata was never going fit into a Moyes team in any scenario! Doesn’t matter Moyes was sacked, it was the first example of a player being bought for the look of it as opposed to what the team needed.

There are plenty of signings that haven’t worked out (like Di maria) or that the club didn’t need. Funny to read people giving out about how they wish we had a player who could cross and the one player we missed out on was a winger.

I don’t rate Woodward cause he has a near blank chequebook so he should be able to make big signings. Let’s rememeber sanchez is only at united because city pulled out so let’s not pretend.

And yes, he has played a role in the state of the squad, the managers who have come in and the deficiencies. That’s what he’s paid for. But his qualifications are in marketing and it’s where he excelled. It’s hard not to feel like sometimes the marketing potential of players is such an important role when under Fergie and Gill it was always about improving the squad and first team.

He signs who the manager wants and he has success in doing that while also doing a brilliant job as ceo of the club

bangkok wrote: »
    Woodward is a clown? How so and what do you do for a living??

The kind of job that doesn’t involve profesional coaching, training or playing. Lack of these qualifications Doesn’t seem to slow down the banter in here I’m not sure why Woodward (glazers stooge) is such a sacred cow.....

bangkok wrote: »
    He signs who the manager wants and he has success in doing that while also doing a brilliant job as ceo of the club

That’s bollox. Managers have an input in signings and sometimes they get their preferred targets but the club has a huge say.

For Example Herrera and Shaw were identified by the club over a season before they signed. LVG was told they were being signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just on tonight as well, let’s no forget that this was a Palace side with a huge injury list and missing by far their most attacking player.

A great result to be sure but really those first half performances have gone from being expected intermittently to being common place which is a big worry.

I honestly think that lack of urgency and tempo that Utd play and move the ball with causes a lot of the perceived attack8ng problems. When the tempo increases and the ball is moved faster the attacks happen more naturally and instinctively and there’s more space.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why Utd start so many matches like it’s a bit of a kick about and get out muscled and outfought by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Pogba has very little to hide behind now, and I think the media will get on him very soon.

Have you been hiding out in solitary confinement in a North Korea jail by any chance??
    Cannot fault Lukaku’s work rate and his season as a whole has been good.

Agree 100%. His attitude has been more or less spot on most games. Much less of the sulking and can't be arsed attitude he showed from time to time at Everton despite the crap service has been getting which is probably a reflection of the fact he is now a little older and more mature.

Personally I'm always a bit confused when I see a 6ft 4" tank of a #9 out on the wing crossing into no one in particular in the box but I don't pretend to understand the subtle complexities and nuances of Mr Mourinho's tactical masterplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

@Adox

Now I'm not trying to stick it to these posters. (I love you all :)) So please don't take offence but IMO this is the type of overreactions I'm talking about

It was a poor half against a side battling for points

We pretty much dominated the 2nd half, I even think we started it the minute it kicked off bar the lapse in concentration for the 2nd Palace goal

But as I said this was a great comeback whatever anyone wants to say

And when I read the above while we sit 2nd in the League behind a team who are playing on another level then I do think it's a complete overreaction every week in here when something goes wrong

This criticism against this Utd team is deserved at times and I've done it myself multiple times but no need for it to be consistently over the top

I stand by my post regardless of the result. Wouldn't consider it an over reaction at all.

Personally I'm always a bit confused when I see a 6ft 4" tank of a #9 out on the wing crossing into no one in particular in the box but I don't pretend to understand the subtle complexities and nuances of Mr Mourinho's tactical masterplan.

There was a lovely nuance for the winner last Sunday.

• I stand by my post regardless of the result. Wouldn't consider it an over reaction at all.

That's fine. Just sharing my thoughts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Horrible performance overall, but an unbelievable finish, an absolutely ridiculous goal to win it.
    Hopefully we can take some impetus from this into the game on Sunday.
    We need to start against Liverpool the way we finished against Palace,none of the drab brain fart football we've been producing lately.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

adox wrote: »
    There was a lovely nuance for the winner last Sunday.

tenor.gif?itemid=10203692

nullzero wrote: »
    Horrible performance overall, but an unbelievable finish, an absolutely ridiculous goal to win it.
    We need to start against Liverpool the way we finished against Palace,none of the drab brain fart football we've been producing lately.

I’m not trying to be Mr negative but I’d be very surprised if we start the way we finished tonight.

I want to see some urgency from the players from kick off. Was sadly lack8mg tonight and in other games. Maybe the occasion will make them up their attitude and game who knows but if I was a betting man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

nullzero wrote: »
    We need to start against Liverpool the way we finished against Palace

Probably shouldn't wait until Sunday then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Stuck in UK since last week ... missed the snowfall of a lifetime ... watched my kids on sleds on WhatsApp

£90 off a tout (and there weren’t many tickets)

Drivel for 60 mins ..

In the home end - but that save from DeGea was in front of me .. even the Palace fans were in awe

Worth the hassle!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

duffman13 wrote: »
    Why was there even a match thread, barely a United fan posting in there? Nothing too gloaty in there even when we were two down. A 3-0 win the weekend would be ideal :)

Bret Hart seems to be keen on them and leave him off if that's what he wants it kind of keeps the crap out of superthread to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Few positives to be taken from the game.

I believe that's our first time in 29 attempts to come back to win a PL game when trailing at half time.

Another tidy finish by Lukaku and he's on track to end the season with a very good return of goals.

We are blessed with such a strong squad. Great to be able to bring Jessie off the bench last week with Mata and Rashford having a big impact tonight.

José is doing a decent job at delivering results. We're not in PL winning form but we've been clocking up the points this season and who knows how far we'll go in the CL.

Massive room for improvement everywhere on the pitch too so we are nowhere near our ceiling.

Lukaku is on a run of six goals in 8 games and some nice assist thrown in there aswell. He has stepped up big time in the past two games I'd love to see him do it 3 games in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lukaku is on a run of six goals in 8 games and some nice assist thrown in there aswell. He has stepped up big time in the past two games I'd love to see him do it 3 games in a row.

When he grows up. He might be even good enough for united.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    When he grows up. He might be even good enough for united.

If he doesn't start scoring soon he will be swapped for moratta in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Not sure if it was caught on camera but Mourinho gave Pogba some bollocking about halfway through the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was caught on camera but Mourinho gave Pogba some bollocking about halfway through the 2nd half

Pogba was just one of many to get it in the ear from Mourinho during the game. He was being driven demented at times on the sideline :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jayo26 wrote: »
    If he doesn't start scoring soon he will be swapped for moratta in the summer.

The people who hate on Lukaku now will remember that post and make sure they point out how crap he is doing when he doesn’t score for a few games, and you will remember that and do the same like you did now when he scores again.

It’s a cycle of nonsense that someone on one side has to break out of. Otherwise don’t complain when he gets overly criticised again because you’re provoking it with “roll eyes” posts like that.

Just to clarify: I don’t think I’ve ever said too much about Lukaku in either praise or criticism so I’m on a hill looking down at all the polar opposite opinions just wondering why you can’t all just get along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hopefully after tonight, that's the end of that sham of a backline. Smalling and Young must have some fairly incriminating **** on Jose to keep starting after. The pair of them are a ****ing liability. Smalling in particular has gone from being good under LVG to poor last season and now to so ****e it's unbelievable now. That better be the end of us playing the two of them in the same backline or god help us on saturday. Get Bailly back in pronto. Can't see why he couldn't have got a run tonight.

Jose must be at the end of his tether with these lads, after the 2nd goal the effing and blinding out of him on the touchline was unbelievable and he pretty much said in the post match that he read them the riot act at half time. This squad doesn't half have its head up its collective hole sometimes, and he deservedly absolutely bollocked the **** out of them at half time. Between that and some (absolutely genius btw) tactical switches, he got it spot on tonight.

/rant

Still though and following on from that, ****ing great win. Actually delighted, despite that rant. Matic is some man (what a ****ing first goal for the club), Lukaku is hitting a cracking run of form and really showing off his intelligence as a player and this is exactly the sort of confidence building win you'd want coming up against that mob next. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Now while I love a good rant myself there is no way Bailly could get a run tonight or against Chelsea as of how the games panned out. Maybe he could a game for the reserves/u23s during the week but you would still fear it wouldnt be enough to get him up to speed for the Liverpool game given how long he has been out.

But the sooner he is back the better no doubt

Opta Joe facts and some pics...

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/970780601677766656
    Manchester United have come from 2 goals down to win a Premier League game for the first time since December 2013 (at Hull)
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/970786833633292288
    22 – Jose Mourinho has won his first ever @PremierLeague game after being 2+ goals behind (D2 L19). Character.
    64oAlF7.jpg

Lukaku is giving Herrera a serious run for his money there with the goal celebrations. Great to see him celebrate this as if he scored it himself, same with Lingard's winner against Chelsea.

JkYKCsk.jpg?1

In fairness, that's probably the nicest photo of Jose and McTominay there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

^^ really nice to see Sanchez messing around with them, they look proper delighted with themselves

https://twitter.com/r_o_m/status/970791453470416896?s=21

• GSPfan wrote: »
    The people who hate on Lukaku now will remember that post and make sure they point out how crap he is doing when he doesn’t score for a few games, and you will remember that and do the same like you did now when he scores again.

It’s a cycle of nonsense that someone on one side has to break out of. Otherwise don’t complain when he gets overly criticised again because you’re provoking it with “roll eyes” posts like that.

Just to clarify: I don’t think I’ve ever said too much about Lukaku in either praise or criticism so I’m on a hill looking down at all the polar opposite opinions just wondering why you can’t all just get along.

But saying he's crap when he's not scored is simply not true. Even when Lukaku wasn't scoring he was putting in huge amounts of effort and creating chances on his own.
    He was starved of supply in plenty of games this season.
    His workrate doesn't get half as much credit as it should. It's so easy to see why Jose trusted him in every game.
    Again it's the fun thing to do around here is simply player bash and finger point.
    It's more overreaction IMO

• Advertisement

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Bret Hart seems to be keen on them and leave him off if that's what he wants it kind of keeps the crap out of superthread to an extent.

Even better when you can sicken the holes off them when Matic scores a 90th minute winner as they reverse into the bush :P

But saying he's crap when he's not scored is simply not true. Even when Lukaku wasn't scoring he was putting in huge amounts of effort and creating chances on his own.
    His workrate doesn't get have as much credit as it should. It's so easy to see why Jose trusted him in every game.
    Again it's the fun thing to do around here is simply player bash and finger point.

It wasn't even said when he wasn't scoring when that was said lukaku already had 15 goals in the season i think it was after morata had a good game.
    Even better when you can sicken the holes off them when Matic scores a 90th minute winner as they reverse into the bush :P

Love the Neutrals.

His workrate doesn't get half as much credit as it should. It's so easy to see why Jose trusted him in every game.

100% agree. Lukaku has done well. The people being overly harsh on him are just being overly harsh. My point was that it’s best not try counteract that criticism by provoking those people with sarcastic comments when he plays great. It just makes the critics more desperate to point out his faults as a reply.

GSPfan wrote: »
    100% agree. Lukaku has done well. The people being overly harsh on him are just being overly harsh. My point was that it’s best not try counteract that criticism by provoking those people with sarcastic comments when he plays great. It just makes the critics more desperate to point out his faults as a reply.

It wasn't a case of pointing it out after he played great i laughed at it then and have continually laughed at it.

You don't judge a player from game to game it's done In here all the time that's why lindleoff was a saviour that should be brought into the team few weeks ago and now he should be benched.

Opposite with Mata and the list goes on.

JkYKCsk.jpg?1

In fairness, that's probably the nicest photo of Jose and McTominay there is.

Is that solksjaar running after the ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Can't wait for us to put in a 90 minute performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I posted are we arsenal in disguise, players were arguing with each other, passes were going no where Lingard was wildly shooting instead of passing the ball out so a free player could aim a pass at the pack in the box creating a better chance of scoring, just three comparable examples I can think of from the first half

After Jose battered the players at half time and made some tactical changes we cast of that disguise and became Manchester United again I love this team I watch every match I can and yes the football has been toxic but you take the good with the bad as any true fan of any team does it is sometimes hard to watch but times like last night prove stick with it and you get to smile and gods damn did I smile after last night still it's bloody hard to keep the stupid comments down sometimes but in the end I won't stop watching even if we don't score for 45 minutes 90 minutes or hell even 10 hours, I'll be back watching on Saturday and and then next week for the champions league game too.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Ha. You’ve purposely left out your mates in these carefully selected examples. Dying for some likes?

My comment was half a joke (regarding McTominay) and half realism considering ours, Spurs’s, and Liverpools run ins. There were comments from others going mental who you obviously didn’t want to call out.

No grudges here dude!
    Nothing got to do with likes either. Was an honest response to adox that's all.
    And only chose what I believe to be overreactions.
    Believe what you want :)

Can we start a utd liverpool match thread now??

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great ability to grind out results playimg poorly lately ,
    Pogba very poor again ,Sanchez worse
    De Gea amazing as usual
    Matic and Lakaku played very well
    Mata made a hug difference
    Thomkins for the first goal is school boy stuff 4 yards behimd his line to play smalling amd Pogba on side ,
    Sets up net weekend nicely

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement