Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can we all agree that McTominay was excellent?

Never let go child. Hes just a white Djemba Djemba in your eyes we get it.

Hopefully he is released on a free for you!

GSPfan wrote: »
    100% agree. Lukaku has done well. The people being overly harsh on him are just being overly harsh. My point was that it’s best not try counteract that criticism by provoking those people with sarcastic comments when he plays great. It just makes the critics more desperate to point out his faults as a reply.

Theres an irony here :pac:

It's a real shame Fellaini is going to miss the Liverpool game again he really is a great way to by pass a high press and get at the backline quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Great night down in Selhurst though suffering today from it.
    McTominay and Matic together in midfield doesn’t work and it’s hard to know how to get Pogba to play with Sanchez. We were so predictable first half with no width - only really opened up when Rash came on and we stretched them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bangkok wrote: »
    Can we start a utd liverpool match thread now??

:)

We’ll do that later in the week lads

MrMac84 wrote: »
    We’ll do that later in the week lads

Do we havto? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some game and some result.

Again, massively papering over the cracks. Sanchez has been brutal since he joined and Pogba was really poor. He's in his 4-3-3 now, excuses running out.

But whatever, some comeback and was intense viewing that second half :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Mata without doubt our player of the season . Only player with a football brain that we have.

At this stage Pogba should be sold . Mata is Mr. 8/10 and Pogba is consistently 3/10 . Sell him and sign someone else please. He’s been a flop since day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

deadybai wrote: »
    Mata without doubt our player of the season . Only player with a football brain that we have.

At this stage Pogba should be sold . Mata is Mr. 8/10 and Pogba is consistently 3/10 . Sell him and sign someone else please. He’s been a flop since day one.

Report and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

deadybai wrote: »

Pogba sold? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do we havto? :(

It’s the one game that really really needs a match thread to keep the majority of trolling and the like off the super threads, it’s grand posting here when the matches against a boards minority supported team as there doesn’t usually be an influx into the superthreads.. the Utd v Pool matches are a different kettle of fish though

Pogba is just going through a bad run of form, it happens to all players at some stage.. he was pretty good for the last 30 last night after a pretty terrible first 60.. hopefully he can use that to build some confidence up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    Pogba is just going through a bad run of form, it happens to all players at some stage.. he was pretty good for the last 30 last night after a pretty terrible first 60.. hopefully he can use that to build some confidence up..

Looked really frustrated and angry with himself in the first half.

Yeah I seen him really giving out (to himself)when he misplaced a pass in the first half, seems like he is very low on confidence and is trying way to hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think G Nev was spot on last night said its like he wants a match to be like a youtube highlight video  ,everything he does has to be spectacular, he refuses to do the simply things to often makes the game more complicated for himself,
    I think he suffer's from being a "brand " he cant just play 90 minutes doing simple but effective work as he would not stand out (even if he played well) ,I think the price tag has effected him ,
    Its almost like he needs to try to do something spectacular to live up to his own branding,
    Without question there is a top player in there but he just needs to focus more on effective football ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

First time since Hull in 2013 that we won after being 2 down

Yeah I seen him really giving out (to himself)when he misplaced a pass in the first half, seems like he is very low on confidence and is trying way to hard
    That's by design , he makes sure everyone see's him giving out, Sanchez , Sureaz, Robbie Keane, there a number of player like that ,who when playing bad start moaning at themselves and other's so everyone see's there "trying ",
    Best instant was Pogba had a brutal effort last night then he realised a pass to Lakaku was on, So  starting shouting at Lakaku like it was his fault when he should have just passed it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Best instant was Pogba had a brutal effort last night then he realised a pass to Lakaku was on, So  starting shouting at Lakaku like it was his fault when he should have just passed it,

Disagree - Lukaku never moved into a position to get a pass from Pogba in that situation, he came too narrow and close to the defender rather than peeling off to either create space for himself or for Pogba - all he did was congest the area and reduce options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pretty sure it was Lukaku that started shouting at Pogba first anyway.

• Advertisement

I think G Nev was spot on last night said its like he wants a match to be like a youtube highlight video  ,everything he does has to be spectacular, he refuses to do the simply things to often makes the game more complicated for himself,
    I think he suffer's from being a "brand " he cant just play 90 minutes doing simple but effective work as he would not stand out (even if he played well) ,I think the price tag has effected him ,
    Its almost like he needs to try to do something spectacular to live up to his own branding,
    Without question there is a top player in there but he just needs to focus more on effective football ,

He did everything simple and effective against chelsea and was still criticised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Can't wait for us to put in a 90 minute performance

Jose should start giving his half time team talks before the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Jose should start giving his half time team talks before the match.

Aye, it's really difficult to understand why they can't play like that from the start, or at least after the first 10 minutes after they've warmed up a bit. They've seen now what they can do when they go for it. It's time for them to make things happen for themselves, instead of waiting for it to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Or

Like Sanchez he is under instruction to try things to force the game, Jose does not mind giving up the ball.

He did everything simple and effective against chelsea and was still criticised
    That's my point he's built up this brand himself that people expect more form him,

Relikk wrote: »
    Aye, it's really difficult to understand why they can't play like that from the start, or at least after the first 10 minutes after they've warmed up a bit. They've seen now what they can do when they go for it. It's time for them to make things happen for themselves, instead of waiting for it to happen.

Is it? We can't just ignore how Palace approached differant parts of the game.

Palace fell towards their goal as the game went on and allowed United to come at them. At the start they worked much harder to be on the front foot.

Edit: also both goals conceded came from Valencia high up the pitch. United first came from him high up the pitch.

United's more control of the game in second half came had full backs playing up the pitch.

The thing that changed most was Palace dropping deep. United bringing on Mata for Valencia with an attacker playing full back down the right. Not sure we can expect to start like that or the opponent to start like that in many away games.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »

Or

Like Sanchez he is under instruction to try things to force the game, Jose does not mind giving up the ball.
    Most attackers are under instruction to make things happen
    You have to be kidding yourself if you think Jose doesn't mind the amount of time he gives it away,
    He has been dire since he joined United
    If he was any other of the attacking player Mata,Rashford,Martial ,Jesse he would be dropped for his performances so far, he is getting a pass because people know what he is capable of on his day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You have to be kidding yourself if you think Jose doesn't mind the amount of time he gives it away,
    If he was any other of the attacking player Mata,Rashford,Martial ,Jesse he would be dropped for his performances so far, he is getting a pass because people know what he is capable of on his day,

Agree with this, but at a point he needs to stick with some form of "first choice" players and play them into form.

Sanchez has been really poor since joining, so I can understand the persistence in trying to play him into form. Be a big call to drop him for Liverpool but would be totally justified. Pogba going through a bad spell too. Yet he's gotten the bench.

I'm ok with the manager playing these two back into form, since we should all know how good they are. Pogba has in the majority been at the heart of everything good we do. Sanchez was the same at Arsenal so just need to get him into the swing of things. His positioning is horrendous. People giving Pogba **** over his discipline, Sanchez is laughable how he has played since joining. Just a complete lack of team ethic and purely trying to play for himself and show he can be a main man. Needs to be pulled aside and giving a firm talking too. Again we just had no width and made it easy for a team sitting deep to defend against. Utterly changed when Rashford came on, and then Mata and also Shaw. We had width, we pulled defenders around. And you could see Mourinho roaring at Shaw and Rashford, pointing, to stay wide. What Sanchez should have been doing.

• I'm enjoying the extra cockiness from the Pool supporters
    It always leads to a laugh
    Love to burst that bubble Saturday

TheDoc wrote: »

Agree with this, but at a point he needs to stick with some form of "first choice" players and play them into form.

Sanchez has been really poor since joining, so I can understand the persistence in trying to play him into form. Be a big call to drop him for Liverpool but would be totally justified. Pogba going through a bad spell too. Yet he's gotten the bench.

I'm ok with the manager playing these two back into form, since we should all know how good they are. Pogba has in the majority been at the heart of everything good we do. Sanchez was the same at Arsenal so just need to get him into the swing of things. His positioning is horrendous. People giving Pogba **** over his discipline, Sanchez is laughable how he has played since joining. Just a complete lack of team ethic and purely trying to play for himself and show he can be a main man. Needs to be pulled aside and giving a firm talking too. Again we just had no width and made it easy for a team sitting deep to defend against. Utterly changed when Rashford came on, and then Mata and also Shaw. We had width, we pulled defenders around. And you could see Mourinho roaring at Shaw and Rashford, pointing, to stay wide. What Sanchez should have been doing.
    I think Jose will go 3 at the back with wing backs the weekend,
    Salah and Ox will ruin riot in the space behind Pogba and get at Young and he won't drop Pogba, So I reckon he'll go 3 centre backs for the extra cover for Salah's runs,

I know Jose will be bothered by the simple mistakes, I don't think he minds when a more risky pass intended to create, open up a chance does not come off.

The idea that Pogba is only interested in fancy play for looking good is a stretch. If you said he wanted a role that allows him the chance to play that way I could understand. I can't agree he plays passes just to make a highlight video, it would be to benefit the team. He goes overboard at times, as he is trying to force the game, I think it is a genuine effort to influence the game, not some selfish need.

• Advertisement

I wonder will Jose start Rashford, Liverpool worse defender is Trent and he can be got at ,

Hopefully we do try 3 at the back. Its the best counter. Alas that probably dont have 3 fully fit CB's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the extra cockiness from the Pool supporters

Cokiness?! Hah!

There's one delusional twat who thinks we'll win by three or four. The rest of us? If we don't score early, best we can hope for is a nil-nil draw.

Where do you find these "cocky" Liverpool supporters? Playgrounds? (Implication there, being that you might be a primary school teacher or paretn, btw - nothing more!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Cokiness?! Hah!

There's one delusional twat who thinks we'll win by three or four. The rest of us? If we don't score early, best we can hope for is a nil-nil draw.

Where do you find these "cocky" Liverpool supporters? Playgrounds? (Implication there, being that you might be a primary school teacher or paretn, btw - nothing more!)

The world doesn't revolve around boards.ie you know!
    It's like the lads who believe if you don't post in the 'La Liga' thread then you don't watch nor can you hold an opinion on La Liga football :pac:

I'm enjoying the extra cockiness from the Pool supporters

Cokiness?! Hah!

I'm a huge Liverpool fan and can see United grinding out a win,
    I agree with the above people who go on saying we will hammer United are children or clueless
    Football should be looked at objectively, I for one never understood people not calling football how it is regardless if it involves the team they support,
    It makes no sense to blindly pretend your team are fantastic or trying to find holes in a team you hate that are not there, Some football fans refuse to have adult discussions about football and revert to children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Genuinely would rather a half fit Bailly or Jones than Smalling against the pool. i don't care how lacking match sharpness they are, it could only be an improvement. The thought of fielding the same backline as the last couple of games against Salah, Firmino and Mane is going to have me waking up in cold sweats all week.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hopefully we do try 3 at the back. Its the best counter. Alas that probably dont have 3 fully fit CB's

We were 3 at the back in possssion against chelsea at times with matic goin rcb, back 4 when without,no idea was that to help the attack or as a defence against the counter attack though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just back from lunch with a friend who supports Pool. The build-up before the game is happening.

Looking forward to Saturday more so for the occasion rather than the football I expect to watch. Bragging rights up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The world doesn't revolve around boards.ie you know!
    It's like the lads who believe if you don't post in the 'La Liga' thread then you don't watch nor can you hold an opinion on La Liga football :pac:

.... that was my point.

I'd argue I know more Liverpool fans than you do and that your cockiness is combination of an appeal to tradition and confirmation basis.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think it will be a close game the weekend.

Some would have you believe there is a big gap between the sides blah blah blah

But since the turn of the year they have won 8 drew 1 and lost 2

We have won 9 drew 1 and lost 2.

I think the fact they have scored 7 more goals then us in that time means they have the best attack in Europe and we only park the bus blah blah.

I'm looking forward to it I know last two games we have started **** and came back into it but if the players ain't motivated from the start the weekend there is something major wrong with them.

• Advertisement

• .... that was my point.

I'd argue I know more Liverpool fans than you do and that your cockiness is combination of an appeal to tradition and confirmation basis.

Unless I have another stalker added to the list I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion!

Also,
    I just said I'd love to burst the bubble. Didn't comment on how I actually think we will get on in the match so not sure how I'm coming across as cocki!

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think it will be a close game the weekend.

Some would have you believe there is a big gap between the sides blah blah blah

But since the turn of the year they have won 8 drew 1 and lost 2

We have won 9 drew 1 and lost 2.

I think the fact they have scored 7 more goals then us in that time means they have the best attack in Europe and we only park the bus blah blah.  

I'm looking forward to it I know last two games we have started **** and came back into it but if the players ain't motivated from the start the weekend there is something major wrong with them.
    I think the confidence from Liverpool fans comes from the fact it seems monthly since November the gap has been closing,
    Not 100% positive but was it 10 points at one stage ?
    I gotta say with both clubs so close in the table it does add extra spice to Saturday,
    I can only imagine how tense both fans would feel if we meet in the Champions league in the next round or Semi's , If it was the final I think id die of the tension in the build up :)

I think the confidence from Liverpool fans comes from the fact it seems monthly since November the gap has been closing,
    Not 100% positive but was it 10 points at one stage ?
    I gotta say with both clubs so close in the table it does add extra spice to Saturday,
    I can only imagine how tense both fans would feel if we meet in the Champions league in the next round or Semi's , If it was the final I think id die of the tension in the build up :)

That would be equally amazing and awful at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd be torn in two cos I have money on Liverpool to be furthest progressing English team in the CL. Like the year I bet on Torres to be prem top scorer and was cursing every time Ronaldo scored...

Hopefully both bailly and carrick play the game against liverpool

United should follow Newcastle's game plan from the weekend, but they have better players to make it more successful ,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well sir, I'll have you know, we excel in granting early goals :pac:

I don’t think Carrick would suit the high press, at least with Pogba and matic to an extent they can carry the ball by one or two players.. Carrick can be very poor under the press and his passing can get incredibly sloppy

I don’t think Carrick would suit the high press, at least with Pogba and matic to an extent they can carry the ball by one or two players.. Carrick can be very poor under the press and his passing can get incredibly sloppy
    You don't want to play a high press against Liverpool ,

• Advertisement

You don't want to play a high press against Liverpool ,

I mean against Liverpool’s high press

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement