Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Would like to see a Bailly/Jones combination brought back for the Pool game, but may be a bit of a risk that José doesn't want to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

astradave wrote: »
    bangkok wrote: »
    Hopefully both bailly and carrick play the game against liverpool

I don’t think Carrick would suit the high press, at least with Pogba and matic to an extent they can carry the ball by one or two players.. Carrick can be very poor under the press and his passing can get incredibly sloppy
    You don't want to play a high press against Liverpool ,
    Don't mind me I see what you mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Would like to see a Bailly/Jones combination brought back for the Pool game, but may be a bit of a risk that José doesn't want to take.

Jones was out of last nights game injured, no idea if he will be fit for Saturday.

Don't know if Jose would trust Bailly after only a few minutes back. I reckon he had planned to bring Bailly on last night, but the performance and required changes made that impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Don't mind me I see what you mean :)

Totally off topic and mean in the nicest way possible but fix your fuking quotes man they do my head In :) thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Totally off topic and mean in the nicest way possible but fix your fuking quotes man they do my head In :) thanks.

That’s the responsive site :pac: it’s awful.. touch all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Unless I have another stalker added to the list I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion!

Didn't you just say you were talking outside of boards.ie?
    Also,
    I just said I'd love to burst the bubble. Didn't comment on how I actually think we will get on in the match so not sure how I'm coming across as cocki!

My bad - I meant that the cockiness you perceived came from confirmation bias and and appeal to tradition.

IN other words, this is what you WANT to be the case, so you BELIEVE it to be case and then you portray it to be the case. Without ever checking to see if it really IS the case.

In other words: pedalling old stereotypes.

(That said, you do come across as being cocky when you constantly have digs about other clubs, but that's just you: not all Man U posters)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I don’t think Carrick would suit the high press, at least with Pogba and matic to an extent they can carry the ball by one or two players.. Carrick can be very poor under the press and his passing can get incredibly sloppy

He is still our best passer of the ball and we will need to retain possession against them. Would like to see mata start aswell

He is still our best passer of the ball and we will need to retain possession against them. Would like to see mata start aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

He is still our best passer of the ball and we will need to retain possession against them. Would like to see mata start as well

There's no way Jose......

De Gea
    Val-Smalling-Bailly-Young
    Matic
    Jesse - Pogba
    Alexis-Martial/Flashford
    Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Think it will be the same team as last night except jesse out and rashford in i dont think jose will drop mctominary
    and hopefully eric in the team

• Advertisement

• Didn't you just say you were talking outside of boards.ie?

My bad - I meant that the cockiness you perceived came from confirmation bias and and appeal to tradition.

IN other words, this is what you WANT to be the case, so you BELIEVE it to be case and then you portray it to be the case. Without ever checking to see if it really IS the case.

In other words: pedalling old stereotypes.

(That said, you do come across as being cocky when you constantly have digs about other clubs, but that's just you: not all Man U posters)

What a silly argument, it's defo going to heat up in here over the next week!

Checking with who?
    So if multiple pool fans I have engaged with all think they are going to hammer Utd then that's me being cocki and biased?

I love Utd, I hate Liverpool, I hate Chelsea & I hate Man City as an example. How do people not relate to this? Is it that hard to believe.
    That's how the real world works and that happens whenever I attend matches or whenever I head to the pub with the lads to watch the games.
    Believe me I will ****ing rub it in if Liverpool get beaten on Saturday. I expect the same to happen to me if Utd lose.
    That's part of the game. That's it really. I really couldn't give a **** after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Jones was out of last nights game injured, no idea if he will be fit for Saturday.

Don't know if Jose would trust Bailly after only a few minutes back. I reckon he had planned to bring Bailly on last night, but the performance and required changes made that impossible.

Yeah I think the same.

Jones apparently just had a knock and was just rested, so I imagine him to be back soon. And Bailly like you said hasn't really played at all since coming back.

Think I'm just itching to see if their partnership can continue where it stopped. Nothing against Smalling and Lindelof but I find the Bailly/Jones combo more of a secure reliable one, even though it's been a while since we have seen it.

Smalling and Lindelof could have a brilliant game, but this season they both at times seem to panic and make things a little more nervous in my eyes. Some may argue that about Jones but I feel bar that game where he had a shocker he's been very secure and reliable.

Also would love to see Shaw start. Young is a good worker but I'd feel a lot safer with Shaw in the squad than him. It looked like that was going to be the case until recently.

brinty wrote: »
    There's no way Jose......

De Gea
    Val-Smalling-Bailly-Young
    Matic
    Jesse - Pogba
    Alexis-Martial/Flashford
    Lukaku

Jesse in midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Never let go child. Hes just a white Djemba Djemba in your eyes we get it.

Hopefully he is released on a free for you!

Excellent.

Jesse in midfield?

In the Reus role sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres an irony here :pac:

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Great turnaround last night. Haven't seen those fighting qualities in a while, can't give Liverpool a 60 minute head start or it could be embarrassing. Start the game in the same high intensity as we finished last night and I'll be happy enough.

On a side note I think Shaw is a disgrace. We've been wondering why he hasn't appeared on the team in a while but I think it was fairly obvious when he came on why he hasn't figured. It's one thing to be off the pace and that's fair enough, It's quite another to look well overweight. Couldn't believe the size of him. No excuse for that

Jesse in midfield?

Jose claims that is where Jessie was vs Spurs/Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Great turnaround last night. Haven't seen those fighting qualities in a while, can't give Liverpool a 60 minute head start or it could be embarrassing. Start the game in the same high intensity as we finished last night and I'll be happy enough.

On a side note I think Shaw is a disgrace. We've been wondering why he hasn't appeared on the team in a while but I think it was fairly obvious when he came on why he hasn't figured. It's one thing to be off the pace and that's fair enough, It's quite another to look well overweight. Couldn't believe the size of him. No excuse for that

There's no excuse, and there's no excuse any of the other times yet he seems to have a band of merry men that think he's always harshly done by and is going to be the best left back in the world for years to come :rolleyes:

Get him out, Newcastle, Southampton etc. his level and even lower if he doesn't cop onto himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I actually couldn't believe how portly he looked. Very unprofessional

• Advertisement

Mata looked porky in the jersey as well last night and he is tiny.

If shaw was over weight he wouldnt be near the matchday squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I just don't get how any professional footballer can't do the very basics of keeping themselves fit and at their optimum weight even if they aren't in the first 11. They have short careers and just need to stay trim for a few years FFS. Is that really too much to ask when your employer has paid circa £30m for you and is paying you £70,000 a week? I know the guy had a bad injury so some weight gain during the time he was out is forgivable but he's been back in full training for a long time now so there is no excuse for the state he's currently in.

I'm surprised clubs can't manage to get a BMI/obesity clause into contracts i.e. if your weight exceeds Xkg you are fined £Y per week with the scale increasing from 10% of your wages all the way up to 100% of your wages if after 10 weeks you're still over weight.

He's only 22 and in the last year of his contract. Does he not want another contract? He's heading for Neville Southall and Neil Ruddock territory by the age of 30 if he doesn't cop on!!

Just to say it again - Lukaku put in some effort last night. Really giving his all for United at the moment. His control lets him down at time, but bloody hell is he working hard.

Showed some amount of passion for both the equaliser and the winner.

Great to see.

I 100 percent agree with you No way would Jose have him in the first team squad if he was over weight.

Jose does things his way if he thinks a player is not working right we all know he will blank the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think we would be hearing rave reviews about Shaw, and seeing him in squads if there was issues with his attitude or professionalism. Think this is maybe some more 100% speculation trying to provide a reasoning for the managers, curious selection?

Shaw actually looks like a young man who is going through a bulking and strengthening plan. It's noticeable how his chest is getting bigger. He's 22 for god sake

He is an explosive player, like outrageously explosive. His pace is incredible, and thank **** he hasn't lost it from his leg break. Don't be surprised to see him develop into the Valencia mould as opposed to say a slim Ashley Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just don't get how any professional footballer can't do the very basics of keeping themselves fit and at their optimum weight even if they aren't in the first 11.  They have short careers and just need to stay trim for a few years FFS.  Is that really too much to ask when your employer has paid circa £30m for you and is paying you £70,000 a week?  I know the guy had a bad injury so some weight gain during the time he was out is forgivable but he's been back in full training for a long time now so there is no excuse for the state he's currently in.

I'm surprised clubs can't manage to get a BMI/obesity clause into contracts i.e. if your weight exceeds Xkg you are fined £Y per week with the scale increasing from 10% of your wages all the way up to 100% of your wages if after 10 weeks you're still over weight.  

He's only 22 and in the last year of his contract.  Does he not want another contract?  He's heading for Neville Southall and Neil Ruddock territory by the age of 30 if he doesn't cop on!!
    Bit over the top, he didn't look that bad a tall and some people just carry weight differently,
    If he was really out of shape he'd be no where near the squad ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit over the top, he didn't look that bad a tall and some people just carry weight differently,

I really thought he did look significantly overweight, particularly around the arse and that the excess weight was flab/fat not muscle.

Maybe it was the particular kit last night but my instant reaction to seeing him move was :eek:
    If he was really out of shape he'd be no where near the squad ,

You'd definitely think/hope so.

They do say you look 10lbs heavier on TV :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TheDoc wrote: »

Shaw actually looks like a young man who is going through a bulking and strengthening plan. It's noticeable how his chest is getting bigger. He's 22 for god sake

He is an explosive player, like outrageously explosive. His pace is incredible, and thank **** he hasn't lost it from his leg break.

As a Mayoman, I find him reminiscent of Aidan O'Shea in so many ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I agree with this and I thought he looked big. It had to be the jersey or something as he would not have been anywhere near the bench if he was not fit. Jose wouldn't suffer that at all, much less bring him on.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would Shaw be in that shaqiri build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Hococop wrote: »
    Would Shaw be in that shaqiri build?

More like the Shakira build.

Them hips don't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jose claims that is where Jessie was vs Spurs/Newcastle.

To be fair it was very noticeable against Newcastle, particularly in the second half. The Spurs game was a dumpster fire of a midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mitchell was doing really well up in Scotland but is after picking up an injury now keep him out for few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I must be the only one who thinks Sanchez played well in his first three games for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    I must be the only one who thinks Sanchez played well in his first three games for us.

I dont think he has been as bad as people are making him out to be.

Im happy enough with him since it's a new club, different style of football

Im sure he will get to that amazing level he was at Arsenal last season but just needs a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

He's always trying to make something happen instead of taking a touch and playing it backwards.

Also he has the summer off so I think he'll be a lot fresher come August.

What about the other 5?

Have a look at the madrid bench!!! Quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Have a look at the madrid bench!!! Quality

How is that relevant to a Manchester United News/Gossip/Chat Thread?

Im sure there's a Champions League thread somewhere

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    How is that relevant to a Manchester United News/Gossip/Chat Thread?

Im sure there's a Champions League thread somewhere

It's relevant when your Bangkok and your next line is going to be that in comparison to the United bench and the money spent!!!!

I agree that he played quite well in those first few games especially. His work ethic is impressive and as QikBax said above, he's always looking to make something happen. Even if I think he's had a bad game or two since then, I can't fault his work ethic or commitment, and his engine is just scary.

Last night though, that was his first match in a United shirt where I felt frustrated watching him. I could take a couple of 'par for the course' performances from him before last night, but I thought that was his least impressive performance for us yet. It's no major indictment on him as a player, and no one has to hang, but you'd be hoping that last night's performance will be a very rare occurrence for him.

Sanchez can be as hard-working and enduring as they come, but that's not really what he was signed for. He needs time to adjust to the club and the style of play, but in the meantime the odd goal or assist would be most welcome. Especially since he seems to be a guaranteed starter now.

In fairness to him though, he came into the team at a time when there's hardly anyone in the 11 consistently shining, where it can be hard to see what exactly the gameplan is in some matches (v Newcastle, first half last night). And even if there is an evident gameplan, the players can't execute it (v Spurs).

If Sanchez was having problems in a team that was a well-oiled machine, I'd have some concerns about him. In fact it's been the opposite. In those first few games he didn't just play well in a poor, disjointed team; he was one of the better players for us, if not the best.

There are two important home games up next for us, I'd be hoping to see Sanchez make more of a mark in those games than he did in the last two games. Still, I won't be expecting miracles from him - If the rest of the 11 perform as utterly shít as they did in Anfield last October, well there's not much Alexis can do for us no matter how well he himself plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's relevant when your Bangkok and your next line is going to be that in comparison to the United bench and the money spent!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackspics/34595916

In fairness it does look like a quality bench

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ninthlife wrote: »
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackspics/34595916

In fairness it does look like a quality bench

That's a mighty fine looking bench Madrid have there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What about the other 5?

What about Pogbas last 8 appearences?

You seem to have ducked the question posed to you last night after you repeatedly lambasted Sanchez.

They haven't been benchs in about 40 year I'd say haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Woodward doesn't sign that bench he should be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Di Maria playing like a completely different player to the one we saw at Utd:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Lord TSC wrote: »

Maybe its because he's a Londoner :rolleyes:

What about Pogbas last 8 appearences?

You seem to have ducked the question posed to you last night after you repeatedly lambasted Sanchez.

Haha biggest move of goalposts in history

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement