Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ninthlife wrote: »
    How is that relevant to a Manchester United News/Gossip/Chat Thread?

Im sure there's a Champions League thread somewhere

Theres lots in this thread that has nothing to do with united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Haha biggest move of goalposts in history

Ah dont be so hard on yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

billyhead wrote: »
    Di Maria playing like a completely different player to the one we saw at Utd:confused:

Amazing what happens when you get away from park the bus jose.

Ronaldo class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What about the other 5?

Ok Bangkok unlike you I’ll reply to your question.

I think he has been fine apart from the last two games where he has been poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Haha biggest move of goalposts in history

How is it goalpost moving?

Sanchez hasn't been great in most games, nobody has said anything to the contrary.

How has Pogba done in the same period?

Sanchez hasn't been great in most games, nobody has said anything to the contrary.

Pogba has been very poor. Not playing with any confidence as are none of our players under jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don’t think he understands the meaning of moving the goalposts properly in fairness

• Advertisement

Pogba has been very poor. Not playing with any confidence as are none of our players under jose

And here comes the hyperbole.. jaysus :pac:

What about Lukaku? Jones? Bailly? Young? DDG? Rashford? Lingard? Matic? McTominay? And more mind you...

astradave wrote: »
    And here comes the hyperbole.. jaysus :pac:

What about Lukaku? Jones? Bailly? Young? DDG? Rashford? Lingard? Matic? McTominay? And more mind you...

Bailly playing with confidence? He hasnt played in months

Young has been awful

Rashford has regressed

Matic been poor last few months (looks tired)

billyhead wrote: »
    Di Maria playing like a completely different player to the one we saw at Utd:confused:

No he has been useless all night

Bailly playing with confidence? He hasnt played in months

Young has been awful

Rashford has regressed

Matic been poor last few months (looks tired)

Rashford came on last night and changed the game..

Matic was our best player the last 2 wins.

What about the rest of that list? Even mata came on and was great..

How are you saying that none of our players are playing with confidence.. come on are you really being serious?

If you are you can explain properly. And your point was that none of the players have any confidence under Jose.. Jose has been here 20 months and Bailly when fit looks to be playing with confidence under Jose

astradave wrote: »
    Rashford came on last night and changed the game..

Matic was our best player the last 2 wins.

What about the rest of that list? Even mata came on and was great..

How are you saying that none of our players are playing with confidence.. come on are you really being serious?

If you are you can explain properly. And your point was that none of the players have any confidence under Jose.. Jose has been here 20 months and Bailly when fit looks to be playing with confidence under Jose

We cant even string a few passes together in most games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Jose to Paris rumour mill is going to go into overdrive now.

• Advertisement

• Turtwig wrote: »

Another non saga made into a saga by rags... sigh

We cant even string a few passes together in most games

And you accuse others of moving the goalposts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Turtwig wrote: »

No It won't that's well put to bed I'd reckon it be Wenger linked or low or some other world cup coach that pulls a master stroke.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Another non saga made into a saga by rags... sigh
    Saga is a bit of an understatement. If you guys have so much as 12 seconds of apparent mediocrity it'll be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Big blow for psg

• Advertisement

Jose getting 400k a day for 4 days doing world cup analysis for russian tv.

That sort of money is sick

Saga is a bit of an understatement. If you guys have so much as 12 seconds of apparent mediocrity it'll be everywhere.

I'd rather a rumour about us looking to pinch Verrati from PSG

I'd rather a rumour about us looking to pinch Verrati from PSG

definitely do that. I've been begging all the fecking clubs to do it with years now. :(

That said he lost the head tonight and he is prone to doing it. Still, I really want to see him in a proper team.

Hococop wrote: »
    Big blow for psg

Delighted they out

Souness ripping into psg

definitely do that. I've been begging all the fecking clubs to do it with years now. :(

That said he lost the head tonight and he is prone to doing it. Still, I really want to see him in a proper team.

Getting sent off happens. A bit of fire in the belly is no harm IMO

Getting sent off happens. A bit of fire in the belly is no harm IMO

Charging at a ref is petulant.

• bangkok wrote: »
    Charging at a ref is petulant.

I hope he does it again

Because you know I'm Evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Turtwig wrote: »

The last club to snoop around veratti had one there best players taken from under them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rob316 wrote: »
    The last club to snoop around veratti had one there best players taken from under them.

Sure, aren't they already taking Fellaini anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lukaku has had as good a debut season as you could expect, Salah the only one I can think of who is better but he is having a one in a million type season, that is not a realistic expectation.

I think he is doing how we thought he would, very hard working and bags a lot of goals. I’d be disappointed if he didn’t build on this in the coming years however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who?

Barca. Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lukaku is the new Andy Cole. He’ll be loved by many for the goals he scores, and abused by many for the ones he doesn’t score.

It’s a good thing none of our players have release clauses so ain’t it :D we could always point them in Firmino’s direction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GSPfan wrote: »
    Lukaku is the new Andy Cole. He’ll be loved by many for the goals he scores, and abused by many for the ones he doesn’t score.

Good comparison, Cole did great things with Yorke we need to find a Yorke for Lukaku maybe one with raisins, nah wrong Yorke.

Cole and Yorke had a great partnership Sheringham and Solskjaer helped when things were barren oh to have four strikers of their calibre again would be so so sweet. Lukaku seems to be getting used as a sole striker with the feeder men sitting just behind him or out to the wings Rudd Van Nistelrooy operated in a similar fashion but he had Ronaldo and Scholes amongst others feeding him.

It's a tricky one and again this being Lukakus first season it will take time for him to build a partnership him and Pogba did great things at the start of the season hopefully they can reestablish that link to a similar level, Lingard Mata Rashford and Martial will take time to set a path of play with Lukaku too which as we seen last night is full of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lukaku is on track to hit 28 goals this season (~18 in the PL)

Over the last 17 years only the following United players have equalled or done better.

Yorke - 1 season
    RVN - 3 seasons
    Ronaldo - 1 season
    Rooney - 2 seasons
    RVP - 1 season
    Zlatan - 1 season

The guy will deserve some credit should he reach those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

jayo26 wrote: »
    Amazing what happens when you get away from park the bus jose.

Em......

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Em......

:D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/971151522259177473

"Mirror saying #MUFC are interested in signing Abdoulaye Doucoure from Watford.
    Sent scouts to watch the Frenchman last Saturday."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Haven’t taken much notice of him bar he’s scored a few goals to get lads decent FF points. Where does he play? I know he’s a Centre mid but these days there are 4/5 different positions in Centre mid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Haven’t taken much notice of him bar he’s scored a few goals to get lads decent FF points. Where does he play? I know he’s a Centre mid but these days there are 4/5 different positions in Centre mid :D

Box to box burst a gut run all day midfielder.

Kante style running with a bigger frame and a goal threat to boot. Very dynamic, and does the simple thing well on the ball in terms of passing. Haven't paid much attention to his touch and ability to create space as I haven't seen that much of Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Spurs best Liverpool 4-1 at home playing a defensive counter attacking game. 36% posession! No pressure on Poch to play attacking football at home afforded him that luxury to play that way as he does when spurs need to!. It seems like the most popular way of getting the better of liverpool and I expect Jose to employ it this Saturday.

So unless there is an early goal I expect a very boring game. 0-0 is actually a very good result given the way the team has been playing and the defensive cock ups of late.

Personally , like most, I would prefer to see a more attacking team but I don’t think the team has shown the kind of confidence yet to outplay a good side at their own game. I also think on paper , not losing to Liverpool is better then getting beaten and whatever fragile confidence they have being shattered going into Seville game.

I’d like to see united solidify top 4 spot and spend final few games experimenting. 2nd to 4th makes zero difference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Drumpot wrote: »

I’d like to see united solidify top 4 spot and spend final few games experimenting. 2nd to 4th makes zero difference at this stage.

If we somehow make good inroads into the Champions League and prioritise that, then maybe. Otherwise I disagree - after a terrible few years finishing second is important, finishing above Pool, Spurs and co even when we're not at our best. I think Jose has already commented on how good momentum finishing this season is important for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spurs best Liverpool 4-1 at home playing a defensive counter attacking game. 36% posession! No pressure on Poch to play attacking football at home afforded him that luxury to play that way as he does when spurs need to!. It seems like the most popular way of getting the better of liverpool and I expect Jose to employ it this Saturday.

So unless there is an early goal I expect a very boring game. 0-0 is actually a very good result given the way the team has been playing and the defensive cock ups of late.

Personally , like most, I would prefer to see a more attacking team but I don’t think the team has shown the kind of confidence yet to outplay a good side at their own game. I also think on paper , not losing to Liverpool is better then getting beaten and whatever fragile confidence they have being shattered going into Seville game.

Did you watch that game? Spurs were gifted two goals by Lovern. He had an absolute howler that day.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you watch that game? Spurs were gifted two goals by Lovern. He had an absolute howler that day.

But they won and Poch played defensive football at home. It’s something to remember when people are constantly giving out about Jose’s tactics. And Liverpool’s worst performances generally seem to be when they struggle to break teams down.

This doesn’t excuse Jose’s tactics in every game but I can see people complaining about playing defensively at home to Liverpool under pretty much any circumstance. This time 2 years ago, any united fan would take champions league qualification through Europa cup win and actually cruising to a top 4 spot the next season. But no everybody wants free flowing football. There will always be something that people are complaining about.

Should we want better football? Absolutely. But is it possible that we might have to accept this stuff while Jose moulds the team he wants? Yes it’s possible. Given Jose’s record at every club he has gone to, is it likely he will bring more success to the club? More likely then not. Can united outspend city or other major euro superpowers? No. So given all this information, I feel giving Jose time is the best chance of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

TitianGerm wrote: »

It doesn’t matter. Spurs won easily by playing that way.

If we somehow make good inroads into the Champions League and prioritise that, then maybe. Otherwise I disagree - after a terrible few years finishing second is important, finishing above Pool, Spurs and co even when we're not at our best. I think Jose has already commented on how good momentum finishing this season is important for next season

When I say experimenting, I don’t mean playing reserve players, I meant experiment with formations. People are complaining about the style of football, I don’t see why spending 5 or so games trying out different things would be any less beneficial then trying to win 5 games playing defensive , compact formation and playing for 2nd.

That said, I don’t care if we finish 2nd or 4th. Both get the exact same thing in terms of European football. I don’t know, Maybe for professional footballers it’s different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

After almost two years I don’t think Jose has done as good a job as he did at any of his other clubs in the same period. I would definitely accept his approach if we were as dogged and tactically in control as his former teams were. But the mainly c**p football combined with the inconsistency is a bit tiresome.

I’m happy enough for the time being to see how it develops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Should we want better football? Absolutely. But is it possible that we might have to accept this stuff while Jose moulds the team he wants? Yes it’s possible. Given Jose’s record at every club he has gone to, is it likely he will bring more success to the club? More likely then not. Can united outspend city or other major euro superpowers? No. So given all this information, I feel giving Jose time is the best chance of success.

This is a curious paragraph. When exactly do you think Jose will have the team he wants moulded? How many more players are needed, given he has already recruited the spine of a team and do you actually believe he will play the free flowing football you say we should want?
    You mention Joses track record for success, but he also has a track record for playing a particular way to get that success so I would say there is an inherent contradiction in your statement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement