Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You really love that gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/971392378723553281

"David de Gea is still waiting on a new contract offer from United. #mufc [Duncan Castles"]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/971392378723553281

"David de Gea is still waiting on a new contract offer from United. #mufc [Duncan Castles"]

bz6Fxxg.jpg
    Hopefully Woodward is finding the right wheel barrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »

Always a little unsure of what this type of contract talk means.

It just doesn't make sense to me - United wouldn't just offer a contact, so it makes no sense that he would be waiting on a contract offer, really.

I would expect (based on common sense and speculation) that Woodward/United have been in talks with DDG/Mendes for a while on this, and they are discussing various different requirements of the deal.

Maybe a formal offer has not been made, but I would assume they are still talking about what it needs to contain, when the offer is made.

• bangkok wrote: »
    You really love that gif

Absolutely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Headshot wrote: »
    bz6Fxxg.jpg

De Gea is demanding Woodward live up to his name by paying him as much as Sanchez.

41vNB2-t2yL._SY445_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

So disappointing that Pogba can't play for United the way Dembele does for Spurs. He has all the tools to do it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So disappointing that Pogba can't play for United the way Dembele does for Spurs. He has all the tools to do it too.

Dembele is the best midfielder in the league imo, pity about injuries really.. he can do it all..

Dybala has been very poor tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Tidy finish!

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Dybala has been very poor tonight

You had to reverse jinx him didn’t ya :D

We could do with Chiellini in our side!! What a defender

33 now, plays like he is 23 and looks like he is 53..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Weren't we heavily linked with him on a free transfer a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

With the way your reverse jinxing tonight I won't be surprised if he scored two own goals in injury time and gets sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That made my night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Spurs bottled it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Have to say I agree with what I read on twitter. Spurs are like Keegan's Newcastle..easy on the eye but won feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

FFS Spurs. Sick over that. Chucked it away.

But wonder now what that does to their season. I say if they go out of the FA Cup they will pack it in early with so many of them seeing a World Cup in the distance. Might be good for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Experience eh? Hard on Spurs to be in control and then to lose it like that but to a team who would not be nervous.

Shows why it is so important for United to be in similar positions. Concentration is so important at that level. You need to get there, learn as a group from the good and bad experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Poor old Spurs

The media wont like it one bit

BBC will probably cancel MOTD next weekend in a mark of respect :D

• GSPfan wrote: »
    FFS Spurs. Sick over that. Chucked it away.

But wonder now what that does to their season. I say if they go out of the FA Cup they will pack it in early with so many of them seeing a World Cup in the distance. Might be good for us.

Why??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I enjoyed it anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Forza Juve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why??

Which bit? The FFS Spurs bit?

I like Spurs. Always have. And generally I enjoy supporting the English teams in Europe to a point.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Forza Juve!

Oh yeah forgot your links to them :):)

Juve should be our second team in support of mars...... although Mick Wallace had links to them one time too so I'm torn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

jayo26 wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot your links to them :):)

Juve should be our second team in support of mars...... although Mick Wallace had links to them one time too so I'm torn :(

I'm actually no longer working for them but I still have a soft spot and the uniform!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm actually no longer working for them but I still have a soft spot and the uniform!

Ah that's ok then haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Simple question: Would a Jose Mourinho team have capitulated like Spurs did?

Yes.

We've seen United fall apart plenty. Against Spurs for example.

Yes.

I don't think so not from a leading position much???? Or have we?

Yes.

We wouldn’t have gave away the second goal if we were still in the lead anyways.. no way we would would be playing that high a line when leading the tie

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Yes.

There is not a hope that United under Mourinho would capitulate at home when 3-2 up on aggregate with two away goals in the bag.

“Media darlings” Spurs and their “media darling” manager Pochettino have shown again that they have feet of clay.

And some people want this guy as the next United manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

The Spurs game kind of was an advert for Mourinho, for all the failings Mourinho has or is perceived to have, letting games like that slip is certainly not one.
    Utd under Mourinho would've got out of that game with a ticket for the next round of that i have no doubt.
    Unfortunately the media pays little credence to managerial attributes that involve organisation and defensive stability(negativity they tend to call it) and therefore a fair share fans repeat the rubbish they hear.
    Diego Simeone is probably the best manager in world football the past 5-6 years yet because of his teams being based on defensive soundness and hardwork he's somehow looked at a level below Pep, Klopp etc.

• Advertisement

United under Mourinho would have invited Juve on to them to attack us continually for all of the second half.

Yes, we would not have played such a high line, we'd have been camped in our box trying desperately to hoof the ball as far up the pitch as possible every time we got it.

Would we have not conceded two goals? Maybe not, who knows? But i'm fairly certain in my own mind that we'd have conceded more than enough chances to concede two or more goals.

Just look at the Seville game - a side not as good as Juve - if we had conceded two or more goals in that game it would not have been surprising on the balance of play.

United under Mourinho would have invited Juve on to them to attack us continually for all of the second half.

Yes, we would not have played such a high line, we'd have been camped in our box trying desperately to hoof the ball as far up the pitch as possible every time we got it.

Would we have not conceded two goals? Maybe not, who knows? But i'm fairly certain in my own mind that we'd have conceded more than enough chances to concede two or more goals.

Just look at the Seville game - a side not as good as Juve - if we had conceded two or more goals in that game it would not have been surprising on the balance of play.

Spurs didn't invite juve on tho they threw away a lead similar that to what pool were doing all year.

Yes United would of day back and defended but if be more confident of United holding on to a lead like that then I would with them attacking juve.

Most games where we have thrown away games is when we have been attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Funny how people keep talking about DDG bailing United out or saving our skins in games . .

Salah for Liverpool ?

Hazzard for Chelsea ?

Kane for Spurs?

Ronaldo for Madrid ?

Messi for Barca ?

How many points would be dropped or wins would these teams get without these players ?

So United's exceptional player is our goalkeeper . . Why isn't it just accepted that its great that the team can rely on him when the defence fails ? Why is it mentioned in the negative (united NEED DDG) ? Its all a question on what point of view you wish to take with United. . Same with Jose. Either the glass is half full (United on an upward curve) or half empty (performances not good enough) with some people.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Funny how people keep talking about DDG bailing United out or saving our skins in games . .

Salah for Liverpool ?

Hazzard for Chelsea ?

Kane for Spurs?

Ronaldo for Madrid ?

Messi for Barca ?

How many points would be dropped or wins would these teams get without these players ?

So United's exceptional player is our goalkeeper . . Why isn't it just accepted that its great that the team can rely on him when the defence fails ? Why is it mentioned in the negative (united NEED DDG) ? Its all a question on what point of view you wish to take with United. . Same with Jose. Either the glass is half full (United on an upward curve) or half empty (performances not good enough) with some people.

The worrying thing is our goalkeeper has been our exceptional player for the past 5 years!!

Salah for Liverpool ?

Hazzard for Chelsea ?

Kane for Spurs?

Ronaldo for Madrid ?

Messi for Barca ?

Because DDG bails us out a disproportionate amount of times in comparison to any top club - because we concede way too many chances, way too many good chances.

If United are SETTING UP so that we need DDG to bail us out, as he did more times vs Arsenal than Ederson has for City all season, then Mourinho should be immediately fired for setting the team up in such an insane way.

United should be setting up to provide a platform for greatness to Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku - not DDG.

The difference when you are pointing to Salah etc is that you set up your team to put your best players in position to hurt the opposition. You don't set up your team so you require your best player to be world class to just stop the other team from scoring a hatful. That just points to the defence being crap.

• Advertisement

Because DDG bails us out a disproportionate amount of times in comparison to any top club - because we concede way too many chances, way too many good chances.

If United are SETTING UP so that we need DDG to bail us out, as he did more times vs Arsenal than Ederson has for City all season, then Mourinho should be immediately fired for setting the team up in such an insane way.

United should be setting up to provide a platform for greatness to Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku - not DDG.

The difference when you are pointing to Salah etc is that you set up your team to put your best players in position to hurt the opposition. You don't set up your team so you require your best player to be world class to just stop the other team from scoring a hatful. That just points to the defence being crap.

Again, you focus on the negative that we need DDG, not that we have him. You seem to be only capable of spotting the negatives without weighing up the positives. When deciding on tactics, you also work out the percentages. Are the team capable of grinding out a draw. The defence isn't as strong as it should be, but having an exceptional goalkeeper strengthens the defence by default.

United are not setting up purposely to rely on DDG, but their transfer strategy of the last 5 years appears to be to spend big on forwards , midfielders and sort of mickey mouse the defence (bit like Madrid). The quality of DDG has definitely helped, but like I said you can say that about any top star at any club.

There seems to be almost a bit of embarrassment from some fans. I don't see the difference between relying heavily on one player in a different position. It means one way or another a team needs to compensate for the loss of that top player. United have DDG, he seldom gets injured and is an exceptional world class performer. That makes the defence better by his inclusion and saying "DDG bailed united out" is no different to teams that rely heavily on their top stars.

If DDG leaves United, they will most certainly have to strengthen defence. Its not ideal that DDG has had to perform the heroics he has done, but its also not all bad either. I don't think anybody thinks its ideal that the United defence has been so shaky over the years, but the positive is that if Jose gets the defence fixed up we could be like his strongest teams and near on impenetrable . .

Again, you focus on the negative that we need DDG, not that we have him. You seem to be only capable of spotting the negatives without weighing up the positives. When deciding on tactics, you also work out the percentages. Are the team capable of grinding out a draw. The defence isn't as strong as it should be, but having an exceptional goalkeeper strengthens the defence by default.

United are not setting up purposely to rely on DDG, but their transfer strategy of the last 5 years appears to be to spend big on forwards , midfielders and sort of mickey mouse the defence (bit like Madrid). The quality of DDG has definitely helped, but like I said you can say that about any top star at any club.

There seems to be almost a bit of embarrassment from some fans. I don't see the difference between relying heavily on one player in a different position. It means one way or another a team needs to compensate for the loss of that top player. United have DDG, he seldom gets injured and is an exceptional world class performer. That makes the defence better by his inclusion and saying "DDG bailed united out" is no different to teams that rely heavily on their top stars.

If DDG leaves United, they will most certainly have to strengthen defence. Its not ideal that DDG has had to perform the heroics he has done, but its also not all bad either. I don't think anybody thinks its ideal that the United defence has been so shaky over the years, but the positive is that if Jose gets the defence fixed up we could be like his strongest teams and near on impenetrable . .

Our attacking and general play has been crap for months. The first 60min v palace was embarassing

Our attacking and general play has been crap for months. The first 60min v palace was embarassing

I am not sure what you are responding to, I never mentioned our attacking or general play being good. .

My point is quite simple. Top teams rely on their top players. I wasn't suggesting the team or defence should be built around DDG bailing the team out, but its funny how the narrative is "bail out" when DDG performs heroics but its world class play from top forwards when they bail their teams out of trouble. It nearly implies that when DDG has a top game its luck . . Its not, its an exceptional player doing what they do best and helping out their team when they need them most . .

The plan isn't to rely on DDG, but the team benefits from his class . . I don't see the problem with this aspect. But it doesn't mean that they shouldn't try to improve the defence that clearly has problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf one of the least mentioned things here is probably one of the most undeniable issues we have.

HOW in the shíte are we so awful at set pieces. Whatever about open attacking play we pose minimal threat from set pieces which is bizzarre given our height advantage over most teams.

I am not sure what you are responding to, I never mentioned our attacking or general play being good. .

My point is quite simple. Top teams rely on their top players. I wasn't suggesting the team was built around DDG bailing the team out, but its funny how the narrative is "bail out" when DDG performs heroics but its world class play from top forwards when they bail their teams out of trouble. It nearly implies that when DDG has a top game its luck . .

The plan isn't to rely on DDG, but the team benefits from his class . . I don't see the problem with this aspect. But it doesn't mean that they shouldn't try to improve the defence that clearly has problems.

Do we benefit from pogbas class, or sanchez class or martial or lukakus??? Why cant we set up our team to rely on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bit of an improvement on Lindelof anyway...

Do we benefit from pogbas class, or sanchez class or martial or lukakus??? Why cant we set up our team to rely on them

That's a different conversation.

Considering Sanchez has only joined, I think he can be forgiven for requiring a bit of bedding in time. Although it would be nice if a player of his quality hit the ground running.

With Pogba, I don't know what the problem is there. The assumption that those supporting him take is that its Jose's fault for not building the team around him or building him up confidence wise. There maybe some truth to that viewpoint but I think there may also be a case that Pogba has not shown enough quality (at United) to warrant this sort of role. He is at the club long enough to of made himself undroppable but it hasn't happened. My guess is that Jose doesn't think he is in the Zidane kind of level yet and that the team needs hard workers (look at the running Sanchez does) more then flair players right now.

In Martial's case I feel a part of the problem is that we are overloaded with players who can play in his position. Heis easy to drop if he has one bad game. Not just that though, he is only 22 and players that young are regularly inconsistent. At United , a manager and team are not afforded the luxury of off games. That's why bringing in more experience (Sanzhez, Zlatan etc) was important.

I think the first two seasons for Jose have been tough. Trying to prioritize a champions league spot while rebuilding the club back to the top is a massive challenge. I don't think klopp or Poch have anywhere near the same expectation or pressure on them. Money helps but isn't a guarantee of success, so I feel that Jose has done well with what he has had to do.

I am disappointed as everybody else about performances. I am also not overly confident of beating Seville handy or even winning against Liverpool. But I still think the club has made progress because we can afford to lose 3 out of our last 9 games and still prob be in top 4. That's a world away from the feelings the last 4 years.

I genuinely feel that if Jose gets the defence fixed (maybe a fit bailly ?), a winger and central midfielder, that this squad will be ready to mount a serious Challenge. I feel a lot of his decisions have been fire fighting to keep the show on the road. So my gut tells me when he can start going on the offensive, we will see a different team, with a different confidence and a much improved level of performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jose's United team would not score 2 goals away to Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

There is not a hope that United under Mourinho would capitulate at home when 3-2 up on aggregate with two away goals in the bag.

“Media darlings” Spurs and their “media darling” manager Pochettino have shown again that they have feet of clay.

And some people want this guy as the next United manager!

Is this the part where you compare him to Phil Brown again? :rolleyes:

We haven't even been able to play effective "Mourinho" football this year nevermind anything else. We tried to against Sevilla and on the balance of things should've got tonked. City and Spurs pissed all over us and noone will call themselves surprised if it happens this weekend too.

As an aside, whether intentional or not, your post read a lot like a Donald Trump tweet in it's structure and emphasis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement