Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Never mentioned earlier but Rom was brilliant today.

Assisted the first goal, did the donkey work for the second and was tireless throughout the game.

It's clear to me he is loving his football and loving being at the club.

He is fast becoming one of my favourite players at the club.

Bailly also was a fcuking monster the whole game, which considering he is only back from injury and that was I think his first start, against THAT attack, is fantastic.

McT reminds me of a young Carrick.

Nothing flashy about him but he is cool as a cucumber and does what he has been asked with aplomb.

I really couldn't be happier with how the game went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The second best attack in the league had their last shot on target in the 31st minute today. We just didn't play fair by tackling and marking them.

Any team that stops them from scoring does it by parking the bus.

Going by the way they discuss how bad our team is and how bad they performed Jose must be some manager to have them in second in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Very important win today. Bailly immense, McTominay very mature in his decisions.

And a big shout out to Fellaini who did very well when he came in.

Looking like from 6th to 2nd by Jose. Impressive.

The second best attack in the league had their last shot on target in the 31st minute today. We just didn't play fair by tackling and marking them.

How dare we defend well.

How very dare we.

Very important win today. Bailly immense, McTominay very mature in his decisions.

And a big shout out to Fellaini who did very well when he came in.

Looking like from 6th to 2nd by Jose. Impressive.

Finish 2nd, get to the CL semis, win the FA Cup.

Would be hard to argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

jayo26 wrote: »
    Any team that stops them from scoring does it by parking the bus.

Going by the way they discuss how bad our team is and how bad they performed Jose must be some manager to have them in second in the table.

It’s the same oul story if Plan A doesn’t work then instead of reverting to Plan B they blame the opposition for not coming out and attacking them. The real problem is the lack of a Plan B from the gaffer

Finish 2nd, get to the CL semis, win the FA Cup.

Would be hard to argue with that.

You could bet your life on it one or two would give it a good go all the same.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It’s the same oul story if Plan A doesn’t work then instead of reverting to Plan B they blame the opposition for not coming out and attacking them. The real problem is the lack of a Plan B from the gaffer

Yep been obvious past couple of years and the constant blaming of scapegoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Lucky you my job sends me to the little office in spare room of my house.

Isn't that where ms jayo sends you too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

DM_7 wrote:
    Hope he parties like brinty would if he was a 20 yeard old footballer.

There ain't no party like a Brinty on tour party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Assisted the first goal, did the donkey work for the second and was tireless throughout the game.

Have to agree with this. I thought he was excellent too. Like the Palace game on Monday, he showed his passion and love for the club again today when the goals went in. Earlier in the week I came across a clip (probably was posted in here) of Neville celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans a few years ago and wondered who in the current squad could match that level of passion and genuine love for the club. Lukaku and Herrera came to mind, amongst others, so it was nice to see that again today. I enjoyed listening to him speak with Henry before the game also. Came across as a very nice and intelligent guy. It seems he's well aware of what's expected of him at the club and aware of the criticism he gets also, but he seems fully prepared to take it all on.

I posted a few weeks about how we were entering a season defining few weeks and that I was looking forward to seeing if Lukaku, and also Mourinho, can step up and deliver. So far they have done brilliantly. Another 2 massive games coming up now on Tuesday and next Saturday so hopefully the good form will continue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Huge win today for the season. Sets up more chances to prioritise cup competition games as we get close to season end.

To start off the vital series of games (v Huddersfield, Seville, Chelsea, Palace, Liverpool, Seville, Brighton) with progress in the cup, an away draw in champions leaue and three leage wins is brilliant. I know performances were not perfect but results are close.

Need to get the wins Tuesday and Saturday now.

• Have to agree with this. I thought he was excellent too. Like the Palace game on Monday, he showed his passion and love for the club again today when the goals went in. Earlier in the week I came across a clip (probably was posted in here) of Neville celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans a few years ago and wondered who in the current squad could match that level of passion and genuine love for the club. Lukaku and Herrera came to mind, amongst others, so it was nice to see that again today. I enjoyed listening to him speak with Henry before the game also. Came across as a very nice and intelligent guy. it seems he's well aware of what's expected of him at the club and aware of the criticism he gets also, but he seems fully prepared to take it all on.

I posted a few weeks about how we were entering a season defining few weeks and that I was looking forward to seeing if Lukaku, and also Mourinho, can step up and deliver. So far they have done brilliantly. Another 2 massive games coming up now on Tuesday and next Saturday so hopefully the good form will continue.
    Yes deaddoneky yuuuupppp
    Good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The week we played Chelsea on the Sunday, a mate of mine sent a screenshot of the league table from LiveScore literally seconds after Liverpool took the lead in their game on the Saturday.
    “United could be down to 4th by Monday” he chirped.

I wonder will I get a screenshot after the Spurs game tomorrow or will I have to remind him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have to agree with this. I thought he was excellent too. Like the Palace game on Monday, he showed his passion and love for the club again today when the goals went in. Earlier in the week I came across a clip (probably was posted in here) of Neville celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans a few years ago and wondered who in the current squad could match that level of passion and genuine love for the club. Lukaku and Herrera came to mind, amongst others, so it was nice to see that again today. I enjoyed listening to him speak with Henry before the game also. Came across as a very nice and intelligent guy. it seems he's well aware of what's expected of him at the club and aware of the criticism he gets also, but he seems fully prepared to take it all on.

Who are you and how did you get deaddonkey15’s password ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Woke up this morning, realised I had no obligation other then calling up.to the mother tomorrow, so I put on a retro jersey and watched the match

I said **** it and grabbed a beer, 13 minutes in grabbed another, 26 minutes in grabbed another, RASHFORD!!!!!!!

kept grabbing beers as the suspense of a possible victory got nerves going, so more berr was grabbed, 8 hours later listening to quenns of the stone age playing football manager celebrating. I dont get to do this often, this sweet victory allowed me to.

Who knows I might even get a bag of chips later and start snapchatting my liverpool supporting mates for the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who are you and how did you get deadfonkey15’s password ?

Alivedonkey15?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Haven’t had a chance to see any of the game yet, but from what I hear, Young did a great job today. Proved me wrong anyway. After palace I was scared of him being up against Salah, but what do I know?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

2edtqtc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Bailly also was a fcuking monster the whole game, which considering he is only back from injury and that was I think his first start, against THAT attack, is fantastic.

McT reminds me of a young Carrick.

Nothing flashy about him but he is cool as a cucumber and does what he has been asked with aplomb.

I really couldn't be happier with how the game went.

Lukaku been doing that now the last few weeks, delighted to see he's getting the recoginition now, as he's been excellent since the xmas brea and even scoring before that and got some heat from it. Plays for the badge everytime and looks like he gets what it is to be a man utd player.

After DDG he's second on the team sheet

Edit:

Been a big lukaku fan since he joined. Stuck up for him here when i can. You couldnt give me two moratas for lukaku right now. Maybe harping on him to mich but he doesnt get the credot deserved with the piss poor service thats been behind him, while he's held up the the ball bringing players into the game.

My only gripe with him was that he never expected the unexpected in the box to pounce on balls. Hopefully learned fron last week as thats hoe he got his goal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Really happy that Mata played today and to a high standard. He keeps seeing off so called star players and it is is a bit if a worry that today United may have been better off with him over Pogba.

Thought it was gas that the first goal was so similar to Martial v Spurs at home.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Really happy that Mata played today and to a high standard. He keeps seeing off so called star players and it is is a bit if a worry that today United may have been better off with him over Pogba.

Thought it was gas that the first goal was so similar to Martial v Spurs at home.

Mata the most intelligent player in the 11.

And he's such a fkin gent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How did Matic play?

Nalz wrote: »
    How did Matic play?

Thought he was very good personally, covered alot of spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Is the match thread worth a read through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Lithium93_ wrote: »

We won. Course it is :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really wish Mata had buried that chance. He probably had time to not even go for the spectacular but control and bury. 3-0 before half time would have been a massive kick in the teeth for Liverpool and the game could have been a lot nastier for them then.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I really wish Mata had buried that chance. He probably had time to not even go for the spectacular but control and bury. 3-0 before half time would have been a massive kick in the teeth for Liverpool and the game could have been a lot nastier for them then.

That's was the sickening thing about it he had loads of time and space the ball from Sanchez was a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Lukaku is really growing into a serious player for us.

His passion is great to see, you can tell he loves being at the club.

7 goals in last 3 games and 4 of them against top six clubs.

#busparkingclub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im watching Match of the Day

Good Times ! :)

On another note, i ****ing hope to see West Ham relegated.

West Brom (gone)
    Stoke
    And then West Ham

fingers crossed

Headshot wrote: »
    Im watching Match of the Day

Good Times ! :)

On another note, i ****ing hope to see West Ham relegated.

West Brom (gone)
    Stoke
    And then West Ham

fingers crossed

WHU are awful, be glad to see the back of them for a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ve skipped a few pages but I’m just after watching MOTD and how in hell does anyone think Mane tripping Fellaini up is a penalty???????

Mane is behind Fellaini, the ball is the far side of Fellaini, and he pokes his leg in front of Fellaini to beg for a peno. If anything it’s a free out.

Lampard on MOTD is a fookin thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As sweet as that win was, if we get past Sevilla then I'm dreading drawing Liverpool.

I do not fancy us putting together another almost flawless defensive effort for 180 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

J. Marston wrote: »
    As sweet as that win was, if we get past Sevilla then I'm dreading drawing Liverpool.

I do not fancy us putting together another almost flawless defensive effort for 180 minutes.

Do you think they want to get us?

Do they fck.

No matter who you get, it's the quarters. You'll need to be flawless for 180 mins pretty much everywhere.

They are no easy games left in champions league Now I know it's cliche and all but its true.

What's the point in spending a complete season hoping we make the top four to play big games and then spend the next season hoping we avoid the big teams?

Bring them on I'd say if anything today proved that the players need these games to draw the best out of them and Jose has lost none of his tactical spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’ve skipped a few pages but I’m just after watching MOTD and how in hell does anyone think Mane tripping Fellaini up is a penalty???????

Mane is behind Fellaini, the ball is the far side of Fellaini, and he pokes his leg in front of Fellaini to beg for a peno. If anything it’s a free out.

Lampard on MOTD is a fookin thick.

After seeing the replay its 100% a peno. Makes the win all the better

I would love to get them. My biggest fear is either getting a European powerhouse or the likes of City who are better than us. Getting Liverpool would be brilliant.

• Advertisement

• Lithium93_ wrote: »

giphy.gif

bangkok wrote: »

Never change! Xoxo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The mirror saying that we've offered Sandro a "double your money" deal in order to sign him ahead of our rivals.

In other news, Liverpool to offer £40 million for Butland...Klopp is probably snapchatting him as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The mirror saying that we've offered Sandro a "double your money" deal in order to sign him ahead of our rivals.

In other news, Liverpool to offer £40 million for Butland...Klopp is probably snapchatting him as we speak.

Best LB in the world after Marcelo imo..

Imagine if Mata did score that goal, that would be 2 bicycle kick goals in 2 United wins against Liverpool..."So, Mr. Mata, would you like that statue put beside the one of Sir Alex, or in a completely different part of the stadium?"

It seems that Mata didn't know he had that time and space when the ball came to him, that there was time to take the ball down and place it into the net. Out of all of us looking at it again on MOTD, you can bet that Juan Mata is the most frustrated.

Well done to he and Rashford today. After their impressive substitute appearances last Monday, I was hoping to see them in the team for this game. I thought that it wouldn't happen, because it would mean leaving out Pogba and Martial to put them in the team. Now, I hope Pogba and Martial recover as quickly as possible, but it was nice to see that we could get the win with neither of these important players in the team.

Elsewhere...

I'm someone who was worried about the 'slump' and the style of play over the last few weeks/months (what exactly was our style?) but those two wins against Chelsea and Liverpool are huge. No, they don't right the wrongs of Spurs, Newcastle and the first leg against Sevilla, but it shows me that those results weren't part of a growing downward trend. In between those wins, there was the comeback against Palace, another sign of strength and character in this team.

I've seen the narrative grow since the result today - '2nd to 4th, sure it doesn't matter where you finish once you're in the top 4'. Each team and each fan are entitled to their own opinion on that, but as a United fan it needs to be 2nd for me now that it's not going to be 1st.

That's not so I can laugh at my Liverpool-supporting friends because we finished above them. It has nothing to do with Liverpool, and everything to do with United's league finishes over the last 4 seasons - 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, they are just not league finishes which should be associated with this club.

Finishing 3rd or 4th says to me that we still have to contend with Liverpool/Chelsea before even thinking about challenging the best team in the league. I know it's not a case of the team who finish 2nd in the league this season have automatically the best chance of challenging the winners next season, but we just need to be as close as we can to that best team by the time the season ends.

We haven't cemented 2nd place yet, but I for one will be disappointed somewhat if we end up 4th by the end of the season. There might be no difference in the CL qualifying places, but for me as a United fan of the last 30 years, there is still a difference.

I won't be outright celebrating 2nd btw - Just for those who might think 'Yeah but in the last 30 years, if United finished 2nd it was a bitter disappointment for you as a fan, now you're lauding it!' - Nope, not lauding or celebrating it, just stating the obvious. It's the bare minimum we should be aiming for. Especially with the investment in playing and coaching personnel in the post-Fergie years, especially with the limbo we are coming from in the Moyes/LVG years.

I love Mata as a person as he seems like an absolute saint but if we don’t buy a right sided player this Summer i give up. A right sided player for Jose is a left footer so we need a left footer.

A right sided player, 2 centre mids and a left or right back as Ashley Young is cover for both positions if we struggle.

bangkok wrote: »

But its not........a peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jayo26 wrote: »

They are no easy games left in champions league Now I know it's cliche and all but its true.
    rit.
    Maybe not ‘easy’ per se, but I’d fancy us to take Roma or shakhtar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Never change! Xoxo.

Ref didnt give it but on looking at a replay fellaini took him out of it. Kicked mane and didnt win the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Watched Rashfords first goal a few more times since the match jesus it was something special.

Hes been a bit off the boil at times this season and has found it hard to get into the team but the lad is a serious serious talent. If we look after him and Martial theres potential there for both of them to become amazing top level players for the club.

During commentary on sky at some point either before or after his second goal Neville was speaking about people doubting his future at the club. I really wanted him to throw a further few digs in especially towards the likes of Jamie Redknapp whos been doing nothing but spouting ****e saying his place was gone with Sanchez in and he needs to move on for Englands sake.

Bet they where bitter as **** to see him win the game for a team id imagine most of them hate deep down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement