Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Can we keep this thread even remotely on topic please? Not trying to back seat mod, but would be good to talk about our decent win at the w/e, how to play Pogba and Sanchez in the same team and the two very important fixtures we have coming up this week.

Will pogba be fit for sevilla game even??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

bangkok wrote: »
    Will pogba be fit for sevilla game even??

Might be a blessing in disguise if he isn't. The midfield looked great at the weekend. Although I maintain that Sanchez was poor

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Might be a blessing in disguise if he isn't. The midfield looked great at the weekend. Although I maintain that Sanchez was poor

Yea but liverpools midfield was very poor and pogba imo is our best outfield player.

Yea i agree, sanchez was poor and has been since he joined. Dont know what is wrong with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Prefer Pogba stay injured and keep same XI & System.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Meh I like Carragher as a pundit.

Kirstie Gallagher still has a job with sky and she was charged with drink driving recently. Shouldnt be the end for him either. Let him take a few weeks off unpaid.

It was a massively scummy thing to do all the same.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Prefer Pogba stay injured and keep same XI & System.

Our biggest game of the season coming up and you would prefer our star player to be injured! Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My personal opinion has always been Sanchez should be in for Mata, playing with freedom from the right.

A number of reasons for this:

Sanchez and Pogba both on the left is a defensive problem imo.
    Sanchez for Mata should provide more direct pace and attacking on the right which is something we have lacked.
    Sanchez coming in from the right is aided by Valencia offering width on the right.

However....

Sanchez has been poor and Pogba kinda poor himself too (questions over deployment... but poor).

Mata deserves a starting spot and Matic/McTominay are providing a solid, balanced and working midfield.

At the moment those three have to start vs Seville - and I think Rashford should be starting to - so I can't see why Pogba and Sanchez would both start. I don't think i'd be able to argue against benching one of them, and assuming Pogba was fit and I would bench Sanchez (as I prefer the balance of the side with 3 midfielders rather than 2 and Sanchez off the front.

Our biggest game of the season coming up and you would prefer our star player to be injured! Wtf

Beat Liverpool fine without "star player". Is it any wonder our attack is generally clunky when we have to keep switching formations every bloody match. Of course Alexis would struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

A number of reasons for this:

Sanchez and Pogba both on the left is a defensive problem imo.

I thought Sanchez was excellent defensively yesterday especially in the 2nd half when we were under pressure.

Id prefer Sanhez on the wing doing some tracking back, constantly losing the ball but creating the odd chance over Pogba in the middle not tracking back, losing the ball a decent amount in dangerous positions creating the odd chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Our "star player" is a liability in the big games. This is a huge game Tuesday night need to be very disciplined.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Carragher getting the sack would cap a fantastic weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A morally reprehensible act. There’s an old saying “I’d rather be punched than spat on” It absolutely disgusts me.

Where I grew up and you got into a row, anyone that spat on you got no mercy. One fella used to do it regularly, needless to say he was the one that got the most clatters.

Yea but liverpools midfield was very poor and pogba imo is our best outfield player.

Yea i agree, sanchez was poor and has been since he joined. Dont know what is wrong with him

He seems to be trying too hard,he should just relax and play his own game.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Our "star player" is a liability in the big games. This is a huge game Tuesday night need to be very disciplined.

Against chelsea he was good.

We also need to score a couple of goals tuesday night as i think sevilla will get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been good reading over the last few pages since the game(SO MANY PAGES!?!?!)

Nothing to add that hasn't been said or discussed already.

A really good performance, a really good win. Was very uneasy in the second half at the noticeable retreat, the OG perfectly typifying why I take issue with that sort of rearguard action, one mistake and you just compile pressure on yourself. But all things considered there was a number of positives and generally all round good performances, bar Sanchez again....which is obviously a massive concern for me at this point. You expect a domestic signing of his quality to hit the ground running. He has been absolutely shocking since he signed.

All round happy out. For a "pety" issue, thought the home fans were poor booing McTominay, who was 100% correct in that passage of play to retain some possession during an onslaught and I'm glad Jose made such a public display of applauding him.

Bailly back is absolutely brilliant also. He was incredible and Smallings game, I've no doubt, improved because of him beside him. Need to keep that guy fit, he's our first choice CB.

Also credit where it's due, I don't rate Ashley Young and have never rated him at his time at the club. Felt he arrived on a reputation and proceeded to have a couple of decent games a season which isn't good enough. And its been the same in recent years, and this season where I feel he has no place being first choice LB, but he was excellent on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

If Pogba is fit, he plays. It would make more sense to give Sanchez the Mata role BUT I think Mata is in better form than Sanchez.

McTominay called up to Scotland squad for upcoming friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The game v Sevilla is going to need a different approach to the Liverpool game and as such (with our/their midfield not being bypassed at every opportunity) I would hope Pogba is fit. I would play himself, Matic and McTominay in midfield,Sanchez on one flank and Rashford on the other getting in and around Lukaku.

Young was great at the weekend but still I would play Shaw for more of an attacking threat and someone who can swing it in with his left rather then needing to check back the majority of the time. Himself and Valencia providing the width when Sanchez and Rashford inevitably drift infield, more so Sanchez.

We were set up as a 442/4411 a lot of the time against Pool and that might happen again with Sanchez off Lukaku and Mata on the right of midfield with Rashford on the left, this does not leave a place for Pogba though so I am not sure it is likely. Maybe Pogba taking Rashfords place or Matas but switching flanks....it is a problem for Jose, but not the worst one to have tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Big call for Mourinho on Tues if Pogba is fit, Pogba really needs to get his act together regarding discipline and concentration. McTominay and Matic have it in abundance for the centre mid role. No doubting Pogba has the skill but needs to work on his "Head " and get yo read the game better .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba not training with United squad so he will be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lukaku seemed to be more engagingly active without Pogba on Saturday moving about from the striker role out to the wing and passing in the ball quite a bit if Pogba returns I can see Lukaku reverting to the wait and see if a pass gets to me type position if Pogba is fit keep him on the bench I'd like to see more of the Alexis Rashford Mata system from Saturday.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Pogba not training with United squad so he will be out.

he could do some training later today, wouldnt rule him out yet

Lukaku seemed to be more engagingly active without Pogba on Saturday moving about from the striker role out to the wing and passing in the ball quite a bit if Pogba returns I can see Lukaku reverting to the wait and see if a pass gets to me type position if Pogba is fit keep him on the bench I'd like to see more of the Alexis Rashford Mata system from Saturday.

Exactly we functioned much better as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

secman wrote: »
    Big call for Mourinho on Tues if Pogba is fit, Pogba really needs to get his act together regarding discipline and concentration. McTominay and Matic have it in abundance for the centre mid role. No doubting Pogba has the skill but needs to work on his "Head " and get yo read the game better .

I don't think he's capable of playing in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1, or at least of doing it effectively...

I wouldn't rule you out of agreeing with anyone either but it's unlikely to happen.

And he last trained on Friday - so its not like his fitness will have dropped. If he has a gash on his leg (or similar) it could simply be precaution to not have him training today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't mind spitting but that's not just spitting and it don't matter of it landed or not he tried to spit in someone's car it really is a terrible thing to do.

Saying that I don't think the man should be sacked over it I'm far from his number one fan I think he is a useless pundit but there is enough over the top reactions by companies trying to save face by sacking people for making mistakes.

One of the girls reading the news was caught drink driving slightly over the limit with her kids in the back of the car I haven't heard anything about that but I'm nearly sure she is back to work.

Punish him and move on that's all it needs.

‘Twas Kirsty... and she was 3 times over the limit at 9am.. some bender that was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Been away from boards during the weekend but no doubt this place was in high spirits. Was a great day of sport and obviously delighted with the result.

Despite the performance and win I would use the old saying that one swallow does not make a summer, in relation to people calling to drop Pogba.

I was extremely critical and against the re-signing of Pogba when it was happening, many a debate in here about giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's come in with such high expectations, has shown his ability at times but needs to up his game. He doesn't strike me as a player who would turn it around if he was dropped to get a reaction, seems more like a player who needs to play.

With the money involved expectations are always high, and I think he gets a hard time in the media and fans a like by not meeting these lofty expectations but if Pogba is fit I'm fully for starting him. He's a talented player who should be seen as a game change in what he has ability to do, we just need to see it consistently done.

Yes the game was good against Pool the other day but for me we can't just give up on Pogba as some sort of quick fix. Yes it is up to the player to play the role being demanded of them but it's also up for José to find an approach that suits his style. He is by far one of the most skilfully gifted players in our team and we need to take advantage of that.

I completely understand people who think the team performs better without him, and I get the reasoning behind dropping him to see if that continues, just personally think if you are going to drop a player of that quality for reasons that he isn't suiting the style, suggests that either the style of football won't change or you believe he wont be able to adapt. And if that's the case I can't imagine the player having a long career at the club.

Anyway apologies for the rant, just had to get it out.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rule you out of agreeing with anyone either but it's unlikely to happen.

wtf is your problem? the last while now all of your posts aimed at me are having sly digs thrown in. no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Martial fit for Sevilla, Pogba trained but Jose not sure if he'll be ready.

And he last trained on Friday - so its not like his fitness will have dropped. If he has a gash on his leg (or similar) it could simply be precaution to not have him training today.

exactly he also seemed in good spirits messing around with lingard and rashford in his house after liverpool game

wtf is your problem? the last while now all of your posts aimed at me are having sly digs thrown in. no need for it

They weren't ment as sly digs they were ment as obvious digs because no matter what is said you go against opinions or you say nothing at all generally.

I said it to you before So they ain't sly digs and yes I shouldn't of made another dig about it its uncalled for so for that I'm sorry just won't engage again.

They weren't ment as sly digs they were ment as obvious digs because no matter what is said you go against opinions or you say nothing at all generally.

I said it to you before So they ain't sly digs and yes I shouldn't of made another dig about it its uncalled for so for that I'm sorry just won't engage again.

i go with them if i believe in them, i wont if i dont. no big deal, its a discussion forum. whats the point if everyone all agrees with each other.

and the few things i have argued against have turned out to be true

engage all you want, just no need for the sly digs

Frank de boer must have upset Jose with his comments about rashford. Jose just called him worst manager in history of premier league.

Statistically he is spot on at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Delighted Phil back training. Wonder if it's a case of Bailly and Smalling for the league games will we see Phil finally used for Cup and Europe games now.

Interesting comments from Vidic last week regarding Jones and Smalling and their lack of support when they broke into the team. Some of it I don't agree with.
    "It didn't help them because they didn't have a more experienced player to pick their brain when they played"

"If Phil Jones is 24 and playing alongside someone who is 34, the player who is 34 years old is using his brain more than the 24-year-old.

"To rise, he needs to be encouraged a bit and made to feel comfortable in his shoes.

"If you lose that belief and think: 'Should I be here, or here, or be here, then it's difficult to play.

"So that didn't help them.

"Even if they do something bad, you say: 'OK, he's 24 but where was I to help him?"
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-vidic-smalling-jones-14389084

I get his overall point about lack of a truly experienced CB beside them when they were playing, since they both mainly played with eachother (no doubt someone will shatter this opinion with some stats) but I do think there were plenty of players and staff around them to help. Also believe it's just a popular thing for people to make fun of them. Both players I think are good. I personally rate Jones higher than Smalling.

Both have not lived up to their potentials, there is still more time for Jones but he needs a consistent partnership now to do so, looked like it was happening with Bailly earlier this season. I honestly think had Bailly not gotten injured we would still be playing with them two at CB and it would have continued to work.
    No intentions of sparking up a Jones/Smalling debate as we've had plenty, and I know many don't rate them at the level required, just thought was an interesting quote.

Carrick to retire at the end of season thinner knew this already.

Carrick to retire at the end of season thinner knew this already.

Saw that, I wonder if McTominay could step up as a long term replacement and save us £60 million.

was carricks retirement not announced months ago? he was going to be joining the coaching staff as well

• Advertisement

Saw that, I wonder if McTominay could step up as a long term replacement and save us £60 million.

I think long term Scott will be brilliant but **** I'd be worried about counting on him going into next season. He is still developing and will be prone to loss of form and what not surely.

I think long term Scott will be brilliant but **** I'd be worried about counting on him going into next season. He is still developing and will be prone to loss of form and what not surely.

I'd have him as our Fellaini replacement rather than Carrick.

Big, strong, competent, solid on the ball, carries out his tactical instruction. I don't think he has the touch or vision required to play as a deep play maker, but as a solid midfield/squad option I think he could well slot in for Fellaini.

carragher suspended from sky

I'd have him as our Fellaini replacement rather than Carrick.

Big, strong, competent, solid on the ball, carries out his tactical instruction. I don't think he has the touch or vision required to play as a deep play maker, but as a solid midfield/squad option I think he could well slot in for Fellaini.

I actually think he is a like for like for Carrick for sure he may not have the big passing skills of Carrick yet but some of his vision and passing against pool was excellent he played in some nice ground balls for lukaku to run onto.

Problem is we are only judging him on a hand full of games he could turn out to be the next januzaj as easily as the next Carrick so only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

carragher suspended from sky

Link?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Link?

Announcement made about 2.30. It's in the other thread about the incident.

I actually think he is a like for like for Carrick for sure he may not have the big passing skills of Carrick yet but some of his vision and passing against pool was excellent he played in some nice ground balls for lukaku to run onto.

Problem is we are only judging him on a hand full of games he could turn out to be the next januzaj as easily as the next Carrick so only time will tell.

I dunno, I have seen him (albeit very limited) in youth football, where he played up front a good proportion. I've not seen anything suggesting a deep lying playmaker is what he could be. I feel he has a much more limited skill set than that.

Also, I would say the replacement we need for Carrick needs to contribute at a very high level next season, if we are going to compete for the PL and CL. Its not good replacing the Carrick we have had this season - we need to replace the Carrick we had over the 10 years. McTominay isn't near that level, imo, whether he has the potential to get there or not. We need a top class signing to replace Carrick and come into the first team starting 11.

I dunno, I have seen him (albeit very limited) in youth football, where he played up front a good proportion. I've not seen anything suggesting a deep lying playmaker is what he could be. I feel he has a much more limited skill set than that.

Also, I would say the replacement we need for Carrick needs to contribute at a very high level next season, if we are going to compete for the PL and CL. Its not good replacing the Carrick we have had this season - we need to replace the Carrick we had over the 10 years. McTominay isn't near that level, imo, whether he has the potential to get there or not. We need a top class signing to replace Carrick and come into the first team starting 11.

Thats why we signed Matic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement