Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I dunno, I have seen him (albeit very limited) in youth football, where he played up front a good proportion. I've not seen anything suggesting a deep lying playmaker is what he could be. I feel he has a much more limited skill set than that.

Also, I would say the replacement we need for Carrick needs to contribute at a very high level next season, if we are going to compete for the PL and CL. Its not good replacing the Carrick we have had this season - we need to replace the Carrick we had over the 10 years. McTominay isn't near that level, imo, whether he has the potential to get there or not. We need a top class signing to replace Carrick and come into the first team starting 11.

yep, we def need another top class player to come into midfield that can dictate play, a modric/kroos type player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats why we signed Matic.

So then Matic is Carrick's replacement, still not Scott so I am still on the money here. :)

I think if we are looking at Scott as our first choice answer to our midfield weaknesses next season then midfield is still going to be a problem for us.

McTominay can fight for that spot, but he should be starting next season as a second choice player, imo.

I agree with Mitch with Carrick(def) Fellaini (likely) and Herrera (possibly) leaving in the summer we are going to need recruitments so we should be going for top quality and starters and If tom forces his way into the team on Merit then fair play and if not a good squad option who should be happy to play a lesser role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads I wasn't saying we should play him next season :( I think we definilty need to invest in the midfield.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads I wasn't saying we should play him next season :( I think we definilty need to invest in the midfield.

the bit about saving us 60million with McTominay the replacement implied, to me, that you were looking at McTominay as the primary 'new' CM next season.

Hope Sky throw him out,spitting is the lowest of the low! He should have been well able to deal with provocation from United fans by this stage.If it was an ex United player I would feel the same!

the bit about saving us 60million with McTominay the replacement implied, to me, that you were looking at McTominay as the primary 'new' CM next season.

No it was cantonas collar that said about saving us 60 million not me I just replied to him have a look again.

I was saying I think long term Scott can be a direct replacement for Carrick but I wouldn't be going into next season counting on him as he is still developing.

No it was cantonas collar that said about saving us 60 million not me I just replied to him have a look again.

I was saying I think long term Scott can be a direct replacement for Carrick but I wouldn't be going into next season counting on him as he is still developing.

ah, ok, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Carrick was originally an attacking midfielder, later in his time at United he moved back into the position he plays in now.
    If Pep did that now with a player,the entire media would fawn at his feet. Ferguson was doing this before it was fashionable.

• Advertisement

ah, ok, sorry.

Your forgiven ;)

Carrick was originally an attacking midfielder, later in his time at United he moved back into the position he plays in now.
    If Pep did that now with a player,the entire media would fawn at his feet. Ferguson was doing this before it was fashionable.

dont think he was ever an attacking midfielder, even from his time at west ham or spurs

bangkok wrote: »
    dont think he was ever an attacking midfielder, even from his time at west ham or spurs

He was a centre forward as a kid he was more of an advanced midfielder with west ham I though I'm sure he didn't at as deep as he did with United.

He was a centre forward as a kid he was more of an advanced midfielder with west ham I though I'm sure he didn't at as deep as he did with United.

nearly everyone was a centre forward at some stage as a kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

nearly everyone was a centre forward at some stage as a kid :)

I never got the luxury :(

Always a fullback (failed CB as some say). Only ever got pushed up as far as right/left midfield haha!

Really?

I don't remember that being the case at all. I remember him playing as a deep lying play maker for England prior to United signing him, for certain. I feel he was a central midifielder at Spurs too.

Maybe he was an attacking midfielder for West Ham/youths but I really don't think he was converted from an attacking midfielder during his time at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He was more a box to box in his early days with west ham but moved to a more sitting midfielder than a roaming one towards the time of his move to Spurs. Remember this was in the days around when the role of DM was just being defined... He played both roles for Spurs and with us in the early days, and while he was decent enough, Fergie then using him as a deep lying playmaker, who was just brilliant at intercepting the ball, is where he really started to excel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

was carricks retirement not announced months ago? he was going to be joining the coaching staff as well

He told you months ago and now it's time to tell the rest of the world :)

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I never got the luxury :(

Always a fullback (failed CB as some say). Only ever got pushed up as far as right/left midfield haha!

I got Centre mid rw/lw striker goalkeeper. I was fast and tall and useless :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Spitting is one of the most scummy things you can do. Spitting at a 14 year girl is unforgiveable.

I hope he gets sacked this morning

Unforgivable, somebody get this lad a paper bag, he's hypervent

he could do some training later today, wouldnt rule him out yet

pogba did train this afternoon, should play tomorrow night

• Advertisement

I got Centre mid rw/lw striker goalkeeper. I was fast and tall and useless :pac:

I was short fat and slow so I was exclusively a goalie.

I faced that same situation with the underage school Gaelic team. Even though I was playing in attack for my club and had a decent left foot/hoof from distance, I had insulation on my bones and therefore a future in the team as a goalie.

What was the teacher's/coache's thinking? "Oh, Stu/Jayo is fat and takes up more space in the goals, therefore is automatically the best keeper we have!"

Someone would wanna tell DDG that he is far too skinny and that he should start chowing down the Peri's Hot Lips and Desperate Dan bars.

Old pic of me and Jayo...

wvqBRKW.png?2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bless, you got picked? I'm envious :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bless, you got picked? I'm envious :P

There was only 9 boys in our class so they used to play 4 on 4 into the same goal hahahaha so not only was a demoted to keeper I was also the one no one wanted ha :)

Tall and thin, goalkeeper from age 6 to 30 when I my knees finally gave in, absolutely loved playing in goal as I was a bit of a headcase :D plenty of broken bones and lost teeth..

Though I was a corner forward in the aul Gaelic footy, and a left wing back with the hurl through my teenage years, gave it up to focus solely on the goalkeeper.

Really miss it these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

astradave wrote: »
    Tall and thin, goalkeeper from age 6 to 30 when I my knees finally gave in, absolutely loved playing in goal as I was a bit of a headcase :D plenty of broken bones and lost teeth..

Though I was a corner forward in the aul Gaelic footy, and a left wing back with the hurl through my teenage years, gave it up to focus solely on the goalkeeper.

Really miss it these days

Can agree with this except i was more of the ilk of Barthez. Good agility but it was chaos at crosses :pac:
    But i always enjoyed goal as long as i could take penalties :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Average build... Played almost exclusively right full with an occasional left full run out or right mid. Missed 1 season from under 8's until 30..ish. dodgy knees so took up triathlon for 10 yrs... 2 torn cartilage left and right eventually retired me. Cycling and sea swims from June to Oct is my lot these days , still love footy though and get a kick watching my 6 yr old grandson, has a lovely left foot and is besotted with footy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I played mostly CM or on the wing growing up, initially was a striker, joined a new club cause my parents moved house, first game they stuck me RB and I gave away a penalty within mins, they never made that mistake again.

Tall, thin, not very fast, but I’ve the first touch only Dimitar Berbatov can rival ;)

has this place turned into a dating page?!

tall, thin agile

average build, dodgy knees,

small, fat

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• M!Ck^ was a striker, silky smooth and a great finisher....
    Pity M!Ck^ had Asthma and couldn't run for ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Played in goals. Was goal keeper when played gaelic football to.

Playing football was all I ever done until I got to likr 3rd year. Stupid bastard rugby school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I faced that same situation with the underage school Gaelic team. Even though I was playing in attack for my club and had a decent left foot/hoof from distance, I had insulation on my bones and therefore a future in the team as a goalie.

What was the teacher's/coache's thinking? "Oh, Stu/Jayo is fat and takes up more space in the goals, therefore is automatically the best keeper we have!"

Someone would wanna tell DDG that he is far too skinny and that he should start chowing down the Peri's Hot Lips and Desperate Dan bars.

Old pic of me and Jayo...

wvqBRKW.png?2

Mighty Ducks is my favorite movie! Never knew ye were in it :D

Played in goals. Was goal keeper when played gaelic football to.

Playing football was all I ever done until I got to likr 3rd year. Stupid bastard rugby school.

Played right mid most of my life. Snapped my cruciate ligament a few years back playing ball and got into coaching while rehabbing that. Playing small sided games now regualary and looking to get back to 11 a side next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As its what we are doing

Played all across the midfield, a right footer coming in off the left before it was cool. Played up front too, didn't enjoy the defensive duties as much but loved running at defenders and creating or shooting.

Couple of POTY awards to my name at underage level, bad injury while playing for my school team in a Munster cup (is it the Oscar Traynor?) something like that anyway cut short what was surely going to be a glittering career........................or not :)

I'd love to be doing what your doing now actually Mars, keep saying I'm going to get my badges and actually get properly involved in the sport again. Particularly at the underage level where its more, I dunno, pure for want of a better word!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lot of Keepers in here. I'll add to that list. :p

Kind of got thrown into at around 7 as our current keeper moved but I had an aptitude for it. Was much better in goal that my current role of "sub for last 5 minutes". :D

I was very tall for my age. The rest started to catch up around 15 but up till that point I had a big advantage of being able to touch the crossbar which most keepers couldnt without killing themselves. I coach a team at the moment with a great keeper but he's tiny. It makes a big difference.

I wasn't very agile. Some of the cat like stuff you see was way beyond me but I knew my angles well and had good 1v1 instincts. Penalties were my bread and butter. For most of my club football we had brilliant centre halves but our fullbacks were total disasters so we conceded a lot of peno's. One season we conceded 11 but only 3 led to goals so I was pretty proud of that.

Unfortunately I couldn't pick a pass to save my life so we usually lost possession when I had it. A massive hoof up the park was all I was good for. Pep ball it was not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Another goalkeeper here.. Well until I was moved to wing forward in my teens due to height, was all going good, then I lost interest...

Kinda wished I kept playing.. But hindsight is always 20/20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m great.

Kirby wrote: »
    Lot of Keepers in here. I'll add to that list. :p

Kind of got thrown into at around 7 as our current keeper moved but I had an aptitude for it. Was much better in goal that my current role of "sub for last 5 minutes". :D

I was very tall for my age. The rest started to catch up around 15 but up till that point I had a big advantage of being able to touch the crossbar which most keepers couldnt without killing themselves. I coach a team at the moment with a great keeper but he's tiny. It makes a big difference.

I wasn't very agile. Some of the cat like stuff you see was way beyond me but I knew my angles well and had good 1v1 instincts. Penalties were my bread and butter. For most of my club football we had brilliant centre halves but our fullbacks were total disasters so we conceded a lot of peno's. One season we conceded 11 but only 3 led to goals so I was pretty proud of that.

Unfortunately I couldn't pick a pass to save my life so we usually lost possession when I had it. A massive hoof up the park was all I was good for. Pep ball it was not. :p

I’ve always had very good distribution but by god I used to hate the managers, I would always be calling for my fullbacks to show for the ball quickly but the managers always demanded to hoof it up.. I prized myself on my throwing distribution though, I could start a counter by throwing to the opposite half by the time I was 14/15 or so. Played at the very top of the LSL from 16-30 so happy enough with my “career” so to speak.

Now that I have the young lad, even though he’s only a baba I want to get into coaching and get some badges going. Fecker will want to play basketball instead now watch :D

As its what we are doing

Played all across the midfield, a right footer coming in off the left before it was cool. Played up front too, didn't enjoy the defensive duties as much but loved running at defenders and creating or shooting.

Couple of POTY awards to my name at underage level, bad injury while playing for my school team in a Munster cup (is it the Oscar Traynor?) something like that anyway cut short what was surely going to be a glittering career........................or not :)

I'd love to be doing what your doing now actually Mars, keep saying I'm going to get my badges and actually get properly involved in the sport again. Particularly at the underage level where its more, I dunno, pure for want of a better word!
    Oscar traynor is squads of the best junior players from all leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Was too busy drinking taking drugs and playing in heavy metal bands to actually participate in sport, bar a kick around with the lads.

I did do a line with Billy Young’s daughter in my youth(any old Bohs fans will know who it is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

adox wrote: »
    Was too busy drinking taking drugs and playing in heavy metal bands to actually participate in sport, bar a kick around with the lads.

This was the ultimate downfall of not just me, but an entire feckin team!

We won the league 3 seasons in a row, went unbeaten the last season in that run. Were relegated the next season winning about 3 games all year.

Whiskey, Weed, Cans and Pills.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Played as a striker who had the same strike rate as Shane Long,scored a hat trick of disallowed goals one day,after the third the ref was told to go fu*k himself and he hadnt a clue about the offside rule,he still doesnt

Then moved back to CM,fancied myself as a bit of Roy Keane/Patrick Vieira all rolled into one,but in truth I was more of Glenn Whelan,used play the sitting CM role and there was plenty of short sideway passes going on

Enjoyed it though and there was plenty of take the man and ball tackles :D

Nearly everyone on here seems like they were keepers....

Is it ok to say its the only position i never played in and that i hated??? :)

Nearly everyone on here seems like they were keepers....

Is it ok to say its the only position i never played in and that i hated??? :)

Even my wife was one.

When I first introduced her to the lads they said “she’s a keeper..”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Whiskey, Weed, Cans and Pills.

Also known as breakfast back in the late 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd always be missing the knees in all me trousers as a kid cause played so much football on the street.

I remember in school as well me ma coming back after a parent teacher meeting well Richard is doing this he's not doing well enough in this bla bla but..... He's a great goalkeeper!

Made my day ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

adox wrote: »
    I somehow managed to do all of the above as well as a few seasons at u-16 / u-18 level as a centre then full back.

Played a few games at senior level but the excess of college life started to take its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Started off on Super soccer on the Nintendo where I used to play all my friends in the peno shoot outs. Made my way to Sensible soccer and spent most my time at Trad Brick stadium. Wasn’t long before Fifa got me hooked but Pro Evolution in the mid 2000’s was the place I enjoyed. Fell out of love with all of them around 2010 and retired from playing any more computer football. Now I no longer use technology to play it, I use technology to talk shíte about it and try to annoy pjohnson by telling him McTominay wasn’t excellent against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Played for Notts Forest Underage which I talked about before.

Have few regrets. Never really had that drive and now feel lie I wasted it a little.

A country boy moving alone to a different country is not easy. Even my relatives over there did not bother as was not United.

A certain Mr Clough once told me I was a John Mcgovern in a Ballerina costume.

My diet was more Richard Dunne even that young too:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement