Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Another case of partying over football,I was a decent keeper but had notions of being a winger. Having pace helped there,had a spell at right back too.
    My problem was chasing young ladies and getting pissed. I see lads now going into virtual hibernation during the season. We used to be out all night on a Saturday and turn up to play on a Sunday morning,that doesn't happen so much now.

The missus puts me to shame in the medals and trophies tally though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fags and cans tbh.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

adox wrote: »
    I did do a line with Billy Young’s daughter in my youth(any old Bohs fans will know who it is)

Only counts if you scored ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Game day!

Hope the confidence is high after the Pool game. Would be amazing to be back in the QFs of the Champions League again. We can start dreaming properly again then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sevilla are the arsenal of la liga this season. Sometimes they're very good other times call them bad seems overly generous. More often this season it's been the latter.

That said I don't think the performance against Liverpool was near as impressive as people made it out to be. Liverpool controlled that second half and if they'd bit more composure when space was created they'd have got decent attempts at goal. Heck often times it Liverpool's own players who took their potential opportunities away from their teammate. The worry thing for united this season was apart from against Arsenal their defensive transitions have looked very weak. As result they make things much much harder than they should be for themselves. Sustaining a constant rear guard without being able to penetrate the defensive lines of the attacking team is a monumental task - and a real testament to Jose's organisational skills. Buy well in the summer and the burden on that rear guard should ease considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I feel a hell of a lot more confident playing anyone once we have Bailly fully fit.

Anyone find a ppg percentage with and without him at a guess I'd say it's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Im worried about tonight.

We have had the perfect 10 days in terms of results and grit from the team.

It's only a matter of time before my cornflakes get plussed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is that some weird insurance saying or something :p

I’m confident tbh, and it’s the first time in a long time I have been. Really looking forward to the match tonight. Nothing quiet like knockout Champions League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh, reminds me of the Monaco tie where we drew 0-0 away and 1-1 at home. That was the United team that won the champions league the next season! These are awkward ties no matter the opposition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Week 31 last few Seasons
    Last season 7 points behind inferior goal difference
    2016 ahead plus superior goal difference
    2015 5 points behind similar Goal difference
    2014 2 points ahead, much better Goal difference

This is based on our stats up to 30 games played this season. Feels like the team is taking big bites out of the gap over the last 4 years. If next season continues the progress it’s hard to not see united challanging proper for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

One thing is for sure, sevilla have a much better midfield than we faced on saturday an we will need another big game tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't wait for tonight. If it was going to be easy there would be no excitement

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Game day!

Hope the confidence is high after the Pool game. Would be amazing to be back in the QFs of the Champions League again. We can start dreaming properly again then :)

Exciting, these games are what I miss the most.
    I think we can do it tonight for sure, confidance has to be high too.

• Turtwig wrote: »
    Sevilla are the arsenal of la liga this season. Sometimes they're very good other times call them bad seems overly generous. More often this season it's been the latter.

That said I don't think the performance against Liverpool was near as impressive as people made it out to be. Liverpool controlled that second half and if they'd bit more composure when space was created they'd have got decent attempts at goal. Heck often times it Liverpool's own players who took their potential opportunities away from their teammate. The worry thing for united this season was apart from against Arsenal their defensive transitions have looked very weak. As result they make things much much harder than they should be for themselves. Sustaining a constant rear guard without being able to penetrate the defensive lines of the attacking team is a monumental task - and a real testament to Jose's organisational skills. Buy well in the summer and the burden on that rear guard should ease considerably.

I'd argue with Baily available we looked much more stable.
    Sometimes it just comes down to your best players not being available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Also we will need at least 2 goals. Be a nervy last 15min if we were only one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Week 31 last few Seasons
    Last season 7 points behind inferior goal difference
    2016 ahead plus superior goal difference
    2015 5 points behind similar Goal difference
    2014 2 points ahead, much better Goal difference

This is based on our stats up to 30 games played this season. Feels like the team is taking big bites out of the gap over the last 4 years. If next season continues the progress it’s hard to not see united challanging proper for the league.
    What are these stats? At this stage last season we had 7 less points than we have now? But in 2013/14 we were 2 points better off?

• Pool fan starting the match thread....praying for a Sevilla result...tee hee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pool fan starting the match thread....praying for a Sevilla result...tee hee :D

I'll let the users wanting us to lose have their thread and enjoy it.

Looking forward to tonight, but be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pool fan starting the match thread....praying for a Sevilla result...tee hee :D

That's a surprise - I genuinely thought we wanted you to go all the way in the same you hope Liverpool do...

(Seriously though - you need to get in there quicker and start your own match threads a day or two before!)

EDIT - I just read the post: where does he say he's praying for a Sevilla result?
    Can Sevilla spoil Saturday's party? You would think not given Mourinho's record, but Sevilla have a European pedigree of their own and should be absent of any pressure tonight. It could develop into a very interesting tie if Utd don't get a goal in the first 20 mins or so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• That's a surprise - I genuinely thought we wanted you to go all the way in the same you hope Liverpool do...

(Seriously though - you need to get in there quicker and start your own match threads a day or two before!)

EDIT - I just read the post: where does he say he's praying for a Sevilla result?

I'm not on the match thread roll. I think Bret Hart was on a winning streak :P

It doesn't saying he's praying. I'm taking a strong guess he is though!
    Unless of course he's hoping we go all the way as you say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm not religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm not on the match thread roll. I think Bret Hart was on a winning streak :P

It doesn't saying he's praying. I'm taking a strong guess he is though!
    Unless of course he's hoping we go all the way as you say :)

In that case you could have been a little bit clearer!

You see, THIS is how all the misconceptions about Liverpool fans get started. And then people like you actually believe them! In any case, I'm relatively neutral tonight myself - apart from City, I don't think any of the British teams are capable of winning it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm not religious.

Nope, you are just the voice of reason

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to tonights game,would love to see a fast start like the old school CL games at home,go out and nail the opposition and be 2 up after 30 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd happily take a similar result to the one we had the weekend against Liverpool only this time I hope we don't score an own goal for the away team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Just hope the lads have recovered from Saturday’s party. No other reason we shouldn’t qualify.

• In that case you could have been a little bit clearer!

You see, THIS is how all the misconceptions about Liverpool fans get started. And then people like you actually believe them! In any case, I'm relatively neutral tonight myself - apart from City, I don't think any of the British teams are capable of winning it.

Actually **** it I can't take your opinion seriously, when I read what your opinions are elsewhere.

Whinging about a poster in 2 different threads :rolleyes:

So we have gone from having the superthreads closed and us piling into one match thread to having segregated match thread. The revolution is complete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

DAMN !! Too slow again. I've got too pick it up with the match threads.

• Whinging about a poster in 2 different threads :rolleyes:

It's pathetic and selective. Having a winge about the humour thread too. What's funny is I've also posted plenty that takes the piss out of Utd also but he left that bit out to suit what's essentially a little agenda team having a right go.
    Same in the thread the other week. I didn't even post in it and someone felt the need to bring me into it.

Absolutely wound up because liverpool lost at the weekend. Take it out on me. That's what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United will need a very good performance tonight to go through - we have the attacking quality but we need to be better in defence and midfield than we were in the first leg.

against the grain I actually prefer playing the home leg first, and think our result in the last match was a poor one.

We are going to have to win tonight to go through - a draw (score) will do for Seville. Hopefully Sanchez remembers how to football, i expect him to play, and we need him to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shaktar CEO, Sergei Palkin, who gave an interview to Corriere dello Sport on Tuesday.

He said: “Fred isn’t already at Manchester City, but he will surely leave in June. If not to City, then Manchester United. He’s ready for the next stage, because as well as being good, he’s also very professional. If he asked us to stay another year, we’d let him.”

So that suggests Manchester United have expressed their interest in the 25-year-old, which would make sense considering their need for a midfielder.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/ceo-confirms-man-united-interest-midfielder-player-reveals-man-city-offer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

United will need a very good performance tonight to go through - we have the attacking quality but we need to be better in defence and midfield than we were in the first leg.

against the grain I actually prefer playing the home leg first, and think our result in the last match was a poor one.

We are going to have to win tonight to go through - a draw (score) will do for Seville. Hopefully Sanchez remembers how to football, i expect him to play, and we need him to football.

Nahh, Utd will have more than enough for Seville. Think this will be a 3 or 4 goal thrashing, cagey for 5 or ten then a goal and Utd will go on the rampage, Sanchez with 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

While I have no criticism of your opinion, each to their own and all that it does perplex me. I always prefer to play away first, more pressure on the opposition straight away and you will know exactly what is needed at home where you are presumably capable of getting better results.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Nahh, Utd will have more than enough for Seville. Think this will be a 3 or 4 goal thrashing, cagey for 5 or ten then a goal and Utd will go on the rampage, Sanchez with 2.

None of your reverse jinxing in here!

I am sticking with the same prediction I had at the weekend of a comfortable home win though yeah. :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I just wish we were playing Ajax;):D

While I have no criticism of your opinion, each to their own and all that it does perplex me. I always prefer to play away first, more pressure on the opposition straight away and you will know exactly what is needed at home where you are presumably capable of getting better results.

I think knowing what you need to do in terms of the more valuable away goals is better - and it is possible to be given an extra 30 minutes to get an all important away goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I get the feeling Fred to City is done, but Shaktar want more money so are trying to present a bidding war.

• Advertisement

It's pathetic and selective. Having a winge about the humour thread too. What's funny is I've also posted plenty that takes the piss out of Utd also but he left that bit out to suit what's essentially a little agenda team having a right go.
    Same in the thread the other week. I didn't even post in it and someone felt the need to bring me into it.

Absolutely wound up because liverpool lost at the weekend. Take it out on me. That's what I think.

Some of them have taken it really badly. I think all those “not confident” guys were actually really confident but didn’t want to say it just in case :)

Some of them have taken it really badly. I think all those “not confident” guys were actually really confident but didn’t want to say it just in case :)

Obviously, there was a lot who vocalised the opinion they were clearly the second best team in the league sure. Playing the best attacking football in Europe etc (Actually, that best attack in Europe schtick reminded me of when they used to have the best midfield in Europe :D)

Unfortunately when you get swept up in the hype the crash can be very hard. Accepting your just not as good as you 100% believe you are is tough.

Liverpool are a very good team, nothing special though. They may continue their improving trajectory or they may Spurs. Time will tell. Neither of us have been close to City this year which is ultimately what matters.

None of your reverse jinxing in here!

I am sticking with the same prediction I had at the weekend of a comfortable home win though yeah. :)

5 wins on the bounce vs their recent thrashing at the hands of Atleti. Since playing them last they have lost and won 2 ad Man U have won them all. Cannot see anything but home win. Particularly if DeGea ignores the request from Seville to save his best stuff for the world cup :)

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-sevilla-have-sent-david-de-gea-a-message-on-twitter-ahead-of-cl-tie-20180313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

While I expect that he will start, I wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez dropped and Tony M (if fit enough) replace him or even throw Pogba in a more advanced role. Otherwise same side as Saturday.

5 wins on the bounce vs their recent thrashing at the hands of Atleti. Since playing them last they have lost and won 2 ad Man U have won them all. Cannot see anything but home win. Particularly if DeGea ignores the request from Seville to save his best stuff for the world cup :)

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-sevilla-have-sent-david-de-gea-a-message-on-twitter-ahead-of-cl-tie-20180313

Ha!

They are probably saving themselves for the cup though, they were lethal in the Europa sure while never threatening the league

The tweet in that link about DeGea and the reaction time is unreal..

Shot taken from 6.5 yards out..
    DeGea reaction time 0.24 of a second

That’s fûckin unbelievable

astradave wrote: »
    The tweet in that link about DeGea and the reaction time is unreal..

Shot taken from 6.5 yards out..
    DeGea reaction time 0.24 of a second

That’s fûckin unbelievable

Yeah was amazed when I saw it, close to an Olympic sprinters reaction time out of the blocks when when they hear the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Glorious viewing.

ElChe32 wrote: »

Glorious viewing.

You legend! I’ve been waiting for this video to pop up

Just watching that from the different angles, now he is no way at fault for that goal but VVD reaction was very slow on the turn. Could be something to exploit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

ElChe32 wrote: »

Glorious viewing.

That is class

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement