Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Go on

GO ON!!!

YEAAAAAS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Go on

GO ON!!!

YEAAAAAS!

Your stream is way slow pal that race finished at 10 to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

@MiguelDelaney

#Pogback tonight. To step in for McTominay, with team likely to otherwise be the same as against Liverpool. Bailly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Delboy5 wrote: »
    @MiguelDelaney

#Pogback tonight. To step in for McTominay, with team likely to otherwise be the same as against Liverpool. Bailly fine.

hmmmmm.....

I feel conflicted.

I believe Pogba is a waaaaaayyyyy better footballer but my conservative side feels better with a solid two, allowing pogba to roam a bit, rather than needing pogba to be conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah could see that change alright with a more offensive outlook

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQczEABVzo/

If he goes near a football pitch with that I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »

latest?cb=20170709133442

pjohnson wrote: »
    latest?cb=20170709133442

Exactly what I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He should put a bra on his head just to complete the look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Seen that earlier. Was afraid to post it.

No words

• Advertisement

He should put a bra on his head just to complete the look.

CSrIZIWWEAAnyL4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Guarantee he did it as a piss take, no way it will be like that tonight

Hococop wrote: »
    Guarantee he did it as a piss take, no way it will be like that tonight

Yeah it looks like a pr stunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Galatasaray colours???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shame Angry Di Maria https://twitter.com/angry_dimaria?lang=en isn't still around to comment on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah it looks like a pr stunt

Its from a photo shoot for GQ, it says it in in the post - with a credit to the stylist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Don’t worry lads the very next post by GQ was directed at Bangkok’s lady :D with a full head of hair

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQ5hosHLPy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

hmmmmm.....

I feel conflicted.

I believe Pogba is a waaaaaayyyyy better footballer but my conservative side feels better with a solid two, allowing pogba to roam a bit, rather than needing pogba to be conservative.

I would drop Mata and Put Sanchez out on the right with Pogba as the 10, but i achknowledge its not the game to try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I would drop Mata and Put Sanchez out on the right with Pogba as the 10, but i achknowledge its not the game to try it!

Mata is playing much better than sanchez. Thought he was excellent against liverpool

Expected goals prevented by the Big Six goalkeepers this season

https://twitter.com/pogballer_/status/972919811452952577?s=21

• Advertisement

Get out of the Liverpool thread were just lucky and our defence is bad.

Esit: just seen you used different source ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That's just insane . .

I still don't get why they don't throw a massive contract at him and put him on parity with highest paid player at the club.

Does anyone know how that xg saves thing works exactly? where Pro.f when you need him.

I see it has all the goals we conceeded minus the Liverpool game but does a striker missing a sitter (hitting the post) count or is it just the saves made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Why on earth would you want Mata dropped? He's arguably been our most consistent attacking player the whole season and on the form of the previous two games alone should be guaranteed a place

Does anyone know how that xg saves thing works exactly? where Pro.f when you need him.

I see it has all the goals we conceeded minus the Liverpool game but does a striker missing a sitter (hitting the post) count or is it just the saves made?

From what I can see it doesn’t necessarily mean that DeGea saved it, just that there was an expected goal but we didn’t concede from it.. I’m sure even defenders blocking on the line an all would be takin into that

There is no freely distributed expected saves stats as far as I'm aware although I would be surprised if a model is not being worked on somewhere. This is just a sum of the xG of all opponents compared with the sum of goals actually conceded.

And not going into the specifics of xG calculation at all but by any goalkeeping stat De Gea is comfortably ahead of the other top teams. Kinda had it out on here a while ago with poster(s) who suggested he wasn't as good this year as he had been other seasons and his saves per goal conceded alone is off the charts.

Im not trying to take away credit from DeGea as he is a beast.

But is that xg stat more indicative that we concede a lot of chances or shots compared to the other teams in the list but maybe not high value chances per say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Strong enough team loads of pace upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Happy with that line up. Well capable of getting the job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Don't like the look of that team.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Strong enough team loads of pace upfront.

Would have liked to see Scott start but I can see what Jose is doing here

Fellani and Matic side by side is pure strength

• Liam O wrote: »
    Don't like the look of that team.

It's erratic selection somewhat. Depends on how the midfield actually lines up.
    Look like Lingard may drop in behind Lukaku and do some grunt work in mid also. He didn't do this so well the last time I remember though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Probably our best XI. Mata unlucky to drop out.

Not mad about that line-up.

Fellaini only back from injury and is straight in for a very important, must-win game. McTominay making progress in the team lately, I don't see the need for the change tonight.

Plenty of power in CM with Matic and Fellaini of course, but with both Pogba and Mata out I'm concerned about where our creativity is going to come from. Hopefully Sanchez can do better on that front tonight than in the last few games.

Again...where is Luke Shaw?

It's gas, Jose said he could be United's left back for years to come, and since then I think we've seen Shaw once in about 6 games :pac:

Ok i was a game early it seems Felllaini 2 assists a goal and mom calling it

• Not mad about that line-up.

Fellaini only back from injury and is straight in for a very important, must-win game. McTominay making progress in the team lately, I don't see the need for the change tonight.

Plenty of power in CM with Matic and Fellaini of course, but with both Pogba and Mata out I'm concerned about where our creativity is going to come from. Hopefully Sanchez can do better on that front tonight than in the last few games.

It's gas, Jose said he could be United's left back for years to come, and since then I think we've seen Shaw once in about 6 games :pac:

I would have preferred him alongside Matic & Fellani. Thought he has earned his place.

Such a huge game to be experimenting in.

Sanchez really needs a big game from an attacking point of view. He's blown hot and cold even though he is working hard. But not enough from what I expect from him so far.

Bit perplexed by that to be honest. All depends on where exactly Lingard lines up but if its a conventional 4231 then dropping Mata for him makes no sense on form alone.

Struggle to see who provides the incisiveness in the team at all; plenty of reactive players there but if Sevilla batten down the hatches or worse still go a goal up then we could really find it difficult to create.

• Advertisement

Miguel needs to check his sources :D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would have preferred him alongside Matic & Fellani. Thought he has earned his place.

Such a huge game to be experimenting in.

Sanchez really needs a big game from an attacking point of view. He's blown hot and cold even though he is working hard. But not enough from what I expect from him so far.

It's not really an experiment it's pretty much the same shape as against pool and im sure jose knows where fellaini is with his fitness.

Mctominay has done really well lately but he is also just coming into the side I'd imagine Jose is looking at it as a long term ease him in instead of having him there for every game.

He might give the ball away a million times a minute but Alexi does create chances for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Not mad about that line-up.

Think there's a few things at play here.

McT ran his socks off against Liverpool so it adds some freshness.
    Fellaini boosts the defensive side of things for set pieces
    Fellaini boosts attack for set pieces

Really? Young's on fire.

• Fair points limnam & Jayo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fellaini should be a step up on McTominay.

Mata worked so hard v Liverpool I am not surprised to see him out. I would prefer he played but see why he is out. For pace it makes sense to play Lingard in a game that United have to go out and win. Expect Jose has something about Seville he wants that group of forwards in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I am happy to give Jose to benefit of the doubt here on his decision to bring Fellaini/Lingard in for McT/Mata.

We have some nice options on the bench to mix things up should the plan be a massive success/failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Jose worried about Seville getting an away goal here judging by the line up and hes probably right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fellaini worries me in Europe. Refs seem to like feck all contact and any elbows will be judged more harshly.

It's not really an experiment it's pretty much the same shape as against pool and im sure jose knows where fellaini is with his fitness.

Mctominay has done really well lately but he is also just coming into the side I'd imagine Jose is looking at it as a long term ease him in instead of having him there for every game.

I don't disagree that McTominay could likely do with a rest, I'm just looking for some consistency. That team should be full of confidence from the weekend, I don't see the harm in leaving it as it was for tonight's must-win.

The FA Cup game at the weekend would be the one I'd be looking to give players a rest in, not tonight's game.
    limnam wrote: »
    Think there's a few things at play here.

McT ran his socks off against Liverpool so it adds some freshness.
    Fellaini boosts the defensive side of things for set pieces
    Fellaini boosts attack for set pieces

Really? Young's on fire.

It's not even about tonight specifically, it's just the complete non-use of Shaw lately after 1) He returned to the team and showed promise, and 2) Was backed with positive words from the manager.

A few weeks ago, other posters were suggesting that maybe Jose trusted Young more for away games and might use Shaw for home games, but I think at this stage Jose just trusts Young more in general.

Young isn't on fire, IMO. I like him, he's had one or two very good performances in recent games and the rest have been solid enough. I've no problems with him in the team as such, just wondering wtf happened or is happening with Shaw.

Don't get me wrong here, I like both Fellaini and Young. I just find that line-up uninspiring. Watch now as Fellaini scores one and creates another, and Young gives a career-best performance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement